Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking of a sirloin, or maybe a picanha. Something with a fat layer to avoid trim too much meat.

i seen some people rehydrate the trimmed pellicle and grind it for burgers. Would definitely go that route if I had a grinder.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
      I was thinking of a sirloin, or maybe a picanha. Something with a fat layer to avoid trim too much meat.

i seen some people rehydrate the trimmed pellicle and grind it for burgers. Would definitely go that route if I had a grinder.
      Yea opinion seems split on whether you should consume it based on what I've read.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

Yea opinion seems split on whether you should consume it based on what I've read.
          Yeah. It’s logically got the most intense increase in flavour. But also probably also got a sizeable colony of bacteria.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            One or Putin's daughters competed on Dancing on Ice or some such tv frivolity watched by millions, so there's not some absolute veil of privacy. Maybe the Olympics too. I'd imagine some of the kids just choose to live private lives.
            Probably best if the serfs don't get to see how the slivoviki live, might raise unwanted questions.

Although they are probably too terrified to ask them.
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

If colleges are going to be mostly online, then why not just really open up the entry requirments, let 2x or 3x students start the course and take whatever the normal intake is into 2nd year? (French style?)
              Whatever happens, we're going to be listening to people moaning about this forever. I hate having to listen to LC coverage at the best of times.
              It has removed some of the cut and paste 'cost of kitting out a child for school' BS that the media unquestioningly regurgitates at this time of year.

So there is some win.

Comment

More indulgence

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

I swear to jayus, my four year old is purposely trying to wind me up.
                      You know the move, looking directly at me while doing the thing I just told her not to do.
                      In this case, spitting bits of pasta on the floor for "the fairies to make shoes"

Fuck you Grimm brothers.
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                        Youtube must have eventually allowed the explicit version though it seems to be kinda buried - only 35k views vs 95 million on the censored version.

No need to say which version you need to hear...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQg6R4Bhhz4
                        prefer the original
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ko2VXpW7_g

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

I don't know what historical setting you have modern Russia situated in, in your head, but this is a beyond bizarre depiction of how their people think. Put down the John Le Carre spectacles for the love of all humanity!
                          It's the kind of place that has laws against 'disrespecting the government'. And where the dictator has just been upgraded to dictator for life.

And invades its neighbours with impunity.

That's the kind of place it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

It's the kind of place that has laws against 'disrespecting the government'. And where the dictator has just been upgraded to dictator for life.

Still think they were chucking doctors out the window a few months ago?
                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Comment

And Ireland has a law against blasphemy which means nothing in practice the same as there for the ordinary person who you imagine is quivering in fear. In reality you'd be saddened by how boringly the same it is. Give up the Le Carre imagined reality!
                                Not any more we don't! Was removed from the constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

And don't forget the assassination program using radioactive materials!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Not any more we don't! Was removed from the constitution.
                                      And from the statute books. No such law now Hitch.
                                      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

I thought you were doing a comedy exaggeration thing there, but then remembered that nope, they actually did that!
                                        Only nation to deploy nuclear weapons on foreign soil or something like that?
                                        When you think about it, it's insane how much City of London is dependent on dirty rubles for that to have been allow slide.....twice.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Hmm. That's a very technical win. The US gave Israel nuclear weapon ability, so that is US nuclear weapons deployed on foreign soil even if the flag says otherwise.
                                              US put missiles in turkey during the Cuban missile crisis

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

US put missiles in turkey during the Cuban missile crisis
                                                'That was real? I saw that movie. I thought it was bullshit.'

Comment

Think the US has always stationed bombs in Europe.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Succession is overrated, I’ve given it 7 episodes...next!
                                                        not as bad as the steaming pile of shit that is Better call saul (think I made it to episode 5)
                                                        going to be a deathbed regret that I kept trying new shows after finishing the wire

Comment

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiBPbXR3WNo

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                            not as bad as the steaming pile of shit that is Better call saul (think I made it to episode 5)
                                                            going to be a deathbed regret that I kept trying new shows after finishing the wire
                                                            I feel sad for you that you're gonna have a Lalo Salamanca shaped hole in your life.
                                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Comment

How have all the other supermarkets decided to allow Tesco an effective monopoly on online delivery? It doesn't make any sense really that you would cede what will be the bulk of most shopping going forward.
                                                                Think super value have a decent service? I'm surprised myself that Aldi and Lidl have gone down the shitty half arsed versions that they have. And the Dunnes offering, where you have to phone in your order is just bizarre.

