This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    Two things of potential interest to other people thinking of doing the same:

- Signed up to DropChef.com to trial whether their 'we prep, you cook' menus are worth it. Cuts out having to prep three meals a week, upgrades the meal's taste level significantly, but at a cost of about €25 a meal. Tonights meal is a delicious sounding 'Vietnamese meatballs with shredded carrot and sesame rice noodles'.

- Agreed to pay this guy €125 to recommend the best health insurance policy to take out. There's 300+ health insurance policies, so I'm guessing he will easily save the money in the first month or two based on his insights.
    I think those services are great in theory, definitely better than falling into shit pattern where you havent time and end up ordering takeaways or eating unhealthily. 25e for two person meal or whole family? Would appear from the website they have chosen meals that have little to no prep to begin with? There couldnt be ten minutes prep in anything on the front page. Id be pretty pissed paying 25e for a sausage potato and parsnip hash!

Building up a good collection of midweek recipes and planning out your week would be much better value, with may more options. Plus many of the speciality supermarkets do delivery services now if its the fancy ingredients you are after. One big order and youll have most of what you need for a while, only needing to pick up the fresh stuff.

airport, lol

Comment

That's some proper rain out there .

Might have to break out the long trousers for the first time in several months soon.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Stocked up on the vitamin D. Looks like the days of getting the free stuff from the sun are over

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Attached Files
          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I notice quite a few journalists crying over the harsh dismissal of Sean O'Rourke for one single mistake. Having previously called gleefully for all politicians to lose their jobs. Thread lightly ye gluttons for someone else's punishment.
            Not a dismissal, he decided this was the right thing to do.
            (I realise this is a foreign concept to you. )

Mr O'Rourke was among those who attended the Oireachtas Golf Society event in Clifden, Co Galway last week.

In a statement he said that he "spent many years with RTÉ presenting programmes on which public figures were called to account for their actions.

"Now I must call myself to account," he said. "The right course is to set aside our plans for my return to the airwaves."
            He said that he did not have a defence, and that he "was invited to play golf and I really didn't consider it beyond that, other than to assume whatever was happening would be acceptable from a public health point of view."

"I very much regret that lack of thought and interrogation on my part, and I apologise unreservedly for it."
            We can go over the similar statements of apology and regret by Calleary and Buttimer when they resigned if you like . And Michael Cawley for his rank hypocrisy.

Or you could look back on this similar resignation in the UK for further precedent. I assume you would also argue she should not have resigned. Or indeed this chap.

Comment

Also o Rourke retired in May. There were possibly plans to come back and do a bit with RTE. Now he gets to enjoy his retirement and... err...play golf.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 25-08-20, 11:10.

Comment

Lots of people accusing Donnie Junior of being coked out of his mind. I thought he just looked very drunk

EgQf6qPXkAEZrX2?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg

Comment

In terms of leadership and the right thing to do, here is my take on this. I doubt I'm alone in this thinking but let's see.

We are in an absolutely unprecedented situation in our history. The closest historical parallel would probably be a major war, which thankfully none of us have ever experienced. This has required the imposition of extraordinary measures to safeguard public health. These measures can only be effective if the population buys in to the need for them and, critically, believes that everyone else, including those at the top, buys into the spirit and the letter of the measures.
                        This requires clear, consistent messaging from our political leadership both in terms of words and deeds. This leadership goes a very long way to ensuring that the social cohesion required to stick to the measures does not break and that we have an effective response to the crisis.

This lack of consistent messaging is part of the reason why the US and Brazil are so fucked compared to countries that do have good leadership. Their own leaders have actually undermined their own public health experts and this has led to confused, ineffective policy responses which large parts of the population have ignored.

So leadership is absolutely critical to an effective response to this emergency. If our leaders are perceived to be flaunting their own regulations, they completely undermine their own message, leading to the breakdown of social cohesion. Leading to the regulations being ignored by more and more people. Leading to death and long-term chronic illnesses that we don't even comprehend here. That's the outcome here. And that's why anyone in a leadership position - be it medical, political, journalistic, legal - who breaks the regulations has to go. They absolutely have to be held to a higher standard here. O'Rourke, Calleary and Buttimer (to their credit) realise this and resigned pretty much immediately.
                        Hogan likewise has to go, and for the same reasons. And if he won't quit of his own volition, he should be sacked.

Comment

riiiiiggggghhhttt. so RTE issued a statement denying him reentry into the building for 'possibly plans'.
                          Bit of a dramatic statement "denying him entry to the building"

Didnt see any concrete plans re what type of production he was supposed to be involved or format so presumably they were talking about plans for a comeback from his retirement hence "possibly"

He did the right thing as he has said himself.

