This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Not in the slightest. Most extra rice is left in the fridge then eaten in 1-3 days. Anything else frozen. Can easily do the same with mashed spuds. Although getting a pressure cooker was a game changer, it's the same effort to make 10x or 2x portions of rice/beans. EZ game, stress-free life.
    left over mash, plus eggs, plus onion , plus grated cheese , plus flour....
    = heaven
    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        (f) is why the online shop is for stuff like detergent, toilet paper, rice, etc. The boring stuff that makes up 70-80% of the bulk of what people buy.
        I'm pretty sure that kind of stuff makes up about 20% of my shopping. Not that the rest is exciting or anything.
        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

I don't like shopping in Tesco, we used to do our shop there and felt that the prices went up quite a bit over time. We were still buying pretty much the same each week but could really notice the weekly spend tick up.

We changed to Dunnes in Rathmines a few years ago and are still with them - The €10 off when you spend €50 is decent and we always have a few items in mind that won't go off and will be used if we need to top up to €100 to get the 2nd voucher. We don't go to the effort Strewel goes to of totting it up as we go along, rather if we get to the till and the total is 97.50, we just nip back and grab something quickly.

I never would have minded doing the weekly shop - We have a set list of all things we possibly need and mark them as needed before we go based on what we have / what we plan to eat - Don't think we're quite as organised as Coillcam but it works.

All that said, since lock down has kicked in, I fairly hate the weekly shop and I think I would take a delivery if we could but the main fear is getting items with a shit sell by date for fresh meat and the likes, it's something I'm very particular about - I'm essentially a milk maid from Clerks

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Friends of mine use it, they don't really care about the fee over the convenience which is the market they want/have.
            If they can make a profit the supermarkets can easily make a profit doing it as their markup would be higher, especially on own brands, bakery and so on.
            Even with the fee+ 15% they're not making money. They're supported by the likes of Unilever because it's a more direct line to the customer.

They keep saying it's a play for when it is a profitable market. Doesn't make sense to me, surely they'll just be swamped by a bigger outfit or the shops directly.
            ​​​​

Comment

I know I've posted about this before but China really are making massive strides into owning the complete supply chain for what they need to run their economy.

The latest example is the importation of Bauxite from Guinea to China where they control pretty much every aspect of it from the actual mines in Guinea, to the ports where the cargo will be loaded to the vessels that will sail to China - All three elements are Chinese owned - They have full control over the full supply chain which is very hard to be effected by any kind of trade dispute etc

The next potential big thing could hing on relationships with the Aussies where a trade war could break out and if China will switch to bring all the iron ore they need from Brazil instead, again all of which would be moved on Chinese owned vessels.

it's equally impressive as it is scary.

Comment

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Yeah, I don't think that is the case.
                    Most people I know are inherently against the idea of home delivery as
                    a) they aren't organised enough to make a definitive list of what they need
                    b) use 'the big shop' as a form of escapism and is a weekly ritual
                    c) dont do a 'big shop' and shop as escapism several times a week
                    d) worried about missing a hitherto unknown deal
                    e) they'd miss the ability to impulse buy.
                    f) don't trust the pickers to get the 'right' bits of meat, fruit or veg

Is all this highly illogical in the face of the convenience of online shopping?
                    Of course, but nobody said people are logical
                    F) If you've ever used tesco online, you know they are worst for giving you fruit and veg with 2-3 days fridge/shelf life. I got sick of sending stuff back with the delivery guy during c19 and would probably never use them again.
                    Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Comment

The bro in Naas was saying he shops in a particular butchers and he was in there last week and made the standard butcher-shop smalltalk: 'oh those steaks look great'. The guy was saying that they should be as the cow was just slaughtered out the back that morning. The butcher has an actual abattoir attached to it. Thats some level of freshness, although slightly disturbing.
                        Pretty standard not so long ago.

Comment

anyone for another lockdown?
                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

We've now had three tradespeople traverse up and down the very long Newtownpark Avenue repeatedly ringing asking 'and where are you exactly...?' rather than type the eircode into Google Maps which gives the exact location of the building. I don't get it. Yesterday it was a guy who's job is to find people's house, pick up their excess thrash, and drive it away. That's his only job as far as I know. Well he calls himself Pat the Rubbish Man. Yet he spent a good 40 minutes lost on the road despite me suggesting a few times that he type in the eircode. We ended up with a compromise that I would instead stand on the road in the rain and then when he saw the only guy stupid enough to be standing on the road in the rain he would know he was there.
                            Ha ha

Reminds me of the time I left the Fitz one morning to find a clamp on my car in the small car park at the back of the building.(I somehow managed to park in one of the few spaces that APCOA patrolled)

Had to wait another hour and a half or so before they could call out so hopped back into a short handed game and made another couple of hundred.

