Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

€20 on ties for all Fri/Sat sessions, doubles/trebles and 4 fold.

One double comes in pays for the lot and 5 free pints of Guinness. Any treble worth €1k, any 4 fold worth €3.5k.

Hopefully this is the year

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
      0-4 to yanks after first session possible!
      The Ryder Cup has to be one of the stranger sports events out there.

A team event in an individual sport where a bunch of millionaires who don't like each other are forced to pretend they're a 'team' for a few days. And where at least half of them (mainly the Americans) are visibly bored, frustrated by having to burn their precious time playing in this thing and quite clearly couldn't give a fuck what the result is. I think Koepka basically acknowledged this in his interviews.
      And yet it gets hyped to the moon as being the World Cup, the Olympics and the Kentucky Derby all rolled into one.

Trying to think of an equivalent event in another sport and failing!
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

A team event in an individual sport where a bunch of millionaires who don't like each other are forced to pretend they're a 'team' for a few days. And where at least half of them (mainly the Americans) are visibly bored, frustrated by having to burn their precious time playing in this thing and quite clearly couldn't give a fuck what the result is. I think Koepka basically acknowledged this in his interviews.
        And yet it gets hyped to the moon as being the World Cup, the Olympics and the Kentucky Derby all rolled into one.

They give a fuck. I think this year will be the most rambunctious one ever, fans caged up for so long. We'll be sick of the USA chants by hole 3 of the 1st match. I like the golf part , I hate the rest of it. The OTT tears by the privileged is cringey . However I will be glued to it as the competition itself is great TV. Enjoyed the Solhiem cup. Heres hoping for controversy to get the brow beaters out in force

Comment

Off topic slightly. The Calcutta cup between Scotland and England seems like a total meaningless cup. What's the point rugby buffs ? And why Calcutta ?

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

They give a fuck. I think this year will be the most rambunctious one ever, fans caged up for so long. We'll be sick of the USA chants by hole 3 of the 1st match. I like the golf part , I hate the rest of it. The OTT tears by the privileged is cringey . However I will be glued to it as the competition itself is great TV. Enjoyed the Solhiem cup. Heres hoping for controversy to get the brow beaters out in force
            Tiger Woods (to take just one example) - greatest player of modern times, quite clearly never wanted to be at the Ryder Cup.

Comment

Doing a treble .

I'm bored so my picks. My treble

My 2c on the opening matches.
              Speith and Thimas are capable of running away with it but lately both are inconsistent. Rahm is in great form and Segio is showing well in tournaments this year . I think Rahm will inspire him. Sergio irons are superb. I give this 1 to Europe

Hovland is a great player with an even temperament that's perfect for golf . His occasional triple bogeys really hurt him in stroke play , however in this format hs should shine and in Casey he has a partner who is equally easy going with a very accurate game . Johnson and Morika could be anything. Strange season for Dustin and Morikowa seems to have gone off the boil since the Open Europe

Match 3. Not touching this . A strange choice Paddy. I will say Fitzpatrick does start tournaments well. The opponents look too strong here though . No bet

Last match to Europe . Poulter bleeds the Ryder Cup and Rory has game when the crowd are deafening. Schauffele is hot and very cold and Cantlay whilst on top form may be wasted after the FedEx exploits .
              Interesting!

I've gone with you on the first game.
              Second i've gone opposite. For almost exactly the same reasons - DJ and Morikowa could be anything - but if they click with DJs length and CMs irons could be unreal
              Next is a strange one alright. I've gone with a draw.... just because..... some matches end in draws
              Gone with the Yanks in the last too. Just because of my Poulter hate.

So 2.5 to 1.5 to the Americans after a lot of statistical analysis as you can see

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

One double comes in pays for the lot and 5 free pints of Guinness. Any treble worth €1k, any 4 fold worth €3.5k.

Might do similar for the craic, is it a Yankee one would do?

Comment

Off topic slightly. The Calcutta cup between Scotland and England seems like a total meaningless cup. What's the point rugby buffs ? And why Calcutta ?
                  It's older than the tournament that it is included in. It's not like it actually means anything or that it gets advertised as something standalone. It's just a historical curiosity.

I guess it was probably first played between Victorian sportsmen who were posted in Calcutta during the Raj.

