This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
    Quite a fan of Amazon Prime, some of their content is great - The Man In The High Castle was really enjoyable, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is brilliant and I enjoyed Good Omens too.
    I absolutely hated The Main In the High Castle, heard good things about The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel & Good Omens I'm not liking the look of it.

Was having a scroll through the catalog and it looked decent enough, will probably sign up for the 30 day trial and see what's what.
    "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
      I absolutely hated The Main In the High Castle, heard good things about The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel & Good Omens I'm not liking the look of it.

Was having a scroll through the catalog and it looked decent enough, will probably sign up for the 30 day trial and see what's what.
      If you know someone with a university email addy, you can get it 6 months free and 4 years half price, thread in the other place about it.

The free shipping is costing me a fortune...sorry psv...
      Last edited by oleras; 04-04-20, 19:15.
      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
        Probably a combination of under-reporting deaths and Germans doing what they're told better than your average European nation.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
          Probably a combination of under-reporting deaths and Germans doing what they're told better than your average European nation.
          Were they one of countries who had a rake of ventilators ?
          This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Frossach View Post
            Why is Germany deaths rate so low?
            Because Von Trumpstein didn't get voted into office.

Nobody iz better than uz at da obedienz.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
              Tis. I watched it last week. Required a VPN but it's there.
              What VPN are you using for Netlfix? Netflix blocks any i tried, and i can never access it from anywhere else to get different shows. Would be cool if there's a workaround.

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
              I'm organising a lads night tonight over Zoom. Haven't used it before. What's the deal with the 40min limit, can we just set another one up straight away?

House Party looks the better job but there's no way to use on Windows. Don't fancy using the phone for it.
              We use Bluejeans and Zoom in work. I had a few calls this week, and my contacts wanted to use Starleaf and Uberconference for some of the calls, so there seems to be quite a few options out there that may do the job.

On a similar not, not sure if anyone remembers Jets, or used to frequent it back in the 90s, as many of us Northsiders did.

There's an online reunion tonight at 10pm with the old house DJ Kieran Keogh. Sure to be some cracking tunes to bring back memories!

Comment

Every DCU mystery tour was to Jets.

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
                  Should be in Manchester pigging out before running a marathon.

Pro:
                  1.Don't have to run for nearly 4hours tomorrow
                  2.My ability to walk over the next week won't be hindered
                  3.Haven't had to do a 20 mile training run in a month

Cons:
                  1.I did a 20 mile run that is wasted now
                  2.The sesh after the marathon would have been good and cheap as I would have been pissed after 2 pints
                  3. Missed out on a flat marathon. Also not trying a Spring marathon again. Trying to run at 9am in freezing January is torture
                  Preferred you when you were fat. Was the constantly being asked of you have a fat brother that plays the kick you needed to get fit or a complete change in work lifestyle fwiw thought you were an excellent dealer except of in seat 1 or 9.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                    Every DCU mystery tour was to Jets.
                    Lol the only Jets I remember were the NY Jets.
                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

For the Flushdraw poker types what's a good payout for a 36 runner €20 a head game? Top 4 paid? Breakdown?
                      "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Dave Allen at his best

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                            British Comedy Classics

Jaysis Solsks

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                British Comedy Classics

Jaysis Solsks
                                Huh?

Comment

Mike Pence has such a calming voice, his messages though ?

He has to feel conflicted towing that line.
                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                    Huh?
                                    The channel rather than the talent i would guess.
                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                      All eight topics that explain what we chatted about in BBV over the last three years. There's some errant terms there - and there was three extra nonsense topics I haven't included, but its an impressive technique - took all the 80,000 or so posts and 3,000,000 words and itself made sense of what we talk about in an intuitive way. Assigned topic names in the top row.
                                      Very interesting, maybe take urls out of your search criteria?
                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                        The channel rather than the talent i would guess.
                                        The 1st joke is feckin hilarious. Dave Allen a master storyteller. Was a link forwarded. Even so the brits did do great comedy. Mrs Brown is primetime these days.
                                        They've sunk a tad using our dross.