He rings then not knowing how to find my car. "But you clamped the fucking thing" was obviously not going to work, nor looking at a map so had to stand out at the front of the lane and wave him in. I had a funeral mass to attend so I was hurrying him on.
                            He was expecting some sort of verbals I think but I was just in that sort of hurry up watch glancing mode. Casual how much is it? and then pulling out the old Goodfellas roll and peeling off a few nifties!

I miss my roll.

Comment

Whaaaat?! (b) to (e) or not so much illogical as highly depressing statements about people. (a) is a one-off step, and (f) is why the online shop is for stuff like detergent, toilet paper, rice, etc. The boring stuff that makes up 70-80% of the bulk of what people buy.
                              Humans aren’t logical. We are emotional.

If the world was all logic there’d only be one type of car.
                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

anyone for another lockdown?
                                Flip flop Martin will never make a hard choice like that surely.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Humans aren’t logical. We are emotional.

If the world was all logic there’d only be one type of car.
                                  And furthermore if the world was all logic merging traffic would actually work better! (Drives me nuts the idiots who dont get it)

Actually that phrase sounds like a good essay title..

If the world was all logic. Please discuss.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Flip flop Martin will never make a hard choice like that surely.
                                    asking those at risk to make personal decisions is a bit of a cop out tbf

Comment

Probably going to regret this, but I just sold my ethereum. Just with the move and everything it's better to have a bit of cash flow. A handy 2k gain in any case which is not to be sneezed at no siree.
                                      nice profit but you're no Mike Novogratz. He bought at a dollar in 2017 and held them up to 1300! Hedge Fund balls are not the same as individual balls obvs

Comment

Originally posted by paul8200 View Post

nice profit but you're no Mike Novogratz. He bought at a dollar in 2017 and held them up to 1300! Hedge Fund balls are not the same as individual balls obvs
                                        Plenty of eunuchs in that business

Comment

I once had a woman from Google Maps call me for directions.
                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Comment

Schools to reopen ONLY if you order a school dinner

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                Schools to reopen ONLY if you order a school dinner
                                                some things should not be joked about
                                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

some things should not be joked about
                                                  I'd be a bit more worried about them sending each group of kids home after 105 minutes!

Comment

The bro in Naas was saying he shops in a particular butchers and he was in there last week and made the standard butcher-shop smalltalk: 'oh those steaks look great'. The guy was saying that they should be as the cow was just slaughtered out the back that morning. The butcher has an actual abattoir attached to it. Thats some level of freshness, although slightly disturbing.
                                                    Derek is a spoofer it was actually slaughtered at his brother's place in Kilcullen but it is true its a great shop and they do run a full farm to fork operation.
                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Looks like time for the GAA to call itself a church/religion, and the games are their religious service/mass. Hardly a huge ideological change, and may even have tax benefits.

Comment

Anyone on here a contractor who pays an accountant for handling their payroll & tax issues (PRSI / PAYE) for them? What kind of ballpark figure are we talking for such services? So hard to get a straight answer!

Or likewise anyone an accountant that offers such a service and can chip in?
                                                        Last edited by Emmet; 18-08-20, 22:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                          Anyone on here a contractor who pays an accountant for handling their payroll & tax issues (PRSI / PAYE) for them? What kind of ballpark figure are we talking for such services? So hard to get a straight answer!
                                                          I paid 2,5k plus VAT per year as a LTD company.
                                                          This was a fucking country mile above the normal rate apparently and most will do it for 400-600

Comment

I paid 2,5k plus VAT per year as a LTD company.
                                                            This was a fucking country mile above the normal rate apparently and most will do it for 400-600
                                                            i pay 179 per month. extra for personal tax returns and occasional yearly stuff but they do a lot with what i throw them

Comment

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

The inner butcher in me is cringing... Someone in that story is ignorant.
                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Yeah, are you not meant to be hanging meat for 10-15 days min?

Comment

I assumed that the butcher was making a joke about it being his own beef. Wasn't supposed to be taken literally, I'd hope anyway.
                                                                    The carcass would still be warm after a few hours.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                      Looks like time for the GAA to call itself a church/religion, and the games are their religious service/mass. Hardly a huge ideological change, and may even have tax benefits.
                                                                      This is perfect.

Fucking neck of them demanding the CMO take time out of his schedule to go through his data.
                                                                      Last edited by Lazare; 19-08-20, 07:41.
                                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Nonononononononononono
                                                                        Shawna Scott's 15-year love affair with Dublin had soured long before the arrival of Covid-19 into Ireland. The capital's housing crisis meant she had queued with 40 others to view apartments and once had to sleep on friends' sofas for three months.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

This is perfect.

