This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
    Ah the good ol days when parody was parody..
    Not a single part of that interview was a parody.
    It was hilarious, but it was a very real and public meltdown.

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
    Could be the past tense of string: 'I strang him up in the basement, before raping , killing, and having him for dinner'.
    Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
    ​​​​​​CC's Wild Bill-esque usage is corect.
    It's the past tense of string.
    Lads, you must of went to the same school as RD's nippers. The past tense of string is strung.
    'I strung him up in the basement...'

Comment

Is he coming out?

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
        I'm going to try and shop local (so far as possible) for Christmas gifts this year, so if anyone has come across any decent websites with Irish made stuff that they would recommend I'd appreciate hearing about it.

I've mentioned this crowd https://www.carveon.com/ before that do nice leather stuff that might be of interest for instance
        A girl I train with has a store in Waterford city that only stocks Irish made products: https://www.bebhinn.ie/

She has some really nice merino knitwear, fantastic quality stuff. I bought the wife(sounds weird) some pieces as a wedding gift.

Even if you drop her a message on FB/Instagram she'll get back to you if you have any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Lads, you must of went to the same school as RD's nippers. The past tense of string is strung.
          I didnt link the iactusl nterview but I know what you are saying . .

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

A girl I train with has a store in Waterford city that only stocks Irish made products: https://www.bebhinn.ie/

She has some really nice merino knitwear, fantastic quality stuff. I bought the wife(sounds weird) some pieces as a wedding gift.

Even if you drop her a message on FB/Instagram she'll get back to you if you have any questions.
            Brave man buying the wife clothes .

I have never done this (well at least being told exactly what I am buying) and the mere suggestion would be greeted with incredulity. You must be one of them metrosexual lads.
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I have never done this (well at least being told exactly what I am buying) and the mere suggestion would be greeted with incredulity. You must be one of them metrosexual lads.
              Hard to make a balls of a scarf in fairness!

Comment

This post just proves how far behind the times you actually are.

The current sign of metrosexuality is not a willingness to purchase clothes for your partner, it's a willingness to wear them too.

This was actually a bit of a Homer & Marge Simpson bowling ball situation.
                I bought her a hat and scarf knowing that she'll get fed up of them soon and then they're mine.

Comment

Hard to make a balls of a scarf in fairness!
                  In addition to not knowing anything about the current state of female fashion, I am also colour blind. This induces a certain scepticism in females as to my knowledge in this area.

I usually try to cover it up by using random adjectives - "that's a very flamboyant dress", "well now, that's an audacious skirt" etc

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

It's not what I use but have have come across it
                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Is he coming out?

he has form
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Reading up on the GOP and the growing influence of the conservative element, leading to outright takeover with Reagan and increased rightward drift ever since.

Two interesting (well to me!) things:
                        1. these lunatics (like, they were convinced Eisenhower was a lifelong Communist )were formative in the conservative takeover of the GOP and also somewhat explain the tendency of the right to think in terms of enemies and conspiracies
                        2. the real headbangers in the conservative movement probably did not come from the places that we would think - they grew out of Orange County, Califormia. Hence, Reagan and mad shit like this today
                        carry on

Comment

I'm going to try and shop local (so far as possible) for Christmas gifts this year, so if anyone has come across any decent websites with Irish made stuff that they would recommend I'd appreciate hearing about it.

I've mentioned this crowd https://www.carveon.com/ before that do nice leather stuff that might be of interest for instance
                          I was thinking about putting together a few of my landscape/long exposures up online for prints/canvas if anybody is interested in possibly picking one up drop me a line.
                          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Amazon prime day today apparently- gobshites slobbering over shoddy tat (often fake shoddy tat)
                            Sad

Comment

On a poker related note for those of you who know Smidge he took down an event online last night for €80,000 recap is on PokerNews

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                On a poker related note for those of you who know Smidge he took down an event online last night for €80,000 recap is on PokerNews
                                One of the nicest guys on the poker scene. Always like to see Smidge get a result.

Comment

This is a great use of viz - shows how the spread of covid in the US has been shaped by politics. Watch the blue turn red.

Comment

The Cabin, Bert Kresicher new Netflix show is very good, only seen the first one but with Diaz as a guest you know its going to be good.
                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Reading up on the GOP and the growing influence of the conservative element, leading to outright takeover with Reagan and increased rightward drift ever since.

