This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Western_Sean View Post

You'd have to assume a lack of understanding of what the available data means on the part of some market participants. Or perhaps a motivation other than monetary gain?
    My own very unsupported thoughts is less misunderstanding on the part of participants and more fear that polling is "wrong" again.

We all know low probability events happen all the time but Trump & Brexit occurred in relative close proximity to one another having been thought highly unlikely by pollsters.

Less about misunderstanding and more about lack of trust in the data imo.

Comment

I hate how much I'd love a round of golf now. At least it'd be good value as I'd probably get 200 seeing as the last one is over a decade ago and broke my arm since.

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
      Perhaps some people in more senior roles than me involved in hiring or even Richie might help me out with something.

What is the long term mindset of companies with regards to working from home.

Has this event made it a more acceptable long term option or do companies expect people back in the office some time in late 2021 to early 2022 as normal.

I have some feedback from companies but not quite sure it's representative of the broader view.
      I think a lot of companies/people believe it is now possible where they didn't before. Or at least a blend.
      Some people will still have the mindset that people need to be in an office (some jobs need it, some don't) whereas some companies have already committed to working from home as being the permanent standard (E.G. dropbox). I'm interested in seeing what the government are going to do re working from home, all i saw is some commitment to it and "legally" asking to work from home which means nothing?

Our company was surprised that it works just as well but when given the chance had people back in the office as fast as they could, for a month or so, then back at home again when things got worse.
      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 22-10-20, 12:54.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
          I hate how much I'd love a round of golf now. At least it'd be good value as I'd probably get 200 seeing as the last one is over a decade ago and broke my arm since.

I think a lot of companies/people believe it is now possible where they didn't before. Or at least a blend.
          Some people will still have the mindset that people need to be in an office (some jobs need it, some don't) whereas some companies have already committed to working from home as being the permanent standard (E.G. dropbox). I'm interested in seeing what the government are going to do re working from home, all i saw is some commitment to it and "legally" asking to work from home which means nothing?

Our company was surprised that it works just as well but when given the chance had people back in the office as fast as they could, for a month or so, then back at home again.
          We are very small, approximately 40 total spread over 4-5 locations so the the company was agile enough that we didn't miss a beat in many respects. We shut the week before schools did and I've been home ever since.

I meet the CEO most mornings casually as we get a coffee in the same place but we've officially met twice.
          Once in April to say we're back Jan 2021 and once in July to say possibly Jan 2022.
          A couple of people have gone into the office periodically but no pressure whatsoever to do so.

I like where I live and the lifestyle I have but I would like to have the opportunity for roles I feel I could do remotely.
          Perhaps even 1-2 days a week in the office but the feedback I've received definitely indicates a rush to get back to an office asap.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I think this is what we hope it is. Its definitely not people misreading numbers, as to quote our hero "there are fine numbers people on both sides" but rather there is more believe that the numbers could be wrong on one side, allowing them more scope for thinking Trump will come good.

I'm a bit fearful though that we're missing something else. The markets are big enough now - at least a billion matched across all books? - for there to be some real information out there influencing the price on both sides. So what are we missing on the other side. Are there maybe private polls that are leaking? There's definitely a lot of private polls being done for loads of reasons, so maybe these are more sophisticated than the public polls and are showing something different?
            Trump has super powers.
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I'm a bit fearful though that we're missing something else. The markets are big enough now - at least a billion matched across all books? - for there to be some real information out there influencing the price on both sides. So what are we missing on the other side. Are there maybe private polls that are leaking? There's definitely a lot of private polls being done for loads of reasons, so maybe these are more sophisticated than the public polls and are showing something different?
              I'm weary of trades where all the publically available data lines up, but size is pushing the market the opposite way. Usually a sign I've missed something.

