This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Ah okay. Yeah it's highly important then as the VP is the nailed on fav for next president after him.
    Whilst the circumstances would be a bit different this time, the sitting VP winning the next election is actually very rare.
    Like could you name the last two to do so?

Comment

My mother's aunt 90 today lives, in oz she reared my mother back in the 50s. She looks fresh!! Obv inherited the gambling addiction from there lol
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.
      Last edited by SatNav; 10-08-20, 22:45.
      Her sky-ness
      © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
        Anyway, this whole discussion is about twenty years behind modern thinking. Prisons don't work in any effective sense, they never have and they never will. This is a good primer on the future and prisons and punishment:]
        Prison isn't effective at all. No punishment has been really.
        But unless there is an effective alternative, abolishing prison won't inprove the situation either.
        I believe we'll have a better option in future. No idea when though.

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

We will always need something akin to a prison. We might change what it looks like and change how we use it, but some people will need to be removed from society for periods of time and that's just a fact. We may use that time to give them rehabilitation and education. Often mental health care is what is needed. We may stop calling them prisons. The Central Mental Hospital's involuntary admittances are "prisoners" by any common definition but we neither treat them as such or label them that way. Some return to society, some don't. But they are treated and helped as best we can manage. That's what prison really is supposed to be about.
        I think that is the best solution on the current horizon, which essentially boils down to being better at incarceration.

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
        In the context of the Kriegal case last year I think I made a post on this very topic. A scandi kid did the same thing at ~11yo and 12 was the age of responsibility so he wasn’t brought before the law. He was never in trouble again in his life, and I offered that as a good outcome vs. being punished for a heinous crime with 20yrs in prison but reoffending afterwards. Opinions were split on it.
        Sample size of 1 though.
        I vaguely remember you mentioning that last year and I have a feeling I offered Jon Venables as a counter example. Child offender, soft rehabilitation in a home for boys, released at 18, multiple re-offenses. Obviously there's a case that detention increased his likelihood to reoffend. But there are many example of violent offenders starting early by hurting animals and escalation. It one of the profiling factors used to profile serial killers.
        In either case, those people make up a tiny percentage of the prison population. Probably best to focus on getting the day to day stuff than the worst of the worst.
        Last edited by Mellor; 11-08-20, 08:43.

Comment

Juice: How Electricity Explains The World

Watched this last night, thought it was excellent.
          Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Thought that was a fairly amazing museum tbh. Did you do a formal or informal houseswap. Like a swap between accaintances or through a website? Guy in work gets a month every summer in a new place by houseswapping through a website, said its amazing.
            It's Mrs Duke's brother's house.

So they get to experience the delights of the big city and we get to enjoy rural living. I am allegedly working while here.

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Whilst the circumstances would be a bit different this time, the sitting VP winning the next election is actually very rare.
              Like could you name the last two to do so?
              I'm not sure VP has been the path to success it may have been once upon a time.
              • Biden (2016): didn't get the nomination
              • Cheney (2008): didn't even want the nomination
              • Gore (2000): lost, allegedly
              • Bush Snr (1988): WON
              • Ford (1976, can we count a VP who became Prez midstream?): WON
              • LBJ (1964, same question): WON
              • Nixon (1960): lost, allegedly
              • Truman (1948, same question as LBJ and Ford): WON
              what's more noticeable there is the number of VPs who became Prez midstream

Comment

Name, without googling, the most recent VP not to serve out his term of office. Bonus points for saying why.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                  How have you chaps gotten on with that back garden pizza oven? I just realised that since I now live in Kerry with a back garden I can get one.

Also, any recommendations for a small barbecue that won't break the bank?
                  My ooni is due end of September, so still waiting for it.

Try and get yourself a small kettle type bbqy, doesn't have to be Weber, but pay the money now and you will have it for years to come.