Comment

Tiger Woods (to take just one example) - greatest player of modern times, quite clearly never wanted to be at the Ryder Cup.
                    I disagree . Tiger needed to be entirely focused on himself to achieve what he achieved. I think in his early days he found the whole team event thing very distracting from his normal routine so didnt crush as normal. As he got older he got really into it .

Comment

I feel the same about the Lions Tours. A put together team from 4 (?) different nations trying to beat (and often failing) an established side. Like, i get the fact that there is a lot of pride in wearing the jersey, the games are hotly contested and the fans are love it but what is the actual point.

And if for example, NZ win the tour, does it give them a psychological advantage when playing the single teams in a WC?

Comment

I disagree . Tiger needed to be entirely focused on himself to achieve what he achieved. I think in his early days he found the whole team event thing very distracting from his normal routine so didnt crush as normal. As he got older he got really into it .
                        By 'got into it', you obviously mean 'played absolutely shite'?

I see in 2018 when he was supposedly 'into it', his record was 0-4-0.

The data does not support your hypothesis. Overall massive loser in the RC and indicative of someone who couldn't give a bollix..

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                          Pity they didn't do laptops at the same time. USB-C is perfect for charging laptops (and ironically what apple use for their laptops), but laptops still seem to come with a huge range of unique chargers.
                          Do they?
                          In the past sure, they all seamed to do round or square pin types in various sizes. But any laptops that I have seen in the last 2 or 3 years across a few brands has been USB C.

The wife's boss said there is a motorway on the way to Mayo where they take a timestamp picture of you getting on to the motorway and a timestamp picture of you getting off the motorway, and if your time elapsed is less than the time it would take to travel the distance at the maximum motorway speed, then they issue you with a speeding ticket as you must have been speeding even though they haven't directly observed you speeding.

That's clearly a rumour, rather than real, isn't it?
                          That's pretty common. It's honestly a much better way of doing it, for both parties. You enforce the limit over a long section, not just a single point, and you aren't aren't fined for brief infractions.

Not sure I'd agree that they haven't observed you speeding. It's really no different to a laser speed gun or camera. Just with references points further apart. (A laser gun measures your position at two points in time with a fraction of a second.

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                          It's crazy that we still use speed vans and police with radar guns in a world where not only average speed technology exists but where it is trivial to fit every car with a devices that could be as simple as reporting speed and location or if we wanted to splash out we could go a long way towards 0 road deaths by using a mi of speed limiters cameras and existing auto drive tech to overrule peoples stupidity and incompetence.
                          Speed limiters I agree. But not sure I agree with the self reporting speed. How work that work. On board speedometers would need to be a lot more accurate. Most overestimate speed. be a few km/h.
                          You won't be speeding in your Leaf Hitchhiker's Guide To...

Above 110kmph the car absolutely drinks energy. It's the same for all cars, not electric specific, but you'll be noticing that you don't want to drive that fast for very long...
                          How much more battery would 120km/h use vrs 60km/h?

If there any sort of way of knowing a swett spot for economy? Or a energy per km graph across a range of speeds.
                          The quoted values of modern cars are great, esp electric. But a bit silly if it turns out that only apply at 30km/h.

Comment

Rugby has an astonishing amount of these nonsense trophies presented after a match between two teams.
                            Millenium Cup (Ireland v England), Bledisdoe (Aus v NZ), Garibaldi (France v Italy), Mandela Plate (Aus v SA), the Quaich (which always seems somewhat Harry Potterish) between Scotland and Ireland. I'm sure there's plenty more.

Comment

Bill Gates sounding a bit like Prince Andrew

In response to Woodruff's question about whether there was a lesson to learn from the experience, Gates said, "Well, he's dead, so in general you always have to be careful."
                              Last edited by ComradeCollie; 24-09-21, 08:45.
                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

I feel the same about the Lions Tours. A put together team from 4 (?) different nations trying to beat (and often failing) an established side. Like, i get the fact that there is a lot of pride in wearing the jersey, the games are hotly contested and the fans are love it but what is the actual point.

And if for example, NZ win the tour, does it give them a psychological advantage when playing the single teams in a WC?
                                I guess you could say that about all sport really.

Lions seems to be an anachronism from the amateur days (which isn't that long ago for rugby), and it's a strange outlier in the professional game - certainly the 'tour' this summer will have put many off it for life, including me. I certainly wouldn't ever dream of spending cash to go on a Lions tour whereas I'm quite happy to go to obscure corners of France to watch Irish provincial teams play.

