This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good place online to buy a chef's knife, or recommend a good knife.

Budget €100
    I've used the smaller (12cm) version of this for 8 years now. I'd expect they are still as good https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wusthof-Cla...%2C192&sr=8-23
    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Can anyone recommend a good place online to buy a chef's knife, or recommend a good knife.

Budget €100
      We've had one of these for a few years very happy with it. Had an earlier version which was also good. Lifetime guarantee as well which they honour without quibble.
      18cm chef's knife from Corin Mellor's 'Black Handle' range. Fully forged carbon steel blade with double-hardening process for corrosion resistance.

Comment

Love Molly Tuttle.

Great little half hour for those of you who like your grass a shade of blue

Comment

Meath match rigged by big money, big tech and the media. They should bring the lawyers in and demand a recount.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

buy a good oilstone or wetstone and learn how to sharpen a knife (loads of you tube vids) - it will be better than any money you spend on a knife. Those 4e Ikea yellow handled knives will be all you ever need.
            Back in the day when you'd see butchers using knives I'd only ever see them using the sharpening steel and never noticed them using a stone, was that a back office job or was it perhaps that they used the steel so often and so effectively that they didn't need to?
            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Back in the day when you'd see butchers using knives I'd only ever see them using the sharpening steel and never noticed them using a stone, was that a back office job or was it perhaps that they used the steel so often and so effectively that they didn't need to?
              Steel will help maintain prolong an edge (same as a leather strop in a barbers). But stones of a fine grit is how you put an insane edge on a blade. Wood chisels are polished to a razor edge on a whetstone too.

+1 for Ikea knives with a maintained edge for value.
              The David Mellor knives above are very nice designs from one of the UKs best know industrial designers. Although the steel isn't going to be any different.
              You can pay mad money for a japanese layer steel knife, probably superior but will wear out just the same if you don't maintain it.
              Last edited by Mellor; 23-11-20, 12:10.

Comment

I'm in the midst of my yearly hunt for pre-season NBA outright markets.

The liability is always pretty small so if I really fancy a player for an award, I need to look around different bookies plus price discrepancies can be quite big. That said, I'm usually able to get a bookie to take a 2k or 3k liability without issue so 25e at 100/1 or similar.

I signed up to a relatively big bookmaker today and their liability was 100e so something in the region of €1.25 at 75/1.

The effort to then withdraw the remaining money is just painful.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Are you actually typing "power" into the search box ? It wont be in the populated menu. Only because I made the same mistake.
                  what should i type in?

Comment

Attached Files
                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions lads. I'd say I'll opt for a wetstone and a good knife.

Dobby tagged me in this tweet and I've sent the lad a message, highly doubt a custom made knife is within budget though..

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Would be surprised if most weren't using a stone. Worked part time in a butchers many moons ago and both steel and stone were in use.

Comment

Comment

Ordering this for myself

Three-piece sharpening set consisting of a Skerper Basic Ceramic sharpening steel, a Skerper Basic combi sharpening stone grain 180 / 600 and a Skerper Basic combi sharpening stone grain 1000 / 3000.

Looks like just what I've been missing trying to get by for years with just a steel

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                              Made an accidentally top lunch there.

Had some leftover three-bird roast from yesterdays dinner. Chopped it up. Also had a pack of Dunnes 'exotic' mushrooms. Chop chop chop. A bit of sesame oil then fry fry fry. Then after adding in the secret ingredient*, threw in a pack of Amoy Singapore noodles. What a lunch, what a dish, what a success story for starting the week.

* yes, the secret ingredient that turned the dish into some amazing and a joy to behold. Ideally this would have been spoilered for the big reveal, but I don't think images in spoilers work anymore:

PAX-White-Mausu-Peanut-Rayu-600x777.jpg
                              Have seen that stuff for years and thought it looked nice, but it isn't vegan so they lost a grand in sales to me. Been eating this stuff from the tub recently, gorgeous

Attached Files

Comment

Budget €100
                                Any decent set of budget knives? They don't need to to be great I chop veg like. Also a stone too then I guess.

Comment

Comment

Maybe its Scott Adams of Dilbert fame punting away on betfair

6. Trump lawsuits are being tossed out of court. The fake news does not tell you the strongest evidence of fraud has not yet been presented to the courts. The first lawsuits were probably just to keep the fraud argument alive while lawyers dug for the good stuff.

Comment

what happened to Scott Adams?

