Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Lockdown City

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    @V you want to go for Revolut as they have the market share, and so at that meal with Roaul type friends, it will be all Revolut accounts for transferring. The network effect is real.

    Re safety. They are an EU bank with a €100k ECB guarantee. There's no possible issues with safety. Their licence is Lithuanian, N26 is German, AIB is Irish. Only one of those three central banks is dodgy and slow to respond. But the guarantee is backstopped by the ECB for each country anyway.

    They also just got a massive recent valuation so they're not going anywhere soon. They are valued at many many times what AIB or Bank of Ireland are valued.

    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

    Comment


      Personally I transfer most of our spending money to Revolut at the start of the month and only use them for spending.
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

      Comment


        Originally posted by ComradeCollie

        Is there really not a public register of divorces in Ireland? Meeting up with an old girlfriend (from 27 years ago) on Sunday, something she doesn't want to talk about by message. I am excite.
        You owe someone 27 birthday presents…

        Comment


          Excellent documentary on TG4 at the moment. Poc na nGael. Going through the history of players/clubs with Irish ancestry that played ice hockey in Canada.
          Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

          Comment


            Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            @V you want to go for Revolut as they have the market share, and so at that meal with Roaul type friends, it will be all Revolut accounts for transferring. The network effect is real.

            Re safety. They are an EU bank with a €100k ECB guarantee. There's no possible issues with safety. Their licence is Lithuanian, N26 is German, AIB is Irish. Only one of those three central banks is dodgy and slow to respond. But the guarantee is backstopped by the ECB for each country anyway.

            They also just got a massive recent valuation so they're not going anywhere soon. They are valued at many many times what AIB or Bank of Ireland are valued.
            You don't get that guarantee here until they have a licence here afaik.
            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 20-08-21, 19:45.

            Comment


              I just use Revolute to give money to Random IPBers for competitions I shouldn't be in. Fantasy football for example. WEEK 1 . I forget to pick my team . Caught napping already.

              Comment


                Originally posted by ComradeCollie

                As long as she isn't dna checking her 26 year old kid I'm ok. Divorce, one time.
                No more than 3 wanks before the date now.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

                  No more than 3 wanks before the date now.
                  It's not a date.

                  Should probably have 8 between now and then to clean the pipes.

                  Person...Woman...Man......Camera..TV

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

                    It's not a date.

                    Should probably have 8 between now and then to clean the pipes.

                    El Gran Masturbador.

                    Saw it in the Reina Sofia once, should have picked you up a print.
                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                      I just use Revolute to give money to Random IPBers for competitions I shouldn't be in. Fantasy football for example. WEEK 1 . I forget to pick my team . Caught napping already.
                      You can use it for Cheltenham 2022 now. You're due.
                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

                        You can use it for Cheltenham 2022 now. You're due.
                        INSKI. doh

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

                          El Gran Masturbador.

                          Saw it in the Reina Sofia once, should have picked you up a print.
                          Think I'm more in the frequent category. My great ones are well past.
                          Person...Woman...Man......Camera..TV

                          Comment


                            Our childminder is heading back to South Africa for a few weeks holidays.

                            she is fully vaccinated but does anyone know what the return protocols are.

                            She is saying that she doesn’t need a test or to isolate at all - I am presuming that can’t be right?

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

                              You don't get that guarantee here until they have a licence here afaik.
                              That could not possibly be the case as it would undermine the very essence of a single European banking market. The guarantee has to be portable.
                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                Our childminder is heading back to South Africa for a few weeks holidays.

                                she is fully vaccinated but does anyone know what the return protocols are.

                                She is saying that she doesn’t need a test or to isolate at all - I am presuming that can’t be right?
                                Shes wrong. SA is on the list.

                                She needs a negative test in SA prior to travelling here and to isolate at home for 5 days until she can get a 2nd negative test here.

                                "You still must have a negative pre-departure PCR test if you have arrived from a designated country. Children aged 11 and under do not need to have a negative PCR test.

                                You also need to self-quarantine (also called home quarantine) if you arrive from a designated country. You can finish your home quarantine if you get a negative or not detected RT-PCR test result taken from day 5 onwards after you arrive in Ireland."

