This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paul8200 View Post

for amounts like 1k why not use revolut - there only have Bitcoin and ETH at the moment afaik (they are expanding the range) but it's immediate and realtime - in and out. they take a charge like everyone else but for those amounts it's negligible
    When you buy on Revolut you aren't actually buying crypto. There is no way to transfer the coins in or out of Revolut. Their fees are also higher than basically everywhere else.

Buying real crypto (i.e. not on Revolut) is a little tricky because most sites won't accept credit cards, or charge a lot for it. That's because credit card payments are reversible whereas crypto transfers are not. Revolut get around this problem by selling pretend coins.

I use bitstamp that has lower fees than coinbase, but is less user friendly.

Wherever you buy it from, if you plan to keep it for a while you should learn how to take it off the exchange and keep it safely.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

When you buy on Revolut you aren't actually buying crypto. There is no way to transfer the coins in or out of Revolut. Their fees are also higher than basically everywhere else.

Buying real crypto (i.e. not on Revolut) is a little tricky because most sites won't accept credit cards, or charge a lot for it. That's because credit card payments are reversible whereas crypto transfers are not. Revolut get around this problem by selling pretend coins.

Wherever you buy it from, if you plan to keep it for a while you should learn how to take it off the exchange and keep it safely.
        Whats the point behind the last line, just purely from a safety (i.e. hacking POV?). Have some left over from 3 years ago still sitting on an exchange.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

It's all really about whether you want to view things as a shambles, looking for every minor stumble, or whether you want to listen like a normal person to a person attempting to give a nuanced argument.
          Nuanced argument? It sounds like youve gone to the opposite extreme and are blindly trusting. Its an inconsistent confusing mess and the people in charge are woefully incapable, lets be honest. That being said they are probably trying their best, but their best is unfortunately a long way from what we need.

The confusion will lead to people ignoring all the restrictions, if they were capable of making us understand their thinking of where they got the new restrictions from we might have a chance of a some level of compliance.
          airport, lol

Comment

The exchange can go bust or be hacked. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mt._Gox

One of crypto's main strengths is that it is decentralised, you lose out on this if you keep it on an exchange.

Whether or not its worth your time/energy depends on how much it's worth.

Comment

Comment

Comment

There's nothing even slightly complicated in this message. Or in the Stephen Donnelly message.

What we have here is people claiming confusion because they just don't want to do something that has social good for broader society at some personal expense to them and are seeking some sort of social excuse from doing it 'because its too confusing'.
                  The confusing piece is 1, how did they reach the decision on prioritising similar risk items, 2, what is the data that has led them to the decisions so we can understand and trust it as we move on, and 3, where are the restrictions/changes in the main drivers of the spikes, meat factories and direct provision centres. But we are comparing coronovirus risk to trampoline risk instead.

The people will need clarity to gain trust and have any chance of obeying the restrictions, otherwise whether right or wrong people are going to break rules in attempt to live their lives while there is no end in sight
                  airport, lol

Comment

I don't get what's wrong with that? It's all fundamentally correct and the right way of looking at things.

And I firmly think he's a gobshite ever since he started tweeting videos of him writing simplistic graphs on a board during the financial crisis.
                    Are you watching the same video? He never addressed the main point properly and gave the impression that he is happy to risk the lives of children, because cars are also dangerous.

Comment

There's nothing even slightly complicated in this message. Or in the Stephen Donnelly message.

What we have here is people claiming confusion because they just don't want to do something that has social good for broader society at some personal expense to them and are seeking some sort of social excuse from doing it 'because its too confusing'.
                      None of the experts in this article agree with you: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...vice-1.4334315

Comment

Up there with the previous defence of Eoghan Murphy on housing
                        airport, lol

Comment

Ah Lads! If it any hassle whatsoever to buy, to keep in your own wallet or spend at will then you have to be considering what exactly is it you are speculating on and how the business case for claiming that it is a currency fits with you not being able to access or use it
                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                            Ah Lads! If it any hassle whatsoever to buy, to keep in your own wallet or spend at will then you have to be considering what exactly is it you are speculating on and how the business case for claiming that it is a currency fits with you not being able to access or use it
                            Have you tried storing gold in your wallet?

Comment

Have you tried storing gold in your wallet?
                              Who is making a business case for gold being a replacement for central bank issued currencies as a medium for transactions?

Comment

And don't forget the assassination program using radioactive materials!
                                Speaking of which, Navalny nobbled.
                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Yes agree with the above. I was suggesting it for small amounts where the purpose is to just sell later for an expected profit, as it's the most hassle free way to dabble

Comment

Who is making a business case for gold being a replacement for central bank issued currencies as a medium for transactions?
                                    There is no reserve of wealth anymore backing central bank issued currency. US came off the 'gold standard' in the 1970s. therefore the printing at the moment is simple dilution.

