This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oleras View Post
    Thermometer is handy to know where you are with the stones temp.

Eliminate guesswork in pizza-making with Ooni's Digital Infrared Thermometer. Laser-guided, precise tool calibrated for perfect bakes on cordierite stones.

Turning peel is also handy.

The Ooni Pizza Turning Peel keeps pizza in contact with the base of your oven while you spin it, so it cooks even faster. Order here to spin your pizza like a pro!

Obv these are all ooni branded, similar can be got on amazon for half their prices.
    Thanks Ole. If you can be trusted on any topic, it's outdoor cookery.

Bought the Ooni Koda 16 and a cover for it as well. The peels and thermometer seem nuts prices for the own-branded so will get them off Amazon.

Excited now to master the art of pizza-wankery.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

That's about 4k of the Biden Buckz spent now. Enjoyable spree thus far on wine, a S20, clothes, books and various other bits of crap.

Comment

On Georgie Bests anniversary

Comment

Would bring a tear to a glass eye. Adios Diego!

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Always liked Jimmys more understated yet effective version......

Comment

Comment

Nice photo essay of Maradona imagery here. I remember being in Naples about 15 years back and indeed Maradona was displayed like a saint in pretty much every shop\cafe\bar\restaurant you went into.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                  That picture is class . It sez it all.

Comment

You can watch all of his goals, dribbles etc. but I love this clip of him just knocking a ball about on a string in a warm up.

Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 25-11-20, 18:18.

Comment

It gets worse

Dont cry for me Argentina

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

I just watched this and smiled thru the whole thing

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Guess the hardware matters too, alexa wouldn't be a great output for putting into speakers.
                          Depends on the internal Digital Audio Converter (DAC) quality really. Echo Link is better than Echo Dot it seems but a bit of rooting around on the web would be more definitive.

Could be ok actually, the speakers might have more of an impact.You could try the regular free trial first and just switch over to this deal if you like what you hear.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...cho-dot.11824/
                          https://darko.audio/2019/06/amazon-e...iew-follow-up/

You should check too if it supports MQA format (if you want the high-res experience) - the app on my MacBook and iPhone do but the Samsung telly app doesn't (yet).

Anyway I signed up for the deal quick smart. Cheers Opr!
                          Last edited by BennyHiFi; 25-11-20, 21:16.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

FB_IMG_1606339847962.jpg

Comment

I see Trump is testing out the pardoning limits with Michael Flynn. Manafort surely on the list too.

The real craic will be if he tries to pardon himself.

Comment

Comment

Nice to see some bad press for Amazon given the week that’s in it

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

So we've finally gone through the 1bn gbp mark , and Biden back out to 1.07

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

Depends on the internal Digital Audio Converter (DAC) quality really. Echo Link is better than Echo Dot it seems but a bit of rooting around on the web would be more definitive.

Could be ok actually, the speakers might have more of an impact.You could try the regular free trial first and just switch over to this deal if you like what you hear.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...cho-dot.11824/
                                          https://darko.audio/2019/06/amazon-e...iew-follow-up/

You should check too if it supports MQA format (if you want the high-res experience) - the app on my MacBook and iPhone do but the Samsung telly app doesn't (yet).

Anyway I signed up for the deal quick smart. Cheers Opr!
                                          On a somewhat related topic, is there an alternative option to AirPods that are either better quality at the same price point or as good in quality at a lower price?

Im waiting until tomorrow or Monday to pull the trigger on a pair as a gift.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

On a somewhat related topic, is there an alternative option to AirPods that are either better quality at the same price point or as good in quality at a lower price?

plenty of options but airpod pros are probably the slickest (quality to size ratio). the Shure range is probably the best quality wise (mine are over 10 years old and still outstanding sound), but even the bluetooth ones have wires connecting the 2 earbuds. Another option is the cambridge audio melomania, which have only got great reviews and are very cheap (proportionally), however they're not the prettiest.

plenty of over ear options also

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

plenty of options but airpod pros are probably the slickest (quality to size ratio). the Shure range is probably the best quality wise (mine are over 10 years old and still outstanding sound), but even the bluetooth ones have wires connecting the 2 earbuds. Another option is the cambridge audio melomania, which have only got great reviews and are very cheap (proportionally), however they're not the prettiest.

plenty of over ear options also
                                              It's the bluetooth option I'm after and AirPod Pros seem quite expensive. I'll see what Apples gift card offer is like tomorrow to see if I can justify it. The standard version are working out around €140.

