Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope this trend isn’t replicated here, please stay in your paved over hellholes nobody wants you in the country. Thks

Comment

Hitch its a pretty poor take to dismiss someone's experience of racism. Do you have any idea of what sort of abusive messages she receives on a daily basis? Either a) You have no idea in which case you are just being willfully ignorant - to the point of facilitating racisism or b) something worse.

It's very easy to just dismiss things with terms like "woke" and "right-on", but what do those terms actually mean? What do you mean you use them?

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
        Hitch its a pretty poor take to dismiss someone's experience of racism. Do you have any idea of what sort of abusive messages she receives on a daily basis? Either a) You have no idea in which case you are just being willfully ignorant - to the point of facilitating racisism or b) something worse.

It's very easy to just dismiss things with terms like "woke" and "right-on", but what do those terms actually mean? What do you mean you use them?
        he means 'wanker'
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

It does seem that anyone who claims racism is auto believed these days, and they have no shortage of people calling anyone who dares to question it racist too.

There is always a place for healthy skepticism and simply believing someone because they say it and it’s faux pas to question is a bad path to go down.

Not commenting on Hazel Chu or anything in particular but the themes of “when someone says they have experienced racism just believe them” is nonsense and I’m seeing it a bit on social media.

I think most people when explained as to why something was racist(or sexist) will understand even if they didn’t before and that should be the goal. (HJs comments on the PPE sexism thing changed my dumb thinking).

but the current method of just wedging it in there and using the awkwardness, and so most proples reluctance to question, as a shield is BS.
              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                Markets seem to be very very very slowly agreeing that Biden is fav. Best odds for Biden 8/11, for Trump 13/8. I'd imagine there's a lot of residue doubt due to how 2016 turned out.
                You'd wonder if CNN and NYT execs would be funking for 4 more years of Trump. There'll be less media frenzys and eyeballs with Joe in charge.

The Nascar noose story was a good illustration of how narrative trump's facts. Even after FBI conferred it as a non story, CNN couldn't give up on the narrative.

Comment

I had never heard of Hazel Chu before and just checked out her Twitter. I concluded that Twitter of any kind in insufferable. I don't know why people would subject themselves to Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                    It does seem that anyone who claims racism is auto believed these days, and they have no shortage of people calling anyone who dares to question it racist too.

There is always a place for healthy skepticism and simply believing someone because they say it and it’s faux pas to question is a bad path to go down.

Not commenting on Hazel Chu or anything in particular but the themes of “when someone says they have experienced racism just believe them” is nonsense and I’m seeing it a bit on social media.

I think most people when explained as to why something was racist(or sexist) will understand even if they didn’t before and that should be the goal. (HJs comments on the PPE sexism thing changed my dumb thinking).

but the current method of just wedging it in there and using the awkwardness, and so most proples reluctance to question, as a shield is BS.
                    That’s the general rule these days on all manner of issues, trial by media. Either for us or against us, no room for conscientious nuance to it all.

Kids dressing up as Paul McGrath during WC94 would be “blackface shame” now, whereas there was clearly no racial intent involved but it’s revisionism now to state otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

An example is lads who post things like #ibelieveher on twitter whilst being a regular abuser of women, that’s just trying to virtue signal how woke you are, whilst actually being exactly what it doesn’t stand for. I think most distaste from the so called woke culture comes from from an embedded hypocrisy from those talking about it.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

An example is lads who post things like #ibelieveher on twitter whilst being a regular abuser of women, that’s just trying to virtue signal how woke you are, whilst actually being exactly what it doesn’t stand for. I think most distaste from the so called woke culture comes from from an embedded hypocrisy from those talking about it.
                          Did you lose a prop bet about maximising buzz words per post?

Try squeezing "leafy" in there too next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                            Was working in the office today because yesterday evening my boss sent me an email asking could I come to work to discuss my working from home - so i was like wtf is up? It was such a silly reason though. I had posted some pictures at the beach from a few weekends ago when i visited my gf, but I had posted them during work hours, so some people had said it to my boss from my friends list on facebook or sth. He wanted to see if I had been at the beach during work or not, just to see if what they said is right. Or even if I had been working other hours so that being at the beach was ok, being quite reasonable and of course understood when i said I wasn't and could see I was quite pissed off haha.
                            that's unbelievable.
                            1) someone in your social circle (or whatev) "ratted" to your boss
                            2) your boss called you in
                            3) to see if you were working or changed hours, seems needless
                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Did you lose a prop bet about maximising buzz words per post?

Try squeezing "leafy" in there too next time.
                              You hate leafy dont you. It's old though. The time to protest was when you were 2 years old .

