This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Actually, on a semi-serious note, would you be OK to send kids to university in the UK or will there be barriers in place going forward that will make that prohibitive? i.e. would you be paying fees at the 'dirty non-British Johnny Foreigner' level?
    i definitely would prefer my kids go to UK universities. much prefer the system here than in France. As residents (over 3 or 5 years in the UK, can't remember) they'd be treated the same as British citizens and pay the same rates.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

I think it was Wombatman that suggested setting dogs on him and I had that exact thought.

Spose at least he would be alive though.
      THROW HIM TO THE FLOOOR

Comment

Strewls idea to throw a net on the knife wielding man who had injured someone already and had ample opportunity to drop the weapon has me in tears

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Ever been to Blanch?
          Fado fado fado...lads I knew from North side used to call the lads from Blanch knacker culchies
          Culchies who really want to be knackers(not in the traveller sense)

Did they finally get their wish... did they finally dream it into a shithole?

Place seemed pretty tame whenever I was out there

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post

Fado fado fado...lads I knew from North side used to call the lads from Blanch knacker culchies
            Culchies who really want to be knackers(not in the traveller sense)

Did they finally get their wish... did they finally dream it into a shithole?

Place seemed pretty tame whenever I was out there
            Seriously I dont think it's too bad there either but ya know yourself Mulhuddart is worse.

SP net comment still has me laughing. Reminded me of.

Get your stinking paws off me at 2 00 in this

Comment

Maybe it's completely normal to carry a lethal weapon with you when you go down to the shops for The Sun and a litre of milk.
              Did he have a knife on him before he got to the shop, or did he pick it up during the altercation with the manager?
              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Did he have a knife on him before he got to the shop, or did he pick it up during the altercation with the manager?
                Garda statement

Gardaí, in their official statement regarding the matter, said Mr Nkencho had entered a Spar shop in Hartstown, armed with a knife.

During that incident, a staff member was assaulted and had to be treated in hospital for his injuries. He has since been released.

TheJournal.ie has clarified, through gardaí, that the man was hurt but was not stabbed or slashed with a knife during the assault.

Mr Nkencho continued to threaten members of the public and unarmed Gardaí with a knife, a garda statement said.

Gardai followed him on foot and in vehicles from the Hartstown Shopping Centre towards his family home at Manorfields Drive, Dublin 15. During this period Gardaí were engaging him and encouraging him to drop the weapon.

Mr Nkencho was shot several times by a garda gun at Manorfields Drive in Clonee after allegedly attempting to attack a garda with a knife.
                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

So this is the start of the statement I'm seeing most quoted:

"Gardai responded to reports of a public order incident involving a male, in his late twenties, armed with a knife at Hartstown Shopping Centre.

"During an incident at the EuroSpar business premises in Hartstown Shopping Centre a male staff member received facial injuries and is currently receiving medical attention in Connolly Memorial Hospital."

Can you find me a direct quote from a Garda statement? What you quoted is paraphrasing.

Note 'public order' above, not robbery.

Comment

'Relevance your honour?'

Comment

So this is the start of the statement I'm seeing most quoted:

"Gardai responded to reports of a public order incident involving a male, in his late twenties, armed with a knife at Hartstown Shopping Centre.

"During an incident at the EuroSpar business premises in Hartstown Shopping Centre a male staff member received facial injuries and is currently receiving medical attention in Connolly Memorial Hospital."

Can you find me a direct quote from a Garda statement? What you quoted is paraphrasing.

Note 'public order' above, not robbery.
                      I don't know what alterative facts you're trying to create (or why) but here is a direct Garda quote:

The incident began when gardaí earlier received reports of a public order incident involving a male armed with a knife at Hartstown shopping centre.

A staff member at Eurospar received facial injuries and another incident was reported at the nearby post office.

