Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FFS, went to fix myself some lunch and came back to discover dog had left a steaming pile of diarrohea on the floor of my office. Bet she's a Trump supporter and was showing her disdain for my wagering.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
        Lumping on Biden is an emotionally unbalanced bet. I would rather lump on Trump rather than face both another Trump term and a losing lumpage bet at the same time.

It can be quite an emotional experience who wins the American Presidency. From being very down, bewildered, and pessimistic at George W. winning it over Gore when I was living in the Middle East, to being joyful, proud, and optimistic when my hero Obama won it when I was sharing an apartment in America with a black woman.

Biden winning it this year would be relief more than anything else, and optimism too as I think decency tends to prevail. Trump winning would make me despair for for the short term future of politics in the world. Even though I understand that's reading more into the situation in some ways than is warranted given the system. But I believe that Americans will do the right thing, and there is no reason to dislike Biden as much as many did Hillary Clinton.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

That looks very nice with the link to an official cert. Is it well delivered? This Toronto course on Python is famously amazingly delivered. A thing of joy: https://www.coursera.org/learn/learn-to-program
            It's my first time doing any online course, so nothing really to compare it to. Most of the content is lifted from the videos in that Udemy course DP posted, that and other more general stuff from microsoft. It was free to do anyway, and a free token to do that MTA test.
            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
              PS can a newbie to a whatsapp group see the old messages? Asking for a friend....
              nope

Comment

https://www.sololearn.com/ - great starting point for anyone learning to code.

Comment

I may have linked this before here but out of everything available to start learning to code online, I think it is way ahead of everything. Mainly down to the fact that it does an assessment at the end of each section which is a piece of code that is automatically graded by a bot that doesn't let you move on without a certain score. It means you get constant and direct feedback as you work through the course. Anyone who finishes this course will have a really good starting base. It is all free and you just need to set up the environment as per the instructions to get access to the grading tool.

Helsingin yliopiston kaikille avoin ja ilmainen ohjelmoinnin perusteet opettava verkkokurssi. Kurssilla perehdytään nykyaikaisen ohjelmoinnin perusideoihin sekä ohjelmoinnissa käytettävien työvälineiden lisäksi algoritmien laatimiseen. Kurssille osallistuminen ei vaadi ennakkotietoja ohjelmoinnista.
                  Last edited by Opr; 03-09-20, 15:16.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

It's my first time doing any online course, so nothing really to compare it to. Most of the content is lifted from the videos in that Udemy course DP posted, that and other more general stuff from microsoft. It was free to do anyway, and a free token to do that MTA test.
                    Ive done that exam

It's not hard difficult but it is very hard timewise

38-40 questions in 45 minutes and if yer unlucky like me you get 38 long questions (it's supposed to be a mix of long and short)

Questions aren't any harder btw just time burners

Doesn't leave much time and the practice exams are way easier so it was a shock how little time I had (I've done an MTA before and was finished in 25 minutes)

I ran out of time, didn't answer 6-7 and still passed (pass is 70%) so even with the time constraints it was ok

id say really learn the stuff, understanding it is easy but makes the questions a bit harder

Good thing, if you take my advice is... You will learn the stuff and be advanced of the exam by time you get to it

Comment

Masters data science guy that I hired started on Tuesday. Smashing it out of the park already, he had prototype dashboards designed by Tuesday evening lol
                      Don't care if he makes my managerial life hell, he untangled something in an hour this afternoon that had 2 of our directors and finance guy chasing their tails through spreadsheets for a month.
                      His masters and degree focused on R, is there a transition course to pivot from that to Python?
                      Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                      https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Will pick up python in no time if he's good at R.
                        Pandas <=> tibble / data.frame

Comment

A fun read. If Trump Is alive this time next year I'll be very surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

I'm nearly finished A Gentleman in Moscow, I'll give it a week or two to settle in after I'm finished before I comment but I've got more notes and questions than I usually do from a novel.

I almost gave up before it stopped being an adult Enid Blyton and started being quite wonderful but I suspect there is too much of it underpinned by a yearning for the days before the revolution.
                            How far do I have to go before I get to that?

Comment

Comment

The datacamp python course is absolutely brilliant. It's a much better way to learn than watching videos on Coursera. I did both. https://www.datacamp.com/courses/int...r-data-science

Comment

@Hitch, did your Fr Ted stamps arrive? It's the only time I ever got a 'first day cover' and really liked the postmark of 'The holy stone of Clonrichert'.

