X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
      I just watched the documentary Operation Odessa on Netflix. I can pretty much guarantee that everyone here will love it.
      Just watched that, great story. Fully enjoyed it.
      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

Just watched that, great story. Fully enjoyed it.
        Ditto.

3 of them must of been coked out of it the whole time.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post
          Ditto.

3 of them must of been coked out of it the whole time.
          yep.
          Really enjoyed that
          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
            I'd expect a huge step-up by the UK police/courts now. The Bristol incident has already been condemned by the Somerset police, Home Sec Patel, and PM Johnson has referenced it indirectly on twitter.
            It seems a relatively minor thing for Patel to be commenting on, but presumably a decision has been made that the protests stop here. A dispersal order is in effect in Westminster tonight

If I remember correctly from the London riots of 2011 they had people arrested, charged, found guilty by the magistrate and sent to jail within the space of 72 hours.
            I wouldn't be surprised at a similar approach this week.
            Was he referencing that? Wasn't sure if it was that or the eh largely peaceful protest

EZ52W1nWsAE2ImD.png

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

The thing about America, as multitudinous as their flaws are, they have ridic levels of democratic controls.
              Electing judges is always the one that seems

And sheriffs.
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Electing judges is always the one that seems

And sheriffs.
                  Electing any of the following is insane:

1. Judges
                  2. Prosecutors
                  3. Attorneys General
                  4. Sheriffs

The perverse incentives created by doing so are just mind-boggling.
                  You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                  World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

1. Judges
                    2. Prosecutors
                    3. Attorneys General
                    4. Sheriffs

from a guy I converse with online;

Our little white enclave here in Ga. has its own primary this week - 5 x GOP and 1 unopposed Dem.

GOP candidate 1. Obtained pics of unsuccessful suicide by schoolgirl. Passed them to his daughter- who attends same school.

You can see where this is heading, right? Yep, next attempt succesful. He is a cop

GOP candidate 2 "to include calls from the Fordham residence for domestic disputes, investigative findings of ‘terrorizing behavior’ documented by a Colonel at a U.S. Embassy overseas, multiple findings of aggravated sexual assault discovered during a military police investigation, and a punitive reprimand under Article 15 by a Major General in the U.S. Army."

The rest of the runners appear unsullied. They are all running for
                    SPOILER
                    Sheriff
                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Comment

Well everyone, here's the factoid for the day, and something to bear in mind when you are munching on that fat duck in the local Chinese.

It's news to me that you can train ducks to fly where you want them to go.

Comment

Comment

According to the father-in-law those Russian corona death numbers are a vast underestimate. The widespread suspicion is that hospitals per region have death 'quotas' and things like pneumonia are used as reasons above the quota. I suppose it shows how hard it is to hide these things that people are so personally affected by. Such as in the now-unlikely idea that China had a much larger outbreak. Something that seems to have faded away, but without any retractions.
                            hang on, didn't you go off on a rant when I highlighted this before?

Comment

It's mad you think that. Like that the Russian government has that type of control. We seem to have no problem assigning these conspiracy theories to countries we don't know like China and Russia, but not to countries that we have any knowledge of because we know how impractical it would be to hide cases. Most healthcare in Russia, including testing, is private so there's no way to keep the information private, and in any case there is no need to lie. They may very well not have captured all the cases as they're only catching up, but they're running 100k tests a day now. They've shut down everything for a month at the moment, a paid month's holiday for everyone. So clearly they are openly worried about the situation.

One advantage they have is that they've paid off almost all foreign debt and built massive reserves by running budget surpluses, unlike e.g. the US that was running trillion dollar budget deficits when the economy was doing well.

John Le Carre is just a novel. Sometimes we forget that.
                              like this one here.

Well, colour me mad!

Comment

Is pokio the same as pppoker?

Comment

Well according to my Swedish connections the govt fcked it up but sure that's all I have to go on. I'm not ploughing though graphs etc to compare .

