This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I like the 'I'm down with the kids, not like the rest of you uncool IT readers' subtle vibe
    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
      Was reading an article about the upcoming top gun sequel, and was shocked to discover that val kilmer lost his voice (to cancer) in 2014. Absolutely love the fact Tom cruise said that the sequel couldn't be made without him (and rightly so).
      Lovely documentary about Kilmer's life, largely made up of home video he filmed himself. He seemed to bring a video camera everywhere including movie sets.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/val
      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

It's meaningless nonsense.

There doesn't even seem to be any story worthy of needing an extra asshole ripped. There's just a good news story about restrictions being lifted?
        If it's meaningless nonsense why has the story been running for 6 weeks? A blatant jobs for the boys girls story and the subsequent botched attempts to deflect that exposed a tiny part of the golden circle, will always stick in the craw of the half of the country that are struggling to keep a roof over their heads.
        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Just program her to respond to OK Google. She won't mind!
          Why does this make me vaguely suspicious about your relationship with your wife?

Comment

Marco must dispatch his meat at the speed of light.

Sounds dodgier than I intended.
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Also received Marcos penis shaped meats today from Mr DHL.

Comment

Also received Marcos penis shaped meats today from Mr DHL.
                I may have overdone it. Although two of my kids are fiends for salami so, although it will be a struggle, we'll manfully munch our way through it by November and in time for the Christmas order.

Comment

I may have overdone it. Although two of my kids are fiends for salami so, although it will be a struggle, we'll manfully munch our way through it by November and in time for the Christmas order.
                  I might have to blame "that Irishman you met in Rennes" with the kids when we get up towards the second month in a row of pure salami dinners.

Comment

I copied your order and have one 5 year old who I doubt will eat anything other than the ham
                    and an 81 year old who thinks sausage shaped foods have no place apart from in a fry
                    I'll still be eating this next year.

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

It would be a good day to sharpen my salami-slicing knives.

Comment

The “metaverse” is such a grim concept, what a waste of electricity
                        saw some blizzard executive spoofing about the in world concerts they held in fort nite recently, it looked fairly pathetic, sad what companies like that are doing with kids these days, getting the hooked in to buying virtual tat. And Facebook another big player in this whole thing

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Are there videos where he gives an introduction to the concepts or are they all just dripfed in the shot by shot videos? Maybe I'm watching the wrong ones.
                          pretty much drip fed as he goes round with golfers (although there were a few recap videos), but i thought the concept of visualising the situations on course worked pretty well

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Are there videos where he gives an introduction to the concepts or are they all just dripfed in the shot by shot videos? Maybe I'm watching the wrong ones.
                            Probably best to look at the breaking 100 or 90 or 80 videos. The one with his mate JMac or brother in law Brian (BDog) are the best. You could go through the recent 1 hour-long whiteboard ones but you may get bored. The concepts are really good but it is a little long imo.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                              The “metaverse” is such a grim concept, what a waste of electricity
                              saw some blizzard executive spoofing about the in world concerts they held in fort nite recently, it looked fairly pathetic, sad what companies like that are doing with kids these days, getting the hooked in to buying virtual tat. And Facebook another big player in this whole thing
                              u ok grumpy cat?
                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

So, what did I miss?
                                You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

If it's meaningless nonsense why has the story been running for 6 weeks? A blatant jobs for the boys girls story and the subsequent botched attempts to deflect that exposed a tiny part of the golden circle, will always stick in the craw of the half of the country that are struggling to keep a roof over their heads.
                                  I must admit I have noticed it more and more of late, a lot of apologists for the current government, but anyone openly criticizing the current government, for anything, is looked at as a daily mail/sun reading, SF voting knuckle dragger.

It seems to be the new virtue signaling, wokism to accept sloppy and underhanded dealing from elected officials, even if its a stamp they used for a personal letter its not on, its black and white, put yourself in that position and you must hold your self more accountable than joe public.

They dont give a flying fuck about anyone struggling or even understand how most people feel, so out of touch with the voting man its insane.

And its because of the apologists on their behalf they dont give a rats ass, they know well the alternative next GE is even more grim its a win win for them, Covneys chances of being next FG leader have taken a big hit of late.
                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                    So, what did I miss?
                                    Any chance of Facebook/WhatsApp paying the full fine to the data protection commissioner or will it go into legal purgatory for a few years before being reduced considerably?

Comment

Speaking of youtube, came across this guy recently, great BBQ channel, both building and cooking.
                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

So, what did I miss?
                                        Without quality free legal aid to guide them, half of IPB has gotten incarcerated in the last few months.

How's the growing family?