Comment

Trumps press conferences are deadly tbf. Proper car crash TV.

Better than repeats of Would I Lie To You anyway.

Comment

Good article on the IT looking across a few scenarios of how the rest of the year might play out.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Bosch is pretty good tbh
                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

I always disliked Trump... Don't know where first I heard of him but he always seemed like a bit of a sociopath... if anything his time in office has proven me right, look at anything he has done on TV where he hasn't had final edit approval, SNL, The Roast, it is all just car crash TV

O yeah he wants to bang his daughter so there is that as well!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                      You think those measures which Spain have employed are of greater value than our step wise reaction throughout with a little more freedom?

Within the confines of the current limitations, what else would you implore the Irish government to do?

Does Spain have an average contact count of 2.5 per case? That is quite literally getting into average household size territory. It really can't go that much lower.

Currently Ireland is one of the leading testing nations in the world, doubled ICU capacity to manage what is envisaged to cope with max capacity. Step down facilities, almost 50 testing centres, proportionally far more than most other nations.

The testing limitations both in numbers of tests and time to results are ubiquitous issues throughout the globe. California for example with 8 day wait times.

There one shortcoming has been their failure to limit the spread in nursing homes but outside of that, there is very little to criticise them for.
                                                      I'd agree with all of this apart from the airport situation and our neglecting to quarantine (or at least temperature check & have a discussion with) arrivals into our country. A weakness in an otherwise sterling response to this pandemic.

Comment

Originally posted by TM2204 View Post
                                                        I'd agree with all of this apart from the airport situation and our neglecting to quarantine (or at least temperature check & have a discussion with) arrivals into our country. A weakness in an otherwise sterling response to this pandemic.
                                                        What were they going to do with people showing a high temperature in the airport?

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post
                                                          What were they going to do with people showing a high temperature in the airport?
                                                          Deny entry and/or 14 days quarantine.....hotel life ? ?
                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Edit...fuel....is shoot an answer ? ?
                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

I wonder how much of the €200 odd million order is going to be unusable junk.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post

Going by how much shit the Chinese make week after week I’d say bout 60%
                                                                Doubt the hse had inspectors looking at the dirt they were ordering
                                                                Might need to take on a few very short armed health workers to use it up

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                                                                  I don't know whether it is programming of the need to avoid sounding Xenophobic but the first thing that comes to mind when reading this stuff which I feel I shouldn't say is around the ventilators that are getting sent around the world at the moment and the quality control that probably isn't obvious unless you have very competent people doing long quality control checks. Am I am being an idiot?

Opr

Comment

For the Flushdraw poker types what's a good payout for a 36 runner €20 a head game? Top 4 paid? Breakdown?
                                                                    Hey Danny
                                                                    Something like

1st---350
                                                                    2nd--210
                                                                    3rd--110
                                                                    4th---50

Comment

At the very least they could have given information out at the airport. I came home from Vietnam at the end of February and there was nothing. Contrast that with Taiwans approach:

"But as Hilton Yip wrote on March 16, the government sprang into action as soon as news broke about a mysterious illness in Wuhan. Taiwan, which sits just 100 miles from mainland China, began inspecting travelers coming from the city on Dec. 31, set up a system to track those in self-quarantine, and ramped up production of medical equipment in January. (Taiwan has not yet resumed exports of the supplies, including surgical face masks.)"

Vietnam had their first cases at the end of January, way before Ireland (which was the end of Feb). They dealt with it very proactively, and now their total no is less than 300 with 0 deaths.

There is no doubt that most countries were very slow to react, including Ireland. We got lucky that we didn't end like Italy or Spain, it was sheer chance that they were unlucky enough to get the brunt of it first; they didn't do anything differently to us. Once the government did react though they were decisive and the country as a whole (except for Lazare) seems to have made a big effort to comply with the regulations, which is a lot better than in many countries.