The one thing about the Lions I suppose is how the players involved typically view it as the highlight of their career, so I guess that says something. Maybe that's now changing and some of the Irish players who weren't picked this summer would secretly admit to being quite pleased about that?

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                  Rugby has an astonishing amount of these nonsense trophies presented after a match between two teams.
                                  Millenium Cup (Ireland v England), Bledisdoe (Aus v NZ), Garibaldi (France v Italy), Mandela Plate (Aus v SA), the Quaich (which always seems somewhat Harry Potterish) between Scotland and Ireland. I'm sure there's plenty more.
                                  It's not like anyone pretends to care about them though, unlike the Ryder Cup.

Anyway, for this weekend, you would clearly have to root for the EU as 'our' () players seem to be a less dislikable bunch of pricks than the Americans. Plus it's funny to watch Brits playing under the one true flag. So yeah, eh, do it for Ursula lads.

s-l640.jpg

Comment

By 'got into it', you obviously mean 'played absolutely shite'?

I see in 2018 when he was supposedly 'into it', his record was 0-4-0.

The data does not support your hypothesis. Overall massive loser in the RC and indicative of someone who couldn't give a bollix..
                                    It's a different dynamic . For a player of his dominance he wasnt as great in Matchplay events (still great though) . I would have thought hed win more of these. Now I better be careful what I saw on Woods , the fan boys will try to nail me to a cross . Look at his RC singles record though . Pretty good and backs up my hippopotamus

Comment

It's a different dynamic . For a player of his dominance he wasnt as great in Matchplay events (still great though) . I would have thought hed win more of these. Now I better be careful what I saw on Woods , the fan boys will try to nail me to a cross . Look at his RC singles record though . Pretty good and backs up my hippopotamus
                                      Ah so he was great, except when he wasn't, which was in the Ryder Cup when he was a big loser., which makes him great

Got it. Your hypothalamus works when you apply it in reverse.

Put it this way, if Woods was asked for his career top 10 moments, do you think he would even consider the Ryder Cup?

Comment

Ah so he was great, except when he wasn't, which was in the Ryder Cup when he was a big loser., which makes him great

Got it. Your hypothalamus works when you apply it in reverse.

Put it this way, if Woods was asked for his career top 10 moments, do you think he would even consider the Ryder Cup?
                                        Why would he . It's not about him .

Comment

Maybe not but to be fair, if any player had 10+ majors (of which, there is a VERY small list) then i don't think it's totally unfair that that player didn't put a Team event into it.

If he only had two majors then your question may have had slightly more resonance!

Comment

Why would he . It's not about him .
                                            I'd say he'd put certain memorable Vegas threesomes with his stable of hookers ahead of any Ryder Cup.

Comment

Anyway, for this weekend, you would clearly have to root for the EU as 'our' () players seem to be a less dislikable bunch of pricks than the Americans.
                                              I actually think if you did a "prick-ometer" Europe could come out ahead. They have Garcia, McIroy and Poulter who are certainly prickish. While on the other side DeChambeau and Brooks are really the only two who totally match that description. Maybe DJ

Comment

Not picking Patrick Reid was a buzzkill for me. Fk you Stricker.

Comment

I actually think if you did a "prick-ometer" Europe could come out ahead. They have Garcia, McIroy and Poulter who are certainly prickish. While on the other side DeChambeau and Brooks are really the only two who totally match that description. Maybe DJ
                                                  Coming from a position of near-total ignorance (which never stops me opining on anything), and based solely on their profile pictures here, I'd say they're all pricks except Morikawa who at least had the decency not to plaster a fake smile on.

Comment

That's different, as explained by General Melchett.

Captain Darling:
                                                    So you see, Blackadder, Field Marshall Haig is most anxious to eliminate all these German spies.

General Melchett:
                                                    Filthy hun weasels, fighting their dirty underhand war!

Captain Darling:
                                                    And fortunately, one of our spies...

General Melchett:
                                                    Splendid fellows, brave heroes risking life and limb for Blighty!

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

That's different, as explained by General Melchett.

Captain Darling:
                                                      So you see, Blackadder, Field Marshall Haig is most anxious to eliminate all these German spies.

General Melchett:
                                                      Filthy hun weasels, fighting their dirty underhand war!

Captain Darling:
                                                      And fortunately, one of our spies...

