This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Tik fucking Tok is the yardstick for entertainment now?
    If you're interested in what's happening now and in the future then yes. It's already had a big impact on the music industry.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Found her pretentious and annoying tbh. Prefer my rappers not to be middle class kids with doctor parents and sociology graduates.
      Haha oof! I've never heard an interview with her or any knowledge on her background but she has some good tracks imo
      airport, lol

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Found her pretentious and annoying tbh. Prefer my rappers not to be middle class kids with doctor parents and sociology graduates.
          What's wrong with middle class kids doing RAP . Raouls daughter is a big fan of 50 cents

Comment

Comment

. Prefer my rappers not to be middle class kids with doctor parents and sociology graduates.
              That's a very narrowminded attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

It is probably the most important trade deal that will be negotiated for Ireland in out lifetimes and will impact our economy for decades. The new commissioner may have a huge swing for the positive and do a much better job than hogan so we could end up much better off. Again we wont ever really be able to say either way but it seems like we have given up a potential advantage for twitter likes.
                This is absolute nonsense. It's important that high profile politicians follow the public health rules - if they don't it means the public won't either. This means lives saved or lost, not twitter likes. It's a very unwise train of though to start allowing politicians to bend the rules because the work they do is so important.

Comment

Haha, one of those TikTok lads (Tom I think is his name) did a bit of video work that I was helping out on last year. You couldn't meet a sounder and more enthusiastic fella.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                    Their algorithm is ridic smart. Within a few hours of watching you have a tailored tv channel precisely to what you like. But the algorithm is also creative enough that it's always trying to introduce new things, so you don't get stagnation. That's how they initially became famous in China (well still are), with an AI driven news app that learns what news you might be interested in and tailors your news offering accordingly.
                    The ultimate dopamine fix. Do you think you would have reached PHD level if all this distraction was available to you back at the starting gun ? It must be extra difficult on the new generation of Hitches .

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                      More of this. Puts Trump on the back foot.

Doesn't matter if it's true or not, when you're explaining, you're losing.
                      It's crazy stuff like this that makes me think if Trump loses he will end up in Jail. It's antithetical to things every American, republican or democrat believe in. He won't have any sympathy or friends to protect him if he loses, and there are several criminal investigations already underway.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III
                        Quality Street watch a blank in Tesco.

It's a bit like looking for the groundhog.
                        You need to brush up on your reading skills

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

I have checked with my contact (store manager in Tesco)

He says and I quote;

"Tubs are 100% seasonal. Thought maybe the cartons are all year round but checked the app and can't find any Tesco to stock them. The tubs are due to arrive in stores from 9th Sept. On offer at €7 a tub"

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

The ultimate dopamine fix. Do you think you would have reached PHD level if all this distraction was available to you back at the starting gun ? It must be extra difficult on the new generation of Hitches .
                          I don’t think Hitch was ever short of a distraction or two.

Comment

Hitches horse already fallen Mairead McGuinness and Andrew McDowell named as Ireland's nominees to replace Phil Hogan as EU Commissioner https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/202...ssion-vacancy/
                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

That's a very narrowminded attitude.
                              The Beastie Boys spring to mind as one obvious example of upper middle class proponents that were pretty much universally respected.

Often the middle classes have brought an 'art school' sensibility to popular music, specifically rock 'n' roll. Not sure how that applies to hip-hop, either historically or in the present day but I'm sure, especially in the early days, there had to have been plenty of college kids involved though how cutting edge they were I couldn't say. Curious though.

Comment

O'Briens Sept Wine Sales looks to be fairly decent

Meerlust 2016 down to €34.95
                                A 'Tuesday' Bordeaux for €9
                                Couple of Spanish Albarino's ranging from €11 - €13
                                Rioja Reserva down from €34 to €17
                                Sancerre down (I think) from €24 to €16
                                Decent Bordeaux down from €30 to €22

were the main ones I noticed but they've about 100 wines half price and lots of others with anything from 2 to 10 quid off

Comment

You need to brush up on your reading skills

I just skim your posts tbh
                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Comment

I've only heard the one track 'Say My Name' and know absolutely nothing else about her. It sounds great but I'm certain she's either great craic and doesn't take herself or how people pronounce her name at all seriously or shes a grade one monumental pain in the hole that you wouldn't want to share air with.
                                      Thought I might wait to hear some more sounds before trying to figure that out but thank you for saving me that trial
                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Apropos of nothing notably except he's a singer from, I think, a middle class background. Was watching a stupid show a few months ago called King of the Nerds. Ten nerds battle it out to see who is the ultimate nerd. Each week a celebrity who is slightly nerdy came on to judge who should win and who should go home. E.g. that girl from Big Bang Theory who actually has a physics PhD, or the Spock gay asian guy. The show is big on the contestants worshipping whatever nerdy celebrity comes on - they all want to be like the celebrity etc.

