This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bizarre convo in the shop there.

I asked how much the lotto was per line with no plus.

'You can't buy one line, it's a minimum of two'

'Oh that's fine, I just want to know how much it is per line'

'But you can't buy one line'

'I want to buy multiple lines, but I want to know how much each one costs'

'You have to spend a minimum of €4 and that is two lines'

FmL gimme ten lines you gowl.
    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Fuck me, that was a spectacular opening episode!!! Experimented with the languages - the dubbing is ferocious. Korean and English subtitles worked vastly better.
      Yeah never ever watch the dub. It's always terribad.
      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
        Bizarre convo in the shop there.

I asked how much the lotto was per line with no plus.

'You can't buy one line, it's a minimum of two'

'Oh that's fine, I just want to know how much it is per line'

'But you can't buy one line'

'I want to buy multiple lines, but I want to know how much each one costs'

'You have to spend a minimum of €4 and that is two lines'

FmL gimme ten lines you gowl.
        I’ll go in later. Can I have 3 lines , 2 with the plus and 1 without the plus. Can I also have a Monday night ticket and a Eurolotto ticket, one without plus one with plus and is there a raffle on any of these ? and I’ll take these doughnuts and a can of diet coke. Did the cute tall one get pregnant? It’s very frustrating, they hire tall cute ones and then they get pregnant. It’s like someone pissing on my cornflakes. When/Where is that new SuperValue opening up? I expect a few cute tall one’s might apply. It can’t be any more expensive. I heard some young teenager leaving the other day, FFS, you get nothing for a tenner is that shop. She’s right and I told her that. She seemed startled that I was interjecting but realised I was no threat when she saw the struggle I had holding onto the kids hand (he likes to play chicken with cars) YEAH FFS we both agreed on the pricing. Robbing bastards.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

POD is hilarious in the interviews. For a man that is so obsessed with his golf it's like hes just winging it . Love listening to him . Honest stuff .
          He's a mad man. Absolutely fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

The Diderot Effect too.

https://jamesclear.com/diderot-effect
            Oniomania
            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

He's a mad man. Absolutely fantastic.
              Took the week off. Only had one this year so far so felt it was good timing. She's still in work and kids still getting minded. Pure me time.

Played open in Carton Y'day. European Club tomorrow. And then for the day that's in it on Friday morning. Fourball matchplay in the home club where the losers will buy lunch in the boozer where we'll be from 1pm and into the evening. The draw Yankee will be clicking this year..

Going shopping in town today on my own for the first time in two years it feels.

A week off doesn't mean you need to fuck off away. Just do stuff you like. Have slack deleted from the phone and the work mails disabled no stress of chasing after kids. Feels like an actual break.
              ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post

Took the week off. Only had one this year so far so felt it was good timing. She's still in work and kids still getting minded. Pure me time.

Played open in Carton Y'day. European Club tomorrow. And then for the day that's in it on Friday morning. Fourball matchplay in the home club where the losers will buy lunch in the boozer where we'll be from 1pm and into the evening. The draw Yankee will be clicking this year..

Going shopping in town today on my own for the first time in two years it feels.

A week off doesn't mean you need to fuck off away. Just do stuff you like. Have slack deleted from the phone and the work mails disabled no stress of chasing after kids. Feels like an actual break.
                ​​​​
                Sounds like my perfect week.

I’m off to Portrush on Sunday. Play golf then watch the singles. Playing Monday morning too. Love the RC and always organise something around it. It’s much better when it’s in the states.
                His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

​​​​
                  Living the dream. Myself and the daughter are playing a good work mate and his son this afternoon in two ball scramble match-play. Trying to bolster the daughters sledging game.
                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

I'd say that applies to anyone who's ever bought that 300 quid axe Raoul linked before.

Definitely seems to be some sort of quick fizzing endorphin rush whenever you buy something you don't really need.
                    There definitely is and some people seem to live on it, and I see a lot of people have trouble saving due to it. Same thing with micro-transactions in games, little rushes that they get. I don't ever really want things in that sense, having a laugh with a friend is it for me. I finally bought my first thing that wasn't food in 2 years, last week, a pair of football boots and even then i was like, hmm do I even need these (and I'm playing 2-3 times a week). I enjoy learning about and researching something rather than the actual buying and getting of it. In general, contentment comes from inside, nothing else.