General Melchett:
                                                      Splendid fellows, brave heroes risking life and limb for Blighty!
                                                      Top reference .

Comment

Ah, Blackadder! Been a while since i've watched. Great show.

Comment

Are you perming from 16 matches or doing them one session at a time?
                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

there's loads of these weird ones. Ireland and Scotland play for the Centenary Quiach every time they play a game of Rugby too!

Professionalism has 'ruined' quite a few historical trophies as the teams now play far more often than when the trophy was set up.

Do trophies ever get retired actually?

Comment

It makes perfect sense, I just didn't trust they would be sophisticated enough.
                                                              Was driving in Portugal a few years ago and noticed they had traffic lights in the middle of nowhere, no junction, straight road, not pedestrian light. Figured out it was to stop people speeding, further back the road your speed was tagged and if above the lights would go red and make you stop....that in itself will slow your progress but it also stopped the people behind you, making it a kind of social stigma, thought it was a great idea.
                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Do trophies ever get retired actually?
                                                                All the time i'd imagine but for a variety of different reasons.

Uefa Cup and Cup Winners Cup retired in Soccer. But really just "amalgamated" into the Europa League.

BDO Darts World Championship (i.e. the original*) as the BDO went bankrupt in the last couple years

are ones i can think of straight away.

But not sure about ones because of a lack of relevance anymore which is probably what you are asking. But i'm sure there must be examples?

*original to the PDC version anyhow.

Comment

QUOTE]
                                                                  Shergar Cup is just a poor copy.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                    I hope Lao held firm in his work negotiations :tren;

Ha! I did but so did they so I told them thanks but no thanks which they reluctantly accepted.

A few months passed and they then went and hired two people to do the job that I was going to do - Pure madness on their part. We have barely heard a peep out of one of them so far and the second one held an absolute woeful call recently where they were called out as being all over the shop and not really having a clue as to what they were doing (in a nice way of course) Hopefully, they both improve as it's in everyone's interest that they succeed but I have my doubts.

That said, the extra shillings would have come in handy at the weekend to cover Guilbauds

Comment

Fundalk Friday

Harry hill 4.45

Comment

Fingers crossed for Hovland. Very likeable.

Comment

I think if you watch golf a lot.

And listen to the comments from players and captains who’ve played on Ryder Cup teams about the Ryder Cup.

I think if you believe that the players don’t give a shite about then it means one of two things:

1. They are all lying, in concert.
                                                                          2. You haven’t a clue what you are talking about.

Brooks might not care, and has said so, but he’s also said he doesn’t care about “golf” in general. And why would you believe Brooks when he says he doesn’t care but not every other player when they say it’s an awesome event…

also the 0-4 Tiger record meaning “the data doesn’t support your opinion” is laughable. It could as easily be variance.
                                                                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                            I think if you watch golf a lot.

And listen to the comments from players and captains who’ve played on Ryder Cup teams about the Ryder Cup.

I think if you believe that the players don’t give a shite about then it means one of two things:

1. They are all lying, in concert.
                                                                            2. You haven’t a clue what you are talking about.

Brooks might not care, and has said so, but he’s also said he doesn’t care about “golf” in general. And why would you believe Brooks when he says he doesn’t care but not every other player when they say it’s an awesome event…

also the 0-4 Tiger record meaning “the data doesn’t support your opinion” is laughable. It could as easily be variance.
                                                                            Cantlay had a good point about the variance involved using a gin analogy: https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sp...ce-2021-09-22/

Now hopefully someone can step on the shaft of his putter to slow him down a bit

Comment

I'll say one thing for golf though; they do make the players start playing at some ridiculous times

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Cantlay had a good point about the variance involved using a gin analogy: https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sp...ce-2021-09-22/

Now hopefully someone can step on the shaft of his putter to slow him down a bit
                                                                                Yeah sure, its one of the main reasons players/tours/clubs the world over aren't matchplay for the big big events and we only see it a few times a year.

Sure on any given day a pro can shoot 61 or 75, thats 14 strokes. Thats nearly a stroke a hole.... hard to win a matchplay if you are even slightly off and the other guy is slightly on. DJ shot an 84 in official tournament last year.
                                                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Yeah sure, its one of the main reasons players/tours/clubs the world over aren't matchplay for the big big events and we only see it a few times a year.

