This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    And a second food request. Butter in shops only seems to be Kerrygold or own brand. Is there no more artisan brands of butter that are commonly available and that you've tried and found good? Barrel rolled (I think it's called) butter as a big plus.
    I thought it was generally accepted Kerrygold is the best in the land? Never have i thought of the need for an artisan butter! Im sure if you go to Fresh or Donnybrook fair or the likes theyll wrap the Kerrygold in a diff wrapper and charge you a few quid extra if it makes ya feel better haha!
    airport, lol

Comment

airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

You can't set him up on pedestal and say 'it's correct for a Minister to resign, and a broadcaster, and a leas-Cathaoirleach - but not an EU trade commissioner'.
        Arguably he has more black marks against him too. I thought the interview yesterday was very P Flynn-esque..

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

What did you do with all your playlists?

The 'thumbs up' playlist on Google is my lifeblood, is there a similar feature on Spotify? Assume there would be.
          re: playlists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOhxZDV2XMs

I didn't just say goodbye to the playlists, I learnt python last year and was working on a custom media player built around google play

Spotify has likes which work the same as thumbs up.

Comment

Not to concerned about the content but that screen reading audio widget is really good. Pronunciations are very accurate.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...erge-1.4338848
            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

And a second food request. Butter in shops only seems to be Kerrygold or own brand. Is there no more artisan brands of butter that are commonly available and that you've tried and found good? Barrel rolled (I think it's called) butter as a big plus.
              When i was living there, the big dunnes store in cabinteely sold President butter which is head and shoulders above kerrygold. It's been a while but the proximity of the French school seemed to push them to sell lots of French products not usually available elsewhere, so doubtful that's changed too much, and you might find some things you'd want.

Just back from France, and spent the last week in St malo, which is such a great place. Brought back kilos of sarasin flour, and kilos of bordier butter (probably one of the best baratte butters in the world) which is ridic good

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

mine also just arrived 6 x Rubicon, 5 x Meerlust Merlot, 2 x 2019 Midleton, 1 x 2018 Midleton.

On the topic of whiskey - I have bought 2 x Irish Whiskey lately that are trying to break into the aged/premium. 17yo O'Connell and 18yo Teeling. Both fall well below expectations. Seems buying aged casks and finishing them for 6 months in madeira casks is the approach du jour. It isn't working and the whiskey is being totally overpowered.
                  Didn't even look at the SA wines. Those prices look to be ~25% cheaper than buying local.

Lumpage on the Christmas wine market imo!
                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Arguably he has more black marks against him too. I thought the interview yesterday was very P Flynn-esque..
                    you would hope he has someone trusted who can lead him into the metaphorical room with the loaded revolver and the bottle of whiskey....

Comment

Comment

Oh there's such a difference. Genuinely mind-blowing when you try proper butter. You start by introducing cultures to the milk similar to cheese and yogurt before making the butter, adds a ridic depth of flavour that's not like any ordinary butter. I don't know what the Kerrygold process is, but it tastes like paper compared to proper butter.
                        You have me intrigued! Im assuming this is just for bread uses?

Reminds me of the seaweed butter they serve/served in asador. Man that was good
                        airport, lol

Comment

You can't set him up on pedestal and say 'it's correct for a Minister to resign, and a broadcaster, and a leas-Cathaoirleach - but not an EU trade commissioner'.
                          Should we have the Moroccan ambassador sent home? Brian Hayes fired from his job? Pat McCartan's pension removed? Donie Cassidy horsewhipped in public?

(one of the above is a great idea IMO)

It's not a 'local political kerfuffle'; it goes to the very heart of the biggest crisis of all our lifetimes and whether ordinary people can and should believe anything the government says. Per my leadership post yesterday.
                          I don't disagree but the EU rightly resisted the new Polish government's attempt to recall their Commissioner, they won't be able to do that next time if we are able to force Hogan out. The independence of the commission is at stake, and I wholly get the irony of me framing that in the context of his ability to do a job for us.

If Pascal, Leo, Simon or the only FF candidate I could imagine is Mehole can be parachuted into the trade job I'd be perfectly happy, but I think that is quite unlikely to happen and if it does it would probably be seen to compromises the commission even more deeply.

