This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
    I'm trying to think of a regime I would take over America in any conflict they have been involved in. Any good suggestions?
    I'm not sure there is a regime. The best you can do is hope you are aligned to the regime that shares the same interests .
    For us that is the US for others it isnt. Innocents die to protect the interests of othere , we are mostly uneasy but maintain a degree of comfort about it . Do Irish vegans care if Iraqi pigs get slaughtered ? Maybe they do but probably dont afford the same degree of sympathy to Iraqi humans.

Climate change will shape world politics in the next decade. Let's hope we pull together on it. We dont know how lucky we are to be Irish/Ireland imo.

Comment

I'm trying to think of a regime I would take over America in any conflict they have been involved in. Any good suggestions?
      It's a decent thought exercise. But maybe one for the populations themselves to determine, not the US, or us. These are rarely invited and popular invasions by the US.
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

We surely don't think the solution is to not build more highly profitable power plants to service the data centres? Bring them all here and build the capacity.

I wouldn't believe that Sunday Business Post stuff. There's some sort of agenda being played out by some business group that wants a piece of some pie. Or at least it has a smell of that. Like the way the main opposition to the situation of the children's hospital was a crowd who owned a field they wanted to put the hospital in. Someone is pumping up the data centre story to make money out of it. Hence why its in Sunday Business Post which has no audience and only really exists to give the dodgier lobbyists who can't afford the Indo a platform.
        Bit insulted that you think I would be reading the Sunday business post tbh
        Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

So these idiots who punched an Olympic martial arts guy got really lucky, I'd imagine if the sucker punch missed one or two of them were getting badly hurt. Pity

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
            Guatemala too. CC will know more than we do.
            Meh lost interest fairly swiftly in that stuff 30 years ago. Vaguely remember a hastily convened on/off meeting in the middle of fucking nowhere with a bunch of lads from the FMLN, at a time when the Sandinistas were publicly denying having anything to do with them. Pretty scary people, that you could tell were more interested or used to fighting than talking.
            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
              So these idiots who punched an Olympic martial arts guy got really lucky, I'd imagine if the sucker punch missed one or two of them were getting badly hurt. Pity
              I saw the pics he posted on Twitter. They look horrific. Cant imagine what he must have gone through to end up looking like that. A horrendous attack.

And yeah, like you say. Awful pity they jumped him and he hadn't the chance to defend himself.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                For the snooker heads. Bit of a grudge match on at the British open now with former partners Mark Allen and Rheanne Evan's, who have had very public falling outs, playing in the 1st round. A bit of an over enthusiastic member of the audience shouting for Evan's after every shot she takes.

On a side note, John Higgins opened with a 147 in the 1st frame of the first match earlier.
                Allen wins a decent match 3-2. Was weird watching it. Could almost feel the hatred lol. She will be sick after having the opportunity to win it at 2-1 up.

Comment

Allen wins a decent match 3-2. Was weird watching it. Could almost feel the hatred lol. She will be sick after having the opportunity to win it at 2-1 up.
                  That was great fun, first game with Judd was decent as well.

I'd wonder what state Allen's finances are in - theoretically he's got a £250K a year expectation from snooker but two sets of alimony can't be fun especially as Reanne doesn't look like she'd be a pushover.
                  Opening a snooker hall in February 2020 was obviously very unfortunate. Declared bankrupt a few months ago, so I guess he's only getting a very small amount of anything he wins which can't make it easy to put the practise in.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post

Good for you breathing through a dirty bit of cloth is very good for you long term. If you want to become a hermit that’s fine. Was out Friday night has to finish Andy fbs cider as they stopped serving at 11.10 another joke of a restriction. Find it incredible they are blaming the hacking for not being able to show the deaths but the numbers are churned out daily with gusto. People are psyching themselves up for another lockdown many are wondering what was the point in getting vaccinated.
                    Anyone wondering the point in getting vaccinated is an idiot.

Comment

They've been in well over a hundred conflicts so I'd imagine it's unlikely you can't find one

Comment

I love Nolans films generally, but I thought this was very funny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2FXfFeRtJo

Comment

Wait, are there top level women snooker pros now?

News to me although the last time I watched snooker, the players were still smoking and drinking.
                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

They've been in well over a hundred conflicts so I'd imagine it's unlikely you can't find one
                            As HH noted, it's an interesting thought exercise (although one I note he failed to undertake).