                                All info clearly laid out here
                                https://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...ne.html#leb02d

                                Comment


                                  Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

                                  That could not possibly be the case as it would undermine the very essence of a single European banking market. The guarantee has to be portable.
                                  From here:


                                  The deposit guarantee scheme of a bank’s home country is also responsible for the deposit guarantees of the depositors of the bank’s foreign branches.


                                  It's quick too. The European Central Bank guarantees you will be paid out fully within 20 days, and by 2024 the guarantee is that you will be paid out within 7 days.

                                  ​​​​​​
                                  You'd probably find (genuinely) that the misinformation about Revolut is spread by the traditional banks.
                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                  Comment


                                    84% of all adults fully jabbed and they're flying through the 12-15 y/o population now (my 12/14 y/os booked in for Monday).

                                    Must be near the top of the international pile.
                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                    Comment


                                      Have a related question on quarantine. Do kids need to home quarantine when they get back from abroad, or they are always exempt? Just wondering in terms of the back to school.
                                      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                      Comment


                                        Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                        Have a related question on quarantine. Do kids need to home quarantine when they get back from abroad, or they are always exempt? Just wondering in terms of the back to school.
                                        Exempt is my reading of it from that link.

                                        Comment


                                          Originally posted by ComradeCollie

                                          As long as she isn't dna checking her 26 year old kid I'm ok. Divorce, one time.
                                          Sure they're 1/2 reared by 26,
                                          be grand.

                                          Comment


                                            Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

                                            That could not possibly be the case as it would undermine the very essence of a single European banking market. The guarantee has to be portable.
                                            Is my money safe with Revolut?


                                            Many people are probably familiar with the Central Bank’s Deposit Guarantee Scheme (DGS). This scheme guarantees deposits with financial institutions, credit unions and banks in Ireland that are authorised by the Central Bank up to €100,000 per person per institution. The Irish DGS also protects deposits held at EU branches of authorised Irish institutions. So for example if AIB was offering savings accounts to German customers from a branch in Berlin, these customers would be covered by the Irish scheme and not the German one.

                                            As Revolut has a banking licence in Lithuania, its customers there are covered by Lithuania's own version of the DGS up to €100,000. Had Revolut passported its banking licence from Lithuania to Ireland then customers of Revolut in Ireland would also have been covered by the Lithuanian deposit protection scheme. But this hasn’t happened.

                                            Instead, as previously mentioned, Revolut is using its Lithuanian e-money licence to operate here, so customers in Ireland aren't protected by any Deposit Guarantee Scheme.
                                            We don't have a banking account with them, we have electronic money accounts.
                                            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 20-08-21, 22:15.

                                            Comment


                                              I tend to go for those 'Delux' or 'Specially Selected' ranges in supermarket. I suspect they are for suckers though and not where the real value is.
                                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

                                              Comment


                                                Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

                                                ​​​​​​
                                                You'd probably find (genuinely) that the misinformation about Revolut is spread by the traditional banks.
                                                Revolut site:

                                                Is my money safe?


                                                The way that Revolut keeps your money safe varies depending on the Revolut entity to which you are registered. You can find out to which Revolut entity you are registered by:
                                                1. Opening the Revolut app
                                                2. Clicking on "dashboard" or your profile icon
                                                3. Clicking the "Settings Icon"
                                                4. Scrolling to the bottom of the page

                                                If you are registered to the Revolut Payments UAB entity:

                                                As an electronic money institution, we are required to "safeguard" clients funds.

                                                "Safeguarding" means separating a client's funds from our own funds and holding them in a separate account with a credit institution. The funds in this segregated account are held by us on your behalf. As an authorised institution, Revolut safeguards your funds as per regulatory requirements.

                                                Safeguarding protects you because, in the unlikely event of the insolvency of Revolut, you will be able to claim your funds from this segregated account and your claim will be paid above all other creditors.

                                                Because the account you hold with us is an electronic money account (not a bank account), your money is not protected by Lithuanian deposit insurance administered by the State Enterprise Deposit and Investment Insurance (VĮ “Indėlių ir investicijų draudimas”).

