X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I subscribed to the NYT and the Washington Post, I'd say I read the Washinton Post about ten times more. I should really sign up for the Atlantic and the New Yorker, I get a lot more enjoyment out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Took out a NYTimes subscription recently and thinking of cancelling it even though its only €4 a month. The stories are just not interesting.
        Same here, it's very dry.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
          I subscribed to the NYT and the Washington Post, I'd say I read the Washinton Post about ten times more. I should really sign up for the Atlantic and the New Yorker, I get a lot more enjoyment out of them.
          The Atlantic app on iPad is very good, similar to The Economist.
          I subscribe to the print version of the latter, it's not cheap but it's very good and worth it to me for taking a break from the screen.
          I had TheNewYorker a while ago, it's good but I imagine you liking it more than me because it has a heavier focus on the arts.

Skeptic @ $15 a year and ForeignAffairs which is $30 I believe are my other subs.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

The Atlantic app on iPad is very good, similar to The Economist.
            I subscribe to the print version of the latter, it's not cheap but it's very good and worth it to me for taking a break from the screen.
            I had TheNewYorker a while ago, it's good but I imagine you liking it more than me because it has a heavier focus on the arts.

Skeptic @ $15 a year and ForeignAffairs which is $30 I believe are my other subs.
            I've been robbing my allocation of Free articles for years off The Atlantic. Might be time to finally start paying.

I used to get The Economist for years but eventually grew out of the habit. I do like that they will cover areas of the world that you would otherwise hear very little about.

Comment

For the tech folk out there, for some reason my laptop keeps going to lock screen after ten mins and there is no way of solving it.

im on windows 10 and it’s driving me mad, any ideas..?

Comment

Betdaq closed and settled the market today, I think ( could have been yesterday as hadn't logged in since Wednesday).

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                  Wow, a poker book (how 2008). Has anyone read this?
                  Yes; well worth the read

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Thanks Benny!

My answer is going to bore you though, I do everything with Ableton. I write the whole thing with VST instruments and then send it to musicians. I love the back and forth with the musicians - this song was supposed to be a minute short but the trumpet player sent me back two takes, and I loved both so I just extended the song. The violinist suggested having several violins which ended up working really well, the initial song is a shadow of what it is now.
                    Cool. Interesting approach. Never considered writing something fo other musicians to play but then my approach has largely been lo-fi DIY. Would love to do a one-man black metal project with real instruments. Could probably just about stretch to a four-track demo quality playing everything myself. Need to start getting my guitar riffs together.

Anyway looking forward to hearing more and world denomination.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                      For the tech folk out there, for some reason my laptop keeps going to lock screen after ten mins and there is no way of solving it.

What color is the laptop?

Comment

RTE doesn't seem to be giving as much coverage to whether their own top staff should resign for having a party as they did to politicians in golfgate. The idea of how silly it is to engrain the concept that you should resign from your main income because of a minor transgression is being made somewhat apparent.
                        McCullagh having to squirm his way through the news is entertaining tbf

Comment

Dafuq is going on there?
                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

You should be able to change it in Power and Settings in Win 10
                            Unless its subject to a work policy
                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Friendly reminder that you can get a huge number of magazines for free on your mobile or tablet through your library account, which you can now set up for free entirely online, including the Atlantic, the New Yorker & the Economist.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                Friendly reminder that you can get a huge number of magazines for free on your mobile or tablet through your library account, which you can now set up for free entirely online, including the Atlantic, the New Yorker & the Economist.
                                Is that via PressReader or through the BorrowBox app?

On an unrelated note, what phone should I be requesting in work? If I recall a couple of the “plus/max” models required some add on by me so not doing that but anything else Samsung, Apple and so forth seems fine.

Comment

Watching 'Contagion' for the first time ever. Not terribad.
                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                    Watching 'Contagion' for the first time ever. Not terribad.
                                    Not very good either unfortunately.

Comment

Another €18m in the following two hours.

Now €930m. Probably dwarfing the actual Election Day market itself.
                                      Another €30m done.

I feel there must be a story here but not sure what it is.