Comment

I take it all back. Just picked up the Man U kit, shin guards, a football, personal training with Ronaldo.

Comment

IMG_20210922_130745.jpg Nice surprise today, these two newlyweds popped into work. Grand catch up! ​​​​​​
                        Her sky-ness
                        © 5starpool

Comment

​​​​
                          You have taken Lazare's handle.

GFYST

I myself am trying to move out while renovation work is ongoing, furniture, wifes pile of shite, kids pile of shite x 2 and my tootbrush all while trying to do end of year accounts and field work calls and ferry kids to all manner of new sign up sports and manage an U7s team.

Comment

Time for blood on the greens

Comment

That new role I took in Feb seems to be confirmed as a total career dead end.

Need to work out a way to elegantly reverse out of it, without scraping the paint off my chassis.
                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Need to work out a way to elegantly reverse out of it, without scraping the paint off my chassis.
                                Given your age, gotta accept that you reached the peak of your career and that it is all downhill from here .

Basically stay in the role and turn it into cash cow
                                No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

If you are doing something you enjoy and are paid well does the above matter?
                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

If you are doing something you enjoy and are paid well does the above matter?
                                    One of those conditions applies, one does not.

I'll sort something out, just annoying that was sold to me as a step up has in fact turned out to be at best a step sideways. The vagaries of corporate life.

Comment

finally people have copped on about Ted lasso

https://www.gawker.com/culture/ted-lasso-isnt-funny

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

The last ep with Coach Beard was class.
                                        The joyless cynicism of that article is exactly why Ted Lasso is succesful.
                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

Watched S01 and what struck me about it was that its unashamedly a children's show, I remember being a teenager and there being a sort of a comfort blanket effect of watching some kiddies shows and Ted Lasso definitely feels a bit like that.
                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Whos this mystery guest fella?
                                            Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                              Whos this mystery guest fella?
                                              A less cynical version of PSV.

Comment

I'll sort something out, just annoying that was sold to me as a step up has in fact turned out to be at best a step sideways. The vagaries of corporate life.
                                                They never sell these things as a step sideways do they?

You need to identify some up and coming talent to take your spot and do a shimmy…fuckers never let you switch if it’s going to create a problem for them.

‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

They never sell these things as a step sideways do they?

You need to identify some up and coming talent to take your spot and do a shimmy…fuckers never let you switch if it’s going to create a problem for them.
                                                  think I may have just achieved that (literally in the last 10 minutes)

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

A less cynical version of PSV.
                                                    Surely in the 7 kingdoms such a person doesnt exist.

Comment

think I may have just achieved that (literally in the last 10 minutes)

That’s the hardest bit. Now identify where you want to land and then put the plan in motion!! Good luck.
                                                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

That’s the hardest bit. Now identify where you want to land and then put the plan in motion!! Good luck.
                                                        just realise you are doing to that c*nt what was done to you and realise the motivations and incentives of each

Comment

Finished your Squid Games tonight. Was ludicrous in the best way possible. Talk about OTT.
                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                            I enjoy learning about and researching something rather than the actual buying and getting of it. In general, contentment comes from inside, nothing else.
                                                            This. I have noticed I am in a wanting to buy things phase atm, and it's a combination of that Diderot effect and enjoying researching the things to get. I am slightly hampered by not really wanting anything, so I'm buying things for other people. Having bought an Amazon Echo Dot to listen to Audible a few weeks ago I am now a big fan of these devices, as I'm listening to lots of music now whereas before Spotify wasn't worth listening to on my phone or tinny Chromebook.

So I decided a relative needed her Internet radio in her kitchen replaced with a Google Nest Audio which I picked up yesterday, and her bedroom clock and stereo needed to be replaced with an Echo Show 5 which arrived today. I decided an elderly aunt needed 3 new home phones which I got, and that she needed Netflix which she has been happily watching for a week. The strangest being on Sunday when a friend who is heading off on a retreat soon where you can't use your phone as an alarm asked if I had a travel alarm clock to lend him and I told him I would buy him a good LED one.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                              Finished your Squid Games tonight. Was ludicrous in the best way possible. Talk about OTT.
                                                              Very much agree .