If we engage in it for the post Cold War period, it's very hard to find an example.

Comment

Flashes of genuine anger in Biden's remarks last night I thought, when referring to the Afghani leadership and soldiers who ran away and deserted their posts.

May not have been the time for it but definitely a lot of truth in that I thought.

Comment

Wait, are there top level women snooker pros now?

News to me although the last time I watched snooker, the players were still smoking and drinking.
                                Not really 'top level' - the two top players from the low-key women's tour got given a card to the main tour but there's no expectation that they'll compete in any meaningful way.

Comment

A decent point from the Dublin CoCo manager about wtf are they doing letting the city be a tent city when there is adequate hostel accommodation. They had a whole setup of stalls with food, clothes, etc on Grafton Street Saturday night a few weeks ago. It really doesn't seem like that's the way these main streets should be allocated.

Presumably the hostel isn't as flexible as a tent. But maybe thats something that can be fixed. I'm not sure there's any reasonable outcome that involves turning the city centre into a homeless base full of tents when accommodation actually exists.

Comment

Flashes of genuine anger in Biden's remarks last night I thought, when referring to the Afghani leadership and soldiers who ran away and deserted their posts.

May not have been the time for it but definitely a lot of truth in that I thought.
                                    This is all part of the US misunderstanding. Presumably any Afghan expert, a real expert from Afghan, would have been able to explain how inevitable this was. How the Afghan fear of the Taliban military might was so visceral that there was no chance they would stand up for it. Yet the US with its trillion dollar a year military and intelligence budget couldn't work it out. Its deeply flawed of Biden to stand there and express disappointment at these people (in fear of their lives on minimum pay) and not his own military intelligence apparatus.

Comment

For the snooker heads. Bit of a grudge match on at the British open now with former partners Mark Allen and Rheanne Evan's, who have had very public falling outs, playing in the 1st round. A bit of an over enthusiastic member of the audience shouting for Evan's after every shot she takes.

On a side note, John Higgins opened with a 147 in the 1st frame of the first match earlier.
                                      "Hi Mark, and congratulations on beating your ex-wife"

Comment

Ten years married today. Not quite extraordinarily smooth sailing. But we're here enjoying our holidays happy with each other and happy with our kids and hopefully going back to nice jobs and a nice home that we worked together to achieve.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Not really 'top level' - the two top players from the low-key women's tour got given a card to the main tour but there's no expectation that they'll compete in any meaningful way.
                                          Had a discussion recently with the missus . Apart from numbers playing . Is there any reason why a woman could not be in the worlds top 10 snooker players . Physically I dont see one. So it's a numbers game right ?

Comment

Ten years married today. Not quite extraordinarily smooth sailing. But we're here enjoying our holidays happy with each other and happy with our kids and hopefully going back to nice jobs and a nice home that we worked together to achieve.
                                            I've never met your missus but she is a remarkable lady.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Had a discussion recently with the missus . Apart from numbers playing . Is there any reason why a woman could not be in the worlds top 10 snooker players . Physically I dont see one. So it's a numbers game right ?
                                              Physically an average woman is going to have to play a lot more shots with the rest than an average man, so that's a minor disadvantage. But obviously short stubby men have won at snooker so it's not an impossible barrier.
                                              Personally I see it as more of a 'why would you bother?' situation. People tend to be good at multiple sports and pick one. (We've often posted here about how XXX who's a pro at one sport probably could have made it at a different sport as well).
                                              If a girl is showing promise at say cricket, golf, soccer and snooker then she'd be mad to stick with snooker. The other sports offer a segregated path to being able to make a decent living. A unisex sport like snooker gives you an absolute mountain to climb, and isn't even that lucrative outside the top 16.

Comment

This is all part of the US misunderstanding. Presumably any Afghan expert, a real expert from Afghan, would have been able to explain how inevitable this was.
                                                You should have emailed them to let them know. This one's on you.

Comment

The fear and treatment of women is the problem. Instead of arming 300k lily livered Afgans to defend against 40k Taliban. Train 150k strong minded women and arm them . I bet the resistance would be far superior. After all ain't these fuckers afraid of women

I know genius

Comment

You should have emailed them to let them know. This one's on you.
                                                    In fairness, Trump was renowned for not listening to his experts. I have little doubt he was warned of the likely consequences of his policy.