Comment

Seems to be a mixed bag. When I clicked on location as 'Dun Laoghaire Rathdown' a few days ago it was PressReader and most titles were very outdated. Clicked on 'South Dublin' today and it was rbdigital.com which seems more up to date.
                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

On an unrelated note, what phone should I be requesting in work? If I recall a couple of the “plus/max” models required some add on by me so not doing that but anything else Samsung, Apple and so forth seems fine.
                                          RB Digital is the one you want

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Did you try the tidal offer I posted recently? Really liking it so far and may scrap my Spotify membership all together
                                            So I signed up for my free month and got the 24-bit 'masters' tracks deal for free on the trail which is what I wanted to check out - do they REALLY sound like they would to the musician in the studio? (Master is 24-bit/ vs Cd quality 16-bit)

I put in my 3 'fav' artists (Beatles, Prince and Aphex Twin just to get things moving, not wholly representative but decent nonetheless...) and got a 100 track mix tape of recommendations served up to kick things off with as soon as my onboarding was complete.

Well, to say I'm impressed is an understatement.

Started off by listening to Robert Palmer's Addicted to Love follow by Prince's When Doves Cry and I'm sure I heard them with totally new ears. Harmonies here, guitar licks there, depth of drums, etc... that just didn't seem to exist before.

I compared The Beatles 'Come Together' vs vinyl at a decent volume and found them to be very similar on my system. Tidal was probably giving more space to the music and a bit crisper on the high end and tighter on the low end, the vinyl still had more groove with more aggressive guitars. in the middle for sure. A coin toss with Tidal perhaps shading it.

Anyway, it's a revelation of sorts.

Tidal pays artists x3 more than Spotify does. It's still not great but it's a start and I'm only gonna be listening to artists on Tidal who've have already made their dollar.

I'm still gonna be buying Japanese grind core, Norwegian black metal, Spanish electro and Irish post-rock on vinyl, cassette and very occasionally on CD cos there's no better way to interact with the artists and experience the music.

I'm only really interested in the hi-res/24-bit shit on Tidal. Cos it sounds like it should, fucking mind-blowing. I doubt I'd pay 19.99 a month at the minute but one day maybe, gimme a month anyway to figure it out...

Fuck Spotify. Vote for artists and sound and move on.

Last edited by BennyHiFi; 20-11-20, 22:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

RB Digital is the one you want
                                              First one that popped up was The Economist but when I clicked in, it was entirely checked out.

I tried the next one which was Woman's Weekly to see if it was an error but no it wasn't, so I have a copy of that for the week now.

*Flicking through it now, once you download it, you own it and no due date.
                                              Last edited by Guest; 20-11-20, 22:36.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

2 to 5% shot? only way i can see is if he bribes is way into placing dodgy electors on the 14th?

no real clue tbh, but that would be my guess
                                                Quite interesting these "faithless electors." Had never heard the term before but it happens pretty regularly it seems, albeit on a small scale. I know little about it but you have to think it is open to widescale corruption.

Ahh 'Merica.

Comment

Faithless electors do not count for settlement of the betfair market. I don't get it they have nothing better than Rudi's My Cousin Vinny defence going for them and there are millions lying on the ground waiting to be picked up

Comment

My daughters watching the new series of The Crown are fascinated by the stories of how I knew Mick Fagin before he was famous.

Poor Mick was fairly harmless mostly just sat around stoned and mooning after his wife who was now living in the same squat as us with her new boyfriend. We knew him as Irish Mike presumably because he was the only Mick with an English accent.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                      My daughters watching the new series of The Crown are fascinated by the stories of how I knew Mick Fagin before he was famous.

Poor Mick was fairly harmless mostly just sat around stoned and mooning after his wife who was now living in the same squat as us with her new boyfriend. We knew him as Irish Mike presumably because he was the only Mick with an English accent.
                                                      Assuming you have watched it, how do you feel about his portrayal?

I'm finding this season is far better than than the last. Perhaps an episode ahead of the Fagan one.

Calls for Gillian Anderson to win an Emmy for Thatcher. I dont know much about her mannerisms except a few YouTube videos but it feels almost comedic how she is portrayed.

Comment

I bought Slayer's 'Reign in Blood' album the week it came out in 1986 as producer/record label DEF JAM/Rick Rubin were going places and the word was good.

