This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
    I realise I never answered your question about my music Benny. We ran into several problems - first when we went to the studio to record the singer had spent ages practising and had come up with a performance that was very different than the demos we had worked on. The songs are some sort of pop-trip hop hybrid, but she was singing them as Celine Dion. That led to a few wasted days as she had to unlearn the Dionster. It's a good learning experience though, it was fun in the studio and I will make sure it won't happen again. She then had acting commitments & now we are locked down, so it's going to be a while. (I've actually left some more hiccups out!)

On the positive side, I decided to make my own EP which is almost finished. It's a bit of a relief to be making all the creative decisions and not be on anyone else's schedule. I've been working with sessions musicians on it which has been really cool, they've really brought the tracks to life. All going to plan the best song on it will have a violinist from Russia, a trumpeter from the States, a bassist from Jamacia and a drummer from Poland.

There's a demo here https://soundcloud.com/user-53190158.../s-ezmU4lXN4wk
    Very good mr Hector. As a matter of interest do you have a sample of it with just the bare instruments . Just for interest . It's not a critique .

Comment

Strange injury to my knee recently. I've been light jogging and it feels ok when moving. When I stop the pain kicks in . Have a few ideas . Physio wanted a video appointment but hated my last one . Not worth it .

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        Pretty shit game tbf
        Sadly this is the case with almost every 6 nations games with Italy in it in the last few years

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Sadly this is the case with almost every 6 nations games with Italy in it in the last few years
          Must be near to the day where Georgia should be given a go instead.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Kanye on Joe Rogan sounds like a recipe for a shit show

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Must be near to the day where Georgia should be given a go instead.
              Would love to see a play off every year for the relegation /promotion spot (last of 6 nations vs 1st of rugby europe). Would be something to aim for.

Sadly it feels like it'll be years before it happens

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Very good mr Hector. As a matter of interest do you have a sample of it with just the bare instruments . Just for interest . It's not a critique .
                Sure...Do you mean a version with no drums?

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                  Kanye on Joe Rogan sounds like a recipe for a shit show
                  I somehow got swindled into believing I won a battle over the TV last night which resulted in us watching Kim Kardashian with Letterman on Netflix.

Kanye was in the audience and I'm going to watch his interview with Letterman now.

She had to think twice when asked who makes more money her or Kanye. A quick Google suggests she has a net worth of 900m and shes not even the richest sister.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

I somehow got swindled into believing I won a battle over the TV last night which resulted in us watching Kim Kardashian with Letterman on Netflix.

Kanye was in the audience and I'm going to watch his interview with Letterman now.

She had to think twice when asked who makes more money her or Kanye. A quick Google suggests she has a net worth of 900m and shes not even the richest sister.
                    I lasted 8 minutes of that Rogan/Kanye thing, and I was able to watch 2 hours of the Trump/Biden shite live

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                      4 eps in to that Slate slow burn Watergate podcast. Brilliant stuff. Cheers lads.
                      Just finished this (Watergate). Gripping stuff.

One thing that seems strange. The meddling in the DNC selection process, prior to Watergate, Nixon hand picking McGovern as his opponent seems vastly more controversial to me than Watergate itself. The shoe robbing story made me laugh.

I still don't understand his motives for Watergate, as was pointed out, he had a landslide lead at the time.

This 'destroying the Democratic party' stuff seems like hyperbole.

Why did he do it?
                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Cheers Murdrum for the heads up, I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the Clinton one.

Comment

One thing that seems strange. The meddling in the DNC selection process, prior to Watergate, Nixon hand picking McGovern as his opponent seems vastly more controversial to me than Watergate itself. The shoe robbing story made me laugh.

I still don't understand his motives for Watergate, as was pointed out, he had a landslide lead at the time.

Why did he do it?
                          It was one episode in a wider network of disinformation and disruption that had been going on since the mid-late 60s.

Haldeman, Elrichman, Mitchell and others had been involved for years recruiting guys coming out of the army to disrupt Democratic events, even silly things like delaying townhalls by pretending to be DNC members.

Comment

Why did he do it?
                            The other question is 'why install a taping system in the Oval Office and then plot criminality?'

Nixon wasn't a stupid man and I'm not a psychologist. Maybe Hotspur can opine.