Watching the Garth Brooks thing on Netflix . I was never a fan but I enjoy these type of documentaries. Worth a look

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                      Well according to my Swedish connections the govt fcked it up but sure that's all I have to go on. I'm not ploughing though graphs etc to compare .
                                      I'm starting to think that all the lockdowns have done is postpone the number of deaths by a couple of months. Hope I'm wrong, but think we'll catch up with the Swedish numbers in about 6 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I'm starting to think that all the lockdowns have done is postpone the number of deaths by a couple of months. Hope I'm wrong, but think we'll catch up with the Swedish numbers in about 6 weeks.
                                        That's all they were designed to do, or ever capable of doing. The goal was to keep the health service from being overwhelmed and it worked. Good chance that continued softer measures will mean that will remain the case but there will continue to be deaths and cases for a very long time.

Comment

Comment

My point, as written in that post, is that you can't hide these things, as the information will clearly leak, its of far too much public interest. Now, my extrapolation was then that governments wouldn't do this as they would come across worse than if they just reported what was happening, no matter how bad it is. The first bit has happened - the information has leaked, my mistake was in thinking that the Russian gov wouldn't be dumbass enough to still proceed and destroy their reputation. They may not be the evil geniuses they are made out to be.
                                            They might be autocratic murderers who are clearly lying about their covid stats but at least they're still making up a number.

The Brazilians have just erased all covid stats.

Comment

Comment

fuck. And they're still continuing releasing daily numbers, so really its a bet on folks not being able to use calculators. Perhaps a smart bet. Those LatAm guys seem perennially a few tequilas away from declaring an extreme right or leftwing dictatorial state.
                                                Generally a tie between South America and Africa for worst governance.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post

Jaysus, the questions at our family zoom quizzes are generally something like : "how many legs does a dog have?".

We do okay at them, but don't always win.
                                                    Brilliant! I'm still laughing out loud here !

Comment

Just got around to reading our resident bee expert's twitter timeline today after seeing a tweet in the tweet flow. Its all rather great. https://twitter.com/brianmcbees
                                                      Just copped Brian is in Ardclough. Been running through there a lot lately. Such a gorgeous quiet little place.

Ran through it last week at about 9.30pm and felt I had the whole place to myself.
                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

1. Judges
                                                        2. Prosecutors
                                                        3. Attorneys General
                                                        4. Sheriffs

I've been thinking about democracy in general (yes, I've reached the point where these "mad" ideas aren't sounding so mad given what the real world is offering).

Whoever best manipulates the masses wins. This is nothing new in a democratic society. However, the game has changed. Social media, targeted advertising, extreme echo chambers etc might not be new concepts, but in their current form they're unrecognisable to anything that's come before. Mix this with the much more worrying trend of less emphasis being put on proving hypothesis through scientific methods (ie, the idea of backing up a point through logical reasoning seems less prevalent now. Shouting loud, using logical fallacies, discouraging rigorous debate, confidence tricks, and manipulation seems the way to go today) and democracy doesn't look like such a great option.

I watched Avatar for the first time the other day. There's a scene in that where the guy says something like "people in Avatar land are born twice. Once when they're born, then they prove themselves (hunting skills, trustworthiness etc) and they become a fully fledged member of society". We've nothing like that. Everyone is born equal and free and the vote of an idiot/psychopath/racist/easily manipulated person counts the same as any other vote. Maybe everyone should have to tame a dragon before they're allowed vote.
                                                        Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Comment

1. Judges
                                                            2. Prosecutors
                                                            3. Attorneys General
                                                            4. Sheriffs

Clearly the play here is to say "I'm the toughest tough on crime guy ever, even tougher than the other guy. And he's pretty tough! But a total pussy compared to me!"

Followed by a rousing rendition of the Star-spangled Banner and firing off your revolver into the night sky. Possibly with a parade of flaming torches. Which you can then use to burn books.

EZ game.

Comment

Has anyone ever done a mural on a wall at home?

I have pretty much zero artistic talent so would would need to be instructions-based...

