This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
    Still on for Friday pints DeadParrot Dice75 @couriercollie?
    Going to the GP in the morning. If he doesn't tell me my liver is completely fucked, I'm still on for a few.
    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Glenveagh national park has to be one of the most beautiful spots in Ireland.

Comment

Dislocated the upper most joint on my right baby finger tonight playing basketball. Finger locked up and I couldn't bend it. Finger went all white with a bit of swelling. Asked for one of the lads to pop it back into place for me. Most were falling about like 'I can't look', I'm gonna be sick', 'Go straight to ER'. One fella volunteered. I told him to pull it firmly and bend it down. He wrapped a towel around it for some reason. Pull and 'pop' and she was back in place. Back to the game. A bit stiff and painful now but not much bruising or swelling.
        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Going to the GP in the morning. If he doesn't tell me my liver is completely fucked, I'm still on for a few.
          Might be just you and me unless a few others are out?
          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
            Dislocated the upper most joint on my right baby finger tonight playing basketball. Finger locked up and I couldn't bend it. Finger went all white with a bit of swelling. Asked for one of the lads to pop it back into place for me. Most were falling about like 'I can't look', I'm gonna be sick', 'Go straight to ER'. One fella volunteered. I told him to pull it firmly and bend it down. He wrapped a towel around it for some reason. Pull and 'pop' and she was back in place. Back to the game. A bit stiff and painful now but not much bruising or swelling.
            The guy who helped you is a keeper. Drop the rest of them, they will just slow you down.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

The guy who helped you is a keeper. Drop the rest of them, they will just slow you down.
              There are no keepers in basketball. DEfence .

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                Anyone able to remind me exactly where in Donegal this beach is ? AFAIR its somewhere not far north of Burtonport

swMSOKc.jpg
                Don’t recognize it, how do you up load photos? Can you do it directly

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

This is coming to you about 500m from the ferry on Rathmullan beach (which just docked a minute ago). Didn't bother with the ferry itself, dawdling up/down the Fanad penninsula today. Sun just came out and Lough Swilly looks very picturesque. Ate a nice meal in the pavillion at Rathmullan House and heading over to the Blue Goat in Ramelton in a bit to grab some cheese for a picnic.

Stole a very nice Kinnegar pint glass from Rathmullen too.

I reckon the split of Nordies to Mexicans is approx 70/30.
                  Rock hill House in letterkenny is worth a trip for dinner

Comment

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post

Like festival week up at Punchestown anyway. Nurse said last 4 days have been flat out most people turning up with symptoms similar to mine.
                    Can I ask when you got your 2nd dose and what was the length of time between doses? Congrats on your vaccine booster anyway.
                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Trying to upload an imagine that’s >2MB is there a quick way to render is smaller?

Comment

Also an error comes up on each post after posting. I ignore it and the post publishes fine but might dissuade others

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                          Trying to upload an imagine that’s >2MB is there a quick way to render is smaller?
                          I use Imgur and drop a link behind the picture icon

I see the
                          Error while saving content: %1$s

Error information: " 500 error "
                          Is back, it had been gone since the last update
                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Since that house was posted yesterday, have another fun one for people, from the front lines of house hunting in Dublin

Viewed 82 Holyfield, Goatstown yesterday morning. You can see from the pictures on MyHome/Daft that it is nicely presented, which drives some people mad in terms of bidding. Regardless, it isn't massive or anything (I believe the stated size is incorrect, if you check the BER cert it's listed as 138 sq m, which seems right after checking it out), and despite being very well presented, the finish isn't amazing, there's work to do if you wanted things perfect. But totally OK as is too. From looking at the ad, even before viewing, I knew that it would get to high 700s at the very least, in today's market.

There were quite a few at the viewing, with another planned for yesterday evening, and people seemed keen. By the time we were leaving, the bidding was at 760k, again totally expected and I knew it would go for more than that. But checked two hours later, and was stunned to hear it was at 890k! Like almost floored, it wasn't big enough, nice enough or a good enough location to explain that. An hour later, 950k!!!!!! I can't over-emphasise how surprised I was at this. That must be an early 2007 price, or even more, for that type of house. I'd almost be worried as the seller, if someone who bid that much will actually go through with it.

