This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    It's hard to get away from the fact that Milka make some of the best chocolate bars out there. They've just nailed milk chocolate.
    I'm a Cote d'Or man. Always lash a load of them into the suitcase when I'm in Rotterdam.

(unexpected Coronavirus bonus; not having to go on innumerable stupid work trips )
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Lplate View Post
      Be Italia '90 for me. Good idea as well.
      Italia 90 was pretty shite overall. 94 or 82 for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
        Not just steeping though, steeping alone doesn't really work.

Pummel the shit out of it with your fingers, rubbing and pinching in a bowl of water. You're basically grinding the starch off every grain until the water is cloudy white. Rinse and go again until it's clear.

That's the important bit. Once you get your timings and ratios right, the grains will just fall off each other.
        ah heyore... i'd rather use that time to make another course

Comment

Buying a voucher for a hotel site like bluebook in the current climate is a massive risk right?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
            Italia 90 was pretty shite overall. 94 or 82 for me.
            For that Brazil Itsly game alone

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
              Buying a voucher for a hotel site like bluebook in the current climate is a massive risk right?
              Well, it's a lot less risk than buying one for a single site. Also, a lot of those are long-established and owner-operated which greatly enhances their ability to ride this thing out. In the greater scheme of travel-related vouchers in the current climate it's probably less risky than most.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                look for an 80% discount imo

Comment

Do you still have to go to the barracks to declare your car off the road for a spell this weather?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                    Do you still have to go to the barracks to declare your car off the road for a spell this weather?
                    They've removed the Weather excuse unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                      It's hard to get away from the fact that Milka make some of the best chocolate bars out there. They've just nailed milk chocolate.
                      My local centra is suitably set up to hit me for two of their noisette bars as I queue up every time
                      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                        What sort of projects are apartment dwellers getting up to? I rent so I'm not going to be painting or building garden furniture. I'm getting loads done but it'd be nice to add a physical project, something with a bit of utility.
                        I bought a rowing machine. If 50k on the erg a week counts as a project, that's my project. Much to herself's chagrin.
                        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                          I bought a rowing machine. If 50k on the erg a week counts as a project, that's my project. Much to herself's chagrin.
                          are you still doing crossfit? i've been watching the crossfit games in the last few years. Those guys/girls are absolute beasts!

Comment

A sobering read from the cheerful as always Nouriel Roubini

Ten reasons why a ‘Greater Depression’ for the 2020s is inevitable

Comment

They've sorted the parking outside Marlay anyway

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Ah no, Tony Allen passed away.

Comment

Ah no, Tony Allen passed away.
                                  Not the one from Foster and Allen?

Comment

No you don't. You do have do declare it off the road before hand though, not like in the old days when you could aftertime it. https://www.motarviews.ie/ORD/login

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                      No you don't. You do have do declare it off the road before hand though, not like in the old days when you could aftertime it. https://www.motarviews.ie/ORD/login
                                      Should you not be out celebrating?

SPOILER
                                      Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 01-05-20, 11:07.

Comment

Here have some more:

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                          Should you not be out celebrating?

SPOILER
                                          Ha, I thought that was going to be about Anderson Cooper having a baby!

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                            What's deemed a good variable rate nowadays and how long and at how low would people want to lock in to a fixed rate?

I've been meaning to look at my mortgage for ages but have never got around to it.
                                            My bank has come back to me with an offer of 2.9% Fixed. I can choose the term up to 5 years.

Am I missing something here or is that pretty good? (except if you are still on a tracker of course and paying almost nothing)

Comment

My bank has come back to me with an offer of 2.9% Fixed. I can choose the term up to 5 years.

Am I missing something here or is that pretty good? (except if you are still on a tracker of course and paying almost nothing)
                                              I'm not sure how it works negotiating an existing mortgage, but when getting a new one right now the lowest I see is 2.2 fixed for 5 years. Use bonkers.ie to compare. Can you get something similar by switching around?

Comment

I'm on a SVR of 2.75% and I expect that to fall again in the short term. So I wouldn't take that fix tbh.

ZIRP is now going to be here possibly forever (i.e. our entire working lives). 2.9% is actually a huge margin when you think about it that way. In continental Europe, it's more like 1% and I expect our rates to eventually converge to that.

Comment

You also need to think about flexibility. You could be working in China in 24 months time.

Being on a SVR allows you to adjust to change more easily.

Comment

Used to cycle over to a shop beside the Stillorgan Bowler to, ahem, purchase all our replenishments. Also the local motor parts factory for "steelies".
                                                    It was called "Nimble Fingers" ironically enough considering your post!

Comment

I'm on a SVR of 2.75% and I expect that to fall again in the short term. So I wouldn't take that fix tbh.

ZIRP is now going to be here possibly forever (i.e. our entire working lives). 2.9% is actually a huge margin when you think about it that way. In continental Europe, it's more like 1% and I expect our rates to eventually converge to that.
                                                      And it's negative in non-Eurozone countries.

