This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Did AGS not intervene in the irrelevant shop?
    Uniformed, unarmed Gardai arrived. When they arrived he already had the knife. So how he got it is not relevant. Which is the point I have made repeatedly, and the one which you keep trying to change from.

The ESU did not attend at the shop. They arrived at his house. So the threat assessment for the officer who shot is based on what the ESU knew, heard and saw from the moment they arrived.

You are arguing a whole bunch of entirely baseless hypotheticals. Why?? What are you trying to achieve?
    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Name change to Combatman .

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
        On a lighter note, I have 4 months+ of planning for my new home-office to get stuck into chairs and desk reviews.

What are we all sitting on these days? Any good recommendations? Don't want to overspend but have also been crippled by horrific chairs for last year now, so am happy to budget up if required.
        Make it 5+ months

Comment

England -not UK- statistics office believe that 1.1m people were infected with Covid between 27th Dec and 2nd Jan. Pretty insane if correct.

They plan to have 13m people vaccinated by mid Feb which seems to be an incredibly quick roll out.
          I think we're looking to have 135k by end of Feb.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
            Quick, are you serious

If the ARU is needed then its inside 5 minutes not within an hour. 15 minutes should be possible anywhere in the City .
            I don't think I'm making my point well at all.
            I'm not even sure if I have it straight in my own head.

ASU was waiting for him when I got home, according to this.
            https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...50000?mode=amp

I'm struggling to see how the determinisation was made that they were needed up to that point. There seems to have been zero attempt to stop him getting home.

I don't doubt that the situation had escalated to the point that lethal force was needed/justified. Just that getting there might have been averted.
            The article also states that two shots ended up inside the family home, that seems, well troublesome.

The GSOC report on this will need to be watertight.

edit...I dunno, I'm mentally tying myself in knots about this. I'm gonna stop speculating.
            Last edited by DeadParrot; 05-01-21, 22:10.
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
              England -not UK- statistics office believe that 1.1m people were infected with Covid between 27th Dec and 2nd Jan. Pretty insane if correct.

They plan to have 13m people vaccinated by mid Feb which seems to be an incredibly quick roll out.
              135k on the faces of it seems like a decent number but when you break it down it's a ridiculously low number..... like 2.5% of the population. Let's hope it will be significantly ramped up in the succeeding months.... well, lets not hope, it simply needs to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

David Higgins has a back of napkin 'model' or whatever you might call it about getting to 135k saying basically that supply is likely to be the constraint in that time horizon. You'd have to hope Moderna & Astra Zenica coming on stream might give scope for a big boost to that.

Eq_bbDyXAAQZ_Us?format=png&name=medium.png

Seeing loads of estimates around the difference vaccinating the oldest people and the healthcare workers makes to pressure on the health system which is one of the good things about this - ok it's slow ramping up but even the paltry numbers you're doing early on have a totally disproportionate impact on how fucked everything is. I confidently predict (read - blind optimism) we'll get bigger numbers done quicker than what everyone is talking about.

Have booked a week's accommodation in Val Thorens in the vanishlingly unlikely hope that I'll be able to go skiing at the end of March. Free cancellation, but fingers/toes crossed for a last hurrah before the impending time-sink of fatherhood.

Comment

Covjan4.JPG
                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

David Higgins has a back of napkin 'model' or whatever you might call it about getting to 135k saying basically that supply is likely to be the constraint in that time horizon. You'd have to hope Moderna & Astra Zenica coming on stream might give scope for a big boost to that.

Eq_bbDyXAAQZ_Us?format=png&name=medium.png

Seeing loads of estimates around the difference vaccinating the oldest people and the healthcare workers makes to pressure on the health system which is one of the good things about this - ok it's slow ramping up but even the paltry numbers you're doing early on have a totally disproportionate impact on how fucked everything is. I confidently predict (read - blind optimism) we'll get bigger numbers done quicker than what everyone is talking about.

Have booked a week's accommodation in Val Thorens in the vanishlingly unlikely hope that I'll be able to go skiing at the end of March. Free cancellation, but fingers/toes crossed for a last hurrah before the impending time-sink of fatherhood.
                    end of march is wildly optimistic dude
                    Parenthood will soon quash that streak in you
                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

Uniformed, unarmed Gardai arrived. When they arrived he already had the knife. So how he got it is not relevant. Which is the point I have made repeatedly, and the one which you keep trying to change from.