The house price inflation at present in certain segments in Dublin must be running at 20%/annum right now; that house wouldn't get much more than 700k at the end of last year. Pity the same enthusiasm isn't translating into the same madness for my house - current offer is a few % higher than the offer we had accepted in March, but in the meantime the houses we're looking at are up €100k, yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                              Since that house was posted yesterday, have another fun one for people, from the front lines of house hunting in Dublin

Viewed 82 Holyfield, Goatstown yesterday morning. You can see from the pictures on MyHome/Daft that it is nicely presented, which drives some people mad in terms of bidding. Regardless, it isn't massive or anything (I believe the stated size is incorrect, if you check the BER cert it's listed as 138 sq m, which seems right after checking it out), and despite being very well presented, the finish isn't amazing, there's work to do if you wanted things perfect. But totally OK as is too. From looking at the ad, even before viewing, I knew that it would get to high 700s at the very least, in today's market.

There were quite a few at the viewing, with another planned for yesterday evening, and people seemed keen. By the time we were leaving, the bidding was at 760k, again totally expected and I knew it would go for more than that. But checked two hours later, and was stunned to hear it was at 890k! Like almost floored, it wasn't big enough, nice enough or a good enough location to explain that. An hour later, 950k!!!!!! I can't over-emphasise how surprised I was at this. That must be an early 2007 price, or even more, for that type of house. I'd almost be worried as the seller, if someone who bid that much will actually go through with it.

The house price inflation at present in certain segments in Dublin must be running at 20%/annum right now; that house wouldn't get much more than 700k at the end of last year. Pity the same enthusiasm isn't translating into the same madness for my house - current offer is a few % higher than the offer we had accepted in March, but in the meantime the houses we're looking at are up €100k, yikes.
                              That’s the fear that you take advantage of the sales market and walk head first into the same market trying to trade up!

Comment

Tommy Bowe gone the full Alan Partridge

Comment

The oul gamma-GT is still a bit high, though down from 101 last May

liverp.jpg

Comment

Some part of the property madness in Dublin might be explained by the crazy state of the market outside, was talking to a developer who has some sites ready to build on in midlands towns just at the edge of the commuter belt.
                                    The market demand is for 3 bed semis but currently you can buy an existing one with D/E ber for c.180K but the cost to build a new one today to the current building regs is at least 245K
                                    How many tears would it take a punter to recover the difference between a second hane D rated and a new B rated, many lifetimes I suspect.
                                    What this means that the only options for the developer - other than building McMansions that there is a limited enough demand for - is to have the project underwritten by working with a county council or a housing association. Meanwhile just around the corner there are many dozens of older main street properties sitting empty that no one wants to look at until there is a grant scheme available to bring them up to spec.

One thing I figure out is how come in the last boom there was a huge transfer of people from Dublin to the country from people some downsizing, some relocating and more willing to do long commutes but this time despite the pandemic, remote working and what seems to be an even bigger price differential than in 2007 there doesn't appear to be the same trend.

Comment

ionapaul Does the BER Cert leave out the attic maybe?

Comment

There's surely a whole lot of prospective owner occupiers factoring in the opportunity cost of not buying in Dublin and missing the rising market and €xx amounts of money in their head.

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Are rents still nuts? Was surprised a transient fellow such as hitch is buying to be honest.
                                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

Can I ask when you got your 2nd dose and what was the length of time between doses? Congrats on your vaccine booster anyway.
                                            1st Jab 05/05
                                            2nd Jab 02/06

Woke up pretty much the same this morning, not too bad once the paracetamol kick in but walking up or down the stairs has me in a sweat.

Not a bother on anyone else in the house so still think it is 50:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                              ionapaul Does the BER Cert leave out the attic maybe?
                                              Yes, it often does, and I would say you are right, it definitely does in this case - I couldn't stand to full height in it, I'm only 5'9 so it's no way classified as a room! But is very small anyhow, no way is it 20 sq m, not sure where the 160 sq m on the dot comes from with regard that house ad.... I've been in enough recently to feel sure it isn't that big.