One week it's the turn of Moby and it doesn't quite work out like that. And I don't know he managed to do it, but absolutely everyone of these meek kids eventually arrived at the thought of - fuck you Moby, you awful little prick. Just seemed notable that even these people with no social skills had the exact same thoughts as the rest of the world that there's nobody worst than Moby.
                                        His public image really took a nose dive since he released his book. I find it hard to listen to REM these days because of it.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                          The Beastie Boys spring to mind as one obvious example of upper middle class proponents that were pretty much universally respected.
                                          Drake famously “Started from the bottom”. However the bottom was apparently a middle class Jewish family in Canada.

Kayne West’s mother Dr/PhD head of English at some top university. He attended a private art academy and receive a college scholarship - that he dropped out of.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

I've only heard the one track 'Say My Name' and know absolutely nothing else about her. It sounds great but I'm certain she's either great craic and doesn't take herself or how people pronounce her name at all seriously or shes a grade one monumental pain in the hole that you wouldn't want to share air with.
                                            Thought I might wait to hear some more sounds before trying to figure that out but thank you for saving me that trial
                                            Judging musics worth by the artist's parents socio-economic status has to be the worst way of judging music I've ever heard of, but basing your opinion on what hotspur thinks might be worse.

She only has 4 songs released, of which 2 are great. It would take you twenty minutes to make your own mind up.

Comment

A tenuous link indeed but the hip hop tikiitty tok reminded me of this from the great Billy Connolly

Comment

Judging musics worth by the artist's parents socio-economic status has to be the worst way of judging music I've ever heard of, but basing your opinion on what hotspur thinks might be worse.
                                                He can obviously speak for himself but I imagine hotspurs comment was a small bit tongue in cheek.
                                                airport, lol

Comment

She only has 4 songs released, of which 2 are great. It would take you twenty minutes to make your own mind up.

https://open.spotify.com/artist/2Vjv...SR2oGkjuhsn-0A
                                                  c35.gif

Comment

Often the middle classes have brought an 'art school' sensibility to popular music, specifically rock 'n' roll. Not sure how that applies to hip-hop, either historically or in the present day but I'm sure, especially in the early days, there had to have been plenty of college kids involved though how cutting edge they were I couldn't say. Curious though.

These days Hip Hop is by far the dominant art form - every gender, sexuality & background is represented, which is a massive improvement.

I actually have a spotify playlist of some of my favourite hip hop of the last year or so that might be of some interest to some people here.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4T...Qs2lQmTFvn4rug

It leans towards the harder end of the spectrum.

Comment

Comment

These days Hip Hop is by far the dominant art form - every gender, sexuality & background is represented, which is a massive improvement.

I actually have a spotify playlist of some of my favourite hip hop of the last year or so that might be of some interest to some people here.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4T...Qs2lQmTFvn4rug

It leans towards the harder end of the spectrum.
                                                        I wouldn't even classify a lot of those artists as hip hop. Shitty trap beats. Give me some classic sounding beats reminiscent of the golden era anyway. There's still some good stuff being made without having to listen to the likes of jpegmafia.
                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Comment

I had an unwelcome rub up against the job market these last few months. Might be of interest to some in the same boat or possibly facing into it.

I was unexpectedly made redundant in mid-June as an expected investment in the company dried up. So I set myself a target of applying for an average of one job a day and a interviewing for one job per week.

So in 10 weeks I applied for 123 roles (an average of just over 1.5 jobs per day) and got interviews for 13 or about 10%. Jobs all had product, content or e-commerce in the title. Probably half those I was either over or under qualified for so knew I was unlikely to get an interview but still applied as you simply never know what will happen if a human sees your profile.

Things were slow to start as I slogged through a bunch of backlog jobs which may have been on job sites for quite a while. These were largely useless, 'thanks but no thanks' but I did score one part-time freelance writing job which kept me interested and sharpened my skills a little.

However by mid-July the market seemingly took an outrageous turn and relevant jobs flooded in for me with regular interviews and good feedback with which to work.

In the end I was at final stage for 4 roles this week (and had two first stage interviews yesterday as well) and the one I accepted (back into content marketing for a fintech product company) had first mover advantage.

Most annoyingly, just over one-third of those I submitted an application too responded either with a 'thanks but no thanks' or an interview offer. The others were pig ignorant fucks where you were luck to receive an automated 'we received your application but we'll only be in touch if we could be bothered'.

Anyway, it all ended well but the message to anyone in a similar boat is just keep plugging away. It's a numbers game. Just as an example, I was told by one recruiter not to be concerned if I saw 150 people had applied for a role on LinkedIn as straight away you could discount half of those as speculative non visa holders with zero chance and half of the other half would be speculative no-hopers wholly unsuited to the role. Seemed to be about right in the end.

