This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
    This staycation biz might be better for the environment but on balance I’d prefer a return to the practice where the scum of this country (middle and upper middle class scum very much included) fuck off abroad for summer and stop ruining otherwise nice west coast destinations
    Board failte have an evil sister . Bordfuckoff.

Comment

HH and RD3 debating reminds me of these two .

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 08-08-20, 09:42.
        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
          And excluding Canada is LOL. Canada certainly isn’t the US, but it was established with the same flavour of Genocide.
          That was my point. Canada is an exception because its now a place where a reasonable human might want to live and raise a family the US and Australia are not.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

At any one time in life I'm keeping up a large number of both sensible and bullshit arguments. The problem is I don't really know which is which until later in the debate. So I need to commit to all of them in the interest of good practice.

Yesterday myself and a well-known bullshitter trinner prof were screaming at each other on whatsapp where he claimed that tourists were being 'prioritised' over staff in that tourists were allowed to wander around the campus of trinity from next week, when staff weren't allowed on campus until the week after (its a popular tweet from yesterday). I said tourists weren't being prioritised - that he as a staff member was allowed to do the exact same thing as the tourist - to wander around campus. He just couldn't go to his office, which tourists couldn't either. So it wasn't 'prioritisation', whatever it actually was.

Where it got weird is that he then blindly sweared that: no, he wasn't even allowed in the gates of trinity. He repeatedly swore this was the case. That he wasn't allowed in the gates. I said thats clearly ridiculous, theres no way they can ban you from walking in the gate like a tourist, they're just stopping you from going to your office. He said 'I work there, maybe I know the rules of where I work'. I said they need to stop hiring idiots in that case.
            It's a fairly common rule that if you work in a bar you are then not allowed drink in that bar.

Comment

Micheal Martin and more so Stephen Donnelly just don't have the credibility or air of competence that Leo and Simon carried.

Donnelly being taken apart and unable to answer wholly predictable questions with any confidence by light weight 'journalist' Damien O'Reilly on RTE .
              Not good

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                  Also scary is it took the orange buffoon to make me realise I had been saying Thailand wrong all my life.
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                    Can you still buy a 3 pay as you go sim, do the €20 top up and put it into a router?
                    Afaik you still can. They'll still have it in their t&cs that it's not allowed, though I've never heard of them doing anything about it. Only change (years ago) was them making a month 28 days, so you can't just top up once a month. I'm more annoyed that we still use such a backward calendar, than I am with them squeezing out a few yoyo's though.
                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Each day in the Republican Calendar was divided into ten hours, each hour into 100 decimal minutes, and each decimal minute into 100 decimal seconds. Thus an hour was 144 conventional minutes (more than twice as long as a conventional hour), a minute was 86.4 conventional seconds (44% longer than a conventional minute), and a second was 0.864 conventional seconds (13.6% shorter than a conventional second).

Clocks were manufactured to display this decimal time, but it did not catch on. Mandatory use of decimal time was officially suspended 7 April 1795, although some cities continued to use decimal time as late as 1801.[9]

Comment

This staycation biz might be better for the environment but on balance I’d prefer a return to the practice where the scum of this country (middle and upper middle class scum very much included) fuck off abroad for summer and stop ruining otherwise nice west coast destinations
                        Can you imagine what its like in Engerrland with all the boozed up abroad types descending on the already overcrowded seaside towns, ugh!

Comment

Surely even in Ireland there is no phone subscription service remaining where text messages are not all-inclusive.
                          That's true of the monthly packages but if you're on a "Pay As You Go" arrangement you can elect for any combination of calls, texts & data with each portion costing €10.

fwiw unlimited calls within Europe and 80GB of data for 4 weeks costs €20 a month on Eir which seems like great value to me. If I ever send an SMS it goes through their app which gives customers 200 free texts a month.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Can you imagine what its like in Engerrland with all the boozed up abroad types descending on the already overcrowded seaside towns, ugh!
                            Control c job
                            Police reinforcements were called out to Malaga Airport last night to control a group of Essex ‘yobs’ who had refused to wear their masks on a flight from the UK.