Metalilca, Anthrax and Megadeth also released critically acclaimed albums that year that would define a genre and make many millionaires.

34 years later listening on Tidal, Reign in Blood is still, by a country fucking mile, the best metal album of all time.

It's like The Undertones - Teenage Kicks for satanists.

No wonder Rubin became a bazillionaire after this (Red Hot Chili Peppers, Tom Petty, Johnny Cash etc...)

Last edited by BennyHiFi; 20-11-20, 23:10.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I said Trump is buying time . At least Ed agrees with me.

Comment

Final musical proposition for the week.

Short, beautifully filmed documentary, about Ennio Morricone by his friends and love ones.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                                I bought Slayer's 'Reign in Blood' album the week it came out in 1986 as producer/record label DEF JAM/Rick Rubin were going places and the word was good.

Metalilca, Anthrax and Megadeth also released critically acclaimed albums that year that would define a genre and make many millionaires.

34 years later listening on Tidal, Reign in Blood is still, by a country fucking mile, the best metal album of all time.

It's like The Undertones - Teenage Kicks for satanists.

No wonder Rubin became a bazillionaire after this (Red Hot Chili Peppers, Tom Petty, Johnny Cash etc...)

Slayer are awesome. Lucky enough to see them 4 times live.
                                                                Master of Puppets IMO the best rounded metal album for me although I know it's probably cliched at this stage. If i was controversially minded i'd actually put "...And Justice for All" very close to it.

Would be interested in seeing the musically inquisitive folk on here giving the aforementioned a bash, if they already have not. May think its tosh but i honestly think it belies it's genre.

Comment

Comment

18-wheeler Scammels, Domineker camels
                                                                    All other mammals plus equal votes
                                                                    Seeing Picadilly, Fanny Smith and Willy
                                                                    Being rather silly, and porridge oats

Comment

I'm finding this season is far better than than the last. Perhaps an episode ahead of the Fagan one.

Calls for Gillian Anderson to win an Emmy for Thatcher. I dont know much about her mannerisms except a few YouTube videos but it feels almost comedic how she is portrayed.
                                                                      Never thought i'd say it but this is probably next on my Watch List. Have had so many people tell me in the last few days that it's the bee's knees - including from some people who *ahem* it woudn't be their normal cup of tea. That's generally a decent guide.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Master of Puppets IMO the best rounded metal album for me although I know it's probably cliched at this stage. If i was controversially minded i'd actually put "...And Justice for All" very close to it.

Would be interested in seeing the musically inquisitive folk on here giving the aforementioned a bash, if they already have not. May think its tosh but i honestly think it belies it's genre.
                                                                        I like Slayer but only when driving or downstairs in Brusselles best metal album imo is -> Machine Head Deep Purple , I saw them before John Lord died , they were old but fk me it was A GREAT NIGHT . My unruly long hair was stuck to me .

Comment

Ha and now I have to fire up The Meat Puppets .

Comment

Top quality chocolate. Been a while since I've thought there was something newish in the choc world. They've a chocolate almond honey nougat which is like a brilliant version of a toblerone.

tonys-chocolonely-milk-chocolate-180g-2.jpg
                                                                            Been lobing them for a decade, try magic mayan salted caramel, also bean and goose. Two Irish brands.

Comment

If Deep Purple were the godfathers of metal. The meat puppets were the original grunge inspiration

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

I like Slayer but only when driving or downstairs in Brusselles best metal album imo is -> Machine Head Deep Purple , I saw them before John Lord died , they were old but fk me it was A GREAT NIGHT . My unruly long hair was stuck to me .
                                                                                Coincidentally, Machine Head are another really good metal band if you are that way inclined. "Intense" is the way i describe them.

Comment

Metallica and Slayer aren't really the same genre to me, guess they were a bit more similar earlier. I think if you ask people into metal what the best album is the average person won't have heard of the band they suggest let alone the album, maybe due to the huge subgenre diversity and lack of popular appeal, only old legends are known. Metallica and Slayer have cracking albums though. I remember my home pc hitting 10000 hours of Slayer as a kid.