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Any chance of Facebook/WhatsApp paying the full fine to the data protection commissioner or will it go into legal purgatory for a few years before being reduced considerably?
                                          They'll pay. The DPC is part of a European network of Data Protection groups operating under EU law. Since the EU basically sets global terms on data usage, Facebook won't want to create an enforcement problem. They'll pay the fine.

Comment

Marco must dispatch his meat at the speed of light.

Sounds dodgier than I intended.
                                            Only the mad Irish make online orders during holiday season!

They are working on a reduced schedule to service restaurants and delis in holiday areas everyone else in Italy has been closed for the last two weeks and for the rest of this week. This is a country where the restaurants close for lunch!

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Without quality free legal aid to guide them, half of IPB has gotten incarcerated in the last few months.

How's the growing family?
                                              All good. Been keeping me busy. I'll restart the legal aid clinic here to keep the rest of the reprobates out of jail. I see Hitch remains a free man. Another bet lost.

Comment

So, what did I miss?
                                                Dublin B's lost to Mayo

Comment

So, what did I miss?
                                                  GAB was looking for comment a few weeks ago about the Michael O'Higgins SC / Justice Tony Hunt spat.
                                                  And a few of us were wondering about the legality of employers looking for covid vax certs for existing and/or new employees.

No rush, think of it as your first day back at work after vacation, ease into it.

Comment

Fucking Shingles confirmed this morning.
                                                    Anyone in here ever get it? How long it last?

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                      *you* got shingles and not your kid? Yikes, keep well. I can't imagine that is in any way pleasant.

Comment

Lunch in the Kimchi Hophouse was top tip top quality. No airs or graces. Just a bunch of tables out where kegs of beer used to be stored. But they do those dishes ridiculously well.

Comment

I'd a horrible dose a long time ago, extremely painful. According to lore if the sores spread around and meet in the middle you will die, mine went the whole way around and I'm still here.

As I remember it was very painful for a week to ten days and then another while before I was better completely.

Comment

I got it 10 years ago after running myself into the ground. Crash… It was pretty bad as the doc send me to hospital. Took my 6 weeks to recover . I could barely move with the nerve pain.
                                                            ON the other hand my mother got it whilst on a trip to London and simply got on with her trip and was grand in a few days. So it depends on the dose you have really.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                              GAB was looking for comment a few weeks ago about the Michael O'Higgins SC / Justice Tony Hunt spat.
                                                              Criminal law is so dramatic compared to my area. The best advocates have to be confrontational where it's called for. No idea if there was a history of interventions that precipitated that particular exchange but Michael O'Higgins SC is an old hand and wouldn't have taken Mr. Justice Hunt to task without some basis. I note the newspaper reports didn't suggest the prosecution intervened in defence of the comment either. Seems like a normal enough exchange. Interesting in the context of that case but not really noteworthy otherwise.

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                              And a few of us were wondering about the legality of employers looking for covid vax certs for existing and/or new employees.
                                                              That's not likely to be an issue now given the road plan the government announced. I hadn't put any thought to the legality of the requirements if I am honest. The question is so broad I'm not sure I'd even be comfortable answering it without a more specific issue to discuss.

Comment

The sores have taken a semi circle around my Torso on the right side. Started feeling chest pains on Sunday. Was in Docs Monday and he thought it was some sort of Rib Issue. The pain never subsided and the sores started to appear yesterday evening and really started showing off this morning. Back today in docs and it's textbook Shingles. It is like someone is squeezing me constantly with the occasional big unwanted squeeze thrown in. I've definitely had pains since Sunday. Hopefully only a week more of them.

Comment

The sores have taken a semi circle around my Torso on the right side. Started feeling chest pains on Sunday. Was in Docs Monday and he thought it was some sort of Rib Issue. The pain never subsided and the sores started to appear yesterday evening and really started showing off this morning. Back today in docs and it's textbook Shingles. It is like someone is squeezing me constantly with the occasional big unwanted squeeze thrown in. I've definitely had pains since Sunday. Hopefully only a week more of them.
                                                                  I guess you got given a 7 day course of famciclovir or something similar. They started working for me by midway through day 2 and was pain free by day 3.

Comment

I see that Joe Rogan twat has contracted covid and is taking veterinary medicines. Solid.

Comment

I see that Joe Rogan twat has contracted covid and is taking veterinary medicines. Solid.
                                                                      One Time

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

One Time
                                                                        Well, we don't want the poor fella to die or get very sick.

Comment

FAO Denny Crane
                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Criminal law is so dramatic compared to my area. The best advocates have to be confrontational where it's called for. No idea if there was a history of interventions that precipitated that particular exchange but Michael O'Higgins SC is an old hand and wouldn't have taken Mr. Justice Hunt to task without some basis. I note the newspaper reports didn't suggest the prosecution intervened in defence of the comment either. Seems like a normal enough exchange. Interesting in the context of that case but not really noteworthy otherwise.