                                                If you are registered to the Revolut Bank UAB and Revolut Payments UAB entity:

                                                Almost all deposits with Revolut Bank UAB are insured by the Lithuanian State Company “Deposit and Investment Insurance” (VĮ “Indėlių ir investicijų draudimas”). This means that if an insured deposit is not returned as a result of an inability of Revolut Bank UAB to fulfil its financial obligations, the Lithuanian State Company “Deposit and Investment Insurance” shall pay the deposit insurance compensation for deposits to the depositors. The maximum amount of insurance compensation for deposits with Revolut Bank UAB for a single depositor is EUR 100,000. The amount of deposit insurance compensation is determined by aggregating all the deposits held with Revolut Bank UAB. Please note that certain deposits are not insured. More details regarding deposit insurance are available here.
                                                I checked my app and we are the former. No DGS protection.
                                                Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 20-08-21, 22:27.

                                                Comment


                                                  made a fuck up with something related to work recently. Someone who was genuinely trying to make me feel better sent on some article about people bouncing back from work fuck ups containing the line below


                                                  President Bill Clinton was publicly shamed for infidelity. He went on to receive the UN Citizen of the World Award a few years later in honor of his human rights work and contribution to the planet.


                                                  Comment


                                                    Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                    Our childminder is heading back to South Africa for a few weeks holidays.

                                                    she is fully vaccinated but does anyone know what the return protocols are.

                                                    She is saying that she doesn’t need a test or to isolate at all - I am presuming that can’t be right?
                                                    Pic?

                                                    Comment


                                                      Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                      Revolut is incomparable to banking here, no need to set up the account to transfer to,can pay in real time, create links to pay and so on with all it's features.
                                                      So online banking has really improved in 10 years then.
                                                      More or less those features are standard in my bank app. Real time transfer, can pay to account or phone, can send requests. Not links afaik, but the transfer request goes to their phone I think.

                                                      Comment


                                                        Kickstarting the day with slight unease at Tar's superior grasp of personal finance.
                                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                        Comment


                                                          Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                          Kickstarting the day with slight unease at Tar's superior grasp of personal finance.
                                                          At least you're up early. Maybe you should go for long term tent living
                                                          Person...Woman...Man......Camera..TV

                                                          Comment


                                                            A couple of questions on setting up Revolut.

                                                            Do you need a bank account?

                                                            Can you get cash onto it, without first lodging to a bank account?
                                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

                                                            Comment


                                                              Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

                                                              At least you're up early. Maybe you should go for long term tent living
                                                              Just not on Grafton St.
                                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

                                                              Comment


                                                                Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                A couple of questions on setting up Revolut.

                                                                Do you need a bank account?

                                                                Can you get cash onto it, without first lodging to a bank account?
                                                                Passport scan only I think. Then you can add a bank card or a bank account later. Usually takes a few hours to get approved under KYC.
                                                                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                Comment


                                                                  I only use revolut for holidays, forex on amazon.co.uk and fluting about adverts/donedeal. It's a great service but I've seen too many stories of accounts being arbitrarily frozen. Being frozen temporarily is fine but not if it's impossible to get a CS rep on the phone to resolve your plight. They also had their fraud detection filtering disabled for ages without knowing. This went on for months and is a huge black mark against them for pci and banking legislation compliance. The background of the owners could have future questions.

                                                                  Still I pump a few k through it in a year but it won't ever be my primary current account. I'm with kbc until they pack up and leave or a reasonable alternative comes along. Would probably end up with n26 if kbc pulled out of the market today.



                                                                  Comment


                                                                    Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                    A couple of questions on setting up Revolut.

                                                                    Do you need a bank account?

                                                                    Can you get cash onto it, without first lodging to a bank account?
                                                                    I suppose you can hand someone cash and they can transfer to you. Will be with you in seconds.

                                                                    >1.5m Rev accounts in Ireland. Major indictment to how much our lot have been asleep at the wheel.

                                                                    Mind you. Still seems to be good industry to get into. The news articles focused on how many of them made a milly last year. I'd love to hear how many made 250k- 1m.

                                                                    Comment


                                                                      Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                      Kickstarting the day with slight unease at Tar's superior grasp of personal finance.
                                                                      There's knowledge, and then there's applied knowledge.
                                                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                                                      Comment


                                                                        Tibetan terriers look like great dogs (and are apparently not terriers). Down the rabbit\dog hole we go.