Comment

One Time for it to turn out for it to be CHD or Rigger that is going around disfiguring statues of Luke Kelly as some kind of anti Woke statement and to piss off Solks
                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                  One Time for it to turn out for it to be CHD or Rigger that is going around disfiguring statues of Luke Kelly as some kind of anti Woke statement and to piss off Solks
                                  Luke Kelly is a legend and no-one should be messing with his head

Comment

The huge head one is already vandalism. Destroy it .

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

that's unbelievable.
                                      1) someone in your social circle (or whatev) "ratted" to your boss
                                      2) your boss called you in
                                      3) to see if you were working or changed hours, seems needless
                                      Your boss should't give a fook about anything other than your ability to deliver quality work to agreed deadlines. Managers who use 'presenteeism' as a metric of productivity are living in the dark ages.
                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                        As for you SatNav,
                                        No amount of Botox would freeze the smile on everyone's face when you planted one on a bewildered McCluskeys lips in that same Galway hotel.
                                        I love mick he's like my grandad who I also often gave an oul hug and big kiss ​​​​​​

I'm a very affectionate person
                                        Her sky-ness
                                        © 5starpool

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Your boss should't give a fook about anything other than your ability to deliver quality work to agreed deadlines. Managers who use 'presenteeism' as a metric of productivity are living in the dark ages.
                                            I think that depends the nature of your role. If you role is completely autonomous, as long as you do the agreed hours and work per week, who cares.
                                            If your role requires a lot of interaction. Then you need be available at set times to do that. It may not affect your deadlines, but it could affect others.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

I think that depends the nature of your role. If you role is completely autonomous, as long as you do the agreed hours and work per week, who cares.
                                              If your role requires a lot of interaction. Then you need be available at set times to do that. It may not affect your deadlines, but it could affect others.
                                              I'm generally working to appear in video calls and standups in the morning, general email availability and then random number of hours throughout the day.
                                              e.g I'm giving blood today so hitting city centre for noon then will arse around there for a few hours with the family (feed the ducks etc) and then work later this evening when daughter is hopefully asleep.
                                              Expecting 9-5 at your desk in a WFH lifestyle isn't 100% viable at all times and thankfully my boss understands this.
                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Wonder does Pence use a seatbelt when he's in a car?

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

I guess it will encourage the others to make sure they double-check every article they link to - Starmer obviously true to his word of stamping out ant-semitism.
                                                        It does seem a bit of an over-reaction in this case. Hopefully it's not intended to be the start of a purge of Corbynistas, and RLB will be back in the shadow cabinet at some stage.

Comment

But, was it not true? Do Israeli security forces not give training to some US police in seminars on how to use holds like that?

Comment

Comment

The Israeli's use chokeholds (pics in that twitter thread above), they also train US cops (why?!), but they deny that they train US cops to use chokeholds. I'm just struggling to see how - whether its right or wrong - that it equals anti-semitism.
                                                              seems a bit daft. The article contained a lie\error (take your pick) but I can't see how it's anti-semitic. Anti-Israeli police maybe.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                  I guess it will encourage the others to make sure they double-check every article they link to - Starmer obviously true to his word of stamping out ant-semitism.
                                                                  It does seem a bit of an over-reaction in this case. Hopefully it's not intended to be the start of a purge of Corbynistas, and RLB will be back in the shadow cabinet at some stage.
                                                                  He seems like a reasonable person so can’t see him blowing this up for no reason. Purge it is I would imagine or perhaps he didn’t like a trade union stalwart sitting in education when the teachers union will be blamed for the economic troubles going forward because parents couldn’t go back to work.

Comment

Just to say I don’t think that teachers unions should be blamed for all corona virus and brexit economic impacts just what I kind of see them lining up

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

He seems like a reasonable person so can’t see him blowing this up for no reason. Purge it is I would imagine or perhaps he didn’t like a trade union stalwart sitting in education when the teachers union will be blamed for the economic troubles going forward because parents couldn’t go back to work.
                                                                      tbh, purging the Corbyn whackjobs seems like a great idea - especially when you see the electoral results they 'achieved'

Maybe 'you're sacked because you're shit and voters agree' rather than 'you're sacked for vaguely possible, maybe not really, anti-semitism' would be a more honest message though.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

seems a bit daft. The article contained a lie\error (take your pick) but I can't see how it's anti-semitic. Anti-Israeli police maybe.
                                                                            Ah come on, for years you have been fully aligned to the successful PR campaign that altered reality to paint any criticism of the Israeli state or of the zionist project as a form of antisemitism

Comment

Ah come on, for years you have been fully aligned to the successful PR campaign that altered reality to paint any criticism of the Israeli state or of the zionist project as a form of antisemitism
                                                                              Sorry to disappoint you.

