Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m fully on Team Big Phil, lot of disingenuousness from people who have been happy to bend the rules for themselves. Hang in their Bud

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
      I’m fully on Team Big Phil, lot of disingenuousness from people who have been happy to bend the rules for themselves. Hang in their Bud
      I hope he hangs on, and then on the first occasion he gives Ireland any smidgen of preferential treatment in a negotiation he's fired on the spot. The idea that he's 'our' commissioner because we appointed him is pure gombeenism.
      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

He's really not helping his case by (a) changing his account of his movements and (b) making up a false version of the quarantine rules that any idiot could disprove in ten seconds flat.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Somebody should remind him that he's only got a couple of years left in this gig and then he has to live in Ireland....people have long memories
          Who are ya kidding: he'll get a medal either way

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            Maybe profs are the only sane people left?

But he's wrong like (Phil) . He's actually gotten confused by the lack of clarity you claimed didn't exist. The HSE and Citizens' Info have both confirmed this.

​​​​I'm now actually confused about whether or not that tweet is supposed to suggest the advice is confusing or not? You were adamant it wasn't last week but Big Phil has misunderstood it to his detriment in a variety of ways.

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 25-08-20, 19:45.
              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Ah he's not a random dude, well to me anyway. If he's said it then that's what precisely what he was told at arrival in Dublin.
                  Taking legal advice from a Garda is one of the most retarded things a person could ever do.

Comment

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 25-08-20, 20:01.

Comment

The intention of the tweet is very clear, no? He's saying that everyone who was saying things were too confusing to understanding last week are now saying the rules are so clear that there's no way anyone at the golf event could have possibly misunderstood them. It's a comment on the crowd mentality that is changing interpretations to suit what different thing they want to do from one week to the next.
                        I'm challenging you to choose between two rocks upon which to perish.

The advice is crystal clear and Phil is a moron or the advice is clear as mud and you were talking an implausible amount of nonsense last week?

Comment

Is he not well known? I would have thought he was.
                          I've never heard of him. Has he achieved something notable?

Comment

Actually suppose there's a third one, Phil doesn't give a fiddler's fart about any of the regulations and swings in and out of counties, golf clubs and parties as and when he pleases.

Comment

The attempt to treat Big Phil like fucking Burundi has descended into legalese.

[TWEET]1298269156597329923[/ TWEET]
                              We got the same advice for people coming in and confirmed with hse website in July
                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Test done, all grand apart from the ear tip swabbing my brain for 15 seconds. They seemed to think I was cautious for even going at all.

Comment

What a horrible attitude from the cunt. If the whole country thinks your a prick, rightly or wrongly you'd take a different tone at least.
                                  His whole tone was he went by his own rules because he's smarter than everyone. Horrible show from a man who was supposed to be apologising.
                                  airport, lol

Comment

I'm sure he's a big deal in the academic world
                                    Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Likely Twitter famous which is not famous at all but posts so much he has accumulated followers. So is now perceived as someone worth listening to.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                        @the wine snobs, the €5 Malbec in your local Aldi is still the best value out there. Go on, give it a try.
                                        They also have this Australian one at the moment for €7.36.

Comment

His goose is cooked now after another statement from Mehole

Watched a really good doc in the Scannal series on TG4 about O'Daillaigh Donegan and the thundering disgrace kerfuffle of 1976 The echos to the current crisis are interesting especially on the FG FF axis

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post

I'm sure he's a big deal in the academic world
                                            Hmmm. Google says he's an associate professor.

Sounds pretty low down the academic pecking order. Hence why he presumably feels the need to boost his profile posting shite on Twitter.

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 25-08-20, 20:39.

Comment

Comment

Not that it's anything to do with him as a person now, but does illustrate what types of stories he heard growing up - his father is the politics person his surname suggests. But thought he'd be well known for his journalism rather than his publications in European Journal of Political History. Top chap in real life.
                                                  Still no name recognition (there was a good rugby player with the same name).

Don't think I have ever read an article by him. Maybe he publishes off my list of approved providers.

Comment

Comment

Des O'...
                                                      So he's a mid-level academic with a famous dad. Big deal.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Oh no. I wasn't getting at that. Just mentioned that in passing as some of the dry charm has clearly passed on. As I mentioned I was more thinking about his journalism
                                                            I don't think associate prof is really mid level.
                                                            Never read an article by him. Although Google does helpfully lead me to that rag that we agreed earlier was a steaming pile of buffalo excrement.

So he's a mid-level academic with a famous father who writes the occasional filler article for a 'newspaper' that is a sorry excuse for soiled toilet paper.

