This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
    Amazing the people we work/play with and we haven't a clue who they are.

Frank Murphy (RIP) was a Fitz tournament regular and played on the downstairs tourney table usually. A nicer gent you could not meet. Unassuming and modest.
    I remember chatting to him saying how I was doing a bit of running etc. He said that he had done a bit himself when younger but nothing to indicate the remarkable athlete that he was.
    1500 metre silver medalist in the European Championships in 1969 and a 2 time Olympian

I only found this out after he had passed away in 2017.

Wish I'd known sooner I'd have plagued him with questions!

Aww I never knew he died. A gent indeed. Always wanted to deal/chop. Did a bad deal once as it was him and I couldn't say no. Such a nice man. Got slagged over the chop but more important things eh. Rest in peace . Time is racing by

Comment

Odds on pubs being shut again before end of month?
      its not going to work-solid piss being taken already

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

I can't say I didn't have any clue of what this guy is made of but I heard a terrible story tonight about a lad I know who apparently attempted to commit suicide with a gun but only managed to blow away half his face.
        Fucking hell

Jesus, thats horrific

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Aww I never knew he died. A gent indeed. Always wanted to deal/chop. Did a bad deal once as it was him and I couldn't say no. Such a nice man. Got slagged over the chop but more important things eh. Rest in peace . Time is racing by

An absolute gent. Always had a shirt and tie on. Didn't know he had died, didn't know his story either.

This is a nice article about him.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Ran into that person again. Confirmed sociopath.
            My skin crawls even thinking about meeting one. It's beyond describable.
            You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
            World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

My skin crawls even thinking about meeting one. It's beyond describable.
              I'd assume we've all met sociopaths multiple times, given the stats of frequency that are thrown about.
              I think the difference is that most sociopaths presumably wear a mask all the time. Whereas Denny's sociopath seem to enjoy winking at him from behind the mask.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                Odds on pubs being shut again before end of month?
                its not going to work-solid piss being taken already
                It'll be at about 6 weeks before anyone getting newly infected will die. Think daily deaths will have to rise to about 5 or above before most people will really be bothered, I'd guess about the second week in September.
                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

The maestro is dead

RIP Ennio.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Just drop this one in here:

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                          Got given underwear today for the first time. Felt like a dobby the house elf moment in my gratitude. It's really hard to find the right facial expressions to convey "I know it's not why we're here, I really do appreciate that, lets get on with the medical stuff, but I still want you to know that it's normally bigger" to the hot nurse staring at your manhood.
                          Be glad the it was recently shaved

Comment

Chest drain still in Hitch ?
                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Comment

R
                                There's one person I met in work maybe four years ago where we were on opposite sides of a dispute and one particular incident in my office where it seemed like his whole demeanor just changed in a blink during what seemed like friendly enough jostling. I've been in a lot of disputes over the years, but never seen anything like this almost immediate change in personality. Like I still go cold thinking about it and spend maybe an hour trembling afterwards even though it was just some meaningless words that I can't even remember now.

I'd say a key to distinguish between someone you just don't like or get, and someone approaching a sociopath is that there is a surprisingly large number of people against the person despite them being, on paper, really capable.

This guy was given some minor responsibility and somehow managed to turn it into the most discussed thing in the school. Everyone disagreeing on it, and all focus on this role, despite it being almost completely meaningless. I've actually done this role for the last two years and don't think anyone even knows I do it, its that minor. Yet with him - all the focus was on him.

He was actually fired from the school. Which is some achievement in France. I've gone missing for months on end and all people have said is 'well you should really try to work'. It's so fucking hard to be fired. Then he went to a new school and was fired from there three months later. The bit I'm maybe reading too much into is that I met his wife a few times as our kids were in the same school and she always had a very battered look about her. Not physically, more like she had been destructed mentally. That could very well be in my head though.
                                Clearly not a very highly-functioning sociopath.

Reads more like a self-important dickhead.
                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Comment

Mad to think Ennio was just a year older that Clint . So was very young composing those iconic scores .

His music has a life of it's own now . Loved this clip .
                                    still get goosebumps

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post

Just drop this one in here:

There are two kinds of people in this world my friend, Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig!

