This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Keane View Post
    Thanks for the bbq tips friends. I presume I'd be tarred andand feathered if I said a lot of people areare encouraging me to go with gas due to themthem being quicker, easier, cleaner?
    Ideally you'd have both. Charcoal for the weekend relaxing BBQ with beer and tunes, where the buzz is the process. Gas for that midweek after work BBQ.
    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      Ironically, HJ, I think you are exhibiting signs of the same polarisation.

Characterising supporters of the other side as 'evil, brainwashed or stupid' doesn't exactly scream levelheaded analysis.

Is there a rational justification for someone to support Trump now? I'd love to hear it, and I obviously accept you don't believe it.
      ​​​​​
      I think you are falling into the trap of thinking there are two sides to every story, the argument has been quite heavily debunked over the last few years.

​​​​​​

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

The genius of Trump is his ability to polarise.

Once you have successfully demonised your opponent in the eyes of your supporters (mainly through fear), they will stick with you forever. Especially in a contest with only two players!
            Saying genius and Trump in the same sentence is where you start off on the wrong foot.

There is a distinction between Republican and Trump supporters. Trump supporters fill the criteria HJ has set out

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

91% of Republicans are Trump supporters, so there's not really a distinction between Republican and Trump supporters.
                  I really doubt that is correct. There is no way in hell they are not thinking WTF on a regular basis . FAKE NEWS

Comment

The polarisation that Trump has brought to extraordinary levels is something that Biden / Harris will have to try and break through.
                    IMO they will have to find a way to allow Trump voters to forgive themselves for making such a catastrophic mistake without any mocking or taunting.... It's got to be Trump did this to you not that you elected him you got what you deserved!

A good strong move along the way might be to turn Trumps latest horrible xenophobic trope of constantly referring to the China Virus by only ever referring to The Trump Pandemic and the Trump Pandemic deaths. Its a defensible and accurate characterisation.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Is there a rational justification for someone to support Trump now? I'd love to hear it, and I obviously accept you don't believe it.
                      ​​​​​
                      I think you are falling into the trap of thinking there are two sides to every story, the argument has been quite heavily debunked over the last few years.

​​​​​​
                      42% of the US population is 'evil, brainwashed or stupid'? Seems an extreme position.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

​​​​​
                          I think you are falling into the trap of thinking there are two sides to every story, the argument has been quite heavily debunked over the last few years.​​​
                          You need to remember the 'yellow dog' aspect to American politics. It is insanely polarised. So as much as 40% of the electorate each way are fully locked in to their party for life and would vote for the aforementioned yellow dog ahead of the other side. It may seem strange to us but that's what it is. They don't even consider their vote as a choice.

It doesn't make them 'evil, brainwashed or stupid'. We used to do politics the same way in Ireland for decades remember, where you and your family were FF or FG for life.
                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                            The polarisation that Trump has brought to extraordinary levels is something that Biden / Harris will have to try and break through.
                            IMO they will have to find a way to allow Trump voters to forgive themselves for making such a catastrophic mistake without any mocking or taunting.... It's got to be Trump did this to you not that you elected him you got what you deserved!

A good strong move along the way might be to turn Trumps latest horrible xenophobic trope of constantly referring to the China Virus by only ever referring to The Trump Pandemic and the Trump Pandemic deaths. Its a defensible and accurate characterisation.

no, no, no

They need to forget about Trump voters - they're a writeoff.
                            Just bag the undecideds in the swing states. No need to campaign anywhere else really.

Hilary was right to call them 'the Deplorables'. Her mistake was saying it out loud.

Comment

91% of Republicans are Trump supporters, so there's not really a distinction between Republican and Trump supporters.
                              Replace 'Trump' with 'a talking Yellow Dog'.

It would still be 91%, or more.

edit; dog probably wouldn't even need to have the power of speech.

Comment

Let's not pretend that Democrat voters are any more sophisticated. You could equally exchange Biden for an animal and 90%+ of Dem voters would still vote for it.