Hardest thing will be finding one for sale...country is gone mad buying everything up.
                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I'm not sure VP has been the path to success it may have been once upon a time.
                    • Biden (2016): didn't get the nomination
                    • Cheney (2008): didn't even want the nomination
                    • Gore (2000): lost, allegedly
                    • Bush Snr (1988): WON
                    • Ford (1976, can we count a VP who became Prez midstream?): WON
                    • LBJ (1964, same question): WON
                    • Nixon (1960): lost, allegedly
                    • Truman (1948, same question as LBJ and Ford): WON
                    what's more noticeable there is the number of VPs who became Prez midstream
                    If you count it strictly as "VP at the end of the outgoing administration, got the party nomination, won the election" then you can't count Ford, LBJ etc.
                    You'd be reduced to just Bush Snr as the obvious one, and then have to go as far back as Martin Van Buren in the 1830s.
                    So not exactly a path which would indicate Kamela Harris or whoever as a shoe-in for 2024.
                    But a lot of that is obviously related to the way the Americans tend to swap party after a 2 termer, so circumstantially 2024 would be different if Biden just serves one term.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

If you count it strictly as "VP at the end of the outgoing administration, got the party nomination, won the election" then you can't count Ford, LBJ etc.
                      You'd be reduced to just Bush Snr as the obvious one, and then have to go as far back as Martin Van Buren in the 1830s.
                      So not exactly a path which would indicate Kamela Harris or whoever as a shoe-in for 2024.
                      But a lot of that is obviously related to the way the Americans tend to swap party after a 2 termer, so circumstantially 2024 would be different if Biden just serves one term.
                      I agree.

So Kamela should be funking for Joe to get in and die, rather than to serve out two full terms.

Comment

How have you chaps gotten on with that back garden pizza oven? I just realised that since I now live in Kerry with a back garden I can get one.

Also, any recommendations for a small barbecue that won't break the bank?
                        Originally posted by oleras View Post

My ooni is due end of September, so still waiting for it.

Try and get yourself a small kettle type bbq, doesn't have to be Weber, but pay the money now and you will have it for years to come.

Hardest thing will be finding one for sale...country is gone mad buying everything up.
                        Exactly what Oleras said. A small kettle BBQ is ideal. Unless you have plans to do smoking a kettle is best bang for buck. I got a display model weber in Woodies for €60. The lid keeps the temperature high and speeds up cooking. Also keeps some smoke in contact with the food for longer. I think it's a noticeably better taste vs no lid.

Only other thing to add is that I picked up a large pack of lumpwood charcoal (12kg) for €20 in a local Brazilian shop. This is restaurant quality and better value than the small bags you can normally get. Might also be worth a look for picanha and linguica toscana (sausages) if there's a Brazilian shop near you.

Comment

Keane, don't forget to get a chimney starter, makes lighting charcoal a breeze.
                          This too shall pass.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Comment

Liking coillcam's idea of sourcing good quality charcoal. Most supermarket charcoal feels like they've just scraped together the thrash bits and bobs of charcoal. Loads of dust in it too that can't be healthy.
                                  +1 to the lumpwood charcoal and usage of a chimney

the pellets are often coated in something foul too, presumably to make them combust. Stinks.

Comment

Interesting snippet from Bill Gates interview with wired. Trump is an anti-vaccer who wasted the top medical peoples time by forcing them to listen to bullshit: Wasn’t Kennedy Jr. talking about you using vaccines to implant chips into people?

Yeah, you’re right. He, Roger Stone, Laura Ingraham. They do it in this kind of way: “I’ve heard lots of people say X, Y, Z.” That’s kind of Trumpish plausible deniability. Anyway, there was a meeting where Francis Collins, Tony Fauci, and I had to [attend], and they had no data about anything. When we would say, “But wait a minute, that’s not real data,” they’d say, “Look, Trump told you you have to sit and listen, so just shut up and listen anyway.” So it’s a bit ironic that the president is now trying to have some benefit from a vaccine.

https://www.wired.com/story/bill-gat...etely-garbage/

Comment

You really have to make your own charcoal

Comment

Although surely it would be trivial for telecom companies to prevent message spoofing from e.g. the 1000 biggest companies in the country and any others that follow a registration protocol. So texts would then show up in maybe green as 'verified sender'. Start an ad campaign 'only click if it's green'. Job done, the end of smishing. If the text protocol doesn't allow something as simple as verified senders then it should be ditched or fixed.
                                        I know nothing about SMS protocols, and the path from source to phone. But what would stop the spoofers embedding the same verified code in their messages sent from their dodgy overseas source.

It's probably possible to national providers to screen all SMS traffic for copycat code, but they are taking on the liability for turning SMS into secure communication. It's probably better all to not use SMS for this stuff and encourage better habits generally. A text message from the bank asking for a PIN or other personal info should be a huge flag.
                                        Last edited by Mellor; 11-08-20, 13:32.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                            I find him unbearable and reckon he's probably more than a bit of a prick, you can say what you like about him but he's easily the most powerful man in Ireland.
                                            Joe Duffy gets BoI to take responsibility for smishing fraud
                                            https://www.rte.ie/news/business/202...land-smishing/
                                            Have dealt with him a few times in work, he is a gentleman.