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Read the Jon Ronson book about sociopaths (spoiler: we vastly overdiagnose). Another book by some Harvard guy saying sociopathic tendencies are quite common in CEOs.
                                            I’d imagine we do over-diagnose. Things like the line between tendencies not necessarily being proof of clinical sociopathy.
                                            I'd say a key to distinguish between someone you just don't like or get, and someone approaching a sociopath is that there is a surprisingly large number of people against the person despite them being, on paper, really capable.
                                            Could just be a narcissistic arsehole.
                                            Aren’t sociopaths often charming? Or is that only full blown psychopaths?

Comment

decided to work from local coffee shop this afternoon
                                              absolute fucking bliss compared to working at home....
                                              if only it was a pub
                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                if only it was a pub
                                                Pub over the road from me opened last week. Went up Friday for pints. No food needed. No time limit. Nobody allowed up to the bar. Table service only. Tables well spaced out and plenty of hand sanitizer around the place. And the porter was fucking gorgeous..

Few aul lads were wrapping up their days drinking as we arrived. Perched up watching the racing. Owners seemed sound too. Was a great evening. 2 Garda came in at one stage, looked around, spoke to owner and left. Didnt give a shite

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                  if only it was a pub
                                                  going back to my office on Weds...thank God

Comment

The WSOP main event is being played on GGPoker due to Covid. It is a $5k buyin with $25m guarantee. They had a $20 sat for it last night with 20 tickets guarantee. $40k overlay in the sat.

Comment

Seeing as it is going to be the biggest online poker tournament in history. Would there be any interest in forming some kind of syndicate to stick someone into it for a sweat? $5k buy so 1% = $50. We could do something fun like for every one percentage a person takes they get a ticket into the draw. Whoever is drawn out plays the event. Maybe do $55 a % so the person playing gets a bigger percentage for themselves. Any interest?

Comment

Genius

Comment

There is an Enrico Morricone tribute on fip right now for anyone who wants to tune in

Comment

Comment

Comment

Thats a class idea, although maybe the person who plays is someone with the time and some sort of skill. As in there is a pool of 'just funders' and a pool of 'funders, potential players'.
                                                                Yeah, it certainly needs some refining in terms of how it would work as you say I am sure loads of people don't have the time. Also maybe $60 a share to give the playing player a large percentage considering it is a bit of commitment on their part.

The great thing is I believe in the GGPoker client you can do staking through the site. So someone puts up they are selling x percentage to the tournament. Everyone can just sign in pay for the % and then it gets transferred straight to each person's account after the tournament so no one needs to be messing around with the money side of things. I'll fire up a thread tomorrow and see what interest there is in doing it.

Comment

Wondering if someone could help me / point me in the right direction.

I've been playing a tiny bit of poker recently and enjoying it, and would like to put a small amount (couple of grand) onto play some mid stake MTTs. Issue is we're intent on applying for a mortgage later in the year and - while this is money I can easily afford to lose - my fiancé is uncomfortable with me depositing the money myself. Does anyone have any suggestions here? Is there something obvious, like set up an esoteric payment type or something else? I looked into friends depositing and transferring to me but this doesn't seem to be an option on stars due to deposit and transfer limits (you need to have played a lot to move money around it seems).
                                                                  Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 06-07-20, 20:31.
                                                                  "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                    Genius

I must be having a stroke because I'm getting a serious smell of toast

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post

I've been playing a tiny bit of poker recently and enjoying it, and would like to put a small amount (couple of grand) onto play some mid stake MTTs. Issue is we're intent on applying for a mortgage later in the year and - while this is money I can easily afford to lose - my fiancé is uncomfortable with me depositing the money myself. Does anyone have any suggestions here? Is there something obvious, like set up an esoteric payment type or something else? I looked into friends depositing and transferring to me but this doesn't seem to be an option on stars due to deposit and transfer limits (you need to have played a lot to move money around it seems).
                                                                      There is plenty of mid-stakes action on GG and no doubt it will be massively ramped up over the next couple of months with all the WSOP events on there. You can deposit with Bitcoin.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

There is plenty of mid-stakes action on GG and no doubt it will be massively ramped up over the next couple of months with all the WSOP events on there. You can deposit with Bitcoin.
                                                                        Thanks, I really like Stars and I was hoping to play there though. But thanks for the suggestion nonetheless (your point about the WSOP sat overlay is mad).
                                                                        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Thanks, I really like Stars and I was hoping to play there though. But thanks for the suggestion nonetheless (your point about the WSOP sat overlay is mad).
                                                                          Fair enough, can't argue with the fact the Stars software is head and shoulders above everything else. I have to say though the GG software is a very close second. It is very very good. They have a large player pool with tournaments running regularly and they have a big Sunday schedule.