Comment

Pulled two of my old BMX bikes out of the shed today - a Redline RL 240 Freestyle and a Specialized Fuse.

Gonna do 'em up.

Then i finally got around to transferring some live techno jams i did 20 years ago from Zip Disk (100mb) to Soundcloud. Have more to excavate.

Comment

Assuming no rake and a social rather than competitive reason for playing I'd pay 6, 15% of field is now standard online.

1st €260. 2nd €175. 3rd €115.
                                                                          4th €80. 5th €55. 6th €35.

Four prizes might look like:
                                                                          1st €385. 2nd €190. 3rd €95. 4th €50.

Make sure the bottom prize scores a small profit as in live games it leaves room for players agreeing to give the bubble his entry back.

Try to keep the jumps proportional eg: 2x previous prize.

Reduce the suggestions proportionally if there is a registration fee.
                                                                          Last edited by DeeBrown; 05-04-20, 00:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                            At the very least they could have given information out at the airport. I came home from Vietnam at the end of February and there was nothing. Contrast that with Taiwans approach:

"But as Hilton Yip wrote on March 16, the government sprang into action as soon as news broke about a mysterious illness in Wuhan. Taiwan, which sits just 100 miles from mainland China, began inspecting travelers coming from the city on Dec. 31, set up a system to track those in self-quarantine, and ramped up production of medical equipment in January. (Taiwan has not yet resumed exports of the supplies, including surgical face masks.)"

Vietnam had their first cases at the end of January, way before Ireland (which was the end of Feb). They dealt with it very proactively, and now their total no is less than 300 with 0 deaths.

There is no doubt that most countries were very slow to react, including Ireland. We got lucky that we didn't end like Italy or Spain, it was sheer chance that they were unlucky enough to get the brunt of it first; they didn't do anything differently to us. Once the government did react though they were decisive and the country as a whole (except for Lazare) seems to have made a big effort to comply with the regulations, which is a lot better than in many countries.
                                                                            It's not their first rodeo. That's the reason for the big difference between east and west. They went through sars. If this hit us again we'd deal with it better.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                              It's not their first rodeo. That's the reason for the big difference between east and west. They went through sars. If this hit us again we'd deal with it better.
                                                                              You mean like we wouldn't dismantle groups involved in research and actively able to help when the virus hits because from a business point of view they are doing nothing that presently benefits the economy? Morons are now aware that this is an ever-present threat that needs continuous investment and monitoring? Smart people have been advocating this for years without the need for a national disaster to understand this issue. I have never been so sick of someone's posts on this thread as I am of yours at this stage.

I actually quite enjoy your posts out of all this Trump idiocy.

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                I don't know whether it is programming of the need to avoid sounding Xenophobic but the first thing that comes to mind when reading this stuff which I feel I shouldn't say is around the ventilators that are getting sent around the world at the moment and the quality control that probably isn't obvious unless you have very competent people doing long quality control checks. Am I am being an idiot?

Opr

The vast majority of my customers import goods from China.

The overwhelming majority have, at the very least, an agent in China to do QA on all goods before they depart.

The big players don't have agents, they have a full time paid employee who is responsible for QA, somebody who goes to the factories on a regular basis, knows the suppliers, makes sure quality is of the right level, etc.

We've seen quite a few horror stories over the years, where a company does fuck all research but buys based on cheap price. Samples look great but when the full 40' container arrives at their back door, it is full of absolute crap. It's not just small companies that have got caught out. Some big medical/pharma guys have got stung badly.

Comment

He has to have some kind of commercial interest right?

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                    The vast majority of my customers import goods from China.

The overwhelming majority have, at the very least, an agent in China to do QA on all goods before they depart.

The big players don't have agents, they have a full time paid employee who is responsible for QA, somebody who goes to the factories on a regular basis, knows the suppliers, makes sure quality is of the right level, etc.