The ESU did not attend at the shop. They arrived at his house. So the threat assessment for the officer who shot is based on what the ESU knew, heard and saw from the moment they arrived.

You are arguing a whole bunch of entirely baseless hypotheticals. Why?? What are you trying to achieve?
                      As you know the Barr Tribunal was charged with investigating the facts and circumstances surrounding the fatal shooting of John Carty. Have a look at all the factors Barr considered relevant, and then tell me that, how Nkencho came to possess the knife, is not relevant.

With all the clamor around the shooting, I expect we will see a similar inquiry in this case. We shall see what factors are considered.

If you are happy to boil everything down to "You wave a knife at the cops, you get shot....simples" then so be it.
                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

end of march is wildly optimistic dude
                        Parenthood will soon quash that streak in you
                        Booked it ages ago, free cancellation so nothing to lose. I might see about making another speculative booking for April.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                          Now thats what we can call a meaningful christmas

FFS
                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

As you know the Barr Tribunal was charged with investigating the facts and circumstances surrounding the fatal shooting of John Carty. Have a look at all the factors Barr considered relevant, and then tell me that, how Nkencho came to possess the knife, is not relevant.

With all the clamor around the shooting, I expect we will see a similar inquiry in this case. We shall see what factors are considered.

If you are happy to boil everything down to "You wave a knife at the cops, you get shot....simples" then so be it.
                            First - trying to reduce my view to such a silly line is transparent. Don’t do that.

Secondly, the Abbeylara case was a siege. The factors are entirely different and the circumstances aren’t even remotely comparable. I am very well aware of the Barr Report so why don’t you tell me what lessons from that mean the manner in which he came to be in possession of the knife is relevant?

Comment

I have to admit despite all the snickering here today that my immediate response to the story and the 'they couldn't subdue him so had to shoot him' bit was also 'why the fuck don't they have nets'.
                              Every so often, you remind us, that long ago, you were the Luke to Strewel's Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

First - trying to reduce my view to such a silly line is transparent. Don’t do that.

Secondly, the Abbeylara case was a siege. The factors are entirely different and the circumstances aren’t even remotely comparable. I am very well aware of the Barr Report so why don’t you tell me what lessons from that mean the manner in which he came to be in possession of the knife is relevant?
                                Sorry about the obvious pop. I'm getting more than a little frustrated by this.

Of course the factors are different. Why are you being deliberately obtuse? There are factors to be considered nonetheless.

So the "mean and manner of possession" is sometimes relevant, yes?

Barr considered the "Suicide by Cop' scenario? Might possession of the knife, prior to entering the shop, speak of intent, or give a indication of the state of mind of Nkencho on the day?

Remember we are discussing the facts and circumstances surrounding the shooting, not just the shooting itself.
                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                  As Donald says, stop bloody testing and the numbers will go down !
                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

I hope the plan isn't that as soon as all the old people are vaccinated we should all go out and walk around getting infected. Like I want the virus wiped out, not just that it stops killing old people.

Seems its all about the Astra-Zeneca goodness. For holidays, I'd say June bookings will lead to heartbreak, but may as a result have the best value. August flights, hotels, everything are going to cost the absolute moon.
                                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Surely Trump can't have lost them the two senate seats. That would be hilarious. Still too early to know anything obv - but that's nearly half the votes counted!

Comment

Put a bit of cash on Perdue (Republicans) to win at 3.5. Seems far too generous given they have only counted the early votes so far.

Comment

Part of me believes he wants them to lose, helps the next campaign if whole sale changes enacted. Can really play up the divide and disappointments Vs trying to make changes and Mitch blocking everything.

Especially if a black woman appointed to supreme court.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                            So the executioner should perhaps remember his duty is to protect ALL life . I really doubt it would be an issue in countries where life is cheap I dont think we are there yet (ganglands aside) . I hope not but from reading comments online , we really have regressed . As Clint said . Hell of a thing , killing a man
                                            Protecting Life is exactly why the trigger was pulled. Surprised this needs to yo pointed out.

Comment

Means and manner is possession is relevant to the overall case as a matter of factual record.
                                              But I’m not sure why you think it’s relevant to the endgame, or actions anyone took.

