Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M8 you the professor, I hold my hand's up on the two American German sounding fuckers. I was winging it XX

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
            So it's down to PA really to get this thing done. Where are those infamous 30k Pittsburgh votes?
            there's some of them just now, 9k votes and breaking overwhelmingly for Biden
            Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 07-11-20, 02:36.
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

The post-vote shenanigans are in full effect now and don't seem capable of doing anything other than embarrassing Trump further and causing some yet to come localised violence.
              I edited my first post re Denny before reading this, jumped the gun a bit hands up .

True but ny point on the vote is anyone who didn't factor in at least .04 at evens on this happening post vote and shouting now when's it going to be paid out is naive.

This was always ambiguous unless stipulated and agreed beforehand.

The betfair market is who will be he next president, not who wins the vote to be next president .. if you see what I'm saying.

In a normal year I don't see that market settled until January when the next President takes over. So Betfair get there big of extra vig like a solicitor stalling on an insurance settlement laying in their acc for six month. I know no interest these day but Betfair isn't Bet "fair" they are a black hole.

I digress, point is this year more than ever anyone betting this thing who hadn't factored in 10/20% of the price as not being pot election happening's is a fish.

Comment

Originally posted by nicnicnic View Post
                point is this year more than ever anyone betting this thing who hadn't factored in 10/20% of the price as not being pot election happening's is a fish.
                this seems to be C Kid levels of post-event analysis

I must have missed your sophisticated contributions to the debate before the election itself

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

good point! although wouldn't the commission be 5% of 4% - so a net return of 3.8%?
                  A heyor, there's an option on betfair to pay 2% / in the exchange client My Account "My Betfair Account" first option on drop .. Promotions and Rewards on the row options - you can choose 2% commission. Dunning and Kruger nationality aside XX.

Comment

Comment

I edited my first post re Denny before reading this, jumped the gun a bit hands up .

True but ny point on the vote is anyone who didn't factor in at least .04 at evens on this happening post vote and shouting now when's it going to be paid out is naive.

This was always ambiguous unless stipulated and agreed beforehand.

The betfair market is who will be he next president, not who wins the vote to be next president .. if you see what I'm saying.

In a normal year I don't see that market settled until January when the next President takes over. So Betfair get there big of extra vig like a solicitor stalling on an insurance settlement laying in their acc for six month. I know no interest these day but Betfair isn't Bet "fair" they are a black hole.

I digress, point is this year more than ever anyone betting this thing who hadn't factored in 10/20% of the price as not being pot election happening's is a fish.
                      you mean my 10k for Kamala has a chance

Comment

this seems to be C Kid levels of post-event analysis

I must have missed your sophisticated contributions to the debate before the election itself
                        Your point ? If I tip something |'ll show my bets , where are yours .. where were yousr on Hillary 4 year ago for that matter ?

Happy enough with my sophisticated contributions to the debate before the election, one post suggesting no play. .

You made the perfect call in 1000 posts pre election, then shit yourself and ran off to bed at 4.30am night of election when you should have been banging the 11/4 with. Sophisticated contributions like!​

Comment

Don't mind nicnicnic golf predictions, follow me for the Masters and you're sure to win.
                          I'll be hanging my hat on Westwood this year at 170s. Back on form after a few years away and he likes it there.
                          5/8 Top 10s in Augusta, 7/8 Top 20s between 2010-2017

My golfing credentials include a double digit handicap of my own and being the only person to back Danny Willett to ship The Masters in 2016.

Also, worth noting with all Nic's golfing tips, his tips stipulate that if you win, all future proceeds must be subsequently placed on Martin Kaymer, just something to be aware of I feel.

Comment

An interesting theory that I read about the day of the election called “The Blackmail Theory”. Researcher showed that since early 1970s 21% of presidential elections globally have been disputed.

Two of the influential factors in the probability of disputing an election is a country with a first past the post electoral system and a candidate who’s party has minority positions in lower houses.

The idea is that the losing candidate is simply pressing the matter themselves or through agreement with party officials in order to get concessions. In the case of Trump, the one that party officials may be pressing is an agreement not to change the structure of the Supreme Court.

I don’t doubt Trump is narcissistic enough to simply be throwing a tantrum but interesting to see if the Democrats actually cede anything to the Republicans to put an end to the shit show.
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-11-20, 06:40.

Comment

Forget about Westwood - loser.

Rahm for Masters.