Comment

How have all the other supermarkets decided to allow Tesco an effective monopoly on online delivery? It doesn't make any sense really that you would cede what will be the bulk of most shopping going forward.
                                                                  Pretty certain most grocery shop deliveries are loss making.

€5 or something as a fee which is supposed to cover
                                                                  • staff to 'pick' the groceries
                                                                  • staff to deliver the groceries
                                                                  • infrastructure (refrigerated trucks etc) to assist
                                                                  It also reduces the impulse purchases and also the online shop allows people to find substitutes far more easily than in the shop.

Decades of honing a grocery business into being a funnel to pick extra cash off of people as they wander through the carefully arranged shop has not translated well to the online model. Plenty of arguments that we're going to need food price increases to support business model changes, that grocery shops have been using high margin item sales to cover discounts and razor thin margins elsewhere.

Comment

Comment

We've now had three tradespeople traverse up and down the very long Newtownpark Avenue repeatedly ringing asking 'and where are you exactly...?' rather than type the eircode into Google Maps which gives the exact location of the building. I don't get it. Yesterday it was a guy who's job is to find people's house, pick up their excess thrash, and drive it away. That's his only job as far as I know. Well he calls himself Pat the Rubbish Man. Yet he spent a good 40 minutes lost on the road despite me suggesting a few times that he type in the eircode. We ended up with a compromise that I would instead stand on the road in the rain and then when he saw the only guy stupid enough to be standing on the road in the rain he would know he was there.
                                                                      Welcome back to Eire! If they even appeared on the correct day, you should be grateful

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post

His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

We've now had three tradespeople traverse up and down the very long Newtownpark Avenue repeatedly ringing asking 'and where are you exactly...?' rather than type the eircode into Google Maps which gives the exact location of the building. I don't get it. Yesterday it was a guy who's job is to find people's house, pick up their excess thrash, and drive it away. That's his only job as far as I know. Well he calls himself Pat the Rubbish Man. Yet he spent a good 40 minutes lost on the road despite me suggesting a few times that he type in the eircode. We ended up with a compromise that I would instead stand on the road in the rain and then when he saw the only guy stupid enough to be standing on the road in the rain he would know he was there.
                                                                            If you moved into the place you posted before you're "at the top of newtownpark avenue across from the religious centre"

Comment

...

Comment

The problem, as loss making as it might be, if you cede the bulk shopping part of shopping then you are ceding most grocery sales to a rival. So how will you build a relationship with customers. There isn't a realistic alternative whereby if you don't have online shopping then people will instead drive to your shop. As in: grocery shopping except for a few bits and bobs is deeply unpleasant for nearly everyone, so paying a fiver to have someone else do most of it and bring it to your door is a no brainer. The 'you drive to us' market is only sustained by elderly people. I guess the reality then is that this is the way the market is and you risk allowing your rival a virtual monopoly on 'the big shop' if you don't acknowledge that as a supermarket.

The costs bit will all be worked out in due course with robots etc. In the same way as Amazon couldn't quite work out how to make money for their first 20 years but eventually got such market power that it started rolling in.
                                                                                Yeah, I don't think that is the case.
                                                                                Most people I know are inherently against the idea of home delivery as
                                                                                a) they aren't organised enough to make a definitive list of what they need
                                                                                b) use 'the big shop' as a form of escapism and is a weekly ritual
                                                                                c) dont do a 'big shop' and shop as escapism several times a week
                                                                                d) worried about missing a hitherto unknown deal
                                                                                e) they'd miss the ability to impulse buy.
                                                                                f) don't trust the pickers to get the 'right' bits of meat, fruit or veg

Is all this highly illogical in the face of the convenience of online shopping?
                                                                                Of course, but nobody said people are logical

Comment

Hmm. That's a very technical win. The US gave Israel nuclear weapon ability, so that is US nuclear weapons deployed on foreign soil even if the flag says otherwise.
                                                                                  I guess I mean execute nuclear attack on an allies soil?

damn multi quote...
                                                                                  everyone consider yourselves replied to.

Comment

The US gave Israel nuclear weapon ability.
                                                                                    It was actually the French who were instrumental in the Israeli program.

For bonus points: who did the Israelis sell their nuclear technology on to?

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Think super value have a decent service? I'm surprised myself that Aldi and Lidl have gone down the shitty half arsed versions that they have. And the Dunnes offering, where you have to phone in your order is just bizarre.
                                                                                      To me it's a mystery how Dunnes is still in business. They are simply horrible to their staff and along with Supervalu the most expensive place to shop. Lidl's new savings app seems to be getting a bit of traction from a few people I've spoken to.