I've read about the Cambridge Audio ones and I thought the white was ok looking. I'll take a look at the Shure range. Thanks

On an unrelated note, new 3 & 4 beds in Ranelagh: https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...17967?mode=amp

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
                                                You can watch all of his goals, dribbles etc. but I love this clip of him just knocking a ball about on a string in a warm up.

I love this clip. There's a sort of zen calmness that comes from watching a master craftsman do something simple. Like Gordon Ramsay cooking a steak.

You can now pre-order Gordon Ramsay's new book - Ultimate Home Cooking - before it's release 29th August 2013. Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Cookery Course is out...
                                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Some lad on RTÉ yesterday on about how Ernst and young will be coming on board to analyse data to help decisions to be made on lifting restrictions in certain areas when coming out of lockdown. Not even questioned by the interviewer, said in a reassuring way!
                                                  nice handy couple of hundred thousand for doing fuck all , these guys are good at that in fairness

Comment

Buy a skillet off amazon too that fits in Ooni, we have been using that to finish off reverse-seared and sous-vide steaks. Lovely smokey flavours and beautiful charred crust. Like Steak outta Shanahans
                                                    Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                    https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                      Oh hopefully theres court cases over this. so many court cases.

Judge: "So Mr PE Teacher tell us about the day of the event."

PE teacher: "Well the principal called me into the office around 3pm and said the New York Post was looking for a quote on what my favourite sexy leggings were. I then went home to my wife and she whacked an iron at me, but the nurse in the hospital was lovely but said to not worry as I'd be back oogling at my preteens in no time. It was around then I started to suspect this was a notable day in my career as a PE teacher."

Judge: "I just don't get Ms Journalist how you let this story get out without checking."

Journalist: "Oh I checked. You see these teenagers in Carlow posted a blog about ..."

Judge: "No, I mean what type of checking did you do of the story before accusing this PE teacher of being a pedophile?"

Journalist: "Yeah so, I'm not sure I fully explained - these teenagers in Carlow posted a blog about ..."
                                                      Did you read the article you’ve posted??
                                                      sounds like the school did not a lot wrong just a case of the usual WhatsApp shitstirrers we now have everywhere having a meltdown

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                        Some lad on RTÉ yesterday on about how Ernst and young will be coming on board to analyse data to help decisions to be made on lifting restrictions in certain areas when coming out of lockdown. Not even questioned by the interviewer, said in a reassuring way!
                                                        nice handy couple of hundred thousand for doing fuck all , these guys are good at that in fairness
                                                        Have dealt with numerous empty-heads in suits from a mix of the big consulting firms over past few years. Confirmed stealing a fucking living.
                                                        Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                        https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

I use the samsung ones and find them very good.
                                                          They stay in fine when I'm out walking and only occasionally come loose when running but for some reason they are more inclined to come out when I'm working at home
                                                          But they sound great, charge lasts long enough and you'd mostly forget they are there.
                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                              Buy a skillet off amazon too that fits in Ooni, we have been using that to finish off reverse-seared and sous-vide steaks. Lovely smokey flavours and beautiful charred crust. Like Steak outta Shanahans
                                                              Maybe I can invite Denny around for dinner and some fancy wines.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                who was the first journalist to run with the PE teacher angle?
                                                                can you link to the story pls?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

I use the samsung ones and find them very good.
                                                                    They stay in fine when I'm out walking and only occasionally come loose when running but for some reason they are more inclined to come out when I'm working at home
                                                                    But they sound great, charge lasts long enough and you'd mostly forget they are there.
                                                                    I might put a pair on the new WFH wishlist. They asked me yesterday if a preferred an Xbox or a PS so a set of earphones is hardly much of a reach.

Comment

Comment

Like, is the 'story' just Twitter (i.e. 99% bullshit) or was it published in an actual media outlet?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                          Like, is the 'story' just Twitter (i.e. 99% bullshit) or was it published in an actual media outlet?
                                                                          Published on Newstalk which is affiliated with a few radio stations. Does that qualify as actual media outlet?

Comment

Published on Newstalk which is affiliated with a few radio stations. Does that qualify as actual media outlet?
                                                                            Depends on your view of Denis O'Brien.

Is there a link to the actual story though? i.e. something that is clearly defamatory of someone

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Its a brave new world if thats acceptable. I'm fairly certain its not acceptable though, legally. As in I don't think you can rely on a defence of 'reasonably thinking something is true', but rather it has to actually be true.
                                                                              There is a defence of honest opinion where the opinion expressed is in the public interest. I think she could likely plead that if sued. She would lose though if you ask me. The posters that were put up around the school referencing what was said to the students makes no mention of the "distracting the male teachers" bit and I think any reasonable person looking at the various positions taken by different persons would lead you to believe the reference to the male teachers was not made by the school but rather developed in the re-telling. Which makes it defamatory.

