This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
    Biggest causes of Covid? SF, alcohol, and Trump?
    Anything else you hate SP?
    Only hate two of those
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
      Anyone here manage to get the flu vaccine yet? Phoned my GP yesterday, and they didn't think they'd have any 'till next week. No panic about it, but just wondering if there's general short supply.
      After you mentioned it back at srart of Sept i booked it with boots and got it last week, oct 1. First time ever getting it.

Up at 4.30 this morning for a 7am angio appointment in Galway this morning. Of the 4 grafts i got 8 years ago, 2 are fine, doing a great job, the other 2 not so much, but the important ones ore OK...whatever that means...lol

This too shall pass.

Comment

Last NCT I had had 1 fail for "corroded fuel line"..
        bit of rust basically.
        Brought it to my mechanic and he had it up on the ramp working out the price (€150 total)..seemed teasonable given he would have to drop the tank to get at it.
        I noticed the left rear swaybar link was broken and asked him would he include the labour for that in the €150 plus cost of part. He agreed and ended up still doing it all for €150 total so happy enough.
        How did the NCT miss a swaybar link fully broken though, surely thats a fairly basic safety failure.

NCT due now but deferred to January.

Have a windsreen washer nozzle leak so the rain is getting in through there and dripping on to the spark plugs and causing a hard start.(had to get a jump today)
        Temporary fix in place and bought some sealant.
        Not fully confident on it yet though, need good daylight to tackle it. Theres a finicky little clip to push in (from under the bonnet) that releases the nozzle but its usually getting these things back in place properly thats the issue.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

whats the potential issue they are checking - do grafts reduce in effectiveness over time and need to be redone?
            Roughly 25% fail, when they become ineffective they like to stent, seemingly, one of mine would be very difficult...whatever that means ! ( i asked him...still none the wiser) I would take a fist of stents in the morning over another bypass.

A symptom based therepy i thjnk he said...feel fine, no tightness/shortness....no treatment required. I have a lot of "collateral's", where an artery/vein met resistance and pushed through another route, making its own bypass, sometimes actually reversing the direction of flow.
            This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
              Last NCT I had had 1 fail for "corroded fuel line"..
              bit of rust basically.
              Brought it to my mechanic and he had it up on the ramp working out the price (€150 total)..seemed teasonable given he would have to drop the tank to get at it.
              I noticed the left rear swaybar link was broken and asked him would he include the labour for that in the €150 plus cost of part. He agreed and ended up still doing it all for €150 total so happy enough.
              How did the NCT miss a swaybar link fully broken though, surely thats a fairly basic safety failure.

NCT due now but deferred to January.

Have a windsreen washer nozzle leak so the rain is getting in through there and dripping on to the spark plugs and causing a hard start.(had to get a jump today)
              Temporary fix in place and bought some sealant.
              Not fully confident on it yet though, need good daylight to tackle it. Theres a finicky little clip to push in (from under the bonnet) that releases the nozzle but its usually getting these things back in place properly thats the issue.

It took until you you mentioned the swaybar link until I realised you weren't talking about a heart operation for yourself in colloquial terms

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Cuchulainn1 View Post

It took until you you mentioned the swaybar link until I realised you weren't talking about a heart operation for yourself in colloquial terms
                    Lol

It would be great value for €150 wouldn't it. Feck it I'll take a back up heart for redundancy...call it €250 all in...shake cardiologists hand to seal the deal.

Bit of a random post all right.

Comment

The thing that has surprised me about Biden, was I was expecting him to be one of these say nice things, do nice things kinda guys. But he's a bit of a bollix of a street fighter at heart. While Hilary, by contrast, was an academic smart-ass*, in tone. Its quite heartening to see the bit of spirit. Has probably helped convince a fair few waiverers that they aren't voting for a wimp - which is something they seemingly consider important.

*No offence intended to academic smart-asses, but we definitely shouldn't be elected to run things. I've been trying to answer an email for the last hour and can't work out what to write. Thats not the decisive type of leadership you want when the russkis are about to fire their nukes.
                      You don't get to that level of political leadership without being an animal at heart.
                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Also, don't think HRC had any trouble sending emails.
                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

No, would be interested in hearing how hes getting on too.
                          Your wish is my command.

Much the same really, I still have trouble with my sense of smell and talking for long periods. I went to get my bloods checked and was told I have Diabetes so the hits keep coming. I am sure it is not Covid related as it has been diagnosed as type 2. The doctors originally had thought type 1 based on the blood sugar levels when fasting.