The Spanish police didn’t waste any time and dashed straight to the arrivals hall where a large group of youths were already ‘mouthing off’ at officials who were demanding they put on their masks.

One of the youths could be heard stupidly trying to talk Spanish to the officer, : “Me no have mask mate, me English, tourist- we all bring mucho dosho toSpain- where is nearest bar-o?”

Cabin crew from the flight the yobs had landed on were seen giving statements to the police. “It is a very serious offence and heavy fines or even prison could be handed out” said the girl, who did not wish to be named for fear of reprisals.”We all knew they would be trouble when they boarded the flight. We informed the captain but we were too close to landing to divert back to the UK. The other passengers, mainly older people, didn’t want any trouble with boozed-up yobs and just sat there and played with their phones or pretended to be asleep.”

After a stern warning, in perfect English, the youths were led away to a waiting police van, not so mouthy now after they realised you do not mess with the Spanish police. They will be put in front of a judge in the morning to find out their fate. If they are lucky they will come away with a fine, if not, their holiday is over.

Comment

It's a technical victory for you
                              My favourite words.
                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                They will be put in front of a judge in the morning to find out their fate. If they are lucky they will come away with a fine, if not, their holiday is over.
                                Hope they put them in the nonce wing until they can be brought back to Blighty on a cargo boat.

Comment

Got back from a week in Kerry yesterday. Heading out one day to a beach and missus asked me to take her to a beach she knows near Dingle but I'd never heard of. Not thinking much of it, I said grand. When we arrived, there was 5 people there. One aul lad and an aul. wan who live there and a woman from Clare renting a nearby cottage with her kids.

It was absolute bliss and I didnt want to leave, especially after we drove past Inch on the way and it was fucking rammed, same for Ventry out the other side.

Incidentally, inch has been.shut down by Gardai and council today cos it's so busy. I have my little spot to go to for future visits though.

Comment

Absolutely scrotum-tighteningly tense game of cricket here. Both teams deserve a win.

Comment

174 new cases

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                        174 new cases
                                        Mostly in the Plague counties of Kildare and Offaly?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Mostly in the Plague counties of Kildare and Offaly?
                                          Yeah 50 of them not in the dodgy trio.

Comment

Yeah 50 of them not in the dodgy trio.
                                            think they primed us for that yesterday though, that the testing was ongoing and we should expect an ongoing spike

clearly mass deportation of the entire population of Kildare is the only viable solution here

Comment

think they primed us for that yesterday though, that the testing was ongoing and we should expect an ongoing spike

clearly mass deportation of the entire population of Kildare is the only viable solution here
                                              Or 'build the wall, and make Mexico pay for it'

Comment

luckboxed some week to do a tour of the wesht. Westport, then Achill, up to Ballina and finishing up in Sligo now. Lobstered the hell out of myself at Rosses point today, was jaw dropping all day
                                                Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Glen Hansards 'Winning Streak ' A rip off of Dylans Forever Young
                                                  Last edited by Solksjaer!; 08-08-20, 18:29.

Comment

They’re fighting the good fight and doing all the right things to try and keep it from becoming widespread community transmission. This is only going one way though. I find the ‘cross our fingers and hope it’ll be grand’ schools plan hilarious too. We’ll have a handle on these clusters just as that front is opening up.

This is definitely the time to get out and visit people / enjoy a meal or a hotel or whatever. You’ve a few more weeks...
                                                    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                      luckboxed some week to do a tour of the wesht. Westport, then Achill, up to Ballina and finishing up in Sligo now. Lobstered the hell out of myself at Rosses point today, was jaw dropping all day
                                                      Fairly amazing sunset right now. On an elevated site outside Castlebar and we can see Nephin, Croagh Patrick and the Twelve Bens bathed in it.

