X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
    It's the ultimate "when did you stop beating your wife"
    'when she stopped shitting in my bed' would be the correct answer based on the little I've seen of that trial nonsense
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Maybe the judge can do the decent thing and lock them both up for ten years for being fuckwits

Comment

Sean Connery said a woman needs the odd schlap to keep her in line. He was still revered.

Comment

Attached Files
          Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 23-07-20, 14:58.
          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Neither FF nor the Green Party are adult enough to be in government. If they cannot even get the Leas Ceann Comhairle vote right then there's no hope of them making the tough calls when they come. Utterly senseless me-feinism from them.
            You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
            World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Luckily you know a swashbuckling and airborne physics professor that can both transport everything in his private jet and use his mastery of laws of said physics to fit it all into a single cargo bin like a giant sexy game of tetris.
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Unfortunately said 'private jet' is currently without a fan on the front to make it go.

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-13 at 18.19.57.jpeg ​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                  Neither FF nor the Green Party are adult enough to be in government. If they cannot even get the Leas Ceann Comhairle vote right then there's no hope of them making the tough calls when they come. Utterly senseless me-feinism from them.
                  Not like they get any thanks for it, but they do make like the previous government look like massively overachieving professionals by comparison to this Keystone cops stuff..

The FG TDs must be finding it incredibly hard to (a) keep a straight face and (b), refrain from making any public comment

Comment

If the worst comes to the worst in America and they slide into a Russian style autocracy, I think one of the most interesting questions is who takes over when he dies. Do Jared and Ivanka become king and Queen? Perhaps William Barr would have all the other pretenders arrested and rule with a chubby iron fist.
                    Last edited by Hectorjelly; 23-07-20, 16:23.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                      Not altruistic. I just couldn't face the private sector. Colleagues including your former neighbour who were a few years younger than me jumped ship to the data analytics train and are on 50% more but it sounds like absolute misery.
                      One of my previous bosses called me to see if I would be interested in a role at the Central Bank. Now I think he basically only works there as (a) something to keep his mind busy and (b), his wife probably doesn't want him hanging around the house. Pretty sure he is worth several million as he was one of the very first employees of an investment bank that is now very successful and was in on the ground floor with equity.

It was pretty funny how he oversold the work ('interesting! challenging!), the colleagues, the hours, the work-life balance, the building itself (which does look cool) but skirted all issues relating to filthy lucre. I let him talk himself out and then asked what the salary would be. Less than half what I'm on.

Thanks, we'll do lunch some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                        I'd the worst comes to the worst in America and they slide into a Russian style authorocy, I think one of the most interesting questions is who takes over when he dies. Do Jared and Ivanka become king and Queen? Perhaps William Barr would have all the other pretenders arrested and rule with a chubby iron fist.
                        Surely Don Junior!

Jared ain't blood.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                            Sean Connery said a woman needs the odd schlap to keep her in line. He was still revered.
                            He's not dead? Or is he? Hard to remember these days

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                              Extremely disingenuous to link this to the covid 19 tracker app when this snitching is baked in to all android phones by default.
                              love that you will get morons deleting the app based on this article who will then happily keep using google play.
                              The HSE has said it is important not to conflate issues with how Google enables apps through the store with the functionality of this particular app.

Agreed, it is ridiculous and a lack of critical reporting will create even more anti-5G type morons. You carry an internet connected device packed full of sensors which can (and does) record absolutely everything about you. Such a shocker that google/apple/fb etc are capturing semi-anonymised (and not so semi) data about you. It's literally in the T&Cs that you accept when you turn on the phone for the first time. Add smart home tech, virtual assistants and more. Do you purchase anything online? If you want actual "privacy" then throw all of your tech in the bin and move to the Blasket Islands.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Not like they get any thanks for it, but they do make like the previous government look like massively overachieving professionals by comparison to this Keystone cops stuff..

The FG TDs must be finding it incredibly hard to (a) keep a straight face and (b), refrain from making any public comment
                                "Keep the head down, seriously keep the fucking head down"

Comment

dean rocks nixer
                                  The Dublin forward, who is within two points of Jimmy Keaveney’s all-time scoring record for the county, announced ‘The Dean Rock Free Taking Project’ earlier this month. Its stated purpose is ‘to inspire and educate current and aspiring free takers’.

