This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post

Is that standard salary for entry level positions these days? Seems low to me.
    I thought the same but didnt want to question it as I've no idea about the industry these days. But I was on more than that when I started working in a warehouse.

Comment

You wouldn't be able to afford lunch in Sandyford on that wage lol
      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I was thinking it's a handy number sitting at home for someone but not exactly get out of bed money
        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

I thought the same but didnt want to question it as I've no idea about the industry these days. But I was on more than that when I started working in a warehouse.
          Is it not standard enough for a CS role with zero experience or education needed.

It’s going to be mostly phone calls from customers on a range of issues and you answer from a script (ish) or escalate I’d imagine.

is it a bad salary for that?

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Yoiks
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Yoiks v 2.0

Comment

This is what Test Match cricket is all about.

You invest a lot of time and emotional energy surreptitiously watching\checking the score for five days, just hoping you get theatre like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                  This is what Test Match cricket is all about.

You invest a lot of time and emotional energy surreptitiously watching\checking the score for five days, just hoping you get theatre like this.
                  Still time for further swongs

FEFXasd.png
                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

absolutely fucking terrifying. Disaster Movie stuff.
                    Are you terrified ? It’s going to be worse for any man without a zz top like beard and the poor woman and children. The limp
                    dick that is the un is meeting but I find it hard to see how a peace keeping force could be established now the Taliban are back in power.

Comment

Fair play to Buttler, he's buttling away having been given a life.

Comment

I think the tension is getting to the umpires as that was stone cold. Good job India had reviews in the bank.

Comment

Fair play to Buttler, he's buttling away having been given a life.
                          Unconscionable use of the BBV by me tbf. UL Jos.

Jimmy has done this before though...

Comment

If that gets Burns and Sibley dropped for all eternity, that'll be a double result imo.

WP strewel, hope you didn't green up

Comment

If that gets Burns and Sibley dropped for all eternity, that'll be a double result imo.

WP strewel, hope you didn't green up
                              Great stuff from India. Who needs The Hundred when you have this kind of quality
                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

SPOILER

Last England at bat

SPOILER

Indian Bowler, got em.

Comment

Was reading a John Simpson piece about the Taliban when it was in power before:

The Taliban minister of health, Mullah Balouch, complained to me that the International Red Cross refused his request to provide surgeons to cut off the hands and feet of convicted thieves, so he had to do the job personally; though he seemed to quite enjoy it.
                                  Makes Stephen Donnelly seem alright.

Comment

This is quite worrying. It seems like they are thinking of carrying on with corona restrictions for loads longer based on the language here:

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/...-40757500.html

I was massively in favour of restrictions while we were all unvaccinated, but now it seems that vaccines don't count for much? We could be seeing restrictions for years longer in that case as there's no further vaccination solution beyond vaccinating everyone. Which we've nearly done.

I wonder if we need a bit of cop on. Call an end to the daily announcements. Have the politicians step up and go "it's going to continue but we as a society need to move on. If you're not vaccinated and are at risk, then thats on you at this point".
                                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Is it not standard enough for a CS role with zero experience or education needed.

It’s going to be mostly phone calls from customers on a range of issues and you answer from a script (ish) or escalate I’d imagine.

is it a bad salary for that?
                                      Above average for the role in question i'd say.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                        This is quite worrying. It seems like they are thinking of carrying on with corona restrictions for loads longer based on the language here:

I was massively in favour of restrictions while we were all unvaccinated, but now it seems that vaccines don't count for much? We could be seeing restrictions for years longer in that case as there's no further vaccination solution beyond vaccinating everyone. Which we've nearly done.

I wonder if we need a bit of cop on. Call an end to the daily announcements. Have the politicians step up and go "it's going to continue but we as a society need to move on. If you're not vaccinated and are at risk, then thats on you at this point".
                                        It was really the only solution to the M50 gridlock crises .