                                                                        tibetan-terrier-i4-sz8.jpg
                                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                                                        Comment


                                                                          Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                          Chinese terriers look like great dogs (and are apparently not terriers). Down the rabbit\dog hole we go.

                                                                          tibetan-terrier-i4-sz8.jpg
                                                                          Oh they're lovely.

                                                                          In Dundrum shopping centre today the ISPCA are here with loads of dogs available for adoption. Kids can pet them etc. Nice idea to get away from the presumed grimness of dog pounds.
                                                                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                          Comment


                                                                            Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

                                                                            Oh they're lovely.

                                                                            In Dundrum shopping centre today the ISPCA are here with loads of dogs available for adoption. Kids can pet them etc. Nice idea to get away from the presumed grimness of dog pounds.
                                                                            The ISPCC should do that.

                                                                            Comment


                                                                              I see what you did there Comrade Hitch Wing Ding
                                                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                                                              Comment


                                                                                https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08HJPB9TB?...bb_marketplace

                                                                                Great deal for OnePlus 8T here
                                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                  With all the revolut talk, here's my referral link.

                                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!AUG1AR

                                                                                  Think we each get €40 if u
                                                                                  Sign up
                                                                                  Order a card (which comes in a nifty box)
                                                                                  Make at least 3 transactions



                                                                                  ​​​
                                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                    Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                    With all the revolut talk, here's my referral link.

                                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!AUG1AR

                                                                                    Think we each get €40 if u
                                                                                    Sign up
                                                                                    Order a card (which comes in a nifty box)
                                                                                    Make at least 3 transactions



                                                                                    ​​​
                                                                                    Too slow I did a targeted marketing campaign last night

                                                                                    That they are willing to pay 40 a scalp for people to sign up when their only real angle is skimming a small part of Mastercard's interchange fees should tell us a lot about the value of the duopoly that is MC / Visa.

                                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                      Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

                                                                                      Too slow I did a targeted marketing campaign last night

                                                                                      That they are willing to pay 40 a scalp for people to sign up when their only real angle is skimming a small part of Mastercard's interchange fees should tell us a lot about the value of the duopoly that is MC / Visa.
                                                                                      Well their actual angle is they are going to be rolling out lending. The current accounts are merely their way of getting sufficient data to make decent lending decisions. It's going to be huge business. Mainly pay-in-installments. But they are also rolling out a payday lending facility where you can draw down cash based on your built up pay. It's quite a smart plan. Non exploitative too, I think, at first glance.
                                                                                      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                                      Comment



                                                                                        This being the view from my bedroom window is sadly, coming to an end.

                                                                                        SPOILER


                                                                                        Weather has been a little bit mixed all week but has been warm throughout (around 17 degrees but often felt warmer). Have managed to get a swim in every day (twice on one of the days) plus have eaten all the food and drank all the wine.

                                                                                        Mrs Lao Lao's youngest nephew became my new sticking plaster and I am apparently his new BFF (always trust the judgement of a 6 year old) Apparently my unique skill of knowing every single word to Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice combined with teaching him how to tie his laces cemented my number one position.

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                          Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

                                                                                          Well their actual angle is they are going to be rolling out lending. The current accounts are merely their way of getting sufficient data to make decent lending decisions. It's going to be huge business. Mainly pay-in-installments. But they are also rolling out a payday lending facility where you can draw down cash based on your built up pay. It's quite a smart plan. Non exploitative too, I think, at first glance.
                                                                                          Non exploitive payday loans? Hmmm

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                            Hit the 1 stone (6.35kg) down mark today after 6 weeks. About 15-17kg to go. Have done 515k steps this month so far, really getting audio books and net browsing packed in while out for nice walks is great.

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                              Originally posted by Mellor View Post

                                                                                              Non exploitive payday loans? Hmmm
                                                                                              Don't be asking Hitch questions anymore, you come to me for finance.

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                                Great to be back in Ireland lads. The actual scene from our lunch table earlier.

