This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KTP pulled up, hopefully no injury

Got rid of those 2 error messages by accessing site through Google (usually use Chrome)

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      Some race there in the Savills. Had a bit of everything.
      Was on kemboy for post Xmas party.
      Not a happy camper but OK ew return
      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
        KTP pulled up, hopefully no injury

Got rid of those 2 error messages by accessing site through Google (usually use Chrome)
        They are quite annoying. Will try sort if I get time.
        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Was on kemboy for post Xmas party.
          Not a happy camper but OK ew return
          The look on the jockey's face was priceless, he thought he was only racing the one on the inner.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I'm so bored. When almost all the activities available to me are with either a 3 year old or a 1 year old, they don't hold much interest for me. Walk in the rain earlier while the young lad was on his scooter was almost a highlight. Nothing to do, yet no free time. Quite the contradiction!

Comment

Maybe...

Beer and champagne = black velvet

The black velvet band

Hmmm..

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                I'm so bored. When almost all the activities available to me are with either a 3 year old or a 1 year old, they don't hold much interest for me. Walk in the rain earlier while the young lad was on his scooter was almost a highlight. Nothing to do, yet no free time. Quite the contradiction!
                Spent an hour this morning researching the best computer mouse and reading about all the best mouse features. That bored.

This is the winner apparently and I'll be able to update you in person on how amazing it is on Wednesday.

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Spent an hour this morning researching the best computer mouse and reading about all the best mouse features. That bored.

This is the winner apparently and I'll be able to update you in person on how amazing it is on Wednesday.
                  100 snots for a mouse. Hope it gives blowjobs!
                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Lazare's electric carving knife tweet is getting some amount of likes

Comment

Sadly I won't be waiting with baited breath for your results. I did however buy the Panasonic breadmaker you linked to a while back. It's brilliant, haven't bought bread in a shop since and done a few other things in it too.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                        Jaysus.

He's not wrong too.

Comment

@SP see Jarlath bred the winner of the bumper in Limerick plus all the baby/children talk on here.. Got me thinking about Jennie's and her foal. How are mammy and baby doing?
                          Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                            The most enjoyable time I've ever spent on twitter. Am loving the replies. Nostalgia is a wonderful thing.

One guy thanking me for bringing back lovely memories of his Mam.
                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                              @SP see Jarlath bred the winner of the bumper in Limerick plus all the baby/children talk on here.. Got me thinking about Jennie's and her foal. How are mammy and baby doing?
                              Yeah poxy yoke! for the second day in a row I've been let down for a decent treble by the odds on shot in the bumper after looking all over a winner And to rub salt in the wound Peter's one earlier was the only one who didn't place for me in an EW yankee
                              I know the mare quite well she has another couple of nice looking ones coming along.

Jennies doing great has moved in with Jarlath now where she has the Walk in the Park filly rising three who lost an eye as a foal and as a result won't go to the sales , she is coming along nicely is broken and already doing some pretraining with a view to making a decision about when she might be ready to race after the summer. There is a really lovely looking two year old Shirocco gelding who will probably turn up in the sales at some stage, a nice Court Cave colt (was due to be Mount Nelson but we missed his last cover by one day) and she's now back in foal to Shirocco.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Darn, thought Charlie Brooker might have done another antiviral wipe. It's just a repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Yeah poxy yoke! for the second day in a row I've been let down for a decent treble by the odds on shot in the bumper after looking all over a winner And to rub salt in the wound Peter's one earlier was the only one who didn't place for me in an EW yankee
                                  I know the mare quite well she has another couple of nice looking ones coming along.

Jennies doing great has moved in with Jarlath now where she has the Walk in the Park filly rising three who lost an eye as a foal and as a result won't go to the sales , she is coming along nicely is broken and already doing some pretraining with a view to making a decision about when she might be ready to race after the summer. There is a really lovely looking two year old Shirocco gelding who will probably turn up in the sales at some stage, a nice Court Cave colt (was due to be Mount Nelson but we missed his last cover by one day) and she's now back in foal to Shirocco.

Jaysis, poor Jennie probably thought she could put her hooves up after Royal Ascot.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

The most enjoyable time I've ever spent on twitter. Am loving the replies. Nostalgia is a wonderful thing.

One guy thanking me for bringing back lovely memories of his Mam.
                                    The one that was used in my home since the 80's is still being used to this day, they had it out on the turkey. Poor mum trying to cut my seitan with it but it going nowhere.
                                    Pretty cool that it's been going for longer than I've been alive.