Comment

Anyone here listen much to Lankum or seen them live?

I discovered them through Shazam (that song I posted last night) and am all over them since.

It's trad music, and I'm not normally a fan of that but this feels like something else. Contemporary trad I suppose but it has a Sigur Ros feel to it for me, not necessarily similar in style, but more in it's mood.

Love them.
                                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

I discovered them through Shazam (that song I posted last night) and am all over them since.

It's trad music, and I'm not normally a fan of that but this feels like something else. Contemporary trad I suppose but it has a Sigur Ros feel to it for me, not necessarily similar in style, but more in it's mood.

Love them.
                                                            Joint best band in Ireland (sharing honours with Girl Band) for the last few years. Incredible live also. They have plenty of punk/drone/avant garde pedigree and that really gives their music something unique.

Doing this next weekend which I'm sure will be worth a look...

https://www.abbeytheatre.ie/whats-on...-at-the-abbey/
                                                            Last edited by BennyHiFi; 08-08-20, 21:00.

Comment

I was demoing an idea to a co worker 21st July and wrote this ;
                                                              Code:
                                                              declare @r decimal (14,4)
                                                              declare @i float
                                                              declare @daystart int
                                                              declare @dayend float

set @r=1.3
                                                              set @i= 20
                                                              set @dayend = 1

;with covid
                                                              (R, Infected, Nodays)
                                                              as
                                                              (Select @r as r,
                                                              @i as infected,
                                                              @dayend as Nodays
                                                              Union all
                                                              Select r,
                                                              sum(infected) over (order by Nodays+1)*@r as Infected,
                                                              covid.Nodays+1 as Nodays
                                                              from covid where Nodays <30)
                                                              select
                                                              r, round(infected,2) as infected,isnull(
                                                              round(infected,2)-(lag(round(infected,2),1) over (order by nodays)),0)as NewCases,
                                                              Nodays from covid
                                                              where nodays<15

running environment here;
                                                              Discover our free online SQL editor enhanced with AI to chat, explain, and generate code. Support SQL Server, MySQL, MariaDB, PostgreSQL, and SQLite.

Surprisingly it was quite close to the money
                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Love them.
                                                                That sounds right up my street

Comment

For those that know me well you can imagine how much I'm enjoying this movie ​​​​​​
                                                                  It's brilliant

Her sky-ness
                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

Really like Lankum but I do find the faux working class Dub accent laid on with a trowel quite off putting. The new album is fantastic.

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                                    Doing this next weekend which I'm sure will be worth a look...

https://www.abbeytheatre.ie/whats-on...-at-the-abbey/
                                                                    A few weeks ago I was given a ticket for the Nick Cave live stream from Ally Pally as a present from someone who had absent mindedly bought a ticket for himself and his girlfriend forgetting that they didn't need a second
                                                                    As it happened I was busy that night and didn't manage to log on in time for it.

Comment

Are they integrated into wider society Charlie or more living on reservations?
                                                                      mate of mine married into first nations.
                                                                      We all moved to canada one hazy summer many moons ago and started out just over the border in kingston
                                                                      where we all lived on an island and bi weekly res visits was the norm. Got on well with all the lads there.
                                                                      Flash forward 9 months and I'm living in hi rise liberal vancouver and the disdain most first nations folks
                                                                      endured and way most of the "woke" (before that was a thing) changed their manner when confronted by a native was fucking shocking to me.
                                                                      Long walks (where police pick up vagrant or drunk natives, drive them x miles outside town then have them walk home, sometimes sans shoes) were still a thing.
                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Really like Lankum but I do find the faux working class Dub accent laid on with a trowel quite off putting. The new album is fantastic.
                                                                        Doesn't really bother me TBH. Inflection/accents/weird sounds/nonsense as part of vocal performance have been part of music forever so it just goes into that category for me.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Long walks (where police pick up vagrant or drunk natives, drive them x miles outside town then have them walk home, sometimes sans shoes) were still a thing.
                                                                            Irish Gardai used to do that to people who had the cheek to be Sinn Fein members 30 years ago. (not the shoe removal, in fairness)