There has to be some level at which question how much are we willing to pay to have the high moral ground. Gove and Johnson must be laughing their holes off at the prospect of seeing someone else across the table next week.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                Should we have the Moroccan ambassador sent home? Brian Hayes fired from his job? Pat McCartan's pension removed? Donie Cassidy horsewhipped in public?

(one of the above is a great idea IMO)
                                <volunteers for horsewhipping duty>

I don't disagree but the EU rightly resisted the new Polish government's attempt to recall their Commissioner, they won't be able to do that next time if we are able to force Hogan out. The independence of the commission is at stake, and I wholly get the irony of me framing that in the context of his ability to do a job for us.
                                Polish situation was completely different, bunch of Putin-backed thugs trying to assert total authority over every sphere of Polish life. Commission rightly told them to GTFO.

If Pascal, Leo, Simon or the only FF candidate I could imagine is Mehole can be parachuted into the trade job I'd be perfectly happy, but I think that is quite unlikely to happen and if it does it would probably be seen to compromises the commission even more deeply.

There has to be some level at which question how much are we willing to pay to have the high moral ground. Gove and Johnson must be laughing their holes off at the prospect of seeing someone else across the table next week.
                                errr

Phil is not and never has been 'across the table' from them. You seem to think he is Michel Barnier.

Comment

Raoul is, at heart, a populist extremist:

Repeat criminals should be locked up forever.

Everyone should lose their jobs if Raoul doesn't like them.

Russia (and now China as its flava du jour) are irredeemable.

Some earlier views include:

Palestinian kids being shot dead while holidaying on a beach is probably their fault.

Ireland would never recover from the recession.

We shouldn't react to another extremist proclamation from him, but rather note with interest any time he isn't the embodiment of the raw unthinking crowd. If you will: an amoeba of reactionary emotion pulsating in reacting to the other amoebas.
                                  lol

Comment

Comment

Finding myself goosed by the property market. Moving in with my gf, we found a place we really liked so agreed to take it. I'm meant to give 3months notice on my place since I've been here so long. But it was hoped the landlord would get someone new in sooner and that would be the end of my liabilities. New place was looking for 3 months up front , agreed to two. Multiple months rent + deposit out the door. My place hasn't moved in the last few weeks. Getting funked by the tech market moving home.

Anyone looking for a place in D2?

Comment

Timex won his free throwing prop bet for a few hundred k. Went from this a few months ago, to hitting 90/100.

Comment

Went from furiously defending my beloved Kerrygold from this French attack to planning a fancy buerre shopping spree in about five posts.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Isnt the Kerrygold brand just a marketing ploy ? Mass produced factory butter from all over the country, must seek out more artisan styles.
                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                              On the topic of whiskey - I have bought 2 x Irish Whiskey lately that are trying to break into the aged/premium. 17yo O'Connell and 18yo Teeling. Both fall well below expectations. Seems buying aged casks and finishing them for 6 months in madeira casks is the approach du jour. It isn't working and the whiskey is being totally overpowered.
                                              I'd doubt Teelings bought in a aged cask for that one. Reviews weren't great, very sweet some said.
                                              I've a Teeling 17 yeat old, here, finished in Australian Red wine cask (Armagh Shiraz). The spicy red does a much better job that sweet maderia imo.
                                              The best stuff in Ireland is still coming out of Sherry casks though.

the kmwine gear just arrived.

One thing that at first glance I thought was weird; I ordered 18 bottles and indeed, 18 bottles I received. However they all arrived in one big box which was awkward to lug onto the kitchen table. Once I opened it though, I found that the wine was actually packed in these kind of yokes:
                                              images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcT3cZFbEgG2FvZf9jqjWSYtJqDfrZszk0GnVQ&amp;usqp=CAU.jpg

which might actually be really handy for future storage requirements (although bulky). Seems on balance though to be really terrible for the environment to be sending things unnecessarily packaged like this? Why not just send the wine in the usual wine boxes?
                                              I've a couple of them. Singles and doubles. Really handy for travelling with wine/whiskey if your luggage doesn't offer much protection.

Last edited by Mellor; 26-08-20, 12:25.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                Isnt the Kerrygold brand just a marketing ploy ? Mass produced factory butter from all over the country, must seek out more artisan styles.
                                                It's considered artisan in the States. Which probably says it all really

Comment

Hitch how do you get the time/energy to post so much?