As usual, please no 'standard photocopy yank' if not one of my stable.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                Buying biden on a bargain . No drugs on board . Florida always a flip.
                                For the nicnics of this world The pre election experts predicted how the voting would go . The likes of the C kid forgot Joe's words 'patience' . Democracy beat Trump . Hes not a fan. I suspect you are somewhat disappointed with the results and also drunk. If I was a proper gambler like yourself I'd have made a fortune. Did you ? If not ask yourself why ?

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Rahm for Masters.

Deshambeau is a terrible price . However it will be fascinating watching how he does. I'm scared of Bubba , he is sneaking back to form . Going with him and Scott. Be also interesting to see how the greens are . A bit slower might suit aggressive putters- Thomas ?

Comment

PS . I was right about Tiger and modern golfers
                                    Now for a sossie sambo and a spending spree .

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Rahm for Masters.

He’s my fav player so as a fan I hope he wins.

Originally posted by Solksjaer View Post

Deshambeau is a terrible price . However it will be fascinating watching how he does. I'm scared of Bubba , he is sneaking back to form . Going with him and Scott. Be also interesting to see how the greens are . A bit slower might suit aggressive putters- Thomas ?

I really like Bubba, got on him after R2 & R3 of US Open because he was leading stats T2G so ball striking was there. He’s streaky and generally a bad putter.

With DeChambeau, Rahm, Rory and whoever else is at the top, I find it pretty hard to back at the top of the market. The gap between the top few guys and field isn’t that big, must be a little value elsewhere.

Pressed to pick one, I’d probably take Rahm or Xander because it’s only a matter of time with them.

Westwood or Kokrak further down the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

He’s my fav player so as a fan I hope he wins.

I really like Bubba, got on him after R2 & R3 of US Open because he was leading stats T2G so ball striking was there. He’s streaky and generally a bad putter.

With DeChambeau, Rahm, Rory and whoever else is at the top, I find it pretty hard to back at the top of the market. The gap between the top few guys and field isn’t that big, must be a little value elsewhere.

Pressed to pick one, I’d probably take Rahm or Xander because it’s only a matter of time with them.

Westwood or Kokrak further down the field.

Bubba is also not scared to win it.

I'd love to see Phil do it..but alas.

No love for Hatton ? I love how he wears his heart on his sleeve but it doesntc effect him too much. Speith is similar . Great listening to them and seeing despite their level of expertise they have a human side they cant suppress .

Comment

This Trump bet has really rustled some jimmies.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                            This Trump bet has really rustled some jimmies.
                                            Literally just about to share this anyway, it wont un/derustle an Jimmies but reading point 3 would probably make up my mind for me.

1) Settled on Tuesday Night

This is possible but not probable. For this to happen, there would need to be a sizeable win for Joe Biden in Florida, coupled with three or four other key states reporting results faster than is anticipated.

2) Settled on Wednesday or Thursday

This appears more likely than a Tuesday settlement, given the logistics of the counts. Significant increases in postal ballots will, for example, cause counts to be slower than previous elections. Betfair markets would remain active and trading throughout.

3) Contested Result

A contested result includes a legal battle regarding re-count, the Supreme Court deciding the winner and any scenario other than a clean Electoral College vote majority.

This could happen if we see a margin of less than 1% in a key state like Florida, Michigan or Pennsylvania. Nothing would be conceded in this scenario and the projections couldn't be made given the margins involved.

There is potential after a re-count that a result would be determined, but legal challenges would be likely should the state Electoral College total be the balance of power in terms of winning the presidency or not.

There is no way of giving a clear view of settlement time in advance in this case, but these market rules will apply:
                                            "If there is any material change to the established role or any ambiguity as to who occupies the position, then Betfair may determine, using its reasonable discretion, how to settle the market based on all the information available to it at the relevant time. Betfair reserves the right to wait for further official announcements before the market is settled."

Comment

I always understood that Dunning Kruger applied to the corporate environment. That ultimately everybody gets promoted one position above their competency level.
                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Your point ? If I tip something |'ll show my bets , where are yours .. where were yousr on Hillary 4 year ago for that matter ?​
                                                My point being that you came in after the event and started a series of passive-aggressive posts that were needling in tone. For no particular reason.

This seems like a 'show us your dick' post.

I hardly ever publish my actual bets in here (unless it's something amusing). I'll make an exception this time (although if you want a headline I stand to win ~8.1k, depending on how GA and NC get called that'll move slightly up or down by a few hundred. That's from a total stake of ~11k.). So nothing earth-shattering but by far the most I've ever put on a single event. Most of the loot went down on 10/11, 4/5, 5/6 prices many weeks before.

