X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      I'd say part of the solution is people being both cyclist and car driver so they understand both sides of the story. Like the way you mention that the personal case has made you more empathetic towards cyclists.

But this is partially about accepting current problems which isn't really the solution. Because how do you e.g. stop a kid making a stupid cycling mistake? You just can't. And there has already been I think three families have lost one of their kids due to car accidents since the start of the school year. We just can't go on like that. And the only solution is to make car driving as hard and as third class as possible. Simply because everyone benefits when people cycle, but only the driver themselves benefits when people drive.
      When I was a teenager I broke the red lights at Whitehall and a copper collared me. Said if you had been hit by THAT bus you wouldn't have a leg to stand on. That made me grin and then the did ; then said fuck off now . I could still hear him stifling a laugh as I sped off to Santry direction.

Comment

yes, sure, the easily crushed person supporting themselves on an isolated frame is the problem and not the fucker eating toast with one hand and watching oprah on their phone with the other in their two tonne vehicle is the problem. Enjoy the last days of car dominance. You will be made to feel like a leper when we inevitably take over.
        If cyclists still wear lycra in the city centre on a tuesday afternoon motorists will welcome leper status if it keep you away from us.

Nobody wants cyclists in their own cycle lanes seperated from traffic more than people who drive cars in the city regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

Yeah, some cyclists are muppets, lack of due care for surroundings. They are an endangered species due to their selfish, entitled behaviour.
          True, however the duty of care lies with car drivers.

I cycle to work everyday, and it is as if a red mist descends over a driver eyes when they see a cyclist in front of them, they think they have to pass them out as soon as possible without waiting to see if it is safe to do so. It is truly incredible sometimes.

Sure cyclists break the rules also but they have quick stopping times so can't really compare the two. Car drivers have a greater duty of care given that cyclists are more venerable road users.

There are a lot of excellent car drivers out there, problem is sometimes they don't plan their journey times properly, so when they rush they take more risks, and when that happens the chance of a serious collision goes up.

We all have a duty of care as road users, but motor vehicles users naturally have the most.
          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

I didn't drive until I was in my 30's and still prefer to walk/taxi/take public transport to where I'm going when I can but both motorists and cyclists are cunts. Most people either in a car or on a bike don't know the rules or how to cycle/drive safely. I've been clipped by cyclists or had to move out of the way, luckily havn't been hit by a car yet but it's been close.

Cyclists become what they hate from motorists when they're on the sidewalks (and you assholes love using them), not slowing down for pedestrians, weaving in and out to overtake those pesky people walking. Then jumping from road/cycle lane to sidewalk depending on the light or just not stopping for the light.

Motorists the same, not checking their shoulder when turning or slowing down when passing a cyclist. Not stopping for pedestrian crossing. Using bike lanes.

I agree with Hitch though, get cars out of cities.
            Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 23-10-20, 16:12.

Comment

I'm honestly confused about the rules when turning left when a cyclist is coming straight behind me. Last time I recall waiting for the cyclist to pass and them stopping and indicating for me to turn. It's strange that I don't know the answer to this. Whilst I don't think there's likely any difference in the stupidity of cyclists vs car drivers cyclists are taking a knife to a gun fight and we need to be careful.

On this subject, do people treat taxi drivers like young children as I do? I expect them to do random dangerous things and drive accordingly when they're around me.

Comment

My recording missed the start of the debate but from what i've seen so far Trump was the clear winner IMO

Comment

And there's no winners in that debate.

- Neither want to give people health care
                  - Cages for migrant families built and used under Obama/Biden, just used more now under Trump
                  - Trump too friendly with N. Korea, Biden would like to escalate the aggression towards them.
                  - Biden brought in the awful crime bill, Trump wanted it to be even worse

Yeah I want Biden to win but I can't cheer him on. He's awful, Trump is just a lot worse.

Comment

I cant imagine sitting down and watching 2 hours of them debate.

I took 10 mins this morning to read NYT fact https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/10...te-trump-biden

Given it's made up of predominantly "false", I feel it's a comfortable 1hr 50mins in saved time.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                      I'm honestly confused about the rules when turning left when a cyclist is coming straight behind me. Last time I recall waiting for the cyclist to pass and them stopping and indicating for me to turn. It's strange that I don't know the answer to this. Whilst I don't think there's likely any difference in the stupidity of cyclists vs car drivers cyclists are taking a knife to a gun fight and we need to be careful.

On this subject, do people treat taxi drivers like young children as I do? I expect them to do random dangerous things and drive accordingly when they're around me.
                      Yup taxis, buses and bike couriers are the worst people on the roads by far.