350 euro fir 2 sessions, very inspiring

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                    I wonder if I'm overthinking things here.

The wife assumed responsibility for organising the move to Ireland due to me going into hospital and the post-recovery. Lovely stuff, very nice to step up to the plate in the time of need, we're all in this together. Only signed the contract with work on the day before going into surgery, so couldn't really do anything much until that point.

I would suggest there are four simple steps in moving house which should be obvious to everyone, which I've summarised as:

496bau.jpg

Now I'm not going to fault the preparation. She set up a Trello with maybe 100 different tasks and seems to have been working through them at a fierce pace. It seems almost mean to judge her. Got down to proper micro-tasks too. Like ordering plug converters as everything we have now works on proper plugs rather than those brit monstrosities that Ireland has. Loving the attention to detail.

But .... she seems to have not done anything at all of steps 1-3 and instead spent days on end working out things like how to cancel a phone contract. Would you not think that steps 1-3 are the fairly obvious priorities?

I managed through broken ribs to do number 3, and did 1 as well. Her thought on 3 was that we'd just pop up off the ferry and find somewhere. Number 1 didn't make the list. And now it seems like there's no obvious way to do 2 as every removal company is booked for August when everything in France is kinda slow anyway. So we're left with having no obvious way to move anything out of the house at a time we *have* to leave as we have a ferry and someone is moving in a week or so later.

She seems very proud of what she has done, so I'm only noting it here for observation rather than directly to her. It feels too 'judgey' to say it out loud, and yet ...
                                    Were you looking at removals companies in France only? Might be worth considering using UK or Irish removal companies if available? May be more expensive, but gets the job done?
                                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Comment

I've had a quote for £1,100 for removals, to get all my shite safely home, however am wondering what I'd have to pay for them to come do the packing too. Think its a job I'm happy to "throw money at" tbh.

Comment

dean rocks nixer
                                          The Dublin forward, who is within two points of Jimmy Keaveney’s all-time scoring record for the county, announced ‘The Dean Rock Free Taking Project’ earlier this month. Its stated purpose is ‘to inspire and educate current and aspiring free takers’.

350 euro fir 2 sessions, very inspiring
                                          I've close to zero interest in GAA, but good for him if he can get it. Try hire any professional in any field for a few hours and see what fee they request (but I guess he's not a professional). How dare anyone but the GAA profit from the sport, especially the players. It's quite an odd concept, become one of the best in your field and you can charge people for the knowledge you have
                                          Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 23-07-20, 17:09.

Comment

There is a Frankie Boyle live on BBC2 at 10 this evening. Don't think it's been shown before, though assume it was recorded pre covid.
                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post

I've close to zero interest in GAA, but good for him if he can get it. Try hire any professional in any field for a few hours and see what fee they request (but I guess he's not a professional). How dare anyone but the GAA profit from the sport, especially the players. It's quite an odd concept, become one of the best in your field and you can charge people for the knowledge you have
                                              Amateur ethos
                                              presumably he learned how to take frees with free coaching at his club bit rich to turn around and do this
                                              i suppose if some adult club player wants to set fire to his own money for this let them off but very cheeky to try and gouge young players out of it
                                              can see how a Dublin player would think is acceptable behaviour though tbf

Comment

Comment

A 'Pension time bomb' is when good popcorny interesting BBV gets shafted for talk of pensions.
                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Amateur ethos
                                                    presumably he learned how to take frees with free coaching at his club bit rich to turn around and do this
                                                    i suppose if some adult club player wants to set fire to his own money for this let them off but very cheeky to try and gouge young players out of it
                                                    can see how a Dublin player would think is acceptable behaviour though tbf
                                                    Amateur ethos is a good laugh, he's done enough already for free. It's a money making sport just the players don't get a slice of it but get their bodies ruined by it. GAA players are expected to be professionals without the monetary gain professionals get. Just the NCAA or the IOC on a smaller scale. And like all top athletes he has likely spent more time alone practicing than he has with someone coaching him.