SPOILER
                                                              episode 6 though . That was a fucking brutal episode. Absolutely heartbreaking.
                                                              ​​​​
                                                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                                                Has been through the legal system before
                                                                when one of my neighbours sued him
                                                                for an investment that went south
                                                                so maybe wait and see if he's guilty.
                                                                By all means, let the man have his due process. But the above past history really doesn't help his credibility.
                                                                An investment goign south is zero grounds to sue somebody. Investments go south all the time. So presumably there was some sort of shenanigans involved.

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                If you apply that to sleep it's TRUE. Sometimes I'd kill for just 1 day to myself when I can just sleep, when the opportunity presents itself I lie there , go wtf and get up and do something. That usually involves sleep deprivation by the time I'm finished with the day.
                                                                I'm sure there's a name for that, I don't know what it is, but it's not really the hedonic treadmill. The hedonic treadmill means you actually get the thing you wanted not just the opportunity, and the satisfaction wears off. So the goal posts move.

It would be like wanted a min of 8 hours a night, and after a few months, deciding that 10 is what you need. and so on craving ore and more sleep. Not sure anyone could do that with sleep.

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                So I decided a relative needed her Internet radio in her kitchen replaced with a Google Nest Audio which I picked up yesterday, and her bedroom clock and stereo needed to be replaced with an Echo Show 5 which arrived today. I decided an elderly aunt needed 3 new home phones which I got, and that she needed Netflix which she has been happily watching for a week.
                                                                That sounds really nice. To be in a phase where what you want, is to improve life for others.
                                                                But I am curious whey you got the aunt the Nest in one room, and the Echo in another? I haven't really research the echo (was given a Nest), but would assume there's a benefit to going with devices that work together?

Comment

Originally posted by paul8200 View Post

just realise you are doing to that c*nt what was done to you and realise the motivations and incentives of each
                                                                  No malice involved, pure accidents.

People like to think of corporations as being efficient machines, the truth though is that most meaningful work gets done despite the system, not because of it.

Comment

Originally posted by paul8200 View Post

A sideways move for Raoul, could well be a step up the ladder for the other block. It's all relative to current position.

Comment

Hotspur has triggered me - We broke our old internet radio, is the Google Nest Audio a decent replacement?

Comment

Hotspur has triggered me - We broke our old internet radio, is the Google Nest Audio a decent replacement?
                                                                        Just make sure you don't get a DAB radio. They turned off the signal in Ireland on March 31st this year. Bizarre that retailers are still selling them.
                                                                        Person...Woman...Man......Camera..TV

Comment

I'd imagine you are completely on top of this, so this is superfluous advice, but I'd also be looking upwards and see who tried to kill your trajectory after the big data project win, and what you can do to, in turn, scupper them. They've shown fear!
                                                                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                            Finished three episodes and its ridiculous at the highest level. Great stuff.

Comment

I'd imagine you are completely on top of this, so this is superfluous advice, but I'd also be looking upwards and see who tried to kill your trajectory after the big data project win, and what you can do to, in turn, scupper them. They've shown fear!
                                                                              Nobody tried to kill anything (or at least if they did, they are more subtly sociopathic than I gave them credit for), this is just shifting sands. Priorities change rapidly!

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Just make sure you don't get a DAB radio. They turned off the signal in Ireland on March 31st this year. Bizarre that retailers are still selling them.
                                                                                That was the old one. Even before then it was weird as some stations were on DAB and some weren't.

Comment

We're off to Legoland tomorrrow. A first time in Denmark, to celebrate the youngest birthday on the grounds that he had to hide in a cupboard for his own safety last birthday due to corona lockdowns. Has anyone been to Denmark, and recommend anything to eat? I tried to google Danish fastfood as often fast food is the purest insight into a nations mindset, but it seems surprisingly empty. I would have thought battered and deep-fried bacon would be a minimum.

Comment

While not being strictly Danish, it being a regional delicacy means that this beauty may be available.