Comment

The other question is 'why install a taping system in the Oval Office and then plot criminality?'
                              I'm finding it annoying in recent documentaries about anything, but Trump in particular, when they dramatically recreate recorded telephone conversations, they display a cassette tape running. As much as I love cassettes, I wouldn't have considered using one to record anything important for quite a while. Maybe a minidisc

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Nixon wasn't a stupid man and I'm not a psychologist. Maybe Hotspur can opine.
                                    Only extreme paranoia can explain it.

Actually explains Watergate too now that I think of it.

The man had an enemies list that had John Lennon on it.

Comment

Sure...Do you mean a version with no drums?
                                      Maybe a lot less , for a listen if you have it handy. . Cheers . Good work .

Comment

Doesn't everyone have an Enemies List?

Comment

Doesn't everyone have an Enemies List?
                                          I really dislike a particular neighbour. That's it though you psycho.

Comment

fair play noxon
                                            John Lennon should be on everyone’s enemy list for Imagine

Comment

Binged season one of Dark over the last few days, very entertaining time travel yarn, its a bit more Donnie Darko than Twelve Monkeys I'm hoping it can sustain through the two follow up series.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Speaking of time travel I saw Sonny play with Brownie McGee in the stadium in 1980 and it's as fresh as if it was last month!

Comment

May as well have another Gin, free hour drinkin

Comment

1am again, may have another

Comment

I realise I never answered your question about my music Benny. We ran into several problems - first when we went to the studio to record the singer had spent ages practising and had come up with a performance that was very different than the demos we had worked on. The songs are some sort of pop-trip hop hybrid, but she was singing them as Celine Dion. That led to a few wasted days as she had to unlearn the Dionster. It's a good learning experience though, it was fun in the studio and I will make sure it won't happen again. She then had acting commitments & now we are locked down, so it's going to be a while. (I've actually left some more hiccups out!)

On the positive side, I decided to make my own EP which is almost finished. It's a bit of a relief to be making all the creative decisions and not be on anyone else's schedule. I've been working with sessions musicians on it which has been really cool, they've really brought the tracks to life. All going to plan the best song on it will have a violinist from Russia, a trumpeter from the States, a bassist from Jamacia and a drummer from Poland.

There's a demo here https://soundcloud.com/user-53190158.../s-ezmU4lXN4wk
                                                      Enjoyed listening.

I'm hearing tones of this
                                                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEdZqxHmXlg

(which the world needs more of)

Could see it being attractive for montage section on TV's shows. Intended as a compliment just in-case context misunderstood. The few quid is important!

I'm sure Navarre didn't have Top Gear or Grand Designs in mind making

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJZ3rrJR9PU

Also sure royalties are well received.
                                                      Last edited by nicnicnic; 25-10-20, 02:53.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post

fair play noxon
                                                        John Lennon should be on everyone’s enemy list for Imagine
                                                        lol

Carter should have taken McCartney out for Mull of Kintyre. Had to be some kind of CIA mind fuck experiment

Stones "The Untold History of the United States" isn't earth shattering but does give a solid foundation of the evolution to the current shit show. https://www.dailymotion.com/search/T...0States/videos

Chapter 2 re Henry Wallace VP nomination is probably the exact point any hope democracy actually exists is extinguish.

Lesson in there for anyone betting heavy for or against trump. The polls nor votes won't decide if he has another term.
                                                        Last edited by nicnicnic; 25-10-20, 02:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Speaking of time travel I saw Sonny play with Brownie McGee in the stadium in 1980 and it's as fresh as if it was last month!
                                                          Jeez, had no idea they ever played here. It can only have been amazing.

How many people were in attendance? I presume it just the two of them? I wonder if there's any footage of that anywhere.

Comment

Was looking into the dwindling stocks of my wine on Friday and noticed we had quite a few bottles of unwanted wine - decided to put one of them to god use yesterday and made this. Used some Chilean merlot instead of Chianti (drank that instead) but was amazing, just a dark sticky intense sauce that I threw on top of some tagliatelle. No real cooking involved either which is always a bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

Jeez, had no idea they ever played here. It can only have been amazing.

How many people were in attendance? I presume it just the two of them? I wonder if there's any footage of that anywhere.
                                                              That was in the national stadium on the scr at that time it was just about the only venue for international touring bands. You had to go in to Dublin and buy tickets from Pat Egan in his shop on Duke street.
                                                              ​​​​ I'm sure it was full as it always was and I probably bumped into Shay Healey in the jacks because for some bizzare reason I usually did
                                                              Having said it's fresh in my mind I can't decide whether they had a band I seem to remember a drummer and if there were more they were unobtrusive. Iirc Don Baker came on and did a duelling harmonica's thing with Sonny which was amazing because Don was an accompanist to a whole load of people at that time who you'd see on stage at the meeting place or a session in mcDaids.