Two interesting (well to me!) things:
                                      1. these lunatics (like, they were convinced Eisenhower was a lifelong Communist )were formative in the conservative takeover of the GOP and also somewhat explain the tendency of the right to think in terms of enemies and conspiracies
                                      2. the real headbangers in the conservative movement probably did not come from the places that we would think - they grew out of Orange County, Califormia. Hence, Reagan and mad shit like this today
                                      carry on
                                      The evolution of the Republican's since Nixon has been quite something. IMO they learned in 80 that putting an actor up to play a convincing role in the media was all that was required to succeed and that they became an empty vessel for whatever outlier doctrine that could be used as cover to attain executive power and be employed to bleed the country dry enriching their backers in all the myriad ways. There is no core value other than wrap the flag around you and stand a cross in front of you, add in a few platitudes about gay marriage and abortion and literally anyone can use the GOP.
                                      It was hard to imagine that they could have taken that further than they did with Cheney's mob raping the country and exercising total control of government while W retired in office but then came Trump and the entire raison d'etre of the executive was turned into being a cash cow for the Russian banks that own Trump.
                                      The damage that was done at each step has increased and the only thing that might even start to make them think before the next time they sell themselves to the lowest bidder again is abject humiliation at the polls followed by a long spell in prison along with the destruction of Trump family and corporate entities.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Don't let kayroo hear you point out the very true factoid that its much harder to vote in Ireland than it is in the US. They're voting a month before the election. Its a pretty sweet deal. I'd imagine - hopefully - that this is maybe one of those first day queues.

Although I don't get why they can't just have more boxes and just stop being pricks. Hopefully they tar and feather whatever republitard is doing this when they get into power.
                                          You're wrong. It's actually staggering how badly wrong you are and yet you persist in stating that it's easier to vote in a country where there is active voter suppression than here. And you've done it all while using a video of a 5+ hour queue as some sort of proof.

Honestly Hitch, stop. Is it just for the attention? Do you crave the heat you get from it? You are wrong on this. Even the Economist's Intelligence Unit rates Ireland higher than the US in electoral process and political participation. The bare objective facts do not support you. It's remarkable that you can be both so wrong and so insistent about it.
                                          You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                          World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                            The evolution of the Republican's since Nixon has been quite something.
                                            It's easy to point to Nixon as some kind of cartoon baddie but he was actually far to the left of the conservatives. In reality, he didn't give two shits about domestic policy so was willing to make whatever promises he had to in order to win.

Nixon wouldn't get within an asses roar of the GOP nomination these days. Not on questions of character but rather because he'd be seen as way too liberal.

Comment

On a somewhat related note, there is a very strange dynamic in the Betfair presidential market these days.

Say the day starts with Biden 1.4\Trump 3.25. Polls will come out throughout the day, all uniformly good for Biden and pointing to an easy win on E-Day.
                                              Then Trump does a rally, or a video, or whatever - and in the US evening, Trump tightens up and Biden slides.
                                              Then that reverses in the European daytime.

It seems as blindly obvious to me as 'Americans backing Trump, Europeans backing Biden'.

Comment

rte cutting off pearse.
                                                They won't be happy with that.

Comment

Comment

Comment

I'm not wrong.

Its a favourite past time of Irish folk to point at Americans and laugh going 'look at those idiots'.
                                                      YOU POINTED TO THEM. NOBODY ELSE. Stop saying anyone brought the US into this other than you. Your first post about this was literally referring to the US voting system.

The only American on that thread - a prof from Galway who is frequently interviewed on RTE about US politics said 'yep, its mad how backward Ireland is by contrast in terms of ease of voting'. And do you know why - its because he isn't basing his knowledge, like you, on single anecdotes, but on actually having lived there. Actually his main job for RTE is correctly some of the weirder misperceptions of Irish people about American politics (despite himself being liberal). Most states have easy postal voting. You are reacting based on one video. We should shovel the shit out of our own house first before getting into the nonsense about other states. And yes there are many attempts to disenfranchise voters in the US and luckily their courts are good so far at policing that.
                                                      First off, once again, I am not reacting based on one video. I wasn't reacting to it at all - you were.

Nor am I basing my knowledge on single anecdotes. I am basing my knowledge on the research done by the Brennan Centre for Justice and the Economists Intelligence Unit, among other things. But please, continue to make assumptions about where I base my views. Just adds to the stack of wrong you are building up.