Uniformed, unarmed gardaí responded to the scene and observed a male in possession of a knife. The male continued to threaten members of the public and unarmed gardaí with the knife,” said a statement from the Garda press office.
                      Guards were called to the shop where Nkencho had a knife. They followed him from there.
                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

On a lighter note, I have 4 months+ of planning for my new home-office to get stuck into chairs and desk reviews.

What are we all sitting on these days? Any good recommendations? Don't want to overspend but have also been crippled by horrific chairs for last year now, so am happy to budget up if required.

Comment

Eurospar have announced that they don’t sell knives but do sell papers and drinks

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                            On a lighter note, I have 4 months+ of planning for my new home-office to get stuck into chairs and desk reviews.

What are we all sitting on these days? Any good recommendations? Don't want to overspend but have also been crippled by horrific chairs for last year now, so am happy to budget up if required.
                            I actually bought an IKEA office chair for 230-odd and it's just as good as the (presumably way more expensive one) I have in my actual office

Comment

I don't know what alterative facts you're trying to create (or why) but here is a direct Garda quote:

Guards were called to the shop where Nkencho had a knife. They followed him from there.
                              You are the one making things up, not me. I'm only asking questions.

You said he entered the shop with a knife. Did he?

Apology accepted in advance.

Comment

You are the one making things up, not me. I'm only asking questions.

You said he entered the shop with a knife. Did he?

Apology accepted in advance.
                                Is the insinuation that he took the knife from the staff member?
                                I don't understand where your questions are going
                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post

Eurospar have announced that they don’t sell knives but do sell papers and drinks
                                  do they slice the bread in their deli with a can of coke? I'm not surprised that enraged George.
                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

do they slice the bread in their deli with a can of coke? I'm not surprised that enraged George.
                                    He did NOT want his roll cut in half

Comment

It is a weird point Wombatman is trying to make but I think he is trying to argue that Nkencho grabbed a knife at the shop, rather than having brought it with him.

If that is the case and I haven't seen anyone say it is, what possible difference does it make?

Comment

It is a weird point Wombatman is trying to make but I think he is trying to argue that Nkencho grabbed a knife at the shop, rather than having brought it with him.

If that is the case and I haven't seen anyone say it is, what possible difference does it make?
                                        You'll find out the day you snap and stab the missus

Comment

I have a €50 ikea desk and cable tray under it. I'd say less than 10 minutes and I was good to go. At work I have an expensive stand/sit desk with an electric motor that I never asked for. Both desks are equally as sturdy. If I had more space I'd have brought a bigger ikea desk but the one I have is more than adequate for 2x 24" monitors, USB dock and 13" laptop.

As far as chairs go, find the most comfortable one possible and pay the man. Whatever about the desk, don't skimp on the chair. My work chair >>>>>> home office chair. It's the next thing that's getting upgraded. I was using my work chair at home for most of last year. I swapped it back when I started to spend more time in the office. Night and day difference compared to the crap one I have from ikea. From a quick search this is the closest design to my work chair: https://www.huntoffice.ie/dorsum-exe...est-black.html.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

You'll find out the day you snap and stab the missus
                                            Far more likely in reverse imo

Comment

these chairs are the nuts Refurbished Steelcase Leap V1 in Havana (Black) | Corporate Spec

Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                              https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Is the insinuation that he took the knife from the staff member?
                                                I don't understand where your questions are going

I can't believe ye are not getting this lads. Shocked actually.

I'm NOT suggesting anything. Look back at my posts. I'm just questioning unverified versions of events.
                                                Why would anyone insinuate or suggest anything about what happened?

We need to work with verified facts only.

Did he bring a knife into the shop? We don't know. So why make a suggestion one way or another?

Was he robbing the shop?
                                                Did the taser hit him?
                                                Were warning shots fired?
                                                Did he perform a haka before he was shot?

Just hang on for the GSOC report. Your theories may be supported by the facts in the final analysis.

Comment

What is the relevance of where the knife came from? Only way I could guess it changes anything is if it were handed to him by a Garda before he shot him?

Otherwise what difference does it make?