I just made maybe 6 phone calls and sent off 3 contracts by email so far and needed to take a lie down with the stress of it all!!

Actually could ask RD the same Q but think HH is more in the prolific category.

Last edited by dinekes; 26-08-20, 12:34.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                    Hitch how do you get the time/energy to post so much?

I just made maybe 6 phone calls and sent off 3 contracts by email so far and needed to take a lie down with the stress of it all!!

Actually could ask RD the same Q but think HH is more in the prolific category.

Hitch is probably still in quarantine. I just have poor work discipline.

Comment

TBF, if I was in my office, you wouldn't see any of my profound and intellectual posting at all

Comment

So then why was one government website saying if you have a close contact with someone with the virus and test negative then you can go on your way. (if you haven't been abroad apartmently. A footnote not actually included on the web page).

Says here under 'test results'. : https://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...r_covid19.html
                                                        But it doesn't actually say that in one sentence as you've wrote it.

That page is mainly about people who have developed systems, or think that have COVID. GP sends them for testing. They isolate while waiting results, in case they have it.
                                                        If it comes back negative, they are good to go. As if they were incubating, they wouldn't have symptoms.

The only time it mentions close contact is when it defers to contact tracing. Presumably the people on the contact tracing team know their processes and give people clear instructions. In that case they probably have to isolate for variable times depending on what they were in contact with the diseased person. I can see why somebody might infer the above, however...

People arriving on a plane have nothing to do with the above. They have to isolate for two weeks. That's pretty straight forward. Hogan hasn't a leg to stand on.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

My GP, rang around 10:30, HSE texted 2 hours later with a time. I was seen in the evening, two others I know were seen in the afternoon.
                                                          With my GP I just asked for a test, they gave me one, no questions asked. I didn't mentioned anything but I wanted a test.
                                                          This will vary from person to person ofc.
                                                          That's interesting, it seems that GPs are varying right across the board.

We have two people out of work at the minute as a precaution both with different GPs.

1st person had headache and sort throat which is low on the HSE's list of symptoms, marked as 'Sometimes' - GP told him they weren't Covid symptoms, no test to be given but he was to isolate for 14 days. This makes no sense to me, I get the idea of isolating as a precaution but if that's the case, just do a bloody test. I now have to get this guy set up to work from home when part of his job requires him to be on site which means I have to re-jig stuff around. I went through it with HR and as the doctor instructed to isolate, we can't overrule that from a liability point of view.

2nd person said they had a bit of cold flushes/fever yesterday. GP advised the symptoms weren't strong enough to warrant a test and if they persisted or got worse, then to isolate. Otherwise, no need to do anything. So this now put us in a position where we, as his employer, have to make a judgement call on what we do with him based on if he says he's feeling better. As it tuned out, he didn't feel much better today so we gently pushed him to get onto the GP again and say symptoms still there, ahem...maybe worse and now he is getting a test today/tomorrow.

I hope (definitely funking) that neither of them have Covid as both symptoms are very mild at best but we can't take the risk of bringing them back into work and potentially infecting everybody in the place. We also need them on site as some of their job can't be done remotely. It puts us in a very tough spot of trying to make sure all staff are safe and still operate as a business. I doubt we're alone in this regard.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                            Hogan hasn't a leg to stand on.
                                                            Even more so as it emerges he wasn't quarantine-compliant before his negative test....

Comment

It's definitely a lot more difficult when some of the job demands physicality and instructions are so unclear across the board, leaving workplaces like yours in a very tough spot. It's easy for people to tell me to isolate, I can work from anywhere.

GPs ranging from me going: hey I want a test - ok, to somebody else in my class being told they had no symptoms so they don't get tested, even as a close contact (which is also wrong). The close contact teams clearly not doing a good job, none of us contacted at all. They didn't even contact my friend who was living with somebody that tested positive.

Another annoying thing would be telling people false negatives and infecting your work too.
                                                              It's a tough situation if everybody with the most common symptoms for anything (I mean I get a cough randomly sometimes, or a sore head, or any of the symptoms) means staying at home for 14 days, and I guess on the opposite side the centres would be overrun if they took everybody they should. Before this kicked off I met my brother for dinner, now he is isolating in my family home as my father is due a hip operation and just had a pacemaker put in, if I wasn't given a test, that would probably be another 10 days he'd have to stay in a room as an unknown, and everybody he's been around since (a teacher, gard appearing in court each day) would also be waiting around, a big chain of uncertainty. Not to mention all the other people I have seen and that they have seen and so on.