Comment

This pc is from Pat O'Mahony's twtter

I did have a collection of >20 of these ticket stubs
                                                                Was at at least four of these... Joe Jackson, Clannad, Joan Armatrading but that Kid Creloe gig was something else.

CCA_tN6W0AE8pE_?format=jpg&name=small.jpg

Comment

I presume that by being some sort of a Geoghegan we will be claiming Tao Geoghegan Hart as Irish!

Comment

That was in the national stadium on the scr at that time it was just about the only venue for international touring bands. You had to go in to Dublin and buy tickets from Pat Egan in his shop on Duke street.
                                                                    ​​​​ I'm sure it was full as it always was and I probably bumped into Shay Healey in the jacks because for some bizzare reason I usually did
                                                                    Having said it's fresh in my mind I can't decide whether they had a band I seem to remember a drummer and if there were more they were unobtrusive. Iirc Don Baker came on and did a duelling harmonica's thing with Sonny which was amazing because Don was an accompanist to a whole load of people at that time who you'd see on stage at the meeting place or a session in mcDaids.
                                                                    Somehow I'm surprised that Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee could attract a couple of thousand people to a show here but perhaps I shouldn't be.

Would love to have seen Kid Creole in his pomp as well. Really interesting character and still making great music.

Comment

In other news, I read with great sadness of Kevin McCarra's untimely demise at the age of 62 from Alzheimer's disease.

One of the GREAT soccer writers of modern times (The Times, the Guardian, several lauded books on Celtic F.C.) he really elevated his craft to another level.

I long since stopped caring about soccer in any meaningful way but would always take time to read anything he had to say on the matter.

Damn, that's a cruel way to go for a man who used words so beautifully to evoke time, place, memory and emotion. I hope he kept some of those memorable day and nights out in Celtic Park right to the end.

Comment

Set out to do a bit of a having the craic vid to send to my mates' WhatsApp group. The 3 year old barged in and initially I was cursing her, but she made it...

Comment

Comment

Set out to do a bit of a having the craic vid to send to my mates' WhatsApp group. The 3 year old barged in and initially I was cursing her, but she made it...

Why does your neck look like it houses testicles?

Comment

Looks like?

Comment

Well played Dice. Shipped the IPO for 12.5k. Just the quad Queens to win it. Couldnt happen to a nicer fella

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                  Well played Dice. Shipped the IPO for 12.5k. Just the quad Queens to win it. Couldnt happen to a nicer fella
                                                                                  Hon Dice.

Was going to make a quib of bad year to win the IPO but you'd never have left the regency with > than 12.5k after the bar tab.

One for the good guys. Kudos

Comment

WP Dice! Remember to divide by four for the purposes of spousal communications.

Presume you'll be sticking the lot on Trump anyway...

Comment

...
                                                                                      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

WTF has happened to McWilliams? Spent too much time with MMTers or something?

Every time I hear him now he's extolling the virtues of just whacking huge debts on the state and pretending that they won't need to be paid, that the money is 'free'.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                          WTF has happened to McWilliams? Spent too much time with MMTers or something?

Every time I hear him now he's extolling the virtues of just whacking huge debts on the state and pretending that they won't need to be paid, that the money is 'free'.
                                                                                          You aren't a fan of MMT? The fundamentals behind it have been pretty well established as far as I can tell., 2008 proved that massive QE wouldn't lead to inflation. Although it's not really applicable in Irelands case since we can't print our own currency.

Have you read https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deficit-Myt.../dp/1541736184 ? It addresses most of the problems that people bring up with MMT. If you haven't she has a pretty good interview with Real Vision on youtube.

Comment

Ship the first marathon.

Ridic slow even for an oul lad at 4:49 on the watch and we won't even look at the lapsed time as it wouldn't have happened at all only I had to veer off my planned 30k route to go home and have a crap. It was only after that the plan to go the distance emerged. Last 10k was an absolute hope, one tough hour.

Comment

Ship the first marathon.

Ridic slow even for an oul lad at 4:49 on the watch and we won't even look at the lapsed time as it wouldn't have happened at all only I had to veer off my planned 30k route to go home and have a crap. It was only after that the plan to go the distance emerged. Last 10k was an absolute hope, one tough hour.
                                                                                              Classic runner oversharing

Well done!
                                                                                              Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Ship the first marathon.