By the by, unless a male teacher actually said it was distracting (less than 1% chance of that) then even if the school DID say it the reporting is defamatory but the defamer is the school rather than the reporter who accurately reported the statement made by the school.
                                                                              You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                              World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

she is the story, a newstalk reporter who "broke" the story which newstalk then covered at great length on their 4pm - 7pm Hard Shoulder show.
                                                                                That reporter is, coincidentally, the IMRO News Reporter of the Year for 2020. So a respected radio journalist. I do think this story has been a rather massive error in its reporting though. School refusing to comment but they rushed to "break" the story was an error too. I think before I implied 17 identifiable men (or some of them) were sexually lusting after schoolgirls I would have ensured I had very good sources. The reporter stated in another tweet that her sources (on the record) were 8 parents and 4 students. The parents are not sources. They were not there and cannot confirm anything. The 4 students are identified as being all female so presumably they can give first hand evidence but she does not seem to be standing over the "distracting male teachers" element of the story as much as the "not to wear leggings" part of the story.

Comment

she is the story, a newstalk reporter who "broke" the story which newstalk then covered at great length on their 4pm - 7pm Hard Shoulder show.
                                                                                  But the story is surely 'school said don't wear tight-fitting clothes to school as it is distracting' (clearly bad but not as bad as 'school said don't wear tight-fitting clothes to school because specifically Mr PE Teacher Pervert Man X is getting aroused by underage girls in their said tight-fitting outfits')

Like there's monumental levels of idiocy at play here but it doesn't seem actionable on first glance.

Comment

...

Comment

But the story is surely 'school said don't wear tight-fitting clothes to school as it is distracting' (clearly bad but not as bad as 'school said don't wear tight-fitting clothes to school because specifically Mr PE Teacher Pervert Man X is getting aroused by underage girls in their said tight-fitting outfits')

Like there's monumental levels of idiocy at play here but it doesn't seem actionable on first glance.
                                                                                      There are 17 male teachers in the school. That is a reasonably small and identifiable class of persons. Therefore it is actionable by each and all of them.

Comment

school principal on RTE said it was simply an enforcement of uniform policy
                                                                                        “What was being noticed by staff, myself and others, over the last month and a half or so is that on PE day when the students were coming in, particularly the girls, the uniform regulations weren’t being followed and it was becoming more of a fashion show more than anything else,” school principal Ray Murray told RTÉ.

Together with colleagues, Murray decided to issue a reminder to classes individually last Friday. Rumours – now known to be inaccurate – began to swirl among some students later that the decision had been taken due to discomfort among male members of staff. Some were unhappy that girls, not boys, had been singled out.

Murray said he checked with the relevant teachers to ensure nothing inappropriate was said. He said he was assured on multiple occasions that this was the case.

“We have female deans of discipline who are mothers themselves who are talking to girls and I know there was nothing inappropriate, wrong, or uncomfortable that was said to them,” he said
                                                                                        https://www.irishtimes.com/news/educ...torm-1.4419309

Who knows what was actually said to the girls though? Nothing written down. Principle reminded the teachers verbally. Teachers reminded the girls. www. ChineseWhispers .com

Might one teacher have jokingly remarked something like "Jeasus, yez better rap up girls or ye will have Mr. Peteacher in a flutter".

Perfectly understandable, but loose statements like 'it was becoming more of a fashion show more than anything else' are the start of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/educ...torm-1.4419309

Who knows what was actually said to the girls though? Nothing written down. Principle reminded the teachers verbally. Teachers reminded the girls. www. ChineseWhispers .com

Might one teacher have jokingly remarked something like "Jeasus, yez better rap up girls or ye will have Mr. Peteacher in a flutter".

Perfectly understandable, but loose statements like 'it was becoming more of a fashion show more than anything else' are the start of it.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

There are 17 male teachers in the school. That is a reasonably small and identifiable class of persons. Therefore it is actionable by each and all of them.
                                                                                              Is it a leap from 'male teachers being distracted' to 'male teachers being roaring perverts'?

Anyway, BCB and HH seemed to referring to a single individual i.e.:

that is exactly (partially) HH's points. Journalists ran with the story and fucked a PE teacher under a conga train of busses based on heresay, facebook and what's app bolloxology. The PE teacher should get the absolute sweep out of this, and very rightly so.
                                                                                              so that's where I thought it seemed to be a single teacher being named and singled out, except that doesn't seem to be the case....