That's not likely to be an issue now given the road plan the government announced. I hadn't put any thought to the legality of the requirements if I am honest. The question is so broad I'm not sure I'd even be comfortable answering it without a more specific issue to discuss.
                                                                            I settled a personal injury claim a month ago and found it so dramatic, 1.5 hour negotiation in a car park where the opposition get to size you up without being allowed talk to me, quite funny tbh. He said this, we say that, over and back - oh no he will try and stick on partial negligence on my part to the case etc. Tons of well dressed people out just to get their coffees in the car park van.

Comment

I'm no Bertie Ahern socialist but this article about wealth inequality in the US blew my mind. Then I read about the change in gun laws and the mass shooting rates in the US and i just think the US is off the list even for holidays at this stage....

Black children have access to just 1 cent for every dollar enjoyed by their white counterparts, new research shows, and Hispanic kids fare little better
                                                                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

CNN article on Texas gun laws....
                                                                                A new pro-gun law in Texas that went into effect Wednesday allows most Texans who legally own a firearm to carry it openly in public without obtaining a permit or training, a measure that experts say will make it more challenging for law enforcement to protect the public from gun violence.
                                                                                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                  CNN article on Texas gun laws....
                                                                                  Texas has gone mental between its new abortion laws, voting restrictions, response to their snowstorm, gun laws and the suicidal approach to covid.

Maybe they should have elected Kinky Friedman as Governor that time.

Comment

Texas has gone mental between its new abortion laws, voting restrictions, response to their snowstorm, gun laws and the suicidal approach to covid.

Maybe they should have elected Kinky Friedman as Governor that time.
                                                                                    400+ incidents every year of 4 or more people being shot in the US. And now Texas says anyone who is over 18 and doesn't have a conviction can openly carry a gun wherever. Just crazy shit

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

400+ incidents every year of 4 or more people being shot in the US. And now Texas says anyone who is over 18 and doesn't have a conviction can openly carry a gun wherever. Just crazy shit
                                                                                      Sure they need to carry guns to defend themselves from government tyranny.

Or else they have really small penises.

Comment

Massive moment in the cricket with Root a goner. Should be interesting now
                                                                                        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                          Massive moment in the cricket with Root a goner. Should be interesting now
                                                                                          First hour tomorrow will decide the game

Comment

Had shingles a couple of years ago. Doc prescribed a synthetic opiate for the pain. Very pleasant semi stomed feeling from them.

Pain was only bad for a few days. Kind of a burning pain.
                                                                                            Doc said it was a bad case of it as there were so many nodes (whatever they are)
                                                                                            Took ages for the scars to heal though.
                                                                                            Last edited by dinekes; 02-09-21, 18:32.

Comment

Taxi driver was playing the news and it's maybe the first time in a decade I've listened to the Irish news, since ditching the telly. They were just going on and on about this Zappone story like it meant something vital. I think it'll be at least another decade before I'm going near that crap again. It genuinely seems harmful to be making such a big deal of such a small story when there's so much to be done in the country. Like the lack of housing and the announcement today - that should have been dissected - of 300k houses. That's what the national attention should be on - on building the future.

Comment

Tech question. I was having a problem which was baffling me. An app on my phone wasn't working via wifi in my house anymore but would using data, it also worked elsewhere on wifi. Anyhoos after much head scratching and fiddling I found that switching from ipv4 + ipv6 to just ipv4 on the router solves it. Before I sound like a big shot tech wizard, I have no actual clue what ipv is or the difference between the the two.

My question is what effect does switching to ipv4 only have?

edit: I put it back to both ipvs and when I do a test on ipv6-test.com is says I don't have ipv6 connectivity. Should that be?
                                                                                                Last edited by hotspur; 02-09-21, 20:32.

Comment

Taxi driver was playing the news and it's maybe the first time in a decade I've listened to the Irish news, since ditching the telly. They were just going on and on about this Zappone story like it meant something vital. I think it'll be at least another decade before I'm going near that crap again. It genuinely seems harmful to be making such a big deal of such a small story when there's so much to be done in the country. Like the lack of housing and the announcement today - that should have been dissected - of 300k houses. That's what the national attention should be on - on building the future.
                                                                                                  From next week, you'll be driving yourself around and choose your own shite to listen to.

Comment

I love the theatre of announcing '300,000 NEW HOUSES!!!'.

Like people still think that Government plans translate into execution. Reminds of the time we successfully met our climate targets under the old Climate Action Plans. Or that Dublin metro we now enjoy. Or the innumerable plans to reform health. Or...you get the picture.