Comment

I wonder if we need a bit of cop on. Call an end to the daily announcements.
                                          Data is good. Information is power. Why would you want to hide the facts?

Have the politicians step up and go "it's going to continue but we as a society need to move on. If you're not vaccinated and are at risk, then thats on you at this point".
                                          I thought that pretty much was the message!

Comment

We are just ~63% of a population fully vaccinated I think. They are just saying we need to get further along?

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

We are just ~63% of a population fully vaccinated I think. They are just saying we need to get further along?
                                              Ah yeah but they aren't winding down the caution as if they see an endgame - they are talking like there is no endgame. When other (sensible not crazy) countries, like Denmark, are lifting everything. So we're likely going to be in a state of semi pandemic for another year at this stage. Its just a long time!!

Comment

Data is good. Information is power. Why would you want to hide the facts?

I thought that pretty much was the message!
                                                Well on the news. If we keep reporting it daily it will keep being the top news story daily - because its a very easy story to write. So we're not going to mentally move on. It's not about hiding the facts its just about reflecting on the way we react to news.

Re your second point. When I was reading that article in the Indo it didn't sound like the message is that it'll be over soon. It sounded like that are wondering about schools. So theres no let up. We're not really moving beyond corona and just getting back to living normally. Maybe it needs to be like that, but it is disappointing that vaccines aren't the end that was promised. We're going to be sitting in meetings wearing masks for another year at least by the looks of it.

Comment

Well on the news. If we keep reporting it daily it will keep being the top news story daily - because its a very easy story to write. So we're not going to mentally move on. It's not about hiding the facts its just about reflecting on the way we react to news.
                                                  It's not the top news story today...

We're adults. We live in a democracy. We can handle statistics.

Re your second point. When I was reading that article in the Indo it didn't sound like the message is that it'll be over soon. It sounded like that are wondering about schools. So theres no let up. We're not really moving beyond corona and just getting back to living normally. Maybe it needs to be like that, but it is disappointing that vaccines aren't the end that was promised. We're going to be sitting in meetings wearing masks for another year at least by the looks of it.
                                                  Don't read the Indo.

Again, these are just facts. There is no magic reset button that goes to 'December 2019 setting', much aa we would like it to.

Comment

I'm not questioning some of the awful things China do to preserve their absolute power. And that isn't unique to China, we saw with Abu Gharib the US did almost exactly that form of torture to Iraqis. But the flaw is that we judge an entire nation that we don't understand - all facets of the nation - based on these individual stories. But we don't judge a nation we know better, the US, based on the exact same practices.

This is not whataboutery btw - the first comparison was between the US and the supposed Chinese treatment of the Afghanis. When the first you can think of is something we have actual pictures of the US army carrying out in a country they invaded.

The point I was making is distinct, that China isn't interested like the US in international warmongering. They have been mainly (brutally) occupied in their history, not those seeking out international fights like the US. Yet you saying 'let's see how they treat the Afghanis', is you extrapolating from a domestic story (at least in Chinese eyes) to assume international behaviour.

And I know the point of describing the torture as you did is to make it look bad for me to respond. But my response originally was to your point about Afghan, you've now changed it to something else entirely.
                                                    China is the last few decades has fought with most of their neighbours for it's own ends.

The US lost their way in recent times, but spent most of the last century getting involved for altruistic purposes.

Could you see China getting involved in something like Kosovo?

Comment

I think the 2km limit was the last time I felt restricted.
                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

China is the last few decades has fought with most of their neighbours for it's own ends.

The US lost their way in recent times, but spent most of the last century getting involved for altruistic purposes.

Could you see China getting involved in something like Kosovo?
                                                        The vast vast vast majority of US involvement overseas was self interested and wrong for the country itself. Ergo every single engagement in South America.

I can see China being involved in a UN lead mission to Kosovo, but not acting by themselves. They are involved in quite a few such missions, no?