TDS?
                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Comment

I see I lost maybe €2,000 by selling ethereum at about €370 instead of €490 (and rising).
                                          A mate has been bouncing off Ripple for months now all around 25c, way too much invested.
                                          To say he's relieved elated is an understatement.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                            what happened to Scott Adams?

TDS?
                                            He is following a slightly exaggerated version of what is a common enough trajectory of an acquired mental illness suffered by many young men.

The typical scenario is that an academically clever, diligent white male adolescent is given access to the deranged ramblings of Ayn Rand. This causes a deep form of arrested development usually characterised by an intense sense of superiority and an equal and opposite contempt for other humans. This belief of the typical Rand reader that they are very much smarter than they are is held with enough confidence to convince other people and often this leads to a bright university and early career progression. Sooner or later the wheels fall off and the fallout can be quite unpleasant.
                                            The Trump White House was packed with these types and as we can see with many of those their only real skill is self aggrandising salesmanship so when they are called on to show any uality or competence they always fail.
                                            Sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

A mate has been bouncing off Ripple for months now all around 25c, way too much invested.
                                              To say he's relieved elated is an understatement.
                                              There is a fork coming up, he should dump immediately after I guess!

Comment

Chinese rocket launch

Comment

Oh Edinburgh got a tough draw here, they will be gdoing well to get out of this

Comment

I see I lost maybe €2,000 by selling ethereum at about €370 instead of €490 (and rising).
                                                    I was thinking of investing in ripple back then, remember asking you about it I think (2months?)
                                                    Ripples doubled since then.
                                                    I couldn't commit to a platform to buy. It all seems a bit complicated with wallets, seed codes, verification and cashing out etc just lost interest. Also the possible hacking etc.

Mind you was just a grand or so.

I would really need a very simple trading platform .Deposit with Visa. Buy, sell cash out.

Just not tech, internet savvy. Bit Homerlike in that respect.

Comment

That was sick, Round 2 is so cruel.

I'd say Niamh is kicking herself on the Oz Rules question, I thought I could see on her face she wanted to buzz but was holding back for one of the others to be more confident in the answer.
                                                      Last edited by Strewelpeter; 23-11-20, 21:03.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

I was thinking of investing in ripple back then, remember asking you about it I think (2months?)
                                                        Ripples doubled since then.
                                                        I couldn't commit to a platform to buy. It all seems a bit complicated with wallets, seed codes, verification and cashing out etc just lost interest. Also the possible hacking etc.

Mind you was just a grand or so.

I would really need a very simple trading platform .Deposit with Visa. Buy, sell cash out.

Just not tech, internet savvy. Bit Homerlike in that respect.
                                                        think you can do it on Revolut - no idea of fees
                                                        His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

That was sick, Round 2 is so cruel.

I'd say Niamh is kicking herself on the Oz Rules question, I thought I could see on her face she wanted to buzz but was holding back for one of the others to be more confident in the answer.
                                                          She rang me after losing and said it was the 1st thing that came into her head. She heard the team name Collingwood and was going to buzz in straight away then but doubted herself after hearing other team names . Also disappointed as they were 85 to -5 up at one point. Still a great performance but obviously I'm going to say that.
                                                          Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post

She rang me after losing and said it was the 1st thing that came into her head. She heard the team name Collingwood and was going to buzz in straight away then but doubted herself after hearing other team names . Also disappointed as they were 85 to -5 up at one point. Still a great performance but obviously I'm going to say that.
                                                            Kohn from Imperial is an absolute beast. With a bit more support he could carry them all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Kohn from Imperial is an absolute beast. With a bit more support he could carry them all the way.
                                                              Kohn is unbelievable. Would love to see the stats on starter questions. Defo one of the quickest players with the knowledge to boot.
                                                              Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Comment

It seems harsh to lose two really good teams either of whom would have won last weeks match. Would be fairer and more entertaining if they ran the quarter final format to bring it to the last eight and do a KO from there.
                                                                  She did great, I would normally warn any contestant away from looking at Twitter but in her case all the reaction was positive

Comment

Kohn is unbelievable. Would love to see the stats on starter questions. Defo one of the quickest players with the knowledge to boot.
                                                                    At this stage he's a bit of an outlier.

Comment

Tony concerned that we aren't worried enough about Covid.

Wonder what the Trump Reelection Worry Index would have looked like among IPBers?

