• Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Turin Breaks 20 years later also. Wait for the acoustic solo at the end,

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
        Turin Breaks 20 years later also. Wait for the acoustic solo at the end,
        On a 12 string guitar too. Nice.

If live music and bands being able to tour are a long-term covid casualty I'd seriously consider moving out of Dublin I think. Wouldn't grumble. 20-odd years was a good run.

Could grow into being PSV's worst nightmare.

Comment

Wheres my Saturday Racing Vigin Media you cunts

All Star Mr&Mrs reruns FFS

Comment

75 years today.

image.jpg
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Comment

I'm still on me 3km .
                Your still our champ

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                  The sooner people let that collective madness be forgotten like all the other wars, the better. Plebs dying from every side so big men can see who the biggest man is. I see Sky News is noting the participation by the Indians on the Brit side as if it was some noble gesture by the Indians rather than the cost of their slavery to the nobel British effort to rid the world of *ahem* bad countries.
                  You can't just erase history (no matter if good or bad).

The old line about those who fail to learn the lessons of history still applies today.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

The old line about those who fail to learn the lessons of history still applies today.
                    It's not really as simple as that. Part of the modern English problem is they can't get past the one bit of history they remember, i.e. Chamberlain and the second world war. That didn't work out to well for them regarding the last Iraq disaster.

Comment

The main thing we learn from history is that we repeatedly fail to learn from History. q.v. Trump
                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Eldest son was one of the unusually well behaved crowds up in the mountains cheering on the cyclists in the Tour of Lombardy, considering what they were going through in that area just a few months ago it is quite a hopeful day there.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

The main thing we learn from history is that we repeatedly fail to learn from History. q.v. Trump
                          Still my guitar gently weeeeeeps.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

It's not really as simple as that. Part of the modern English problem is they can't get past the one bit of history they remember, i.e. Chamberlain and the second world war. That didn't work out to well for them regarding the last Iraq disaster.
                            I would have thought Brexit was a far more appropriate example of the misapplication of historical memory regarding WW2.

You'll have to explain the Iraq\WW2 parallel to me.

Comment

200 new cases, 81 from Kildare. Did people just go back to dogging because the pubs are still closed?
                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

We've had the longest sustained period of peace in Europe ever. We might have learned a few things eventually.

Comment

Comment

This is fantastic
                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Benny, is there a delay on yours?

About 5 secs on mine. Exited and reopened and it didn't fix.

Minor inconvenience tbh

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                          Benny, is there a delay on yours?

About 5 secs on mine. Exited and reopened and it didn't fix.

Minor inconvenience tbh
                                          Fine for me Laz. No issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Refresh fixed it

Comment

Champions League is just one of those sporting tournaments that consistently delivers great entertainment. Similar to the Heineken Cup in rugby.

Pretty much the only soccer I watch all year and it's always really good in the knockout stages.

Comment

Comment

Pep should be horse whipped for that.

Comment

Nah. It's what is always said. But it's just plain wrong. The surest way of a politician in trouble to be re-elected is to start a war. Warmonging politicians in the image of Churchill are viewed as something admirable in the US and UK (Thatcher, Johnson when given a chance). And tough-guy politics is big everywhere. Hollywood can't stop making war movies that have tragedy but also glory at the heart of the story. So when exactly is the lesson going to be learned? Because it has been 75 years.
                                                    Hollywood <> real life. Feels like this calls for the Father Ted 'Dreams...reality' meme.

As said, we have had the longest sustained period of peace ever. Lessons have been learned. Look at the multilateral institutions put in place to prevent war after WW2. Successful ones.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                      He looks the kind to self-flagellate quite willingly.

Comment

Comment

I'm talking about these annual commemorations, just let them die, not the fact that the UN was (maybe) set up in its wake. People saying "we'll never forget" despite evidentially forgetting based on the idiots they elect.
                                                          I suppose that is most egregiously evident in Russia.

They are the ones who have the biggest fetish about WW2, skilfully leveraged by Putin. And he's started how many wars now? A shitload.

Comment

That was absolutely astounding Benny. Thank you so much for giving me the nudge, was himming and hawing all week about buying a ticket, thought it would be a kinda flat experience, didn't think it would feel live. I was very wrong. It was incredible. So immersive. The segues were fantastic.

That Belfast hip hop act towards the end were electric.

Buzzing here.

Gonna watch it again

Comment

I would have thought Brexit was a far more appropriate example of the misapplication of historical memory regarding WW2.