Governments excel at making announcements. They suck at delivery.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                      Tech question. I was having a problem which was baffling me. An app on my phone wasn't working via wifi in my house anymore but would using data, it also worked elsewhere on wifi. Anyhoos after much head scratching and fiddling I found that switching from ipv4 + ipv6 to just ipv4 on the router solves it. Before I sound like a big shot tech wizard, I have no actual clue what ipv is or the difference between the the two.

My question is what effect does switching to ipv4 only have?

edit: I put it back to both ipvs and when I do a test on ipv6-test.com is says I don't have ipv6 connectivity. Should that be?
                                                                                                      I'm implementing ipv6 in work, I was told I'd be doing it when I joined the company...9 years ago. Turn it off.

Comment

^^ The inspiration for my tweet.

Comment

If they are not held to account, seen to be accountable, average voter like me wont be voting them in again...the definition of madness and all that, personally i just wont vote but lots will protest vote as was seen in the last GE and guess who will be filling the ballot papers with candidates next election ?

By people saying its only this or that, leave them off...golfgate, zappone etc, you are giving them a pass in their eyes.

When the shinners get in because the current ones feel they can get away with anything and treat the people with literal contempt,ministers phones are not secure ? Will you fuck right off. It will be because people like yourself gave them noone to be held accountable to
                                                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

This guy's poker Vlog's are pretty funny. Loads more on his channel.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

If they are not held to account, seen to be accountable, average voter like me wont be voting them in again...the definition of madness and all that, personally i just wont vote but lots will protest vote as was seen in the last GE and guess who will be filling the ballot papers with candidates next election ?

By people saying its only this or that, leave them off...golfgate, zappone etc, you are giving them a pass in their eyes.

When the shinners get in because the current ones feel they can get away with anything and treat the people with literal contempt,ministers phones are not secure ? Will you fuck right off. It will be because people like yourself gave them noone to be held accountable to
                                                                                                              Sample things the shinners have done in the last year

- had one of their councillors call Leo a homo foreigner

- had one of their councillors arrested for shooting up a hotel

- campaigned against accommodation aimed exclusively at foreign workers

- offshored their data on the Irish population to Serbian tech management

We can quibble around how I've defined these things, but I feel each of those stories is more worthy a story than a minor position going to a party connection.

So I don't get the logic of how we should discuss this particular shitty little story all summer and gloss over the stories of the government-in-waiting.

And I'm not saying this because I want there to be more analysis of SF. I find all these types of stories (including those I mention above) pointless. I just think it's dangerous when the media starts dictating these things so severely that it influences national perception.
                                                                                                              ​​​​​

Comment

I love the theatre of announcing '300,000 NEW HOUSES!!!'.

Like people still think that Government plans translate into execution. Reminds of the time we successfully met our climate targets under the old Climate Action Plans. Or that Dublin metro we now enjoy. Or the innumerable plans to reform health. Or...you get the picture.

Governments excel at making announcements. They suck at delivery.
                                                                                                                I remember someone smartish telling me that those national development plans that governments come up with tend to be largely implemented, despite public perceptions to the contrary.

Comment

Comment

I really want to read loads by Dalio. He seems the master investment strategist.
                                                                                                                    I thought of this post today.

Dalio’s Hedge Fund Risks Being Dumped by Pension on Weak Returns

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...n-weak-returns

"The Orange County Employees Retirement System’s investment in Bridgewater Associates’s Pure Alpha fund has returned an annualized 4.5% since 2005, about 2.5 percentage points less than its benchmark, according to a memo seen by Bloomberg from Meketa Investment Group, the pension’s consultant. The strategy has topped OCERS’s target only once in the past five years and has trailed on a seven- and 10-year time horizon."
                                                                                                                    Last edited by Hectorjelly; 02-09-21, 22:08.

Comment

I remember someone smartish telling me that those national development plans that governments come up with tend to be largely implemented, despite public perceptions to the contrary.
                                                                                                                      This is in the running for the worst ever argument. We are relying on:

1) Your memory
                                                                                                                      2) Your ability to tell if someone is "smart"
                                                                                                                      3) A general sense of smartness meaning they are more likely to be right about something they aren't an expert on

It's actually worse than someone the implicit argument people make when they claim smoking is fine because their gran lived to 100.

Comment

Seems as there has been a lot of chat around restaurants over the last week or so, I thought it might be an idea to resurrect the Restaurant Review Thread with a review of Mae which can be found

here

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

I thought of this post today.

Dalio’s Hedge Fund Risks Being Dumped by Pension on Weak Returns

https://twitter.com/strassa2/status/...850204745?s=20

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X