Comment

An interesting read on how Israel developed nukes. With ze Frogz.

Contrary to what you might assume too:

the United States opposed Israel’s nuclear weapons program during the John F. Kennedy and, to a lesser extent, Lyndon B. Johnson administrations

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Yeah, I don't think that is the case.
                                                                                          Most people I know are inherently against the idea of home delivery as
                                                                                          a) they aren't organised enough to make a definitive list of what they need
                                                                                          b) use 'the big shop' as a form of escapism and is a weekly ritual
                                                                                          c) dont do a 'big shop' and shop as escapism several times a week
                                                                                          d) worried about missing a hitherto unknown deal
                                                                                          e) they'd miss the ability to impulse buy.
                                                                                          f) don't trust the pickers to get the 'right' bits of meat, fruit or veg

Is all this highly illogical in the face of the convenience of online shopping?
                                                                                          Of course, but nobody said people are logical
                                                                                          a) This is the case 90% of the time.
                                                                                          b) & c) There's a large social element attached to this. My dad's excuse for multiple trips to the shop is to catch up on chats with people he wouldn't otherwise bump into.
                                                                                          d) & e) FOMO on deals is legit.
                                                                                          f) "I don't want someone else giving me fruit with bruises or touching my food" etc etc

Myself and the missus have been sticking to an agreed but flexible weekly menu for the last two years. This has made massive savings on shopping and completely eliminated food waste. Look at the fridge and freezer to see what you already have, pick your dinners and add your requirements to a shopping list. We use shared google keep checklists for shopping and dishes that we have cooked previously to speed up the process. 10-15 mins work once a week to decide on a menu and build the shopping list.

Intentionally cooking extra portions as leftovers to be frozen or used for lunch is key. Bulk cooking rice, pasta and beans makes it very easy to just add meat/veg to quickly spin up a dinner in a hurry. The caveat being that it is very handy to this as a couple by splitting the workload and having no kids to worry about.

Yes this sounds boring but really reduces stress levels and we'll always try make time for a nice meal once a week. Usually on Fri/Sat- sushi/bbq/steak/eamoqueca (TM)/something deep fried.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post

Disappointing that there;s no Ketamine supercut
                                                                                            Last edited by Denny Crane; 18-08-20, 10:30.

Comment

Does anyone use Buymie? 15% premium for online shopping always seemed high to me

Comment

He tried to warn you.

Comment

In our house we pay a high premium to be able to physically shop. Whoever does the shop PAYS for it. However I usually offer to do it as the peace and quiet is worth the money. I then come home say, Jayz that was exhausting I need a lie down.
                                                                                                  All in all 80 Euro money well spent. I usually buy a soon to be disposed item if I spot some bric o brac - Money well spent. The most useless thing I bought was a cardboard castle in ALDI. Hey the kids will love this. I sat in it on my own for 40 minutes, fell asleep as disposed of it at a later date, I being the only one who played with it – Money well spent.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

a) This is the case 90% of the time.
                                                                                                    b) & c) There's a large social element attached to this. My dad's excuse for multiple trips to the shop is to catch up on chats with people he wouldn't otherwise bump into.
                                                                                                    d) & e) FOMO on deals is legit.
                                                                                                    f) "I don't want someone else giving me fruit with bruises or touching my food" etc etc

Myself and the missus have been sticking to an agreed but flexible weekly menu for the last two years. This has made massive savings on shopping and completely eliminated food waste. Look at the fridge and freezer to see what you already have, pick your dinners and add your requirements to a shopping list. We use shared google keep checklists for shopping and dishes that we have cooked previously to speed up the process. 10-15 mins work once a week to decide on a menu and build the shopping list.

Intentionally cooking extra portions as leftovers to be frozen or used for lunch is key. Bulk cooking rice, pasta and beans makes it very easy to just add meat/veg to quickly spin up a dinner in a hurry. The caveat being that it is very handy to this as a couple by splitting the workload and having no kids to worry about.

Yes this sounds boring but really reduces stress levels and we'll always try make time for a nice meal once a week. Usually on Fri/Sat- sushi/bbq/steak/eamoqueca (TM)/something deep fried.
                                                                                                    Is it not dodgy reheating rice?

Comment

Bit o Mazzy?