Comment

Escaped Dublin on the 26th before the restrictions kicked in and headed west. Weather has been very hit and miss due to storm Bella. One minute it's nice and sunny, next you're getting a hail shower into your face at a 45 degree angle at the speed of sound.

Desipte that, we've got out and about for both days so far. 1st to the Connemara National Park for a bit of an easy walk/hike and then today, we cut across the headland to Gurteen where we pretty much had the beach to ourselves.

Other than that, the days are spent chilled out, reading, listening to music, watching a movie and having a few beers/glasses of vino.

The plan for the next few days is pretty much rinse and repeat.

It's so fucking nice to be shacked up in Rancho Relaxo.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

The one that was used in my home since the 80's is still being used to this day, they had it out on the turkey. Poor mum trying to cut my seitan with it but it going nowhere.
                                        Pretty cool that it's been going for longer than I've been alive.
                                        Amazing the amount of people still using them, the same ones, decades later.

My Mam used to roast the beef until it was like Oak so it was needed. The oul lad still needed to put his shoulder into it.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Turns out the Russkies were lying about their covid deaths after all. 186k dead versus what they were claiming to be just 55k.

Quelle surprise.

Comment

Turns out the Russkies were lying about their covid deaths after all. 186k dead versus what they were claiming to be just 55k.

Quelle surprise.
                                            "You better believe thats a poisining"

Comment

Quelle surprise.
                                              So wait the officials 'lied' through releasing the information? I'm confused. This wasn't covertly released by some whistleblower or international spy of mystery - its the deputy prime minister who released the updated numbers at a press conference. It seems from the very article you read that they were initially only reporting covid deaths as those where an autopsy confirmed it was covid. Then they did a full check and updated the numbers with all cases where its highly probable covid was involved. I'm struggling to see the lie here. Not releasing this information would have been the lie.

I don't know about the scale, but there has been similar issues in a lot of countries in terms of how covid is measured. Definitely in the UK, as the FT was making a big issue about it for ages until the UK gov eventually fixed the figures. Germany as well. Ireland corrected its reported deaths also - but was one of the few countries to adjust down - by 20-30%. Showing how much uncertainty is involved in measuring death in the middle of a pandemic. But of course le carre bla bla conspiracy bla bla.

I said this ages ago aswell about China and Russia. They are far more democratic at the local level than your novels have allowed you to believe. They might be able to cover up big national political stuff, but their control of say medical stuff is way smaller - especially in Russia where its almost non-existent. Russian hospitals are simply not going to cover up some national conspiracy where people are dying because thats not what doctors do and its just some dude far away in Moscow who has no impact on their daily life.

Comment

Got a text telling me my young man was negative for covid. Great relief.
                                                'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

It was widely suspected by Russians though that they were trying to cover up things in the early days. Like the father in law was saying the hospitals were given limits on how many they could test for covid in order to limit the numbers. But he picked that up from TV and radio, it wasn't a message passed to him hidden under a toadstool by a guy wearing a rain jacket.

​​​​.

Comment

5feab358ec90530a4c2434fa2365107ec1c4cb4f.jpg

So wait the officials 'lied' through releasing the information? I'm confused. This wasn't covertly released by some whistleblower or international spy of mystery - its the deputy prime minister who released the updated numbers at a press conference. It seems from the very article you read that they were initially only reporting covid deaths as those where an autopsy confirmed it was covid. Then they did a full check and updated the numbers with all cases where its highly probable covid was involved. I'm struggling to see the lie here. Not releasing this information would have been the lie.

I don't know about the scale, but there has been similar issues in a lot of countries in terms of how covid is measured. Definitely in the UK, as the FT was making a big issue about it for ages until the UK gov eventually fixed the figures. Germany as well. Ireland corrected its reported deaths also - but was one of the few countries to adjust down - by 20-30%. Showing how much uncertainty is involved in measuring death in the middle of a pandemic. But of course le carre bla bla conspiracy bla bla.

I said this ages ago aswell about China and Russia. They are far more democratic at the local level than your novels have allowed you to believe. They might be able to cover up big national political stuff, but their control of say medical stuff is way smaller - especially in Russia where its almost non-existent. Russian hospitals are simply not going to cover up some national conspiracy where people are dying because thats not what doctors do and its just some dude far away in Moscow who has no impact on their daily life.
                                                    The lie is addressed in the second paragraph.