HH seems to assume those US experts either don't exist or else don't know what they're doing. The problem is that their advice goes ignored.

Comment

In the previous Taliban reign women needed written permission from a man to go out. And I imagine the literacy rate of Afghan men was not universally spectacular across the country.

Comment

Remember the first impeachment trials? There was an impressive cast of genuine experts wheeled out to be questioned by the panel.

Fiona Hill was one who really stood out for example. Genuine expert on Russia. Did her advice get followed by the Trump administration? No chance.

You saw it in more dramatic ways during the pandemic where Trump rushed to undermine his own experts.

Comment

bqob62wg0sh71.png?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=54ea41faff574f7ac4fc5fecd81baae54d48726b.png
                                                          Ryanair will be getting ideas from the flights out of Kabul.

Look at them, not a mask among them. A few of the more ethically minded women wearing snoods.

Comment

Remember the first impeachment trials? There was an impressive cast of genuine experts wheeled out to be questioned by the panel.

Fiona Hill was one who really stood out for example. Genuine expert on Russia. Did her advice get followed by the Trump administration? No chance.

You saw it in more dramatic ways during the pandemic where Trump rushed to undermine his own experts.
                                                            Did you read her book about Putin? Meant to get a copy, but so out of the habit of reading that I didn't bother. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mr-Putin-Op...s%2C175&sr=8-2
                                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                              There are many things I never expect to see, but I am pretty sure that Mariah Carey launching an Irish Cream Liqueur called Black Irish was pretty much at the very top of the list.
                                                              Did you not copyright that brand name
                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

In fairness, Trump was renowned for not listening to his experts. I have little doubt he was warned of the likely consequences of his policy.

HH seems to assume those US experts either don't exist or else don't know what they're doing. The problem is that their advice goes ignored.
                                                                That's makes sense.

Although in either case, dating back at least to the time of JFK they arent getting value for money. I'd guess investing that in their own country and their own people would have led to far better outcomes for the USA. Maybe illness wouldn't be the leading cause of bankruptcy.
                                                                Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 17-08-21, 11:24.

Comment

more than a whiff of the Contras from the Afganhi armed forces.
                                                                  Seems like it was a useful doss job right up until the US were no longer there to pay the bills
                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

A decent point from the Dublin CoCo manager about wtf are they doing letting the city be a tent city when there is adequate hostel accommodation. They had a whole setup of stalls with food, clothes, etc on Grafton Street Saturday night a few weeks ago. It really doesn't seem like that's the way these main streets should be allocated.

Presumably the hostel isn't as flexible as a tent. But maybe thats something that can be fixed. I'm not sure there's any reasonable outcome that involves turning the city centre into a homeless base full of tents when accommodation actually exists.
                                                                    The last thing I'd call it is a decent point from him. There has been more than enough investigations into the state of the hostels in Dublin with drug use, beatings and theft absolutely rampant. The general theme is anyone who doesnt do drugs and wants to try and stay safe feel they're better off on the streets than in a hostel.

A decent point for him to make would be to say that he is in the process of creating social housing for those people who are in genuine need and that will be his way to "clean up the streets" so to speak instead of wanting to make tents illegal. It really is a stupidly silly point from a pretty high ranking official.

Sometimes I read stuff you post here and almost wish you posted in on Twitter just so I could see you whip "the mob" up into a frenzy and this is one of those things.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Did you read her book about Putin? Meant to get a copy, but so out of the habit of reading that I didn't bother. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mr-Putin-Op...s%2C175&sr=8-2
                                                                      No, reading the reviews it sounds a bit dry though!

Might read the Masha Gessen one instead.

Comment

I like the way we BBVers have, perhaps subconciously, comingled the two themes of Afghanistan and Dublin city centre homelessness without ever being so indelicate as to mention the linking factor

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                          I think the 2km limit was the last time I felt restricted.
                                                                          Can we talk about this post for a min? It must be nice that your life is unperturbed but many of us are desperate to resume our mindless binge drinking, whoring and gambling lifestyles.
                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

Can we talk about this post for a min? It must be nice that your life is unperturbed but many of us are desperate to resume our mindless binge drinking, whoring and gambling lifestyles.
                                                                            You can do all those things today. Although by the sounds of sickpuppy's derisive comment, you don't have the stamina for them anymore....