Comment

Teachers would be grand if you just didn't have to listen to them so much. E.g. they eventually agreed to give estimated grades for LC (bravo), but only under the condition that we all acknowledged them as heroes. It seems their current thing is 'if they have to wear a mask then kids should also have to wear a mask'. Even though current evidence (still weak though) is that kids don't really transmit the virus. It's almost like they don't like kids, as the masks thing seems like a spite thing - if I have to do this shitty thing, then so do you. I don't disagree with their dislike of kids, easily the worst example of humanity especially in crowds, but they should have really thought about it before training in the job.
                                                                                I am pretty much disgusted with the primary school our kids go to. No help\support bar a few emails.

It would not have killed them to do a Zoom call for an hour or two a day, God knows the kids badly needed it. Anyone I know in other countries seemed to have routine remote classroom time every day.
                                                                                So yeah, GFY Irish teachers imo.

Funnily enough, the secondary school seemed much more proactive.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

tbh, purging the Corbyn whackjobs seems like a great idea - especially when you see the electoral results they 'achieved'

Maybe 'you're sacked because you're shit and voters agree' rather than 'you're sacked for vaguely possible, maybe not really, anti-semitism' would be a more honest message though.
                                                                                  Ya no doubt but you also need to make sure that you have a reason you can stand behind when the unions come asking why you got rid of their friends.

labour being labour those unions have a ton of power in how the party nominations go.

Comment

Someone wasn't happy after being fired by Kingspan
                                                                                    Very impressive piece of bitter&twisted

Comment

Hmmmmm, tar. Don't know you, or your line of work. But that sounds like kinda passive-aggressive shit to me, like: let's tell on the Cnut and see what shit he gets into. If he finds out it was us, we can say "havin the craic, man". I would be deeply suspicious and would launch a nasty, aggressive, campaign to find the pricks. But maybe that would be a big over-reaction I Dunno. But it's not the kinda thing one does (imho) "for the craic". No. It's not.

Comment

...

Comment

About fucking time

Comment

Let's see if I can get this spell to work properly.

Next year is OUR year.

Comment

Championes

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post
                                                                                                Championes
                                                                                                No 1, piss off
                                                                                                No 2, stop dogging the fuck out of me on my return to play a bit on iPoker

Comment

19starpool has a nice ring to it.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                                                                                    19starpool has a nice ring to it.
                                                                                                    Will offer a begrudging congrats to yourself and all Pool fans. Was gonna say to all who have been waiting since '90 but i suppose you can hardly call any who followed bandwagoners...WP.

Comment

Enjoyed this cover

The drummer I had to Google (so much energyl)
                                                                                                      Allison Miller and big into jazz ..love these people so dedicated and loving their craft

The Joke is also worth a listen.

Comment

Not a bandwagon in site,
                                                                                                        ​​​​​​the word masochist comes to mind though.
                                                                                                        Herefords turn to shine must be close.

Comment

You know when you havent had a proper H2H with you #r old best buddy from Primary/Secondary and you know all his family since you were 4.

Then you fuck off to College but still end up living with your old buddy after he goes off to be a rich plumber in 95 while you are trying to be the man from Normal People and after a few years ye all end up shakled with kids and he ends up in the Prisons after a lifetime watching us all in Coppers.

Then everyone starts dying, especially the last parents that are barely left mentally.

Im struggling with the aul lad like Lao Lao, he's dumped the missus at 73, fml, and back living at my old family home for 1st time sice i lefft in '98 and the kid brother died. 40s are a cunt.
                                                                                                          Last edited by Dice75; 26-06-20, 02:23. Reason: paragraphs

Comment

Some light show I'm getting in Wickla.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I'm generally working to appear in video calls and standups in the morning, general email availability and then random number of hours throughout the day.
                                                                                                              e.g I'm giving blood today so hitting city centre for noon then will arse around there for a few hours with the family (feed the ducks etc) and then work later this evening when daughter is hopefully asleep.
                                                                                                              Expecting 9-5 at your desk in a WFH lifestyle isn't 100% viable at all times and thankfully my boss understands this.
                                                                                                              I didn't say anything about being at your desk 9-5 though. I completely agree that's not viable. People, especially with kids, have other daily tasks. Home schooling, preparing meals, housework, random errands that you would typically do during your work day - like giving blood. I'm struggle to get my own extra in during the day, can only imagine how much harder kids make it.

I was simply pointing out that it's equally not viable to think along the "work whenever as long as get it done" lines. There has to be a balance of focused work, collaborative work and personal time. The split is most likely specific to various roles, or even highly flexible day to day.

I had a 7:00am zoom meeting this morning to facilitate London timezone. In response, I'll be just took a 2 hours and went to the pub for some.