Comment

Is it a leap from 'male teachers being distracted' to 'male teachers being roaring perverts'?
                                                                                                Nope. Defamation by necessary innuendo. What were they being distracted by? The nubile female form is clearly the answer. What sort of distraction was it? Sexual. That is quite obvious. The idea that a teacher would be sexually distracted by young children (keep in mind this was said to children as young as 12) is obviously defamatory.

Comment

Lineker speaking about Maradona is quite good:

Comment

Nope. Defamation by necessary innuendo. What were they being distracted by? The nubile female form is clearly the answer. What sort of distraction was it? Sexual. That is quite obvious. The idea that a teacher would be sexually distracted by young children (keep in mind this was said to children as young as 12) is obviously defamatory.
                                                                                                    I can see you up there declaiming your argument lustily in front of Justice Woulfe. I'm sold.

Comment

Except the school didn’t say that. If they did it would also be defamation.
                                                                                                      The school has a uniform policy. I imagine most schools do. Due to covid changes, that policy has started to slip. So the school reminded students there was a policy.

That scenario should be extremely obvious to any adult hearing the story. The parents jumping to scandalous conclusions are idiotic, but mob mentality is expected.
                                                                                                      The reporter publishing, what is clearly libel, however should know better and to be honest she deserves to end up in court.

Comment

What part of it would necessarily say that it applies to younger students, could be the 17, possibly even 18 year olds, and the policy would have to include banning for everyone.

Comment

that is exactly (partially) HH's points. Journalists ran with the story and fucked a PE teacher under a conga train of busses based on heresay, facebook and what's app bolloxology. The PE teacher should get the absolute sweep out of this, and very rightly so.
                                                                                                          Whatever the rights and wrongs of the story... the comments by politicians like Hazel Chu coming down on the school is worrying (but hardly a surprise)

Whatever about journalistic integrity... fucking politicians!?

Bit like when the blues bar in London got accused of racism by an actor on twitter and there was an immediate pile on that included David Lammy.
                                                                                                          Security camera evidence proved that the accuser was false/mistaken, Lammy shut up and there was supposed to be a court case for defamation being looked into

As an aside... don't pay much heed to Dublin politics due to not living there but have noticed if Hazel Chu is on your side you're probably in the wrong
                                                                                                          Last edited by Guest; 26-11-20, 14:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                            Except the school didn’t say that. If they did it would also be defamation.
                                                                                                            The school has a uniform policy. I imagine most schools do. Due to covid changes, that policy has started to slip. So the school reminded students there was a policy.

That scenario should be extremely obvious to any adult hearing the story. The parents jumping to scandalous conclusions are idiotic, but mob mentality is expected.
                                                                                                            The reporter publishing, what is clearly libel, however should know better and to be honest she deserves to end up in court.
                                                                                                            You've inspired me to look at the dress code for my daughter's secondary school (mixed, no school uniform):

We encourage diversity and self-expression; however a dress code is part of the personal education of pupils here.
                                                                                                            A bit less self-expression and more study plz

All clothing that is worn must be clean, modest and appropriate for daily school life. Underwear must never be seen and all slogans and pictures must not be offensive
                                                                                                            good to know that underwear is off limits

Tracksuits and tracksuit shorts MUST be kept for PE or for sports activity.They should not be worn in the normal classroom setting, in exams or for any school related activity.
                                                                                                            seems standard enough?

Shorts, skirts and dresses must of moderate length. They must be suitable for school life and not for a night out.
                                                                                                            I'd say there's some fun conversations around this.

Comment

You've inspired me to look at the dress code for my daughter's secondary school (mixed, no school uniform):

A bit less self-expression and more study plz

good to know that underwear is off limits

seems standard enough?

I'd say there's some fun conversations around this.
                                                                                                              What does a 16 year old young lad wear to a no uniform school if tracksuits are off limits?

Comment

Girls used to be not allowed in school with the wrong shoes as the reflection off them may let the male student see their underwear.

Comment

...

Comment

What does a 16 year old young lad wear to a no uniform school if tracksuits are off limits?
                                                                                                                    Knee length skirt obviously

Comment

...

Comment

this just dawned on my son (who goes there in September) - the realisation that his halcyon years of spending every day in tracksuit bottoms will soon be at an end and he will be forced into donning jeans...

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                                          Girls used to be not allowed in school with the wrong shoes as the reflection off them may let the male student see their underwear.
                                                                                                                          I was cautioned for dropping the ol pencil on the floor too often plus exorbitant amount of time on the floor retrieving said pencil I got both charges for the price of one. Saying the rubber came off also lost credibility However the missions were often successful and morale was cough cough boosted.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X