I was actually playing a few Sunday tournaments last night which I haven't done in ages and didn't even see the overlay till it was too late. I wasn't even aware they had moved the WSOP online to GG till I seen all the tournaments in the lobby.

Edit - I see the same sat is on again this Sunday but they have cut the guarantee from 20 to 10 tickets. I wonder how this all bodes for them in reaching the $25m guarantee for the main event itself.
                                                                          Last edited by Opr; 06-07-20, 21:13.

Comment

Paysafe card? Can buy them in most shops. Dunno about a few grand, but can definitely use it to deposit a few hundred.

Comment

Countdown to Facebook users and people posting on chrome on cheap android phones boasting about not using the covid tracker app because bill gates/doors is on

Comment

...

Comment

The thing that gets me about stars, and I almost can't get beyond it, is that now and for the last 20 years, whenever you start up that software you need to enter your date of birth like an american idiot before it will let you in. How simple would it be to fix the code so that the date format is based on the country of origin?
                                                                                  Strange. I've never, ever had to do this.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                      Countdown to Facebook users and people posting on chrome on cheap android phones boasting about not using the covid tracker app because bill gates/doors is on
                                                                                      People against an app that track if you have been around the virus as it violates the privacy but happy to post about it on a platform proven to use/sell your personal information for nefarious means or indeed use apps to hook up and get the ride from a randomer 20 feet away.

People are fucking dumb.
                                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Tesla still going. $1400 now. That is just crazy when you consider what kind of valuation that currently puts on the company.

Comment

When I was posting the WSOP syndicate thing the story about the guy who got staking for the ME on the old forum popped into my head. I was trying in vain to remember the poster to find the old thread. He ended up I think doing his nuts on blackjack tables for all the money and had to head home. That was some funny shit at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by KK82 View Post

Paysafe card? Can buy them in most shops. Dunno about a few grand, but can definitely use it to deposit a few hundred.
                                                                                            There's restrictions on how much paysafe credit you can get in most shops (as low as 50 euro in some, and some will insist on cash).

You can buy paysafe credit online buy you'll pay an additional fee and your bank may ask where it's been going. They also ask to see your revolut transactions if you're pondering that.

I've pretty much completely stopped gambling because of it as I can't put cash in through paddy power anymore as that was my only real avenue.

Last bit of pokering I did involved getting sent cash on party and transferring to the sender via PayPal which is convoluted too but realistically it'd need to be some variation of that

Comment

Stuck a thread up to see what interest is like. As an aside is anyone who is actually good at tournaments interested in being the horsey? I just thought it might be more fun to have some rando play it degen style but it will obviously be better for the EV as Hitch points out if someone with a bit of skill stepped up.

https://www.irishpokerboards.com/for...cussion-thread

Comment

Got given underwear today for the first time. Felt like a dobby the house elf moment in my gratitude. It's really hard to find the right facial expressions to convey "I know it's not why we're here, I really do appreciate that, lets get on with the medical stuff, but I still want you to know that it's normally bigger" to the hot nurse staring at your manhood.
                                                                                                I remember getting a cerebral angiogramfor a minor brain bleed in my early 20s.
                                                                                                There's a whole tale there but the nub ( ) of it is my embarrassment getting the femoral line in.
                                                                                                There was two quite attractive student nurses, one struggling to pinch my terrified shriveled acorn of a member between thumb and index finger facing the other, both visibly stifling a laugh.
                                                                                                I was too scared to do anything only cover my face with my hands as purple lightening sparked behind my eyes.
                                                                                                Looking back it was pretty unprofessional but I'll never forget the urge to loudly and pronounce with manly braggadocio that it's normally much bigger and ask if my cock would never come back from wherever it had disappeared to .

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

Strange. I've never, ever had to do this.
                                                                                                  Ordered a Koda the weekend, I remember looking at the site back in April and saying June ? wft...should have bit the bullet, mid September now.

Doing grand on the kamado, but toys and all that !