Comment

The difficulty in buying crypto using a credit card comes from a weakness of FIAT, not the other way around.

Comment

To answer this properly, there are almost a lot of different cryptocurrencies, with a lot of different business cases. One of the major business cases for Bitcoin is that it is an excellent store of value, similar to gold. However, it has a few properties that make it more practical than gold.

Comment

Was checking a website earlier to see what date next year Skellig Michael tours would start next year and found this familiar twitter post they're using an example of being a fool

YgcJPUt.png
                                          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

He said its not necessarily much higher. As in, if you take the right risk prevention measures its not necessarily much higher.
                                            Inserting the word "necessarily" shouldn't be a free pass say what ever you want without fact checking. Do you honestly think the risks are similar?

Last year in Ireland 140 people died on the road, just under 12 per month. This year so far 88 have died.

In the last 4 months, there have been 1500+ deaths. July was obviously the fared better than April, but there were still about triple the road deaths.
                                            And that's when people are actively trying to avoid transmission. If we people actively tried to avoid road deaths to the same degree, they'd be in low double digits.

Saying the risk is not necessarily much higher is either incompetence, or a complete lie. In either case, the risk is directly related to how seriously people continue to take this. Suggesting it's not necessarily more dangerous than a child on a trampoline is fuel for idiocy.

The reason we end up with stupidity-pandering politicians like SF, is because we're always looking to laugh at the sensible politicians who want to give a proper nuanced answer (in this case 'we manage risk in many activities every day')...

...Did you really find it confusing his elementary probability argument that we take all types of risks every day and as a society we decide to manage some of those risks instead of avoiding them?
                                            Confusing, no not in the slightest. It was quite simple, so simply that anyone with a basic understanding of probability could understand why his "not necessarily much higher" comeback is incorrect.

I have no issue with the idea we mange risk every say. My issue is the suggestion that the risks we are managing these days are no worse than any other days.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                              Was checking a website earlier to see what date next year Skellig Michael tours would start next year and found this familiar twitter post they're using an example of being a fool
                                              What's up in the life of Mdoug these days? You came into my mind yesterday or the day before for some reason. How many countries in Europe did you get to before COVID, have you been swanning around Ireland, have you put 20k on Bayern to beat PSG 4-3 @50s? Always enjoy updates from you.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

What's up in the life of Mdoug these days? You came into my mind yesterday or the day before for some reason. How many countries in Europe did you get to before COVID, have you been swanning around Ireland, have you put 20k on Bayern to beat PSG 4-3 @50s? Always enjoy updates from you.
                                                Got my bankroll up to around 200-250k at one point and spunked so much off to the point betfair closed my account .. think that's the most degen thing that I could account for. Kept around 70/80 aside and am going to use that to buy a van early next year and live in it and travel around Europe for a while, maybe forever. Don't see the reason to live a normal life, just need to figure out how to make money in a van now..!

Managed to get to 14 countries before Covid fucked it all, and many flights cancelled and the like but fuck it.. now I'm seeing as much of Ireland as I can. Got the OPW card, planned many many trips and have taken 7/8 already without having any chats with other humans... it's quite lovely

Same old, same old.
                                                Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

To answer this properly, there are almost a lot of different cryptocurrencies, with a lot of different business cases. One of the major business cases for Bitcoin is that it is an excellent store of value, similar to gold. However, it has a few properties that make it more practical than gold.
                                                        Ah look , the use case is only for criminal transactions and anyone who pretends otherwise is a fool. The energy use problem is real and no amount watching the Winkletwat twins snaring gobshites into buying it is gonna change that.
                                                        I'm not for or against crypto, I understand the technologies, the relationship with fiat currencies and I understand what they need to achieve in order to become a transnational currency.
                                                        Gamble away good luck in finding a winner in that field, this morning I saw a scan of the winner of the 2028 Cheltenham Gold Cup if you'd like to invest

Comment

Shops closing at 6pm, that's another Irish thing. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that a shop, like Easons, deserves to go out of business if they design their opening hours to be open when people are working and shut when people are off work. 9-6pm, wtf.
                                                          Winds me up that. There has to be more customers available between 6pm and 8pm than 9am and 11am daily. Always annoys me that Kish Fish down the road shuts at 5pm
                                                          airport, lol

Comment

I think we can be confident that NPHET's advice is to also close lots of the things that have not been closed.
                                                            And that there is a political layer to the final decision. NPHET are not the ultimate policy makers, it is not a technocracy.

