• Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

well she'd already graduated, so it was a wee bit late.
        Do you ever get offered bribes?

Seemingly the done thing in Italy to slip the Prof an envelope.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

You also said that about Biden, lest we forget. About him being a terrible candidate. That Biden was completely unelectable and that only someone like a young Beto had a chance. And she wasn't too bad a candidate given she got 3 million (5%) more votes than Trump. As an earlier version of you (last night!) said - it was having a Green candidate in the race that ended up being decisive in who was elected, which wasn't in Hilary's control.
          Biden is an average Joe. Clinton had that toxic swirl around her (I'm not judging here - most of it was clearly bullshit).

But the key point just has to keep being made:

2016 - referendum on Clinton
          2020 - referendum on Trump

Comment

Bill Clinton on the other hand would have beaten Trump like a red-headed stepchild. Brilliant retail politician.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Emailgate, Whitewater, Benghazi...the Clinton name generally.

And the fact she was a woman didn't help.

Don't get me wrong, I think she would probably have been a competent president. But she was a terrible candidate.
              The HRC 'scandals' were all small beer stories that had enormous conspiracy theories tacked on following the now well defined Bannon/Qanon model
              Between Hunter, Joe's touchy feeliness and perceived senility there is just as much of a platform to build similar nonsense on if and only if the money taps are flowing freely.

If Trump has enough money spent on him it will be close and that number is critical success of your venture especially if you are going to play on the margin of victory.

On a slightly different angle, real leadership with any sort of a moral compass is going to be hugely important in rebuilding and repairing the US from Trump and Covid, for Republicunts slowly opening their eyes to the appalling vista of what they have done to their country by selling their collective soul to this evil feels to me like the Irish GE of 2008 as one you'd really rather not win.
              Last edited by Strewelpeter; 13-09-20, 11:05.
              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Is it too late to jump in now?
                  Missed that post last night... cut off was just about then, I think a few tried to join the club just after it was closed.
                  There was a good turnout of about 30 with a pot of€1300 between rebuys and add ons so 650 raised for Simon.
                  There was zoom call which was god craic, a bit weird as I knew very few except from seeing around the town and they mostly knew each other well but as you'd expect from friends of Dave they were all sound out.
                  I never spotted Dice so the cash game wasn't as crazy as expected

Comment

Jesus, that climb to the finish on Le Tour today.

I feel sick just looking at it on the phone.

Comment

Speaking of election money Strewel....here's what a real NYC billionaire can do.

Comment

Comment

Jesus, that climb to the finish on Le Tour today.

I feel sick just looking at it on the phone.
                          Nice easy lead up to it at least

Comment

Merica huh!

Comment

Young poker pro Fedor Kruse who was playing $200 zoom not too long back and by all accounts of players playing with him was a pretty bad reg goes from that to playing the highest possible stakes in less 6 months.

Outed as using RTA (Real-Time Assitance)

https://www.vip-grinders.com/new-hug...-kruse-update/

It doesn't even seem that hard to do. API's already exists to call databases of precomputed solutions. Hook it up to a UI and do some screen scraping. Run-on another computer and away you go.
                              Last edited by Opr; 13-09-20, 15:16.

Comment

A total fucking massacre - brilliant stuff!

Comment

It did for my man Bernal

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

It did for my man Bernal
                                    Impossible to call it between roglic and pogacar for the win overall.
                                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

Impossible to call it between roglic and pogacar for the win overall.
                                      I'd make roglic a heavy fav between the 2 tbh. Jumbo Visma are absolutely bossing and controlling this tour, they're just so impressive!

Comment

RIP Alan Smurfit

Comment

Fingers crossed these two boys at the top stay scandal free .
                                          (TDF20)

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                            Report on his $1,500 PLO win at WSOP 2007 from Nolan Dalla.

The winner of the $1,500 buy-in Pot-Limit Hold’em (with re-buys) championship was Alan Smurfit, a 64-year-old retiree from Miami, FL. Smurfit was born in Ireland. This is his second year to compete at the World Series of Poker. It is his first time ever to cash at the WSOP after a dozen cashes at tournaments elsewhere.