Comment

They do cuisine well though i believe. Lots of Michelin starred restaurants most notably Noma which is/was often voted the worlds best. Not sure how that fits in with Kids/Legoland though.

Comment

We're off to Legoland tomorrrow. A first time in Denmark, to celebrate the youngest birthday on the grounds that he had to hide in a cupboard for his own safety last birthday due to corona lockdowns. Has anyone been to Denmark, and recommend anything to eat? I tried to google Danish fastfood as often fast food is the purest insight into a nations mindset, but it seems surprisingly empty. I would have thought battered and deep-fried bacon would be a minimum.
                                                                                        Trying to remember visiting Copenhagen but almost drew a blank without google photos. The pastries and bakeries are a must-do for breakfast every morning. Food-wise it's meant to be amazing for fine dining but ordinary cuisine I don't recall. Fish and open sandwiches (smorgasbord) seemed to be offered everywhere though. It's a trendy capital city and if kids are fussy you'll have no shortage of similar options to Dublin. Somebody feed Phil (Netflix) did an episode there iirc. Probably worth giving that a look as he always tries to see what the local cuisine and street food scene is like.

Other info on the trip to follow. Went to the Mikkeller bar which was quite cool but pricey (lol scandi alcohol taxes) - the cherry wine they had was amazing but it's probably not family-friendly stop. Nyhaven looks class and is well worth a spin just don't go for food or drinks there (think temple bar tourist trap).

Other highlights were exploring the Rosenborg Castle (preserved condition from Renaissance I believe), and museum (royal treasure/artefacts there under armed guard). The star-shaped fort at the harbour is worth a walk around (little mermaid nearby also). Christiania which is really cool but maybe not be that interesting for kids (must-see for adults). I wasn't too bothered with the little mermaid statue, it's tiny and mobbed by 100's of tourists. Tivoli Gardens theme park is meant to be cool but it was closed when I visited. Loads of bicycles everywhere, even more than in the Netherlands so be careful with little ones. Pretty much everywhere you go there's an amazing blend of old and contemporary architecture. Lovely city to walk around aimlessly in.

Comment

Controversially we're also going to Denmark in a few weeks, but staying in Copenhagen and swerving the delights of Legoland. Thus upholding my lifelong refusal to bring them to such places (Disneyland etc).

TR would be welcome.

Comment

Somebody Feed Phil episode is a top idea! I'd imagine Billund (topic of this - lovely - book) has some knockoffs of the Copenhagen top food dogs. I'd heard, for the benefit of Raoul, that Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen is lovely.

Thanks so much coillcam.

(will also try to find rotten shark)

Comment

https://www.itinari.com/rode-polser-...o-find-it-yhg2

this seems to be the type of thing you are after?

There's also the always fun scandanavian pizza toppings.
                                                                                              Banana, curry etc
                                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Controversially we're also going to Denmark in a few weeks, but staying in Copenhagen and swerving the delights of Legoland. Thus upholding my lifelong refusal to bring them to such places (Disneyland etc).

TR would be welcome.
                                                                                                Bring loots - IIRC a couple pizzas and bottle of vino set me back e150 or something redic when we were there. Tenner a beer etc etc

Comment

Copehagen is a bore. Nice restaurants, very clean but minus craic really.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Bring loots - IIRC a couple pizzas and bottle of vino set me back e150 or something redic when we were there. Tenner a beer etc etc
                                                                                                    Pretty much this. I did manage to get a couple of smaller places with a beer for a 5er but in general, a standard longneck heineken was minimum €7.50.

Comment

I'm also intending to be in Copenhagen in the next few weeks to visit No2 Son if I can make time. might manage a HHE lunch if our paths cross there.

Great city to visit, lots of good food KinKin was class IIRC that was an IonaPaul recommendation. There is a streetfood area called Broens Gadekøkken with a particularly good pizza.

here https://www.google.com/maps/@55.6776...7i16384!8i8192

Another place in that general area that I remember as being above average value for money was
                                                                                                      https://www.sanktannae8.com/

Right across the road from there, Cafe Wilder did a decent breakfast and would be a decent lunch for kids place.