Comment

Amateur ethos is a good laugh, he's done enough already for free. It's a money making sport just the players don't get a slice of it but get their bodies ruined by it. GAA players are expected to be professionals without the monetary gain professionals get. Just the NCAA or the IOC on a smaller scale. And like all top athletes he has likely spent more time alone practicing than he has with someone coaching him.
                                                      “Don’t get anything out of it” we’re taking about a Dublin player here
                                                      nobody puts a gun to these players heads they submit themselves to the whims of petty tyrant managers so my sympathy level is zero when one of them starts the entitled whinging like about the sacrifices he makes.
                                                      Not just an anti Dublin thing either I’ve the same attitude towards lads From the midlands looking for tax breaks because they fucked away the best years of their lives driving hours down the country to train for their 2 championship games a year where they get pulverised by a strong county gtfo

Comment

Ryan hangs on as GP leader, just about.

He should purge the fuck out of them now. No more of this nicey-nicey bullshit.

Comment

“Don’t get anything out of it” we’re taking about a Dublin player here
                                                          nobody puts a gun to these players heads they submit themselves to the whims of petty tyrant managers so my sympathy level is zero when one of them starts the entitled whinging like about the sacrifices he makes.
                                                          Not just an anti Dublin thing either I’ve the same attitude towards lads From the midlands looking for tax breaks because they fucked away the best years of their lives driving hours down the country to train for their 2 championship games a year where they get pulverised by a strong county gtfo
                                                          Didn't say they don't get anything, but they don't get anywhere near what they should financially from it.

Comment

Yeah that Dean Rock thing is possibly even more gross than Gooch's 500 quid a plate testamonial dinner. Get in the bin.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                              Yeah that Dean Rock thing is possibly even more gross than Gooch's 500 quid a plate testamonial dinner. Get in the bin.
                                                              Why shouldn't they be able to use their fame/skills as a way to make money?

What's a local personal trainer who has spent a year or two getting a cert/diploma charging now, 60, 80, 100+ for 45 minutes? A guy who is clearly one of the best at what he does is not charging a whole lot more for two sessions.
                                                              Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 23-07-20, 18:54.

Comment

I can't understand the outrage over the fee. After-tax it isn't going to make him a millionaire anyway. If the price was too high people wouldn't pay it.

Comment

Why shouldn't they be able to use their fame/skills as a way to make money?

What's a local personal trainer who has spent a year or two getting a cert/diploma charging now, 60, 80, 100+ for 45 minutes? A guy who is clearly one of the best at what he does is not charging a whole lot more for two sessions.
                                                                  It's contrary to the entire ethos of the association that many of us have been deeply embedded in all our lives, and has been accepted and agreed upon by all involved (mostly) for the last 150 years. That might not seem like a big deal if you don't care much about it but without wanting to write a long essay on my phone I just think it's rotten. Dean Rock started off being coached in Ballymun for free by volunteers doing it to give back to the community that nurtured them as kids in turn. He's now looking to enrich himself by charging fellow amateurs fairly obnoxious amounts to bask in his reflected glory and give out a few tips. If he wants to be a personal trainer he should go away and become one same as Philly Mc. If he wants to be a private sports coach coining off an expressly amateur and collegiate organisation he should go back in time and find another sport.

Good luck to him but I see it as an affront to the thing his celebrity is built off of. If any of our club's big names tried to look for money to pass on skills they've been coached in for free all their lives I'd tell them to fuck off.

Ultimately any money players bleed out of the GAA ecosystem is money that won't be available to clubs and grass roots. Same way Gooch's expensive self-enrichment dinner took money away from the club and County structures that gave him the opportunity to be a person of note in the first place, which is gross. At least he was retired before he stuck his hand in the pockets of the clubs.

​​​​​​I could go on and on and I know I'm probably not making a very convincing argument if you're looking from the outside in but for me this is something that just reflects everything that's gone wrong and going wrong with the GAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

It's contrary to the entire ethos of the association that many of us have been deeply embedded in all our lives, and has been accepted and agreed upon by all involved (mostly) for the last 150 years. That might not seem like a big deal if you don't care much about it but without wanting to write a long essay on my phone I just think it's rotten. Dean Rock started off being coached in Ballymun for free by volunteers doing it to give back to the community that nurtured them as kids in turn. He's now looking to enrich himself by charging fellow amateurs fairly obnoxious amounts to bask in his reflected glory and give out a few tips. If he wants to be a personal trainer he should go away and become one same as Philly Mc. If he wants to be a private sports coach coining off an expressly amateur and collegiate organisation he should go back in time and find another sport.