I think we all agree that when AGS/ASU are in scene, he has a knife. As it escalated, they attempted pepperspray, tazer, warning shots, followed by shooting.

How should they have acted differently if he;
                                              a) brought the knife with him
                                              b) acquired the knife after the initial altercation.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                I hope the plan isn't that as soon as all the old people are vaccinated we should all go out and walk around getting infected. Like I want the virus wiped out, not just that it stops killing old people.

Seems its all about the Astra-Zeneca goodness. For holidays, I'd say June bookings will lead to heartbreak, but may as a result have the best value. August flights, hotels, everything are going to cost the absolute moon.
                                                My thoughts pre Xmas was that reopening the country should have been pegged against some sort of vaccination rate.
                                                That remains my opinion and is the approach I hope they take.

Once frontline workers, vulnerable, over 65 and perhaps Gardai/teachers are vaccinated then I can get on board with people largely taking ownership of their own decisions.

Im not suggesting a total reopening but instead of case numbers dictating how we move through “levels”, the primary component should be x% of the above sub-groups and then case rates/hospitalisation/R number considered.

I know you and others have largely dismissed the government at fault narrative which I understand but I think they bowed to sentimentality when reopening the country.
                                                They shouldn’t be directly blamed for the case numbers but they can be blamed for diverging substantially from the medical advice for no other reason than public pressure during a holiday period.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                  Protecting Life is exactly why the trigger was pulled. Surprised this needs to yo pointed out.

I think the word ALL is missing from your reading of my post

have a think about that .

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                    Put a bit of cash on Perdue (Republicans) to win at 3.5. Seems far too generous given they have only counted the early votes so far.
                                                    Networks are calling it 2-0 for the Dems (at least you and I are back on form with our political punditry).

That gives, by a senatorial ball hair, Biden control of the Hill. He can get shit done now.
                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Sorry about the obvious pop. I'm getting more than a little frustrated by this.

Of course the factors are different. Why are you being deliberately obtuse? There are factors to be considered nonetheless.

Barr considered the "Suicide by Cop' scenario? Might possession of the knife, prior to entering the shop, speak of intent, or give a indication of the state of mind of Nkencho on the day?

Remember we are discussing the facts and circumstances surrounding the shooting, not just the shooting itself.
                                                      He had a knife on him going into the shop.

Comment

Ah yes, a bit more investigation reveals Warnock ahead of the (incredibly horrible) Loeffler by 40k votes and Ossoff ahead of Purdue by a mere 3,600.

But with striking similarity to the presidential election, the few votes yet to be counted are from the Atlanta metropolitan area, which is 80% Democrat. It's done.

So that means Trump lost even more bigly. On another positive note, this will surely encourage the GOP to dump the crazy man. Or even better, tear themselves apart over him.

Comment

So Georgia has elected a black preacher (from the same church as Martin Luther King) and a Jewish activist to the Senate.

The South doesn't look like the South no more. Like, Georgia is where Richard Russell came from (held back Civil Rights legislation for decades in the Senate). And the infamous Lester Maddox.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                            Ah yes, a bit more investigation reveals Warnock ahead of the (incredibly horrible) Loeffler by 40k votes and Ossoff ahead of Purdue by a mere 3,600.

But with striking similarity to the presidential election, the few votes yet to be counted are from the Atlanta metropolitan area, which is 80% Democrat. It's done.

So that means Trump lost even more bigly. On another positive note, this will surely encourage the GOP to dump the crazy man. Or even better, tear themselves apart over him.
                                                            The GOP and their cowardly handling and support of Trump has been one of the most idiotic miscalculations in modern US political history . The big worry is the rock has been lifted and every racist nutjob that crawled out will not let go of Trumpism. Atrocities await. On the plus side 'most' people reject his reign of blather.

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Incredible news to wake up to. So happy to see that geebag Loeffler beaten.

Ossof to bring it home now. Incredible fun ahead.
                                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

One of her big campaign slogans was 'I'm to the right of Genghis Khan!'

She'll just have to comfort herself with her extremely large fortune.

Comment

Trump destroying Mike Pence is also delicious.

Comment

Trump destroying Mike Pence is also delicious.
                                                                      Should be some good theatre tonight when Congress certifies.