Comment

Set up Revolut a/c there , took 3 attempts at verifying.
                                                                        Very easy in the end.
                                                                        Bought some tester Ripple too.

Cheers Elbows and HH!

Comment

Yes you can. I just bought 100 ripples on there just now as a proof of concept. Two, three clicks, no bother.
                                                                          already talked about - fees aren't good at all compared to the coinbase/bitstamp of this world. You seem to be a trader rather than investor so good for a bit of easy punting. the Alt coins will do well given the bitcoin run, but IMO are all way more exposed to the challenging questions re Bitcoin (any coin algorithm is easy to spin up, store of value better than currency use cases) . BTC the winner. For investors.

Comment

Noticed recently that Aldi have started selling vitamin d. They come in 12.5 µg tablets, though at 99c for 105 tablets you could double, triple up or go mad!

4088600123837_0.jpg

Comment

Wonder what the Trump Reelection Worry Index would have looked like among IPBers?
                                                                              Speaking of which, Trump appears to have finally given up on the bullshit and instructed his administration to begin the official transition process.

Would still love to hear a concession speech.

Comment

Although the Betfair market remains open. Just the €1.06bn traded now.

Comment

Yesterdays Bill Burr was one of the rare ones with video

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                    Braved the Covid to get an x-ray in Tallaght Hospital today. Though I've always wanted to err on the side of caution, I think we may have over egged it.
                                                                                    Got the results of that x-ray yesterday. No kidney stones found. They must have taken a really good look at it over the three months.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Got the results of that x-ray yesterday. No kidney stones found. They must have taken a really good look at it over the three months.
                                                                                      I've heard descriptions of 'passing' kidney stones. Sounds like torture so WP.

Comment

Notice handed in, 2 week transition ahead before a handy December.
                                                                                        A week off between jobs and a couple of weeks off when the new office closes for Xmas.

Hoping for golf courses to open for visitors from Dec 1st to round off a solid month.

Comment

...

Comment

ffs. wish I'd bought more than a hundred ripples (€50!) seeing as they seem to have risen 25% since last night.
                                                                                            Woke up to €40 profit
                                                                                            Had breakfast...€5 profit

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                              Notice handed in, 2 week transition ahead before a handy December.
                                                                                              A week off between jobs and a couple of weeks off when the new office closes for Xmas.

Hoping for golf courses to open for visitors from Dec 1st to round off a solid month.
                                                                                              Nice one Murdrum - same kinda gig or something new?

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Nice one Murdrum - same kinda gig or something new?
                                                                                                    Probably more similar to my previous role than my current role but different sector than both.

I finally have NBA in my title though which is the most important.
                                                                                                    Unfortunately it's not proceeded by "Player" but it's as close as I'm going to get.

Comment

...

Comment

I feel that these chaps may have stolen the intellectual property of the HHE somewhat with their site name.

Comment

...

Comment

Hopefully the male PE teacher in question, who someone has decided is being distracted by scantily clad teens, can take a moment out of trying to keep his marriage together to speculate on just how much cash he is going to be able to claim from the school in his lawsuit. A decent house worth, I'd imagine. wtf.
                                                                                                            Get with the times , it could be a female .

Is there a specific person named? Spunk Found on the staff room windows ? Seems an odd one . In my day the teens wore those little blue tight shorts ooerrr.........I'll be back in a few minutes

Comment

Thought this might be our interest, I think it is so well written.

“What literature tells us about pandemics”

Nothing about numbers or anything, just writers who have used previous events as backdrops for their writings and how the relationships between people evolve.

Im not doing it any justice but worth a read.

In the era of COVID-19, we are learning that scientific diagnosis is harder than we thought. Do we focus on symptoms? Do we use swabs or will a spit sample suffice? How long must we wait for results? How many of these tests are available? And are they actually reliable? And reliable for how long? For the past many months, and doubtless for the foreseeable future as well, all of this seems terribly vexed, yielding little clarity or certainty. This pandemic has been a crash course in uncertainties.

Such questions camouflage the grimmer and more urgent threats now visible. What fuels the anxiety-filled diagnostic project is a pandemic’s core terror: the prospect that you might infect me, and that I might die, or cause someone else to. After all, diagnosis is a sedate analytic procedure, but potential death is something else: it is what fuels, darkens, and exacerbates our dilemma.

And we don’t know where to turn. The media, the politicians, even the doctors, seem at odds with one another, as we ponder the return to work or the opening of schools and businesses or the diabolically hard equation between public health and the economy.