Good luck to him but I see it as an affront to the thing his celebrity is built off of. If any of our club's big names tried to look for money to pass on skills they've been coached in for free all their lives I'd tell them to fuck off.

Ultimately any money players bleed out of the GAA ecosystem is money that won't be available to clubs and grass roots. Same way Gooch's expensive self-enrichment dinner took money away from the club and County structures that gave him the opportunity to be a person of note in the first place, which is gross. At least he was retired before he stuck his hand in the pockets of the clubs.

​​​​​​I could go on and on and I know I'm probably not making a very convincing argument if you're looking from the outside in but for me this is something that just reflects everything that's gone wrong and going wrong with the GAA.
                                                                    Yup I just can't get my head around the 'GAA ethos' seems completely mad to someone who was brought up with zero GAA talk in the house or with friends. Maybe 150 years ago when it wasn't a money making machine it was a valid reason but there's millions sloshing around the sport now and the guys involved are professionals, completely different levels of time being sunk into training, travelling, diet, tactics etc than what was asked of them even 10/20 years ago. They walk into a pub during season and they'll get all sorts of looks for having a few pints. They deserve to be able to get some financial gain from something they've spent 20/30 years involved in and not have a bad joints and maybe a medal to look back on as what the sport gave them.

Every other sport has people giving their time to kids for free/next to nothing but the same 'oh you're making money from this, that's not allowed' attitude isn't there. It honestly looks like a hell of trick the GAA have played on people.

Comment

Selling a skill for money seems like a personally fine ethos to have.

Comment

Jasus, Keane was close to the last person I'd expect to go off on one (150 years). Had Hitchhikers one marked in on the calendar, though I had it as the first week in August that the wife boots him out.
                                                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 23-07-20, 20:08.

Comment

Beautiful...

Comment

...

Comment

Yup I just can't get my head around the 'GAA ethos' seems completely mad to someone who was brought up with zero GAA talk in the house or with friends. Maybe 150 years ago when it wasn't a money making machine it was a valid reason but there's millions sloshing around the sport now and the guys involved are professionals, completely different levels of time being sunk into training, travelling, diet, tactics etc than what was asked of them even 10/20 years ago. They walk into a pub during season and they'll get all sorts of looks for having a few pints. They deserve to be able to get some financial gain from something they've spent 20/30 years involved in and not have a bad joints and maybe a medal to look back on as what the sport gave them.

Every other sport has people giving their time to kids for free/next to nothing but the same 'oh you're making money from this, that's not allowed' attitude isn't there. It honestly looks like a hell of trick the GAA have played on people.
                                                                                Yeah I understand the point but this is all part of the same root problem. The millions sloshing around are millions that should be ploughed into the communities that generated them, instead they are being used by a corporate Croke Park to generate more millions - where 'generate' is a shorthand for draining the communities that built the organisation all over the island. From that POV it's no wonder players - who now nauseatingly see themselves as 'the product' - want a piece of the corporation's wealth.

Corporate GAA/Croke Park is the sickness, players looking to enrich themselves is just a symptom.

Comment

This bit from his blurb is what really got to me “inspire and educate current and aspiring free takers ’.” He’s only been successful because of his Capital city privilege anyway

Comment

This bit from his blurb is what really got to me “inspire and educate current and aspiring free takers ’.” He’s only been successful because of his Capital city privilege anyway
                                                                                    How did you feel about the Sky coverage ? Not arguing the point . A separate question

Comment

You are correct . It's a privilege to be a Dub. At last your bitterness is abating. What happened ?

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                        Jasus, Keane was close to the last person I'd expect to go off on one (150 years). Had Hitchhikers one marked in on the calendar, though I had it as the first week in August that the wife boots him out.
                                                                                        This is the farthest thing from an out of character argument imaginable for me

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

How did you feel about the Sky coverage ? Not arguing the point . A separate question
                                                                                          You prob meant to direct this question To Keane, I don’t have much of an opinion on it

Comment

You prob meant to direct this question To Keane, I don’t have much of an opinion on it
                                                                                            I was totally in favour at the time but on balance now I think it was a mistake despite some positives. I think I was in favour at the time mostly because of how much I despised Brolly and Spillane on the Sunday Game

Comment

Hitch, PM sent about removal company that my brother works for. Do international removals, just back from a 2 week jaunt to South Africa to relocate some lad to Dublin.