Comment

Hitch, what it is about Russia if all things that triggers defense mode in you?
                                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

If it's not too late pull back on this and get the Logitech MX Master 3.

It's essentially just a new version of yours
                                                        but uses a magnetic scrolling system
                                                        which makes the scroll wheel way smoother.

Yes I know, could I be a duller nerd!!!

Comment

I said this ages ago aswell about China and Russia. They are far more democratic at the local level than your novels have allowed you to believe........
                                                          BBC have an article worth reading on Chinese democracy in action today
                                                          We look back at how China's propaganda and censorship machine responded during a particularly dramatic year.

Also today journalist jailed for 4 years for reporting on coronavirus
                                                          https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...tmas-crackdown
                                                          Last edited by Western_Sean; 29-12-20, 07:18.

Comment

Present Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Western_Sean View Post

We look back at how China's propaganda and censorship machine responded during a particularly dramatic year.
                                                              Sick of reading about Chinese Democracy. That Guns & Rose's album has been in the works for a long time now.

Axl is just never going to give up on it.

I saw that, I can't quite recall but some of us definitely got into it on the truth of the Chinese information and something around that Dr who also leaked the news and subsequently died from Covid.

I think the difference with Russia & China is that they're attempting to portray a level of superiority in dealing with the virus in spite of ambiguous numbers.
                                                              Putin had the advantage of knowing the mistakes France, Germany & others made so I don't think a 350% increase in "true" Covid death toll can be entirely placed on wrongly assigned cause of death.

Perhaps the conspiracy isn't all that deep but there are elements of propaganda involved.

Also, on LaCarre I only realised last night that The Night Manager was based on one of his novels.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post

If it's not too late pull back on this and get the Logitech MX Master 3.

It's essentially just a new version of yours
                                                                but uses a magnetic scrolling system
                                                                which makes the scroll wheel way smoother.

Yes I know, could I be a duller nerd!!!
                                                                Oh no! This is going to kill me. Its being delivered Wednesday so might be too late.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post
                                                                  5feab358ec90530a4c2434fa2365107ec1c4cb4f.jpg

The lie is addressed in the second paragraph.

No, thats not the lie. That's stupidity. If it was a deliberate lie then the deputy prime minister wouldn't have been sent out to give totally opposite information a few weeks later.

Comment

]
                                                                    China is a brutal dictatorship. Two points though:

1. I didn't say it wasn't. I just said it's surprisingly democratic at the local level. That's why it's hard to cover things up. Like a decent half of the people on here were claiming they were covering up corona.

2. BBC is not a neutral source on China. This story is clearly correct and appalling. But the British interests are to only report the negative side of life in China.

Edit: its not too widely known. A decent part of the BBC news budget is funded directly by the British government to promote British interests abroad. That's why there's a BBC news service available in the languages spoken in the most problematic countries in the world. It's not ad funded, its to spread propaganda.
                                                                    Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 29-12-20, 10:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Think I've reasonably explained it a few times. The only thing we can control is our own propaganda. I think society is better without propaganda. It leads to duller thinking and racism.

Propaganda is what countries use to make people do bad things. We can't control Russian, Chinese, SF (domestically) propaganda, but we can control whether we respond with our own propaganda.

You saw the side effects of this during the early stages of corona when maybe half the people on here swore blindly that China was covering up corona and it was really rampant. Something which there hasn't been the slightest proof of and was simply an echo of the worst of Trumpism, something which most of us would normally run a mile from. Yet because of swallowing the anti Chinese propaganda we were saying (people like Raoul in particular) the exact same thing as the worst Trumpists.

So when I see stuff about countries I understand a small bit I try to fix it a bit. And I don't think it's defense as much as nuance. Nuance is what people who fall for propaganda miss. That something can be bad but maybe not intentionally so, or maybe not as bad as claimed, or maybe twisted by another group to further another agenda.

If you have only one view about any country or people then its almost certainly wrong and probably harmful.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                        I think it's an academic thing rather than a Hitch thing
                                                                        1. Never, ever admit you're wrong even when the facts completely contradict whatever argument you think you're trying to make. We saw this last week where Hitch freely admitted he had no clue of the facts in an argument where Kayroo and I were beating him like a red-headed stepchild. Hence Hitch has fixed his banner to the defence of Russia and China and will defend them to the death.
                                                                        2. Always, always duck away from the main argument and go down a rabbit hole of secondary nonsense.
                                                                        3. Always chuck in the maximum amount of ad hominems. (Hitch seems to have fixed on the idea of labelling me as a fantasist whose worldview comes from spy novels)
                                                                        4. Academics just love arguing. even when there's no point to it
                                                                        I caught my brother (also a professor) doing this the other day where it was clear he knew zero about the subject at hand and was just spoofing. But spoofing in what on the surface appeared to be a very authoritative manner. His response when caught out was pretty much "I'm an academic, of course I'm right!". Although he was laughing as he said it.