He wasn't shot and killed because of an alleged armed robbery. The Gardaí are not judge, jury and executioner.

Comment

Are you saying that what is published in reputable newspapers or via RTE are 'unverified versions of events'?

Because those are my best sources for what happened in this whole sorry episode. Call me naive.

Comment

What is the relevance of where the knife came from? Only way I could guess it changes anything is if it were handed to him by a Garda before he shot him?

Otherwise what difference does it make?

He wasn't shot and killed because of an alleged armed robbery. The Gardaí are not judge, jury and executioner.
                                                      He carried a knife with him VS he got into a scuffle in the shop and grabbed a knife. Massive difference.

Find me one report, from a half decent source, that says he was engaged in a robbery.

He punched the manager of the Eurospar. Yes, that hat has been verified by AGS. Does not equal he was robbing the shop. Might not have been wearing a mask and fracas resulted for example. Who knows?
                                                      Last edited by Wombatman; 05-01-21, 17:37.

Comment

Are you saying that what is published in reputable newspapers or via RTE are 'unverified versions of events'?

Because those are my best sources for what happened in this whole sorry episode. Call me naive.
                                                        Show me on RTE where it says he carried a knife into the shop.

Comment

Dogs is a good idea, you'd wonder why that wasn't used. Harsh on the animal as the risk is massive, PETA would lose it, letting an innocent dog die by knife wielding criminal instead of shooting for his legs.

A net though... like... you'd wonder sometimes.

Sure why didn't we just throw rocks at him.
                                                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

He carried a knife with him VS he got into a scuffle in the shop and grabbed a knife. Massive difference.

Find me one report, from a half decent source, that says he was engaged in a robbery.

He punched the manager of the Eurospar. Yes, that hat has been verified by AGS. Does not equal he was robbing the shop. Might not have been wearing a mask and fracas resulted for example. Who knows?
                                                            He wasn't shot for what happened in Eurospar.

Comment

He wasn't shot for what happened in Eurospar.
                                                              Did I say he was?

Comment

Did I say he was?
                                                                What has it got to do with him being shot? I think I've "just asked questions" (this one specifically) 3 times now to no avail.

You absolutely are trying to lead us somewhere, but it doesn't make sense. Socratic without a goal?

Comment

What has it got to do with him being shot? I think I've "just asked questions" (this one specifically) 3 times now to no avail.

You absolutely are trying to lead us somewhere, but it doesn't make sense. Socratic without a goal?
                                                                  The public order incident lead to the shooting. That's where everything kicked off. How did the public order incident transpire?

Comment

Wombat you are way off the mark here.

By the time AGS arrived at the scene he had a knife. That much seems clear from most/all reports. The Gardai at the scene don’t have time to establish the provenance of the knife. Nor, for their immediate purposes, do they care where it came from. Their primary goal at this point is to ensure he doesn’t harm anyone by keeping him away from the public, isolating him if they can and then attempt, if possible, to disarm him.

So why he was in the store, whether he brought the knife with him, whether he initiated any conflict before AGS arrived are all irrelevant at that point. It is an entirely immaterial fact to the decision to shoot.
                                                                    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

The public order incident lead to the shooting. That's where everything kicked off. How did the public order incident transpire?
                                                                      That’s an entirely separate issue. The Garda who ultimately shoots him cannot possibly have known so it doesn’t actually play any part in the decision to shoot. It cannot.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

That’s an entirely separate issue. The Garda who ultimately shoots him cannot possibly have known so it doesn’t actually play any part in the decision to shoot. It cannot.
                                                                        Would you expect the incident in the shop to be investigated by GSOC and the AGS, and to feature in their respective reports?

Could what transpired in that shop have had bearing on the state of mind and resulting behavior of Nkencho in the final moments?

