X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any white hag discounts floating about?
    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

I'm not saying Obama, Biden or any other politician would have done it better or worse, I just feel no matter what they did it would have been too late.

The only way this would have worked was full lockdown in January, there isn't a person in politics today that would have achieved that, in February and March Biden and Pelosi were still telling Americans to go about there lives.

There is no way that Americans would have accepted a full lockdown and their economy blown to pieces after 1000 cases and 50 deaths.

They had to let it run and let people see what is happening before they could get the lockdowns and funding.

Would you have accepted a lockdown in Ireland in January or February?

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
          Anyone got a coffee bean recommendation? Need to stock up as I am 2/3 of the way through my luckylloydcoffe.com (Cloudpicker) order. I like his coffee but it all seems a fairly light hipster roast and doesn't really provide the required kick in the balls oomph when I make espresso with it.

So requirement is to advise a dark, Italian style roast please.
          Something like this: https://www.roastedbrown.com/shop/don-francisco

Classic Guatemalan with caramel. I'm more into the lightly roasted as I find the dark a little tasteless at time but this is quite nice.

Maybe not dark enough for you but their coffee is always great.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            Loving the new pivot that suggests there is no one in the most successful country in the world that could have managed this better than the human turd. Thst the outcome is unfortunate, world beating as it is, but everyone else would have managed it worse.

There probably is of course but it's all just aftertiming and speculation now.

Comment

Comment

The kid is obsessed with Independance day movie . Anyone got a link to a stream for the resurgence movie.

TyVm

Comment

Originally posted by gorrrr72 View Post
                  I'm not saying Obama, Biden or any other politician would have done it better or worse, I just feel no matter what they did it would have been too late.

The only way this would have worked was full lockdown in January, there isn't a person in politics today that would have achieved that, in February and March Biden and Pelosi were still telling Americans to go about there lives.

There is no way that Americans would have accepted a full lockdown and their economy blown to pieces after 1000 cases and 50 deaths.

They had to let it run and let people see what is happening before they could get the lockdowns and funding.

Would you have accepted a lockdown in Ireland in January or February?
                  Now you're going down the 'what about' route too. None of those people are the President.

Put it this way: there weren't many people saying 'what about Wendell Wilkie?' when Pearl Harbour happened. Or even 'what about Al Gore?' on 9/11.

There is one President. They and they alone are responsible.

Unless you're Trump of course.

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Comment

Now you're going down the 'what about' route too. None of those people are the President.

Put it this way: there weren't many people saying 'what about Wendell Wilkie?' when Pearl Harbour happened. Or even 'what about Al Gore?' on 9/11.

There is one President. They and they alone are responsible.

Unless you're Trump of course.

https://youtu.be/5Cs_1iYWIhI

I don't agree with "the buck stops here" analogy, power is not centralized in DC, there are failures all over the US before, during and even now. Some states are handling things better than others, that's down to individual leadership in those states.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                        The kid is obsessed with Independance day movie . Anyone got a link to a stream for the resurgence movie.

TyVm
                        It's on netflix

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                          It's on netflix
                          Rented it from YouTube for 3.50. Now the 1 million questions begin. Daddy this daddy that.

Couldn't find it on Netflix.

Comment

We (mega bank) use it (zoom) for all meetings now.

Hours after security researchers at Citizen Lab reported that some Zoom calls were routed through China, the video conferencing platform has offered an apology and a partial explanation.

To recap, Zoom has faced a barrage of headlines this week over its security policies and privacy practices, as hundreds of millions forced to work from home during the coronavirus pandemic still need to communicate with each other.
                            Last edited by DeadParrot; 04-04-20, 13:46.
                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Comment

. As soon as you go down the 'what about...' route you're acknowledging that.
                                We can see plain as day, on record, how an alternative person in the position would have reacted. Seems mad to just ignore that information.

Comment

It's on netflix
                                  No it ain't.
                                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

There are so many things we could have done differently.

Telling people coming back from affected countries no need to isolate less they had symptoms.

Nearly berating Nursing Homes decision to restrict visits.

