X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

There ye go ye weirdo. Can't get spoiler tags to work on photos here

That's fucking class. Ty

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
          Hmm, certain places see more mask wearing than others. I was in Aldi in Sandyford yesterday and about 50% of shoppers were wearing a mask (myself included), skewed towards the older shoppers for sure. Zero staff were wearing masks, which surprised me somewhat, as many had been up until recently. Wife was on the Green Line Luas yesterday and said just over 50% were masked up. I'm certain that in Ireland, as anywhere else probably, socio-economic faultlines can be determined by visible uptake of mask wearing!

Going for a meal & few pints this Friday with some friends in a local gastro-pub, will be very interested to see what the scene is like. Don't plan to wear a mask in that situation!
          I was going to go into work today for first time in almost 4 months, then I read the checklist of shite and decided I couldn't be arsed

I'm basically Trump\Bolsonaro levels of not wanting to wear a mask
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

ah, so that's where 'prime directive' comes from

We use that term in work for an absolutely fundamental data principle in investment data. Always wondered why the nerds smirked when the term was used, now I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
              ah, so that's where 'prime directive' comes from

We use that term in work for an absolutely fundamental data principle in investment data. Always wondered why the nerds smirked when the term was used, now I know.
              You need to throw in an occasional 'make it so', they'll piss themselves!

?u=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F_PX7fseE4voc%2FTHKgo90ZE9I%2FAAAAAAAAAEo%2FotHsqf3Qhc4%2Fs1600%2Fmake%2Bit%2Bso_2.jpg&f=1&nofb=1.jpg
              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                  Jaysus,
                  was there really an IPB meetup this day 8 years ago?
                  Feels like a lifetime ago
                  One would have had a whopping hangover today

"Finally coming around somewhat after a most amazing night with the IrishPokerBoards crew, the night could not have went better. Unbelievable mad bunch! Think I might organise a winter one too Would never have thought Karaoke and poker would go so well together "
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.
                  Her sky-ness
                  © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                    On a somewhat tangential note to the mortgage chat. Is anyone thinking of making major lifestyle/living changes on the back of the WFH revolution that looks like it’s coming or just general lessons arising from the pandemic.

Personally we chose to live out in the extreme west of Kildare for the lifestyle 3 years ago (as much if not more than for the value). That decision has been brilliant for us as a family, but it’s looking even better now that it looks like I’ll be WFH ~3 days a week from whenever we start back in the office. My wife is looking like 1 day a week in the office as well.
                    My job has been very clear, we will be bringing all people back into the office once it is safe to do so. WFH isn't going to be an option long term.

I can see their point, a lot of we do is somewhat hands on and while we have managed with only 30% of staff in the office for the last 17 weeks, it has meant that certain things take longer and are harder to do. Had we had all staff in here over that time period, things would have been a lot simpler.

That said, I would like the option to be able to WFH as and when I wanted to, even if it was only on ad-hoc days as I know I get a lot more done when I can lock myself away and not have people at my desk every 5 minutes or getting unwittingly roped to office cooler type chats. I'm hoping the initial hard line stance on no WFH is just to make sure there are no people taking the piss wanting not to come back into the office as they are somewhat dossing at home and once back in the swing of it, I'll have somewhat carte blanche on where I am/what I do.

As for lifestyle changes, there are a few but nothing overly major - I couldn't move to the sticks, too much of a city boy. Don't get me wrong, I love heading out West for long weekends/a week a few times a year but I couldn't live there, I need the buzz of the city.

There's a few things around food that I want to look at but they are mainly just an extension/improvement of what I already do.

Exercise is another thing I want to look at as I still don't get enough and I really need to address it.

And probably lastly, is switching off/slowing down, which I have somewhat improved at during the lockdown. One simple (and possibly mad) thing that has changed is the weekend papers. I'd usually buy them and then weirdly feel under pressure to read them all by Sunday night. Over the last few months, I've often still being read them the following Friday or Saturday and I've actually quite liked it!

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

My job has been very clear, we will be bringing all people back into the office once it is safe to do so. WFH isn't going to be an option long term.

I can see their point, a lot of we do is somewhat hands on and while we have managed with only 30% of staff in the office for the last 17 weeks, it has meant that certain things take longer and are harder to do. Had we had all staff in here over that time period, things would have been a lot simpler.

That said, I would like the option to be able to WFH as and when I wanted to, even if it was only on ad-hoc days as I know I get a lot more done when I can lock myself away and not have people at my desk every 5 minutes or getting unwittingly roped to office cooler type chats. I'm hoping the initial hard line stance on no WFH is just to make sure there are no people taking the piss wanting not to come back into the office as they are somewhat dossing at home and once back in the swing of it, I'll have somewhat carte blanche on where I am/what I do.

As for lifestyle changes, there are a few but nothing overly major - I couldn't move to the sticks, too much of a city boy. Don't get me wrong, I love heading out West for long weekends/a week a few times a year but I couldn't live there, I need the buzz of the city.

There's a few things around food that I want to look at but they are mainly just an extension/improvement of what I already do.