Comment

Sinn Fein got 25 Wheelie Bins elected here in the last election FFS!
                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

You need to remember the 'yellow dog' aspect to American politics. It is insanely polarised. So as much as 40% of the electorate each way are fully locked in to their party for life and would vote for the aforementioned yellow dog ahead of the other side. It may seem strange to us but that's what it is. They don't even consider their vote as a choice.

It doesn't make them 'evil, brainwashed or stupid'. We used to do politics the same way in Ireland for decades remember, where you and your family were FF or FG for life.
                                    This is a concept that many people in Ireland don't understand yet we pretty much had the same situation throughout the history of our country. "I'll never vote for a blueshirt" was a favourite trope of my ould wan while shaking her fist. Or the regularly trotted out "I don't care how corrupt Haughey was, he did so much good for the country". Plenty of my family will have the opposite opinion. Despite having other choices ie Labour, PDs, Greens, Democratic Left or Sinn Fein it was always either FF or FG running the show.

The clear distinction though was that we had did and do have a clear choice in a 3rd or 4th party, the USA does not. You're either Blue or Red, or in the smaller group who could go either ways depending on the political/social zeitgeist. I don't think there's been a 3rd party candidate with significant votes in decades in the US. Another point to add that Clinton 2016 and Gore 2000 won the public vote but lost out due to electoral colleges, this couldn't happen in Ireland. It's a very strange and enormous country that should be considered as made of 50 smaller countries. Many of which are very different from each other.

Some of the biggest deciders on what party you voted for are average household income and location. The poorest states are in the South while being almost exclusively Republican, whereas the wealthier states tend to be in the North East and are predominately Democrat.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                      I don't think there's been a 3rd party candidate with significant votes in decades in the US. .
                                      They don't need significant votes to impact the result. Green and Libertarian candidates may well have been critical in (inadvertently) swinging a few states last time.

Ross Perot swung the 1992 election to Clinton.

Comment

The 1968 third party campaign was probably the most interesting one in recent history

Comment

That cant be too far from brainwashed to be fair
                                          airport, lol

Comment

no, no, no

They need to forget about Trump voters - they're a writeoff.
                                            Just bag the undecideds in the swing states. No need to campaign anywhere else really.

Hilary was right to call them 'the Deplorables'. Her mistake was saying it out loud.
                                            Strongly agree.
                                            The constant need to make doe eyes at shy republicans is one of the most infuriating things in US politics.
                                            Targeting apathetic voters needs to be their strategy. The lines are drawn, there's very few swing voters.
                                            It's all the folks who don't vote either through suppression or apathy that you need to get out.
                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I think we are on new ground though with Trump. He has already ripped up every rule book he encounters. I’ve had die hard Reps in the West coast of America tell me they are embarrassed by Trump and will not vote for him this time.
                                              The polarization is narrowing somewhat. It’s a new world. Sure look at how FF die hards abandoned them after their ludicrous stint during the crash an now the emergence of SF as a likely majority in the future. Our problem is lack of options and the same in the US but don’t think there isn’t a widely held opinion in the Republican demographic that they realise they’ve appointed a CLOWN. They are not all as stupid as you think.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Strongly agree.
                                                  The constant need to make doe eyes at shy republicans is one of the most infuriating things in US politics.
                                                  Targeting apathetic voters needs to be their strategy. The lines are drawn, there's very few swing voters.
                                                  It's all the folks who don't vote either through suppression or apathy that you need to get out.
                                                  That is key: voter suppression strategies.

I'm sure Washington has this in mind back in the day.

Comment

What exactly do you think Biden is? A mushroom?
                                                    Well he is a fun guy . (Ok it's an old one ) coat on

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                      The polarization is narrowing somewhat.
                                                      It is increasing.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                        Returned to work today and ended up with head cold or what can also be considered covid symptoms overnight. At 8.30am I scheduled a GP video consultation for 12:15pm through my laya plan. The doctor was a few mins late but explained plainly that everyone with cold/flu symptoms needs to present for testing. A few mins later the call was finished and my details passed on to testing team. At 2pm I got a text, followed by a call to confirm my appointment at 2.45pm. The appointment took all of 5 minutes, most of which was verifying my identity several times. The test was super quick and only minor discomfort. Should have results in about 3 days.