Okaaaaaaaaaay

Anyway enough procrastination for me have renewal contracts to go after.

Last edited by dinekes; 25-08-20, 11:38. Reason: Drawn out ok in response to a gratuitous use of long drawn out right!ht

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

I enjoyed listening to SOR every day. One of the main reasons I enjoyed his current affairs coverage was because he never did what are suggesting he did. I've never once heard him call for a politicians head. He may have had to pose such a question to a guest if they thought Politician X should go, but it was never his style. He has always been a man of class and his ability to not ask the next question was one of his strengths. Contrast with Sarah McInerney who was fine btw, but she was no SOR, mostly due to her need to ask the next question. Sometimes a shrug of the shoulders is the most appropriate next step.
                              To your point about class, that statement of his strikes completely the right tone. He accepts fully his culpability here.

“I spent many years with RTÉ presenting programmes on which public figures were called to account for their actions. Now I must call myself to account. The right course is to set aside our plans for my return to the airwaves.”
                              “To those of you wondering what if I was still asking the questions rather than facing them I just want to say: You’re right,’ O’Rourke posted on Twitter. I should not have been at the dinner in Clifden on Wednesday. I don’t have a defense,” he said.

“I was invited to play golf and I really didn’t consider it beyond that other than to assume whatever was happening would be acceptable from a public health point of view,’ he added. I very much regret that lack of thought and interrogation on my part, and I apologise unreservedly for it.”

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

I enjoyed listening to SOR every day. One of the main reasons I enjoyed his current affairs coverage was because he never did what are suggesting he did. I've never once heard him call for a politicians head. He may have had to pose such a question to a guest if they thought Politician X should go, but it was never his style. He has always been a man of class and his ability to not ask the next question was one of his strengths. Contrast with Sarah McInerney who was fine btw, but she was no SOR, mostly due to her need to ask the next question. Sometimes a shrug of the shoulders is the most appropriate next step.
                                Sarah McI could read the phone book to me. That accent swoon. Still not talking my calls .

Comment

Comment

I didn't say SOR used to call for people's heads. I said the same journalists that were calling for politicians heads were against the same for SOR. Its all young journalists, not the long-established ones, who have adopted this type of journalistic approach. A pure lazy type of journalism borrowed from the UK because it works well in click-based journalism. You get far more clicks from controversy vs just explaining a situation. But the problem is that you are so constantly creating controversy, calls for people to be fired, painting people in a corner, that you end up with ridiculous logics.

I thought that journalist that interviewed Stephen Donnolly last week was the same type of modern bad journalist - 'parents are anxious, parents don't want to send their kids to school' was her opening comment. But polls show that 94% of parents want to send their kids to school. But portraying Donnolly as someone trying to push kids into school against their parents will is better clickbait journalism. It sets up the tension. And then later in the interview she has created him into enough of a bogeyman for simply saying what medical professionals have said (including UK medical director this week) that she portrays him as relating corona to jumping on a trampoline. It's highly effective, but lazy and damaging, as it means that politicians learn to never say anything in interviews but instead repeat careful phrases that can never trip them up - so there's less information flow. You see it in the UK where politicians never speak to the press like their do here as they've learned the press will twist off-the-cuff comments into controversies. I'm not sure we benefit at all with that type of journalism.

There's another young journalist who has risen really fast in business news and all he ever does really is post pictures of DAFT accommodation and go 'would you look at the state of this' - 1000 likes, another promotion for him. And I don't blame him for playing the game, but he's now a senior business journalist and he's never really had to write a serious business news story, so how will he be a good investigative journalist, holding people to account, when he knows that all he needs to do is post pictures of dodgy flats in Rathmines to get way more applause.

I'm just not a big fan of that approach to journalism. Which as you said SOR didn't engage in. But he was fired because of it. (or to please dinekes - prevented from future employment). Its lazy and the public doesn't benefit from it. And all this firing of politicians rather than thinking it through logically that really its mainly just the organisers are responsible isn't good for the country. You end up losing a lot of talent for silly reasons.
                                    V good post (not that you were seeking my approval!) Journalism in general is gone to shite. Or it was always shite and I'm realising it more each day
                                    airport, lol

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

The golf balls were HUGE back then

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                          Also o Rourke retired in May. There were possibly plans to come back and do a bit with RTE. Now he gets to enjoy his retirement and... err...play golf.
                                          Retired man stays retired. Outrage ensues.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Retired man stays retired. Outrage ensues.
                                            I don't think anyone is outraged (except HH)

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I don't think anyone is outraged (except HH)
                                              My guess it's the practice hes ragng against

Comment

Anyone make the switch from google musi to youtube music recently. Im liking it. Playlist options even better when you can add youtube videos rather than just having access to google musics library
                                                airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

V good post (not that you were seeking my approval!) Journalism in general is gone to shite. Or it was always shite and I'm realising it more each day
                                                  Traditional journalism is (mostly) still good although has clearly lost considerable trust and market share.