It's not like no one has heard of 538 or the market can't read polls.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Didn't think it was Romans Chelsea that went all foreign,
                  had thought it had been done pre takeover.
                  Are you fact checking me bro

I think all bar the last one are false . Maybe

Comment

Comment

Lads sit back and enjoy and let the toaster do the work. There is a landslide coming . The sheer weight of numbers already are significant His base may shoot up the place , this is a worry . I bet Dennys weird female friend will be giving him a wide berth until the rocking stops .

Comment

Had the parent-teacher meeting yesterday for the youngest (well, and the eldest, but that wasn't notable). She was saying that as the kid is left-handed he's struggling a bit with forming letters and drawing because his wrist isn't too strong. Apparently a common issue with left-handers. I was conscious that during the group meeting with the teacher some poor fecker had asked is there any homework, to which she responded quite indignantly that why don't we concentrate on being parents while she'll concentrate on being the teacher. A very reasonable point, and we never heard from that guy again, in fact he might have left the country.

So to win brownie points during the PT meeting, I started with 'now I know you mentioned about homework before, so I'm not talking about encroaching on that [she nods approvingly with a look of: thats right you better not try to teach my kids, on her. So I'm feeling confident now.], but is there maybe an app we could use to help make him more familiar with writing and drawing with his left hand? AN APP?, she says, AN APP? [oh ffs]. "Well I'm not sure there's an APP, but why don't you try asking him to write and draw with his own hand and a crayon?".

Man, she's great. The fire, the spunk, the leave no prisoners approach to teaching. I slunk away anyway muttering something about apps being indeed a silly idea.
                        I'm a leftie . The only issue writing is the hand smudging . Weak wrist ,? Im no Rudy Julio but never had a weak wrist . That's a strange one

Comment

Fellow leftie here, hand smudging is indeed a fucking pain in the hole.
                          Perhaps he is contorting his hand to avoid it causing the writing issues?
                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                            No he definitely has it on his todger

We still talking Rudy here ?

Comment

Well you should write from right to left like the Japanese do. Problem sorted!

No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Another leftie here, so is son number 1.ive always avoided smudging by writing from underneath, he went the opposite way and writes from over the top.

Comment

Tiger Roll off in a pipe-opener flat race in Navan in 2 mins

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Another leftie here, so is son number 1.ive always avoided smudging by writing from underneath, he went the opposite way and writes from over the top.
                                      Youngest is genuinely ambidextruous (got it confirmed) but prefers to write left-handed and draw right-handed (WTF).
                                      Will throw depending what side she has picked up\caught from. Massively funking getting her into cricket so she can start an over left-handed and then freak out the batter by switching to right.

Had a lot of very freaky mirror writing shit when she started school but again that's quite standard

Comment

Comment

Missed that, will have a punt on Dragon Roll in the last instead

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

"The" Tiger Roll? wow, I wonder if he feels it all went pete tong at some point to be racing on a cold night in navan, or he's just happy to be out doing his thing at a time when most horses his age are ending up in larry goodman factories.
                                              The plan for next 6 months will to be to get him to Aintree for another crack. This would have been step 1.

Comment

Anti-maskers on Grafton St

Comment

They caused a bit of havoc down at the port - At least two of my AM deliveries for tomorrow are delayed as the hauliers couldn't get into the port to get the containers

I'd have been happy if the Guards fucked them all into the Liffey and the tide took them out to sea.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                    They caused a bit of havoc down at the port - At least two of my AM deliveries for tomorrow are delayed as the hauliers couldn't get into the port to get the containers

I'd have been happy if the Guards fucked them all into the Liffey and the tide took them out to sea.
                                                    Not sure what they can be charged with though. I'd assume some of them were breaking the 5km rule.

Comment

Unreal restraint there to not let loose with the batons- another downside of smartphones- camera everywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Youngest is genuinely ambidextruous (got it confirmed) but prefers to write left-handed and draw right-handed (WTF).
                                                        Will throw depending what side she has picked up\caught from. Massively funking getting her into cricket so she can start an over left-handed and then freak out the batter by switching to right.