Name, without googling, the most recent VP not to serve out his term of office. Bonus points for saying why.
                                            Spiro Agnew, the man who would have been president. And for the bonus points, eh corruption is all I got.

Comment

Originally posted by mcnugget View Post
                                              Spiro Agnew, the man who would have been president. And for the bonus points, eh corruption is all I got.
                                              correct on both counts

Comment

Regarding the earlier retirement thing from Hitch/Denny. Came across this randomly and this is a guy that should be retired at ~35 and he isn't even making big money for the bay area, started off quite low outside it. https://old.reddit.com/r/financialin...child_3_years/
                                                Currently pays 12k per month for housing and + childcare haha.

Comment

Comment

Has anyone read Stephen King's The Stand and would you say it is horror? I have googled the question and not really getting a straight answer without delving into spoilers. By horror I mean demonic possession type stuff. I don't give a fuck that a virus wipes out 99% of the world's population.
                                                    I have read it a few times, it is my favourite Stephen king book. I wouldn't really call it a horror to be fair.
                                                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                      Regarding the earlier retirement thing from Hitch/Denny. Came across this randomly and this is a guy that should be retired at ~35 and he isn't even making big money for the bay area, started off quite low outside it. https://old.reddit.com/r/financialin...child_3_years/
                                                      Currently pays 12k per month for housing and + childcare haha.
                                                      I find it most impressive that people can increase their salary so significantly and not increase their spending accordingly. I used to do a 50:50 approach that I’d save half of any salary increase, but with a mortgage now it’s all changed. Im always trying to overpay the mortgage but it feels less successful than saving.

Comment

I similarly know nothing about SMS protocol. But verified users is quite simple on Internet protocol - hence the search bar lighting up green when you are about to make your payment in a secured safe environment - so text messaging is maybe too old a tech that should be replaced if it can't do the same thing. It's largely only companies that use text messages anymore anyway, so it makes it extra harmful.
                                                        I think the fundamental difference is that internet protocol is a connection, and that connection can be to a certain degree secure.
                                                        SMS uses cellular data. Afaik basically radiowaves. Obviously one level is preventing messages over the legitimate network. Which is in the providers control. But the network isn’t secure*. So it seems like a bad idea trying to improve confidence in the improper system.

*That’s why the cops can pull up and intercept phone calls by forcing them to connect to mobile hardware.

Comment

Comment

I find it most impressive that people can increase their salary so significantly and not increase their spending accordingly. I used to do a 50:50 approach that I’d save half of any salary increase, but with a mortgage now it’s all changed. Im always trying to overpay the mortgage but it feels less successful than saving.
                                                            your man must be a most extreme outlier:

earned 1.875m pre-tax cumulatively and has an investment fund of 1.75m

Comment

Definitely a trap that most fall into, or it can be fine depending on their goals. No need to overly scrounge and live poorly to maximise things and at the same time no need to go over the top spending. I guess calculating how much money you are actually saving by not having to pay the added interest would make you feel a lot better about it. Same as when you put money in a pension and you realise you may be getting less net but you are getting so much benefit from tax deferral and are saving a lot more than taking the money and saving it or even investing it yourself.
                                                              Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 11-08-20, 14:26.

Comment

your man must be a most extreme outlier:

earned 1.875m pre-tax cumulatively and has an investment fund of 1.75m

A few things there, he has only posted his income (without RSU's, 300k equity is above that) but his wife is on a similar salary and assuredly is part of said fund (which is 2.3 million now).

Comment

Spiro Agnew, resigned for general hookery and crookery whole in with Nixon. If I'n not mistaken he was never convicted of anything.
                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Although surely it would be trivial for telecom companies to prevent message spoofing from e.g. the 1000 biggest companies in the country and any others that follow a registration protocol. So texts would then show up in maybe green as 'verified sender'. Start an ad campaign 'only click if it's green'. Job done, the end of smishing. If the text protocol doesn't allow something as simple as verified senders then it should be ditched or fixed.
                                                                    This, I'm not too au fait with the technical details but it sounded to me that BoI had little responsibility except in their poor communications. There was nothing breached that is in the power of the bank to secure it was an attack on the SMS system where the failure is either through the teleco or the phone's OS.