Good to know. We can now never speak of his irrelevancy again.

Comment

He's clearly not as well known as I thought! Thought he would have been. Of course probably his proudest claim to fame would be teaching Denny everything he knows about politics.
                                                              I thought he was someone off of here, as I don't follow many people on twitter. In fairness he's leagues ahead of either yourself or Lucey on the twitterbox.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Yeah, i started using Google music years ago, uploaded my entire digital collection onto it and then signed up and was able to add to that collection from googles library.

Then I've put some amount of time over the years building up playlists, for example I've a series of playlists focusing on more chilled music, anything outside heavy electronic basically, and I'm on volume 28 with 40 songs a playlist. So yeah I'm kind of committed, rebuilding that on spotify would be a nightmare

Was able to transfer the lot to youtube music, and any song thats not within their collection but is available as a youtube video can also be added to these playlists, so selection is way better now. Always a few things missing from google music/spotify. And even after that you still have the ability to upload anything thats missing.
                                                                      Yeah, I uploaded music to it years ago, but I think I just got stuck using Spotify due to it's alexa/squqeezebox setup. There should be sites for moving your playlists across, but spotify will be missing things.

Comment

Not that it's anything to do with him as a person now, but does illustrate what types of stories he heard growing up - his father is the politics person his surname suggests. But thought he'd be well known for his journalism rather than his publications in European Journal of Political History. Top chap in real life.
                                                                        He's clearly not as well known as I thought! Thought he would have been. Of course probably his proudest claim to fame would be teaching Denny everything he knows about politics.
                                                                        Yeah, he was great, Raoul would actually get on well with him. I'd say he'd be excellent for going for pints with.

He's in the FT the odd time.

Comment

Okay.

If you go on the page here:
                                                                          https://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...r_covid19.html called 'testing for covid', which you would naturally go to, it simply says, with no exclusions, that you don't need to self-isolate if you test negative. How are you expected to know that there's another page that cancels this advice if you happen to have returned from another country?
                                                                          Let's not forget he was saying all along he completed his quarantine while convalescing in Kilkenny. I suppose he meant to say he had an operation, got a COVID test and then went to Adare golfing because he didn't need to complete his quarantine.

Can't remember who but someone was definitely making a fuss about how mad it was to think he'd be lying about finishing his quarantine in KK while recovering from an operation.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

They also have this Australian one at the moment for €7.36.
                                                                            I'll have a try of it on Friday. Staff will think I'm flush, suddenly going for a pricier bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                              Test done, all grand apart from the ear tip swabbing my brain for 15 seconds. They seemed to think I was cautious for even going at all.
                                                                              Did you arrange it through your GP or privately?

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                Did you arrange it through your GP or privately?
                                                                                My GP, rang around 10:30, HSE texted 2 hours later with a time. I was seen in the evening, two others I know were seen in the afternoon.
                                                                                With my GP I just asked for a test, they gave me one, no questions asked. I didn't mentioned anything but I wanted a test.
                                                                                This will vary from person to person ofc.

Comment

Okay.

If you go on the page here:
                                                                                  https://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...r_covid19.html called 'testing for covid', which you would naturally go to, it simply says, with no exclusions, that you don't need to self-isolate if you test negative. How are you expected to know that there's another page that cancels this advice if you happen to have returned from another country?
                                                                                  It says that you don't need to on that site and on the hse as a close contact it says you have to complete the 14 days anyway.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                        RTE were pushing hard with the 'He was seen in Limerick before finishing self isolation' thing without ever considering that he might have had a test when he was in hosptal.
                                                                                        The point of the two week isolation is due to the incubation time for the virus. A test shouldn't mean anything conclusive.

During the worst period here, arriving passengers were isolated in hotels for 14 days plus testing. Would have been a hell of a lot cheaper to test them, and send them on their way.

Comment

Eoin, in my twitter link above, is fairly unimpeachable and when he moved back from Spain recently he was told the exact same thing by gardai at immigration about no need to quarantine if take a covid test. Which also makes sense.
                                                                                          It actually makes no sense and falls apart at the slightest scrutiny.

The fact that Associate Prof guy publicly, via twitter, got confused about the rules, really undermines his credibility and previous point he made about rules not being confusing. And FWIW, those rules are actually the really straightforward ones, with pretty logical reasons behind them.

Comment

Crazies.png
                                                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

I used to use google music but switched to Spotify because of the forced switch. Pleasantly surprised.
                                                                                              What did you do with all your playlists?

