This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

Spending 4 days down that way next week, in Valentia where the old fella is from, family goes down most years. Will be driving past around lunchtime so just might drop in, thanks for the recommendation! Also have meal booked in O'Neills at Renard Point outside Cahersiveen on one night, will be nice I'm sure.

Hope the Dublin registration doesn't get us too many funny looks! At least we're not driving a Kildare car I suppose
    O Neills a lovely spot. Get the crab claws and thank me later. While you're near it, try and pop into The Moorings in Portmagee if you haven't before. Fresh chowder like you wouldnt believe and a nice pint of porter

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

Hectorjelly deals with it pretty well but let me just head you off at the pass here and tell you: You are wrong.

Three strikes does not work. It leads to absurdities beyond description and attributing a drop in violent crime to it is a classic correlation/causation error.
      Curious to hear more, would’ve thought it was only minor crimes that occurs.

Why wouldn’t you support a three strikes rules for robbery or even burglaries? Say 5 extra years for a third offence?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Well, let's at least accept that (yes, like Trump) it is democratically mandated by the electorate?
        I never suggested otherwise.
        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

I never suggested otherwise.
          Passed by a huge majority too. 72% of the votes. In the deepest deep blue state.

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
            Why wouldn’t you support a three strikes rules for robbery or even burglaries? Say 5 extra years for a third offence?
            It doesn't work. It's never worked. Harsher punishments don't deter crime, they increase the incentive to do whatever it takes to avoid being caught. Hence the increased cop killings in California.

California are moving away from their 3-strikes rule in piecemeal fashion precisely because it doesn't work. Take this example of the first man in California prosecuted under the three-strikes rule:

Originally posted by Rolling Stone Magazine
            Once California’s Three Strikes law went into effect at midnight on March 8th, 1994, it would take just nine hours for it to claim its first hapless victim, a homeless schizophrenic named Lester Wallace with two nonviolent burglaries on his sheet, who attempted to steal a car radio near the University of Southern California campus.

Wallace was such an incompetent thief that he was still sitting in the passenger seat of the car by the time police arrived. He went to court and got 25 years to life.
            Wallace is still in prison.

Link here: https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...es-laws-92042/

Comment

Passed by a huge majority too. 72% of the votes. In the deepest deep blue state.
              So what? Are you making a point or would you like to trade random facts from early 90's California?

Here's one. The law was passed 2 years after the the Rodney King riots.

It was passed 5 months after OJ Simpson killed Nicole Brown.

It was passed 5 months after Ray Houghton scored against Italy in Giants' Stadium.

Comment

I'd love to know more about how the length of a sentence is decided upon, both here and in the USA which seems to be the main topic at the minute.

From my very limited knowledge (which may be completely wrong) is that here in Ireland, there is a time span of sentence given for most offences, say for example, robbery is 1-5 years but it is only a guideline for judges and that ultimately, they take lot of factors into consideration - Is that right?

If it is, fair enough, but I think lay people often get confused then how somebody who is a serial offender or commits a fairly heinous crime can get a relatively light sentence. Obviously, the lay person doesn't have all the mitigating facts but it can come across as overly lenient and I think that can help lead the charge of "lock 'em up for good if they do anything bad more than twice" brigade.

In the case quoted by HJ, the person was on his 4th strike but the 4th strike was a very minor offence (as were two of the other four) and he surely doesn't deserve to spend 20+ years in prison with the prospect of another 20 years to come for such a minor offence, regardless of whether's it his 4th conviction or not.

I also think that there needs to be more done with serial offenders and why they do so. If being sent to prison several times, isn't a deterrent, than what will work? Again, from my limited knowledge on it, prison doesn't really work. There has to be rehabilitation and a deeper look into how we deal with people convicted of a crime - pre, during and post sentence.

Also, a massive LOL to anybody who thinks that black people in America aren't full on profiled, targeted and treated very differently in pretty much every respect of the law and sentencing compared to white people.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

So what? Are you making a point or would you like to trade random facts from early 90's California?

Here's one. The law was passed 2 years after the the Rodney King riots.