Comment

Link?

​​​​​​Did he explain his understanding of the term adequate?
                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

He did not explain at all, just that they exist so therefore they are good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Link?

​​​​​​Did he explain his understanding of the term adequate?

Yeah not great. I'd say the hostels are grim and doubt you'd fancy one if you're mentally ill or suffer from paranoia. It was a poorly worded way to say but i get his sentiment re town being edgy. I'm sure everyone does.

It's worse than edgy though. it's fucking rough in there at the moment.
                                                                                  Walked into Sole on South William St last Friday at 6:30. It was warm and slightly sunny outside, the smell of food and outdoor diners everywhere really felt like i was away. Was lovely.
                                                                                  Emerged from Sole at 9:30 and it was a different place. It was rotten. The outdoor diners were still there with tracksuit wearing scald everywhere drinking cans. Seen two heated confrontations on the short walk to Fade St and couldn't believe the amount of people just sitting around drinking outside Grogans. Was like a sit down protest. In the hour sitting outside Fade Street having a beer i seen 3 men giving aggressive chase whilst roaring to another guy. Bouncing into punters as they do and hurting one older lady. The outdoor area of Drury buildings was getting booted by every 10th group that walked by it. And of course begging that's on par with the time i spent a week in Phnom Penh.

Cycled down the quays plenty over the summer at night too and the Boardwalk is on flying form also.

Comment

Yeah the city doesn't feel great atm. Some Garda presence would be nice for a start! You feel so much safer in a lot of European cities with visible police.

With the tent thing I'm not sure who gives out tents, most of the charities wouldn't even give out sleeping bags, as the policy of the central homeless system was that you rang for a hostel, and if they did t have a bed for you at about 10pm or so you got a sleeping bag

My guess is some of the smaller charities that have popped up are providing tents, but if a tent is more attractive than the hostel offerings in Irish weather they are clearly far from adequate, not that most don't already know that.
                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Keegan thinks hes 28. And I just know by the look of him he plays squash. The bandana around his wrist tells a story.

Comment

Despite the volume of antagonists, I really don't think it's that unlikely at all. There's a lot of shitty places on that list.

As HH noted, it's an interesting thought exercise (although one I note he failed to undertake).

If we engage in it for the post Cold War period, it's very hard to find an example.
                                                                                        I think you'd be going back 100 years prior to the Cold war before it's getting even close. These one flakey example, but it's more of a case of an enemy's ally rather than direct conflict with the US

Comment

Dublin needs a shanty town with corrugated iron houses. Maybe a Hamsterdam off Thomas Street somewhere or perhaps around Sean McDermott Street / Railway Street / Foley Street area. With roaming bands of Talibanesque scrotes enforcing Sheriffer Law such as ensuring men are wearing grey tracksuit bottoms and women have their midfriffs uncovered.

Comment

Keegan's comments were completely planned. It wasn't just some off the cuff remark - he knew exactly what he was doing and were quite shocking from somebody in his position.

There is enough beds in Dublin to accommodate all the homeless people but they are not all adequate, not by a long shot. If somebody feels safer sleeping in a tent on the streets rather than going into a hostel, that says it all about the safety of the hostel.

Also, there seemed to be an insinuation that tents on the streets made the city feel more edgy, when in reality it's due to the fact that there is lots of feral teenagers roaming around totally unchallenged by the Guards. While, thankfully, I've never felt unsafe in Dublin, I have noticed more and more of them about the city centre over the last 18 months.

I can understand why a CEO of a capital city wouldn't want to have tents on the city streets containing homeless people but for a person in that position, with the power and funds to be able to fix the issue, to comment that we should just ban the tents is absolutely woeful and shows just how out of touch he is with, not just reality, but with the job is he employed to do.

Comment

Are the appearance of tents on the main streets of the city centre related to hostels being as they are? The hostels have been the way they are for a long time, the tents appearing on city centre streets is a lockdown era phenomenon. The homeless figures have gone down since the start of lockdown so the tents there aren't being caused by increased numbers.