We've seen quite a few horror stories over the years, where a company does fuck all research but buys based on the cheap price. Samples look great but when the full 40' container arrives at their back door, it is full of absolute crap. It's not just small companies that have got caught out. Some big medical/pharma guys have got stung badly.
                                                                                    I have never even thought about it as an issue in regards to quality control before but when the PPE equipment started surfacing as substandard it just rang a few bells. I find it incredible that China considering everything they know about the virus are sending out masks to the world as life-saving tools with shoddy quality.

People shouldn't have to be doing research when buying this stuff especially ventilators.

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                      If you know someone with a university email addy, you can get it 6 months free and 4 years half price, thread in the other place about it.

The free shipping is costing me a fortune...sorry psv...
                                                                                      Cheers for this Just signed up with my old Uni email and it worked

Comment

It actually reminds of an old boss of mine.

In addition to owning a shipping company, he had a very large property portfolio, I'm talking around 100 million in the height of the boom.

This guy was an absolute cunt but he was also a genius, he just knew when things were going to take off and when things were going to go south, it was just something he was born with. He sold off the overwhelming majority of his property in 2007.

I'll never forget being on a business trip with him in late 2006. The weekend before, two mates of mine (two brothers) had dragged me to a property show in the Shelbourne which was all based around investing in apartments in Bulgaria. Prices were dirt cheap and ROI levels looked fantastic.

Between the three of us, we could have afforded it so I mentioned this to my boss and he was so serious in his response;

'Never, ever, ever, invest in a property that you cannot get into your car and drive to it within 2 hours - Anything outside of that and you have no control over it'

While it was pretty much still pie in the sky for me and the lads, I immediately backed out of it, which kinda forced the lads to do the same. When I think back now, we would have lost our bollox on that shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                          'Never, ever, ever, invest in a property that you cannot get into your car and drive to it within 2 hours - Anything outside of that and you have no control over it'
                                                                                          That's some pretty good advice there...

Comment

Where they keeping it a secret? Did we only recently find out about Sars?

Comment

Have you ever known humans to prepare for tail risk well? I'm actually genuinely surprised that you're surprised that we weren't as proactive as countries who've just been through a recent pandemic. SARS was hardly the top of Harris's briefing list when he took over health.

How much effort did you have to spend on getting people around you to take this seriously? Do you think that's the case in HK where SARS had a 17% fatality rate? Or do you think people internalised the lessons from last time? Do you think Ireland response to a pandemic in the future would be different? Why do you think east and west have been so different in response?

The expert opinion was this was localised, that asymptomatic carriers were unlikely spreaders, and that we'd be fine.

Comment

This is Sars, the sequel.

Comment

Have you ever known humans to prepare for tail risk well? I'm actually genuinely surprised that you're surprised that we weren't as proactive as countries who've just been through a recent pandemic.
                                                                                                  Really? You're just going to redefine words in a Trumpian fashion when it suits you?

The last pandemic I remember was HIV/AIDS, and it was a piece of piss compared with this.

Comment

And yeah, I disagree with the WHO on calling H1N1 a pandemic.

Comment

New Louis CK. Interesting timing https://louisck.com/products/sincerely-louis-ck

SPOILER
                                                                                                      Hi.

I feel like there are two kinds of people in this world. One kind needs to laugh when things get shitty. In fact, the shittier things get, the more serious, the more dark the more terrifying, the more dangerous and dire anything is, the more important it is to laugh in The midst of it and often directly in its face.
                                                                                                      These people believe it’s no coincidence that human beings have survived despite our fragile hairless bodies, through the most difficult of times And that we are the only species, besides ladybugs, Who laugh at life.

The other kind of people feel that it’s important to put aside laughter in times of difficulty and give serious And painful things the respect and the silence due to them. And to bow their heads to the tragic and to show kindness to people who are afraid and hurting by not making light of their fears or pain.

I don’t think that either one of these kinds of people is right over the other. I can only say that I belong to the first group.

I Love and respect many members of the latter group And I can’t stand many members Of my own.

Anyway, for those who need to laugh, I hope my new show will help.
                                                                                                      For those of you that can’t laugh right now I just wish you all the peace you can grab in this shitty shitty time.