It was passed 5 months after OJ Simpson killed Nicole Brown.

It was passed 5 months after Ray Houghton scored against Italy in Giants' Stadium.
                    The point is that it is a very popular piece of legislation that got massive bipartisan support.

Comment

Comment

In some counties in the US . RACISM is the 1st letter of the law . If that repeat offender was white he'd be out 20 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

So your solution to persistent evidence that a criminal system is a shit way of dealing with social, mental, and addiction issues, is to make things even more criminal. Move over Baldrick, there's a new boss in town.
                          Protecting law-abiding citizens from recidivist criminals is hardly a contentious notion.

Or if it is, we have really jumped into la-la land.

Comment

Comment

Comment

The point is that it is a very popular piece of legislation that got massive bipartisan support.
                                So? That doesn't mean it isn't a bad idea.

Comment

So? That doesn't mean it isn't a bad idea.
                                  72% of voters disagree. You're whistling in the wind here.

Comment

Protecting law-abiding citizens from recidivist criminals is hardly a contentious notion.

Or if it is, we have really jumped into la-la land.
                                    The answer isn't to lock them up for longer, it's to reduce recidivism rates. Irish prisons (some of which are Dickensian hellscapes) don't achieve this.

Basically, making sentences longer is like wondering why drilling a hole in your head doesn't cure a headache and arriving at the conclusion that you didn't drill deep enough.

Comment

72% of voters disagree. You're whistling in the wind here.
                                      So what if 72% of people in 1994 thought this was a good idea. The popularity of an idea doesn't determine its merit. Ideas like this can be objectively assessed on their own.

Comment

So what if 72% of people in 1994 thought this was a good idea. The popularity of an idea doesn't determine its merit. Ideas like this can be objectively assessed on their own.
                                        Well another truism in politics is that 'you can never be too tough on crime' (and the obverse being you really don't want to be labelled as 'soft on crime').

So these laws are never coming off the books. That's the reality.

Comment

Comment

That's an American truism not a European truism I'd imagine. Except for renowned shitehole engerland
                                            I'd say if I set up the RaoulRulez Party and one of my main policy planks was 'Three fouls and you get a minimum five years in the clink' here, that would get me a big chunk of votes.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Well you've already won sickpuppies vote, so that's the reasonable middle ground already tied up! Could maybe push the idea that it's actually blacks who are the real racists to corner a special part of the voting market.
                                                  Raoul Rule #1: don't give a fuck what colour you are, if you repeat the crime, you do serious time.
                                                  Raoul Rule #2: Moral oneupmanship becomes a crime punishable by a kick in the hole (from Conor McGregor)

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

That's pretty awful analysis, although I remember you made a similar case before. When crime drops you can't just attribute a single reason to it.

The Effect of Three-Strikes Legislation on Serious Crime in California study analyzed the effect of the Three-Strikes legislation as a means of deterrence and incapacitation. The study found that the Three-Strikes Law did not have a very significant effect on deterrence of crime, but also that this[38] ineffectiveness may be due to the diminishing marginal returns associated with having pre-existing repeat offender laws in place.[39]

A 2015 study found that three-strikes laws were associated with a 33% increase in the risk of fatal assaults on law enforcement officers.[44]

Anyway, this whole discussion is about twenty years behind modern thinking. Prisons don't work in any effective sense, they never have and they never will. This is a good primer on the future and prisons and punishment:
                                                    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/17/m...n-gilmore.html
                                                    Thanks for that, I had a read of the NYT article, it failed to give any alternative to the current system only that it wanted to defund and remove prisons.

Ofer even seemed to quote Gilmore’s mantra that “prisons are catchall solutions to social problems.” When I asked him, Ofer said, “There’s no question. She’s made tremendous contributions, even just in helping to bring about a conversation on what this work really is, and the constant struggle not to replace one oppressive system with another.”
                                                    I couldn’t see a convincing argument for getting rid of them from that article specifically, but there will always be a need for some way of separating people who don’t want to live in a civilized way. We haven’t found a way to reduce or eliminate recidivism, but I wonder even if we did would there not be some element of punishment also?