It's expensive but not much worse than Dublin, lots of things to do and see, cycle everywhere.
                                                                                                      Last edited by Strewelpeter; 23-09-21, 12:14.
                                                                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

We'll be there 22-27 Oct sp.

We can smuggle in some MarcoMeat and Irish cheese and have a picnic afloat the canals.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                                                                          Copehagen is a bore. Nice restaurants, very clean but minus craic really.
                                                                                                          That's Stockholm you're thinking of.

Copenhagen had plenty of funky shit going down last time I visited, although that could just have been the (Danish) company I was in.

Comment

Finished three episodes and its ridiculous at the highest level. Great stuff.
                                                                                                            milled through 5 of them over the last 2 nights. Loving it so far. Best series in a good while.
                                                                                                            His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Somebody Feed Phil episode is a top idea! I'd imagine Billund (topic of this - lovely - book) has some knockoffs of the Copenhagen top food dogs. I'd heard, for the benefit of Raoul, that Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen is lovely.

Thanks so much coillcam.

(will also try to find rotten shark)
                                                                                                              We're going to Bakken, which will be a lot less touristy although no doubt will end up in Tivoli at some stage. Cruise the canals. Eat fish. Discover.

I have a friend who's married to a native Copenhagenite so will hit her up for other ideas.

Comment

CopenHot is pretty fantastic.

Hot Tubs where you jump directly into the Baltic for your plunge pool.

Comment

That's Stockholm you're thinking of.

Copenhagen had plenty of funky shit going down last time I visited, although that could just have been the (Danish) company I was in.
                                                                                                                  No I've been in both and thought they were both pretty drab, Stockholm is much worse than Copenhagen, I'll give you that. I've got relatives in Malmo, so I've been there a couple of times.

Comment

Don't mind all the other advice so far. I can tell you from my one visit to Denmark, that they cannot do fast food.

It was November 2017 and we were playing Denmark in a two leg world cup play off - We flew in the morning of the game and as is tradition, the drinking started at around 6am in the airport ahead of boarding the plane, which was followed by as much drink as we could get on the plane to the point that we were half cut arriving in Copenhagen only to start a full day of drinking before an 8pm kick off.

Somewhere around 6pm, we decided that we should eat something before heading to the stadium and settled on a nice looking burger joint for optimum soakage. I ordered for myself and the other two lads and when doing so, the lad behind the counter embarrassingly told me that they had run out of burger buns as they weren't expected so many football fans to be around for the game who would want to eat burgers & chips after a day of drinking.

He said he could just give us the patties with the toppings, chips and a knife and fork so we could eat it. At this point, I couldn't be arsed going elsewhere, especially as one of our group was already completely legless so agreed and paid him. In my drunken state, I kind of forgot that they had no buns until the food arrived down at the table and the two lads looked at me in a WTF? type way

'They ran out of buns lads - Best I could do in a difficult situation' as I shrugged my shoulders

The drunkest of our trio tried to eat it and then decided, no, this isn't happening and started to make his way to the toilet, failed miserably, and ended vomiting all over a table and chairs a few rows down - Thankfully, nobody was sitting there at the time. Oddly enough, the staff were not impressed with this so we had to make a quick exit.

The lad in question still blames the lack of a bun for his sickness to this day, it had nothing to do with the 27 pints consumed beforehand

Comment

In fairness, the man sent you for burgers and you brought back something entirely different. No wonder the poor fella was queasy.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

https://www.itinari.com/rode-polser-...o-find-it-yhg2

this seems to be the type of thing you are after?

There's also the always fun scandanavian pizza toppings.
                                                                                                                        Banana, curry etc
                                                                                                                        oh class, that's right on point! I saw some excellent smorgebord sandwiches in the Someone Feed Phil episode also. Legoland apparently has a restaurant where kids can construct their own meals on a screen at the table and send them off to the restaurant.

Comment

I met KPnuts this week as he has joined the D-C-U massif. He said he was working as a travel journalist for a while (which sounded like easily the best job in the world) and Helsinki was the best city he visited in recent memory. Strange that Stockholm, Copenhagen, might be a bit dull, if Helsinki is rocking it.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X