So the nipper starts school tomorrow and I start back to work from home next week and while the virus is obviously a pile of shite I can't say I won't miss the time I had to hang out with the young fella, teaching him to cycle, splashing in the sea at Donegal, watching The Rubbish World of Dave Spud and teaching him about how Arthur and Ray were actually the best Minder over Arthur and Terry. He's still having none of it and can't get his head around why Terry left.

Glad I was able to make the best of a bad lot.

Nice post.

I've no real idea what I'm gonna do job wise as I've been pretty much doing photography for 10 years which has meant I've not had to interview for jobs, got signed up for jobs.ie and just getting bombarded with emails everyday for all types of stuff, one today was for a job in Apple in Cork.

My head is melted from it all.
                                                            "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Am I right in thinking there are no recycling bins on the streets of Dublin and what lunatic made that crazy decision? On street litter tends to be particularly recyclable - paper, cans, plastics, but I've been struggling to see even a single recycling bin anywhere.
                                                              This baffles me all the time. Between that and not implementing the win win system in most other countries where bums can collect a few empties to make some small money rather than begging and help clean up streets/recycle in the process.

But then again look who's in charge. Our minister for health was on the radio discussing whether a toasted cheese sandwich was a substantial meal rather than focus his energy on getting direct provision testing, airport testing up and running, health service capacity for the winter, or the countless other things that could be done. We have a dail full of primarily clowns
                                                              airport, lol

Comment

What price was Andrew McDowell

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

Cheers.

We're still booked in for November. Hopeful it'll be alright as there's only 14 guests
                                                                  Excellent sir, wishing you all the best for the day.
                                                                  "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Tik fucking Tok is the yardstick for entertainment now?
                                                                    Screenshot 2020-09-04 at 15.27.10.png​​

Comment

I was not expecting that a random click on a link would end up in what is an instant entry to my top ten favourite video clips of all time. Genius.
                                                                      Haha yeah, it really deserves a direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

I wouldn't even classify a lot of those artists as hip hop. Shitty trap beats. Give me some classic sounding beats reminiscent of the golden era anyway. There's still some good stuff being made without having to listen to the likes of jpegmafia.
                                                                        450?cb=20180908193511.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                          I watched Midnight Run again last night. What a great fun movie that is . If it passed you by , you have missed out.
                                                                          Classic!. Must watch that again. Just remember he grinded DeNiros gears as he was always got the better of him!.
                                                                          Reading that brought to mind 'The Last Detail' Jack Nicholson and although 15 years older I remember it being another good movie of a similar ilk. Not sure how it lasts the test of time.

Comment

Comment

My niece (who may or may not be a good judge of character) was 'gofer*' for a few of the acts including Chaila at one of those tv shows, and thought she was great, least demanding of all the acts to work for and almost apologetic when she needed something.

* Food, transport, directions, class c drugs, usual stuff.

Comment

Haha, fair.
                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post

Nice post.

I've no real idea what I'm gonna do job wise as I've been pretty much doing photography for 10 years which has meant I've not had to interview for jobs, got signed up for jobs.ie and just getting bombarded with emails everyday for all types of stuff, one today was for a job in Apple in Cork.

Best of luck whatever you fall into D. Would the photography still be the long term goal once this stuff is all over?

Comment

He can obviously speak for himself but I imagine hotspurs comment was a small bit tongue in cheek.
                                                                                    It was a small bit tongue in cheek alright. But HJ is confusing my rating someone's ability as a rapper based on their socio-economic status with my preference for what kind of rap I wish to listen to. My introduction to rap was gangsta rap, and I always preferred rap that was raw and an art form from the streets. I don't want to listen to rap about middle class issues. Nor do I want to listen to vacuous rap lyrics with happy people dancing around, which means I don't listen to a lot of other rap. I like it as an outsider underdog art form.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post

Classic!. Must watch that again. Just remember he grinded DeNiros gears as he was always got the better of him!.
                                                                                      Reading that brought to mind 'The Last Detail' Jack Nicholson and although 15 years older I remember it being another good movie of a similar ilk. Not sure how it lasts the test of time.
                                                                                      Di niro was good but the Duke stole the movie . Have the DVD but still had to watch it on the TV.