What's the alternative? People who get their 'news' from Twitter, Facebook etc are going to be exposed to some serious BS.

Comment

Traditional journalism is (mostly) still good although has clearly lost considerable trust and market share.

What's the alternative? People who get their 'news' from Twitter, Facebook etc are going to be exposed to some serious BS.
                                                    Yeah exactly. And a lot of people are already there. News purely from social media and rarely get by the headline.
                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Will Goodbody reviews the new Instant Ink subscription service from HP.

Comment

Speaking of news, stories like this are going to just keep emerging about Big Phil aren't they?

Comment

Comment

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/...d-1014987.html

Odds on it's an anti mask headcase
                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Comment

Some of it is still good. Some isn't. The Guardian, who you frequently link here, so presumably is your newspaper of record, is very reliable and that may be biasing your view of all newspapers upwards. Most UK news is trash. In Ireland - I don't know. I'd imagine The Currency is decent. I don't think The Indo is any better than twitter as its had a clickbait model until very recently so will have hired journalists based on their ability to generate clicks. IT: I'm not sure. There's not much left after that.

Its a false choice in any case. Its not a choice between buying a newspaper or reading opinions on Facebook.
                                                                The indo is complete shite! The guardian is/was good but they are becoming a mockery of themselves more and more as the days go on.
                                                                airport, lol

Comment

This book is brill on threats to the quality of news. Specifically in the UK.
                                                                  I’m not convinced that flat earthers aren’t just trolling with extreme dedication

Comment

Some of it is still good. Some isn't. The Guardian, who you frequently link here, so presumably is your newspaper of record, is very reliable and that may be biasing your view of all newspapers upwards. Most UK news is trash. In Ireland - I don't know. I'd imagine The Currency is decent. I don't think The Indo is any better than twitter as its had a clickbait model until very recently so will have hired journalists based on their ability to generate clicks. IT: I'm not sure. There's not much left after that.

Its a false choice in any case. Its not a choice between buying a newspaper or reading opinions on Facebook.
                                                                    Traditional news media (ignoring magazines\periodicals) that I would place a reasonably high degree of trust in and consume fairly regularly:
                                                                    1. RTE
                                                                    2. BBC
                                                                    3. WSJ
                                                                    4. NYT
                                                                    5. Irish Times
                                                                    6. The Guardian (although way too much wanky filler crap in amongst the good stuff )
                                                                    7. The Financial Times
                                                                    8. Reuters
                                                                    9. Bloomberg
                                                                    I'm sure there are zillions of others, they are just the ones I might consume on an ongoing basis and be reasonably confident that they are not either outright lies or else insanely biased.

Channels I know to be purveyors of nonsense:
                                                                    1. RT
                                                                    2. All tabloids
                                                                    3. The Indo
                                                                    4. Fox

Comment

EgRRtKZUMAEK2CQ?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                        Stocked up on the vitamin D. Looks like the days of getting the free stuff from the sun are over

Would you say these are any good ? seem a tad cheap.

This too shall pass.

Comment

Any of you lot tried Nordic walking ?

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Would you say these are any good ? seem a tad cheap.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vitamin-Sof...s%2C155&sr=8-9
                                                                            Yeah, think they are generally quite cheap. I didn't spot any they would send to Ireland when I looked on Amazon. The ones I pictured were about €10 for the 60 tablets in each bottle, and Boots had a 3 for 2 offer on vitamins, so €20 for 180 or roughly six months.

Comment

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/comm...sit-ireland_en

The EU heads will love that
                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                Going back to Kildare a 2nd time to pick up the rest of his stuff and his passport seems a bit mad. Guess the golf clubs were taking up a lot of room and he had to ditch them first.

Comment

Sean O'Rourke was booked to have a one hour politics programme on Saturday lunchtime starting in the Autumn schedule in mid September. It was to be announced with the new schedule on Thursday.

