This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
    It's not contradictory. There are benefits to proof of stake that have nothing to do with energy consumption.
    concrete example?
    What I was saying is that energy consumption isn't much of an issue now, and it will be even less of an issue in the future.
    hmm, seems a strange premise. Once we have unlimited free energy then the fact that a main tenant of cryptocurrency transaction handling is having multiple cpus burn through watts of power just to facilitate finding the solution for a problem that solves only the facilitation of that transaction and no other goal whatsoever, we're grand?
    Digital currencies solve many problems, there are so many advantages to digital currency I wouldn't know where to start to list them. I also wouldn't be the most informed or eloquent speaker on the topic. The most pressing problem right now that digital currency solves is an escape route for people in countries with huge inflation, i.e. Turkey/Brazil.
    How? How does it do that in a way that fiat cannot? What is the differential here? What is the added value of the cryptocurrency over fiat here? Also, let's stick with cryptocurrencies, as you have extolled, and not 'digital currencies' which you've moved onto in this post, almost all currency transactions in the world by volume is via digital currency. The Euro has been a digital currency for decades.
    Almost every central bank around the world is exploring their own digital currency because they realise the problems with non-digital money. There's a comprehensive list here. https://www.theblockcrypto.com/post/...esearch-report
    As above, digital currency is not equivalent to crypto currencies. I can already spend multiple currencies using a digital wallet.

Thank you for the link dump though.

Comment

You need to look up what a Ponzi scheme is.
      Originally posted by paul8200 View Post

Yes agree with the above. I was suggesting it for small amounts where the purpose is to just sell later for an expected profit, as it's the most hassle free way to dabble
      Same principles. New investors paying off old.
      the big collapses in crypto happen when they run out of new money. Like after the South Korea mania.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Same principles. New investors paying off old.
        the big collapses in crypto happen when they run out of new money. Like after the South Korea mania.
        You are confusing a bubble with a Ponzi scheme.

Comment

A Ponzi scheme is a form of fraud that lures investors and pays profits to earlier investors with funds from more recent investors.

Comment

Also it might be close to over now but the lockdown chess tournaments have been the most fantastic sport Looks like Magnus is about to Magnus but there might be one further twist in the last rapid game which is about to start here

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-to...ur-2020/11/1/2
            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
              concrete example?
              The proponents of proof of stake believe that the network will be safer and that it is a more democratic way to run a blockchain. The argument is too technical for me to have much of an opinion now the merit of that, but if there is a problem with proof of stake then it we will find out in the next few years.

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
              hmm, seems a strange premise. Once we have unlimited free energy then the fact that a main tenant of cryptocurrency transaction handling is having multiple cpus burn through watts of power just to facilitate finding the solution for a problem that solves only the facilitation of that transaction and no other goal whatsoever, we're grand?

Nope, that's not what I was saying. The energy that bitcoin uses is mainly renewable energy in places that don't have much other use for it. I.e hydroelectric damns It isn't adding to the total amount of electricity used.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

But are you actually working and\or speculating in crypto?
                All of my money goes into music right now, which 100% is a Ponzi scheme.

And just to be clear, I'm not advocating anyone invest in crypto. There's no doubt it's super high risk and there had already been a big bubble in recent memory. We might be on our way back to another one.

That said a bubble is not indicative of a Ponzi scheme. The internet had it's own bubble.
                Last edited by Hectorjelly; 20-08-20, 16:01.

Comment

It's the greatest Ponzi scheme of all time. A guy wrote some digits, all the early adopters are rich, new investors are brought in under the guise of hodl moon. Will probably go to zero at some stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Yeah thats what I'm pointing you towards
                    This manner of discourse is beneath you.

Comment

Will probably go to zero at some stage.

Do you want to bet on that?

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post

It's on Chrome. Always met by the consent followed by the other without fail. Not the biggest of deals but annoying.
                        Are you using incognito mode? It mightn't make a difference, but that consent thing is related to cookies I think, so might be part of the problem. If that's not it then try deleting any bookmark, and going to www.irishpokerboards.com and adding a new bookmark when the site loads after you log in. I saw elsewhere that this might work. Other than that, I don't know.

Comment

The proponents of proof of stake believe that the network will be safer and that it is a more democratic way to run a blockchain. The argument is too technical for me to have much of an opinion now the merit of that, but if there is a problem with proof of stake then it we will find out in the next few years.
                          Appeal to Authority and an appeal to ignorance are not concrete examples I'm afraid. Can we do better here?

Nope, that's not what I was saying. The energy that bitcoin uses is mainly renewable energy in places that don't have much other use for it. I.e hydroelectric damns It isn't adding to the total amount of electricity used.
                          You're trolling here right?

Comment

After listening to all the arguments...

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Comment

Stock market represents economic activity and produces dividends. Vs Bitcoin which produces little economic value, most people are just buying into it hoping it goes to the moon (closer to a penny stock than the real market). And it has no fundamental value. It's value all comes from new round of speculators.

