This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

It's an AirBnB. The kids have also broken a few other bits and pieces. We might even get the blame for the oven. There's a deckchair in bits. Not even counting the regular broken glasses and plates. I'm just trying to lessen the impression that we were awful guests.
    presumably you paid a deposit? This is what it's for.

Always funk the 'ah sure won't bother looking, I'm sure you broke nothing - here's the deposit back (which for some reason they always ask for in cash, muhahahaha)' parting conversation at the holiday home as we drive away at great speed, tyres burning
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

#notaracist
      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

If people feel they are not being represented in our democracy, they should organise and turn their votes into blocs (either via new political movements or by trading their votes with existing political movements).

As an example, think anti-Castro Cubans or Jews in America. The political leverage they have is unbelievable.

I'm sure emigrants here could organise politically in a similar fashion. The fact that they don't suggests they don't feel a need. Which is equally fine...

Comment

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                If people feel they are not being represented in our democracy, they should organise and turn their votes into blocs (either via new political movements or by trading their votes with existing political movements).

As an example, think anti-Castro Cubans or Jews in America. The political leverage they have is unbelievable.

I'm sure emigrants here could organise politically in a similar fashion. The fact that they don't suggests they don't feel a need. Which is equally fine...
                I think a lack of ethnic districts is in a way a testament to our integration, as each ethic group is absorbed into the larger community their ethnicity becomes less of a voting bloc.
                I fully expect 2nd or 3rd generation immigrants to be represented in government. We've had runners in local elections, though not sure how much success they have had.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

There are three people out of 40 on the Limerick council, two originally from Eastern Europe and one I think from Bangladesh. They are from GP, Labour and FF. I don't think any of them make much noise about specifically immigrant issues though.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

OK so let me get this straight; the problem isn't that people are rascist, the problem that they are not allowed say that they are ... Hmmmm maybe more sleep would help.

I think the point you are trying to make is that if people don't have an outlet to express their prejudice and innate racism they will be more racist
                          That's not how it works. Racism is a category error that many people are prone to making, it is their hatred and fear that is the problem, and them being encouraged to vent an spread their idiocy is the problem not a solution.
                          Well you have your mind made up about what's what so no room for discussion about improving the world.
                          'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

I know I'm probably annoying people at this stage but I cannot get over whats happening in the states.

Just cops casually forcing a weapon into someones hands so they can use the prints later

Comment

Another bug: When I try to quote Deadparrots posts, it just sends me to the tweet he has posted in it. Happening the last 2 days, on different windows 10 laptops.
                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Would be great if the lack of representation is because of a feeling of belonging. Although it's a bit of a dodgy assumption though that non-participation in society is due to satisfaction. I'd say its far more often due to being the overworked class and not having a moment to even think about something more idealistic like political representation.
                                The Irish in America were the 'overworked classes' once and still were the originators of the great Democrat city 'machines'. (let's not mention the endemic corruption that went with such institutions )

So I'm not really buying your argument. I'd say a far more likely reason is that they saw the collapse of one great political experiment in their homelands and now have a mindset that politics is a complete waste of their time.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                  Another bug: When I try to quote Deadparrots posts, it just sends me to the tweet he has posted in it. Happening the last 2 days, on different windows 10 laptops.
                                  yep, I've noticed the same myself.
                                  mainly because I'm posting tweets all the time

Comment

like an earlier one but with sound

Comment

The clips of the random piles of bricks, and a few of cops seemingly unloading bricks from the back of trucks, wft is that all about ?
                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

yep, I've noticed the same myself.
                                        mainly because I'm posting tweets all the time
                                        Just checked and it's any post with an embedded tweet.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                          The clips of the random piles of bricks, and a few of cops seemingly unloading bricks from the back of trucks, wft is that all about ?
                                          I've seen conflicting stories but the jist is cops leaving piles of bricks out for protestors so they can then hammer into them later.

remember that Bill Hicks routine about Shane...pick up the gun?
                                          That, only real life

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

remember that Bill Hicks routine about Shane...pick up the gun?
                                            That, only real life

Comment

ha, thats the one! Its not even the money, more the idea of them walking around the place and going 'the fucking Irish are animals' (not realising that their destructive instincts comes from the kid's Russian half)
                                              Well i doubt they would say that if you actually did the correct thing and told the landlord about the damage? May be singing the totally opposite tune.