It seems though that all the banks were aware of the weakness and other banks communicated via their SMS channel that there was potential fraud if clicking links in any SMS and BoI didn't which probably left them exposed and maybe then it was cheaper to look like heros paying the victims back rather than spending more defending it.

Comment

A few things there, he has only posted his income (without RSU's, 300k equity is above that) but his wife is on a similar salary and assuredly is part of said fund (which is 2.3 million now).
                                                                      right, that makes more sense...pretty misleading OP by him so

Comment

Returned to work today and ended up with head cold or what can also be considered covid symptoms overnight. At 8.30am I scheduled a GP video consultation for 12:15pm through my laya plan. The doctor was a few mins late but explained plainly that everyone with cold/flu symptoms needs to present for testing. A few mins later the call was finished and my details passed on to testing team. At 2pm I got a text, followed by a call to confirm my appointment at 2.45pm. The appointment took all of 5 minutes, most of which was verifying my identity several times. The test was super quick and only minor discomfort. Should have results in about 3 days.

My health insurance plan has free video consultations at the moment and it really is a game changer. I've used it several times for same day appointments and only once have had to schedule for the next day. Trying to see my regular GP is a disaster. When my gf moved here initially, she tried at least 6 or 7 different surgeries before they would take her on as a patient.

If you can afford health insurance and don't have it, absolutely get on that train asap.

Comment

Definitely a trap that most fall into, or it can be fine depending on their goals. No need to overly scrounge and live poorly to maximise things and at the same time no need to go over the top spending. I guess calculating how much money you are actually saving by not having to pay the added interest would make you feel a lot better about it. Same as when you put money in a pension and you realise you may be getting less net but you are getting so much benefit from tax deferral and are saving a lot more than taking the money and saving it or even investing it yourself.
                                                                          Yes, agreed it’s why I prioritize the mortgage. I built a simple mortgage spreadsheet that shows me how much cumulative interest each repayment earns me and it’s remarkable. I have a 30yr mortgage and there’s nothing thatll beat 3% compounded after tax risk free as an investment. I think I’m the kind of person who likes to live month to month though Incase I get ahead of myself and spend big. So I clear my current account every month and start from zero. Gives a good sense as to whether you’re living within your means or not.

Yeah the investment returns could hardly have been better tbf, all those FAANG names have skyrocketed.

Comment

Has anyone read Stephen King's The Stand and would you say it is horror? I have googled the question and not really getting a straight answer without delving into spoilers. By horror I mean demonic possession type stuff. I don't give a fuck that a virus wipes out 99% of the world's population.
                                                                            Demonic possession...

God, Trump, and the 2020 Election by Stephen Strang
                                                                            €17.63

The Stand..
                                                                            Thoroughly enjoyed it, post apocalyptic landscape, interesting cast of characters it rarely flaggs (sic). Its a long read.
                                                                            The uncut version is 300 pages longer than the original by the way!

Great storyteller in fairness. He absolutely nails the feel of a place, a time period or a situation and gradually builds the suspense.

He has a time travel one relating to the JFK assassination.
                                                                            Think it's just called 1963 -would recommend , you can almost taste the 60's.

Dark tower series -(fantasy)- excellent. Was disappointed with the film but there are about 6/7 books in the series so wasnt expecting much from a 1 1/2 hour film.

PS
                                                                            To actually answer your Q, it's not horror as you describe.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Harris gets the VP nod
                                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Although it has horror elements, it's not necessarily a horror story. Flagg, who is a fucking awesome character is pretty much mick Jagger in sympathy for the devil.

For poor horror., pet cemetery or IT are the daddys.
                                                                                      Dr. Sleep is a cool unexpected sequel to the shining

​​
                                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Although it has horror elements, it's not necessarily a horror story. Flagg, who is a fucking awesome character is pretty much mick Jagger in sympathy for the devil.

For poor horror., pet cemetery or IT are the daddys.
                                                                                        Dr. Sleep is a cool unexpected sequel to the shining

​​
                                                                                        Aren't all King's writings in their essence about demonic possession?