Comment

Quality Street watch a blank in Tesco.

It's a bit like looking for the groundhog.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                      Quality Street watch a blank in Tesco.

It's a bit like looking for the groundhog.
                                      Afraid you'd come out in a rash if you went to Aldi? (like I do when I go on the Northside)

Comment

David Graeber died today, the man behind Occupy Wall St's "We are the 99 percent".

You can read a wonderful article of his here: https://thebaffler.com/salvos/of-fly...rate-of-profit

Which is very interesting, as he makes exactly the same arguments as Peter Thiel, about the lack of technological innovation over the last 50 years, but comes to very different conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Afraid you'd come out in a rash if you went to Aldi? (like I do when I go on the Northside)
                                          no, I was just curious as opposed to actually wanting QS.

I suspect your Aldi sighting may have been a freak pallet. Kinda like the Marie Celeste.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Farther than I got. I stopped when the protagonist was sneaking around the hotel with a young girl.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                              the lack of technological innovation over the last 50 years
                                              The what in the what now

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Farther than I got. I stopped when the protagonist was sneaking around the hotel with a young girl.
                                                I'm a bit beyond that, finding it fairly tedious. So far it's like The Leopard for dunces.

Comment

That's the core relationship in the entire book.

Except for the cat perhaps.

Comment

A good bit further than that, it picked up in book 3 the end of which is a tour de force that has carried me me through to the finale where its tailing off a bit.

As I say I'll reserve judgment until I've finished and let it sink in for a while but am a bit confused by Hitch and RDIII being so absolutely wrong about it setting in time and place being irrelevant

Comment

As you're there, have a garden now so I'd like to start thinking about growing some vegetables. I presume there isn't much worth doing at this time of year - any suggestions for reading material or whatever to get my ducks in a row for the new year?

Comment

I'm a bit beyond that, finding it fairly tedious. So far it's like The Leopard for dunces.
                                                        Oh that's an interesting comparison that points straight at my difficulty with it. It kind of turns into a kind of fun romp that works when you stop expecting it to be in the same league as The Leopard

Comment

As you're there, have a garden now so I'd like to start thinking about growing some vegetables. I presume there isn't much worth doing at this time of year - any suggestions for reading material or whatever to get my ducks in a row for the new year?

Put a few broad bean seeds in pots during this month , its a great place to start Pick a dwarf variety like the Sutton 20 seeds to get 12 healthy plants and you will have an amazing crop in May.

You could pick up a few winter cabbage and purple sprouting broccoli plants at a garden center if you have a bed ready for them or if you are swinging by this way I could give you a couple of plants.
                                                          You might get away with sowing a few hardier lettuce and radish if its a warm autumn, better to sow some corn salad and purslane seeds that will give you loads of nice greens in early spring if its well sheltered

Preparing beds is the big thing , look at Charles Dowding's you tube channel for great advice and his obsession with the no dig method, You'll need access to loads of manure I don't use it but it seems a great way to start.

start a compost heap and put all non cooked kitchen waste paper garden waste etc in it, save you buying it back from the lads who take your green bin next year!

My biggest failing is that I try to do too much stuff ,keep it simple and within the time you will have available.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                            David Graeber died today, the man behind Occupy Wall St's "We are the 99 percent".

You can read a wonderful article of his here: https://thebaffler.com/salvos/of-fly...rate-of-profit

Which is very interesting, as he makes exactly the same arguments as Peter Thiel, about the lack of technological innovation over the last 50 years, but comes to very different conclusions.
                                                            The absolute state of that article...

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

The absolute state of that article...
                                                              Wonderful input, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Put a few broad bean seeds in pots during this month , its a great place to start Pick a dwarf variety like the Sutton 20 seeds to get 12 healthy plants and you will have an amazing crop in May.

You could pick up a few winter cabbage and purple sprouting broccoli plants at a garden center if you have a bed ready for them or if you are swinging by this way I could give you a couple of plants.
                                                                You might get away with sowing a few hardier lettuce and radish if its a warm autumn, better to sow some corn salad and purslane seeds that will give you loads of nice greens in early spring if its well sheltered

Preparing beds is the big thing , look at Charles Dowding's you tube channel for great advice and his obsession with the no dig method, You'll need access to loads of manure I don't use it but it seems a great way to start.

start a compost heap and put all non cooked kitchen waste paper garden waste etc in it, save you buying it back from the lads who take your green bin next year!