I didn't back Hilary last time and published a long analysis about what a terrible candidate she was so don't know where you're coming from there.

You made the perfect call in 1000 posts pre election, then shit yourself and ran off to bed at 4.30am night of election when you should have been banging the 11/4 with. Sophisticated contributions like!​
                                                I never intended to do any punting after the polls closed and never suggested I would. Seeing as I was locked by 2am with my eyeballs rotating at max speed, that was probably the right play. I'm not a pro punter and have never claimed to be.

I will write up a retrospective once this fucker settles! All friends again, hugs....

Comment

Anyone want to open a sweep on when this thing does get called?

Comment

For me though as an amateur student of history and politics, even if I didn't have a cent on this thing, I'd still be utterly glued to it in fascination. To a degree I could't ever imagine for a sporting event.

Comment

For me though as an amateur student of history and politics, even if I didn't have a cent on this thing, I'd still be utterly glued to it in fascination. To a degree I could't ever imagine for a sporting event.
                                                      Same. Bar our bet I haven't a cent on it.

It's like a week long World Cup final.

Comment

Jesus, the US covid stats.

132,000 cases yesterday. And you can bet Trump won't do a damn thing about it for the next 11 weeks.

Comment

Masters

Top 70 ish distance to apex
                                                          Top 30 ish in world
                                                          No rookies unless massive price for the place
                                                          Bit of decent recent form
                                                          par 4 birdie or better
                                                          Greens in reg

Masters

stuck a dirty tenner on Bubba at 50's a few weeks ago...no idea why it wasn't more tbh
                                                          Last edited by Guest; 07-11-20, 10:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                            I always understood that Dunning Kruger applied to the corporate environment. That ultimately everybody gets promoted one position above their competency level.
                                                            People probably do have a tendency to be promoted past their competency and stop there, possibly because they were found out. But that wouldn’t be Dunning Kruger effect imo.
                                                            I think Denny (or maybe Hitch) posted before about it being misused a lot as a term.

Comment

Should have posted this along with other two from elBusto last night

Tad aggressive!?

Comment

I hardly ever publish my actual bets in here (unless it's something amusing). I'll make an exception this time (although if you want a headline I stand to win ~8.1k, depending on how GA and NC get called that'll move slightly up or down by a few hundred. That's from a total stake of ~11k.).
                                                                It might be c.8k profit after the fact. Retrospectively that’s the important number. But at the start of the week you didn’t have your stake in hand. Once you’ve placed your bet and it’s in-running, you’re sweating the full return. Obvious not a life changing amount. But 20k is a decent amount of coke and hookers.

I vote for more collective sweats on IrishPoliticsBoards

Comment

I'd be happy to see Arizona go red just to fuck Fox news.

Comment

Define fuckwits:

My definition, my definition is this:

Trump fans rocking out to rage

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                      That's different, its known as The Peter Principle.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                        Masters

Top 70 ish distance to apex
                                                                        Top 30 ish in world
                                                                        No rookies unless massive price for the place
                                                                        Bit of decent recent form
                                                                        par 4 birdie or better
                                                                        Greens in reg

Masters

stuck a dirty tenner on Bubba at 50's a few weeks ago...no idea why it wasn't more tbh
                                                                        Don't follow or back golf as much as i used to but 50s definitely represented value. I see on PP he's 22s now. Don't think i could touch that. Westwood is a bit like me backing Mickelson.... just for nostalgia now. Although in their pomp Mickelson actually had a chance of winning rather than shitting himself consistently.

Tony FInau for me. Think it's a matter of time before he wins a major.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

That's different, its known as The Peter Principle.
                                                                          Aha, that's it!

My bad.

Comment

My bet pales in comparison to the Raoul bet. Suppose it' was easier for me to stay bullish. However I never thought Biden would lose.

Will the correctly spelled SOLSKJAER be sacked this weekend ? Rumours building g.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                              My bet pales in comparison to the Raoul bet. Suppose it' was easier for me to stay bullish. However I never thought Biden would lose.

Will the correctly spelled SOLSKJAER be sacked this weekend ? Rumours building g.
                                                                              I think he probably should go if they lose today but some reports are saying that he won't.

It's not even close to being all his fault. The players are so inconsistent and a bunch of primadonnas but he's just not a strong manager. The media fawn over Rashford but he blows extreme hot and cold.

Thing is unless things fundamentally change at the club the same thing will probably happen to his replacement whoever it is.