Had a lot of very freaky mirror writing shit when she started school but again that's quite standard
                                                        Mine is weird in that regard also. Can throw with both but favors right, can kick with both but favors left. Useful skills to have but if the weaker side isn't worked on it tends to gradually get worse.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Not sure what they can be charged with though. I'd assume some of them were breaking the 5km rule.
                                                          Yeah, probably not a lot they can charge them with, although there is proably some kind of public order offence that they can use if they have to.

Comment

A lot of it is just however you learn when you're young. I'm left handed but played golf right handed, football with my right foot, tennis left handed. Putted better left handed though.

Comment

4/7 gone already and generally 1/2 or shorter as reality dawns of the scale of the incoming defeat. Going to be fun watching Biden go to 1.1 over the next 12 days.

6 million Americans voted yesterday.
                                                              the 1/2 nearly all gone and Trump is north of 3.0 now....

Comment

Wifey just came back with an occulus quest machine. All the directors were given one for presentations. They get to keep them so it came straight home for us to play with

Comment

henry-gibson.jpg

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Alt-Shite vs the guards.
                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                      Wifey just came back with an occulus quest machine. All the directors were given one for presentations. They get to keep them so it came straight home for us to play with
                                                                      PM hitch for his user account and pass?

Comment

Is it pronounced Enfet or Neffet?
                                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                          Is it pronounced Enfet or Neffet?
                                                                          Neffet is winning the common usage poll, though I prefer n-phet.

Comment

Skip first minute.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

@ Raoul, Creedon played a bit of Kinky Friedman earlier. He told a funny tale about a time he met him.

Kinky was kicked out of some studio or something for lighting up a cigar. John joined him. He asked him was it a Cuban.

'Yes, I'm not supporting their economy though, I'm burning their fields'

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                Looks like being some decent battles in the gloop at Navan today between Foley & Keane
                                                                                5/7 winners and one forecast Easy game

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

5/7 winners and one forecast Easy game

€100 win on each of their rides today yielded a €1k profit

Comment

the 1/2 nearly all gone and Trump is north of 3.0 now....
                                                                                    There is rumours going around legal circles that Woulfe has had a full on breakdown.

Comment

If you were Trump and wanted to lose the election. What would you do ? Probably exactly as he has done nearly every hour since becoming president, however he's really copper fastened it this last month. WP to all who took the value .

I guess I'm not on drugs after all .

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

€100 win on each of their rides today yielded a €1k profit
                                                                                        Probably has peaked TBH, the closer it is the easier it is for them to pick up the better spates and the more the market will price it in, once it looks like Keane is out of reach those spares will become harder to get.

perming the trebles and upwards a lot more profitable and fun than trying to squeeze a half a point margin out of Trumps demise
                                                                                        Last edited by Strewelpeter; 22-10-20, 22:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                          There is rumours going around legal circles that Woulfe has had a full on breakdown.
                                                                                          You heard it here first... Don't know much about the man but its difficult to raise even the level of sympathy I found for big Phil.
                                                                                          Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                          Could be that he is genuinely having a complete breakdown unable to face the reality that having slithered all the way up the greasy pole into the cushiest number a lad like him could ever hope for he went and fucked it up before he even got started. Probably is delusional enough to believe that he is the victim of a terrible injustice and is 'hoping against hope' that if he brazens it out for long enough everyone will forget about it.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                            Unreal restraint there to not let loose with the batons- another downside of smartphones- camera everywhere

Comment

Trumps lying.

But he's coming across a hell of a lot better than he has previously.

Much better performance so far.
                                                                                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                Trumps lying.

I wasn't masochistic enough to stay up for this, reading the coverage though it seems like a no-score draw - good for Biden, bad for Trump.

Now onto the important news of the day: Rudy Giuliani's movie debut.

Comment

Now onto the important news of the day: Rudy Giuliani's movie debut.
                                                                                                  oh God, it's worse than I thought

Comment

Did someone share the link to the White Noise documentary recently or was it just the excerpt video from YouTube.

I read a good piece on Lauren Southern the alt right activist in The Atlantic.