If you read the Woodward book, Pence is always portrayed as the guy who takes people aside after Trump has gone off on a rant\done something crazy, looks into their eyes and says 'this will pass'. Which in my view makes him even more dangerous. The Bormann to Trump's Hitler if you will.

Comment

Ossoff now over 12k ahead.

Comment

What great news to start the day with

Comment

What great news to start the day with
                                                                            The vote leads are growing by the minute too as the heavily blue Atlanta counties finish up. Ossoff now has a bigger lead (16k) than Biden won the state with and Warnock is out of sight.

Looking forward to more refusal to concede and vote rigging conspiracy theories today.

Comment

Should be some good theatre tonight when Congress certifies.

If you read the Woodward book, Pence is always portrayed as the guy who takes people aside after Trump has gone off on a rant\done something crazy, looks into their eyes and says 'this will pass'. Which in my view makes him even more dangerous. The Bormann to Trump's Hitler if you will.
                                                                              I've yet to start that because I haven't been able to stomach it while it's all been still happening. I hope it will be a bit cathartic in the aftermath.

Agree with the sentiment on Pence. Those career politicians in the GOP who have used Trump opportunistically are the pits.

Comment

The vote leads are growing by the minute too as the heavily blue Atlanta counties finish up. Ossoff now has a bigger lead (16k) than Biden won the state with and Warnock is out of sight.

Looking forward to more refusal to concede and vote rigging conspiracy theories today.
                                                                                Yeah hook it to my vains

Comment

What's great about this compared to Nov 3rd is the surprise. Seemed such a long shot back then.

Comment

What's great about this compared to Nov 3rd is the surprise. Seemed such a long shot back then.
                                                                                    Purdue nearly won his Senate outright on 03-Nov don't forget. He must really be kicking himself today.

Comment

Jon Ossoff will be the youngest Democrat elected to the US Senate since....every correct guess gets a banana

SPOILER
                                                                                      Joe Biden in 1973
                                                                                      original.jpg
                                                                                      Attached Files

Comment

Obviously addressing COVID in the most pressing issue but this result gives Biden administration a huge opportunity to roll back the Trump administrations Climate Change policies which is probably where he did the most long term damage.

Comment

Your position on this is completely wrong and entirely unworkable. You’re effectively saying there’s no circumstances ever where a Garda can justifiably shoot a person. Is that right?

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

emotional pornography.

Mam is hooked, think she's on season 3 having started on Christmas day.
                                                                                            SatNav This is Us update

D'Mudder has completed all rest of the available episodes. However, as it's a new episode every week now, and she can't just click next, she has thrown a temper tantrum and apparently hates it.

Comment

Purdue nearly won his Senate outright on 03-Nov don't forget. He must really be kicking himself today.
                                                                                              The GOP should be bricking it at the way this panned out. Depressed turnout on the GOP side seems to suggest Trump has made them feel the elections are pointless and/or that a Trump slate without Trump doesn’t work.

That should be very worrying for 2022.

Comment

So Georgia has elected a black preacher (from the same church as Martin Luther King) and a Jewish activist to the Senate.

The South doesn't look like the South no more. Like, Georgia is where Richard Russell came from (held back Civil Rights legislation for decades in the Senate). And the infamous Lester Maddox.
                                                                                                It must be the Caro influence, my first thought this morning was that Richard Russell will be spinning in his grave.

Comment

Best money ever lost. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Your position on this is completely wrong and entirely unworkable. You’re effectively saying there’s no circumstances ever where a Garda can justifiably shoot a person. Is that right?
                                                                                                    For a man who needs to have a great deal of comprehension of these subjects you sure do gloss over my main points.

1. I've been talking specifically about this instance.
                                                                                                    2. The death of this man was avoidable
                                                                                                    3. The coppers job is also to protect ALL life .

Shooting at his body mass to take down a civilian with a crude knife was not protecting all life adequately . This is my view on it and the remit for armed police should be to avoid administering a death penalty unless there is definite mortal danger . There is a part of me the feels if it were me with the knife I would be alive today .

Comment

The GOP should be bricking it at the way this panned out. Depressed turnout on the GOP side seems to suggest Trump has made them feel the elections are pointless and/or that a Trump slate without Trump doesn’t work.