In the context of the Kriegal case last year I think I made a post on this very topic. A scandi kid did the same thing at ~11yo and 12 was the age of responsibility so he wasn’t brought before the law. He was never in trouble again in his life, and I offered that as a good outcome vs. being punished for a heinous crime with 20yrs in prison but reoffending afterwards. Opinions were split on it.
                                                    Last edited by Goodluck2me; 10-08-20, 15:10.

Comment

Anyway, seeing as prisons will be around forever (sorry lads), here's something more interesting; Slate have put together the entire timeline of the Trump covid response.

It's actually worse than I remember.

Comment

Well another truism in politics is that 'you can never be too tough on crime' (and the obverse being you really don't want to be labelled as 'soft on crime').

So these laws are never coming off the books. That's the reality.
                                                        Changing approach now? Ok.

I can demonstrate, absolutely, that tough sentencing laws have "come off the books" plenty of times. So your point has absolutely no merit whatsoever. If you're even making a point. Is this another one of those times where you just post something that seems like you're making a profound point but actually you're just saying a fact and hoping people take it up as profound. You don't actually nail your colours to a position so that way you can't be properly challenged on it, is that it?

Comment

Thanks for that, I had a read of the NYT article, it failed to give any alternative to the current system only that it wanted to defund and remove prisons.

I couldn’t see a convincing argument for getting rid of them.
                                                          We will always need something akin to a prison. We might change what it looks like and change how we use it, but some people will need to be removed from society for periods of time and that's just a fact. We may use that time to give them rehabilitation and education. Often mental health care is what is needed. We may stop calling them prisons. The Central Mental Hospital's involuntary admittances are "prisoners" by any common definition but we neither treat them as such or label them that way. Some return to society, some don't. But they are treated and helped as best we can manage. That's what prison really is supposed to be about.

For non-violent offences there is surely a better way to punish and rehabilitate than through incarceration. I think that's the central point.

Comment

It doesn't work. It's never worked. Harsher punishments don't deter crime, they increase the incentive to do whatever it takes to avoid being caught. Hence the increased cop killings in California.

California are moving away from their 3-strikes rule in piecemeal fashion precisely because it doesn't work. Take this example of the first man in California prosecuted under the three-strikes rule:

Wallace is still in prison.

Link here: https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...es-laws-92042/
                                                            Thanks. I wonder does it reduce crime, (taking the question of fairness away for now) or can it be known. The simple idea is if tiny lock people up longer they can’t offend in prison. It’s always galling when you see “a man committed XYZ crime whilst out on bail for ABC offense etc.”

Comment

We will always need something akin to a prison. We might change what it looks like and change how we use it, but some people will need to be removed from society for periods of time and that's just a fact. We may use that time to give them rehabilitation and education. Often mental health care is what is needed. We may stop calling them prisons. The Central Mental Hospital's involuntary admittances are "prisoners" by any common definition but we neither treat them as such or label them that way. Some return to society, some don't. But they are treated and helped as best we can manage. That's what prison really is supposed to be about.

For non-violent offences there is surely a better way to punish and rehabilitate than through incarceration. I think that's the central point.
                                                              I wouldn’t disagree at all on this, like wouldn't we all be better off with people doing community service (cleaning parks and beaches, removing graffiti) rather than doing a week in jail for non-payment of a TV licence etc.

Comment

Bit of a classic RD3 exaggeration of California's blueness at the time.
                                                                Clinton had won it 1992, after it being a red state for 6 successive presidential elections and 9 of the previous 10. Fuckers didn't even back JFK. It's not exactly Hawaii.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United..._in_California

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Bit of a classic RD3 exaggeration of California's blueness at the time.
                                                                  Clinton had won it 1992, after it being a red state for 6 successive presidential elections and 9 of the previous 10. Fuckers didn't even back JFK. It's not exactly Hawaii.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United..._in_California
                                                                  well, they were hardly not going to vote for Californians 4 times (Nixon\Nixon\Reagan\Reagan)....

Might be another one on the ballot this time too, Kamala Harris.