Comment

I'm honestly confused about the rules when turning left when a cyclist is coming straight behind me.
                        You shouldn't turn left until the cyclist has passed. Had a near miss in that spot a couple of days ago, muppet didn't even indicate

Comment

Thanks Murdrum for the Slate slow burn podcast tips. Gone through the Watergate series already and half-way through the Clinton series - great listening on my nightly sanity walks.

Find it slightly mad that I know way more about Watergate despite being (just about) a functioning adult at the time of the Lewinsky madness!
                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Re cyclists etc (it was a motorcycle in the accident last night btw) the current infrastructure is is inadequate.
                            Also the shared pedestrian/ bike lane is just dangerous.
                            I'm talking about those ones where theres no kerb and no delineated markings just a strip of tarmac with a symbol for cyclist and pedestrian on it. Theres one in Rathfarnham on the Dodder side for a few hundred meters where it's way too narrow and an accident waiting to happen if it's not happened already. Cyclist pedestrian collisions can result in death also like that lad in Phoenix park a year or two ago.

Have 2 anecdotes myself that stand out...

1. Big Junction and I have green, cyclist breaks red causing confusion as (dont know if hes going to suicide run across my path but hes actually turning left) so slow down and move to my right a little bit just in case.

Give him a brief beep and as he draws level he gives the finger directly in the window. Its slowish moving traffic and he pulls ahead and starts swerving in and out in front of me several times deliberately trying to goad. He doesn't even check if I might be close enough to hit him just decided to be a cunt for a few seconds and risk it that I would continue to drive slowly to allow for his cunt shenanigans.
                            As it happens I was fucking fuming and actually had a brief thought of just speeding up and if he swerved out then it's his look out.

Second one was close to where last night's collision happened.
                            T junction. I'm at the top of the T turning left Theres traffic on the perpendicular of the T turning right and alls good so far. Were both halfway through our respective turns and a cyclist comes from the top of T turning right at speed.
                            Booting it and in a considerable display of agility and desperate skill (aided by both drivers hitting the brakes almost simultaneously) serves around the bonnet of the first car and sliding towards me regains control and fucks off up the road which I was turning into.
                            He sort of slalomed around both of us. A quarter second either way hes in a bad way.
                            The cars behind us of course all had to brake suddenly too.

I understand cyclists taking off early before the official green too though I've heard people giving out about it.
                            Gives them a few metres to shake off the initial start up wobble.

PS
                            long post about not much teally
                            TL/DR

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                              Thanks Murdrum for the Slate slow burn podcast tips. Gone through the Watergate series already and half-way through the Clinton series - great listening on my nightly sanity walks.

Find it slightly mad that I know way more about Watergate despite being (just about) a functioning adult at the time of the Lewinsky madness!
                              That was exactly when I listened too, walking during the last 2km lockdown.

Watergate is great, I found Clinton a little salacious at times but still very good. They're a great blend of history and drama.

Comment

Anyone know if The Situation is alive?

Comment

Don’t normally do this typed of thing but very rare you see such a deserving case-
                                  this pandemics been tough on everyone sign the petition to help out some people who need a break this week

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                    Don’t normally do this typed of thing but very rare you see such a deserving case-
                                    this pandemics been tough on everyone sign the petition to help out some people who need a break this week
                                    LoL

Someone sent me that on what's app..thought they were joking!

Not much fun during Winter in any event.

Comment

Comment

Option 5 Malice
                                        Deeply creepy but otherwise typical arrested development Ayn Rand fanboi
                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                          CIA Head > Putin > Hillary > Trump

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 23-10-20, 19:44.

Comment

Putin-Trump-CIA head-Hilary is the correct answer.

Feel like we need to resurrect our quiz section now that we have reentered lockdown.

Comment

Comment

Blue Note Records: Beyond the Notes documentary on BBC 4 at 10.20pm for aficionados and neophytes alike. Ya dig.

Comment

This is just going to be mad. It's maybe going to be everywhere too where votes announced on the day are incredibly different to actual state votes.

As per here, there's about three times as many democrat votes as republican ones so far (unregistered tend to be young democrats in large proportions). And all these democrat votes aren't going to be counted on election day.
                                                    Florida will declare on E-Day. And then it'll be over.

Comment

Comment

Hopefully. The polls don't say that. Actually the recent polls seem to favour Trump winning there.

If you wish - you can double your upcoming winnings from brexit bet on Florida. I'm about to have to give you €50 for brexit, so we can say your €50 to my €100 with me taking the side of Repubs winning Florida. So I'd only win €50 due to you winning the brexit bet. If I've worked that out right? PP has both sides at less than evens, so we're both doing okay odds wise.
                                                        Booked.