Classic runner oversharing

Well done! Last 10k is with your heart they say. The relief when you get over the line is just unbelievable
                                                                                                Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Ship the first marathon.

More fibre

Comment

Great stuff Tony, didn't know you were doing it.

Enjoy that buzz

Comment

Great stuff Tony, didn't know you were doing it.

Enjoy that buzz
                                                                                                      Neither did I, genuinely wasn't planned, with the miles I've been doing I did half expect to be ticking the box sometime over the winter but the plan I had in mind was a route along the Canal the whole way to Rialto (wind behind and no hills )and then down to the War memorial gardens for a swim. Finishing at home and being able to jump straight into the bath was amazing!

Comment

Dice and SP nailing the bank Holiday .WP

THIS is silly but the simplicity had me rolling.. the little ooooh did it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                          Dice and SP nailing the bank Holiday .WP

THIS is silly but the simplicity had me rolling.. the little ooooh did it for me.
                                                                                                          He's incredible that lad. Very funny guy.

Comment

Edinburgh up on university Challenge this will be tough but they should make it through

Comment

Great stuff, looking forward to seeing them do well in the next round

Comment

yqAYSaF1.jpg

Comment

Ruling yesterday by the Supreme Court not to revive a trial court ruling which allowed an extension of votes cast in Wisconsin during the primaries.

Basically the ruling would have allowed votes posted by Nov 3rd to count with 6 days to arrive but that is not allowed now. Also, that result occured with only 8 justices.

Barrett is allowed preside over cases from today and although Kauvanagh mentioned similar pending cases in Pennsylvania are different, given Pennsylvania deadlocked at 4-4 last time, it is expected it will 5-4 to prevent an extension there too.

I wonder how much impact that may have on votes cast. For context 5% of votes cast in Wisconsin primary would have been eliminated.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                                                    Ruling yesterday by the Supreme Court not to revive a trial court ruling which allowed an extension of votes cast in Wisconsin during the primaries.

Basically the ruling would have allowed votes posted by Nov 3rd to count with 6 days to arrive but that is not allowed now. Also, that result occured with only 8 justices.

Barrett is allowed preside over cases from today and although Kauvanagh mentioned similar pending cases in Pennsylvania are different, given Pennsylvania deadlocked at 4-4 last time, it is expected it will 5-4 to prevent an extension there too.

I wonder how much impact that may have on votes cast. For context 5% of votes cast in Wisconsin primary would have been eliminated.

Comment

This is the last Tuesday of campaigning and we're into the home stretch.

The Economist has Biden at 95%, 538 has him at 87% and YouGov's MRP predicts a crushing 356-182 victory for Biden.

Yet he is still only 1.52 on Betfair. The swongs are yet to come....

Comment

This is the last Tuesday of campaigning and we're into the home stretch.

The Economist has Biden at 95%, 538 has him at 87% and YouGov's MRP predicts a crushing 356-182 victory for Biden.

Yet he is still only 1.52 on Betfair. The swongs are yet to come....
                                                                                                                        Dave Wasserman is the one I'd be taking a look at RDIII.

He, along with 538, was the canary in the coalmine last time for Trump. Cook Political have been more in line with the actual campaigns in giving less weight to national and state polls and much higher weight to district polling. In 2016 Wasserman pointed out that the district polling was setting off all sorts of alarms for Clinton in the last 3 weeks. Taking the same measure this time and the advantage for Biden seems far far more stable and, if anything, some of the State polls might be underselling it.

Comes with the same caveat re: voter turnouts and election tampering but he's as bullish as I've ever seen him and this is NOT a man prone to jumping the gun.
                                                                                                                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

Dave Wasserman is the one I'd be taking a look at RDIII.

He, along with 538, was the canary in the coalmine last time for Trump. Cook Political have been more in line with the actual campaigns in giving less weight to national and state polls and much higher weight to district polling. In 2016 Wasserman pointed out that the district polling was setting off all sorts of alarms for Clinton in the last 3 weeks. Taking the same measure this time and the advantage for Biden seems far far more stable and, if anything, some of the State polls might be underselling it.

Comes with the same caveat re: voter turnouts and election tampering but he's as bullish as I've ever seen him and this is NOT a man prone to jumping the gun.
                                                                                                                          Yeah, I've been looking at his analysis (he seems fixated with Texas which tells me he thinks something momentous is happening there).

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X