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

mate of mine married into first nations.
                                                                              We all moved to canada one hazy summer many moons ago and started out just over the border in kingston
                                                                              where we all lived on an island and bi weekly res visits was the norm. Got on well with all the lads there.
                                                                              Flash forward 9 months and I'm living in hi rise liberal vancouver and the disdain most first nations folks
                                                                              endured and way most of the "woke" (before that was a thing) changed their manner when confronted by a native was fucking shocking to me.
                                                                              Yeah, that was my impression of the situation too.

Seems like Canada is equally as bad as the US in that regard.

Comment

A bit of a long shot, but any of you remember where the Albanian Communist Party bookshop was in Dublin? I remember the Moscow funded CPI one was on East Essex Street, but can't place the Albanian one.

Comment

Seems the SatNav is 'up in the hostipal' rotten with the covid obv, pity we won't be able to travel for the funeral

Ger Well Soon MSN

Comment

A bit of a long shot, but any of you remember where the Albanian Communist Party bookshop was in Dublin? I remember the Moscow funded CPI one was on East Essex Street, but can't place the Albanian one.
                                                                                    Make sure you’ve cleared your inbox or you won’t see all the PMs

Comment

New home beer drinking policy-if it’s not Belgian it’s not coming in

Comment

Was today hottest day of the year?
                                                                                        made it through without wearing shorts again-it’s all about fabrics lads

Comment

Easier just to stay in the nip. Dressing gown for when you have to answer the door, and webcams taped up.

Comment

10 hours on the new smoker today and 3 hours resting, nicest brisket to date. Ridic juicy.

€20 for that, at least 3/4 left.

An animated gif. Make your own gifs with our Animated Gif Maker.

IMG-20200807-195238.jpg

IMG-20200808-074716.jpg

IMG-20200808-203010.jpg

IMG-20200808-211849.jpg

IMG-20200808-203330.jpg

This too shall pass.

Comment

Not sure. There were some fantastic days just after lockdown on late march - maybe early april.

Comment

Certainly felt like it. Went for a swim to Gormanston beach and twas like bathwater. Nice and warm. Tis not the wesht coast but itll have to do for now.

Comment

I love how ironically 1980s this question is.

The kind of question you'd ask before progress invented Google.

Art.
                                                                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

I think he's describing a situation a good while ago. Hopefully it has changed since Trudeau came into power given there was the big healthfelt apology episode.
                                                                                                          Australia had a big heartfelt apology too.

But rather than looking at colonial history, it is also interesting to read about modern slavery and see where it's prevalent today. Predominantly Asia and Africa:

1979ac39269b4ef7f64cbbdd4d2ec5c5.jpg

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Seems the SatNav is 'up in the hostipal' rotten with the covid obv, pity we won't be able to travel for the funeral

Ger Well Soon MSN
                                                                                                                Ffs lol

I was, up there with a stomach problem. Either inflamed gut or a touch of IBS.

Horrific few days, but bit better now today.
                                                                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

It's a chart designed to show an ideology, hence it not being IMF data. For example there's far more slavery in US if you consider forced labour at $0.23 an hour in US prisons, where people are imprisoned for primarily racial reasons.
                                                                                                                  say what now?
                                                                                                                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

You've hardly got to this stage in your globe trotting life unaware of this? The drug laws, policing patrol distributions, resourcing of public defenders, are specifically designed to preferentially imprison black people. For example the vastly higher prison term for crack vs cocaine. The three strikes laws. Obama - I think still in power while you were living there - made it the keynote of his second term to try to de-racialise the laws. Not very successfully.

As well described in Going Up the River.
                                                                                                                        No silly me, I thought people were imprisoned because...um... they committed a crime.
                                                                                                                        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X