IMG-20200623-164855.jpg

IMG-20200623-165630.jpg

IMG-20200623-165850.jpg

IMG-20200623-165916.jpg

IMG-20200623-170758.jpg

This too shall pass.

Comment

Just on the Frank Murphy stuff earlier and people not knowing her was a legitimately world class athlete,
                                                                                                    here's something else.

He was a regular in Scruffy Murphy's pub and one of the regulars was a Polish mathematician who figured out that if the lottery went above a certain amount with rollovers there was a guaranteed profit to be made by covering all the combinations because the match 5 and match 4 prizes would cover any risk of a shared Jackpot.

The lads got together in a syndicate, painstakingly pre filled all the necessary slips and bided their time waiting to pounce. When the moment came they paid off a local newsagent who gave them access to his shops machine and they set about entering the prepared tickets.

Lottery got wind of something being fishy and managed to shut down the terminal when they had most but not all combinations covered. Worked out in the end and the was one hell of a party in a house on Morehampton Road.

​​​​​​Jammy bugger asked me to chop a €50 game 3 days later!!!

​​​I agreed, he was that nice a guy.

Comment

Cos its great.
                                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                        Anyone got any recommendations for West Cork area for medium-sized kids (13\11\9). Skibbereen\Baltimore area.
                                                                                                        Already booked one of these lads.
                                                                                                        There's a sea water lake/lagoon just beyond Skibereen which has bosphorous content in the water meaning that at night when you disturb the surface with your paddle it creates a dim green glow that lights up.

Not sure if youngsters would love it or be bored stiff but it sure did make me feel at one with nature gliding along in a canoe watching owls fly overhead against a crystal clear view of the milky way.

Guy who does the tour also did sea tours along the coastal network of caves before veering out and circling an island colonised by seals.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                                          When I was posting the WSOP syndicate thing the story about the guy who got staking for the ME on the old forum popped into my head. I was trying in vain to remember the poster to find the old thread. He ended up I think doing his nuts on blackjack tables for all the money and had to head home. That was some funny shit at the time.
                                                                                                          He's big
                                                                                                          He's Al
                                                                                                          He's still going

Have to say i would still know majority of players on the Irish scene be they top or bottom but all are a bit of craic for a pint

Comment

PS - i would put myself forward as a player for a syndicate for an IPB WSoP as a good candidate except...

except i know in my heart of heart who the best tournament player is here over the last 2 years by a country mile.

By mile i mean 10 miles.

Comment

Kind of in the same boat Lloyd but I have deposited on stars via Revlout, and as it is not a bank yet, it is not viewable by your lending banks, I am not sure about N26 as this is a bank regulated in Germany if they would have access to it!

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Ordered a Koda the weekend, I remember looking at the site back in April and saying June ? wft...should have bit the bullet, mid September now.

Doing grand on the kamado, but toys and all that !

Nice work. Once you get the Ooni you'll wonder how you ever cooked pizzas on the grill. I'm a Neapolitan devotee now so those pizza look overloaded to me!

IMG_20200523_202246.jpg

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post

There's a sea water lake/lagoon just beyond Skibereen which has bosphorous content in the water meaning that at night when you disturb the surface with your paddle it creates a dim green glow that lights up.

Not sure if youngsters would love it or be bored stiff but it sure did make me feel at one with nature gliding along in a canoe watching owls fly overhead against a crystal clear view of the milky way.

Guy who does the tour also did sea tours along the coastal network of caves before veering out and circling an island colonised by seals.
                                                                                                                        yeah, I found the place that does those tours - sounds great but unfortunately you have to be 16+ which rules out my Three Little Pigs. Lough Hyne.

Maybe I could just go and leave them to trash the holiday rental.

Comment

The responses to this really don't sound like the West of Ireland has its act together at all. If you want a family to plan a 7-day holiday in your area they need to be able to map out approximately 5 things minimum that would be some focal point of the day of interest to kids. Maybe 8 activities if you want them to commit to a two-week activity. Its the first thing anyone with kids does is look up 'what will the kids be able to do that will shut them up'. Doesn't have to be big things, but it has to be something.

Took the kids to Glengarrif. Nice park walk , close to mountains eg Healy Pass etc . Was great . Get them into walking , knacker them out . You can instil enthusiasm into them by gushing over their new morning vistas . Even got a spontaneous 'boootiful' from the 3 year old when he woke and his head out the window.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X