You'll have to explain the Iraq\WW2 parallel to me.
                                                              Conservatives at the time made the argument that leaving Hussein in power was like appeasing Hitler. https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...373-story.html

Comment

This is fantastic
                                                                Well that was pretty special. Talk about necessity being the mother of invention.

A real triumph of the human spirit in every sense.

The Kneecap and Mary Wallopers sections were fun counterpoints to the dark surrealism and brooding doom.

They've breathed new life into the drone which has been, for aeons, a cornerstone of music (and life) and we're luck to have their vision.

I sincerely hope they cleared their costs and made a few quid.

Comment

Kneecap are that Belfast trio yeah?

Comment

That was absolutely astounding Benny. Thank you so much for giving me the nudge, was himming and hawing all week about buying a ticket, thought it would be a kinda flat experience, didn't think it would feel live. I was very wrong. It was incredible. So immersive. The segues were fantastic.

That Belfast hip hop act towards the end were electric.

Buzzing here.

Gonna watch it again
                                                                    Glad you enjoyed it and I'll bore at length about how important these guys are to music at the moment. Easily as important as The Chieftans were, or Planxty in their day. And their influence is already casting a huge shadow.

Kneecap (the Belfast lads) are a great band - can't wait to see them live too. Someday hopefully.

I'll be watching again tomorrow with MrsHifi who is away tonight.

I know the production company who did the interlude pieces and they won't have been cheap (worked with the founder before).

I know the drummer fairly well (he's also the drummer in The Jimmy Cake) and his younger brother is the fiddle player. Very musical family and good people so I'm stoked for them.

Best e12 I've spent all year.

Comment

For sure.

Can't get over how good that was.

Comment

Did you tune in Solks, or SP?

Right up both of yizzer streets

Comment

Emmet too come to think

Comment

Kneecap are that Belfast trio yeah?
                                                                            Yes. There's a good few videos online. Great stuff. Not sure SP would approve mind you

Comment

Don't think I mentioned it but I got into them after shazamming 'Hunting the Wren' on John Kelly's Mystery Train.

I heard this mesmerising, haunting song, vocal harmonies with the timbre of bagpipes.

Shazammed it 3 or 4 days after my little one was born.

We had named her Wren.

Lyrics about overcoming adversity (my interpretation). This little Wren with broken wings dodging predators and surviving strong.

Mind was blown.

Comment

Still time. Online until 9.30pm tomorrow night.

I'd say eventually it'll go to YouTube but you'll never regret giving them e12 now and will only feel like a cheap heel if you watch it next year for free

Comment

Don't think I mentioned it but I got into them after shazamming 'Hunting the Wren' on John Kelly's Mystery Train.

I heard this mesmerising, haunting song, vocal harmonies with the timbre of bagpipes.

Shazammed it 3 or 4 days after my little one was born.

We had named her Wren.

Lyrics about overcoming adversity (my interpretation). This little Wren with broken wings dodging predators and surviving strong.

Mind was blown.
                                                                                  Wow. That's amazing man. Beautiful serendipity. They're in your family soul now.

Comment

Thanks man. ​​​​​​

Trying to figure out how to watch it again. Doesn't look like you can.

​​​​​​

Comment

Thanks man. ​​​​​​

Trying to figure out how to watch it again. Doesn't look like you can.

​​​​​​
                                                                                      Yeah I had a look at that myself and can't find an easy way without, perhaps, buying another ticket . That would be a real shame now.

Oh well, don't mind asking Mrs HiFi to spring for one tomorrow evening.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                        Jesus was not with City once again.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

Yeah I had a look at that myself and can't find an easy way without, perhaps, buying another ticket . That would be a real shame now.

Oh well, don't mind asking Mrs HiFi to spring for one tomorrow evening.
                                                                                          Forget that negativity. Just rewind the YouTube video. Literally scrub the video back and you're back at the start

Comment

Forget that negativity. Just rewind the YouTube video. Literally scrub the video back and you're back at the start
                                                                                            Haha, that worked.

Had to click on the YouTube icon to get to the slider.

Cool, haha, cheers.

Here we go again.

Comment

Haha, that worked.

Had to click on the YouTube icon to get to the slider.

Cool, haha, cheers.

Here we go again.
                                                                                              Yessssss! That's how good it was.

Normally I'd just dive into some other music now but I'm so pre-occupied with this I can't even think of listening to another band at the minute.

I genuinely believe The Young People is one of the greatest songs of the 21st century.