So I can only conclude that either somebody is donating tents or the Gardai stopped intervening or both. I agree with Keegan (and no offence to Lao Lao or anyone who has been involved) that a lot of well meaning groups are not actually helping the homeless problem in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Despite the volume of antagonists, I really don't think it's that unlikely at all. There's a lot of shitty places on that list.
                                                                                                Chile springs to mind immediately

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

I think you'd be going back 100 years prior to the Cold war before it's getting even close. These one flakey example, but it's more of a case of an enemy's ally rather than direct conflict with the US
                                                                                                  Ah, you'd find a few. Mossadegh as I mentioned plus the Guatemalan lad whose name I forget.

Does Allende count?

Comment

There was a documentary on RTE at the start of the year that interviewed a good few of the homeless in Dublin called "Stuck in the Rough". A few of them in that documentary were sleeping in tents and they all cited not feeling safe in the hostels as the reason. I'm not sure it is a new phenomenon or an increased one but just more noticeable areas are being used.

Comment

Me-hall on the rte sports news is a gas ticket with the multicolored socks. Lets make sure to show the socks now.

Comment

So I can only conclude that either somebody is donating tents or the Gardai stopped intervening or both. I agree with Keegan (and no offence to Lao Lao or anyone who has been involved) that a lot of well meaning groups are not actually helping the homeless problem in the long run.
                                                                                                        It can be split into two problems though, 1 the wellbeing of the people while they are on the street, which is what the majority of the groups try to tackle, provide some food, a chat, some clothes etc, i dont think providing these kind of things are keeping anybody on the street. The 2nd is the problem of actual homelessness which the majority of these groups dont really try to tackle at all, so im not sure what you mean by the above.

The main problem in my opinion is theres too many groups, all well meaning and no coordination. If the efforts of all the people and funds used by all the groups were centralised a lot more could be done. Theres some nights theres several options of sources of food for homeless folk, and feck all other nights for example.

The tent you are right about, theres someone more recently that are providing tents, but if the appearance of tents pushes powers that be to improve the quality of accommodation available i see it as a good thing.
                                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

As soon as I'm a local tax payer I'll do my bit by only voting for councillors who want the local tax raised by 15%, but I'm not sure (dobby) it's really all that wrong to not want homeless people camping on the main streets. The whole city centre is a mess. It's filthy. It doesn't feel welcoming. It doesn't feel safe. Part of the issue is the tents and all the apparatus that has built up around it. Like I don't think the answer is "well if we solve the homeless problem then we won't have tents". There will always be some temporary flow of homeless, or people who want to sleep in tents rather than hostels so they can inject, drink. Maybe there could be more "wet" beds, where people can do those things indoors, but I guess there will always be some on the streets. I don't think it's wrong to say that the tents can't be parked on Henry Street or Grafton Street, or the GPO. Like, it's not something mean to say.

Comment

Anyway I'll bow to the superior thoughts of Honda on the matter (and I think Lao Lao) who actually work with the homeless.

Comment

Anyway I'll bow to the superior thoughts of Honda on the matter (and I think Lao Lao) who actually work with the homeless.
                                                                                                              A rare moment of clarity, well done!

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

It can be split into two problems
                                                                                                                My point is that they're not two problems which should be split. Facilitating homeless people not engaging in services which can offer both caring for their well-being of a day and more structural services which may offer a path out is a problem.

Comment

On the US discussion, it's important to remember the unconscious biases we all have. We live in an American world, we watch American shows, half our financial lives are in dollars, since the outbreak of Friends (the show) we speak American & Raoul goes to sleep each night ranking the presidents in order of haberdashery. It's going to be hard not to be emotionally biased towards them.

Comment

I like the way we BBVers have, perhaps subconciously, comingled the two themes of Afghanistan and Dublin city centre homelessness without ever being so indelicate as to mention the linking factor
                                                                                                                    I mentioned the oul gear the other day.
                                                                                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Such a beautiful spot, Chania
                                                                                                                      IMG_20210817_205929.jpg
                                                                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Finland is the only country in the EU to see a decrease in homelessness. They went with radical structural changes towards a housing-first policy, completely phasing out shelters. I remember watching a documentary where they went through the economics of it showing how it is much more cost-effective in the long run and they are recently really reaping the benefits but it takes a huge big picture approach to implement those changes and they probably have other competitive advantages toward that approach which we don't have I would guess.

Comment

Raoul goes to sleep each night ranking the presidents in order of haberdashery.
                                                                                                                          Busted.

Only one of them was an actual haberdasher. Also my favourite president.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X