Exercise is another thing I want to look at as I still don't get enough and I really need to address it.

And probably lastly, is switching off/slowing down, which I have somewhat improved at during the lockdown. One simple (and possibly mad) thing that has changed is the weekend papers. I'd usually buy them and then weirdly feel under pressure to read them all by Sunday night. Over the last few months, I've often still being read them the following Friday or Saturday and I've actually quite liked it!
                      You should get yourself a couple of kids, that'd sort out the last few items for you straightaway.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

You should get yourself a couple of kids, that'd sort out the last few items for you straightaway.

I'm not sure I could afford kids and the fine wine habit!

Comment

Anyone else who wears glasses finding they fog up when wearing a mask? One end is more steeply curved that the other and I assume that goes under the chin.

Surely I'm not so thick I'm putting it on wrong?
                          Ignore the question mark on that last sentence,
                          we already know the answer. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                            Anyone else who wears glasses finding they fog up when wearing a mask? One end is more steeply curved that the other and I assume that goes under the chin.

The curved part goes over the nose, not the chin.

Fogging is an issue, I think you reduce that using breathing techniques.
                            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Hosepipe ban lifted https://www.rte.ie/news/environment/...epa-emissions/

Comment

Anyone else who wears glasses finding they fog up when wearing a mask?
                                Yeah the same. I've found breathing out through the mouth only helps somewhat.

Comment

Shaving foam. Cover your glasses with some and rub off. Fogging greatly diminished. You’re welcome.
                                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

I think a WFH flexibility and mindset will be a big part of attracting and hiring experienced staff once the recession passes. The trend is being accelerated due to the pandemic and once people have economic choices it will be quite important to have it embedded in the company culture.

In financial services it’s definitely going to become a must have to be able to successfully WFH policy at lest 2-3 days a week I reckon.
                                    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Comment

it's achievable

Comment

Comment

Comment

If you cant afford the best wine get the best cheese . Dont mind the buffs when you find the right taste combo you can totally have kids and completely enjoy easy singles and Ribena.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

If you cant afford the best wine get the best cheese . Dont mind the buffs when you find the right taste combo you can totally have kids and completely enjoy easy singles and Ribena.
                                                my most recent mind-blowing realisation was that the best wine to match with cheese is generally white wine....

Comment

I think a WFH flexibility and mindset will be a big part of attracting and hiring experienced staff once the recession passes. The trend is being accelerated due to the pandemic and once people have economic choices it will be quite important to have it embedded in the company culture.

In financial services it’s definitely going to become a must have to be able to successfully WFH policy at lest 2-3 days a week I reckon.
                                                  I agree somewhat with the overall sentiment of your post.

However, our warehouse workers can't work from home. Desk based operations staff that have to access the warehouse for multiple reasons daily can't really work from home - we managed with workarounds as we've had no choice over the last few months but it takes longer, is more complicated and less efficient.

For department supervisors and managers of the operations team's, technically, they could probably WFH a good bit but managing your team who are all in the office from home doesn't make sense and isn't really practical.

Sales and account managers could WFH/have their car as an office but there is huge interaction between them and the department managers and the operations team's so if the later are all in the office, it makes sense to have a base for the former there too.

There is also the issue that not everybody has a home office or even a spare bedroom. An awful lot of the people I've spoken to (internal, customers and suppliers) that have been WFH are at the kitchen/dining room table, which isn't suitable long term.

While WFH can sound amazing, it doesn't always work out as good as it seems.

Comment

I agree somewhat with the overall sentiment of your post.

However, our warehouse workers can't work from home. Desk based operations staff that have to access the warehouse for multiple reasons daily can't really work from home - we managed with workarounds as we've had no choice over the last few months but it takes longer, is more complicated and less efficient.

For department supervisors and managers of the operations team's, technically, they could probably WFH a good bit but managing your team who are all in the office from home doesn't make sense and isn't really practical.

Sales and account managers could WFH/have their car as an office but there is huge interaction between them and the department managers and the operations team's so if the later are all in the office, it makes sense to have a base for the former there too.

There is also the issue that not everybody has a home office or even a spare bedroom. An awful lot of the people I've spoken to (internal, customers and suppliers) that have been WFH are at the kitchen/dining room table, which isn't suitable long term.

While WFH can sound amazing, it doesn't always work out as good as it seems.
                                                    All good points for your job/industry. It’s never going to be for everybody but even 30% of people working from home would be game changing.

The issue of not having space and a WFH setup and space can certainly be overcome with planning and will be a factor in people’s accommodation choices in the future. That plus broadband.

Comment

Got an awfully full basket on Millesima. Those en-primeur prices are tempting. Haven't found the will (stupidity) to pull the trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

Got an awfully full basket on Millesima. Those en-primeur prices are tempting. Haven't found the will (stupidity) to pull the trigger.
                                                        A wine thread sounds to me like a good idea. What do you guys think?