Comment

Fairly standard fare for China. The details are pretty awful in this case though:

Zhang has been restrained 24 hours-a-day, and force fed with a tube after she went on hunger strike, Zhang Keke said earlier this month. Zhang Keke visited again on Christmas day, and in a blog post said his client had lost 15 to 20kg and her hair had been cut short.

Comment

Oh no! This is going to kill me. Its being delivered Wednesday so might be too late.
                                                                            Should have waited until the B&M stores opened rather than going for instant online delivery

Comment

Fairly standard fare for China. The details are pretty awful in this case though:

Having read quite a bit about the Uighur situation, I don’t think anything would surprise me now.

What is your bro’s area?

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1683387&d=1609245157&type=thumb
                                                                                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Wasn’t their people on here pimping ripple (XRP) over the past few years? They were pointed to as crypto going legit with big bank partnerships
                                                                                  SEC going after them now -pretty much a scam
                                                                                  found 20 euro worth of BTC in an old wallet - leftover from when I sold a few years back in last bull run -think it was 2 that had been left over

Comment

9 darter in the darts for anyone vaguely interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Having read quite a bit about the Uighur situation, I don’t think anything would surprise me now.

What is your bro’s area?
                                                                                      Biomechanical engineering. Emphasis seems to be on the 'bio'.

Comment

In town being dragged around by teenager. Seems to be a certain subculture revelling in their masklessness.

Comment

Think I've reasonably explained it a few times. The only thing we can control is our own propaganda. I think society is better without propaganda. It leads to duller thinking and racism.

Propaganda is what countries use to make people do bad things. We can't control Russian, Chinese, SF (domestically) propaganda, but we can control whether we respond with our own propaganda.

You saw the side effects of this during the early stages of corona when maybe half the people on here swore blindly that China was covering up corona and it was really rampant. Something which there hasn't been the slightest proof of and was simply an echo of the worst of Trumpism, something which most of us would normally run a mile from. Yet because of swallowing the anti Chinese propaganda we were saying (people like Raoul in particular) the exact same thing as the worst Trumpists.

So when I see stuff about countries I understand a small bit I try to fix it a bit. And I don't think it's defense as much as nuance. Nuance is what people who fall for propaganda miss. That something can be bad but maybe not intentionally so, or maybe not as bad as claimed, or maybe twisted by another group to further another agenda.

If you have only one view about any country or people then its almost certainly wrong and probably harmful.
                                                                                          Thanks for taking the time to reply! I guess I’m just surprised that Russia of all the topics we discuss here is the one that triggers the auto response, the journalists out the window stuff, the navalny stuff and now this corona stuff. I do think you’ve a point about letting media infused biases affect a persons overall perception of a nation (which is silly) but I also find it mad that Russia (or indeed those “generally happy” but massively persecuted Chinese) is the hill you are determined to die on.

On a slightly related note, I saw Ireland is up top on the UN quality of life list.. which is obv gas to many Irish people but also more gas when you see Hong Kong is number 4.
                                                                                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

I think it's an academic thing rather than a Hitch thing[LIST=1][*]Never, ever admit you're wrong even when the facts completely contradict whatever argument you think you're trying to make.
                                                                                            Even though this is a common view rather than a you thing (unlike the Le Carre stuff which you are a bit excessive on) it's the exact opposite of what a research academic does. We literally spend all day trying to work out ways that our ideas are wrong. Questioning everything that seems right. What we do have though, as a result of that, is a rather finely tuned sense for bullshit - including our own - given that we spend most of our time trying to smell it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Should have waited until the B&M stores opened rather than going for instant online delivery
                                                                                              As it turns out you can actually cancel packages in transit with Prime. Cancelled now and got the newer version.
                                                                                              ​​​​​

Comment

What we do have though, as a result of that, is a rather finely tuned sense for bullshit - including our own - given that we spend most of our time trying to smell it.
                                                                                                They do say your sense of smell is the first thing to go with covid....