My health insurance plan has free video consultations at the moment and it really is a game changer. I've used it several times for same day appointments and only once have had to schedule for the next day. Trying to see my regular GP is a disaster. When my gf moved here initially, she tried at least 6 or 7 different surgeries before they would take her on as a patient.

If you can afford health insurance and don't have it, absolutely get on that train asap.
                                                        Results back already, logged into my laya account to view them and Covid free as expected. Some turnaround time in fairness. Less than 24 hours from when I was swabbed.

Comment

It is increasing.
                                                          You've been wrong before . All you are seeing is the ugly underbelly that Trump likes to encourage. These folk were always there . I'm expecting a landslide of Epic proportions . Let's see what the electorate say .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

You've been wrong before . All you are seeing is the ugly underbelly that Trump likes to encourage. These folk were always there . I'm expecting a landslide of Epic proportions . Let's see what the electorate say .
                                                            this is a useful image that illustrates the growing gap

PP-2014-06-12-polarization-0-01.png

Comment

I'm not sure VP has been the path to success it may have been once upon a time.
                                                              • Biden (2016): didn't get the nomination
                                                              • Cheney (2008): didn't even want the nomination
                                                              • Gore (2000): lost, allegedly
                                                              • Bush Snr (1988): WON
                                                              • Ford (1976, can we count a VP who became Prez midstream?): WON
                                                              • LBJ (1964, same question): WON
                                                              • Nixon (1960): lost, allegedly
                                                              • Truman (1948, same question as LBJ and Ford): WON
                                                              what's more noticeable there is the number of VPs who became Prez midstream
                                                              I'm only catching up on the thread so this might have been stated since, but I'm surprised you had such a big inaccuracy here. in 1976 Ford lost to Carter. Ford being the only president to have never been elected to either president or VP as part of a ticket is a good quiz question.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

I'm only catching up on the thread so this might have been stated since, but I'm surprised you had such a big inaccuracy here. in 1976 Ford lost to Carter. Ford being the only president to have never been elected to either president or VP as part of a ticket is a good quiz question.
                                                                  Good spot. I like to put little errors in amongst my high-quality posting just to keep you on your toes.

Comment

The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile are his?! wow he's some writer. Seems like a decent guy as well.
                                                                    Yeah. I think those two are ones that reinforce the unknown Stephen King stores idea.

Bonus Fact. The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile and share screenplay/director credits. Frank Darabont

Comment

For Hitch..

Comment

Any reason for me not to pick Laya?

Like the video conference thing a lot, but don't know much about them. Are they lacking in any area?
                                                                        The video conference thing is somewhat common, I have it with Irish Life anyhow.
                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Comment

Any reason for me not to pick Laya?

Like the video conference thing a lot, but don't know much about them. Are they lacking in any area?
                                                                            I don't know if there's too much difference between the various vendors tbh. My gf is with Irish Life through work. Most of her policy is the same as mine and the benefits are largely the same too. Laya have been decent to deal with based on my experiences and their technology adoption/integration seems quite good. For instance, a face to face GP or physio appointment is reimbursed in a few days. I upload photos of the receipts to the app and get a bank transfer in less than a week. There's also a wellness or employee assistance program that my company is in through Laya. Covers counselling, finance advice and much more. However I don't think that is available on an individual personal policy. Most company schemes have this bundled from what I understand.

I'm really only with Laya because of my employer. My only reason to switch would be leaving current employment and then having a bad experience or finding a better value option.

Comment

...

Comment

That's a big tool Lazare

Comment

Ugh at everyone cheering on people being able to go to concerts in dystopian metal baby cot-prisons.

That looks like an improvement to the gig going experience, no getting disrupted by the weak bladdered or by the people who came to the gig to catch up with their mates on everything going on in their lives,
                                                                                  I could finally enjoy a Metallica gig with a bottle of red and a nice cheeseboard
                                                                                  Last edited by Guest; 12-08-20, 14:56.