Fucking neck of them demanding the CMO take time out of his schedule to go through his data.
                                                                          Yeah it’s ridiculous, fair play to league of Ireland they managed to put out a statement that didn’t contain a trace of self pity , GAA could take some lessons

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                            Yeah, are you not meant to be hanging meat for 10-15 days min?
                                                                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                              There is something deliciously durty about Susie Dent .

Comment

This is perfect.

The measures are completely incoherent. You can still have 50 people at a wedding but can't have any spectators in outdoor venues that can normally hold 10000 people. From a sports perspective you can only have 15 at a training session even if it is non contact but they can play full contact against 15 strangers if it's a match. Indoor mass is exempt.

This is pretty lamentable stuff and gives the impression that they're either making up nonsense to be seen to be doing something, or that they're trying to poke a few GAA-shaped bears to distract from the fact that they've done a terrible job on food processing plants and direct provision despite them being widely flaggedas looming disasters for something approaching six months.

​​​

Comment

Home schooled guy won his case https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2020/...des-challenge/

Comment

This is perfect.

I'd genuinely love to see the data related to football spreading the virus. I can go to a food pub and get locked with the same lads on the team but cant train with over 15 or go and watch a game. It makes no sense.

The CMO is having a mare since Holohan left and I never thought I'd say it but I miss Varadkar and Harris. At least they came out straight and told us what was going on. Irish people will never learn voting FF

Comment

Originally posted by paul8200 View Post

i pay 179 per month. extra for personal tax returns and occasional yearly stuff but they do a lot with what i throw them
                                                                                      What are you lads doing? Laundering money?

I paid 500+VAT for about 10 years (as a sole trader, mind you. You guys are probably LTD Co.) to get my yearly income tax done then when I went PAYE again found another guy to do the rental income for 200+ vat.

Mind you I do all the book-keeping myself so he gets a nice, clean spreadsheet at the end of the financial year. Less than one hour per month to capture the income and expenses and reclaim VAT every couple of months.

You definitely should try and avoid paying an accountant for any of that as they'll rape you.

If you want his name Emmet, PM me.
                                                                                      Last edited by BennyHiFi; 19-08-20, 10:01.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

I'd genuinely love to see the data related to football spreading the virus. I can go to a food pub and get locked with the same lads on the team but cant train with over 15 or go and watch a game. It makes no sense.

The CMO is having a mare since Holohan left and I never thought I'd say it but I miss Varadkar and Harris. At least they came out straight and told us what was going on. Irish people will never learn voting FF
                                                                                        Sneaky Leo knew what he was doing taking a back seat this time around, back in march we watched the pressers with out mouths open, believed what they said maybe 90%, all about flattening the curve, making sure we took the pressure off the HSE.

What i find bizare is no journo asked about the avoid public transport message, masks either work or not, have they community transmission traced back to buses should have been asked.
                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

...

Comment

I see the state needs to pick up the tab for someones odd educational choices by having to provide a teacher to grade the work.
                                                                                            A lot cheaper I would expect than x years of education provided by the state.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

A lot cheaper I would expect than x years of education provided by the state.
                                                                                              Yeah but then you're going to pay for his incarceration when he flips his wig and murders a bunch of people.

Home-schoolers = nutcases. It's a fact*.

*
                                                                                              SPOILER
                                                                                              like a Hitch fact but sounds plausible

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                FF are viral super-spreaders*. Everything was fine until they got in.

*
                                                                                                SPOILER
                                                                                                may not be proven by lab evidence but you wouldn't be surprised
                                                                                                .

Comment

€800 pa for end of year books
                                                                                                  €300 pa for monthly payroll

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                    Was trying to explain Beavis and Butthead to my eldest last week. She's now addicted.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Weddings are a fundamental part of society ahead of sport? Not marriage, but weddings? Don't think I follow you there Hitch.

Not agreeing with this common narrative of we miss FG and Leo either. He read speeches written by someone else in the thick of lockdown where all he had to say was stay indoors. This is a much harder stage and you can be sure he would be doing no better a job than MM, just speaks better.
                                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

The (bipartisan) Senate Intelligence Committee report on Russian election tampering is out. Reading that just makes it all the more incredible how the GOP voted down impeachment without even making a pretence at considering the evidence.

I mean for example:

Trump’s Campaign chairman colluded with a Russian agent
                                                                                                            Undeniable fact signed off on by both Republican and Democrat Senators yet no-one gives a shit.