My first album ever was Sepultura, awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                    Metallica and Slayer aren't really the same genre to me, guess they were a bit more similar earlier. I think if you ask people into metal what the best album is the average person won't have heard of the band they suggest let alone the album, maybe due to the huge subgenre diversity and lack of popular appeal, only old legends are known. Metallica and Slayer have cracking albums though. I remember my home pc hitting 10000 hours of Slayer as a kid.

My first album ever was Sepultura, awesome.
                                                                                    For sure, i'd class them into different genres too. Metallica, almost hard rock in a way. Slayer certainly thrash metal. That's a very simplistic way of looking of it of course but there is no doubt that Metallica have slipped away from "pure" thrash over the years.

Yeah, the common response from friends when metal comes up is the old "don't they eat heads off bats" thing, Amazing on so many fronts.

Comment

Vulgar display of power, powerslave and master of puppets for me. All nostalgia picks tho.

metal is a weird genre for me, I dont think I have owned a proper metal album written in the last 15 years which is debatable since it was system of the down.

Comment

...

Comment

I presume they were having an off-day for that recording solks. jaysus.
                                                                                          It was raw and real unlike most of the 80s synth shit . Did ya hang around for the whole vid . Its gets better . Nirvana owe these guys a lot imo.

If they had better vocals a lot of people would have been appeased but nawww I could listen to them for a nice raod trip , I never got buy in on my road trips though lol.
                                                                                          Last edited by Solksjaer!; 21-11-20, 01:34.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Vulgar display of power, powerslave and master of puppets for me. All nostalgia picks tho.

metal is a weird genre for me, I dont think I have owned a proper metal album written in the last 15 years which is debatable since it was system of the down.
                                                                                            Ah not debatable at all, SOAD another great band. Released a couple new songs recently for the first time in a long time actually. Dunno what happened them really, some band members don't get along i think. 2 albums in 6 months and nothing for about 15 years if i remember correctly!

Comment

IPB friday night music review . Last week Billy Bragg this week Rock. Next week Funk - step forward Benny

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                IPB friday night music review . Last week Billy Bragg this week Rock. Next week Funk - step forward Benny
                                                                                                Needs some videos so. The aforementioned Slayer:

Comment

I really want Tidal, but only with Benny's expert ear for a tune when listening to the music. Have a feeling the quality would be wasted on many of us.
                                                                                                  Honestly it won't. Stop listening to your own voice. Just listen. And listen again. You'll hear the difference.Take a moment and listen.

Comment

Needs some videos so. The aforementioned Slayer:

Always class. Lombardo remains the greatest drummers of all time basically. Yes Hanneman is dead but Kerry King is the other greatness, inc. Beastie Boy solos. Fuck yeah....

I saw Slayer first in 1988 in the Ulster Hall in Belfast (with Nuclear Assault) when the kids were taking over the establishment.
                                                                                                    Last edited by BennyHiFi; 21-11-20, 02:01.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

I think metal is great as a nostalgia pick generally - everybody has their fav, and that's fine. 30+ years since you like a particular record and your opinion is still valid I think.

Comment

In fairness I've only seen one scene but it was Olivia Coleman being absolutely amazing as usual opposite Gillian Anderson doing a sketch show bit.

It's so jarring when actors forget they are actors and decide to drop their art in favour of doing impressions. It was fucking woeful!

Comment

Poor game of rugby but crazy intensity. All to play for with 5 minutes to go

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                            Faithless electors do not count for settlement of the betfair market. I don't get it they have nothing better than Rudi's My Cousin Vinny defence going for them and there are millions lying on the ground waiting to be picked up
                                                                                                            Hence why I think there's a story there. But what that is I do not know.

Comment

Cricket game guy has joined us. I always dreamed this day would come.

Comment

Comment

Speaking of metal, thought this music vid from gojira was a cracker recently.

Comment

Haven't watched it I'm told there is a whole episode about him, will be interesting to see how they tell the story, might just jump in and watch that episode sometime next week.

Comment

Uh oh. Not looking good!

Comment

Lineout difficulties are a disaster.

Some finish by May though.

Comment

Even if it wasn't so crap it would be impossible not to get tired of rugby union. It's just constant. It is though, it's crap.

It must be cheap to buy the tv rights for it or something

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X