Comment

I'm talking about retail mortgage rates

Comment

AIB are 2.55% fixed for 3 or 5 years. Tell your provider that you're off to them and they may match.

I'm scared to fix with the talk in here.

Comment

I'm talking about retail mortgage rates
                                                            So am I. Denmark has them

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Comment

How is that be possible?

@Lao Lao high 2s is average i’d say. I switched in May. Half is fixed 2.65%, and an offset SVR now @ 2.59%.
                                                              At this point I think sub 2.5 is achievable if your day you’ll walk.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                AIB are 2.55% fixed for 3 or 5 years. Tell your provider that you're off to them and they may match.

I'm scared to fix with the talk in here.
                                                                2.45 fixed for 2 years with Ulster Bank

Comment

Its very frustrating that every country appears to be measuring different covid stats.

It appears reasonably clear that the UK is fudging the figures in a very major way and it seems that the media are in the main happy to play along. When they are pushed on the gap in year on year deaths being more than double reported covid deaths they appear content with the line that 'Ah well those are old and sick people who probably would have died later on in the year, so you have to look at the whole year'

WTaF
                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

So am I. Denmark has them

thanks, I see this

Lao, fancy a twenty year mortgage at 0%?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                      How is that be possible?

@Lao Lao high 2s is average i’d say. I switched in May. Half is fixed 2.65%, and an offset SVR now @ 2.59%.

At this point I think sub 2.5 is achievable if your day you’ll walk.
                                                                      Their Central Bank had negative rates.

It's not a like to like comparison though. They have extra fees for things that Irish Banks do for "free".

Comment

Simple enough to declare off the road with that link Collie sent. If / when you are declaring it back on you just pay the tax for the month you are declaring it so better if you are doing so at the start of the month.

Comment

thanks, I see this

I know little and understand less about these things are purported to work but I fully believe that 'the economy' is an emergent system, as much a living entity as as the humans whose behaviour it represents, just as a beehive is to a bee or an anthill to an ant it is wholly understandable to us.

Having once paid mortgage rates of over 18% I fully expect similar unexpected and unpredictable by us conditions to arise again.

Comment

Their Central Bank had negative rates.

It's not a like to like comparison though. They have extra fees for things that Irish Banks do for "free".
                                                                            Also don't you require a much larger equity in the property c.25% afaik

Comment

very cool and very normal
                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

However much the gun lobbyists in the US get paid, it isn't enough. Triple it.

To normalise that kind^^ of lunacy and make it completely legal requires genius levels of skillz.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                  Its very frustrating that every country appears to be measuring different covid stats.

It appears reasonably clear that the UK is fudging the figures in a very major way and it seems that the media are in the main happy to play along. When they are pushed on the gap in year on year deaths being more than double reported covid deaths they appear content with the line that 'Ah well those are old and sick people who probably would have died later on in the year, so you have to look at the whole year'

WTaF
                                                                                  The UK is a rogue state, with the critical component of societal discourse at an all time low and the media's ability to hold the government to account neutralised. So what did you expect?
                                                                                  "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Used to cycle over to a shop beside the Stillorgan Bowler to, ahem, purchase all our replenishments. Also the local motor parts factory for "steelies".
                                                                                    me da got me a bearing from some fucking thing in colin's barracks.
                                                                                    The "gollier" killed everything. Children ran crying in the wake of it's destruction.
                                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                      The UK is a rogue state, with the critical component of societal discourse at an all time low and the media's ability to hold the government to account neutralised. So what did you expect?
                                                                                      TBH Its a failing of mine, I tend expect a lot better from the UK than it delivers.
                                                                                      They talk a great game but its hard to disagree with that analysis of them right now

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                        TBH Its a failing of mine, I tend expect a lot better from the UK than it delivers.
                                                                                        They talk a great game but its hard to disagree with that analysis of them right now
                                                                                        West Brit

Comment

thanks, I see this

That would be nice!

I've been back and forth with the bank today but they seem to be holding firm

2.9% is the lowest they will go on fixed and variable depends on LTV

3.7% is standard
                                                                                          3.5% based on 80% LTV
                                                                                          3.3% based on 50% LTV

with the valuation done by their valuer. I should just about scrap into the 50% LTV but depends what their valuer puts the house at.

I've sent them a final message saying, OK, I'll have to go elsewhere if you won't budge, so l'll see what they come back with but they seem quite adamant on not budging so far.

Comment

Fresh toilet brush story from today!. Theres a cute new cleaner from Costa Rica around who was around in the past but has re-emerged recently. Theres some awful bastards who dry their hands on paper towel and instead of using the foot pedal bins they simply drop the paper towel on the floor. Recently they are also leaving it on top of the lid of the closed foot pedal bin rather than pick up covid on their shoe by standing on the foot pedal!. I have my suspicions but If I ever catch one of these bastards be jebussss.