With that in mind, I think people who are complaining about GAA matches etc have it all wrong, if they really complain and get their way, it's not a benefit to them, it's just more stuff closed!

The grey areas are where we get problems, straightforward guidelines are easy as there is no workarounds, give inches and people will find ways to take miles. Just think about all those tax accountants who's job exists solely to find exactly those circumstances, and that's for decades of case law and precedent, whereas what we have now is pretty much entirely novel. We/They are absolutely making it up as they go along because there is no other option.

Comment

Well it's a good job buildings aren't constructed from blocks of numbers if that's the way you work with numbers.

If you're going to compare the unrestrained death numbers from the early few months of the pandemic with road deaths that happen within a carefully developed driving safety system, then there's no hope.

Comparing current death rates and its nowhere near the same death rate despite potentially 24 hour exposure to corona and much less to car deaths.

Also he was talking within the context of children and school. There have been and will be far more kids killed by cars than corona this year.

Anyway, if you want to engage in being confused by simple ideas then fire ahead. Everyone is doing it because they are tired of restrictions on how they live their lives. But at least be honest that as someone who has presumably been through a highly mathematical degree and works with numbers everyday that its not really even slightly confusing maths.
                                                              I suggest you re-read my post Hitcheroo. As the above doesn't reflect well on your own grasp of numbers, or the calendar for that matter.
                                                              July is not one of the "early few months". It's literally the most recent complete month. As I said, this is with people taking full precautions to minimise risk, no idea where you are getting unrestrained from.

In July 2020 there were 11 deaths on the road. And there were 32 Covid deaths. Which is about triple, which is exactly what I said. August is following a similar 3:1 trend.
                                                              Those number include non-motorist deaths, so in actually fact the deaths from being in the car are about 6 per month. So it was a 5x factor last month.

There is absolutely nowhere near a 24hr risk of exposure to covid. For the hours you are you family are in your home the risk is zero (did you not get the whole lockdown thing?).
                                                              And yes, we have a carefully developed system designed for safe driving. A system which serves to reduce the risk when we drive. That's the exact system that Donnelly suggested is similar in risk. He not refering to a hypothetical Mad Max road warrior system.

You keep saying "confused". Where are you getting this from? I literally just answered this that I wasn't confused in the slightest by his maths. My point is that it simply wrong, not that it is confusing.
                                                              And whether or not the maths is accurate is not the extent of the issue either.
                                                              He was asked a specific question about schools. And maybe he is very good science and data to back that decision up. But he answer he gave was complete fluff, misdirection to take in the gullible. He avoided the question, which suggests that there actually isn't any science or data. And he's not a epidemiologists btw, in fact I don't think he has any medical or health background.
                                                              Last edited by Mellor; 20-08-20, 12:08.

Comment

It has lots of properties that make it less practical than gold as a store of wealth.

Comment

Thought I was having a job interview this morning, friend of a friend who works for a recruitment crowd and have met IRL, and seemed sound organised it. Interesting role, minimal commute with plenty of opportunity to WFH and generous uplift (only ever heard that term here) to what I'm currently earning.

Meant to have a video interview this morning @ 10:40, instructions in email, shouldnt be more than 30-40 mins, click on video link once we have called you to confirm, sitting there waiting till 11:20, interviews can go over and I understand that.

Called the recruiter and said I've had no call, says he'll get back to me straight away, calls me back after 15 mins and says there has been a "mix up", and can we do it at 13:30, I said no problem but can't run over time as have other stuff on.

Still sitting here. Just deciding how to tell them both to GFY but in a professional way.
                                                                  Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Ah look , the use case is only for criminal transactions and anyone who pretends otherwise is a fool. The energy use problem is real and no amount watching the Winkletwat twins snaring gobshites into buying it is gonna change that.
                                                                    I'm not for or against crypto, I understand the technologies, the relationship with fiat currencies and I understand what they need to achieve in order to become a transnational currency.
                                                                    Gamble away good luck in finding a winner in that field, this morning I saw a scan of the winner of the 2028 Cheltenham Gold Cup if you'd like to invest

The energy use problem is not real. For bitcoin miners electricity is by far the largest cost, so the mining rigs tend to be located where electricity is very cheap. This means they typically end up being beside hydroelectric dams where electricity is going to be otherwise wasted. https://qz.com/1364657/bitcoins-ener...-as-you-think/

Also, Etherium, the 2nd largest crypto, will be moving to a proof of stake network, rather than a proof of work network, which means a vast reduction in electricity consumption. https://blockgeeks.com/guides/proof-...roof-of-stake/

The use case argument is just incorrect, just this week Microstrategy announced they were adopting bitcoin as their treasury reserve, and promptly bought $250 million worth of bitcoin. https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...-Reserve-Asset

The biggest buyer of bitcoin over the last few months is Greyscale. A publically listed security. The main purpose of this fund is to allow institutional investors gain exposure to bitcoin. The fund is worth over 3 billion. https://grayscale.co/bitcoin-trust/

https://news.bitcoin.com/grayscale-b...2.6%20million.