Comment

I have pretty much zero artistic talent so would would need to be instructions-based...
                                                                7317054042_24ce72608d_k.jpg

Comment

This moving house thing costs a bleeding fortune and takes up so much unnecessary time. That time is spent making sure the missus doesn't buy ridiculous stuff. I think I've saved about 4k so far by being there to prevent stuff. Still hurting the pocket a lot with Miele washing machine and separate dryer, Samsung wifi fridge with camera inside and tv on the outside I believe, dishwasher is Bosch I think. She was buying a new sofa set for 3k, we only bought one six months ago!!! Stopped that and a new bed for the guest bedroom, we have a two year old one that she was gonna throw out!!! 1.5k saved there but had to agree to a chest of drawers for that room which cost 500.

I managed to buy a few Moroccan rugs off the former owners for 50 each which has saved me money too.
                                                                  'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

The negotiating team have been working hard to deliver a Programme for Government with Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael. We expect that work to conclude soon.

^^^^

Opening line of a GP email sent to members this evening so I'd say we can unclutch the pearls re:Palestine anyway.

Comment

If you can't draw use stencils

Comment

Nice to see academics around the country giving us all a terrible name by shouting from the ivory tower with their open letter that everyone should stay at home and ruin themselves while we sit happily on full pay. Also quite comical that the IT reported it as being signed by '1000 Irish scientists', but if you actually go and look at the signatories they include such luminaries as Postman Peter and probably 500+ more people with no connection to science or medicine. Well played by all.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                          If you can't draw use stencils
                                                                          that's the name of the thing

where does one procure stencils?

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                                                                            This moving house thing costs a bleeding fortune and takes up so much unnecessary time. That time is spent making sure the missus doesn't buy ridiculous stuff. I think I've saved about 4k so far by being there to prevent stuff. Still hurting the pocket a lot with Miele washing machine and separate dryer, Samsung wifi fridge with camera inside and tv on the outside I believe, dishwasher is Bosch I think. She was buying a new sofa set for 3k, we only bought one six months ago!!! Stopped that and a new bed for the guest bedroom, we have a two year old one that she was gonna throw out!!! 1.5k saved there but had to agree to a chest of drawers for that room which cost 500.

I managed to buy a few Moroccan rugs off the former owners for 50 each which has saved me money too.
                                                                            Miele Washing machine will be there longer than you. Great investment. Tv in the fridge not so much, brag/beat I’d say.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

Miele Washing machine will be there longer than you. Great investment. Tv in the fridge not so much, brag/beat I’d say.
                                                                              No brag here, I'm not making any decisions on these items at all. My input is listened to and then dismissed, probably because I want the good brand but the cheaper one without wifi etc. You know like the one that does the washing without wifi, or keeps the food cool or frozen without wifi.
                                                                              Like I can't see any reason you'd want to look in your fridge when you are out shopping, you do a list before you go to the shop. Similarly why would you want to turn on the washing machine when you are out and about? Would you not turn it on as soon as you have enough clothes to wash?
                                                                              Last edited by eagle eye; 08-06-20, 21:42.
                                                                              'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Sounds like a woman who requires new bathrooms all round. 10% off all Gold fittings special this week flown over on a private jet from Europe

SPOILER
                                                                                Edit - before I get beseiged by wannabe customers I don't sell to the filthy unwashed public
                                                                                Last edited by Dice75; 08-06-20, 21:50.

Comment

that's the name of the thing

where does one procure stencils?
                                                                                  Art shops, internet... You might even find companies that do custom ones.

Have a look at decals as well!

Comment

Need a bit of advice on this one. I'm looking at the ridiculous price they are charging for framed prints. Would I be better off buying a large kick ass printer? I know a guy who will frame them pretty cheaply.

Comment

What year was the last time the democrats won the white vote in the Presidential elections.

SPOILER
                                                                                      1964

His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                                                        What year was the last time the democrats won the white vote in the Presidential elections.

SPOILER
                                                                                        1964
                                                                                        Who was the oldest first time up Democrat to be elected President in the last 100 years. Note: Not including Truman who was technically the incumbent having taken office upon the death of Franklin D. Roosevelt.
                                                                                        SPOILER
                                                                                        Jimmy Carter at 52.

