This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get the fuck 2020
    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post

What's your symptoms?

I've developed a cough but haven't been out of the house in a week.
      Started out with bit of a headache Tue didnt think much if it, then the chills in the evening, temp went up a few degrees to 99.5, sinus pain but very little mucus.
      Feel just a bit shite, cant taste or smell today, breathing a bit laboured.

Not much of a cough though just the odd one now and again.

Comment

A historic day for the Britain...a day that will go down in history

And it shall be known by the name:

Last edited by Guest; 01-01-21, 00:16.

Comment

Jools @ new year is like the adult version of the santy revelation.

Just not the same
          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Happy new year everyone! Must read those new years resolution posts in the morning.
            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

CHINA - dont eat anything fucking stupid tonight .

Tom Jones is amazing. EIGHTY !!

Amid Winehouse conspicuously absent so far. Come on Jools she was a huge highlight.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

The entire project looks shabby petty and sad and most of all full of uncertainty.

My Prediction is that whenever Labour get into power in 3 or 7 years they will realign initially on Norwegian terms rejoining in about a decade
                  lol 20 years at least before they exhaust all available scapegoats and get around to taking anything resembling responsibility imo

Comment

Annual rewatch of Withnail and I, film4+1
                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Start the year as you mean to go on hitch, arguing with fellow lectures

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I think I'm going to take a risk on it. Works out at about €270 if bought from UK version of Moss Bros and will then get hefty tailoring done. I presume Zegna wouldn't allow crap out there.
                        If you didn't already order that there's a code SAVEMORE that'll get you money off

Comment

The great, and sometimes frustrating, things about humans is that they tend to just get on with it.

It's great in tough times, and in times of panic, or distress.
                          It's frustrating in times like Brexit, or the last 4 years of Trump, or the shitty healthcare system Ireland has had for years, where some people can explain to death why and where people will lose out, but when it all happens, people just get on with it. Is that apathy? or just human?

People aren't ever held accountable on things that only show their effects on a glacial scale, or any scale that is not felt ubiquitously, and individually.

Anyway, I don't think Brexit will ever been seen as a failure by the Brits. Those that it affects most will just get on with it, and it'll eventually come round to being something workable and spun as successful due to those who just get on with it.

Fuck 2020 though. Cunt.
                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Happy New Year from a lurker. Tom Jones proving class is permanent. Never seen Celeste before but she's amazing. 2021 has to be better. Starting from a low bar.

Comment

A song fur de EU to be singing to de Brits

Last edited by Guest; 01-01-21, 01:49.

Comment

Super version.

Comment

NYE London fireworks were accompanied by a drone light show. The drone bit was amazing good.

Kicks off at 2 minutes in.
                                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                      yep! just need to track down raoul's bro now and see if he has a twitter account.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Super version.
                                        Brilliant

Comment

The entire project looks shabby petty and sad and most of all full of uncertainty.

My Prediction is that whenever Labour get into power in 3 or 7 years they will realign initially on Norwegian terms rejoining in about a decade
                                          I think the ship has sailed unfortunately.
                                          Labour can't do what you suggest unless they campaign for it in a general election. And there seems no appetite within the party to do so.
                                          If they did campaign as such they would just get blitzed by three work slogans again 'Keep Brexit Done', 'Keep Britain Sovereign'.
                                          And could they rejoin just by virtue of parliamentary act, or is there an obligation to have another divisive referendum.

But fundamentally, I don't think the EU wants to have a member where one of the two parties of government will plausibly have Leaving as one of its policies.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Labour can't do what you suggest unless they campaign for it in a general election. And there seems no appetite within the party to do so.
                                            If they did campaign as such they would just get blitzed by three work slogans again 'Keep Brexit Done', 'Keep Britain Sovereign'.
                                            And could they rejoin just by virtue of parliamentary act, or is there an obligation to have another divisive referendum.

But fundamentally, I don't think the EU wants to have a member where one of the two parties of government will plausibly have Leaving as one of its policies.
                                            Oh yeah its gone for good now. Makes us staying in Schengen seem extra shambolic as we need to align with Europe-proper. Has a huge impact on things like visas for non-EU firms and so a knock on effect on jobs. We also need to start learning a widely spoken European language a lot sooner.

Comment

Some voice on Tolu!

