This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

I’m aware of what happened last time, and what republicans said. Kinda hard for the play that card though considering Obama ignored the request and nominated a SCJ in 2016.

But that doesn’t really answer the question of why and seems to be mostly tit-for-tat. What’s the actual logical reason to only nominate in the first 3 years of term.
    there isn't one

you nominate when you think you have the votes to get your pick onto the bench. The GOP does.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

GTFO IMO

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
          GTFO IMO

Sam's been on lockdown for 5 years . Pull your mask over your eyes

Comment

Fun article on what could happen during the US election: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...oncede/616424/
            Last edited by Hectorjelly; 23-09-20, 21:03.

Comment

Before he took over people were predicting that he was gonna nuke countries in a tantrum and all other sorts of stuff. It's all silly. If he loses it won't be a difficult transition.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

there isn't one

you nominate when you think you have the votes to get your pick onto the bench. The GOP does.
                That’s essentially what I was thinking. But was unsure if I was missing something. Can’t really see how the Dems have a leg to stand on here. The whole “RBG’s dying wish” schtick is kinda feeble.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                      Before he took over people were predicting that he was gonna nuke countries in a tantrum and all other sorts of stuff. It's all silly. If he loses it won't be a difficult transition.
                      People ? Who ?

Hes about to top the Hiroshima Nagasaki death toll in his own country should be on target by end of the year . . I'll grant you that we didnt think he was starting with America. Wtf with the apologist shit .

Make America Grieve Again . He is poison .

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                        Arizona and Florida now looking like coinflips and this has been from a position where Biden was decently ahead in past polls. Yikes. There's some trend on the ground we're unaware of. I'll let Raoul quote this tomorrow with soothing words of why it doesn't matter. And in fairness, from the 538 path to victory thing, it seems that Trump winning these states isn't enough to win. Its more the trend that is worrying.
                        What have you learned about polls in recent years . ?

Comment

Irish open golf

Rock 1st round leader. Winner Justin Harding

Elbows?

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                            Irish open golf

Rock 1st round leader. Winner Justin Harding

Elbows?
                            I have Caldwell and Lagergren FRL

Power and Bhatia FRL in the states.

No outrights yet.
                            His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

The specific reason is because when the previous justice either resigned or died in office in the last year of Obama's presidency, the Republican senate refused to consider Obama's nominee on the grounds that it wasn't fair to consider a senate nominee in an election year.
                              That was referenced above. That’s parroting the issue, but it’s not a reason. There’s no explanation why is supposedly unfair.

It’s also not an accurate summary of what happened in 2016. They asked Obama not to make a nomination in his lame duck year. Ignoring the fact that it’s not Trump’s second term. Obama (and Biden) ignored the request, and made the nomination anyway. Which the GOP didn’t support. If the democrats want to play tit-fot-tat, then by all means, don’t support Trump’s nomination. But they can’t hardy suggest he shouldn’t make one when they didn’t offer the same courtesy

Comment

The specific reason is because when the previous justice either resigned or died in office in the last year of Obama's presidency, the Republican senate refused to consider Obama's nominee on the grounds that it wasn't fair to consider a senate nominee in an election year.
                                It's just whining though. If the Democrats could have pushed it through when Obama was in charge they would have and if they could block this one they would. They got unlucky in both situations as the Republicans can do what the Democrats couldn't.

What I don't get is why don't Supreme Court Justices retire more and when 'their' guy is in power. RBG was in her 80's when Obama was in office, how about calling it a day and let your side get in someone that is going to be around for the next few decades instead of leaving it to chance that the Democrats will be in power when you kick it.

Comment

It's all silly. If he loses it won't be a difficult transition.
                                  There's a long article with detailed arguments and evidence, and this is your response.

Comment

American politics like its sports if way over hyped and analysed IMO.
                                    Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Comment

This is all perfectly normal:

Comment

I was reading a little on the issues in Louisville post Breonna Taylor result, this is what SkyNews reported:

"President Donald Trump praised Kentucky's Republican attorney general for his handling of the investigation into Ms Taylor's death.

He read from attorney general Daniel Cameron's statement that "justice is not often easy."

"I said, 'write that down for me please cause I think it was a terrific statement,'" the US president said."

However, if you see the whole video, he doesn't appear like quite the moron. That is both the opening line and the closing comment of a far bigger statement. I'm no fan but he's not wrong, the statement is quite good but as reported, you'd be led to believe, he's a complete buffoon.

Asked to respond to the Kentucky grand jury ruling that brought no charges against Louisville police for the killing of Breonna Taylor during a drug raid gon...

Comment

Arizona and Florida now looking like coinflips and this has been from a position where Biden was decently ahead in past polls. Yikes. There's some trend on the ground we're unaware of. I'll let Raoul quote this tomorrow with soothing words of why it doesn't matter. And in fairness, from the 538 path to victory thing, it seems that Trump winning these states isn't enough to win. Its more the trend that is worrying.
                                            Florida has always been a coinflip. The polls are very consistent on that one.