My biggest failing is that I try to do too much stuff ,keep it simple and within the time you will have available.
                                                                Thanks friend that's a good start anyway.

Comment

The first three episodes of a new HBO show dropped online. Reviews very positive.

Comment

Comment

I got home after a few pints and decided I wanted to rewatch Stretch and bobbito - radio that saved lives. If you're a hip hop fan and haven't seen it put it on asap
                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Frank Gibney can we have more from you? If we knew all it took to get you posting again was a tenner we would have had a whip around
                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Hitch you are just wrong -tired of funding useless academics - relentless support of a position that has been explained to.you over and over again and yet you keep coming back with snarky articles about about how Barnier misses his little fwiend- maybe we should send over one of our middle academic economists to save the day armed with a few jokes (just give me and Solks a shout)

No you would rather argue every point to the death.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                            Of those 12 States, Iowa, Texas and Ohio I tend to give to Trump.

Minnesota and Nevada, I tend to give to Biden

So now we're at Trump 176 plays Biden 233 and it all comes down to:
                                                                            State EC Votes Lean Trump Lean Biden
                                                                            Arizona 11 Yes
                                                                            Florida 29 Yes
                                                                            Georgia 16 Yes
                                                                            Michigan 16 Yes
                                                                            North Carolina 15 Yes
                                                                            Pennsylvania 20 Yes
                                                                            Wisconsin 10 Yes
                                                                            it's a much bigger ask for Trump. He has to win FL and a couple of others.

There will of course be swings and I will no doubt be proved wrong all over the shop. But I'm on now anyway and feel good about it.
                                                                            Biden is the rightful favorite. But it's much closer than you suggest.
                                                                            Texas is in the lock pile for the red team.

I agree that the swing states are those 7. Plus Minnesota.

Georgia is pretty heavy favorite Trump favourite in the betting. 1/3.
                                                                            Arizona and Florida are 50/50 on some site. If they swing red, I make it 279 to 269 for the Dems. That would be my prediction now.

But the 4 weakest Dem states are;
                                                                            Michigan 16 Dem
                                                                            Minnesota 10 Dem
                                                                            Wisconsin 10 Dem
                                                                            Pennsylvania 20 Dem
                                                                            If any of them swing, it's takes away the Dem lead.
                                                                            And I'm, somewhat regrettably, funking hard for Minnesota or Wisconsin to swing red just for the sheer carnage of a 269 to 269 push.
                                                                            Last edited by Mellor; 04-09-20, 11:19.

Comment

A bit strange having no audience, but better than nothing

Comment

Ha, hadn't seen Biden's shotgun advice before. 'Murica indeed.

Comment

...

Comment

Comment

nm

Comment

Wha? Are you just randomly remembering stuff from previous days?!
                                                                                        Drunken post. Apologies.

I'm to going to hide under a pile of coats.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                          I got home after a few pints and decided I wanted to rewatch Stretch and bobbito - radio that saved lives. If you're a hip hop fan and haven't seen it put it on asap
                                                                                          Did you see the Irish hip-hop doc on RTE at 22:15 last night? I'm sure its on the player. Was pretty good.

TBH I never gave it much respect over the years but I liked Messiah J and Expert OK back in the day and DJ Mek was always a monster and the current crop - Kneecap, Kojaque, Jafaris - seem pretty dope. Seems like a great time to be into that scene.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

Did you see the Irish hip-hop doc on RTE at 22:15 last night? I'm sure its on the player. Was pretty good.

TBH I never gave it much respect over the years but I liked Messiah J and Expert OK back in the day and DJ Mek was always a monster and the current crop - Kneecap, Kojaque, Jafaris - seem pretty dope. Seems like a great time to be into that scene.
                                                                                            Not yet as was out drinking said pints! But will definitely catch on the rte player soon.
                                                                                            Irish hip hop definitely starting to find its own for sure!
                                                                                            I saw Kojaque live last year and he puts on a great show, that first album is amazing imo
                                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

...

Comment

Jaysis, Berlusconi is in hospital now with covid. Too much bunga bunga close contact.

Always used to knock good craic out of bunga bunga with Jack in the Aquarium.

Comment

In fairness, and I know I'm not the age group to be seriously commenting, but Irish TikTok is a shocking indictment of the nations ability to entertain. At least this is kinda funny and they're taking it professionally.
                                                                                                  Tik fucking Tok is the yardstick for entertainment now?