Comment

Oh yeah its gone for good now. Makes us staying in Schengen seem extra shambolic as we need to align with Europe-proper. Has a huge impact on things like visas for non-EU firms and so a knock on effect on jobs. We also need to start learning a widely spoken European language a lot sooner.
                                                Interesting article on that in todays IT by an Irish EU worker.

If I'm reading it right there's an average of just ONE Irish person per year joining the application process for jobs in the EU institutions (excluding those who get there via a government role presumably)
                                                Seems an absolute slam dunk for any 20x/30x year old with a degree but not sure what to do with their life. Learn a language to fluency standard, and then purely to keep the numbers up they'll throw a very well-paid job-for-life at you.

Comment

Interesting article on that in todays IT by an Irish EU worker.
                                                  https://www.irishtimes.com/news/worl...bble-1.4443818
                                                  If I'm reading it right there's an average of just ONE Irish person per year joining the application process for jobs in the EU institutions (excluding those who get there via a government role presumably)
                                                  Seems an absolute slam dunk for any 20x/30x year old with a degree but not sure what to do with their life. Learn a language to fluency standard, and then purely to keep the numbers up they'll throw a very well-paid job-for-life at you.
                                                  That seems incredibly low but given the roles available in Dublin I'm not particularly surprised they find positions hard to fill.

Dublin has quite a lot of entry level roles with decent salaries in all the companies people of that age want to work in.

I'd imagine the people they're after are being offered 50-60k+ straight out of uni with the chance of travelling and all the perks.

Perhaps best suited to those with designs on Academia.

Comment

No need to even think about rejoining for over a decade.

The point I'm making is that the agreement rushed through last week leaves it completely in the gift of the government of the day to renegotiate right up to Norway terms without any need for a referendum and how palatable that will be for the British public will depend on things how mush of a whopping triumph the Tories can convince voters in Sunderland and the likes that Brexit has been. Labour will absolutely campaign on the basis of a deal that is de facto Norway whether or not they spell out the details, they will be saying we will do whatever is needed to keep car manufacturers in Britain.
                                                    I'm expecting that by then the conversation will be about controlling the damage done by Brexit though Theresa's point about people muddling through is well taken
                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Comment

The second of Steve McQueen's Small Axe films Lover's Rock is a last minute contender that snatches the best Movie or TV show and the you can throw in the best music of the year.

Incredible... Ladbroke grove 1980 wasn't all that different from Moyne Road 1980 and McQueen captures something really special highlight of the year.
                                                        it's fantastic. no doubt you'll enjoy the 4th as well. (the weakest one for me was the 3rd, simply because the story didn't grab me as much as the others), but they're all great nonetheless.

Comment

Glitch in the matrix, again

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                            A song fur de EU to be singing to de Brits
                                                            watched a crock of gold: a few sessions with Shane McGowan the other day. Crock of shit tbh, but the music parts are great fun.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

it's fantastic. no doubt you'll enjoy the 4th as well. (the weakest one for me was the 3rd, simply because the story didn't grab me as much as the others), but they're all great nonetheless.
                                                              Where can I watch these. Netflix and Prime coming up empty.

Comment

Just seen the 'jab and go' Ryanair ad on tv. Wow.

Comment

​​​​​​https://twitter.com/andrewflood/stat...960363010?s=19

Comment

Originally posted by Lplate View Post

Where can I watch these. Netflix and Prime coming up empty.
                                                                    BBCiPlayer
                                                                    other than that there are torrents available

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

​​​​​​https://twitter.com/andrewflood/stat...960363010?s=19
                                                                      What's the difference between that tweet and the numbers Gav Reilly is reporting? I dont get it.

Comment

BBCiPlayer
                                                                        That you with the Kildare shebeen sp?
                                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Quiz answers for Solksjaer! and others...

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post
                                                                          Partaking in a highly competitive annual Christmas quiz and stuck on some questions. Any ideas for the below?

Q62 Staycation - where are we visiting?
                                                                          1. Where two tens combine in Cork Rosscarbery (tens = Ross Byrne and Joey Carbery)
                                                                          2. Where the King sips his G&T Castlebar
                                                                          3. Classical dance in the kitchen Ballydehob (changed our answer last minute to Ballybofey from Ballydehob...)
                                                                          4. Sounds like an ambulance Nenagh
                                                                          Answer was FF/FG/Green coalition - green line in the middle to complete it

A couple of musical ones...