Comment

It was a small bit tongue in cheek alright. But HJ is confusing my rating someone's ability as a rapper based on their socio-economic status with my preference for what kind of rap I wish to listen to. My introduction to rap was gangsta rap, and I always preferred rap that was raw and an art form from the streets. I don't want to listen to rap about middle class issues. Nor do I want to listen to vacuous rap lyrics with happy people dancing around, which means I don't listen to a lot of other rap. I like it as an outsider underdog art form.
                                                                                        YoYo , I follow the Buddha , he’s like my preachy brother, but every soul has link to me , we all got the same history.
                                                                                        I’ll shoot chants at you but not to kill you, I just want to fill you , to instil in you, every virtue you can achieve,
                                                                                        Kurt Cobain was a lad insane but like me we need Nirvana not just the name, let me enlighten you , don’t let no god frighten you,
                                                                                        Ah feck this, I’m gonna wreck this, Buddhism too hard, I’m giving back my card – STAN.
                                                                                        ( Me cokes gone warm, I wonder why I got out of bed at all)

Comment

Wha? Not even Arrested Development? Surely they are an exception

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf40XF3EIuI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGusP7aCCYc

Ice cold killa m8, wouldnt have called it

edit: do i have to do more than remove the s from the url for youtbe vid now?
                                                                                          Last edited by eamonhonda; 04-09-20, 15:10.
                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

...
                                                                                            Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 04-09-20, 16:38.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post

Nice post.

I meant to say this before, but I think you would be a lot happier in the long run if you stayed in photography rather than working in customer service for poker. Photography is a tough market, but you have ten years of experience and (I assume) plenty of free time now and good equipment. Get on social media and start creating a presence in other areas than poker, do a few weddings for free/cheap etc, basically start grinding. If you speak to your local enterprise center you can get a mentoring session for free.

Comment

Dylan . The 1st Rap ? Easy to hip hop this .

Comment

What modern hip hop are you into?

Comment

O'Briens Sept Wine Sales looks to be fairly decent

Meerlust 2016 down to €34.95
                                                                                                    A 'Tuesday' Bordeaux for €9
                                                                                                    Couple of Spanish Albarino's ranging from €11 - €13
                                                                                                    Rioja Reserva down from €34 to €17
                                                                                                    Sancerre down (I think) from €24 to €16
                                                                                                    Decent Bordeaux down from €30 to €22

were the main ones I noticed but they've about 100 wines half price and lots of others with anything from 2 to 10 quid off

the rioja reserva is now 95c cheaper than the supermarket here..you guys are getting screwed
                                                                                                    Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Wha? Not even Arrested Development? Surely they are an exception

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf40XF3EIuI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGusP7aCCYc

Ice cold killa m8, wouldnt have called it

edit: do i have to do more than remove the s from the url for youtbe vid now?
                                                                                                      You might enjoy Little Sims Eamon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh8Q2iytzns

She has an incredible flow and the beats she uses have a pretty timeless feel.

Unfortunately I couldn't recommend her to hotspur as I'm not sure what her Dad does.

Comment

Had to go into work today to pick up a laptop on the slightly dubious grounds that its better for everyone that I work on their dodgy centrally sourced dell than my own perfect laptop. Hadn't previously been past around Grafton Street (we've been quarantined until last Saturday). It's actually looking fine - the city. Lovely in fact. Shocking to see a big hole in the ground where The Screen Cinema used to be. Although it was an absolute kip of a cinema despite also being very friendly. LUASes flying through O'Connell street. Nice new buildings everywhere. It all looks very nice.

One small niggle. It's a bit surprising just how many derelict buildings there are. Like its an unusually high number for any city, and especially for a wealthy city where redeveloped property would surely be highly profitable. Like the pub that was in The Snapper movie - that's been abandoned for absolutely ages, no?
                                                                                                        Anyone know what the story is with the building site extended over the street near lush? At the bottom of Grafton St, opposite the provost's house.

Comment

Bumped into tylerdurden94 close to home this afternoon. Really didn't think it was him, as I mostly associate him with the city centre, and he didn't even have a camera hanging off his neck.

Comment

Said it before, People not in their teens with TikTok accounts should be on a watchlist

Comment

As much as I love a conspiracy theory, this took me by surprise

Comment

All those tracks are hiding in the shadow of My Name, Duel Citizen sounds next best and has something interesting to say but TBH it works better as a podcast than a choon

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                                                  Bumped into tylerdurden94 close to home this afternoon. Really didn't think it was him, as I mostly associate him with the city centre, and he didn't even have a camera hanging off his neck.
                                                                                                                  No showmanship.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                                    Said it before, People not in their teens with TikTok accounts should be on a watchlist
                                                                                                                    We're all on a watchlist. Not even sure if it's logical to try and reduce ones exposure anymore. Just don't think my onlyfans will take off.

Comment

...

Comment

Haha yeah, it really deserves a direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
                                                                                                                        Adam Buxton is really funny, he's been on 8 out of 10 cats does Countdown a few times. Always wacky funny.
                                                                                                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

When Pop fucking popped

​​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X