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

It’s not the reheating that’s dodgy afaik. Only leaving it sit around at room temp, or in fridge, due to rapid bacteria growth. Freezing avoids the issue Id assume.

Comment

Reheating up to once is fine afaik, its the subsequent reheats may cause issues with bacteria.
                                                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                            Pretty certain most grocery shop deliveries are loss making.

€5 or something as a fee which is supposed to cover
                                                                                                            • staff to 'pick' the groceries
                                                                                                            • staff to deliver the groceries
                                                                                                            • infrastructure (refrigerated trucks etc) to assist
                                                                                                            It definitely costs them more than €5.
                                                                                                            But that’s not necessarily the same as making a loss.

Comment

The problem, as loss making as it might be, if you cede the bulk shopping part of shopping then you are ceding most grocery sales to a rival. So how will you build a relationship with customers. There isn't a realistic alternative whereby if you don't have online shopping then people will instead drive to your shop. As in: grocery shopping except for a few bits and bobs is deeply unpleasant for nearly everyone, so paying a fiver to have someone else do most of it and bring it to your door is a no brainer. The 'you drive to us' market is only sustained by elderly people. I guess the reality then is that this is the way the market is and you risk allowing your rival a virtual monopoly on 'the big shop' if you don't acknowledge that as a supermarket.

The costs bit will all be worked out in due course with robots etc. In the same way as Amazon couldn't quite work out how to make money for their first 20 years but eventually got such market power that it started rolling in.
                                                                                                              Those customers are costing you money, not making you money. Why service them? What is the long term benefit you see from spending money to provide goods to these customers?

There is little-to-no 'stickyness' going to be gained by utilising the existing 'pick & deliver' system which is quite expensive. If/when there is an economic way of doing so, Dunnes / Aldi et al will switch. And I don't think anyone is going to 'stick' to Tesco in that setting. If you are 'savvy' enough to do online shopping on tesco.ie, you can switch to aldi.ie in a heartbeat as soon as they're up and running. And there'll be "aggregator" apps setup quite easily where you put in your 'rough' shopping list and it says "would cost €63.25 in Tesco, delivery Tues, or €55.57 in Aldi, delivery Weds" which means that people won't even need to switch sites (basketchecker for groceries!).

The grocery business as a whole has for decades tried to drive differentiation within stores only. How exactly do you differentiate when people don't come to the shop?

I say this as someone who has had Ocado, Waitrose, Sainsburys and Morrisons deliveries arrive at the door in the last 5 months (I don't have a car).

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                                It definitely costs them more than €5.
                                                                                                                But that’s not necessarily the same as making a loss.
                                                                                                                Correct, minimum shopping baskets in London @ £60 across the board, what kind of margin can we average grocery out to? ~30% on a basket weighted average? (dunno, picking it out my arse)

How many orders do you need to do to cover the capital costs of a single refrigerated truck? Never mind the pickers and delivery wages and fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                                  Correct, minimum shopping baskets in London @ £60 across the board, what kind of margin can we average grocery out to? ~30% on a basket weighted average? (dunno, picking it out my arse)

How many orders do you need to do to cover the capital costs of a single refrigerated truck? Never mind the pickers and delivery wages and fuel.
                                                                                                                  I’d guess a single picker can pick €1,000+ of shopping a day. Multi-pickers working per day to fill a van.
                                                                                                                  Costs are into the hundreds, but I’d imagine there’s enough to over it.

Comment

Not in the slightest. Most extra rice is left in the fridge then eaten in 1-3 days. Anything else frozen. Can easily do the same with mashed spuds. Although getting a pressure cooker was a game changer, it's the same effort to make 10x or 2x portions of rice/beans. EZ game, stress-free life.

Comment

Doesnt Rice contain Arsenic ? Meh dunno read it somewhere when reheating some . Feck roll the dice I was starving

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                                        Does anyone use Buymie? 15% premium for online shopping always seemed high to me
                                                                                                                        Friends of mine use it, they don't really care about the fee over the convenience which is the market they want/have.
                                                                                                                        If they can make a profit the supermarkets can easily make a profit doing it as their markup would be higher, especially on own brands, bakery and so on.
                                                                                                                        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 18-08-20, 13:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                                          Doesnt Rice contain Arsenic ? Meh dunno read it somewhere when reheating some . Feck roll the dice I was starving
                                                                                                                          As long as you put it in the fridge/freezer soon after cooking basically < 1hr and only re-heat once your good. Thought that this is pretty much standard for all food. I would absolutely nuke the bollix out of it to be sure anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X