Smurfit’s victory was not only the most hard-fought battle at this year’s World Series, to date. It was certainly the year’s greatest comeback. Smurfit began the final table dead last in chips. He started with 95,000 in his stack to his eight opponents, each who had upwards of ten times that amount. Smurfit’s victory was a staggeringly impressive accomplishment, not only of perseverance, but of physical and mental endurance.

The final table clocked in at just over nine hours. However, heads-up play lasted a mind-boggling 167 hands, spread over six hours. It was one of the longest Pot-Limit Omaha heads-up matches in WSOP history. First place paid $464,867.

Comment

Just back in Dublin after a week long out West. It was one of the most relaxing weeks ever, total switch off for 7 days and nights. Now, don't get me wrong, had there been no Covid, we most likely would have been in Greece but the West it was.

First up was two nights in Gregans Castle in The Burren. It's lovely spot and upon arrival, we were told we'd got an upgrade to a junior suite which was a nice surprise.

After showing Mrs Lao Lao that croquet was not played like golf (a convincing 2-0 trashing) we headed for our massages and after that headed down for our dinner.

Dinner was fantastic and well above the standard I was expecting. It was Michelin Star level in everything we received. Two little hor d'oeuvres followed by two surprise courses, oyster and mussels in a cold potatoe and leek soup and then onto starters, where we both went for scallops. Mains was unusual, in that it came in two parts. Herself had rabbit and I had grouse and they serve it two ways over two courses, all four were excellent. But it was dessert that was the real show stopper. Mine was lick the plate good.

Dessert

SPOILER

It should be pointed out that somehow the same kitchen managed to serve up poached eggs the next morning that were essentially hard boiled eggs. They got them right the following morning but still somewhat bizarre.

The next day was absolutely chucking it down which wasn't ideal as we'd booked a 3 hour guided walking tour around The Burren. Nevertheless, we went ahead with it and our guide (local guy called Shane) was absolutely fantastic. His knowledge of the local area, the flora and fauna was off the charts plus he had a great sense of humour and we had great banter with him. I'd say he'd have the yanks eating out of his hand in a normal tourist season. The three hours flew by (despite the horrible conditions) and before we knew it we were heading back to Gregans for a long warm shower ahead of dinner with one of Mrs Lao Lao's mate and her fella who had moved down to Clare a few years ago. Dinner that night was a paired back affair as they only do a bistro menu on a Monday night. That said the food was still very good.

Tuesday morning, after consuming proper poached eggs, saw us depart to Galway for 5 days and night of pure relaxation. The days were all fairly similar, sleep in until around 11am, have some breakfast, go for a good walk followed by a sea swim, followed by some lunch followed by home, papers, music, gin and tonic, dinner and vino. We just mixed up the swimming spots a bit (Gurteen, Manin, Ervallagh, etc) and the lunch spots, dinner and vino.

On Thursday Mrs Lao Lao's best mate and her fella came down from Dublin to stay with us for three nights so we headed to Cleggan that night for a pop up dinner in The Sea Hare which was very good. Every other night was home cooked but relaxed home cooking, nothing requiring too much effort.

Probably best among the lunches was when we took a trip out to Leenaun and had grub at the Misunderstoodheron which is a food truck dishing up some quality grub in a great setting. The spin there and back was good craic as we went in a 1969 Merc (owned by Mrs Lao Lao's best mates fella)

Transport to/from Leenaun

SPOILER

Lunch table with a view

SPOILER

My wake up view each morning

SPOILER

The perfect Saturday afternoon post sea swim, lunch and hot shower. Feet up, Papers, a G&T and a view.

SPOILER

I actually can't remember the last time I've been that relaxed on a holiday, it really was pure bliss. I've said it many times, I couldn't live out there full time, but a few trips out West a year is good for the soul.