Comment

Comment

Comment

As a prominent legal-eagle IPBer just commented on one of my tweets, this is the: "Worst.Take.Ever". These are folk that through political activism collapsed the USSR and rebuilt their own political institutions all within the last few decades. Ireland is 100 years removed from doing the same. I'd say they are far more likely to be politically active than the Irish.
                                                    eh, no

that would have been their grandparents and\or parents, the few of course that were politically active. Most of our emigrants from Eastern Europe were children or not even born at the time.

Comment

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Ah, i just emailed him the pics and said we'll sort out the payment. Seems handier as I suspect a career in research hasn't given me natural skills in DIY.
                                                          Even if you had the know how, you don't want to be buying tools that you're unlikely to use again.

Comment

Comment

Yeah, it wasn't just an overnight thing that happened 30 years ago. The intervening 30 years to now have been part of rebuilding the national institutions, so they've grown up in that environment. Much more so in Ireland, where our stage of rebuilding institutions started 100 years ago.
                                                              OK, so they grew up in an idealistic and nation-building environment which made a deep and lasting impression on their young characters? Is that your premise?

Comment

I'll take a look at the tweet posting weirdness later.

Comment

Ah, i just emailed him the pics and said we'll sort out the payment. Seems handier as I suspect a career in research hasn't given me natural skills in DIY.
                                                                  I had to fix 4x holes in my house like this but a little smaller when I first moved in - a pain to get it finished properly tbh. If you're handy at DIY and have tools then go for it. However if you're not DIY inclined or lacking tools you're 100% wasting your time. Get the landlord or a handyman to fix it and pay up.

Was woken up at 4am one morning in an AirBnB on holidays by the curtain pole smacking the floor beside the bed. No kids climbing on the curtains in this case. We went out for the morning and the host had someone patch it up by lunch time. The poll was moved down a few cm below the damage in the end.

Comment

Will do a proper trip report. Had to get away so currently in middle of Wyoming. Travelled all through south Dakota, saw mount Rushmore etc. Had the entire Badlands national park to myself it seemed. Can't upload photos directly as they exceed the 2mb limit.

Comment

As a prominent legal-eagle IPBer just commented on one of my tweets, this is the: "Worst.Take.Ever". These are folk that through political activism collapsed the USSR and rebuilt their own political institutions all within the last few decades. Ireland is 100 years removed from doing the same. I'd say they are far more likely to be politically active than the Irish.
                                                                      To be clear - my "Worst.Take.Ever" tweet was where you were commenting on how protesters were handing over law-breaking protesters to the police. You did this by posting a video of an attempted robbery where the store owners ran off the looters and flagged down the police and then because the store owners were black, they got arrested. Leaving aside the utterly ridiculous take you were trying to make - please stop making snap posts to generate heat without having watched the video/read beyond the headline/actually spent 15 seconds engaging your brain.

You cannot be as smart as you are and get a pass for this shit. I am now working on the assumption that you are doing this deliberately and not by way of laziness. It's just intentional stupidity to attract attention and surely you're better than that?
                                                                      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Comment

why not?
                                                                          Absolutely could be the case, I'm just asking if you think that it is. You answered my question with a question so I don't know what your opinion is.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                            There are three people out of 40 on the Limerick council, two originally from Eastern Europe and one I think from Bangladesh. They are from GP, Labour and FF. I don't think any of them make much noise about specifically immigrant issues though.
                                                                            The Bangladeshi guy was a taxi driver. Got a lift with him one day, was telling us about his politics etc. I asked where he was from, born in Bangladesh, from Limerick he said.
                                                                            Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

very normal and very cool

Comment

Surely 'Lockdown' must win the next at Newcastle (which I believe is the first 2 y/o race of the entire season)?

Absolute travesty if not.

Comment

you are definitely watching way too many Twitter clips DP

Was just talking to my American colleagues just now and, very unusually, they asked me what we thought of their shenanigans. Normally they are fully aware of being the greatest country evah and thus couldn't give a fuck what we think.

I said we were feeling a new emotion towards America (I stole this from Fintan O'Foole but it's a good line) - pity.

Comment

On a walking/cycling path, 4 kids ahead of me, probably 10 years old. I see them purposely getting in way of cyclists, shouting cheek at passers by etc.