Comment

The Constitution specifically recognises and protects your right to life (Article 40.4). Your right to life also means the right to have nature take its course and to die a natural death. That does not mean that you have the right to have your life terminated or death unnaturally accelerated

So the executioner should perhaps remember his duty is to protect ALL life . I really doubt it would be an issue in countries where life is cheap I dont think we are there yet (ganglands aside) . I hope not but from reading comments online , we really have regressed . As Clint said . Hell of a thing , killing a man

Comment

What ? No brief ? There's a guy with a knife , shoot him if he swings it at someone .

Comment

Could what transpired in that shop have had bearing on the state of mind and resulting behavior of Nkencho in the final moments?
                                                                              You might as well ask what kind of childhood he had or what football team he supported.

They're all equally irrelevant.

Comment

Where are you going with this Wombat?

The questions you are asking are irrelevant to the decision of how and when to disarm him.

Are you saying they shouldn’t be? And if you are? How would you imagine this information is used at any point in the whole saga?

”ah the shopkeeper used butter instead of Mayo, get the dogs instead of the guns”
                                                                                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

You might as well ask what kind of childhood he had or what football team he supported.

They're all equally irrelevant.
                                                                                  You saying there is no point in going on about what happened in the shop, as it is irrelevant?

Maybe it's completely normal to carry a lethal weapon with you when you go down to the shops for The Sun and a litre of milk.
                                                                                  This is getting painful now.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                    Dogs is a good idea, you'd wonder why that wasn't used. Harsh on the animal as the risk is massive, PETA would lose it, letting an innocent dog die by knife wielding criminal instead of shooting for his legs.

A net though... like... you'd wonder sometimes.

Sure why didn't we just throw rocks at him.
                                                                                    Pin him with riot shields was my immediate alternative when I first heard of the incident.
                                                                                    Tbh, my only question about the descision to shoot was the speed in which the armed response unit was on the scene.
                                                                                    from attack in the shop to shooting, there seems to have been less than an hour passed. Everything else aside, that seems to be a remarkably quick time to deploy.

There is some kind of Clancy Wiggums-esque narrative where the cops follow him home attempting to cajole him into dropping a knife from a row of squad cars as he walks home?

The general public likely has less than 20% of the full story however regarding incident in store and actions/comments by the deceased.

Comment

What are you actually trying to say Wombat?

The man’s state of mind when the Garda shot him is irrelevant. Whether or not the shot was lawful and justified depends on the objective situation on the ground as observed by the shooter and whether he (and the ESU generally) took all proper steps short of lethal force before shooting.

Comment

For all those who have upgraded their home office/work space i'd be interested to know if your employer paid for all/any of it or if you even asked? Best decision i made before the first lockdown was to bring the chair home with me. Absolutely vital bit of kit that you only truly appreciate when you sit in a bad one for 8+ hours a day.

I've added a few smaller pieces of kit to my set up at my own expense over the last few months but i think work (or some kind of grant) should be covering it perhaps. Especially as i guess many of us will be moving to some kind of hybrid model whenever all this ends and we all need *2 of everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                          Where are you going with this Wombat?

The questions you are asking are irrelevant to the decision of how and when to disarm him.

Are you saying they shouldn’t be? And if you are? How would you imagine this information is used at any point in the whole saga?

”ah the shopkeeper used butter instead of Mayo, get the dogs instead of the guns”
                                                                                          Go back and read my posts. I was questioning unverified statements.

I did make a suggestion days ago, outside of this discussion, that well trained dogs might have been handy the way things went down.

How did things get to the point where the shooting was deemed necessary? Is what transpired in the moment of the shooting the only issue of relevance?

Comment

What are you actually trying to say Wombat?

The man’s state of mind when the Garda shot him is irrelevant. Whether or not the shot was lawful and justified depends on the objective situation on the ground as observed by the shooter and whether he (and the ESU generally) took all proper steps short of lethal force before shooting.
                                                                                            So provocation is out of the question? I'm only hypostasizing here but would it make any difference, to the final analysis, if one of the guards said "Come at me with that knife, you black bastard, and I'll shoot you in the face". What is something like this was recorded by a body cam? Would the shooting still be justified then?