As for finding a winner, Bitcoin and Etherium dwarf all the other projects by several orders of magnitude, so it shouldn't be too hard to pick a winner.
                                                                    Last edited by Hectorjelly; 20-08-20, 13:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

It has lots of properties that make it less practical than gold as a store of wealth.
                                                                      I can think of one?

Comment

For the foreseeable (And the last 6 months) the Top Job and the Minister for Health will be the main Barometer for how the government is performing. Blue Shirt voter here already worried about the next election and what could happen. Martin and Donnelly are absolutely fucking unbearable. Not sure there is a way back for them. Martin 'Rejecting' claims that the latest guidelines are unclear. The fucking state of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                          For the foreseeable (And the last 6 months) the Top Job and the Minister for Health will be the main Barometer for how the government is performing. Blue Shirt voter here already worried about the next election and what could happen. Martin and Donnelly are absolutely fucking unbearable. Not sure there is a way back for them. Martin 'Rejecting' claims that the latest guidelines are unclear. The fucking state of that.
                                                                          People voted for these morons when there was a competent government in place. Buyer beware.

Comment

I can think of one?
                                                                            No 51% attacks in gold
                                                                            You're not gonna lose your keys to gold
                                                                            Gold has a fraction of the volatility
                                                                            Gold has real word uses that backstop its value
                                                                            Gold has been universally valuable since the beginning of history
                                                                            Gold has greater institutional support than bitcoin will ever have
                                                                            Gold doesn't have so many competing similar products

Cypto's value comes from it being a ponzi scheme

Comment

Also. Miss it in here. Get some error on mobile every time i log in on my mobile browser that makes me leave it. Maybe i should use Tapatalk.

Comment

Last edited by Denny Crane; 20-08-20, 13:20.

Comment

No 51% attacks in gold
                                                                                  You're not gonna lose your keys to gold
                                                                                  Gold has a fraction of the volatility
                                                                                  Gold has real word uses that backstop its value
                                                                                  Gold has been universally valuable since the beginning of history
                                                                                  Gold has greater institutional support than bitcoin will ever have
                                                                                  Gold doesn't have so many competing similar products

This. Until governments\central banks recognise and regulate crypto, it's just a wild west for scamming and speculative purposes only. That's the reality of it.

These comments do not apply to the technology itself...

Comment

Had to flee Tayto Park after being drenched several times.

Would say covid restrictions make it far less craic than previous. Half the place is closed and queues are moving more sluggishly due to regs. And the rollercoaster was closed because of the wind (I pretended to be upset).

Comment

1 The energy use problem is not real. For bitcoin miners electricity is by far the largest cost, so the mining rigs tend to be located where electricity is very cheap. This means they typically end up being beside hydroelectric dams where electricity is going to be otherwise wasted. https://qz.com/1364657/bitcoins-ener...-as-you-think/

Also, 2 Etherium, the 2nd largest crypto, will be moving to a proof of stake network, rather than a proof of work network, which means a vast reduction in electricity consumption. https://blockgeeks.com/guides/proof-...roof-of-stake/

.............

As for finding a winner, Bitcoin and Etherium dwarf all the other projects by several orders of magnitude, so it shouldn't be too hard to pick a winner.
                                                                                      This is a contradictory mess.
                                                                                      1 - There is no energy consumption issue.
                                                                                      2 - but Ethereum is moving to proof of Stake to get away from the energy consumption issue

What problems do cryptocurrencies solve that fiat can't?
                                                                                      That's the important part.

I can give you a list of problems that fiat solves that cryptocurrencies can't.

And then from there is a value judgement as to which you or I consider more important I suppose.

As RD3 says, Blockchain as a concept that helped to create Bitcoin is certainly useful. Bitcoin itself I am less sure of.

Comment

I ended up getting an Oculus Quest it having been stuck in my head the last few months after Opr I think it was talked about it. Mine arrived yesterday and I have to say it's actually mind blowing.

I've never used vr before and it's so far beyond my expectations.

Anyone else use one have any recommendations on how to get the most out of it? The possibilities seem to be endless.