Comment

I wouldn’t disagree at all on this, like wouldn't we all be better off with people doing community service (cleaning parks and beaches, removing graffiti) rather than doing a week in jail for non-payment of a TV licence etc.
                                                                    oh yeah, it should be for proper crimes that have real victims. Funny how no-one ever mentions victims in these debates...

Comment

Thanks. I wonder does it reduce crime, (taking the question of fairness away for now) or can it be known. The simple idea is if tiny lock people up longer they can’t offend in prison. It’s always galling when you see “a man committed XYZ crime whilst out on bail for ABC offense etc.”
                                                                      Here's the statistics for California.

Fairly dramatic decrease in property crimes post-1992 and a far less substantial one in violent crime.

6a00d83455b3db69e2019b0216c800970d-800wi.jpg

Comment

Here's the statistics for California.

Fairly dramatic decrease in property crimes post-1992 and a far less substantial one in violent crime.

6a00d83455b3db69e2019b0216c800970d-800wi.jpg
                                                                        Are you trolling?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Are you trolling?
                                                                          are you?

Comment

are you?

Comment

There was a better video posted (I think on here before) but I can't find it but the below, compares US v's the country we all know as having some of the best policies going, Sweden

Surely, the Swedish model is much better?

The United States is responsible for a quarter of all the prisoners in the world. How different are prisons in other countries? In today's video we look at t...

Comment

...

Comment

Taking advantage of our week's house swap to explore Mayo on two wheels a bit. Just cycled to Foxford: town is a bit of a dump but the riverside is lovely. Apparently teeming with salnon this year. Also the birthplace of Admiral Brown I see, whose statue I say hello to every day in Dublin.

Will try out the greenway tomorrow for a spin.

#Raoul's rothar

Comment

Anyway, seeing as prisons will be around forever (sorry lads), here's something more interesting; Slate have put together the entire timeline of the Trump covid response.

It's actually worse than I remember.
                                                                                    the series of books detailing the almost daily gaffes and acts of heinous villainy from this presidency will be huge.
                                                                                    the inauguration crowd
                                                                                    The muslim ban
                                                                                    killing Obamacare
                                                                                    spicer
                                                                                    Papadopoulos
                                                                                    withdrawing from TPP
                                                                                    Sally Yates
                                                                                    That's the first week or so....
                                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                                                      You should watch 13th on Netflix if you haven’t already

] it is titled after the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, adopted in 1865, which abolished slavery throughout the United States and ended involuntary servitude except as a punishment for conviction of a crime.
                                                                                      My old economics lecturer used to say US slavery was abolished because bosses were beginning to realize slavery was a crap labour model. You first had the capital outlay of buying the slave. Then you had to clothe, feed and house the slave and tend to them when they were sick or injured. If the slave died out in the field you lost your capital.

Why not just pay a subsistence wage and let the worker pay for their own shit. No outlay, no loss and no need to pay if sick.

Of course he was talking through his hoop because US slavery emerged because of the labor shortages brought on by the cotton boom. Probably could have attracted workers over with tales of a better life without the brutality. Who knows?
                                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

well, they were hardly not going to vote for Californians 4 times (Nixon\Nixon\Reagan\Reagan)....

Might be another one on the ballot this time too, Kamala Harris.
                                                                                        I don't think Harris is the right pick
                                                                                        Beto got a bit of a raw deal being ruled out on gender.
                                                                                        Tammy Duckworth would be my VP pick but given Biden's age, they need someone who could slide behind the desk.
                                                                                        She's a little lacking in big game experience.
                                                                                        Warren might be the best of the bunch but sadly won't get the nod. I'd nearly bet money Trump wouldn't be able to help himself calling her a Joe's squaw or something if she was on the ticket
                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

the series of books detailing the almost daily gaffes and acts of heinous villainy from this presidency will be huge.
                                                                                          the inauguration crowd
                                                                                          The muslim ban
                                                                                          killing Obamacare
                                                                                          spicer
                                                                                          Papadopoulos
                                                                                          withdrawing from TPP
                                                                                          Sally Yates
                                                                                          That's the first week or so....
                                                                                          Shameful overlooking of the Mooch

Comment

How have you chaps gotten on with that back garden pizza oven? I just realised that since I now live in Kerry with a back garden I can get one.