Should Ireland have postal voting? Yes. Does the lack of it mean the US system is better? Nope. You haven't actually made a convincing (or any) argument at all. You just keep saying things like "they get to vote for a month" or "they have postal votes" but neither of those things mean voting is easier overall in the US. And the enormous disenfranchisement of people over there as well as open, intentional and directed voter suppression means that it is not, as a whole, easier to vote in the US than here.

Now - to finalise:

1. Stop saying other people brought the US into this. You did. It was literally how this started.
                                                      2. If you want to make this argument then show me the evidence supporting it.
                                                      3. Just saying the same thing over and over isn't an argument - it's an attempt to win through badgering.
                                                      4. If you want to intelligently discuss this, and there's no evidence of that so far, have a read of this assessment of electoral reforms in the US currently before state legislatures. There are efforts being made to make the US voting system more open and transparent. But your continual suggestion that its simpler and easier to vote in the US than here is just so plainly wrong I don't know where to start.

You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

oh class. Bert's got to be the funniest person out there at the moment. the way he told that famous russian story, my god.
                                                        You do know himself and Burr have a regular podcast?

It's not as good as Burr's solo one, but worth a spin. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAp...zmei84WNR4ptgA

Comment

Noticed that!
                                                          Happening again today. Weird that it seems completely divorced from actual data and\or newsflow.

Comment

It's easy to point to Nixon as some kind of cartoon baddie but he was actually far to the left of the conservatives. In reality, he didn't give two shits about domestic policy so was willing to make whatever promises he had to in order to win.

Nixon wouldn't get within an asses roar of the GOP nomination these days. Not on questions of character but rather because he'd be seen as way too liberal.
                                                            Did I mention that Slate podcast in the past: https://slate.com/podcasts/slow-burn/s1/watergate

Season 1 on Watergate, Season 2 on Clinton/Lewinsky and Season 3-randomly- on Tupac/Biggie

They're all quite good.

I'm finishing off one of Bernstein/Woodwards(Washington Post) books on Watergate.

Easy to forget how dominate Nixon was at the time. McGovern was clearly no opposition but Nixon won over 60% of the popular vote.
                                                            Also, how much of a near-miss was Agnew? Gerald Ford is portrayed like Keifer Sutherland in Designated Survivor

Comment

Comment

Comment

Lazare I enjoyed that Teskey brothers tune, not what or who I imagined from just listening.

Comment

This looks brilliant: https://twitter.com/lukeaaronmoore/s...137400832?s=20

(Film about Jack Charlton)

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                      Lazare I enjoyed that Teskey brothers tune, not what or who I imagined from just listening.
                                                                      Mad isn't it. Was taken aback when I looked them up.

Superb tune.
                                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Why do barristers wear those black gowns and wigs ,? Now that I have Kayroo in our midst ? Engerlish thing ?

Comment

Was listening to a voxpop outside that Florida rally.

Reporter asked questions about masks, why weren't they wearing them etc. The usual pig ignorant nonsense replies.

He asked a great question though. 'If president Trump tonight said he would like you to wear a mask would you?'

They all said yes, that they would.

He has the power to save lives, and possibly grow support. You'd imagine the latter would spur him to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Did I mention that Slate podcast in the past: https://slate.com/podcasts/slow-burn/s1/watergate

Season 1 on Watergate, Season 2 on Clinton/Lewinsky and Season 3-randomly- on Tupac/Biggie

They're all quite good.

I'm finishing off one of Bernstein/Woodwards(Washington Post) books on Watergate.

Easy to forget how dominate Nixon was at the time. McGovern was clearly no opposition but Nixon won over 60% of the popular vote.
                                                                            Also, how much of a near-miss was Agnew? Gerald Ford is portrayed like Keifer Sutherland in Designated Survivor
                                                                            Found all the seasons of Slow Burn to be excellent listens, have the 4th season on the back burner it's about David Duke should be interesting.

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                            Was listening to a voxpop outside that Florida rally.

Reporter asked questions about masks, why weren't they wearing them etc. The usual pig ignorant nonsense replies.

He asked a great question though. 'If president Trump tonight said he would like you to wear a mask would you?'

They all said yes, that they would.

He has the power to save lives, and possibly grow support. You'd imagine the latter would spur him to do it.
                                                                            Just finished watching Alex Gibneys new documentary about the Trump administration's response to Covid 19.