Almost every central bank around the world is exploring their own digital currency because they realise the problems with non-digital money. There's a comprehensive list here. https://www.theblockcrypto.com/post/...esearch-report
                                    And most central banks hold hundreds of billions in gold reserves. There's no comparison about which is real store of wealth.
                                    Last edited by Denny Crane; 20-08-20, 18:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                      Also it might be close to over now but the lockdown chess tournaments have been the most fantastic sport Looks like Magnus is about to Magnus but there might be one further twist in the last rapid game which is about to start here

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-to...ur-2020/11/1/2
                                      Scenes

Swing Swong, Magnus had to win the second blitz game extraordinary win blitzing out a dozen or more crucial life or death moves precisely from 20 seconds on the clock to force Armageddon( Starts in 4 mins)
                                      Incredible stuff
                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Half the place is closed and queues are moving more sluggishly due to regs.
                                        Seems appropriate that the first use of that word here in probably 7 years has to do with kids at Tayto park.

Comment

Stock market represents economic activity and produces dividends. Vs Bitcoin which produces little economic value, most people are just buying into it hoping it goes to the moon (closer to a penny stock than the real market). And it has no fundamental value. It's value all comes from new round of speculators.

And most central banks hold hundreds of billions in gold reserves. There's no comparison about which is real store of wealth.
                                          the reasons they hold gold in reserves is it is seen as a currency pair, and as such a hedge against currency fluctuation, which is how Bitcoin has been acting in this unusual year. the Nasdaq priced in Bitcoin, for example, is not doing particularly well. (On the day TESLA breaks 2000!)
                                          Last edited by paul8200; 20-08-20, 19:25.

Comment

FOUR!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                              FOUR!!!!!
                                              Way to make Jess Brennan look like not so unusual a gobshite
                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

80 people indoors at the Oireachtas Golf Society 50th Anniversary function is just hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                  80 people indoors at the Oireachtas Golf Society 50th Anniversary function is just hilarious.
                                                  I genuinely didn't think FF would be this bad. What a bunch of duds.

Comment

Was there any exit poll info on people voting for FF by age in the election? They must have had around 0 votes from the under 30s surely?

Comment

Martin is a massive failure I feel. It's like his whole mission in his career was not to be the first. Now that he's over the line he doesn't know what to do with himself.

Actually really like S Donnelly, there's a naiive honesty about him.

Totally unsuited to a ministerial role.
                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                        Was there any exit poll info on people voting for FF by age in the election? They must have had around 0 votes from the under 30s surely?
                                                        Probably more from younger people as they have no real memories of what cunts they are. One of my nephews joined FF on freshers day a few years ago. I was pre emtively turning in my grave.

Comment

Comment

https://twitter.com/JohnFogartyIrl/s...155981312?s=19

This messaging is confused. Not confusing, confused.

Comment

It's fairly obvious cabinet ministers, EU commissioners etc don't really believe 80 person indoor gatherings are actually dangerous or they wouldn't turn up. Not sure what the plain people ought to take from that.

Comment

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

It's not about any one individual event its about the effect of a lot of individual events together.
                                                                    You're doing a great line in explaining things I already understand while ignoring that I've been talking about the government bungling the implementation of and messaging around the NPHET advice with the likely outcome that no one will take it seriously.

​​​

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                        In order that I can keep an eye at all times on covid disinformation from country folk and attempts to besmirch Mother Russia from Dublin folk I need a wifi extender for my office / bedroom. Wifi in the living room is ridic good Virgin Media, but there's a massive drop off in wifi in the bedroom where I've put the office desk. Am I right in thinking that £14.49 on this will solve all my problems? It's just a regular apartment, so not a long distance to travel. Must be just a dodgy wall between the modem and the desk.
                                                                        rxODM1hm.jpg
                                                                        I had the same thing down here and moving the router a few feet solved it for all areas. Knock on the walls and see where the concrete one is between the modem and the bedroom, you might be able to make a small adjustment.

I had good success with powerline adapters in Limerick where there were two concrete floors between the modem and the bedroom upstairs but they were way dearer than that yoke.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Have a TP link powerline adaptor and it worked a dream for a few years while I had HTC and Samsung phones and wife had apple.

​​​​​​Both of us have Huawei P30s now and neither of us can connect to it.

​​​Have tried all the factory reset malarkey but to no avail.

Have also had trouble connecting to it with HP laptop.

Have found similar hardware connection issues with Huawei that weren't problems with Samsung, nice phone but I think it will be my last Huawei.

Comment

...
                                                                                The same Fast and Smooth experience that’s uniquely OnePlus. Flagship camera, Nightscape, Dual selfie cameras, OxygenOS, 90 Hz AMOLED display, Snapdragon™ 765G, 5G-ready, Warp Charge 30T.