Comment

That place is owned by your wife's family if I remember rightly Lao? There must be a lot of good Airbnb recommendations knocking around in peoples' heads here from the last couple of months. I'm due a holiday in the next month or two after six months of seven day weeks! Love the look of Cork down around Glandore/Unionhall

Comment

Small ew trixie on the golf and ew singles

Winner in europe
                                                  Third on seniors (one shot behind on 17th tee)
                                                  Joint 7th on PGA (Still very much in it on 16th)

Was dreaming of 50K at one point, was looking at 7K half hour before end of PGA

2K winning day almost feels like a loss...almost

​​​​​​

Comment

​
                                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

I wonder what happens when a fresh outbreak is directly traced to a Trump rally.

Comment

Comment

I wonder what happens when a fresh outbreak is directly traced to a Trump rally.
                                                          Some people get sick, and some of them die? Though have to think that the people who estimated that the Sturgis motorcycle rally caused 250k cases and cost healthcare $12.2 billion were a bit off in their calculations. https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielc...are-skeptical/

Comment

Nice to see Denny's alternate version of reality is getting through to someone

Comment

Also, what happened with the Johnny Depp libel trial? Was there any result?

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Some people get sick, and some of them die? Though have to think that the people who estimated that the Sturgis motorcycle rally caused 250k cases and cost healthcare $12.2 billion were a bit off in their calculations. https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielc...are-skeptical/
                                                                If even one of those dopes died from the rally then the died of stupidity with covid as an underlying condition

Comment

Nice to see Denny's alternate version of reality is getting through to someone

This is what happens when you sniff disinfectants

Comment

Lao Lao, after you told me last week you were out west, I said fuck it and headed home to the parents house for the weekend. It wasnt anything like your week but pure bliss all the same. Knocked off work early Friday and hit the road. Few cans and watched the match with the aul lad Friday evening,

Drove for Dingle with the sister when I woke up on Saturday and had a swim in the hidden gem that is Binn Bán, a small cove and I had it completely to myself which was fantastic after we drove past Inch and it was wedged. Thanked my luck that not many know about it. I didnt want to leave but it was getting cold. Into Dingle then for fish n chips and a few pints in Murphys and decided to take a boat trip as one was leaving just as we were walking past. The bastard fungie wasnt playing ball though, still a mighty day to be out in the harbour bobbing around. Left the house at midday and got home some time after 10pm so a great day was had.

Woke up Sunday to climb Mangerton with the brother and our mother had a fry up on so we demolished that and headed on. A gorgeous day for a climb but very cloudy at the top. Still, a nice lunch by the Devils Punchbowl and smashing views back towards Killarney and over Torc, the lakes etc. After that it was home for a shower and hit the road back to Meath arriving about 7.30 last night. A cracking weekend which I'm hoping to do more after missing those trips so much during lockdown.

As you say, it's good for the soul. If you're not feeling the best, head west.

Comment

That place is owned by your wife's family if I remember rightly Lao? There must be a lot of good Airbnb recommendations knocking around in peoples' heads here from the last couple of months. I'm due a holiday in the next month or two after six months of seven day weeks! Love the look of Cork down around Glandore/Unionhall
                                                                      Yeah, it's her Dad's primary residence but he also has a bolthole in Dublin so he splits his time up a bit between the two. We've been down there loads with him before but mainly just for a long weekend. When we're planning on doing a week, we discreetly suss out when he's going to be in Dublin and then head west

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                        Lao Lao, after you told me last week you were out west, I said fuck it and headed home to the parents house for the weekend. It wasnt anything like your week but pure bliss all the same. Knocked off work early Friday and hit the road. Few cans and watched the match with the aul lad Friday evening,

Drove for Dingle with the sister when I woke up on Saturday and had a swim in the hidden gem that is Binn Bán, a small cove and I had it completely to myself which was fantastic after we drove past Inch and it was wedged. Thanked my luck that not many know about it. I didnt want to leave but it was getting cold. Into Dingle then for fish n chips and a few pints in Murphys and decided to take a boat trip as one was leaving just as we were walking past. The bastard fungie wasnt playing ball though, still a mighty day to be out in the harbour bobbing around. Left the house at midday and got home some time after 10pm so a great day was had.