I am on tablets now and have totally revamped my diet. All going well so far but it was a shock as I had no symptoms. A bit of unexplained weight loss but that was it. Would encourage anyone with a high sugar diet to get checked, I was lucky to catch it early.

I haven't specifically asked my mate how his long time affects are so can't comment on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

You don't get to that level of political leadership without being an animal at heart.
                            I liked when he called him a clown in the debate. Would have been so easy to use a term that would offend somebody, but nobody likes clowns anymore.

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Comment

I think we're seeing the lie exposed before our eyes that the jobs are in Dublin because everyone wants to live there rather than the other way around. I'm personally shocked.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I liked when he called him a clown in the debate. Would have been so easy to use a term that would offend somebody, but nobody likes clowns anymore.
                                  I enjoyed PJ O'Rourke's opening to his Sunday Times piece 3 weeks ago on Trump:

Americans have had their fun electing a clown flapping around in huge shoes he can’t fill, honking incessantly on his Twitter horn, the little car of his administration spilling forth far too many buffoons, zanies and felony indictments. His greasepaint now looks nothing but greasy, his fright wig is too frightful. His antics cause the tightrope walkers of foreign policy to totter, the trapeze artists of domestic policy to lose their grip, and he’s scaring the children in the ringside seats, particularly the millennial voters. (Alarming their suburban moms as well.) He’s chasing the elephants out of the big top. Two notable Republican pachyderms — General Colin Powell and John Kasich, the former Ohio governor and erstwhile Trump primary opponent — wandered over to perform...

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

People like living together in large numbers because it is exciting, and we generally like exciting things. Exciting like these three posts I've just posted that could have been one post, my apologies. Nearly all creativity and innovation comes out of living in large cities, all social movements (1916 being an Irish example), all impetus for change and improvement in how we live.
                                          and people who live outside of large cities are generally gap-toothed yokels who have sex with farm animals*

*scientifically proven

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                              https://twitter.com/EoinMcGee/status...296700416?s=19

I think we're seeing the lie exposed before our eyes that the jobs are in Dublin because everyone wants to live there rather than the other way around. I'm personally shocked.
                                              There is much less to do in the cities right now but that will not always be the case.

Comment

This is a fun watch

Comment

Comment

Ideally everywhere would be fun tbh. I guess a lot is mindset also. You can be as miserable in the Empire State Building as in Mullingar, but also the other way around as well in terms of happiness. The thing that personally kills me about Irish towns is how awful the architecture is with no real building sense of pride. I know people are more important than buildings, but its an awful first impression. Plus the incessant First Communions they seem to have according to twitter, makes it all seem quite backward.
                                                    Big First communions are more a Dublin thing TBH

Certainly everywhere should be be fun for families but in a population of 5 million you will only have one place with a few Abbey sized theatres, a half dozen olympia plus sized gig venues, a few afternoon out sized museum's and galleries and most importantly a nexus of arty and culturally progressive young people.

Comment

The lad who moved to a city the size of Cork and spent years telling us how great the lifestyle was and the fella who lives somewhere delivery drivers can never find in Kildare agreeing with each other about how everyone wants to live in Dublin. I'm wondering how long it'll be before we start seeing the government being pressurized to 'encourage' people back into offices to get them back into the Pale. Genie's out of the bottle.

Imagine how much better a place for everyone Dublin would be if you could help or encourage 20% of the people there out of it.

Comment

Actually - Hitch already left once, Strewel & myself left for good, RD3 would only cross the Shannon for the Galway Oyster Festival. 75%-25% - the numbers add up.

Comment

Actually - Hitch already left once, Strewel & myself left for good, RD3 would only cross the Shannon for the Galway Oyster Festival. 75%-25% - the numbers add up.
                                                          Never been but I like the sound of it. Mrs Duke III is actually from Galway though so we do spend quite a bit of time in Wesht. I guess it's grand to visit.

Comment

Comment

Covid has certainly made Dublin much more breathable.

Was dragging a kid out to go hockey training last Friday in Glasnevin, so a few ks from our house along Collins Avenue. She asked what time do we have to leave, and I on autopilot said 'at least 30 mins before because the traffic will be shite'. Cue us sitting in the car for 20 mins awaiting the rest of the squad to turn up.

Comment

Never been but I like the sound of it. Mrs Duke III is actually from Galway though so we do spend quite a bit of time in Wesht. I guess it's grand to visit.
                                                                Ah I know you do but thought it was a decent line! You go in and out of work by bicycle don't you? Any of the recently added bike infra make a difference for you?