As a literature professor, I can scarcely claim medical or political expertise. But the diagnostic project is far-ranging, and it tests a good bit more than whether you are infected or contagious. We diagnose in order to shed light on what seems murky and needs explaining: one’s symptoms, the Dow Jones index, the meaning of one’s life or career, the behavior of a friend or lover or social group or foreign nation. No swab or bloodwork can deliver news of this stripe. We can tabulate the number of deaths at home or abroad, but we must go further to diagnose the deeper truths now coming to light.

Literature offers a longitudinal picture of pandemics and societies’ responses. Many of the books in the traditional Western canon are cued to these matters: think of Boccaccio’s Decameron, with its account of holed-up, storytelling Florentines during the Black Plague of the fourteenth century, or of Sophocles’s Oedipus the King, which uses a plague as the backdrop to a story that is essentially a rebuke of the human capacity for self-knowledge. In Sophocles’s play, uncertainty rules; Oedipus does not know that an old man he killed was his father or that the woman whose bed he shares is his mother. His city, Thebes, is dying: blight on the crops, dying cattle, stillborn children. His people see him as their doctor-savior. But by the play’s end, Oedipus comes to understand that he is actually the curse, his hidden transgressions the reason for the plague. Of course, every reader or spectator of the play (including the Athenians in the fifth century BC who saw it performed) already knowsthis. But Sophocles is a wily political analyst. Hidden incest and parricide don’t stack up today as scientific explanations for a pandemic, but the play nevertheless asks a deceptively simple question: Who is going to take the blame?

Here is one of literature’s diagnostic payoffs: it shows us that mass death triggers recognizable political responses, including the expedient scapegoating of particular people or groups. Nowhere has this been more on display than in the colloquial names that have been attached to sexually transmitted diseases. Susan Sontag memorably pointed out the ways in which syphilis was “coded” as it swept through Europe in the late fifteenth century: “It was the ‘French pox’ to the English, morbus Germanicus to the Parisians, the Naples sickness to the Florentines, the Chinese disease to the Japanese.” This is the lurid tradition that U.S. President Donald Trump and his allies are carrying forward when they dub the coronavirus that causes COVID-19 “the China virus.”
                                                                                                              LOVE AND DEATH

During a viral pandemic, the fundamental human act of connection can kill us. The novel coronavirus relies on such connection; mitigation efforts (social distancing, lockdowns) seek to snuff it out. Writers have long dealt with these matters. In A Journal of the Plague Year (1722), Daniel Defoe describes the manic behavior of Londoners trying to survive a devastating epidemic in 1665, in ways that echo our current struggles: they wear gloves, clean everything with vinegar, and touch no one. Nowhere is Defoe more compelling than in his accounts of quarantine’s horrors: desperate mothers on the lookout for dreaded spots on the flesh they called “tokens,” trying to protect their children but inevitably infecting them instead merely through proximity—familial deaths gruesomely occasioned by love.

Charles Dickens’s masterpiece Bleak House (1853) enlists smallpox as its viral signifier for all intercourse and exchange. Jo, the novel’s child-of-the-slums, dies of it. Esther, who tends to the boy, is disfigured by it. And the reader sees that the entire project of distancing is often a fantasy: the great slum at the core of both London and the novel is a constant source of disease and death. Dickens himself, a tireless promoter of urban hygiene, knew that filth and rot spread and cannot be contained, and his tentacular plots always expose links and connections with political significance: the haughty aristocrats who think themselves safe behind the walls of their mansions find that even for the most powerful people, immunity is a fiction. For even if the body is saved, the mind and the heart cannot be protected.

The most tragic of American writers, William Faulkner, knew a great deal about this. Faulkner’s books take a wrecking ball to pieties about human and social separation. His baroque plots are keyed to two stubborn taboos: incest and miscegenation, acts that involve crossing boundaries meant to keep people apart. Faulkner’s richest novel, Absalom, Absalom!, magisterially probes both. At the core of the novel’s plot is Henry Sutpen’s murder of his friend Charles Bon at the gates of the Sutpen family plantation in 1864. Charles is engaged to Henry’s sister, but readers learn by the book’s end that the two men are, in fact, half brothers—and that Charles is of mixed race. It is hard not to see that Faulkner is writing about the Civil War itself as an act of mass fratricide rooted in a racial taboo.