Suggesting to IRFU that Italian game should not go ahead.

Letting 5k Italian tourists whore around Dublin.

Waiting till the last minute to cancel St.Patrick's day, after several towns and cities had already made that decision.

All in the past, and the difference between us now and America, is we move forward and try and fix issues as they come up and even preempt them, not keep blaming an administration thats nearly 4 years ago at this stage. No country stockpiles ventilators just in case.

Solid talking heads that we can trust, we have no other choice really.

The best time to have done anything was January, the next best time is when you actually do it.
                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Very heavy guarda presence in town. Stopping everyone and asking for their reasons for being there. Wouldn't let a guy walk two meters to post a letter.
                                      Last edited by Denny Crane; 04-04-20, 14:33.

Comment

Surely by default some European calls were routed through US then? I'd be far more worried about US misusing the data right now. Although China will be a bigger risk in the future.
                                        Relentless
                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

I don't agree with "the buck stops here" analogy, power is not centralized in DC, there are failures all over the US before, during and even now. Some states are handling things better than others, that's down to individual leadership in those states.
                                          OK, I will bow to your superior knowledge of the US governmental model.

Comment

Did the French hire Hitch to do up their Covid numbers?

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

@Shraaap

Digging deep into the store cupboard for dinner, we are dining Normandy style:

washed down with:

there is one of these as a starter:

and I even have some 14 year old Calvados to wash it all down. Lacking cheese though.
                                              Times are hard indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                No it ain't.
                                                Tis. I watched it last week. Required a VPN but it's there.

Comment

Impressed with Michael Gove at Downing street.
                                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Nope - it was fully pre-timed: widely predicted, including on here - and by comparison with more pro-active countries.
                                                    Why so? Looks like its pretty much over and its got a very low fatality rate. Regular flu outbreaks are vastly more dangerous in terms of fatalities.

Comment

Comment

OK, I will bow to your superior knowledge of the US governmental model.

18 years on and off working with US Military, I don't know a lot but I have a lot of experience in the chain of command. The buck stops here is just a saying, it's bravado, it's not reality, there are many failures on the way to this giant fuck up. That being said, a lot of people on here were unsure of what the best thing to do was. I read a lot of the BBV from when all this started, I did that because there are a lot of smart people on here and I appreciate the discussion and POV's put forward.

I don't remember people calling for lockdowns until it was far too late, even now Ireland are not doing enough. We are not allowed out of our homes here in Spain except to shop once a week and have to go to our nearest supermarket. Only one person is allowed to shop and only one person per car. We can walk our dogs as far as 50 metres from your residence for a maximum of 10 mins.

Shoppers are approached by police, ID's entered into database and fines for people breaking the once a week rule. Fines for people not shopping locally. 600 euro - 2000 euro fines I've seen so far.

Comment

Big mick finished as Ireland manager

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                            We can see plain as day, on record, how an alternative person in the position would have reacted. Seems mad to just ignore that information.
                                                            There is a big difference being outside the presidents office, saying what they would do, this and that, and being in office and having briefings on what could happen and what then deciding what you would actually do. Frankly, the experts are likely to not disagree with Trump greatly as they know they will lose their influence or jobs and somebody worse will replace them, costing even more lives. He's a man-child and that shapes everything around him.

Comment

@Shraaap

washed down with:

and I even have some 14 year old Calvados to wash it all down. Lacking cheese though.
                                                              Times are hard indeed.
                                                              Nice!

That reminds me I've got a lovely recipe of pork tenderloin cooked in apples and cider, then served with a cider and normand cream sauce which I haven't done in a while!

It's 18 degrees and sunny in London so we've fired up the bbq for the first time this year. Scorcher tomorrow also with 20 degrees expected.

Was also reminded I should normally have been in Dublin this weekend for an epic qf match

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                  Thats absolute codswallop and you know it.