Screenshot 2020-12-27 at 20.31.37.png

Flew in from Miami Beach B.O.A.C.
                                                                          Didn't get to bed last night
                                                                          On the way the paper bag was on my knee
                                                                          Man, I had a dreadful flight

I'm back in the U.S.S.R.
                                                                          You don't know how lucky you are, boy
                                                                          Back in the U.S.S.R. (Yeah!)

Screenshot 2020-12-27 at 20.49.54.png

A Whiter Shade of Pale by Procol Harum

When we called out for another drink
                                                                          The waiter brought a tray
                                                                          And so it was that later
                                                                          As the miller told his tale

Comment

BBCiPlayer
                                                                            Or amazon prime with a US vpn

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Or amazon prime with a US vpn
                                                                              Anyone figured out how to make a VPN play iplayer to chromecast?

Comment

The lyrics ones are good.

Comment

First screeners are out and they're good ones (I hope)

Nomadland
                                                                                  Promising young woman
                                                                                  The nest

Comment

shrapnel

Any recommendations for restaurants in general Stoke Newington / Finsbury park area that are doing good lockdown takeaways ?

Comment

Ohhhhhhhh. Was wondering why a game I clicked to buy today went from 8 pounds at selection to 6.50 pound at checkout.

Amazon UK Orders Under €22 Will Be Cheaper For Irish Shoppers From Jan 1st 2021

This section only applies to items SOLD by or Fulfilled By Amazon

We have checked on Amazon UK and they are calculating the new post Brexit VAT charges correctly for deliveries to Ireland.

From Jan 1st 2021 if the value of a package delivered from the UK to Ireland is less than €22 (including delivery charges) , then it will be exempt from Irish import VAT.

This means that on packages under €22 – Irish shoppers using Amazon UK will see a price reduction.

This should also happen with other UK retailers if they are doing things correctly. But on a few other UK sites, we tried , they are still charging UK VAT ).

22 Euro Cut off

€22 Euro is treated as £19.95 GBP for all of January 2021 . (see further down the page for the method of calculation.)
                                                                                      £19.95 excluding UK VAT, works out as £23.94 inclusive of UK VAT .

Therefore , Irish customers should see a 20% final price reduction at checkout on single Amazon items priced under £23.94.
                                                                                      (Assuming you are a Prime member and delivery will be free)

We checked the pricing on Amazon UK and were able to order an Amazon Echo Dot for £16.66 for delivery to Ireland .
                                                                                      This was priced at £19.99 for delivery in the UK .

Multiple low Priced Items – Examples :

If you ordered 2 different items , each priced at £18 – and they show at Amazon checkout as one delivery – then Irish VAT will be charged by Amazon on both items.

However, on the same order of 2 items costing £18 , if on checkout the order is showing as needing 2 deliveries (maybe because of low stock availability) – then no VAT will be charged on the whole order even though it is over the VAT threshold.

The VAT threshold is per “package” not per order. We have tested this out on Amazon UK – and that is how it worked (on 1st Jan).

These VAT related price reductions will only last until July 2021 because Ireland is abolishing the €22 import VAT exemption. From July 2021 VAT will be charged on all UK orders delivered to Ireland.

Comment

So it only works if you have Prime apparently because you need to be able to order in amounts of money under 19.95 pounds which isn't feasible if you have to pay delivery. And only works for six months.

Comment

Something interesting on Amazon. If you now order something that is zero-rated for VAT in both UK and Ireland, they will now add on an extra import fee equal to Irish standard VAT on top, as they assume it is standard rated for VAT in the exporting country.

Had an example there of saffron, which I was looking to get after seeing a documentary - zero rated for VAT in both countries as all herbs are. But because it was over £20 cost - they added standard Irish VAT as an extra cost on top calling it 'import fees'.

Not sure I've explained it well there, but yeah - essentially be careful buying things from the UK that are zero rated for VAT - food mainly.

Comment

Something interesting on Amazon. If you now order something that is zero-rated for VAT in both UK and Ireland, they will now add on an extra import fee equal to Irish standard VAT on top, as they assume it is standard rated for VAT in the exporting country.

Had an example there of saffron, which I was looking to get after seeing a documentary - zero rated for VAT in both countries as all herbs are. But because it was over £20 cost - they added standard Irish VAT as an extra cost on top calling it 'import fees'.