All of Faulkner’s genius is enlisted in showing that the murder did not have to happen, and that perhaps the war itself did not have to happen. “The overpass to love” is how Faulkner describes the alternative to bloodletting, an overpass that discovers the humanity of the Other. That discovery is not cerebral, not the result of education: it is physical, sensorial, sexual, and rooted in the most basic drives in human life. He writes:
                                                                                                              Because there is something in the touch of flesh with flesh which abrogates, cuts sharp and straight across the devious intricate channels of decorous ordering, which enemies as well as lovers know because it makes them both—touch and touch of that which is the citadel of the central I-Am’s private own: not spirit, soul; the liquorish and ungirdled mind is anyone’s to take in any darkened hallway of this earthly tenement. But let flesh touch with flesh, and watch the fall of all the eggshell shibboleth of caste and color too.

Faulkner saw how human touch can shatter taboos: it is the most explosive force in the world, and also the most binding. Paradoxically, pandemics—which restrict touch—nevertheless expose human connection. Fighting viral spread requires the segregation and, in a sense, the incarceration of people. But plague is a curtain lifter. In the United States, COVID-19 has been no different. Nursing homes, first responders, doctors and nurses, grocery deliveries, the mail that comes to our doorsteps, and the food we eat: all broadcast the truths of connection. And it is more than viral. Americans can now see, behind these numbers, that their country’s most underpaid are its most overexposed, that the most ignored are the most likely to die, that the most privileged are at once the least threatened and the most parasitic—and that the country’s institutions are complicit in these disparities. It is surely no coincidence that anger over police brutality against Black Americans exploded—and spread so far and so wide—during a plague year.

In times when words might carry a lethal viral load when spoken at close proximity, it is good to retreat to literature as civilization’s written form of touching. Literature teaches us that we have no immunity against others, nor do we want it. On the contrary, it initiates us, as fellow travelers, into the subjective lives of others, at least for a while. It shines a special light into what Faulkner called “the darkened hallway” of “our earthly tenement.” In this way, it gives us a reading on our affairs that no scientific testing is likely to rival.
                                                                                                              Last edited by Guest; 24-11-20, 16:19. Reason: Sorry spoiler makes it look terrible

Comment

BTC closing in on all time high.
                                                                                                                Ether and Ripple still well off ATH. Both track BTC and would have achieved their ATHs just after BTC did at the end of Dec 2017.

If this bubble is anything like the 2017 one, things are going to go bananas during thanksgiving.

Comment

BTC closing in on all time high.
                                                                                                                  Ether and Ripple still well off ATH. Both track BTC and would have achieved their ATHs just after BTC did at the end of Dec 2017.

If this bubble is anything like the 2017 one, things are going to go bananas during thanksgiving.
                                                                                                                  Currently an item i sold for bitcoin in a computer game is worth €9k. What a time to be alive. I bought xrp at 88 cent so will sell it off around then too as I think it's meh. The only losing asset in my crypto.

Also just invested again now in this ethical fundraising round for existing shareholders of Kale United. It's only up a few hours and is nearing it's €2,000,000 max fund. If it does go to the general public tomorrow may be worth a punt, my shares have gone up 80% in the last 2 years or so and I can't see the plant based market slowing down. https://www.fundedbyme.com/en/campai...fin_info=True#

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Currently an item i sold for bitcoin in a computer game is worth €9k. What a time to be alive. I bought xrp at 88 cent so will sell it off around then too as I think it's meh. The only losing asset in my crypto.

Also just invested again now in this ethical fundraising round for existing shareholders of Kale United. It's only up a few hours and is nearing it's €2,000,000 max fund. If it does go to the general public tomorrow may be worth a punt, my shares have gone up 80% in the last 2 years or so and I can't see the plant based market slowing down. https://www.fundedbyme.com/en/campai...fin_info=True#
                                                                                                                    How does profiteering from the human misery and climate catastrophe directly caused by BTC tally with ethics, it's about as non Vegan as can be
                                                                                                                    Last edited by Strewelpeter; 24-11-20, 19:08.

Comment

How does profiteering from the human misery and climate catastrophe directly caused by BTC tally with ethics, it's about as non Vegan as can be
                                                                                                                      That has to be the stupidest thing I've read in a while

Comment

...

Comment

Bought some Ripple for shits and giggles. As an an absolute novice in this game, what are the odds on some kinda explosion that'd take it to bitcoin levels? I'm guessing slim to none?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X