The 'thumbs up' playlist on Google is my lifeblood, is there a similar feature on Spotify? Assume there would be.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

So now it seems Phil was dining in the K Club on the night that he actually arrived in Ireland. He's toast.

If he hasn't actively lied about his movements, then let's be generous and say he's a fucking idiot. He has to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

It actually makes no sense and falls apart at the slightest scrutiny.

The fact that Associate Prof guy publicly, via twitter, got confused about the rules, really undermines his credibility and previous point he made about rules not being confusing. And FWIW, those rules are actually the really straightforward ones, with pretty logical reasons behind them.

He seems to have joined the pile-on anyway, if belatedly. I'm sure that gets him a few likes on Twatter but doesn't exactly cement his reputation as a serious commentator

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Wow did you really read a joke as being a serious comment. Someone really needs to get out of the house and start speaking to people again. Me too, to be fair.
                                                                                                        No, I read it as being "I am really on the wrong side of this argument so I'm going to stop defending Hogan and switch to gags instead". Which is what it is.

I see you're still digging in though so kudos on your commitment to the cause here.

Comment

IPB GOLF OUTING ? Get Ole to do the cooking .

Comment

the kmwine gear just arrived.

One thing that at first glance I thought was weird; I ordered 18 bottles and indeed, 18 bottles I received. However they all arrived in one big box which was awkward to lug onto the kitchen table. Once I opened it though, I found that the wine was actually packed in these kind of yokes:
                                                                                                            images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcT3cZFbEgG2FvZf9jqjWSYtJqDfrZszk0GnVQ&usqp=CAU.jpg

which might actually be really handy for future storage requirements (although bulky). Seems on balance though to be really terrible for the environment to be sending things unnecessarily packaged like this? Why not just send the wine in the usual wine boxes?

Comment

Phil's attitude is demonstrating exactly why he's the right man for the brexit trade negotiations!

RTE will not let up until he's gone the indignation at losing one of their own is overwhelming MaryLou is now allowed a free pass on her far more significant flouting of regulations to wave the pitchfork at Phil. Soothing hurt and anger are apparently more important than having a strong voice at the table for the crucial negotiations that are already in train.

If Ursula has to fire him because of a local political kerfuffle setting a precedent that will make the business of running Europe far more difficult changing the commission to be at the mercy of every local political crisis then we will have burned up decades of political capital.

I understand completely and share the anger at Hogan but cutting off your nose to spite your face is moronic.

Last edited by Strewelpeter; 26-08-20, 09:37.

Comment

the kmwine gear just arrived.

One thing that at first glance I thought was weird; I ordered 18 bottles and indeed, 18 bottles I received. However they all arrived in one big box which was awkward to lug onto the kitchen table. Once I opened it though, I found that the wine was actually packed in these kind of yokes:
                                                                                                                images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcT3cZFbEgG2FvZf9jqjWSYtJqDfrZszk0GnVQ&usqp=CAU.jpg

which might actually be really handy for future storage requirements (although bulky). Seems on balance though to be really terrible for the environment to be sending things unnecessarily packaged like this? Why not just send the wine in the usual wine boxes?
                                                                                                                Can't see that pic, are they air filled?

Comment

Phil's attitude is demonstrating exactly why he's the right man for the brexit trade negotiations!

RTE will not let up until he's gone the indignation at losing one of their own is overwhelming MaryLou is now allowed a free pass on her far more significant flouting of regulations to wave the pitchfork at Phil. Soothing hurt and anger are apparently more important than having a strong voice at the table for the crucial negotiations that are already in train.

If Ursula has to fire him because of a local political kerfuffle setting a precedent that will make the business of running Europe far more difficult where the commission are at the mercy at the whim of every local political crisis then we will have burned up decades of political capital.

I understand completely and share the anger at Hogan but cutting off your nose to spite your face is moronic.

You can't set him up on pedestal and say 'it's correct for a Minister to resign, and a broadcaster, and a leas-Cathaoirleach - but not an EU trade commissioner'.

It's not a 'local political kerfuffle'; it goes to the very heart of the biggest crisis of all our lifetimes and whether ordinary people can and should believe anything the government says. Per my leadership post yesterday.

Mehole, Leo and Ryan have now made all the right noises (rather incredibly it seems like every party in the Dail is united on what should happen next). Hogan should resign, that will reassert some kind of level of leadership and off we go to school reopening. Which no doubt will get fucked up in some way or other.

Comment

Can't see that pic, are they air filled?
                                                                                                                    Yes, I think they are these yokes

Comment

...
                                                                                                                      Attached Files

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X