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                            Also. Miss it in here. Get some error on mobile every time i log in on my mobile browser that makes me leave it. Maybe i should use Tapatalk.
                                                                                            Have you tried different browsers? I presume so, but who knows!

Comment

...

Comment

Lol... Jess Brennan.

Bad form is temporary, classlessness is permanent.

Comment

Steve Bannon arrested. charged with fraud and money laundering https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/20/n...-indicted.html
                                                                                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Have you tried different browsers? I presume so, but who knows!
                                                                                                    It's on Chrome. Always met by the consent followed by the other without fail. Not the biggest of deals but annoying.
                                                                                                    Attached Files

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

This is a contradictory mess.
                                                                                                        1 - There is no energy consumption issue.
                                                                                                        2 - but Ethereum is moving to proof of Stake to get away from the energy consumption issue

What problems do cryptocurrencies solve that fiat can't?
                                                                                                        That's the important part.

I can give you a list of problems that fiat solves that cryptocurrencies can't.

And then from there is a value judgement as to which you or I consider more important I suppose.

As RD3 says, Blockchain as a concept that helped to create Bitcoin is certainly useful. Bitcoin itself I am less sure of.

It's not contradictory. There are benefits to proof of stake that have nothing to do with energy consumption. What I was saying is that energy consumption isn't much of an issue now, and it will be even less of an issue in the future.

Digital currencies solve many problems, there are so many advantages to digital currency I wouldn't know where to start to list them. I also wouldn't be the most informed or eloquent speaker on the topic. The most pressing problem right now that digital currency solves is an escape route for people in countries with huge inflation, i.e. Turkey/Brazil.

Almost every central bank around the world is exploring their own digital currency because they realise the problems with non-digital money. There's a comprehensive list here. https://www.theblockcrypto.com/post/...esearch-report

Comment

You need to look up what a Ponzi scheme is.

Comment

The energy use problem is not real. For bitcoin miners electricity is by far the largest cost, so the mining rigs tend to be located where electricity is very cheap. This means they typically end up being beside hydroelectric dams where electricity is going to be otherwise wasted. https://qz.com/1364657/bitcoins-ener...-as-you-think/
                                                                                                            Good LOL out loud at that just think about what you are saying there
                                                                                                            The use case argument is just incorrect, just this week Microstrategy announced they were adopting bitcoin as their treasury reserve, and promptly bought $250 million worth of bitcoin. https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...-Reserve-Asset
                                                                                                            I'll let you do your own thinking about that the real implications of that are.
                                                                                                            Let me give you a clue, for very little money I can present you with a wholly new codebase, crude as fck but working, yellow pack version of any one of these designs.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

This. Until governments\central banks recognise and regulate crypto, it's just a wild west for scamming and speculative purposes only. That's the reality of it.

These comments do not apply to the technology itself...
                                                                                                              That's a good analogy for it. It is the wild west, and due to the lack of regulation, you get incredible innovation and an incredible amount of fraud. These days though it has a large amount of institutional support (which I've already highlighted above) and many central banks have tacitly recognised it. As for regulation, well that is basically the whole point of bitcoin. You can't regulate it.

This ad has been shown across America over the last few weeks.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Good LOL out loud at that just think about what you are saying there

I'll let you do your own thinking about that the real implications of that are.
                                                                                                                Let me give you a clue, for very little money I can present you with a wholly new codebase, crude as fck but working, yellow pack version of any one of these designs.
                                                                                                                Congratulations, you worked out that bitcoin is open source.

Comment

That's a good analogy for it. It is the wild west, and due to the lack of regulation, you get incredible innovation and an incredible amount of fraud. These days though it has a large amount of institutional support (which I've already highlighted above) and many central banks have tacitly recognised it. As for regulation, well that is basically the whole point of bitcoin. You can't regulate it.

This ad has been shown across America over the last few weeks.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Just as a matter of interest, why have you become such an evangelist for crypto? I clearly missed a memo somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Just as a matter of interest, why have you become such an evangelist for crypto? I clearly missed a memo somewhere.
                                                                                                                    There's more money in crypto than poker, and the memes are better.

Comment

Congratulations, you worked out that bitcoin is open source.
                                                                                                                      Yeah thats what I'm pointing you towards
                                                                                                                      The coin is either worthless or worth far more than it is now, just about all of the big holders are crooks, good luck with outplaying them.

Comment

The most pressing problem right now that digital currency solves is an escape route for people in countries with huge inflation, i.e. Turkey/Brazil.
                                                                                                                        How does it solve that problem in a way that buying EUR, USD, CHF or indeed XAU doesn't?

Comment

There's more money in crypto than poker, and the memes are better.
                                                                                                                          But are you actually working and\or speculating in crypto?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X