Woke up Sunday to climb Mangerton with the brother and our mother had a fry up on so we demolished that and headed on. A gorgeous day for a climb but very cloudy at the top. Still, a nice lunch by the Devils Punchbowl and smashing views back towards Killarney and over Torc, the lakes etc. After that it was home for a shower and hit the road back to Meath arriving about 7.30 last night. A cracking weekend which I'm hoping to do more after missing those trips so much during lockdown.

Yeah, out of the five swims we had, we had 3 to ourselves and another one to ourselves for about 15 minutes until a group of five girls came along and got in about 500 metres away from us. Dog's Bay & Gurteen are probably the two most popular out that way but like you said, when you know a few secluded ones, it's great.

The niece was down at Torc and Dingle over the weekend - Only found out via Instagram but she got to see Fungie who came alongside their boat - He must be Fungie Mark 5 by this stage?

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Yeah, out of the five swims we had, we had 3 to ourselves and another one to ourselves for about 15 minutes until a group of five girls came along and got in about 500 metres away from us. Dog's Bay & Gurteen are probably the two most popular out that way but like you said, when you know a few secluded ones, it's great.

The niece was down at Torc and Dingle over the weekend - Only found out via Instagram but she got to see Fungie who came alongside their boat - He must be Fungie Mark 5 by this stage?
                                                                          Ha. Yeah, its gas listening to the lads giving their spiel and the tourists lapping it up. I got a few nods and a wink off him while he was mid speech about fungie and other folklore. All good fun. We dont get over to Galway as much as we would like. She has family in Clare so we usually go either there or Kerry. Cant complain really tbf.

Comment

Since you mention the niece was in Dingle and torc, dont suppose she or her friends drives a Kia that she had trouble with by any chance?

Comment

I've been to Dingle so many times however I've never seen Fungee or fungee replicants. The last time I was in Doolin I took at boat to see the cliffs from a new angle for a change and two fungees were alongside the boat Some goon got overly excited and annoying was yelling and ranting . 2 of them LOOK over there , there they ARE WOW etc etc. . YEP it was ME .
                                                                              PSV would have had a field day

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Take this sentence, which I've changed the first and last word of to make it make a wee bit more sense:

"forecasting was one of the original focus of finance"

That's bad grammar, isn't it? maybe something like foci instead of focus? 'foci' seems a wee bit pretentious though.
                                                                                    focuses

Comment

Take this sentence, which I've changed the first and last word of to make it make a wee bit more sense:

"forecasting was one of the original focus of finance"

That's bad grammar, isn't it? maybe something like foci instead of focus? 'foci' seems a wee bit pretentious though.
                                                                                      the more pretentious the better

Comment

Drove for Dingle with the sister when I woke up on Saturday and had a swim in the hidden gem that is Binn Bán, a small cove and I had it completely to myself which was fantastic after we drove past Inch and it was wedged. Thanked my luck that not many know about it. .
                                                                                        I know that cove lovely spot but its a really dangerous spot for swimming. It is maybe OK for about 10M right inside the cove but once you get out past the rocks its really easy to get sucked in or carried out by the enormous tidal flow that moves through the narrow mouth into Dingle harbour. Especially dangerous then the tide is ebbing IMO

Comment

What sort of a hike is Mangerton in terms of time and difficulty?

Comment

Anyone know what movie this is from?

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

Interesting one. My kid had his covid test last week and proved negative. Now it turns out a 2nd child in his class has a positive test so he now has to get tested again. FFS this thing is escalating again. Our kid hasn't been to school since and has another 10 days off school.

In other news Zantac is a miracle pill for heartburn

Comment

really good video imo
                                                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Current view of where im
                                                                                                  staying. I'd say approx 10 guests here that's, one pool, same at other pool easily 150 if not more apartments here . It's fab here, have to wear mask everywhere on to the beach included. Thought would be horrific but it's not a problem at all. I'm coming here, a good few years. A good few places have closed their doors for good. Zero active cases here in corralejo.! The beach is fucking amazing.
                                                                                                  Screenshot_20200914_190218.jpg IMG_20200914_185301_192.jpg
                                                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