Sincerely,

Louis CK

PS it’s not free or anything. I’m selling it on my website for 7.99

Comment

Time difference and building a rugby facility has me checking in late these days. Couple of things over the course last few days

German numbers are cooked, massive amount of heart disease and secondary conditions being put down as cause of death. Angela is all about stability.

Nancy pelosi came to office and public attention during aids crisis in San Francisco in late 80's, she was on forefront of making it a public health crisis by all accounts. If in charge id expect her to have shit sorted out logistically

I am actually happy trump is in power and not obama because if Obama tried to implement a lock down the red necks would be out shooting. USA civil war would erupt I'd say with their civil rights freedoms impinged on

So many are going to get infected here. I can travel freely wherever I want and I am socially conscious, but you get looks from the waspy people when going into store and putting latex gloves on. There's very little trust in the government here and even less so amongst the white middle class. It's a sense of pride to be walking around going they can't tell me what to do.

I started smoking again, my copd wife encourages it . Will probably regret this

Took advantage of American airlines guarantees and booked trips for about 6 weeks from September on, rolling the dice with these

Mike pence is a horrible person who is willing to give up everything to have those judges in supreme court, despite how he sounds he lacks the conviction to undercut trump and step up and president which is what every good vp is supposed to be according to the missus

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                                                                                          Time difference and building a rugby facility has me checking in late these days. Couple of things over the course last few days

German numbers are cooked, massive amount of heart disease and secondary conditions being put down as cause of death. Angela is all about stability.
                                                                                                          Not particularly directed at you but this opinion is becoming more prevalent so I'm just wondering is there any credible sources reporting on it?

No problem changing my mind on it but the demographics of infection and their preparedness make me think they're handling it well.

I'm just yet to see much that would change my mind on their transparency.

Comment

Looking a trend below, we seem to be turning. Hopefully the German testing support allows us to work through backlog of 10 days and give us an increased real time pulse of where/how many infections we have.

Restriction specific, not much juice left to squeeze it more other than the tougher restrictions Italy/Spain brought in?

Comment

Unless I'm missing something that's a pretty poor graph as it doesn't even control for population size.

If it did, we'd be far closer to the Spanish line than the Asian lines. I think we're doing well but let's not pretend we're doing that well

Here for a fairer reflection: https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/t...PN+NLD+KOR+ESP
                                                                                                              Last edited by Guest; 05-04-20, 08:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                                                Unless I'm missing something that's a pretty poor graph as it doesn't even control for population size.

If it did, we'd be far closer to the Spanish line than the Asian lines. I think we're doing well but let's not pretend we're doing that well

Here for a fairer reflection: https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/t...PN+NLD+KOR+ESP
                                                                                                                I was looking to see if it was logarithmic chart but cant see. Without opening excel, it looks like it does, for us in anyway? But thats just a visual assessment and Im open to correction (and aware of a potential optimism bias!)
                                                                                                                Last edited by Fullof..It; 05-04-20, 08:50.

Comment

Being the cause (wet markets) of both SARS and covid does give you a certain expertise....
                                                                                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                                                                                                    Mike pence is a horrible person who is willing to give up everything to have those judges in supreme court, despite how he sounds he lacks the conviction to undercut trump and step up and president which is what every good vp is supposed to be according to the missus
                                                                                                                    Your missus is from Texas?

Give her this quote from a famous Texan, Vice President 'Cactus Jack' Garner:

"It ain't worth a bucket of warm piss'.

Another one, LBJ, described it as the worst period of his life.

Vice Presidents aren't supposed to do anything. They're just there to round out the ticket. Cheney a recent contrary example.
                                                                                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Today will be a Laurel and Hardy marathon binge.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                                                        Did a zoom session yesterday. Didn't notice any 40 mins limit. Did a two hours session which was good craic.
                                                                                                                        You were right, you get an unlimited session for your first one. 40 min limit after that.

Was really great craic, can see us making it a regular thing post lock down.
                                                                                                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X