Comment

I would be interested in Denny's thoughts on the Trump/Biden betting line

Comment

Interesting stuff, fog.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post
                                                                                              https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fog

Interesting stuff, fog.
                                                                                              How so?
                                                                                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

The Irish made up a disproportionately large percentage of the British Imperial Army
                                                                                                Really?
                                                                                                Relative to population of UK rs Ireland, or something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                  Really?
                                                                                                  Relative to population of UK rs Ireland, or something else.

Relative to population.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                                                                    SPOILER
                                                                                                    1964
                                                                                                    After LBJ passed Civil Rights and Voter Registration Acts. That was the backlash.

He allegedly turned to ones of his aides after that (allegedly because no-one is sure if this is true) and said "we just lost the south for a generation".

Speaking of 1964, people think that politics was more civilised back in the day. Look how the Dems painted their opponent. 'Crooked Hilary' seems fairly mild in comparison.

Comment

Just got around to reading our resident bee expert's twitter timeline today after seeing a tweet in the tweet flow. Its all rather great. https://twitter.com/brianmcbees
                                                                                                      Thanks!

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Just copped Brian is in Ardclough. Been running through there a lot lately. Such a gorgeous quiet little place.

Ran through it last week at about 9.30pm and felt I had the whole place to myself.
                                                                                                      We get out for a walk along the canal with the boys most days. Probably passed each other at some stage!

Comment

Who was the oldest first time up Democrat to be elected President in the last 100 years. Note: Not including Truman who was technically the incumbent having taken office upon the death of Franklin D. Roosevelt.
                                                                                                        SPOILER
                                                                                                        Jimmy Carter at 52.
                                                                                                        SPOILER
                                                                                                        LBJ was 56 in 1964

Unless you want to apply the Truman Exclusion to him too....

Comment

There was a young lady name Gill
                                                                                                          who tried a grenade for a thrill
                                                                                                          They found her vagina in north Carolina
                                                                                                          And bits of her tits in Brazil
                                                                                                          By Hector Jelly ( dont believe everything you read on the internet)

Comment

Speaking of LBJ, here is a classic, possibly untrue, lesson in political tactics:

Lyndon Johnson used to tell a story about a candidate for County Commissioner in East Texas. He's falling far behind, and so he asks his campaign manager what he should do. "Well," his campaign manager advises, "why don't you say your opponent likes to fuck pigs?" The candidate protests, "But he doesn't, does he?" And the campaign manager answers, "No, but let's see the sonofabitch deny it!"

Comment

Best online Florist for delivery? Southside.

Comment

posted an update in the FPL thread as the game is live again. This is for those who might not have it on their radar at this point but still check in here.
                                                                                                                Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

How many of the books are you through Raoul? I've been meaning to start the power broker for ages.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                                    How many of the books are you through Raoul? I've been meaning to start the power broker for ages.
                                                                                                                    I've read them all, twice.

Comment

I've read them all, twice.
                                                                                                                      I heard you the 1st time

Comment

I don't know about the statue-toppling. It seems like modern-day iconoclasm.

These things are part of our shared history, good and bad. Why not have a sign that contextualises things?
                                                                                                                        "This is a statue of Mr X. He was a slave trader - back in the 1800s when this was considered acceptable."
                                                                                                                        Surely people can then make their own minds up - that seems more mature that just simply airbrushing history.

The question that troubles me is where do you stop and who decrees what is acceptable. Some might say that any statues of notables from imperial times should be destroyed. Which would mean a hell of a lot of empty plinths across Europe.
                                                                                                                        The dichotomy here must be this - we as a mature society can be against imperialism, racism, slavery etc but I don't think we can airbrush away that history, either through destruction of public statuary or indeed by rewriting history. We should seek to understand it and place it in the context of the time.

For example - Lenin was a mass murderer but his tomb is still open to the public. Should he be turfed out of his mausoleum in Red Square and chucked in the Moscow river?

Comment

The beheaded oft vandalised Luke Kelly statue needs to go . It's an abomination

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X