I wonder if the Dems sweep the Senate and the WH in November, will they re-open this can of worms? Surely enough to sink the career of any GOP politician who voted against.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                              Weddings are a fundamental part of society ahead of sport? Not marriage, but weddings? Don't think I follow you there Hitch.
                                                                                                              I think if you ask most people to recount the most memorable days of their life, their wedding day should be at or at least very near the top ahead of some day where they kicked\hit\threw a spherical object about.

At least if they have any sense at all.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Not agreeing with this common narrative of we miss FG and Leo either. He read speeches written by someone else in the thick of lockdown where all he had to say was stay indoors. This is a much harder stage and you can be sure he would be doing no better a job than MM, just speaks better.
                                                                                                                Meh, the main point was that communication was coming and it was clear. We've heard absolutely nothing since the government changed hands. Even a weekly update at this stage I'd be happy with but all the wondering about what's happening is head melting. Even last nights announcement is clear as mud.

Comment

ugh, hopefully you just wrote that during an off-moment and you haven't gone all kerry on us. The rules by NPHET, and scientifically, are consistent and coherent - that as much as possible should be shut. So anything that is shut is consistent with the advice. The government are then making some exemptions based on a mixture of what people seem to value most and a balance between what supports loads of jobs and can have minimum risk.

You hardly think they made up the matches risk thing, do you, and that Bob on Twitter has spotted the flaw? They said they've noticed clusters specifically related to sporting events. It's maybe not the sport itself its people sharing a car to get there, or going out for beers together afterwards, or something. But its there. Unless you think one of the lead epidemiologists didn't get picked for the hurling team as a kid and is using a global pandemic to even the score. NPHET themselves said they were surprised as they thought, like most countries, that outdoor events were quite riskless. Anyway, when we start doubting epidemiologists on epidemics we may as well say good luck to the elderly people in our lives as they are just going to be killed by national stupidity.

Weddings are allowed in minimal form because this is a fundamental part of society. As are funerals and other worship because its a deeply important fabric of society for a lot of society. Nobody is saying these events are zero risk while gaa is killer risk, they are saying the risks of weddings and funerals and masses are worth the risk given their social importance. You're not religious, I'm not religious, but a lot of lonely and elderly people are religious, and it seems it has been judged important to keep that part of society motoring as a result. They did the same in France for the same reason despite that society having zero religion in politics and the initial covid outbreaks happening in churches. Weddings also support a lot of regional hotel jobs, so there's a decent economic benefit there too.

Its not even intended to be a perfectly coherent system, so that's such a madly unrealistic bar to judge the system by - do the few million moving blocks that make up society all move in a way that matches my preconception of what a coherent system looks like. There are no perfectly coherent systems in any country in the world for anything. How would we suddenly have a perfectly coherent system for handling an epidemic where we don't even know, or are learning day-by-day, what is causing the key risks.
                                                                                                                  As you can see if you read what I wrote - the measures are incoherent. I'm absolutely certain Dr Glynn is excellent at what he does. I'm totally unconvinced the advice given by NPHET, after being digested by and regurgitated by the government (of which my party is a member don't forget) are coherent. 15 guys is the limit at rugby training this evening, but those 15 can play against another 15 on Sunday isn't some unavoidable Gordian knot - it's a highly obvious, highly visible absurdity to the level of making people question the brains behind all the rest of the measures.

You can cast your mind back to March when the message was 'flatten the curve, stop the hospitals from getting overrun'. Compliance was across the board. Masks for weeks - 'we kind of think you might maybe should think about wearing one' - no compliance. 'Listen dickhead - wear a mask in the shop' - huge compliance. We're now in a situation where the goal has been lost, the messaging has been contradictory and the measures don't stand up to the weakest scrutiny around loads of activities and settings that people are very interested in and aware of. Compliance has suffered and will continue to break down where the government continue to mix their messages and pick and choose measures which contradict one another. Anyway, we'll chat more at the match (no) after mass (cool).

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

The inner butcher in me is cringing... Someone in that story is ignorant.
                                                                                                                    Its the kind of thing they say to townies to assure of quality/freshness.
                                                                                                                    Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I think if you ask most people to recount the most memorable days of their life, their wedding day should be at or at least very near the top ahead of some day where they kicked\hit\threw a spherical object about.

At least if they have any sense at all.
                                                                                                                      sure, but other peoples most memorable time might be a trip around the world or their favorite music festival, doesn't mean we should apply a different logic to those events

airport, lol

Comment

Efxx0MaWkAYJWZA?format=jpg&name=900x900.jpg

Comment

to whom it may concern

https://www.irishpokerboards.com/for...-ipb-fpl-20-21

decision needed on direction for the IPB FPL comp
                                                                                                                          Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X