Comment

Looking forward to that film about Jack.
                                                                              Great memories, was a young lad working in Aer Lingus at the time of Italia 90. The social life was buzzing then just as routine but it was like Carnivale that Summer.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post

Found all the seasons of Slow Burn to be excellent listens, have the 4th season on the back burner it's about David Duke should be interesting.

Just finished watching Alex Gibneys new documentary about the Trump administration's response to Covid 19.

Oh that looks good. Where is that available?

Comment

Wonder why Woulfe keeps dodging the meeting with the Chief Justice?

Also on that Friday, three members of the Supreme Court met Mr Justice Woulfe to discuss with him what should happen next in relation to the informal resolution of the controversy.

Although neither Mr Justice Woulfe nor any other member of the court has issued any statement about the matter, it was widely reported that Mr Justice Woulfe was very surprised by what was conveyed to him when he met the other judges on that Friday
                                                                                  Very little to do with Covid snafu and more to do with separation of powers, or lack of, I would guess.

Quite the whiff coming off the whole affair.
                                                                                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                                    Same here! Really enjoyed it

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                      Why do barristers wear those black gowns and wigs ,? Now that I have Kayroo in our midst ? Engerlish thing ?
                                                                                      The robes thing was originally a sign of status amongst educated classes but was gradually discontinued amongst academics, clergy etc.

They were generally colourful until the death of King Charles II in 1835 at which time the English bar entered a period of mourning and adopted black, apparently they forgot to stop.

The wigs are variously believed to be either a practical device to conceal problems like head lice in a time when personal hygiene wasn't great or an attempt to conceal people's identities from the unscrupulous victims of justice, take your pick.

There are all sorts of other oddities embedded in court attire such as the violins/triangular piece of cloth but these days much of the formality had been eased, they even allow solicitors onto the bench, lord preserve us.

Comment

Also this is 8 hours of greatness . There is also a documentary called max Richter sleep which discusses the project. God I would have loved to attend. Such a great event.

https://youtu.be/4NfuQZVEZKM

Comment

This is a great use of viz - shows how the spread of covid in the US has been shaped by politics. Watch the blue turn red.
                                                                                          I think a different variable is the cause of that correlation, namely income. Studies have shown that there's a correlational between Covid and socioeconomic status. That list of states with high numbers per million of Covid approximates closely enough a list of poorest states. And poorer states are more likely to be Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Same here! Really enjoyed it
                                                                                            Got a Ray LaMontagne vibe from the singer . Liked some of their other tracks better . Nice tight blusey outfit . Added to me spotifies.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                              Also this is 8 hours of greatness . There is also a documentary called max Richter sleep which discusses the project. God I would have loved to attend. Such a great event.

https://youtu.be/4NfuQZVEZKM
                                                                                              I use it regularly leaving it playing overnight as a very effective alternative to popping a sleeper when I feel I might need one.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

I think a different variable is the cause of that correlation, namely income. Studies have shown that there's a correlational between Covid and socioeconomic status. That list of states with high numbers per million of Covid approximates closely enough a list of poorest states. And poorer states are more likely to be Republican.
                                                                                                And it's rich connected urban (blue) areas that get it first.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                  Amazon prime day today apparently- gobshites slobbering over shoddy tat (often fake shoddy tat)
                                                                                                  Sad
                                                                                                  SP, are the Garmin watches any use for swimming?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

SP, are the Garmin watches any use for swimming?
                                                                                                    Yeah, the newer version of the 235 will do lap and stroke counts in the pool and all the swolf score stuff.

Comment

His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

And to follow Trump's covid 'advice'

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

And it's rich connected urban (blue) areas that get it first.
                                                                                                          Because they have populations that travel more: they're more connected to the wider world.

Comment

Yeah it's confounding variables.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Yeah, the newer version of the 235 will do lap and stroke counts in the pool and all the swolf score stuff.
                                                                                                              Disappointed you didnt use the word 'swimmingly'

Comment

Comment

So the kids finally off to bed , you flop on the sofa staring at the TV , 20 minutes pass until you realise you are watching Teen Titans . I'll turn it off in a minute .

Comment

Hitch doing well to be at the level of having twitter trolls/dissenters

Seems well adjusted

Comment

...

Comment

I like that Hitch is now a fervent advocate for The American Way. My work here is done.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                                                                                          That's a good use of the hearing.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X