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Tik fucking Tok is the yardstick for entertainment now?
                                                                                                    Hitch has kids.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

I thought it was really good. Brought back memories of mad Scary Eire gigs back in the day. I'm going to check our some of the current rappers on it. Been listening to Strange Boy this morning as I really liked his style. Mango seemed like he has something.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Drunken post. Apologies.

I'm to going to hide under a pile of coats.

Never apologise for drunk posts. Man up and double down the next day

Comment

I thought it was really good. Brought back memories of mad Scary Eire gigs back in the day. I'm going to check our some of the current rappers on it. Been listening to Strange Boy this morning as I really liked his style. Mango seemed like he has something.
                                                                                                          Mango seems like a good guy but I don't get the hype on his music tbh. Thought the album was poor. There's guy from near me called The Wallfella that released a track the other day that sounded pretty good, he released his album today.

Denise Chaila is another to look into
                                                                                                          Last edited by eamonhonda; 04-09-20, 10:53.
                                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

I watched Midnight Run again last night. What a great fun movie that is . If it passed you by , you have missed out.

Comment

More of this. Puts Trump on the back foot.

Doesn't matter if it's true or not, when you're explaining, you're losing.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                                                                Hitch you are just wrong -tired of funding useless academics - relentless support of a position that has been explained to.you over and over again and yet you keep coming back with snarky articles about about how Barnier misses his little fwiend- maybe we should send over one of our middle academic economists to save the day armed with a few jokes (just give me and Solks a shout)

No you would rather argue every point to the death.
                                                                                                                It doesn't take an economist to know that people will do things for friends/people they respect - Hogan was positioned to make sure that during negotiations when things came down to the small details whats important to Ireland would have more weight than whats important to Poland.

Hitch for an academic understands that negotiations are about whats being traded and who is trading them. Brexit wont be negotiated between the UK and Europe its a few people who actually sit down and figure it out. Hogan may well be an arrogant bollix but this is precisely why he was able to do this job and do it well.

I cant see how people are naive enough to believe that the new commissioner if Irish automatically inherits his political capital or that the new appointee from Germany pushes for agriculture being more important to Europe over car sales to use a very broad example. The large learning curve for the new comer to get up to speed on does also weaken Europes overall position

We will be leaving money on the table because of this puritan nonsense.

Comment

Sorry thats a tad over the top - hurt my back so clearly in a bad move.

The sentiment that hitch was indeed correct stands

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                                                    Sorry thats a tad over the top - hurt my back so clearly in a bad move.

The sentiment that hitch was indeed correct stands
                                                                                                                    Seen as a drunken dinkies touted me for the role(lol ya bollix) . What actual money are we leaving on the table as a result of losing Hogan ?
                                                                                                                    biggest threat to Europe at the moment is stagflation . Sneaky stealthy hitting us in the phoca. The budget should be interesting this year . 10p on the pint but nowhere to buy one unless you add 9 euro to the price. The chicken wing industry must be flying though (PTP) .

Comment

BTW if anyone is betting on the US election with PP - Biden to win is now 5/6, while betting on Democrats in the 'winning party' market is 10/11. Unfortunately only a max bet of €50 on the latter for me, can bet higher on the Biden one.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                                        Denise Chaila is another to look into
                                                                                                                        Found her pretentious and annoying tbh. Prefer my rappers not to be middle class kids with doctor parents and sociology graduates.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Seen as a drunken dinkies touted me for the role(lol ya bollix) . What actual money are we leaving on the table as a result of losing Hogan ?
                                                                                                                          biggest threat to Europe at the moment is stagflation . Sneaky stealthy hitting us in the phoca. The budget should be interesting this year . 10p on the pint but nowhere to buy one unless you add 9 euro to the price. The chicken wing industry must be flying though (PTP) .
                                                                                                                          Thats all true and we have many threats to the pennies in our pockets but it dosnt change the fact that Hogan in Europe was better for us than not.

We cant say exactly what the difference in negotiations will be, we wont see what Hogan on the team outcome will look like. The fine details when being worked out of a trade deal will be where the margins are, a tiny part of a percentage in a place that suits us instead of another European partner will be worth a lot of the years to comes.

It is probably the most important trade deal that will be negotiated for Ireland in out lifetimes and will impact our economy for decades. The new commissioner may have a huge swing for the positive and do a much better job than hogan so we could end up much better off. Again we wont ever really be able to say either way but it seems like we have given up a potential advantage for twitter likes.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X