I know that cove lovely spot but its a really dangerous spot for swimming. It is maybe OK for about 10M right inside the cove but once you get out past the rocks its really easy to get sucked in or carried out by the enormous tidal flow that moves through the narrow mouth into Dingle harbour. Especially dangerous then the tide is ebbing IMO
                                                                                                    Yes, things could go from handy to struggling very fast. I was standing in knee deep water and when the waves were coming in I was jumping up and they were still going over my head, I'm 6ft tall so waves must have been 8/9ft at least. I never go out too far for the exact reasons you mentioned and just swam from side to side which was fine. I did get out of the water a few times for a rest. One time I could feel myself actually being pulled further when the water was going out than the waves were pushing me in so said fuck it and got out for a few minutes.

Sister was asking me about jumping in and I told her not to bother unless she was absolutely 100% comfortable. I'm a decent swimmer and like to think I keep a close eye on things and rely on "feel" when I'm in the water. Have had 2 friends die from drowning so I have the utmost respect for the water.

I have never been out as far as the rocks, never mind out past them and I dont plan to. You're in the Atlantic once you go past them and getting dunked out of my kayak on my last trip down was enough to satisfy that curiosity

Comment

What sort of a hike is Mangerton in terms of time and difficulty?
                                                                                                      I suppose that depends. For me its handy, I'd imagine it would be no bother to yourself either. There is an easily followed trail the whole way up to the top and it's pretty hard to go wrong. Even yesterday, when we were approaching Devils Punchbowl, the cloud was down and visibility very low but still fine once you just followed the trail and kept your bearings. In some parts the trail goes off in different directions to eventually come out at the same spot but that's in the lower half of the mountain and wouldnt pose any problems at all. I think it took us 90 minutes to get to the top and that was with a few stops for a water break and we were really going at our leisure. I'll send you a few photos there to show the difference between ground level and the summit.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                                        Current view of where im
                                                                                                        staying. I'd say approx 10 guests here that's, one pool, same at other pool easily 150 if not more apartments here . It's fab here, have to wear mask everywhere on to the beach included. Thought would be horrific but it's not a problem at all. I'm coming here, a good few years. A good few places have closed their doors for good. Zero active cases here in corralejo.! The beach is fucking amazing.
                                                                                                        Screenshot_20200914_190218.jpg IMG_20200914_185301_192.jpg
                                                                                                        You still off work altogether given the extra 2 weeks you'll have to stay at home when you get back?

Comment

Some zingers by Ed Miliband at Johnson in the HOC today. Doesn't mean anything in the greater scheme of things but nice to seem him squirm.

Comment

Lockdown is making me fat. Anyway I made a tiramisu.

Also Andy the vegan magnums are two packs for €4 in Tesco.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

You still off work altogether given the extra 2 weeks you'll have to stay at home when you get back?
                                                                                                              No went back to work for 2 weeks then obv had this, booked. Have to self qaurentine for 2 weeks when back. Won't be a problem. Spent 5 months barely leaving my bedroom anyway.
                                                                                                              Tesco online shop. Plenty Tonic and ice to go with the duty free. Should be grand
                                                                                                              Her sky-ness
                                                                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

Since you mention the niece was in Dingle and torc, dont suppose she or her friends drives a Kia that she had trouble with by any chance?
                                                                                                                No, just her and her boyfriend down there - What happened with the Kia?

Comment

I think that's mad Michelle, I don't think any beach or bit of sunshine is worth not being able to leave your gaff for two weeks.

Tough to say goodbye to the few bob and all but feck that.
                                                                                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Got the mail from work there, officially not back in the office until March 1st 2021 at least
                                                                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                                      Got the mail from work there, officially not back in the office until March 1st 2021 at least
                                                                                                                      June for us. I've no intention of ever going back.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                        Some zingers by Ed Miliband at Johnson in the HOC today. Doesn't mean anything in the greater scheme of things but nice to seem him squirm.
                                                                                                                        Zingers alright.

Ed Miliband challenges Boris Johnson to explain how the internal market bill would protect Northern Ireland from the threat of a potential food blockade that...

Comment

The body language of Boris there.

Not that it'll make a difference of course.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X