Also, any recommendations for a small barbecue that won't break the bank?

Comment

Shameful overlooking of the Mooch
                                                                                              we are still in January 2017, 6 months till Mooch Time

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

we are still in January 2017, 6 months till Mooch Time
                                                                                                That's 16.6 Mooches away

Comment

...

Comment

Think everyone has decided it's Harris or Susan Rice, no? Or has there been some movement in that. Best not to overthink these things, president don't die. Or at least the very strong odds are that Biden will fly through his eight years, or four years if he decides he has done enough and feels things fading. Reagan did his second term with full-on dementia.

Presidents do die. Kennedy, Roosevelt in living memory.

Comment

I'd say if I set up the RaoulRulez Party and one of my main policy planks was 'Three fouls and you get a minimum five years in the clink' here, that would get me a big chunk of votes.
                                                                                                      Renua were tough on crime.

You could fit all their voters in a squad car.
                                                                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

This is like reading an article from a decade ago. Thought the USA would be streets ahead

Aldi is best known for offering a ridiculously low prices on groceries. There are things you shouldn't do when you're shopping.
                                                                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

How have you chaps gotten on with that back garden pizza oven? I just realised that since I now live in Kerry with a back garden I can get one.

Also, any recommendations for a small barbecue that won't break the bank?
                                                                                                          This reminded me to check up on an Ooni I ordered months ago, its due to be delivered in a few weeks I'll get back to you next month to let you know.
                                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Renua were tough on crime.

You could fit all their voters in a squad car.
                                                                                                            Ah yeah, but they managed to pitch their policies in such a way as to alienate everyone.

The RaoulRulez party will be the voice of the oppressed (middle class voter).
                                                                                                            The sword of justice. (as in lock up crookz)
                                                                                                            The hammer of inequality (as in we will endeavour to increase it).

etc

Comment

I find him unbearable and reckon he's probably more than a bit of a prick, you can say what you like about him but he's easily the most powerful man in Ireland.
                                                                                                              Joe Duffy gets BoI to take responsibility for smishing fraud
                                                                                                              https://www.rte.ie/news/business/202...land-smishing/
                                                                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Back to work Monday after 5 months off. Bit like maternity leave however going back I will look like I'm. About to go on maternity leave
                                                                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Taking advantage of our week's house swap to explore Mayo on two wheels a bit. Just cycled to Foxford: town is a bit of a dump but the riverside is lovely. Apparently teeming with salnon this year. Also the birthplace of Admiral Brown I see, whose statue I say hello to every day in Dublin.

Will try out the greenway tomorrow for a spin.

#Raoul's rothar
                                                                                                                  There is a very old round tower in Turlough village my great grand parents grand parents aunt and uncles there say an auld prayer. Lovely part of the world used love going down for holidays went for pints with my uncle when was 17 to Ballyvary had 8 pints of Guinness each he was utterly disgusted when i had a ninth and didn’t get him one he was driving

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post

There is a very old round tower in Turlough village my great grand parents grand parents aunt and uncles there say an auld prayer. Lovely part of the world used love going down for holidays went for pints with my uncle when was 17 to Ballyvary had 8 pints of Guinness each he was utterly disgusted when i had a ninth and didn’t get him one he was driving
                                                                                                                    We're staying in Ballyvary and saw that very tower on Saturday while getting ice creams in Turlough.

Then we rolled down the grass banks at the Museum of Country Life. Beat actually going into it.

Comment

Think everyone has decided it's Harris or Susan Rice, no? Or has there been some movement in that. Best not to overthink these things, president don't die. Or at least the very strong odds are that Biden will fly through his eight years, or four years if he decides he has done enough and feels things fading. Reagan did his second term with full-on dementia.
                                                                                                                      My understanding is Joe has said he's only doing a single term.
                                                                                                                      The guy is already older than dirt. That's why I think this VP pick is the most important in decades.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X