What I'm trying to say is, do we know what actually actually happened. No we don't. We shouldn't pass judgment on the actions of AGS or Nkencho until we do.
                                                                                            Last edited by Wombatman; 05-01-21, 19:27.

Comment

poor William of Ockham

Comment

Tbh, my only question about the descision to shoot was the speed in which the armed response unit was on the scene.
                                                                                                from attack in the shop to shooting, there seems to have been less than an hour passed. Everything else aside, that seems to be a remarkably quick time to deploy.

Inside the K innit.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

At what stage will the results of the GA runoffs be known?

Comment

I have to admit despite all the snickering here today that my immediate response to the story and the 'they couldn't subdue him so had to shoot him' bit was also 'why the fuck don't they have nets'.

Comment

At what stage will the results of the GA runoffs be known?
                                                                                                      Betfair are planning to pay out around June.

Comment

Inside the K innit.
                                                                                                        that's kinda my point.

Comment

So provocation is out of the question? I'm only hypostasizing here but would it make any difference, to the final analysis, if one of the guards said "Come at me with that knife, you black bastard, and I'll shoot you in the face". What is something like this was recorded by a body cam? Would the shooting still be justified then?

What I'm trying to say is, do we know what actually actually happened. No we don't. We shouldn't pass judgment on the actions of AGS or Nkencho until we do.
                                                                                                          You’re changing positions now. I said how he came to have the knife and what happened in the shop is irrelevant.

Once AGS intervene then anything they see, say or do is relevant. But you know that. So not sure why you’ve altered position here.

And I agree we should wait for GSOC’s report. Not sure anyone here is suggesting otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                            I have to admit despite all the snickering here today that my immediate response to the story and the 'they couldn't subdue him so had to shoot him' bit was also 'why the fuck don't they have nets'.
                                                                                                            Dogs. They’re supposed to deploy a canine unit if possible. Time doesn’t always allow for that. Here they supposedly tazed him and pepper sprayed him and he still kept going. If that turns out to be true I don’t think you could say they didn’t try non-lethal approaches.

Comment

You’re changing positions now. I said how he came to have the knife and what happened in the shop is irrelevant.

Once AGS intervene then anything they see, say or do is relevant. But you know that. So not sure why you’ve altered position here.

And I agree we should wait for GSOC’s report. Not sure anyone here is suggesting otherwise.
                                                                                                              Did AGS not intervene in the irrelevant shop?

Comment

that's kinda my point.
                                                                                                                You have me confused dude. You expressed surprise at how quick they got there. I would guess there's a unit based in that district/division.

Comment

Comment

Dogs. They’re supposed to deploy a canine unit if possible. Time doesn’t always allow for that. Here they supposedly tazed him and pepper sprayed him and he still kept going. If that turns out to be true I don’t think you could say they didn’t try non-lethal approaches.
                                                                                                                    Oh yeah I had heard about the attempted tazing alright and I don't have many doubts that the guards did the best they could in a shit situation. I suppose you can't try everything but there's no attacking someone with a knife while tangled in a weighted net. A quilt would probably do it.

I wonder what their full suite of equipment is. I don't expect it to include quilts.

Comment

You have me confused dude. You expressed surprise at how quick they got there. I would guess there's a unit based in that district/division.
                                                                                                                      what I mean is, was their immediate availability a deciding factor in deployment?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Oh yeah I had heard about the attempted tazing alright and I don't have many doubts that the guards did the best they could in a shit situation. I suppose you can't try everything but there's no attacking someone with a knife while tangled in a weighted net. A quilt would probably do it.

I wonder what their full suite of equipment is. I don't expect it to include quilts.
                                                                                                                        wooden spoons and wet tea towels ftw

Comment

Quick, are you serious

If the ARU is needed then its inside 5 minutes not within an hour. 15 minutes should be possible anywhere in the City .
                                                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X