Now even when I expect mine to come back negative, what does it really mean? I didn't have the virus at that point in time, or it wasn't in the sample collected, or the test went wrong. Since it is a 14 day incubation, I could easily not have been active then but am now and so on. Best guessing will have to do for everybody. Also people often have to take a bus or a taxi to the centre seeing as the closedt to me is out past the airport (croke park being closed due to lack of demand?) it's such a mess.

Comment

No2 daughter works for them, all the butter is produced as the same spec and they are hugely invested in quality and consistency, the thing that confuses people is that the main gold foil packaging can contain one of three different products, salted, unsalted or lactic (cultured butter Hitch mentioned ) in different markets. In Germany it will usually be the lactic and in France the unsalted here the salted etc.

Comment

Even more so as it emerges he wasn't quarantine-compliant before his negative test....
                                                                  I'm sure he will wheel out some explanation for the simple confusion. Maybe an immigration and custom officer at the Airport said that during quarantine he had to stay inside the house.
                                                                  And as his suite in the K club was in the original wing - the former Barton House build in 1830s. So throughout his stay he remained within that House - luckily the bar and restaurant are also within the original house. At no time enter the 90s Smurfit addition - not even to use the pool. A simply misunderstanding.

Comment

Comment

Comment

My ooni is due end of September, so still waiting for it.
                                                                        Mine was due to be delivered in August, at some point it slipped to late August. Then the website changed on 15th to give the impression that orders due in August had been shipped but I got no email so tried to contact them then just to see get an update, I'd been completely relaxed and happy to wait up till whenever until then.

11 days later I'm tearing my hair out trying to just get any reply from them , absolute horrorshow of customer non service.

Finally after taking to twitter this morning I got a reply that basically amounts to 'Hi you're awesome abut not as awesome as us. Poor us we are growing so fast we can't cope', some part was hard to get so there was a delay and maybe we are ready to ship now (or maybe not ???) Oh lets see well if your order is gone to the warehouse then maybe they will send it sometime next week but thats not the kind of detail you could possibly expect us to know or to want to share with you, Hey you're an awesome person for buying off us and maybe if you don't hear from us next week we will get back to you Oh and have we told you how awesome you are '

GTFO, so pissed off with them I not sure if I really want to go ahead anymore, I suppose I might as well give them another week but fuck them and their platitude laden bullshit.

Comment

He defo played golf at K club too
                                                                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

I was going to join a debating team but someone talked me out of it.

Theres so much nudity on tv these days..I just sit there shaking my fist.

I quit my job at the helium factory..I wont be spoken to like that.

Comment

What does quarantine compliant mean?

You do know that there is no rule that you must self isolate or quarantine on coming in from Brussels yeah?

The rules we got in early July for people arriving from a non green list country were absolutely clear, no necessity to self isolate or quarantine the request was that you should restrict your movements in and around the location you had given as your address and if you had a clear covid test then you could go to work etc. We specifically asked about restaurants and were told that it was ok to visit local restaurants and cafes in up to a group from the same household which is why we waited till they were here a fortnight before all going out together.
                                                                              Last edited by Strewelpeter; 26-08-20, 15:10.

Comment

Just going to leave this here........

Over 70% of people across all socio-economic groups believed that someone who contracts Covid-19 has been careless or reckless in following public health advice, according to a survey carried out by the ESRI.
                                                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

You do know that there is no rule that you must self isolate or quarantine on coming in from Brussels yeah?
                                                                                  Belgium is not on the Green List. It has never been on the Green List. The Green List was in force since before Big Phil travelled home and began his odyssey.

So, now that we know this fact, what are you supposed to do if you enter Ireland from a country that is not on the Green List?

You are supposed to restrict your movements.
                                                                                  This includes the very simple directive
                                                                                  do not visit others
                                                                                  Big Phil has broken this all over the place, including on his very first evening in Ireland.
                                                                                  He is clearly in breach. As stated by Taoiseach, Tanaiste and numerous others (so I don't know why you're trying to argue the toss).