What's optimal way to handle situation? How can I try to improve society in this micro interaction?

​​​​​
                                                                                    ​​​
                                                                                    Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by Jam-Fly View Post
                                                                                      On a walking/cycling path, 4 kids ahead of me, probably 10 years old. I see them purposely getting in way of cyclists, shouting cheek at passers by etc.

What's optimal way to handle situation? How can I try to improve society in this micro interaction?

​​​​​
                                                                                      ​​​
                                                                                      If they are 10 just laugh.

Reminds me , years ago I was cycling on a 1k value bicycle . ( a lot of bike back then ) Brand new and ready to burn some kids in a garden . How much did that cost. Me glowingly About a grand . Kids in unison. SO FOOKIN WHAT. I did laugh. Cheeky bastards

Comment

USA tearing itself apart (interpret as you may) in the next ~6 months. What % chance are we looking at now? It's surely non-negligible at this stage.
                                                                                        Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                                                                          Will do a proper trip report. Had to get away so currently in middle of Wyoming. Travelled all through south Dakota, saw mount Rushmore etc. Had the entire Badlands national park to myself it seemed. Can't upload photos directly as they exceed the 2mb limit.
                                                                                          I was thinking about the American Midwest yesterday because I had to Google where Minnesota was. It's a huge area I know nothing about and have never been to. Can you say anything interesting about the people there?

Comment

USA tearing itself apart (interpret as you may) in the next ~6 months. What % chance are we looking at now? It's surely non-negligible at this stage.
                                                                                            define 'tearing itself apart'

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

I was thinking about the American Midwest yesterday because I had to Google where Minnesota was. It's a huge area I know nothing about and have never been to. Can you say anything interesting about the people there?
                                                                                              Lots of them are descended from Swedes and Norweigans. This has given the area a distinct local character that is very different from the areas of America that we may be more familiar with.

It is also supposed to be boring as fuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                This is a fun and thought provoking read..
                                                                                                anyone reading the long Wait But Why series "The Story of US"? Just onto the final part last night. I think it does a really good job of breaking down why the system (and people) behaves the way it does.
                                                                                                Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

define 'tearing itself apart'
                                                                                                  purposely left it open to interpretation

Let's say, any of the following happening:
                                                                                                  - Presidential elections don't happen
                                                                                                  - Trump assumes absolute power in some way
                                                                                                  - Some sort of declaration of war
                                                                                                  - Army is deployed on US soil and there are tanks in the streets of multiple big cities for 1 week+
                                                                                                  - 1000s+ people fleeing US for fears of safety
                                                                                                  - US dollar loses 50% of its value

I'd like to say "anarchy in the streets of America" but some sources would suggest we're already at that point
                                                                                                  Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

you are definitely watching way too many Twitter clips DP

Was just talking to my American colleagues just now and, very unusually, they asked me what we thought of their shenanigans. Normally they are fully aware of being the greatest country evah and thus couldn't give a fuck what we think.

I said we were feeling a new emotion towards America (I stole this from Fintan O'Foole but it's a good line) - pity.
                                                                                                    quite possibly.
                                                                                                    I'm surprised at the depth of my fury & disgust tbh.
                                                                                                    Maybe the lockdown is finally getting to me.

Comment

...

Comment

purposely left it open to interpretation

Let's say, any of the following happening:
                                                                                                        - Presidential elections don't happen
                                                                                                        I'd say there's a 3-5% chance of this

- Trump assumes absolute power in some way
                                                                                                        Within the next 2 years this is negligible

- Some sort of declaration of war
                                                                                                        At any given time the US must have this at about 15-20%

- Army is deployed on US soil and there are tanks in the streets of multiple big cities for 1 week+
                                                                                                        Supposed to only happen in times of armed insurrection/revolt/rebellion. But... he's already started down this track. Tanks may be a step too far but deployment of military personnel is already happening.

- 1000s+ people fleeing US for fears of safety
                                                                                                        Highly unlikely given the Covid powers restrict international air travel as it is.

- US dollar loses 50% of its value
                                                                                                        Absent OPEC deciding it will finally change the international oil reserve currency to the Euro... no more than 2%

I'd like to say "anarchy in the streets of America" but some sources would suggest we're already at that point
                                                                                                        These are just my own uninformed guesses but its an interesting thought experiment.
                                                                                                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Doesnt that 1807 law say the states have to REQUEST military assistance. It cant be forced centrally against it's own citizens.