                                                                                                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                  Originally posted by Mellor View Post

                                                                                                  Non exploitive payday loans? Hmmm
                                                                                                  Here's the actual product. It seems genuinely non exploitative.

                                                                                                  https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...ally-1.4651039

                                                                                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                    Watched The Sparks Brothers last night (5 out 5 from both Mark Kermode and me) and it delivered in spades. Highly recommended off-beat look at one of pop's most oddball yet stimulating duo's

                                                                                                    Also watched The Curious Work of Roger Doyle which is on RTE Player and also gets the thumbs up as a gently undulating and twisting tale of one of Irish music's unsung heroes. If you heard Doyle's work this is a fantastic place to start and gives a great insight into his oeuvre and creative process.

                                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                                      Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                      Hit the 1 stone (6.35kg) down mark today after 6 weeks. About 15-17kg to go. Have done 515k steps this month so far, really getting audio books and net browsing packed in while out for nice walks is great.
                                                                                                      How many calories a day did you go for, to lose a kilo a week - about 1700? Going to use the next five weeks to get down five kg to a spot on 70-71kg, but ideally want to front load as have a suit fitting on September 10th.
                                                                                                      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                                        Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

                                                                                                        Here's the actual product. It seems genuinely non exploitative.

                                                                                                        https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...ally-1.4651039
                                                                                                        I’ll give it a read with an open mind tomorrow. But the whole area of the market is immediately stinking of grimeness

                                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                                          Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                          I’ll give it a read with an open mind tomorrow. But the whole area of the market is immediately stinking of grimeness
                                                                                                          Yeah. I used payday loans a lot in the UK in my excessive gambling days so am very familiar with them to my shame. This seems different despite the strange objections of the financial advisor at the end of the article which don't make sense given that we know the need for cash exists.
                                                                                                          ​​​
                                                                                                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                                            Told Illetas worth a small each way in the last at Curragh

                                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                                              Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                              With all the revolut talk, here's my referral link.

                                                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!AUG1AR

                                                                                                              Think we each get €40 if u
                                                                                                              Sign up
                                                                                                              Order a card (which comes in a nifty box)
                                                                                                              Make at least 3 transactions



                                                                                                              ​​​
                                                                                                              Ah balls. I signed up earlier.
                                                                                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

                                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                                                Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

                                                                                                                Pic?
                                                                                                                My misses choose the childminder alas so no pics needed

                                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                                  Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                                  Great to be back in Ireland lads. The actual scene from our lunch table earlier.

                                                                                                                  A liquid lunch.

                                                                                                                  Where was that?
                                                                                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                                    Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

                                                                                                                    A liquid lunch.

                                                                                                                    Where was that?
                                                                                                                    Jamie's Italian. Won't have a word said against it, their pasta is ridiculously good.

                                                                                                                    Although Toscana in Dun Laoghaire served me a duck ragu pasta a few weeks ago that I still dream about. But Jamie's are no slouches.
                                                                                                                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                                                      Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

                                                                                                                      Jamie's Italian. Won't have a word said against it, their pasta is ridiculously good.

                                                                                                                      Although Toscana in Dun Laoghaire served me a duck ragu pasta a few weeks ago that I still dream about. But Jamie's are no slouches.
                                                                                                                      You should check out That’s Amore in Monkstown. Great pasta and fun spot.

                                                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                                                        Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

                                                                                                                        Jamie's Italian. Won't have a word said against it
                                                                                                                        Kip was the word that sprang to mind. Deep flooding is an improvement.
                                                                                                                        Person...Woman...Man......Camera..TV

                                                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                                                          Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                                                                                          Watched The Sparks Brothers last night (5 out 5 from both Mark Kermode and me) and it delivered in spades. Highly recommended off-beat look at one of pop's most oddball yet stimulating duo's

                                                                                                                          Also watched The Curious Work of Roger Doyle which is on RTE Player and also gets the thumbs up as a gently undulating and twisting tale of one of Irish music's unsung heroes. If you heard Doyle's work this is a fantastic place to start and gives a great insight into his oeuvre and creative process.
                                                                                                                          I was wondering what you thought of it all right. I loved it . I was really taken by the lads .

                                                                                                                          Comment

                                                                                                                          Working...
                                                                                                                          X