And thats only the hand towel, not to mention the state they can sometimes leave the toilet. Overall its a great jacks undiscovered by many.
                                                                                            So I go to the jacks this morning and theres a note written in felt tip marker on the inside lid of the foot pedal bin saying ''Please put paper towel inside bin no on floor no on top of bin''. Well done I said to myself. Then I entered the cubicle and theres another note on the inside of the cubicle door ''Please look out for toilet and use toilet brush''. Has to be her thats written this.

Theres a shit stain seared into the back rim of the toilet just above the waterline. One of these dried in oval ones you just know is tattooed into the shanks and not coming off or at least coming off easily. Anyway after I flush I decide to have have a go at the predecessors stain and grab the brush nimbly covering the handle with toilet paper and make some small inroads but not going to spend too much time on it.

I leave the jacks and shes there making a beeline for the jacks and I bade her good morning pleased with myself I had a go and who knows it might be noticed. She comes into the office later and I bring bring her hand written note up and commend her for it. Shes slightly stunned at first and she says I know im the cleaner but theres some things that isnt possible and this conversation went on for a few minutes including does she ever see the same in the female toilets just to see like!(answer is no thankfully). All the time im holding back not mentioning that she left the 't' out of 'not' just in case it gets misinterpreted as being critical instead of trying to be helpful as they often go to English classes after work.
                                                                                            Last edited by rounders123; 01-05-20, 15:42.

Comment

Leo going live at 6.30 apparently according to a few heads on Twitter. Just giving a speech and not taking any questions. Not good news imo.

Comment

That would be nice!

I've been back and forth with the bank today but they seem to be holding firm

2.9% is the lowest they will go on fixed and variable depends on LTV

3.7% is standard
                                                                                                3.5% based on 80% LTV
                                                                                                3.3% based on 50% LTV

with the valuation done by their valuer. I should just about scrap into the 50% LTV but depends what their valuer puts the house at.

I've sent them a final message saying, OK, I'll have to go elsewhere if you won't budge, so l'll see what they come back with but they seem quite adamant on not budging so far.
                                                                                                Don't you have mortgage comparison sites in Ireland? Going to have to move my mortgage shortly and lowest i've found so far in the UK is 1.09%

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                  Leo going live at 6.30 apparently according to a few heads on Twitter. Just giving a speech and not taking any questions. Not good news imo.
                                                                                                  RTE politics correspondent saying 70s to be allowed out again and travel extended up to 5km. Seems a bit of a pointless increase unless one can drive.

Comment

The belts arrived today from Slavomir in Slovakia. Was a bit worried that I might forget how to put it back together after 2 weeks, but it went fine.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                      RTE politics correspondent saying 70s to be allowed out again and travel extended up to 5km. Seems a bit of a pointless increase unless one can drive.
                                                                                                      Yeah 5k isnt going to make a whole pile of difference whether you drive or not. It's a very manageable distance to walk. I've my fingers crossed for construction sites to reopen and I'll get back to work.

Comment

Everyone seems to be missing the fact that the 2km limit is only in relation to exercise - otherwise you can't just move around as you like unless its an essential journey, 2km or not.

So the only people who changing the 2km to 5km helps are the Lazares of this world. GFYL.

Comment

Only rounders could try chatting up a hot latina over the topic of shit stains.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                                                            Everyone seems to be missing the fact that the 2km limit is only in relation to exercise - otherwise you can't just move around as you like unless its an essential journey, 2km or not.

So the only people who changing the 2km to 5km helps are the Lazares of this world. GFYL.
                                                                                                            People took their own take on last measures. Plenty of social media post saying I did x,y and z today , at a social distance of course. Maybe the guards and the government can align on this set of measures. A lot more than excercise and going to supermarket going on
                                                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post

Was just gonna come on and say how massive a difference it would be for me.
                                                                                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                                People took their own take on last measures. Plenty of social media post saying I did x,y and z today , at a social distance of course. Maybe the guards and the government can align on this set of measures. A lot more than excercise and going to supermarket going on
                                                                                                                The amount of traffic on the road today was similar to normal Friday afternoon levels, down here anyway.
                                                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Craft beer delivered and the dish of the week for dinner

Comment

How did you cook your rice?
                                                                                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                                      How did you cook your rice?
                                                                                                                      In a kettle like a normal person

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                                        In a kettle like a normal person
                                                                                                                        You laugh , I was aware of a guy in college who tossed his boil in the bag rice in the kettle and boiled it a few times. Not sure did it work or was it a regular thing, but he did it
                                                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

I'm not sure our mortgage rates will ever converge with Europe given the ongoing high funding costs of the banks here, lack of competition and the complete inability to repossess delinquent borrowers' property.

Inflation seems unlikely now but it's hard to see it staying that way with bazookas being blasted off everywhere.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X