Sure on any given day a pro can shoot 61 or 75, thats 14 strokes. Thats nearly a stroke a hole.... hard to win a matchplay if you are even slightly off and the other guy is slightly on. DJ shot an 84 in official tournament last year.
                                                                                  It's great to see the pros play other formats and team events every now and then. Amateur golf is all about that variety. Don't get me wrong, a good medal/strokeplay comp is awesome but playing the other formats make the game more fun and accessible.

I got knocked out of a matchplay comp recently after playing an absolute mare. Worst round in months (easily +10 net) but my opponent was almost equally as awful on the day but he just dribbled in a couple of putts. Any other day that match would have been easily finished by 14. The swings are outrageous in Matchplay, a great way to raise the heart rate for sure.

Comment

That Nicklaus Jacklin award is a great example of Willys take on golf having its head stuck up its own arse.

Comment

Rory looks very out of sorts. Reverse BBV please.
                                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Might do similar for the craic, is it a Yankee one would do?
                                                                                        Sorry busy day so only saw this now. I did €1 on 4 fold and trebles and €2.50 on doubles = €20 bet, all ties were 11/2. Now obvs you could do it different

Comment

Are you perming from 16 matches or doing them one session at a time?
                                                                                          One session at a time - sure they dont announce them in time to do all 4 sessions in one bet

Comment

One session at a time - sure they dont announce them in time to do all 4 sessions in one bet
                                                                                            Yeah i was wondering if you'd got prices somewhere on the blank slots.

I think you'll find the prices for the tie in the fourballs will be much shorter than for the foursomes.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                              Rory looks very out of sorts. Reverse BBV please.
                                                                                              His putting is right in sorts. He is a woeful woeful putter from 6-12 feet when it matters.

Comment

His putting is right in sorts. He is a woeful woeful putter from 6-12 feet when it matters.
                                                                                                His chip on 1 was pure vomit.
                                                                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Should walk off now and rest up for next session

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

His chip on 1 was pure vomit.
                                                                                                    Yeah it was nonsense, something a 4 capper would do.

Xanders on one was interesting, he flopped it high, most other players going low spinner. Didn't look like there was a mound in way either.

Comment

That Garcia 3 wood and Rahm pitch look very familiar to how I'd do it on a Par 5 .

Looking like 3-1 USA after this session.

Comment

Poulter no fire in the belly.. Cantlay annoying accurate .

Thomas not putting well is a lifeline .

come on Lowry .

Comment

Yeah i was wondering if you'd got prices somewhere on the blank slots.

I think you'll find the prices for the tie in the fourballs will be much shorter than for the foursomes.
                                                                                                          Same prices bar one at 5s

Comment

It's going to take a while to get over booking fast track passes through Ryanair and, after forgetting this, also through the Dublin Airport website.
                                                                                                            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Same prices bar one at 5s
                                                                                                              much better valooo IM uneducated O

Comment

Was talking on the phone to a Northern Irish lad earlier. Talking about a specialist drilling machine we're thinking about buying.

He goes - "I was talking to a lad in England who has it, he says it's just a modified Pepper Drill, you should Google Pepper drills'

I said to him 'I'm not familiar with it, how do you spell Pepper'

'No, a pepper drill. For drilling pepper'

He was saying paper.
                                                                                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

The ideas being floated as a covid bonus are ridiculous and just going to lead to more whinging plus we cannot afford it
                                                                                                                  extra bank holiday or 2 max is what should be done
                                                                                                                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Jesus these Nicklaus-Jacklin award segments are painful- I fguess Koepka and Bryson won’t be in the running anyway
                                                                                                                    Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Crowd seem to be getting nicely tanked at the golf. Chortling merrily at all the European ineptitude.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                                                        The ideas being floated as a covid bonus are ridiculous and just going to lead to more whinging plus we cannot afford it
                                                                                                                        extra bank holiday or 2 max is what should be done
                                                                                                                        I'd be more for a 3 month lockdown every year. We could all pretend we're teachers who like their relations.
                                                                                                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

First week of college completed on campus. Very weird indeed. Didnt think I'd feel as old as I do.

A hat tip to SP for his Typhoid Mary recommendation. I chose a module on Death and Disease in History, and the topic this week was understanding and defining disease. I was able to show off my knowledge of contact tracing being par for the course these days while in her case, it was unheard of. Among another few relevant snippets. This place can still throw up a few gems.

So far so good in class. Getting some good LOLs off the young lads.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X