Not sure I've explained it well there, but yeah - essentially be careful buying things from the UK that are zero rated for VAT - food mainly.
                                                                                            Their estimation may be off for that good, but when they don't get charged you get the money back. Same as ordering from the US amazon if it slipped through the net.

Comment

shrapnel

Any recommendations for restaurants in general Stoke Newington / Finsbury park area that are doing good lockdown takeaways ?

Sorry SP, genuinely no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                                                                Anyone got any New Year resolutions and do you keep them? I always write mine down to review and I've accomplished 2/5 from last year/for this year.
                                                                                                I posted a list somewhere, but can't remember where. may have been the years previous though.
                                                                                                The only one I remember was 120 training session (10 per month). Didn't get there with Covid putting a huge dent in the year. But somewhat pro-rata achieved in as I hit 90+ with 1/4 of the year with little to no access. The below doesn't count weights/cardio session, only jiu jitsu.

Probably had something on there about getting a purple belt, which I did in November. That's taken a few year, a few injuries and one surgery.

Will probably go again with the 120 sessions/180 hours target. Sounds easier than it is.
                                                                                                Lose the covid weight. Definitely easy. But enjoy alcohol and take away is life now.
                                                                                                Will prob add another non sport/fitness one. Not sure yet.

Comment

The clip Archbishop Martin is complaining about https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021...on-martin-rte/

Comment

RIP Liam Reilly. Really was an anthem for Dublin

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                                      The clip Archbishop Martin is complaining about https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021...on-martin-rte/

Wow, edgy
                                                                                                      the kind of thing you’d roll your eyes at if a 14 year old came up with it
                                                                                                      cringe for MacGrianna too

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

I posted a list somewhere, but can't remember where. may have been the years previous though.
                                                                                                        The only one I remember was 120 training session (10 per month). Didn't get there with Covid putting a huge dent in the year. But somewhat pro-rata achieved in as I hit 90+ with 1/4 of the year with little to no access. The below doesn't count weights/cardio session, only jiu jitsu.

Probably had something on there about getting a purple belt, which I did in November. That's taken a few year, a few injuries and one surgery.

Will probably go again with the 120 sessions/180 hours target. Sounds easier than it is.
                                                                                                        Lose the covid weight. Definitely easy. But enjoy alcohol and take away is life now.
                                                                                                        Will prob add another non sport/fitness one. Not sure yet.
                                                                                                        What’s the tracker app you are using?

Comment

Last year, I set, what in hindsight were, totally unrealistic goals for 2020. I also didn't break them down into smaller bite sized pieces which was a mistake. Covid did play a small part in the failure but the majority of the blame has to rest with me.

Am currently working on a more realistic list of goals for 2021 which I will hopefully report back on this time next year!

Comment

Missed one on the book recommendations list: All the Light We Cannot See.

Doesn't have the humour of A Gentleman in Moscow but is an equally wonderful story. Read it in an afternoon yesterday.

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Any series from the last 5+ years worth watching?

Have seen Crown, Queens Gambit, Succession, watched a bit of the Ozarks.

Is Yellowstone any good?

Comment

Gonna make this bad boy tonight. Was searching and phoning all over the shop looking for whole raw prawns and fresh squid. Drove to a fish shop in Lucan to find it closed down. Tried Eurasia Asian store and bingo.

Can't wait.

Choose the freshest ingredients for a world-class paella with our ultimate recipe. Serve this classic Spanish seafood dish in the pan to impress your guests
                                                                                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Is Yellowstone any good?
                                                                                                                  a few which spring to mind in no particular order:

the good lord bird
                                                                                                                  fleabag
                                                                                                                  stranger things
                                                                                                                  killing eve
                                                                                                                  Chernobyl
                                                                                                                  fargo
                                                                                                                  umbrella academy
                                                                                                                  The bureau

Comment

Book review of the year given the book thread is maybe not fully operational.

Comment

Is Yellowstone any good?
                                                                                                                      Is there any decent version of Goodreads for TV shows?

Comment

Trackt maybe?

Comment

Testes positive.

Main symptoms now is breathing is laboured (the odd gasp to get air in but generally feeling like breaths not deep.enough)
                                                                                                                          constant headache, no smell or taste.

Sleeping loads.

Just keeping fingers crossed that lungs will come out of this ok.

Will hold off on any NYR's re running for now anyway!

NB
                                                                                                                          Testes are fine. Let's just say I ran a diagnostic this morning and leave it at that

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X