Arizona; it is only one poll (albeit from an A+ rated poster), all others have been indicating it's leaning Biden's way and was taken before Cindy McCain endorsed Biden (which presumably will help)

The odds haven't really moved at all. The polling data likewise is very consistent. In fact, it's crazy how stable the market has been since the race really got into its stride. Both candidates trade in a really narrow range.

I really want to see an Ohio poll. If that goes blue, it's game over.

Comment

Based on two recent conversations with family members (Blue) in the US I just backed Trump @ 11/10

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

There's a long article with detailed arguments and evidence, and this is your response.
                                                Click bait hyperbole for the doom merchants.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                  Based on two recent conversations with family members (Blue) in the US I just backed Trump @ 11/10
                                                  Sample size. And you a poker player.

I've quite a few US contacts Apparently the electorate are on a missio this year .

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                    I was reading a little on the issues in Louisville post Breonna Taylor result, this is what SkyNews reported:

"President Donald Trump praised Kentucky's Republican attorney general for his handling of the investigation into Ms Taylor's death.

He read from attorney general Daniel Cameron's statement that "justice is not often easy."

"I said, 'write that down for me please cause I think it was a terrific statement,'" the US president said."

However, if you see the whole video, he doesn't appear like quite the moron. That is both the opening line and the closing comment of a far bigger statement. I'm no fan but he's not wrong, the statement is quite good but as reported, you'd be led to believe, he's a complete buffoon.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=GCUA0lnok10
                                                    Not quite the moron. This is where we are folks . The bar is set .

Comment

Sample size. And you a poker player.

I've quite a few US contacts Apparently the electorate are on a missio this year .
                                                      Glad you have a bigger sample size to work off

Comment

Click bait hyperbole for the doom merchants.
                                                        Now that's absolute nonsense. The reason people are worried about it is because of the things Trump himself has said and done.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/23/u...gtype=Homepage Trump Won’t Commit to ‘Peaceful’ Post-Election Transfer of Power

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...-sabotage.html POLITICSHow Trump Could Steal the Election

One increasingly likely scenario where everything goes wrong.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/opinio...mn/3372658001/ Trump has a plan to steal the election and it's not clear Democrats have a plan to stop him

Last edited by Hectorjelly; 24-09-20, 09:29.

Comment

What is best in life? To crush your enemies. See them driven before you. And to hear the lamentations of their women.

From top to bottom, rugby union is now staring into the abyss
                                                          https://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...e_iOSApp_Other

Comment

Is there any markets pricing these possibilities coming up? Should be odds right?
                                                            Last edited by Denny Crane; 24-09-20, 09:34.

Comment

Can't believe people have watched Trump for five years and come away from watching that video thinking he's planning a coup.

Comment

Can't believe people have watched Trump for five years and come away from watching that video thinking he's planning a coup.
                                                                I'm not sweating that factor in my bet.

It is an incredible thing for a sitting president of a democracy to say though, I think we need to recognise that. Imagine if Leo had responded that way to the same question in February? (the fact that no reporter here would even think of asking the question as it's so ridiculous is obviously a good thing)

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Glad you have a bigger sample size to work off
                                                                  Well it's in the 3 figures . 16 years in Msft and some others . All saying the same thing
                                                                  Last edited by Solksjaer!; 24-09-20, 11:42.

Comment

The coup might happen but to retake what the electorate voted for .

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Now that's absolute nonsense. The reason people are worried about it is because of the things Trump himself has said and done.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/23/u...gtype=Homepage Trump Won’t Commit to ‘Peaceful’ Post-Election Transfer of Power

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...-sabotage.html POLITICSHow Trump Could Steal the Election

One increasingly likely scenario where everything goes wrong.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/opinio...mn/3372658001/ Trump has a plan to steal the election and it's not clear Democrats have a plan to stop him

You are forgetting Denny said its hyperbolic so you've no argument against this really . He said it so. Hmmm

Comment

Put it this way; if Trump truly is tied in Iowa, then he is fucked.
                                                                        NYT\Sienna have it Biden ahead in Iowa 45-42.

Interesting.
                                                                        Iowa is very white, has loads of rural uneducated voters and churches full of evangelicals.

If Trump really is losing there, he's completely toast.

Same pollster has it a tie in Georgia and Trump +3 in Texas.

Comment

Is there any markets pricing these possibilities coming up? Should be odds right?
                                                                          Not sure if serious, but it's near impossible to price up a game that complicated.

Comment

complacency and disenfranchisement are the Dems biggest enemy in election years
                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                              Basically my whole point. NOT this year .

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                Thought it was poor candidates

Comment

Thought it was poor candidates
                                                                                  complacency did a number on Hillary too
                                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Indeed, we know he's not smart enough to have any coherent thought beyond whatever it was the lasp person he spoke to told him or whatever statement of fact dented his super fragile 11 year old's ego.
                                                                                    I'm glad you think its impossible that he will not accept the election result, that you are continuing to see that his very presence in the election campaign is acceptable in a democracy is reprehensible.
                                                                                    If you're not agin him you are with him.
                                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

In fairness, the two most senior GOP senators (McConnell, Graham) came out today and said of course they would accept the result.