Comment

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Just Manhattan. We snuck in there for a week at the end of February to get the engagement ring for herself, everything was still as normal. It's an incredible place. Talk about architecture.

Comment

Comment

Keane, from my reading of that guy's tweet, any responses would be heavily on the 'yes, I would move down the country' (positive response) versus 'nah, happy out in the big smoke' (negative response) based on the way he phrased it. Plus no idea of who he is, but if his followers are mainly Irish folk, I'd guess he's missing the massive % of the big multinational employers' workforce who are non-Irish and even less likely to contemplate a move outside of Dublin.

If the big employers truly believed they could get the same workforce if they relocated from expensive Silicon Docks to the back arse of Mayo, why aren't any of them there? The IDA would surely give them all sorts of grants to move into an empty industrial park unit in any number of counties. I just don't believe it is something people in general want to do - young people by and large want to work in the big city. I fall on that side of the argument myself, so maybe I'm biased. Every single one of my friends left Galway city when college was over, one is back now and another is a little further out in Galway county, but everyone else is in Dublin and happy to be there. I'm married to a Dublin girl so it's unlikely we'll leave this city though never say never

Comment

I'm going to be trading up in the coming years (hopefully) so really want Dublin to become less busy or at least house prices come down, by the way. I'm hoping the WFH trend may help with this, but more so the pressure of an ever-more-likely election of Sinn Fein to government unless the affordable housing issue is sorted - surely FF/FG/Greens HAVE to enable or facilitate the building of 00,000s of 3-bed units priced at some affordable level (€250,000?) across Dublin and the rest of the country to stave this off?

Comment

Ah I know you do but thought it was a decent line! You go in and out of work by bicycle don't you? Any of the recently added bike infra make a difference for you?
                                                                              these days I go in and out of work via the hallway in my house

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                I'm going to be trading up in the coming years (hopefully) so really want Dublin to become less busy or at least house prices come down, by the way. I'm hoping the WFH trend may help with this, but more so the pressure of an ever-more-likely election of Sinn Fein to government unless the affordable housing issue is sorted - surely FF/FG/Greens HAVE to enable or facilitate the building of 00,000s of 3-bed units priced at some affordable level (€250,000?) across Dublin and the rest of the country to stave this off?
                                                                                what do you think SF will do to bring house prices down?

Comment

...

Comment

Imagine how much better a place for everyone Dublin would be if you could help or encourage 20% of the people there out of it.
                                                                                    I think there is a flaw in this you are over looking. Also present in that twitter poll.

When thinking about relocating to the country, people are thinking of the individual impact. Any single person/family and relocate to the country with zero impact of the status quo. The quiet life, etc.

But mass exodus from urban areas. Where exactly are they supposed to go. 20% of greater Dublin urban area is maybe 400k people. Most county towns and villages are lacking the infrastructure to support current populations.

Comment

Good to hear plenty of dubs aren’t buying into all the good life guff in the media at the moment
                                                                                      stay where ye are lads

Comment

...

Comment

Was that in a diamond district there or something like that?
                                                                                          I was there to get MrsDP's ring.
                                                                                          I quite luckily got stopped purchasing due to a contracting invoice not being paid on time.
                                                                                          We got a much nicer one from Voltaire in town
                                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Would move anywhere that my friends and family would be handy for too.
                                                                                            Oh yeah and schools.
                                                                                            Shops would be useful I suppose.
                                                                                            Bitta amenities etc
                                                                                            I imagine similar for most people.
                                                                                            If most people moved to another place, that place would have to become biggg.

Turtles all the way down. Infinite recursion.

Comment

I'm looking around at new roles in light of the current situation. It seems nonsensical to at least not float the idea of a long term WFH situation for a higher paying role to some companies.

I took a small enough paycut(bonus etc included) to move out of Dublin which resulted in effectively standing pat on my take home. Commute went from 3hr to 30mins per day so in a decent spot either way.

Hitch may be somewhat jealous of a recent interview with his favourite social media platform. They weren't eager on long term WFH but wasn't a categorical no which is good. It seems most big companies are resigned to back in the office circa 2022 so I'm hoping that some offers arise.

Comment

EjrYJH7U8AAopFM?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg

Comment

According to 538 Democrats are slight favourites to control The Senate, overwhelming favourites to control The House and obviously we know the presidency.

I was listening to podcast and this scenario arose. Guest suggested that a change to Supreme Court in relation to term length and/or total judges may then be on the cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                                    According to 538 Democrats are slight favourites to control The Senate, overwhelming favourites to control The House and obviously we know the presidency.