However the more military increases the chance some lone wolf takes him out . Hes a dead man walking. This is merica we are talking about. Hope it's not live when I'm eating a fish finger sambo.

Comment

Just finished watching The English game. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Was surprised when I checked it's IMDb rating afterwards and it's only 7.6. I'd have it comfortably in the mid to high 8 range.
                                                                                                            'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Lots of them are descended from Swedes and Norweigans. This has given the area a distinct local character that is very different from the areas of America that we may be more familiar with.

It is also supposed to be boring as fuck.
                                                                                                              Oh yeah?

Speaking of settlers in America, having just finished a book on the Conquistadors I ordered A Land So Strange: The Epic Journey of Cabeza de Vaca. An incredible story briefly recounted in my Conquistadors book of a disastrous expedition to Florida in the 1520s. Four men survived and travelled on foot through America, spending time enslaved by various Native Americans. They ended up with reputations as great healers and attracted a following of 600 natives as they went through the various tribes across the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                                Doesnt that 1807 law say the states have to REQUEST military assistance. It cant be forced centrally against it's own citizens.

However the more military increases the chance some lone wolf takes him out . Hes a dead man walking. This is merica we are talking about. Hope it's not live when I'm eating a fish finger sambo.
                                                                                                                If they can link the riots in different states is it not then federal? I'd guess that's where they're going to go with it.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Only thing I know about them is from some shitty tournament I played in Vegas. There was a club from Minneapolis on tour playing the tourney. Had about 40 runners and I'd say 25 of them were from this club. Some of the friendliest people I've ever met and great fun. Little old lady killed me with a classic line after busting me. Well you're one of the nicest people I've met, real easy to talk to. Says she raking in my chips. Lol. Tbf she probably meant it in a nice way, just makes me laugh thinking about it.

Comment

Why is there no media or politicians condemning that protest in Dublin yesterday? And more planned for this weekend apparently. We are still in a phase of restricted movement and social distancing, none of which was evident at the protest. We're either enforcing it or not. If not, we .may as well open her up and get back to normal.

I 100% agree with the sentiment of the protest. I just disagree with the basic disregard of all restrictions and guidelines.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Only thing I know about them is from some shitty tournament I played in Vegas. There was a club from Minneapolis on tour playing the tourney. Had about 40 runners and I'd say 25 of them were from this club. Some of the friendliest people I've ever met and great fun. Little old lady killed me with a classic line after busting me. Well you're one of the nicest people I've met, real easy to talk to. Says she raking in my chips. Lol. Tbf she probably meant it in a nice way, just makes me laugh thinking about it.
                                                                                                                      decent chance I ran into similar people from Minneapolis in Vegas.

Near the end of the WSOP, I'm walking past one of the bars in the Rio. Couple of Irish players there so start chatting to them. They're drinking with a couple from Minneapolis. I played with the wife in a tournament a few days previous. Didn't really chat with her much aside from the usual pleasantries one would exchange over the course of 8 hours of a live MTT. Talking at the bar, and she says I was the head of her husband from 20 years ago. She snapped a picture of me in the tournament a few days previous and sent it to him. They show me photos of the husband when he was younger and in fairness there is a resemblance.

12 months later, playing a cash game during WSOP and get chatting to a guy sitting beside me. He's also from Minneapolis. We're chatting away for maybe an hour, and he goes "oh, I gotta show you this photo, you're gonna like it". Yup, same photo of me from the year before
                                                                                                                      Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                                        Why is there no media or politicians condemning that protest in Dublin yesterday? And more planned for this weekend apparently. We are still in a phase of restricted movement and social distancing, none of which was evident at the protest. We're either enforcing it or not. If not, we .may as well open her up and get back to normal.

I 100% agree with the sentiment of the protest. I just disagree with the basic disregard of all restrictions and guidelines.
                                                                                                                        I thought there was a lot of social distancing at the protest. People have been inadvertently doing that at demos for years, in an attempt to make the crowd look bigger. I'd imagine a large proportion of the crowd could have been breaking the 5km rule, though I think it would be imprudent of the Gardai to try and enforce that.

Comment

Decent LOL.
                                                                                                                          https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...ment-1.4268753

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X