Comment

I think the shine has well and truly gone off Jack Kennedy. I'd be more inclined to back against him than not these days.

Pure armchair punter view of course. Wouldn't mind the GAB thoughts.
                                                                                                  Not one for criticising jockey's and I was on the winner but I thought he let himself get bullied badly on Abracadabras there and that the RTE commentators read his run all wrong.

Comment

40/1 about the result of the last race in Limerick being overturned looks huge to me... more like a 3 or 4/1 shot IMO

Careful though, I haven't seen the head on

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Not one for criticising jockey's and I was on the winner but I thought he let himself get bullied badly on Abracadabras there and that the RTE commentators read his run all wrong.
                                                                                                      In fairness to Jack he just did a quality job booting home Francis Flood's annual winning plunge

Comment

Pat Spillane nails it.

The post-match commentary, in both print and broadcast media, after Dublin’s All-Ireland Final victory last weekend continues to baffle and annoy me.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                          @RDIII think you are being a little harsh on him myself. I think Gordon Elliotts horses are not quite 100% at present
                                                                                                          It was the ride on Felix Desjy (I didn't back him) that made me make this face: . Looked like he wasn't able to settle the horse at all and was beaten basically from the start. I don't think he's presenting horses great over the fences at all either.

Probably right about GE stable, they do seem to be out of form. Going to be some shakeup in the pecking order when the Gigginstown conveyor belt comes to a halt.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                            @RDIII think you are being a little harsh on him myself. I think Gordon Elliotts horses are not quite 100% at present

I am not sure at which point of the race he was supposed to extricate himself from the pocket. The opportunity never arose for him and then Saldier fell back on top of him.

20/1 Abracadabra for the Champion Hurdle is the bet now!
                                                                                                            I thought just at the bend that if he didn't make a forward move exactly what did happen would. As you say opportunity knocks in Feb and or March it could be quite different.

I was being a bit over optimistic thinking the Limerick Stewards would give Charles and JP anything more than a dirty look

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                              Pat Spillane nails it.
                                                                                                              There no money in telling the truth about Dublin-pat knows what side his bread is buttered on - was probably taken into a darkened room and told that if he wants to keep his Sunday game gig he has to follow the party line- Dublin mafia have it all sown up- speak out and you’ll be metaphorically dead in a ditch- wonder how many speaking gigs Pat will get from peddling this guff
                                                                                                              Last edited by Guest; 29-12-20, 15:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                                Weather has been very hit and miss due to storm Bella. One minute it's nice and sunny, next you're getting a hail shower into your face at a 45 degree angle at the speed of sound.
                                                                                                                Weather was pretty mad, was going from sun to hailstones in seconds in Sligo. Lightning hit my house too, kinda? It was inside the house anyway. I didn't see anything as I had eaten my weight in food and was lying on the couch getting a head massage from my gf with my eyes closed but talking to my bro and mother, he was in the bath and blue bolts of electricity hit the tiles twice, about a foot long strikes, and mum said it was in the room here behind my gfs head and in front of her, made such a loud noise, she said it the electricity was red. Everyone in the house heard that noise really loudly. It was kinda like you'd expect from some electrical device breaking. Most the area had no electricity then but we did, just lost the internet for a while.

Comment

Pat Spillane nails it.
                                                                                                                  Pat Spillane agreeing with you is normally seen as a good sign alright.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Pat Spillane agreeing with you is normally seen as a good sign alright.
                                                                                                                    Was fishing for PSV but the more the merrier

Good man Pat.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                                      Weather was pretty mad, was going from sun to hailstones in seconds in Sligo. Lightning hit my house too, kinda? It was inside the house anyway. I didn't see anything as I had eaten my weight in food and was lying on the couch getting a head massage from my gf with my eyes closed but talking to my bro and mother, he was in the bath and blue bolts of electricity hit the tiles twice, about a foot long strikes, and mum said it was in the room here behind my gfs head and in front of her, made such a loud noise, she said it the electricity was red. Everyone in the house heard that noise really loudly. It was kinda like you'd expect from some electrical device breaking. Most the area had no electricity then but we did, just lost the internet for a while.
                                                                                                                      Thinly veiled head massage brag

Comment

Thinly veiled head massage brag
                                                                                                                        Disagree. Head massage is irritating and a waste of time. I suspect the only reason it was a head massage was they were in a communal area so no risk of bustage.

Comment

Was fishing for PSV but the more the merrier

Good man Pat.
                                                                                                                          Good one

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X