So hold onto the €50 and either ship me €100 when Biden crushes The Sunshine State or else it's a push.

Comment

Ha, now I can add 'hurricane in Florida' to my list of E-Day sweats.

Comment

Comment

Yeah - thats what my numbers meant. I got confused about what way the money would flow (good job someone isn't a finance prof, woah woah). Excellent and perfect and delighted to be continuing in business with you.
                                                              The financial pleasure is all mine.

Comment

If Trump happens to luckbox this what forfit should RDIII face?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                    If Trump happens to luckbox this what forfit should RDIII face?
                                                                    The least he could do is offer to pay out on our losing bets.
                                                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

There is a certain level of irony in this post.

Comment

Comment

Spelling forfeit incorrectly probably a tad annoying to Kayroo, gonna blame the wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                            Anyone know if The Situation is alive?
                                                                            I was just thinking the same thing earlier today, come back Sitch

Comment

The left turn one is a bit of a balls for all parties but I think this post from boards sums up why in an easy to follow if ultimately dissatisfying way

Short answer: Whoever is in front.

The same debate has been had here recently. It's a bit of a weird issue. There are two pieces of law in weird conflict:

1. A vehicle wishing to cross a traffic lane, must give way to all traffic in that lane. So if a vehicle wishes to cross a cycle lane, they must yield to all bicycles in that lane and wait for the lane to be clear before crossing it.

2. A cyclist must not overtake a vehicle on the left if that vehicle is indicating left and will turn left before the cyclist can overtake safely.

This creates an interesting problem: It's illegal for the cyclist to undertake the left-signalling vehicle, but the vehicle has to wait for the cyclist to undertake before proceeding.

In practice, the cycle lane in these cases will often have a yield symbol painted at the divergence point, but I don't know if this symbol has any legal significance.

In realistic safe use, take the lane if you plan on going straight through and if in doubt about whether a vehicle is going to turn across you, assume it will and hold back and let it turn.

I witnessed one moron this morning try to hold his line against a flatbed lorry which was clearly about to turn left (it had been indicating for ages), resulting in him having to swerve left into the turn and nearly hit a car. Of course he glared at the lorry driver like it was the driver's fault. Even if it had been the driver's fault, the intelligent course of action would have been to wait behind and not try to overtake a vehicle which weighs 5 tonnes and is clearly about to turn left.
                                                                              To your other question I treat taxi drivers like wild animals for the most part, whether I'm in one or near one. Unpredictable but probably dangerous.

Comment

...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                                    Was out for a run yesterday evening and hear loud bang behind me.
                                                                                    Car and motorcycle collision at an entrance to Tescos Rathfarnham.
                                                                                    The motorcycle driver was lying about 20 feet or so from the collision spot. Lying on his back there were a few people with him and a woman just talking to him telling him not to move his neck etc. Conscious and aware and able to move his legs a bit and his hands so hopefully no spinal damage.

Car was making a right turn into Tescos and crossing path of bike from other direction.

Initially ran back as instinct to help however everything was taken care of. Felt awkward just fucking off running again so waited for the first responder. Fire truck arrived in a few minutes and fireman tells everyone to back off so resumed run guilt free.
                                                                                    I read this and just the way it was phrased made me think of a time and place a long long time ago...

30 years ago in fact.

I'm sat in a car in shopping centre car park. In the middle of Northern Ireland.

I hear loud bang behind me.

There's an explosion deep in the car park. 50 or 60 meters to the back. I jump out of the car and run towards the very visible cloud of smoke.

The driver was lying about 2 feet or so from the wrecked car. Lying on his back there were a few people with him and a woman just talking to him telling him not to move his neck etc. Conscious and aware and able to move his legs but unfortunately when he did so they both fell off at the knees.

Literally. Stringy goo, fleshy squelch right at the knee cap as the lower legs both came away from the thigh with the knee cap somewhere in between. He looked like a panda-faced black and white movie explosion caricature.

I was probably the third or fourth person on the scene. I recognised him straight away. A UDR man from the mostly Protestant estate across from my place. A street sweeper and bookie regular. Up and down the road every day. Not a threat but not a friend either.

Somebody called for a belt, to tie off his leg (or legs) . I scrambled for one but didn't wear a belt at the time. I was 18 and too skinny.

I heard a siren in the distance and decided to walk back to the car, everything was taken care of. I felt awkward just fucking off but these events were common enough and others had first sight on it. Fire truck, ambulance and police arrived in a few minutes and fireman tells everyone to back off. I could see this from the car 60 to 70 meters away.