How many tunes about suicide, a blight that affects all of us but a topic that is generally avoided in polite company, can tug on the heart strings with a melody and sensitivity that reflects the complexity of the subject matter.

Simultaneously crushing and uplifting. Pure genius.

Comment

Very like A Lazarus Soul

Love these boys

Comment

Very like A Lazarus Soul

Love these boys
                                                                                                  Yeah they're great. They often reference the 'Black and Amber' in their songs. It was a pub in Islandbridge with flats (the Long Balconies) just opposite. I'm sure you know it Solks - maybe even had a pint there at some point?

It's a pub/buliding that has always intrigued me. It was massively long which you couldn't tell from the front and I wonder what they did in that space, the times that they had and how important it was to in the community.

Sadly I was never in it before it closed, oh.. I dunno maybe a decade or 15 years ago or maybe even more.

It was demolished a few years ago and apartments built. Another cultural casualty.

Just memories and ghosts replaced.
                                                                                                  Last edited by BennyHiFi; 15-08-20, 23:39.

Comment

I was never in it to my knowledge Benny. Was in a fair few over the years en route to Richmond Park. Cant even recall , from the Black horse to Dillons then the other direction the horse and jockey . So could have. They are all just a haze .

I didn't realise it was about St Michael's estate .

Comment

I was never in it to my knowledge Benny. Was in a fair few over the years en route to Richmond Park. Cant even recall , from the Black horse to Dillons then the other direction the horse and jockey . So could have. They are all just a haze .

I didn't realise it was about St Michael's estate .
                                                                                                      Well it would seem this was a 'Dillons' pub too (according to the sign anyway). Dunno if it was the same ones though.

The pub was opposite the entrance to the War Memorial Gardens, just before you head over the bridge and hit the Islandbridge junction at the Phoenix Park wall. There 's some funky cafe there around there now. The Storyboard I think.

Not sure the track is specifically about St. Michaels but the songwriter would obviously have an intimate knowledge of the inchicore/kilmainham/islandbrige area i'd imagine.

Comment

And while we're waiting for some music that's better than Lankum to roll around lets dig some WAP.

I can't even keep up with the lyrics which is generally a great sign...

Comment

Youtube must have eventually allowed the explicit version though it seems to be kinda buried - only 35k views vs 95 million on the censored version.

No need to say which version you need to hear...

MY INSTAGRAM: @itsjusthedroALL RIGHTS GO TO CARDI B AND MEGAN THEE STALLION AND ATLANTIC RECORDS

Comment

Yessssss! That's how good it was.

Normally I'd just dive into some other music now but I'm so pre-occupied with this I can't even think of listening to another band at the minute.

I genuinely believe The Young People is one of the greatest songs of the 21st century.

How many tunes about suicide, a blight that affects all of us but a topic that is generally avoided in polite company, can tug on the heart strings with a melody and sensitivity that reflects the complexity of the subject matter.

Simultaneously crushing and uplifting. Pure genius.

It's such a fantastic song. Same with The Granite Gaze, another dark theme that crushes and uplifts.

Well said.

Am in love with Radie Peat, she's haunting.

Comment

...

Comment

Presume he means different country each time?

Belgians are a special case of grumpy weirdos. Easy choice.

Comment

Conservatives at the time made the argument that leaving Hussein in power was like appeasing Hitler. https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...373-story.html
                                                                                                                  You can't stop idiots making idiotic arguments. Although they weren't actually in power at the time so those idiotic arguments seem irrelevant.

And when we read that this was the Daily Telegraph, it seems even more so. They would scream about the blitz spirit in response to anything.

Comment

No, only because I was out last night, how long is the stream available for?

Comment

No, only because I was out last night
                                                                                                                      Shouldn't you be bolted into the house in The Plague County?

Comment

And where is Saddam's imperial plan? He has been in charge of Iraq for some 30 years, and so far he's initiated hostilities with only two countries, Iran and Kuwait. Hitler dreamed of ruling the world. Hussein's grand vision was to control the whole of the Shatt al Arab waterway and some oil fields to his south.
                                                                                                                        Ah only an 8 year war with a million dead, Hitler was a way worse. What a strange author.

Is Kosovo not the better parallel for Iraq? It was the success there that emboldened Blair to attempt to do the same in Iraq.

Comment

Shouldn't you be bolted into the house in The Plague County?
                                                                                                                          Its a very odd restriction, it seems the guards are busy stopping the rest of the country getting into Kildare Village which had surprisingly IMO been booming since restrictions were eased.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X