Comment

The Perseids were a big letdown last night, had a pretty clear sky and had maybe 9 in 2 hours, thought it was going to be a fireworks show
                                                                                    Last edited by Guest; 12-08-20, 15:03.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post

I could finally enjoy a Metallica gig with a bottle of red and a nice cheeseboard
                                                                                      IDShot_225x225.jpg

Easi-Singles-Cheese-Slices-.jpg

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Ugh at everyone cheering on people being able to go to concerts in dystopian metal baby cot-prisons.

Gigs for people who don't like gigs and all that

Rush for the jacks at the interval might defeat the purpose!

Anyhu, looks dull as fuck, there would be about 25 people in the sweet spot for the sound, the rest
                                                                                        Last edited by Guest; 12-08-20, 17:06.

Comment

Thanks for the bbq tips friends. I presume I'd be tarred andand feathered if I said a lot of people areare encouraging me to go with gas due to them them being quicker, easier, cleaner?
                                                                                          Bought a gas one myself recently, a webber Q and its great. Heats up in minutes rather than 20/30 minutes waiting for coals, easy to control the temperature and as you said cleaning is easy - have a 22 month old and an 8 day old so the trade off is a no brainer for me.

Wood chips in tin foil if you are concerned about not being able to get flavour into your meat. For fish I prefer not to have it the taste of charcoal as its a delicate flavour.

Comment

If cycling the greenwwy, get shuttle to Achill and Cycle back from there. Its downhill almost all the way that direction
                                                                                            Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                            https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Anyone else's 5 year old daughter spend 25 mins on the jacks and walk out leaving it smelling like an 18 stone bearded man just walked out?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                Anyone else's 5 year old daughter spend 25 mins on the jacks and walk out leaving it smelling like an 18 stone bearded man just walked out?
                                                                                                my lad leaves turds the size of his leg in the jacks. We regularly gather round and draw lots to see who gets to chop it up for easy flush . Guinness book of records just said NO upon enquiry

fos jokes will be ignored

Comment

That's a big tool Lazare
                                                                                                  Be a fair oul lump of a mickey alright.

Comment

Wow, scenes in Lisbon.
                                                                                                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                                                                      If cycling the greenwwy, get shuttle to Achill and Cycle back from there. Its downhill almost all the way that direction
                                                                                                      Managed to banjax the sister-in-laws' bike cycling to Pontoon last night so no more #Raoul's Rothar for me this week. Otherwise was going to greenway to Westport tonight and meet the Mrs for dinner but drove both ways instead.

Westport is very busy, had to try 6 places before getting a table. Lots of Dubs munificently scattering coins to the locals.

Comment

Thanks for the bbq tips friends. I presume I'd be tarred andand feathered if I said a lot of people areare encouraging me to go with gas due to themthem being quicker, easier, cleaner?
                                                                                                        Cooking outside is cooking outside, if its gas or a bale or briquettes as fuel !
                                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Trump is slurring A LOT today. Something is up with him.

Comment

"If you are white, male or even worse middle-class, Sinn Féin doesn’t want you. So much for an ‘Ireland of equals’"

Just when you think you might throw FG a preference next time around Leo goes mini-Trump (again).

Comment

"If you are white, male or even worse middle-class, Sinn Féin doesn’t want you. So much for an ‘Ireland of equals’"
                                                                                                              Sinn Fein doesn’t want white males?
                                                                                                              Did Leo actually say that or is there a word left out? Or are we supposed to just infer what he actually means but won’t say.

Comment

Working?

Comment

kinda
                                                                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

kinda

Comment

testing 123

Comment

Should be back in action now. Site was hacked, which was a right pain in the nuts. Thankfully they seem to have been of the relatively benevolent type.

Comment

Posting is still odd. If you post nothing seems to happen, but if you refresh after you post it seems to post. I'll try and look into it more later.
                                                                                                                          Last edited by 6starpool; 13-08-20, 17:27.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X