We drove off and met a neighbour on the way out of the car park. She beckoned for us to roll down the window and asked what was going on, eager for news.

I told her what happened, what we'd just seen.

'Jesus' she said.

'Yeah' I replied.

That's not the end (things got worse for everybody involved) but it's enough to share for now.
                                                                                    Last edited by BennyHiFi; 24-10-20, 01:30.

Comment

That is horrendous. I had to step away from the computer after reading that. Those of us born in the south are so luckily to grow up and live in such a safe place, the only injury I've ever seen was sports-related.

Comment

I realise I never answered your question about my music Benny. We ran into several problems - first when we went to the studio to record the singer had spent ages practising and had come up with a performance that was very different than the demos we had worked on. The songs are some sort of pop-trip hop hybrid, but she was singing them as Celine Dion. That led to a few wasted days as she had to unlearn the Dionster. It's a good learning experience though, it was fun in the studio and I will make sure it won't happen again. She then had acting commitments & now we are locked down, so it's going to be a while. (I've actually left some more hiccups out!)

On the positive side, I decided to make my own EP which is almost finished. It's a bit of a relief to be making all the creative decisions and not be on anyone else's schedule. I've been working with sessions musicians on it which has been really cool, they've really brought the tracks to life. All going to plan the best song on it will have a violinist from Russia, a trumpeter from the States, a bassist from Jamacia and a drummer from Poland.

There's a demo here https://soundcloud.com/user-53190158.../s-ezmU4lXN4wk

Comment

I'm turning off My Bloody Valentine's last album to check this out so out better be good!

Lol... your demo is WAY better than I'd guessed. Certainly way better than my lo-fi improvised doom electronics shit.

Honestly, only a gnats hair away from properly beautiful mainstream credibility.

Sounds really great Daragh.
                                                                                          Last edited by BennyHiFi; 24-10-20, 01:42.

Comment

@HJ

Nice upbeat tune that, kind of conjures up an image of nature going about its business.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                                                              I'm turning off My Bloody Valentine's last album to check this out so out better be good!

Lol... your demo is WAY better than I'd guessed. Certainly way better than my lo-fi improvised doom electronics shit.

Honestly, only a gnats hair away from properly beautiful mainstream credibility.

Sounds really great Daragh.
                                                                                              Thanks, Benny, that's great to hear. Hopefully, the other tracks turn out as well!

Comment

Really nice track!

Comment

Sounds great HJ. Looking forward to hearing more!

Comment

4 eps in to that Slate slow burn Watergate podcast. Brilliant stuff. Cheers lads.
                                                                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                      I realise I never answered your question about my music Benny. We ran into several problems - first when we went to the studio to record the singer had spent ages practising and had come up with a performance that was very different than the demos we had worked on. The songs are some sort of pop-trip hop hybrid, but she was singing them as Celine Dion. That led to a few wasted days as she had to unlearn the Dionster. It's a good learning experience though, it was fun in the studio and I will make sure it won't happen again. She then had acting commitments & now we are locked down, so it's going to be a while. (I've actually left some more hiccups out!)

On the positive side, I decided to make my own EP which is almost finished. It's a bit of a relief to be making all the creative decisions and not be on anyone else's schedule. I've been working with sessions musicians on it which has been really cool, they've really brought the tracks to life. All going to plan the best song on it will have a violinist from Russia, a trumpeter from the States, a bassist from Jamacia and a drummer from Poland.

I expected Van to jump in in the first 30 seconds ! that's a compliment.
                                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

That's brilliant HJ, really enjoyable listen, dinekes is right, has a real soundtrack to nature feel. Felt like listening to springtime, the optimism of it.

Keep it up.
                                                                                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Could be played over koyaanisqatsi

Comment

This made me laugh:

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

That's really good.
                                                                                                              The bridge puts me in mind of Never be enough on the greatest showman
                                                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Poor decision to reverse that try IMO from what I'm seeing.

Comment

Surely that one was a knock on right at the start when Dorris took it out of the ruck and no one said a word

Meh! maybe you could say they were both grappling for it and it came loose but it looked to me like Dorris was coin control.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                    Surely that one was a knock on right at the start when Dorris took it out of the ruck and no one said a word

Meh! maybe you could say they were both grappling for it and it came loose but it looked to me like Dorris was coin control.
                                                                                                                    Looked like it came off his knee

Comment

Pretty shit game tbf

Comment

Nice bit of setting themselves up for heartbreak at the death there

Comment

Decent win but sloppy to concede last try. Better tempo and impetus to attack with ball hand. France will be an altogether different prospect. England will easily make the BP and score difference in Rome.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X