​​​​​​​China's border disputes are not quite the same as what the US does to the world. The US is a nasty self interested destructive global presence. I don't think there's any doubt about that. I definitely don't think China will be an improvement, except in that they just don't have the same interest in global war mongering. Maybe boss around a few neighbours. They've never had a global interest beyond trade.

Comment

It's not the top news story today...

We're adults. We live in a democracy. We can handle statistics.

Don't read the Indo.

Again, these are just facts. There is no magic reset button that goes to 'December 2019 setting', much aa we would like it to.
                                                          I personally want a government that is seriously thinking about a definitive exit point. I'd imagine thats a majority view also.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                            Ah it would just be nice for it not to be an eternal war. Especially when other smart countries like Denmark are declaring an end.

Comment

I personally want a government that is seriously thinking about a definitive exit point. I'd imagine thats a majority view also.
                                                              But that's my point: there is no such thing as a clean exit point. We will be living with this, in ways we don't yet comprehend, for years and possibly decades.

Wanting a clean exit point is understandable. You're not going to get one though.

Comment

The vast vast vast majority of US involvement overseas was self interested and wrong for the country itself. Ergo every single engagement in South America.
                                                                WW1 and 2?

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

It appears that not only are you quite correct, but it is within shouting distance of a century since they were called that. My favourite branch of it is the People's Liberation Army Rocket Force.

I am fantastically ignorant about China. I did look for a good history book on them to listen to recently, but I didn't come up with one. If anyone has one, or one that isn't technically a history book that would do the job I would be interested.
                                                                  These are on my list for this year:
                                                                  Fairbank, John King
                                                                  China: A New History

Fairbank, John King
                                                                  The Chinese World Order: Traditional China's Foreign Relations,

Kissinger, Henry
                                                                  On China

Lao Tzu Tao Te Ching

Comment

Stockholm syndrome.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Above average for the role in question i'd say.
                                                                      Yes, in general we pay better than competitors, plus offer a very decent bonus and full range of benefits to all positions. Package is considerably better than available elsewhere I'd say for most who work for us.

Comment

WW1 and 2?
                                                                        Yikes, having to go back a century. But sure, those and tiny Kosovo. So that leaves a few hundred - including all the most recent - conflicts that are destructive and ill intentioned. They are currently and have been for many decades and awful presence in the world. Overall probably the worst global player of the last 50 years.

Comment

But that's my point: there is no such thing as a clean exit point. We will be living with this, in ways we don't yet comprehend, for years and possibly decades.

Wanting a clean exit point is understandable. You're not going to get one though.
                                                                          I get the impression we're not even trying to achieve one. That we're happy enough for things to continue as a proxy pandemic for another year or two. While everyone else gets on with life.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post

Stockholm syndrome.
                                                                            ​​​​​​I'm at a point in my life where a social life is on hold anyway so it has had little effect.

The 2km restrictions impacted my running though, that was sucky.

I love masks, have forgotten bad breath exists.
                                                                            Last edited by Lazare; 16-08-21, 19:59.
                                                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Stockholm syndrome.
                                                                              It's really starting to look like that. I was looking at all these kids clubs and they're not sure they can run this year. That would be three years of no after school activities. The place I booked for the kids birthday isn't sure they can serve cake. We've gone mad. These aren't medical guidelines. Or if they are, we need to give the kids a break and punish another age group. Or just start looking at how we definitively can return to normal. I suspect we haven't given it the strong consideration that other countries have.

Comment

The US is a nasty self interested destructive global presence. I don't think there's any doubt about that.
                                                                                Unless you're trolling I wasn't aware that you held such a view.