Comment

I think Drunk Nic did raise a decent point about the Wednesday morning market, when Biden was available from 2/1 to 11/4 for around 90 minutes.
                                                                                We knew in advance that the exit polls on mail-ins & early voting suggested a 3 to 1 split for Biden, whilst on-day voting would favour Trump, And it was also known and reported that that the latter votes would be counted first. So we missed out by not being prepared in advance to go in big in this window. This was a monster opportunity which was let slip.

It also suggests that despite it being the biggest market of all time, and the most discussed and analysed, that there wasn't a huge understanding of it (Or that maybe there was some clever 'back to lay' money on Trump in the days beforehand which explains why his price was so consistent around 7/4. I doubt it though).

I wonder are horse-racing markets still wiser. It's 11 years since Zenyatta's ridiculously come from behind victory in the Classic at Santa Anita. Being 12 lengths tailed off at halfway wasn't a surprise, I've no idea if the in-running market over-reacted.

Comment

During a particularly extended shower yesterday I decided that all countries in the world should have the same system of government and election format. Ones that permits everyone in the world to vote in a broad way. You see in my new system everybody in the world gets to vote in every country's election to the tune of 50% (I'll allow the people of the country in question to have 50% of the votes). Obviously the world's votes are divided by region too in some way as we can't have China and India deciding everything.

Anyway the point of the this system, organised by a revamped UN, is that every week we get to have an election in a country with worldwide televised debates. We get to know about the lives of people, the issues, and politics of Eritrea, Laos, Mongolia etc. We are a connected world, the politics of one country affects others, so why should others not have a say in it? To hell with nation state vote protectionism!

And if one were minded to bet a little on the outcomes, well who am I to oppose it?

Imagine the betting scams the Asians could pull off as Danny Healy Rae becomes President (as in US style) or the Workers' Party gets a majority?

END VOTE PROTECTIONISM! NO BETTING WITHOUT REPRESENTATION!

Comment

Anyway, have to post Zenyatta's BC Classic win after that.
                                                                                    Then GAB can post Arazi in the Juv and we can move to tonight's renewal.

Comment

I think Drunk Nic did raise a decent point about the Wednesday morning market, when Biden was available from 2/1 to 11/4 for around 90 minutes.
                                                                                      We knew in advance that the exit polls on mail-ins & early voting suggested a 3 to 1 split for Biden, whilst on-day voting would favour Trump, And it was also known and reported that that the latter votes would be counted first. So we missed out by not being prepared in advance to go in big in this window. This was a monster opportunity which was let slip.

It also suggests that despite it being the biggest market of all time, and the most discussed and analysed, that there wasn't a huge understanding of it (Or that maybe there was some clever 'back to lay' money on Trump in the days beforehand which explains why his price was so consistent around 7/4. I doubt it though).

I wonder are horse-racing markets still wiser. It's 11 years since Zenyatta's ridiculously come from behind victory in the Classic at Santa Anita. Being 12 lengths tailed off at halfway wasn't a surprise, I've no idea if the in-running market over-reacted.
                                                                                      Yeah I was thinking about this as well in light of a few well made points elsewhere that the notion of Biden falling miles behind and mounting a dramatic late comeback is complete nonsense and purely an artifact of the order in which the votes were counted.

When the dust settles we will see that the moment the polls closed barring some stragglers he was immediately the winner by something approaching 5 million votes. Some of the states we were sweating so much were never particularly close, they've just artificially appeared to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                        An interesting theory that I read about the day of the election called “The Blackmail Theory”. Researcher showed that since early 1970s 21% of presidential elections globally have been disputed.

Two of the influential factors in the probability of disputing an election is a country with a first past the post electoral system and a candidate who’s party has minority positions in lower houses.

The idea is that the losing candidate is simply pressing the matter themselves or through agreement with party officials in order to get concessions. In the case of Trump, the one that party officials may be pressing is an agreement not to change the structure of the Supreme Court.

I don’t doubt Trump is narcissistic enough to simply be throwing a tantrum but interesting to see if the Democrats actually cede anything to the Republicans to put an end to the shit show.
                                                                                        I think you are confusing Trump with a politician or even a half normal human who has even a scintilla of interest in doing or achieving anything for other people.
                                                                                        Sure if he did a deal on the SC it would be shitty bit of horsetrading that would be a nice win for the Fundies who put him in the White House and may well be the done thing amongst political operators. When this flailing upended turtle finally wakes up to the reality he will probably withdraw completely and hire a kid to keep the uber morons who feed off his twitter fed and watered while they figure out whether he or the daughter can try to run in '24.
                                                                                        My prediction is that the next time he goes to Fla he will only be dragged back to the WH kicking and screaming for some official duties he cannot dodge.
                                                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Me reading this:

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                          During a particularly extended shower yesterday

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                          I decided that all countries in the world should have the same system of government and election format.