Comment

He has to be gone.
                                                                                  That's the wheel they will be broken on. International criticism in a country dependent on foreign investment is something the govt cannot absorb
                                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                    https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020...s-ireland.html

He has to be gone.
                                                                                    That's the wheel they will be broken on. International criticism in a country dependent on foreign investment is something the govt cannot absorb
                                                                                    Imagine the Mayo wailing if he is dropped

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post

Imagine the Mayo wailing if he is dropped
                                                                                      That was quick https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/202...dara-calleary/

Comment

Whatever about Calleary, are we shooting ourselves in the foot calling for Phil Hogan's head?

Comment

Shouldn't be the only faller I think.

Fucking gobshites the lot of them.

Comment

Hogan won't go anywhere - he's not in govt?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                              Whatever about Calleary, are we shooting ourselves in the foot calling for Phil Hogan's head?
                                                                                              Think there's only a few clowns with too much time on their hands on twitter looking for that

Comment

They couldn't even keep to 6 to a table

Ef5a-a7WAAUNXyq?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

I genuinely didn't think FF would be this bad. What a bunch of duds.
                                                                                                  Despite the empirical evidence?
                                                                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                    Actually really like S Donnelly, there's a naiive honesty about him.
                                                                                                    Ask his former Social Democrat colleagues what they think of that.

Comment

Seems like Putin is irked that his main opponent\irritant hasn't had the good manners to die already so wants to make sure he hangs around to finish the job.

Comment

Clearly won't be an election but Jesus we have managed to replace a minority (but competent) government with one where the most numerous component are quite demonstrably unqualified to run a sweet shop.

If we did have an election I could se it breaking FG 70, SF 60.

Comment

Clearly won't be an election but Jesus we have managed to replace a minority (but competent) government with one where the most numerous component are quite demonstrably unqualified to run a sweet shop.

If we did have an election I could se it breaking FG 70, SF 60.
                                                                                                          I dunno, there's a lot that buy into FFG as a real thing
                                                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Never mind Calleary, it seems pretty clear that the omnishambles of the new regs was something Mehole and Donnelly dreamed up by themselves without consulting the wider Cabinet.

Comment

Seems like Putin is irked that his main opponent\irritant hasn't had the good manners to die already so wants to make sure he hangs around to finish the job.
                                                                                                              A Brazilian mate of mine was over there for the world cup and said the Russians were incredibly hospitable people. Most of the cities never had foreigners or tourism, some completely behind the curtain so to speak. There was a genuine novelty in welcoming the world and showing off the good side of Russia. Notably, no one would get into politics, recent history or current social issues. However showing off their culture in terms of not so recent history, drinks, food, art etc was all above board. Putin has built a dynasty for his family and cronies, very hard to see any change during his life time. Dissent is absolutely crushed and not tolerated in any manner.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

A Brazilian mate of mine was over there for the world cup and said the Russians were incredibly hospitable people. Most of the cities never had foreigners or tourism, some completely behind the curtain so to speak. There was a genuine novelty in welcoming the world and showing off the good side of Russia. Notably, no one would get into politics, recent history or current social issues. However showing off their culture in terms of not so recent history, drinks, food, art etc was all above board. Putin has built a dynasty for his family and cronies, very hard to see any change during his life time. Dissent is absolutely crushed and not tolerated in any manner.
                                                                                                                Not disputing the hospitality, I have suffered it before.

"OK, Boris good night. I am drunk and tired, I'm going to bed."

(Boris pours large glass of vodka for Raoul)

"It is unlucky not to finish bottle. Drink!"

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I dunno, there's a lot that buy into FFG as a real thing
                                                                                                                  The level of "anyone but FFG" followers is huge down here. It would no different anywhere else in the country these days. Mention labour or greens and they get lumped in for good measure. Kelly and Labour are still toxic to many since water charges and Eamon Ryan has zero credibility amongst many rural voters. I never noticed the anti-green sentiment as much until the last few months. FF missed their chance to "reinvent" themselves by letting MM keep the reigns for the last few years. Well re-brand at least. Meanwhile SF sat by, complained, did little else and ran a blisteringly effective social media campaign at the right time.

Comment

I always wonder about these episodes.

Did they really think this reaction wouldn't happen?
                                                                                                                    How many things do they do that they get away with?
                                                                                                                    Are they so used to getting away with things, that they're surprised when they get caught in something like this?

I'm talking in general terms, not just covid.

Comment

Not disputing the hospitality, I have suffered it before.

"OK, Boris good night. I am drunk and tired, I'm going to bed."

(Boris pours large glass of vodka for Raoul)

"It is unlucky not to finish bottle. Drink!"
                                                                                                                      Boris? Why always Boris.

Comment

I text my FF rep friend, that it was good to have FF back, instant reply

"There loads of FG there too in fairness"

whoosh

Comment

I always wonder about these episodes.

Did they really think this reaction wouldn't happen?
                                                                                                                          How many things do they do that they get away with?
                                                                                                                          Are they so used to getting away with things, that they're surprised when they get caught in something like this?

I'm talking in general terms, not just covid.
                                                                                                                          To lose one Minister of Agriculture is careless....

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X