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                          Harris gets the VP nod
                                                                                          The right choice imo

Comment

After all of the talk of defunding the police, kamala is the pick? lulz

Comment

Cheers. Yeah the JFK one is probably one of the best novels I've read tbh.
                                                                                              Started a reread of it there today (11.22.63). It will now be read in tandem with Peter Hamiltons Judas Unchained which I was 500 pages into.
                                                                                              Also have my eye on The Gunslinger which was standing next to it on the shelf.
                                                                                              Come to think of it have a tonne of books that could do with a reread. Happy Days!!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                After all of the talk of defunding the police, kamala is the pick? lulz
                                                                                                Biden is completely against that though. Biden/Harris is in the centre to actually win, they won't be going after the Bernie supporters but will get a large chunk of them because they're not Trump. Go after where most people are and that's in the centre with either a slight left lean or a right lean.

Defund the Police will always be a terrible slogan, I doubt any of the centrist democrats ever came close to saying they'd put their name behind the slogan. If you need to spend time explaining it, it's useless.
                                                                                                Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 11-08-20, 22:30.

Comment

There's a case to be made a fair bit of his writing was influenced by his own battles with addiction if you want to make that analogy but no.
                                                                                                  I think its a reach to put that them in all his work.

Comment

Trumpsters on here must be searching the corners of their minds for reasons WHY . He is like an accident black spot that is ignored until the carnage has reached record breaking numbers .

Comment

Evil, brainwashed or stupid. I don't see any other reason anyone could still support Trump at this stage. Even a lot of Republicans are distancing themselves now. It's interesting to think about what will happen when it's all over. I don't think he will have too many friends willing to help him avoid prison.

Comment

Time to get rid of it so.
                                                                                                        Meh, I don't see why. It serves a purpose for casual communication.
                                                                                                        Banks and others just need to encourage better habits and people in general need to be smarter around passwords and PINs. Especially in regards to unsolicited communication.
                                                                                                        A random text message is no more verified than a random email. The solution isn't to ditch email too, it's to get people to be suspect of a random email from your bank asking for your details. Because these kind of scams aren't going away.

I think the ones that are famously King stories, very often feature a demonic or at least malevolent entity. The Shining, IT, etc
                                                                                                        But some of his best works have no demon/horror element and thus people often don't realise they are Stephen King stories.

Stand By Me, The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Misery
                                                                                                        Last edited by Mellor; 12-08-20, 11:25.

Comment

...

Comment

Thanks for the bbq tips friends. I presume I'd be tarred andand feathered if I said a lot of people areare encouraging me to go with gas due to themthem being quicker, easier, cleaner?

Comment

I see Mellor mentioned Misery, I was just going to post about it. Tis a great little read and also another oscar winning movie. More creepy and tension-filled than pure horror. The unique way its written just gives me chills thinking back now - A lot of jibberish that doesn't make sense immediately but you'll quickly pick up what it's about. One of the few situations I had the fortune of reading the book before the movie/tv show. There are a number of stories where characters re-appear or overlap in a shared universe.

@Hitch, he's incredibly prolific in terms of output. The exact opposite of George RR Martin.

Comment

Yes, agreed it’s why I prioritize the mortgage. I built a simple mortgage spreadsheet that shows me how much cumulative interest each repayment earns me and it’s remarkable. I have a 30yr mortgage and there’s nothing thatll beat 3% compounded after tax risk free as an investment. I think I’m the kind of person who likes to live month to month though Incase I get ahead of myself and spend big. So I clear my current account every month and start from zero. Gives a good sense as to whether you’re living within your means or not.

Yeah the investment returns could hardly have been better tbf, all those FAANG names have skyrocketed.
                                                                                                                Would you mindmind sharing a template of that spreadsheet? It's something I always mean to do butbut never get aroundaround to

Comment

Comment

Thanks for the bbq tips friends. I presume I'd be tarred andand feathered if I said a lot of people areare encouraging me to go with gas due to themthem being quicker, easier, cleaner?
                                                                                                                    you should get some new friends and never speak to those people again

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                                      Evil, brainwashed or stupid. I don't see any other reason anyone could still support Trump at this stage. Even a lot of Republicans are distancing themselves now. It's interesting to think about what will happen when it's all over. I don't think he will have too many friends willing to help him avoid prison.
                                                                                                                      The genius of Trump is his ability to polarise.

Once you have successfully demonised your opponent in the eyes of your supporters (mainly through fear), they will stick with you forever. Especially in a contest with only two players!

Comment

Jesus, I see why people complain about rural bogband.

Comment

Ironically, HJ, I think you are exhibiting signs of the same polarisation.

Characterising supporters of the other side as 'evil, brainwashed or stupid' doesn't exactly scream levelheaded analysis.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X