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                                    I was going to join a debating team but someone talked me out of it.

Theres so much nudity on tv these days..I just sit there shaking my fist.

I quit my job at the helium factory..I wont be spoken to like that.
                                                                                    Welcome to the dark side .

Comment

...

Comment

It beats fact checking and all this thought provoking stuff..

Poor little thought minding his own business in a quiet corner of my brain on his stool, occasionally leaping to his feet with finger raised in a eureka "a ha" manner only to go ..oh wait a minute..and sit back down with a confused look on his face and mumbling incoherently.
                                                                                        Last edited by dinekes; 26-08-20, 15:45.

Comment

...

Comment

Mine was due to be delivered in August, at some point it slipped to late August. Then the website changed on 15th to give the impression that orders due in August had been shipped but I got no email so tried to contact them then just to see get an update, I'd been completely relaxed and happy to wait up till whenever until then.

11 days later I'm tearing my hair out trying to just get any reply from them , absolute horrorshow of customer non service.

Finally after taking to twitter this morning I got a reply that basically amounts to 'Hi you're awesome abut not as awesome as us. Poor us we are growing so fast we can't cope', some part was hard to get so there was a delay and maybe we are ready to ship now (or maybe not ???) Oh lets see well if your order is gone to the warehouse then maybe they will send it sometime next week but thats not the kind of detail you could possibly expect us to know or to want to share with you, Hey you're an awesome person for buying off us and maybe if you don't hear from us next week we will get back to you Oh and have we told you how awesome you are '

GTFO, so pissed off with them I not sure if I really want to go ahead anymore, I suppose I might as well give them another week but fuck them and their platitude laden bullshit.
                                                                                            They pop up every now and then in an English BBQ shop, albeit at £250 for the Koda, but like you, im in no real rush either.

Cook a stone baked pizza in just 60 seconds with the Koda gas-fired outdoor pizza oven from Ooni. Easy to transport. Buy with Lakeland's 3 year guarantee.
                                                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

v31A1Tk.jpg?1.jpg
                                                                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Its only a matter of time....

This too shall pass.

Comment

Its only a matter of time....

Or even...

​https://youtu.be/qOOjyfiFI0U

He he​​​​​​

Comment

It felt slightly class using the phone to pay for something today. ty revolut. Coming from a country that waves cheque books around like they're up there on a pedestal with artificial intelligence, this feels rather cool.

Trying to pick a bank for the joint account - is KBC the bank of choice these days?
                                                                                                    KBC is a no brainer, no day to day fees, apple/google pay, you open the account online.
                                                                                                    Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

...

Comment

They pop up every now and then in an English BBQ shop, albeit at £250 for the Koda, but like you, im in no real rush either.

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/62007/Oon...name=Skimlinks
                                                                                                        Just found out that a friend who ordered the same one three weeks after I ordered mine had his delivered today.
                                                                                                        This has turned from something I was a completely relaxed about to something a bit annoying to the worst thing that has ever happened to me... FFS!

Comment

Is he gone ? ?

IT reporting he is to resign.
                                                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

You open it online indeed. But then, as it turns out, they say - now let us print out the form for you and we'll post it out to you for signing and then you post it back to us. Compared to revolut, I'm not sure they've fully optimised their account opening procedure. Committed now anyway
                                                                                                            Thats strange, is it a joint account? I opened an account with them and was fully automated, even AIB and BOI you can open an account fully automated now.
                                                                                                            Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Is he gone ? ?

IT reporting he is to resign.

Comment

He's gone...good.

Now the heat is on Woulfe but at least political house has been cleaned.

Comment

you would hope he has someone trusted who can lead him into the metaphorical room with the loaded revolver and the bottle of whiskey....
                                                                                                                  Took him much longer than it should have (so can hardly qualify as 'doing the decent thing') but political accountability is restored, we hope.

Comment

...

Comment

My sister is selling personalised sanitiser kits for kids going back to school, if anyone is in the market for it.

Going well for her so far.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Can we just send Paschal in to fill Hogan's spot?

Comment

Just watched Kildare v Donegal All Ireland QF from 2011 on Eir

I'm sure I was at the game and though I thought I remembered the final score right until added time in extra time I believed

FFS Just as painful to watch it again

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X