What someone says and does when campaigning in opposition is a world away from the meaning importance and significance of what is said by the actual leader in power.
                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

18 years on and off working with US Military, I don't know a lot but I have a lot of experience in the chain of command. The buck stops here is just a saying, it's bravado, it's not reality, there are many failures on the way to this giant fuck up. That being said, a lot of people on here were unsure of what the best thing to do was. I read a lot of the BBV from when all this started, I did that because there are a lot of smart people on here and I appreciate the discussion and POV's put forward.

I don't remember people calling for lockdowns until it was far too late, even now Ireland are not doing enough. We are not allowed out of our homes here in Spain except to shop once a week and have to go to our nearest supermarket. Only one person is allowed to shop and only one person per car. We can walk our dogs as far as 50 metres from your residence for a maximum of 10 mins.

Shoppers are approached by police, ID's entered into database and fines for people breaking the once a week rule. Fines for people not shopping locally. 600 euro - 2000 euro fines I've seen so far.
                                                                    You think those measures which Spain have employed are of greater value than our step wise reaction throughout with a little more freedom?

Within the confines of the current limitations, what else would you implore the Irish government to do?

Does Spain have an average contact count of 2.5 per case? That is quite literally getting into average household size territory. It really can't go that much lower.

Currently Ireland is one of the leading testing nations in the world, doubled ICU capacity to manage what is envisaged to cope with max capacity. Step down facilities, almost 50 testing centres, proportionally far more than most other nations.

The testing limitations both in numbers of tests and time to results are ubiquitous issues throughout the globe. California for example with 8 day wait times.

There one shortcoming has been their failure to limit the spread in nursing homes but outside of that, there is very little to criticise them for.

Comment

Should've been heading into San Francisco for a boat tour of the bay with the family right about now.

Comment

@Shraaap

washed down with:

Times are hard indeed.
                                                                        I'd say those French jars and tins are very popular with blind people.
                                                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

I don't remember people calling for lockdowns until it was far too late,.....

Lloyd was calling for it way before it was trendy. PSV was shouting about Cheltenham and everyone thought he was a loon. He is a loon, but he was right.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                            Was also reminded I should normally have been in Dublin this weekend for an epic qf match
                                                                            Looking at the tickets now.

Game starts in 5 mins, looking forward to it. Can't see anything other than a 85-77 scoreline really.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                              Lloyd was calling for it way before it was trendy. PSV was shouting about Cheltenham and everyone thought he was a loon. He is a loon, but he was right.

Yeah exactly, doing the lockdown around Cheltenham timeframe was too late.

Britain is fucked, US is fucked, Africa is another timebomb, India the same. This is just the beginning, each week is going to bring more and more clarity, anyone not doing full lockdown now is fucked.

Ireland has an advantage being a small Island nation, that being said we will know in the next week or so if the current measures are enough.

FWIW, my 2 sisters are nurses and my dad has been in China since December. Sisters are expecting the ICU depts to be overwhelmed so we'll know soon if Ireland have done enough regarding the increase in capacity.

Dad has been on lockdown for 9 weeks. He has been sick but not tested so don't know if he had it or not.

Comment

Stephen Kenny taking over with immediate effect.

Stephen Kenny replaces Mick McCarthy as Republic of Ireland manager with immediate effect after the Euro play-offs were indefinitely postponed.

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                  Should've been heading into San Francisco for a boat tour of the bay with the family right about now.
                                                                                  Should be in Manchester pigging out before running a marathon.

Pro:
                                                                                  1.Don't have to run for nearly 4hours tomorrow
                                                                                  2.My ability to walk over the next week won't be hindered
                                                                                  3.Haven't had to do a 20 mile training run in a month

Cons:
                                                                                  1.I did a 20 mile run that is wasted now
                                                                                  2.The sesh after the marathon would have been good and cheap as I would have been pissed after 2 pints
                                                                                  3. Missed out on a flat marathon. Also not trying a Spring marathon again. Trying to run at 9am in freezing January is torture
                                                                                  Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Recommendations for similar alien attack movies ? The kid loved resurgence but didn't quite enjoy the slapstick mars attack. I'm watching this myself , so bad its GREAT.