I was listening to podcast and this scenario arose. Guest suggested that a change to Supreme Court in relation to term length and/or total judges may then be on the cards.
                                                                                                    aka 'court packing'

Biden is (wisely imo) refusing to even discuss it

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I was there to get MrsDP's ring.
                                                                                                      I quite luckily got stopped purchasing due to a contracting invoice not being paid on time.
                                                                                                      We got a much nicer one from Voltaire in town
                                                                                                      Shirley the best value would be to go directly to Rhodesia,
                                                                                                      buy a rock and sneak it home with the aid of your 'ring'.

Don't squeeze too hard tho, or you'll get a blood diamond
                                                                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

We were considering to moving deep into Culchieland , the thought lasted 20 minutes, I called up the estate agent.

ME : Hello I’m looking to see about properties in your area max 30 mins from the town. I can’t seem to find your website ? Do you have one?
                                                                                                        AGENT : Arru? Wellbejyazgettupthingsaby an whajoinlookin for sir.
                                                                                                        ME : WHA?
                                                                                                        AGENT : A finepropertyhurrupabilly shurruy Qatar amilel
                                                                                                        ME : Buurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr r

Comment

One important point on the whole moving wesssst for the quiet life thing

All those people who moved to places like Sligo for the quiet life and for the walking trails sure helped turn them into dull fucking places

Family from just outside London used to call it Irish Camden when I was a kid...used to love coming... ain't Irish Camden now... not even the dull modern touristy Camden

Not 100% the regatta brigades fault but didn't help

Comment

Mostly Bertie's fault obviously...

Comment

More than happy to have 20% of the most yokel-like weeded out of Dublin and replaced with hot eurochicks btw. So we agree on that keane.
                                                                                                              Let me know when it happens so I can move back to Dublin

Comment

what do you think SF will do to bring house prices down?
                                                                                                                Ah, you know I feel the same way about SF as SP does (well, maybe not as rabidly!) - I fully understand they're just hammering the government for the housing problem without any realistic probability of solving the issue themselves. But from a vote-getting standpoint it's great for SF, they are on a winner unless the issue is solved. Lots of people are now of the opinion 'why vote for the guys who have let us down again and again when it comes to housing, let's give this other crowd a try, they haven't had the chance to fail us yet so what do we have to lose?'

Totally understandable really. If SF comes in, maybe the frustration and anger of their new-found followers in the aftermath of a massive let down will make the situation a little more palatable.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

Ah, you know I feel the same way about SF as SP does (well, maybe not as rabidly!) - I fully understand they're just hammering the government for the housing problem without any realistic probability of solving the issue themselves. But from a vote-getting standpoint it's great for SF, they are on a winner unless the issue is solved. Lots of people are now of the opinion 'why vote for the guys who have let us down again and again when it comes to housing, let's give this other crowd a try, they haven't had the chance to fail us yet so what do we have to lose?'

Totally understandable really. If SF comes in, maybe the frustration and anger of their new-found followers in the aftermath of a massive let down will make the situation a little more palatable.
                                                                                                                  yeah, I don't see it helping you to rise up the ladder though (although if you do, move over this way to Mrs Iona's ancestral stomping ground and we can go for pints)

Like if they collapse house prices, it's probably on the back of a big economic collapse - meaning you'll be paying more tax or your job will be gone. So not seeing upside.

Comment

aka 'court packing'

Biden is (wisely imo) refusing to even discuss it
                                                                                                                    After listening to that podcast and afterwards reading a little more on the topic, I tend to think it will be less of an issue than many envisage. Perhaps they will flirt with something which was what he was suggesting but substantial change is unlikely.

As the guest pointed out, Robert's understands that the legitimacy of the court is paramount. Some judges like Thomas are very conservative but partisanship is not all that present once elected.
                                                                                                                    Robert's himself has become more liberal over time as Chief Justice while even Kavaunagh has voted approximately 50% of the time alongside Gorsuch(Trumps other nomination) and 50% with Breyer(generally Liberal).

It'll be interesting to see how it develops but may end up in situ.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                      This is a fun watch

Some genuine LOL moments in this
                                                                                                                      Frida and Linus had me cracking up.

Comment

Trump is up 2% in Missouri, a deep red state he won by 19 points in 2016....

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                          Far be it for me to try and defend Trump but. A picture has 1000 words. Video tells the full story and he does indeed salute. Are you a fan of the aul propaganda yourself Father.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X