Comment

Yikes, having to go back a century. But sure, those and tiny Kosovo. So that leaves a few hundred - including all the most recent - conflicts that are destructive and ill intentioned. They are currently and have been for many decades and awful presence in the world. Overall probably the worst global player of the last 50 years.
                                                                                  As I know you're not great on historical facts, let's challenge this with some specifics, here's the US military adventures in the post Cold War period.
                                                                                  1. Gulf War 1 - good (although with hindsight, they should have gone all the way to Baghdad and toppled Saddam)
                                                                                  2. UNOSOM - good. Saved huge amounts of civilian lives.
                                                                                  3. Haiti - good. Toppled a military coup.
                                                                                  4. Serbia - good. Saved Bosnian\Croatian civilian lives.
                                                                                  5. Afghanistan/Sudan (missile strikes on Al Qaeda targets in retaliation for USS Cole) - good (again with hindsight, didn't go far enough)
                                                                                  6. Kosovo - good. Saved Kosovan civilian lives.
                                                                                  7. Afghan invasion - undecided. They did overthrow the Taliban and chase out AQ but (a) failed to catch the AQ leadership and (b), clearly made an almighty bollix of the nation building project. Can't see that they had much choice post 9/11 but to invade, especially when the Taliban clearly sided with Bin Laden.
                                                                                  8. Gulf War 2 - very bad obv. A group of lunatics hijacked GWB's administration and a weak president went along.
                                                                                  9. Libya - similar to Afghanistan. Brutal dictator overthrown (good) but an even worse mess ensued.
                                                                                  10. Syria - good intentions (did wipe out the ISIS Caliphate) but Assad is still there, thanks mainly to the support of Vladz Ladz.
                                                                                  Score: 6 good, 3 messy, one very bad.

It would be interesting to test that against Russian exploits in the same period.

Comment

Unless you're trolling I wasn't aware that you held such a view.
                                                                                    I don't think I ever knowingly troll! Find the idea of trolling quite mean.

I think the US is a destructive negative force. The EU seems the only well intentioned global force.

Comment

It's really starting to look like that. I was looking at all these kids clubs and they're not sure they can run this year. That would be three years of no after school activities. The place I booked for the kids birthday isn't sure they can serve cake. We've gone mad. These aren't medical guidelines. Or if they are, we need to give the kids a break and punish another age group. Or just start looking at how we definitively can return to normal. I suspect we haven't given it the strong consideration that other countries have.
                                                                                      You should read Premonition. I found it fascinating, especially how the models for containing a pandemic in the pre-vaccine phase were developed.

Comment

I don't think I ever knowingly troll! Find the idea of trolling quite mean.

I think the US is a destructive negative force. The EU seems the only well intentioned global force.
                                                                                        The UN?

Comment

All right Raoul. Starting by stating the Gulf War 1 was good. Jaysus. You've gone far too far down the rabbit hole of americania. Irretrievable.

Comment

The UN?
                                                                                            Oh yeah. Just completely forgot them!

Comment

All right Raoul. Starting by stating the Gulf War 1 was good. Jaysus. You've gone far too far down the rabbit hole of americania. Irretrievable.
                                                                                              Explain.

Iraq (vicious dictatorship) invaded Kuwait.

What else should the UN have done in response?

Comment

You should read Premonition. I found it fascinating, especially how the models for containing a pandemic in the pre-vaccine phase were developed.
                                                                                                Oh my god. There's a new Michael Lewis?! Fucking A.

Comment

Explain.

Iraq (vicious dictatorship) invaded Kuwait.

What else should the UN have done in response?
                                                                                                  One vicious dictator invades another dictator (you forgot to mention the Kuwaiti dictatorship, also vicious, massive human rights abuses there also). Let's have a war to kill a few hundred thousand people as a 'good solution'. Come on. I'm not sure we have to think with only the monkey part of our brains forever.

Comment

One vicious dictator invades another dictator (you forgot to mention the Kuwaiti dictatorship, also vicious, massive human rights abuses there also). Let's have a war to kill a few hundred thousand people as a 'good solution'. Come on. I'm not sure we have to think with only the monkey part of our brains forever.
                                                                                                    Pointless diversionary polemics aside, I still don't see your alternative solution here (as didn't the Security Council). What should the UN have done differently?