Comment

I use Imgur and drop a link behind the picture icon

I see the

Is back, it had been gone since the last update
                                                It's a cookie thing.
                                                I can get rid of it by clearing cache, I did schedule it but I feel its linked to multiple sessions open on different devices.
                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

Yes, it often does, and I would say you are right, it definitely does in this case - I couldn't stand to full height in it, I'm only 5'9 so it's no way classified as a room! But is very small anyhow, no way is it 20 sq m, not sure where the 160 sq m on the dot comes from with regard that house ad.... I've been in enough recently to feel sure it isn't that big.
                                                  Yeah we are doing attic and putting in en-suite. Lots of stuff around heights 1800mm i think) etc and being able to call it a room. Also if you put a door on it you technically need fire doors downstairs or your insurance is void.

A lot of that also missed regarding insurance and any extra flat roofs (out back or up top) and the % of the overall roofing of the house.

I know one case where they didnt notify insurance of a small extra flat roof and when they were burgled insurance wouldnt pay out. The worse part was as they had a void insurance no company would touch them and they were almost 6 months with no insurance. Id say if the bank had found out the shit would have hit the fan big time (or obs if there was a fire/flood)

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                    Are rents still nuts? Was surprised a transient fellow such as hitch is buying to be honest.
                                                    Didn't realise hitch was becoming a lady. This is what you're intimating, right?

Comment

Think someone was asking about eis schemes

Comment

2nd Pfizer jab here on Tuesday. Little over a month between jabs. Had to postpone my initial 2nd jab appointment as I was away when it was scheduled. This pushed it back by a week.

Just booked flights to Lisbon for October. €60 return with Ryanair (inc priority & 2 bags). Hopefully, things are in better shape by then and it's a trivial amount to gambool/return back as a voucher.

Comment

Assuming our sale goes through, we'll be paying a few hundred less a month on mortgage compared to renting. That's with a mortgage of about €550k. Renting is beyond fucked up. We can handle about a €100k fall in prices over the next five years and still be breaking even. I haven't run the numbers, so that may not be fully precise, but it's a sign of how mad renting is.
                                                          ​​​​​​
                                                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Lads out here postponing vaccines and still getting them before me haha. Rent is stupid now, my 1k pm is seen as an amazing deal which is sad. For a few bedroom house it is a no brainer to buy if you can.

Comment

Renting is indeed nuts, doesn't help that the landlord is looking to sell where I am now so being backed into a bit of a corner in terms of buying too. Good craic.

Comment

Went to play pitch & putt (clearly running out of entertainment options).
                                                                Hole 1: 4
                                                                Hole 2: 3
                                                                Hole 3: 2

The remainder of the time reminded me of the futility of the game. Why do you do it to yourselves?
                                                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

The 500+ apartments being built on the Howth road are going straight to the rental market when they are finished, someone is expecting the current rents to hold.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Didn't realise hitch was becoming a lady. This is what you're intimating, right?
                                                                    Ah heyor I had to Google that due to doubt and I'm happy with my verbiage.
                                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Why is google telling me to change my password for here due to a data breach ?
                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Another mortgage lender going 1.95% fixed.
                                                                        Shirley a variable rate drop is in the offing?

Think I would stay variable for the craic, everyone tells me not to pay down more / pay it off early as it's cheap money, but it's still costing interest like, and inflation means savings are fucked.

(Already have maxed pension + matched work contrib,
                                                                        Have money going monthly into a high risk (well, not bitcoin risk) Zurich fund too) so other than buy moar houses is it not +ev for me to pay down a bit quicker?
                                                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

It's only +ev if you can't make more money on the market, at a low interest rate any aul etf should be beating it. However there is something to be said for owning your house and the security it brings.

Comment

The 500+ apartments being built on the Howth road are going straight to the rental market when they are finished, someone is expecting the current rents to hold.
                                                                            Followed that twitter link for the house in Inchicore and ended up reading this, rent to buy market apparently the only viable option right now.