That should be very worrying for 2022.
                                                                                                      I think that's a bit of a stretch. Remember that Trump got 75 million votes (second largest vote ever and by quite some distance). The turnout in Georgia is absolutely huge on both sides.

I'd say Trump energises a cohort that was politically inactive previously but the offset is that he motivates the other side even more. I wonder in a post-Trump world will political engagement slide back again.

Comment

Shooting at his body mass to take down a civilian with a crude knife was not protecting all life adequately . This is my view on it and the remit for armed police should be to avoid administering a death penalty unless there is definite mortal danger . There is a part of me the feels if it were me with the knife I would be alive today .
                                                                                                        because you would have put it down?

Comment

I see Mick McCarthy didn't last too long in his new job in Cyprus.

Comment

Can you please elaborate on what you are getting at.

because it almost sounds as if you are saying;
                                                                                                            a) In all situations a solutions exists where nobody dies, and/or;
                                                                                                            b) The rights conferred by the constitution only do not apply to the Garda at the scene.

Both of which are insane stances to take, so I’m sure that’s not what your getting at.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                              I see Mick McCarthy didn't last too long in his new job in Cyprus.
                                                                                                              And Jack Byrne signed 2 days ago

Comment

1. I've been talking specifically about this instance.
                                                                                                                2. The death of this man was avoidable
                                                                                                                3. The coppers job is also to protect ALL life

You can’t retrospectively apply polices to single cases.
                                                                                                                If you are saying the should have shot the legs here, they you have to say shoot the legs for all knife attacks.
                                                                                                                Which will likely result in more deaths overall.
                                                                                                                Charge at somebody with a knife would qualify at mortal danger imo.
                                                                                                                Protecting life also allows to the Guards own life and his colleagues.

Comment

There is a person from something called 'Retail Excellence Ireland' claiming that they should be allowed to continue opening shops because people 'down the country' with 'Inhereted' businesses find it too 'daunting' to operate online.
                                                                                                                  Its almost as if they haven't had a year to prepare and a shitload of stupidly easy to access grants for setting up online shops.
                                                                                                                  Words fail me

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

You can’t retrospectively apply polices to single cases.
                                                                                                                    If you are saying the should have shot the legs here, they you have to say shoot the legs for all knife attacks.
                                                                                                                    Which will likely result in more deaths overall.
                                                                                                                    Charge at somebody with a knife would qualify at mortal danger imo.
                                                                                                                    Protecting life also allows to the Guards own life and his colleagues.
                                                                                                                    It's actually remarkable (and quite impressive) how few fatal shootings by Gardai we have seen down the years. Six in the last 22 years. I imagine this compares very well with any other Western nation.
                                                                                                                    All 6 were armed, 4 with guns and 2 with knives.

Obviously the fact that our force is largely unarmed is a massively contributing factor but I still think that number is quite impressively low.

Like for example, Sweden had 21 deaths by police shooting in the 2010s alone. And it's a country generally held up as a shining example.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                                      People (can't recall exactly who - maybe Strewel) bought some knife sharpening stones at the start of December - any reports back
                                                                                                                      Worked very well in getting the knives sharpened, doing it right probably takes more time than I'd want to spend sharpening knives but its quite zen when you get into doing it.

Bought a set as a present for No2 Son who enjoys cooking and they seem to be a big hit with him.

This is what I got
                                                                                                                      Three-piece sharpening set consisting of a Skerper Basic Ceramic sharpening steel, a Skerper Basic combi sharpening stone grain 180 / 600 and a Skerper Basic combi sharpening stone grain 1000 / 3000.

Comment

Busy today. I think ye know what I mean so I'm not arsed to delve further .

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Worked very well in getting the knives sharpened, doing it right probably takes more time than I'd want to spend sharpening knives but its quite zen when you get into doing it.

Bought a set as a present for No2 Son who enjoys cooking and they seem to be a big hit with him.

This is what I got
                                                                                                                          Three-piece sharpening set consisting of a Skerper Basic Ceramic sharpening steel, a Skerper Basic combi sharpening stone grain 180 / 600 and a Skerper Basic combi sharpening stone grain 1000 / 3000.

Just invested in that set, looks great. Suspect my old sharpening stone (which got dropped and has big cracks in it) is more of a hindrance than a help.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X