Comment

So eirgrid scrambling to avoid blackouts this winter while data centres which are going to be eating 30% of of our grid capacity by 2030 keep getting approved
                                                                                                      All that precious juice and water being wasted to power apps that do nothing but undermine civil society. Crazy bit of business
                                                                                                      Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

​​​​​​I'm at a point in my life where a social life is on hold anyway so it has had little effect.

The 2km restrictions impacted my running though, that was sucky.

I love masks, have forgotten bad breath exists.
                                                                                                        Good for you breathing through a dirty bit of cloth is very good for you long term. If you want to become a hermit that’s fine. Was out Friday night has to finish Andy fbs cider as they stopped serving at 11.10 another joke of a restriction. Find it incredible they are blaming the hacking for not being able to show the deaths but the numbers are churned out daily with gusto. People are psyching themselves up for another lockdown many are wondering what was the point in getting vaccinated.

Comment

Everything is going to be okay in Afghanistan Micheal Martin has asked the Taliban to respect humanitarian law I’m sure they are listening.

Comment

Good for you breathing through a dirty bit of cloth is very good for you long term. If you want to become a hermit that’s fine. Was out Friday night has to finish Andy fbs cider as they stopped serving at 11.10 another joke of a restriction. Find it incredible they are blaming the hacking for not being able to show the deaths but the numbers are churned out daily with gusto. People are psyching themselves up for another lockdown many are wondering what was the point in getting vaccinated.
                                                                                                            Did you get the second jab after all that?

Comment

I dont have a mrs whispering sweet Russians in my ear but the US have evolved negatively in recent years. 9/11 has uncovered the fearful nationalism that has lead them down the orange brick road. The crazy support for Trump was scary and the justification of it even scarier and not just in the US. That mindset prevails and with that they are a dangerous country now.

Comment

For the snooker heads. Bit of a grudge match on at the British open now with former partners Mark Allen and Rheanne Evan's, who have had very public falling outs, playing in the 1st round. A bit of an over enthusiastic member of the audience shouting for Evan's after every shot she takes.

On a side note, John Higgins opened with a 147 in the 1st frame of the first match earlier.

Comment

Did you get the second jab after all that?
                                                                                                                  With gusto was swords in a place I was last trying to train a dog. That’s me finished no booster or top up or reload.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                                                    So eirgrid scrambling to avoid blackouts this winter while data centres which are going to be eating 30% of of our grid capacity by 2030 keep getting approved
                                                                                                                    All that precious juice and water being wasted to power apps that do nothing but undermine civil society. Crazy bit of business
                                                                                                                    We surely don't think the solution is to not build more highly profitable power plants to service the data centres? Bring them all here and build the capacity.

I wouldn't believe that Sunday Business Post stuff. There's some sort of agenda being played out by some business group that wants a piece of some pie. Or at least it has a smell of that. Like the way the main opposition to the situation of the children's hospital was a crowd who owned a field they wanted to put the hospital in. Someone is pumping up the data centre story to make money out of it. Hence why its in Sunday Business Post which has no audience and only really exists to give the dodgier lobbyists who can't afford the Indo a platform.

Comment

I'm trying to think of a regime I would take over America in any conflict they have been involved in. Any good suggestions?

Comment

I'm trying to think of a regime I would take over America in any conflict they have been involved in. Any good suggestions?
                                                                                                                        Tough one.

Sure go big and say 'the Axis powers'.

Anyone saying the Taliban, the Serbs, Saddam, Ghadaffi, ISIS or al Bashir is a pussy really.

Consider it some kind of Godwin inversion.

Comment

In seriousness, you would definitely find a few during the Cold War era. Massadegh in Iran being one. The history of the ME would look very different if they had left him alone.

Guatemala too. CC will know more than we do.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X