Comment

...

Comment

I'd consider paying €350 to an Olympic athlete for 2 hours of advice and coaching. It's actually quite cheap.

This negativity towards Rock is baffling tbh.
                                                                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

I've noticed the quality of road flagman-ship outside building sites around Dublin has deteriorated recently. Some of then dont hold stop signs, some of them dont even face traffic even when they do. Some of them just stand partially blocking the road as an indication you should stop. Some dont even raise their hand aloft to indicate you to stop. Maybe its just a new style and will catch on.

Comment

The bitterness is just so so sweet. Oh please more. Give me an auld financial doping post there, go on

You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Fair play to dean rock if he can get morons to part with their cash. Also fair play to Gooch for that retirement party. May as well make a few pound while they're at it. What's the difference between telling a lad how to kick and every half known gaa player releasing a book which will always 100% entail a piece about how they struggled with their mental health. Even Rorys poxy stories has 2 or 3 books at this stage.

If you want amateur ethos and love of the game. Get yourself out to a game where the likes of me drag our fat arses and bellies around for however long we last. Division 8 of the Meath junior football leagues is where the real dogs play.

Comment

I agree fully with the sentiments about Rock expressed by all of Charlie and PSV and Keane.

Its an inevitable consequence of the mess the GAA has got themselves in by trying to be both a not for profit community organisation and a fully professional sports entertainment business albeit with only one fully professional team plying against a number of semi pro and fully amateur teams.

They are on a train hurtling towards professionalism and may still have a choice to switch tracks ti remain amateur but the minimum price for that will be to distribute the Dublin money around the country. Its what you could call the Brolly problem.
                                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

...
                                                                                                            Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 23-07-20, 22:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

The bitterness is just so so sweet. Oh please more. Give me an auld financial doping post there, go on
                                                                                                              Your wish is my command

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                                I'd consider paying €350 to an Olympic athlete for 2 hours of advice and coaching. It's actually quite cheap.

Might appear cheap if it's one to one coaching but I suspect it will be groups of 10 or more at which point it becomes vulgar if you're getting 4 or 5 bags for an afternoons work. I played at inter county level and I recognize the sacrifices needed to succeed better than most. I suppose what I'm trying to say here is He's a greedy bastard but a clever greedy bastard if he cons lads to this degree. Karma will attend to Mr. Rock all in the fullness of time.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                                  I may be a bit slow but cant get my head around this looming pension crisis, rather, the solution. They tell us at the moment its roughly 5/1 worker to pensioner and in 20 years will be 2/1. They want to push the retirement age to say 70.

Does this not literally kick the can down the road and instead of a crisis in 20 years its now 25 years ?
                                                                                                                  Some great answers , and great bashing of the gold covered public pension schemes...but I still dont understand why me, as a private sector worker who has a DB scheme and pays PRSI is asked to wait till 67 or 70 to take my state pension, can anyone explain in simple terms how this 2-3 year deferral makes everything ok ? And if it doesnt make everything ok in 20 years why is it on the table as an option ? I am obviously missing something obvious, it cant be as simple as just not paying it for 2 years because people live 2 years longer ?
                                                                                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Netflix has a show called Street Food: Latin America. Its beautiful. Only 6 x30min episodes. Watch it, you will feel much better from it.
                                                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Sure you're welcome to do so and always have been.

What you may be failing to imagine is the dream in which you could rock down to the local track with your young daughters to find the local olympian there training and only too happy to pass on the wisdom he or she has because that's where they learned it, and they have always felt looked after and respected by the community to the extent that all they want is to pass that on to your kids and all the next generation for the pure love of it.

If you can read that and think it's all only a fantasy you might then be able to relate to why people like me are lamenting the fact that in our community we're now deliberately pissing that exact reality away for lunch money.
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Keane; 24-07-20, 00:23.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                                          Netflix has a show called Street Food: Latin America. Its beautiful. Only 6 x30min episodes. Watch it, you will feel much better from it.
                                                                                                                          I've watched a couple of episodes and really enjoyed it. It seems to be more even more story centred than the previous series in Asia. Fans of Eamoqueca's fish stew will love the Brazilian episode.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X