Comment

Seemingly its because of a one-line claim in the quite innocuous article that applying neck pressure like that which killed George Floyd started as a practice with the Israeli secret services, and was trained to US cops. That has been subsequently denied as a specific practice that they train in, but US cops are undeniably sent to Israel for training and Israeli police break just about every human rights rule in their treatment of arabs. That aside, I just don't get how that is anti-semitic, unless we are redefining anti-semitism.
                                                                                                                Police forces have some basic training in various holddowns and chokeholds. IMO they don't get enough training in what are highly useful techniques. They need more of this stuff, not less. That goes for the Gardai too.
                                                                                                                But the neck pressure that killed George Floyd was not any sort of trained choke or holddown. It was an assault that went wrong.

(IDF probably assisted in some training. I'd besurprised if they were anything more than a minority provider. And claiming that the technique used was a chokehold from Israel is a lie.
                                                                                                                Whether or not it's anti-semitic depends entirely on the persons motives for making that lie. If they person made it up specifically to bad mouth Jews/IDF, then course it's anti-semitic. They may have had another reason, or just picked a random place.

The tweet sacking seems heavy handed. But I didn't see the context either.

Comment

You know when you havent had a proper H2H with you #r old best buddy from Primary/Secondary and you know all his family since you were 4.

Then you fuck off to College but still end up living with your old buddy after he goes off to be a rich plumber in 95 while you are trying to be the man from Normal People and after a few years ye all end up shakled with kids and he ends up in the Prisons after a lifetime watching us all in Coppers.

Then everyone starts dying, especially the last parents that are barely left mentally.

Im struggling with the aul lad like Lao Lao, he's dumped the missus at 73, fml, and back living at my old family home for 1st time sice i lefft in '98 and the kid brother died. 40s are a cunt.
                                                                                                                  Give him a kick up the hole.

Found myself having to administer a metaphorical one to my mother this week (refusal for the last 18 months to go see a specialist about something). Ended up treating her like one of the kids and basically forced her to call her GP for a referral. It worked.

Bet she misses the appointment now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                                    I didn't say anything about being at your desk 9-5 though. I completely agree that's not viable. People, especially with kids, have other daily tasks. Home schooling, preparing meals, housework, random errands that you would typically do during your work day - like giving blood. I'm struggle to get my own extra in during the day, can only imagine how much harder kids make it.

I was simply pointing out that it's equally not viable to think along the "work whenever as long as get it done" lines. There has to be a balance of focused work, collaborative work and personal time. The split is most likely specific to various roles, or even highly flexible day to day.

I had a 7:00am zoom meeting this morning to facilitate London timezone. In response, I'll be just took a 2 hours and went to the pub for some.
                                                                                                                    I think I am saw this as something else to everyone else and it wasnt the flexible hours but someone said that Tar was on the beach when he said he was working.

Have been on calls with people who have their laptop in a box in the garden with a cocktail for sunny afternoons - I cant imagine they are getting a tap of work done really.

Doesn't sound like there is much in it really but if you decide the trust is broken Tar I know people who are hiring...
                                                                                                                    Last edited by RichieM; 26-06-20, 08:24.

Comment

My aul lad still has his missus, who we all fucking hate and by all, I mean me, all my siblings, all my nieces & nephews and all my Da's brothers and sisters and all my Da's mates - She is absolute poison and none of us can get our head around it. I've somewhat come to terms with it on the basis that it's company for him but she is a cunt, no other way to sugar coat it.

I rang him Wednesday to let him know I'd drop into him last night after work and I'd arrange dinner for us both and he was in Clontarf. He'd walked from our house to the Malahide Road (10 minute walk tops for most but it's about 25 minutes for him) From here he got a 15 bus to Fairview and then a 130 bus out to Clontarf, no mask or nothing and he was absolutely bollixed after it. This was all to hang out with his missus who had done similar to come from the south side.

When I was in with him last night he started to tell me he was out and about this week but he wasn't sure when. I told him he was down in Clontarf on Wednesday but he wasn't sure, he thinks he might have been down there on Monday which is impossible as I was with him for a few hours on Monday in Beaumont for his check up with a specialist after this stint in hospital in Jan so there's no way he made it to Clontarf and back either side of the appointment and it wasn't Tuesday either as I dropped lunch into him and he was there all day.

40's suck from having to deal with people in their 70's+ but fuck me it's better than 70's+

Comment

My mudder is 80 and is as sharp as ever. It's only physically she is slower. No more wimmins mini marathon for her. Must be hard on folk when the old dears lose their mental capacity though feel real lucky on that score.

Ps fk CNN . I thought it was one place I wouldn't hear about Liverpool .

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                                          40's suck from having to deal with people in their 70's+ but fuck me it's better than 70's+
                                                                                                                          The payoff being you can be an absolute prick in your 70s and no-one will say boo to you

I think if you play it well, old age could be great.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X