Comment

Recommendations for similar alien attack movies ? The kid loved resurgence but didn't quite enjoy the slapstick mars attack. I'm watching this myself , so bad its GREAT.
                                                                                      V, the original series.
                                                                                      Not sure if age-appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                        V, the original series.
                                                                                        Not sure if age-appropriate.
                                                                                        Was great had the hots for Diana. Hes probably not gonna get it but I may try that myself for nostalgia.

Comment

I'm organising a lads night tonight over Zoom. Haven't used it before. What's the deal with the 40min limit, can we just set another one up straight away?

House Party looks the better job but there's no way to use on Windows. Don't fancy using the phone for it.

Comment

Men in black

Close encounters of the 3rd kind

Contact

Comment

I'm organising a lads night tonight over Zoom. Haven't used it before. What's the deal with the 40min limit, can we just set another one up straight away?

House Party looks the better job but there's no way to use on Windows. Don't fancy using the phone for it.
                                                                                              I think House Party has a chrome extension. No idea how well it works though

Comment

There will be a few disappointed and confused fans and media members when Kenny doesnt have us outplaying teams and going for the right pragmatic approach our squad limits us to.

Comment

Race to witch mountain with the the rock
                                                                                                  Men in Black
                                                                                                  War of the worlds
                                                                                                  Starship troopers.

Varying degrees of age appropriateness there

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
                                                                                                    Should be in Manchester pigging out before running a marathon.

Pro:
                                                                                                    1.Don't have to run for nearly 4hours tomorrow
                                                                                                    2.My ability to walk over the next week won't be hindered
                                                                                                    3.Haven't had to do a 20 mile training run in a month

Cons:
                                                                                                    1.I did a 20 mile run that is wasted now
                                                                                                    2.The sesh after the marathon would have been good and cheap as I would have been pissed after 2 pints
                                                                                                    3. Missed out on a flat marathon. Also not trying a Spring marathon again. Trying to run at 9am in freezing January is torture
                                                                                                    Added to the con side, missed out on eating here. https://www.manchestersmokehouse.co.uk/
                                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Did a zoom session yesterday. Didn't notice any 40 mins limit. Did a two hours session which was good craic.
                                                                                                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
                                                                                                        I think House Party has a chrome extension. No idea how well it works though

Works perfectly for chat, the games aren't available though.

Comment

Surprised I'd never heard about clear prison tech before

Looking through some prison tech - literally. Prison Radios on ebay https://ebay.to/2wcvY6s (Affiliated Link) Prison TV's on ebay https://ebay.to/3bL6sEl (A...

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
                                                                                                            There will be a few disappointed and confused fans and media members when Kenny doesnt have us outplaying teams and going for the right pragmatic approach our squad limits us to.
                                                                                                            Doubt that he didn’t improve us at all
                                                                                                            Afraid to promote too many young ones
                                                                                                            Kenny might do a clean sweep and dump out about 7 or 8 and get the young ones some game time

Comment

Used zoom last night with the lads. Good craic to be fair. All of us ripping into a few Guinness and we had a quizmaster for the laughs. Had 10 of us and pretty clear picture and audio was good. 4 of them are living together even and you could hear them too clearly

Every 40 minutes it does timeout if you don't pay for an account but we had a couple of smokers so that was the smoke and grab a Guinness break.

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                                              Did a zoom session yesterday. Didn't notice any 40 mins limit. Did a two hours session which was good craic.
                                                                                                              Did the guy setting up have an account?
                                                                                                              Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

I think the lesson to drawn from doing potatoes in duck fat is 'make as much as you think they can eat, then double it'.

Animals.

Comment

Why is Germany deaths rate so low?

Comment

Originally posted by Frossach View Post
                                                                                                                    Probably a combination of under-reporting deaths and Germans doing what they're told better than your average European nation.
                                                                                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

Surperior race obvs

Comment

They got the car emissions science guys to do up the stats.
                                                                                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Population are old but the infected are young. Unless following a French route but unlikely.

I don't buy Germany augmenting numbers, they have just handled it better.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X