As a permanent employee of RTE he was forced to retire on hitting 65 and would have been coming back in as a contractor.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

RTE were pushing hard with the 'He was seen in Limerick before finishing self isolation' thing without ever considering that he might have had a test when he was in hosptal.

Can't see Ursula ditching him if that timeline is correct.
                                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Ha
                                                                                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Tony Connolly has the interview. will be on the 6.1

I think Connolly is a great Journo. Was/Is my source of sense(if there is any) with brexit. But can he fillet a man?

Rte don't have many butchers left. Catroina Perry with Mehole was very poor the other night.

Comment

...

Comment

Going back to Kildare a 2nd time to pick up the rest of his stuff and his passport seems a bit mad. Guess the golf clubs were taking up a lot of room and he had to ditch them first.
                                                                                            I'm confused by why he was in Kildare at all. Isn't his family home in Kilkenny? And that's where he went for some of the time.

Wonder does he have some kind of mistress stashed away in the K Club....

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                              Any of you lot tried Nordic walking ?
                                                                                              Its great isn't it...oh wait...walking

Comment

Anyone make the switch from google musi to youtube music recently. Im liking it. Playlist options even better when you can add youtube videos rather than just having access to google musics library
                                                                                                ARe you using that instead of spotify?

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

I used to use google music but switched to Spotify because of the forced switch. Pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Almost no place seems to have printers left for sale which are sadly a necessity despite this being the year of our lord 2020. Guessing corona has wiped out stocks? Managed to eventually find one in DID Electrical. Made the mistake of checking Argos. They really are an atrocity of a business, I've no idea how they stay open. Their website just gives palpitations realising that real people have designed that website and are walking amongst us unbeknownst.

The HP printers now have an interesting deal on them - of subscription ink. Seems surprisingly convincing as a business proposition.
                                                                                                      Yeah that's an interesting model. Really surprised at the free sub, seems ambitious for them. I've an old printer but just buying a new one seems easier and probably about the same price as trying to find ink cartridges,

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Yeah, i started using Google music years ago, uploaded my entire digital collection onto it and then signed up and was able to add to that collection from googles library.

Then I've put some amount of time over the years building up playlists, for example I've a series of playlists focusing on more chilled music, anything outside heavy electronic basically, and I'm on volume 28 with 40 songs a playlist. So yeah I'm kind of committed, rebuilding that on spotify would be a nightmare

Was able to transfer the lot to youtube music, and any song thats not within their collection but is available as a youtube video can also be added to these playlists, so selection is way better now. Always a few things missing from google music/spotify. And even after that you still have the ability to upload anything thats missing.
                                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Was able to transfer the lot to youtube music, and any song thats not within their collection but is available as a youtube video can also be added to these playlists, so selection is way better now. Always a few things missing from google music/spotify. And even after that you still have the ability to upload anything thats missing.
                                                                                                          I only used google play music to listen to music I had uploaded on the go. Do you have to take out a subscription to youtube music to transfer over that library?

Comment

I only used google play music to listen to music I had uploaded on the go. Do you have to take out a subscription to youtube music to transfer over that library?
                                                                                                            Not sure actually. I had a subscription to google music anyway so thats transferred to youtube music. Not sure if you can transfer yours to youtube without a sub.

See what happens if you try i guess?
                                                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

...
                                                                                                              Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 25-08-20, 16:57.

Comment

Big Phil trying to argue that the guidelines are wrong. Where's Jeremy Paxman when you want him?

Comment

Big Phil trying to argue that the guidelines are wrong. Where's Jeremy Paxman when you want him?
                                                                                                                  he's going to brass neck it.
                                                                                                                  The govt. has no power to remove him and the EU has bigger fish to fry.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

he's going to brass neck it.
                                                                                                                    The govt. has no power to remove him and the EU has bigger fish to fry.
                                                                                                                    Somebody should remind him that he's only got a couple of years left in this gig and then he has to live in Ireland....people have long memories

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Eoin, in my twitter link above, is fairly unimpeachable and when he moved back from Spain recently he was told the exact same thing by gardai at immigration about no need to quarantine if take a covid test. Which also makes sense.
                                                                                                                          Weird. The guidelines say different:

You are requested to restrict your movements for 14 days if you arrive into Ireland from another location that is not on the COVID-19 Green List.

This includes:
                                                                                                                          • Irish citizens coming home
                                                                                                                          • people with no symptoms
                                                                                                                          • people who have tested negative for the virus in another location
                                                                                                                          but obviously some random dude on Twitter should be believed ahead of the actual government website.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X