Comment

In fairness she dont look 15, more 27 .poor Rudy trying to wake up the dead .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                        In fairness she dont look 15, more 27 .poor Rudy trying to wake up the dead .
                                                                                                        loved
                                                                                                        1. Rudy's unsettling 'charm' being deployed on a woman easily young enough to be his grand-daughter
                                                                                                        2. Rudy's eagerness to get rid of the sound guy so he could be alone with this young lady
                                                                                                        3. the line "I feel just like Melania!"
                                                                                                        the bedroom scene is just deeply creepy. This will be all people ever remember about America's Mayor.

Comment

Watched the debate during breakfast and I must say I really enjoyed it. I thought Trump was really good and benefited from not being able to interminably waffle, the format actually helped him. My favourite part was the genuine anger in Biden's face when talking about the 500+ separated immigrant children whose parents can't be found.

A draw by my reckoning.

Comment

Was out for a run yesterday evening and hear loud bang behind me.
                                                                                                            Car and motorcycle collision at an entrance to Tescos Rathfarnham.
                                                                                                            The motorcycle driver was lying about 20 feet or so from the collision spot. Lying on his back there were a few people with him and a woman just talking to him telling him not to move his neck etc. Conscious and aware and able to move his legs a bit and his hands so hopefully no spinal damage.

Car was making a right turn into Tescos and crossing path of bike from other direction.

Initially ran back as instinct to help however everything was taken care of. Felt awkward just fucking off running again so waited for the first responder. Fire truck arrived in a few minutes and fireman tells everyone to back off so resumed run guilt free.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                                                              Was out for a run yesterday evening and hear loud bang behind me.
                                                                                                              Car and motorcycle collision at an entrance to Tescos Rathfarnham.
                                                                                                              The motorcycle driver was lying about 20 feet or so from the collision spot. Lying on his back there were a few people with him and a woman just talking to him telling him not to move his neck etc. Conscious and aware and able to move his legs a bit and his hands so hopefully no spinal damage.

Car was making a right turn into Tescos and crossing path of bike from other direction.

Initially ran back as instinct to help however everything was taken care of. Felt awkward just fucking off running again so waited for the first responder. Fire truck arrived in a few minutes and fireman tells everyone to back off so resumed run guilt free.
                                                                                                              Yeah, some car drivers are Muppets, lack of due care for surroundings. Cyclists are an endangered species from these.
                                                                                                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                                Trumps lying.

Difference between adderall and ritalin!

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                                  Watched the debate during breakfast and I must say I really enjoyed it. I thought Trump was really good and benefited from not being able to interminably waffle, the format actually helped him. My favourite part was the genuine anger in Biden's face when talking about the 500+ separated immigrant children whose parents can't be found.

A draw by my reckoning.
                                                                                                                  He did a lot better.
                                                                                                                  However, the "good" here should be pretty damning

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

Neither party is without blame. But the "all drivers are bad" or "all cyclists are bad" is just a terrible place for the conversation to happen. 1's and 0's does not reflect the truth of the situation. No doubt cyclists are in greater danger, but it's not always the case that the driver is the big bad wolf.

As a driver myself, I am very very conscious of cyclists. It probably stems back to my time in DCU when one of the guys was essentially destroyed for life by a lorry. I've had several near misses and in each case I lay the blame entirely at the door of the cyclist. Two stick in my mind

1. Cyclist, headphones in, streaming down the road in the cycle lane and just overtakes another cyclist (out into the path of traffic i.e. me) without so much as a glance over their shoulder. Were I not keeping a close eye he'd have been under my wheel.

2. Another, I've a green light and proceed but a cyclist didn't believe that the red light on the other lane of traffic at the junction applied to him. Inches away from his death.

There are doubtless many more examples of drivers being equally or far more culpable in situations involving cyclists. There is also little doubt that the infrastructure needs to be dramatically improved to cater for cyclists.
                                                                                                                          ALSO . Not ALL muppets are BAD. Animal for example .

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X