Comment

Anyway, have to post Zenyatta's BC Classic win after that.
                                                                                            Then GAB can post Arazi in the Juv and we can move to tonight's renewal.
                                                                                            While we wait for that here's what came out of the hat as my favourite Breeders Cup moment

Looking forward to tonight we usually make a night out of it but that won't be happening this year

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Don't follow or back golf as much as i used to but 50s definitely represented value. I see on PP he's 22s now. Don't think i could touch that. Westwood is a bit like me backing Mickelson.... just for nostalgia now. Although in their pomp Mickelson actually had a chance of winning rather than shitting himself consistently.

Tony FInau for me. Think it's a matter of time before he wins a major.
                                                                                              Nearly did Westwood at the same time as the Bubba poke but he has a lot of bogies and double bogies at moment

Still think he is a decent ew bet at the price and still might...

​​​​​

Comment

It should have been expected, and the market definitely over reacted to the countback.
                                                                                                However, and alternate universe where Trump takes WI, AZ, NV, PA and GA looks pretty much the same in the early hours of Wednesday morning. We had no way of knowing when faced with 2/1 Biden if the postal votes would be enough.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Absolutely. You're right on this. But I think we also mentally looked at the fact that Trump was a mile ahead and just didn't weight the prior knowledge of the polls strongly enough in assessing a comeback potential. As in, we overweigthed the immediate Trump votes and underweighted the base rates.
                                                                                                      It was after the comeback was well in motion and local gurus like Ralston were definitively telling us places like Nevada were in the bag. There were others in the likes of MI/WI that I've already unfollowed saying similar. We were seeing '35k votes about to drop from county X that will favour Biden by 72/28" - there was no reaction to the info in the market, and even when the votes were confirmed the reaction was glacial. I think the market was so huge that the more considered money was just being swallowed up by people pushing buttons based on what CNN/Fox was telling them fifteen minutes after you could have heard about it from local twitter.

Comment

...

Comment

Absolutely. You're right on this. But I think we also mentally looked at the fact that Trump was a mile ahead and just didn't weight the prior knowledge of the polls strongly enough in assessing a comeback potential. As in, we overweigthed the immediate Trump votes and underweighted the base rates.
                                                                                                          I also think Miami Dade whacked the confidence out of everyone.

Comment

...
                                                                                                            Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 07-11-20, 12:58.

Comment

...

Comment

Since starting working in Dublin have got into this rather bitter feud with an economist colleague, mainly centred around tweets about lockdown. He's at the same career level as me so its a socially acceptable feud. At one stage he was messaging me with the economist equivalent of 'do you even lift bro?' (aka - do you even cost-benefit analysis bro). Man, I hate economists. They have this weird sense of knowing everything about how the world works despite just about every single one of their models being wrong. Like fundamentally and completely wrong. Don't take my word for it - here is Paul Romer, Nobel Prize winning economist saying economics is largely crap. And yet they have this cold arrogance, its mad really. By contrast, I have views on a lot of things, but not a lot of confidence in those views - and so frequently adjust those views.

Anyway, every weekend I try to send out a tweet mainly aimed at him without saying his name but that he absolutely knows is directly about him.

SPOILER
                                                                                                                Is there much of an upside for you in having these arguments on Twitter? Like is it good for your profile, or do you knock a bit of craic out of it? I was an awful wasp for it years ago but I've just become allergic over the years.

Comment

Demolished three seasons of Dark in less than three weeks and that's probably the best way of doing it.
                                                                                                                  If you like Time travel yarns this is one of the best IMO
                                                                                                                  Season one and two are excellent, Se03 looks like its going off the rails and definitely could have been edited down an episode or two a but IMO they pull it all back together very satisfyingly in the final episode.

Comment

In case anyone else is eager to know what constitutes an academic fight on Twitter-which in and of itself may be an oxymoron

Is it the person he's retweeting that you're aiming this at?
                                                                                                                    Last edited by Guest; 07-11-20, 13:39.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

I'll take a mulligan pls.

Fucked if I'm going back reading that in my current fragile state.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X