Comment

Not quite the moron. This is where we are folks . The bar is set .
                                                                                        You're missing my point. Outlets like SkyNews are regarded as highly factual and least biased which is simply not the case in the example above.

I agree he's a moron but he says enough moronic things frequently enough that you dont need to portray non-moronic things he says as such.

It just seems to me that just like Fox clings to any example of sound leadership. Those on the left and even in the center look for any semblance they can find of painting him as an idiot.

US focused media is just beyond shit, complete tit for tat.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                          I'm glad you think its impossible that he will not accept the election result, that you are continuing to see that his very presence in the election campaign is acceptable in a democracy is reprehensible.
                                                                                          If you're not agin him you are with him.
                                                                                          It's like you've forgotten that he's the democratically elected leader. Kinda too that the dems tried to undermine the transfer from Obama, and protested the result on the streets, but are worried about Trump's handover.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

You're missing my point. Outlets like SkyNews are regarded as highly factual and least biased which is simply not the case in the example above.

I agree he's a moron but he says enough moronic things frequently enough that you dont need to portray non-moronic things he says as such.

It just seems to me that just like Fox clings to any example of sound leadership. Those on the left and even in the center look for any semblance they can find of painting him as an idiot.

US focused media is just beyond shit, complete tit for tat.
                                                                                            The point was clear . However the bar has been reset If he was just an idiot it wouldn't be so bad . He is dangerous as are his followers /supporters Core human values mean little .

Comment

It's like you've forgotten that he's the democratically elected leader. Kinda too that the dems tried to undermine the transfer from Obama, and protested the result on the streets, but are worried about Trump's handover.
                                                                                              Obama accepted the result, Clinton accepted the result.

Weak argument dude.

Comment

NYT\Sienna have it Biden ahead in Iowa 45-42.

Interesting.
                                                                                                Iowa is very white, has loads of rural uneducated voters and churches full of evangelicals.

If Trump really is losing there, he's completely toast.

Same pollster has it a tie in Georgia and Trump +3 in Texas.
                                                                                                and now Monmouth (similarly A+ rated) have Trump + 3 in Iowa

I think Iowa is fast becoming my favourite state to monitor. Trump won it by 10 points last time

Comment

Ohio poll shows a tie. Good news for Biden.

Comment

and now Monmouth (similarly A+ rated) have Trump + 3 in Iowa

I think Iowa is fast becoming my favourite state to monitor. Trump won it by 10 points last time
                                                                                                    Iowa +3 for Biden in the NYT https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/24/u...rgia-iowa.html
                                                                                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Ohio poll shows a tie. Good news for Biden.
                                                                                                      You should take a break m8. You are way too obsessed with American politics
                                                                                                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

This thread has nuggets .

Comment

Up North at the golf working for Sky.
                                                                                                          20200924_124442.jpg
                                                                                                          Nice course in excellent condition. Greens and fairways pure. Bunkers a little damp and hard. Not sure why they are finding it so difficult. A bit of a breeze alright but they have preferred lies too. All three in my group +5. Putting was awful. Greens playing faster than they think. Leaving 5 footer return putts.

​​​​​​Pins didn't seem all that tricky. I guess it is set up for the cream of the cream which isn't how I would describe this field.
                                                                                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                                            Negated by the Monmouth poll though. Still, very fucking interesting state indeed - surprisingly so.

Comment

Atlanta needs to get some better looking strippers.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Atlanta needs to get some better looking strippers.

Racist.

Comment

...

Comment

So my States To Watch list are all must-wins for Trump:
                                                                                                                    1. Iowa
                                                                                                                    2. Ohio
                                                                                                                    3. Florida
                                                                                                                    4. Arizona

I don't see Trump winning any other states in the rust belt e.g. MN, MI, WI, PA as they're trending way too strongly Biden. He needs to get an other 10 EC votes from somewhere...but where? Nevada maybe but still not enough.

Comment

Bet on Tiraspol to beat Dundalk as part of an acca as knew the name Tiraspol, so was guessing it was one of those huge Eastern European cities. Unfortunately it seems I remember the name Tiraspol from Tony Hawks less successful follow up Round Ireland with a Fridge - Playing the Moldovans at Tennis. That might explain why Dundalk are holding tiny Tiraspol to a draw. I'll need a new footie system.
                                                                                                                      you were probably confused with Timisaroa tbf, or Sebastopol or somewhere

Comment

But then you see something mental like Trump only +4 in Kansas and you think maybe the Russians have hacked the polls.

Kansas ffs!

Comment

But then you see something mental like Trump only +4 in Kansas and you think maybe the Russians have hacked the polls.

Kansas ffs!
                                                                                                                          Ah sure why would we they do that?
                                                                                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X