I'd like to get more and more into it over the next while, be nice to have a handy resource to easily read back over.
                                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

The four month wait is almost over and in accordance with the most recent timetable announced by Government the Club will reopen on Monday 20th July. Our opening hours will be 6pm to 6am seven days a week. Our dedicated card room will also be open where members can enjoy cash poker on our new bespoke large poker tables.

Members will see some changes which have been made to comply with the advice and guidelines issued by Government to reduce the risk of spreading covid-19. For example it may take a little longer to register and gain admission and the number of players at each table will be limited. These measures are for your safety and for the safety of other members and our team and we would ask for your cooperation and patience.

We are ready to go and look forward to welcoming plenty of old faces as well as many new ones.

Please contact us at info@thesportingemporium.com if you have any queries and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

See you soon!

The Sporting Emporium Team

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

Future you will be very thankful of present you if you pull the trigger!

I had to stop looking at the daily e-mails from them after buying 5 dozen bottles, it was just too tempting to keep going back in plus there is only so much wine I can sneak into the house and pretend to Mrs Lao that it was always there...

Comment

Came across that. They seem to be reopening thr poker room? I guess with the Fitz and Jackpot gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

I'd like to get more and more into it over the next while, be nice to have a handy resource to easily read back over.
                                                                  There was a fine wine, beer and spirit thread from about 4 years ago that could be revived?

Presume it's in the community section.

Comment

At around 20%. Who wants to be the one to miss out on a share of the biggest poker tournament in online history. Pledge some of those lockdown savings here.

Comment

I LOL'd

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Watch Sour Grapes on Netflix before you choose this path.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Watch Sour Grapes on Netflix before you choose this path.
                                                                          Ignorance is definitely bliss in wine drinking. I like to be halfway through a bottle before I pull out the vivino to see how my ignorance matches up
                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

I'm already seeing it from the people contacting me about jobs, and tbh if somebodies company does not offer it and the competition do, people will move. Being at home around 3 days a week would be perfect for me, it's a great enhancement to how I feel in general. Less stressed, more energy, working more efficiently and so on.

Comment

Who is going to pour cold water on the Supreme Court ruling on Trumps tax returns ? Hitch , your take ?

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                  Don't know what happened!
                                                                                  Ah here Twitter King . Have a snickers you are not yourself when you're hungry

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                    Who is going to pour cold water on the Supreme Court ruling on Trumps tax returns ? Hitch , your take ?
                                                                                    Seems to be largely irrelevant in terms of the election is the obvious problem - looks like nothing will be public before November.

Comment

The access Hollywood tape didn't stop him winning. Who's gonna flip on tax returns.

Comment

26 boozers in trouble for not operating correctly. Look forward to seeing the list

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                          26 boozers in trouble for not operating correctly. Look forward to seeing the list
                                                                                          There wont be any official list published (No knowing wink in generic smiles 6Starpool?)

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post

There wont be any official list published (No knowing wink in generic smiles 6Starpool?)
                                                                                            I know of one place in town well known for Karaoke that was serving free platters since it opened and there's no way in hell you could social distance in there.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Looks like Mr Bald got a right auld dose of the Covid. Not too surprising considering he was deliberately going to places with no lockdowns.

Comment

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

He's a very charming man. He's famous for something?
                                                                                                        Just his youtube channel, and describing everything he sees as Soviet!

Comment

Only 4 months ago he was kinda joking about the virus

Comment

Belfast city council are offering compensation to families who were denied access to the crematorium last week while at the same time Mary Lou, Gerry, Michelle and the IRA Army council were allowed stage a second gathering there. Whole story grows more bizarre by the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                              Belfast city council are offering compensation to families who were denied access to the crematorium last week while at the same time Mary Lou, Gerry, Michelle and the IRA Army council were allowed stage a second gathering there. Whole story grows more bizarre by the day.
                                                                                                              The way you go on about it, you sound like someone who was kicked out of the provos 'cause you fucked up the soldering on a bomb circuit.

Comment

CNN are trying to have it both ways too. I'd like to see more Trump supporters turn up at his rallies. Take off their masks while their at it, and maybe spit on each other to express their 2nd amendment rights.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

The way you go on about it, you sound like someone who was kicked out of the provos 'cause you fucked up the soldering on a bomb circuit.
                                                                                                                  I did know someone who did a bit of soldering for them and I got to see what the outcome of their electronics projects was.

Genuinely think that the way this funeral was run is a huge moment and should open the eyes of anyone who was codded into thinking that the political leadership of SF have any power.
                                                                                                                  Not surprised the fellow travellers have nothing to say about it, denial is a difficult thing to deal with.

Comment

Cricket is back so we must all be safe now

Comment

...

Comment

Gaa fans will love this .

https://twitter.com/tomas5ky/status/...692447234?s=19

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Genuinely think that the way this funeral was run is a huge moment and should open the eyes of anyone who was codded into thinking that the political leadership of SF have any power.
                                                                                                                          Not surprised the fellow travellers have nothing to say about it, denial is a difficult thing to deal with.
                                                                                                                          I can't understand why you wouldn't be delighted at the increased chance of Gerry and Mary-Lou getting Covid and having a more painful death than they might otherwise have.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X