There is no need to restate the blindingly obvious. We have a major issue with housing delivery in Ireland at a cost that can be borne by the consumer and can turn a reasonable profit for the developer, even in the public sector.

The housing market has jumped here too but the prices of 100m2 houses in Dublin is eyewatering. Dublin vs Calgary is no comparison but a relative recently sold a house in the middle of nowhere down the country, 10km from the nearest village and minimal public transport and that was bid up 30% over the original price. It also needs at least 100k to make it a comfortable place to live in. If I paid a million for that Goatstown house I'd hate myself and the house for the rest of my life.

Comment

Think I would stay variable for the craic, everyone tells me not to pay down more / pay it off early as it's cheap money, but it's still costing interest like, and inflation means savings are fucked.

Have money going monthly into a high risk (well, not bitcoin risk) Zurich fund too) so other than buy moar houses is it not +ev for me to pay down a bit quicker?
                                                                              Of course it is. Depending on your mortgage interest rate it's probably very difficult to get a better ROI than paying it down outside of the pension. If you have a 3% variable say, how much does your Zurich high risk fund need to clear to match the risk free, tax free return of paying the mortgage?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Of course it is. Depending on your mortgage interest rate it's probably very difficult to get a better ROI than paying it down outside of the pension. If you have a 3% variable say, how much does your Zurich high risk fund need to clear to match the risk free, tax free return of paying the mortgage?
                                                                                I know right!
                                                                                but you wouldn't believe the amount of old heads telling me 'your mortgage is the cheapest loan you'll ever get, don't be in any rush to pay it'
                                                                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Ah heyor I had to Google that due to doubt and I'm happy with my verbiage.
                                                                                  I thought you were calling him a member of the travelling community.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                    Probably you used the same username/password combo somewhere else and it ended up on pastebin. Theoretically it could have come from here?

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                      Google Chrome will tell you if your email/username and password combination has been compromised. Can find out on sites like below where it happened

Have I Been Pwned allows you to search across multiple data breaches to see if your email address or phone number has been compromised.

Comment

I thought you were calling him a member of the travelling community.
                                                                                        Well look, let's just not mention that.
                                                                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

We've a choice of 2.3% fixed for 3 years, or 2.5% fixed for 5 years. I guess the 2.3% is the one to go for?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                            We've a choice of 2.3% fixed for 3 years, or 2.5% fixed for 5 years. I guess the 2.3% is the one to go for?
                                                                                            I'm no professor of finance, but that seems to be lower alright
                                                                                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Are the money for switching Brucie bonus deals still out there, maybe factor those in too.
                                                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Ah HH, if you can't work that out... I really worry for your students having you as their finance professor
                                                                                                No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post

Google Chrome will tell you if your email/username and password combination has been compromised. Can find out on sites like below where it happened

https://haveibeenpwned.com/
                                                                                                  15 data breaches and 3 pastes.

Comment

Ah now lads. The base finance assumption is that they're both of equal value as there must be some upward assumption to medium term interest rates priced into the five year rate based on interest rate yield curves. So the different interest rates probably just reflect the different costs of credit. So in either case they should both be quite similar as value propositions. If you think one is a mile ahead of the other then it's time to study up on some basic things like how interest rates work, and option values, and not make any financial decisions beyond buying a sandwich without consulting a financial advisor. My question was more about what people think about what might actually happen with interest rates.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

Ah HH, if you can't work that out... I really worry for your students having you as their finance professor
                                                                                                      You don't consider extremely low interest rates for an extremly long time isn't without a possible correction over the next 36 months on the back of the last 2 year shitstorm. Id certainly consider it a possibility. Surely he's allowed to ask the question but sure what do you care if his options for the 3-5y segment of his mortgage payments are 4.7% instead of 2.5% sure its only an extra €700 a month

Comment

Why invest in the Zurich fund? I assume you are in the performance fund. If you look at what they invest it'sjust general us equities Capture.PNG . There's nothing wrong with that, but they are charging you a fortune for something you could do yourself much cheaper.

The performance of the fund has not been particularly good compared to investing in a low-cost ETF that tracks the US stock market Capture.PNG

Find out what fees they are charging you (I can't find out on their website) and work how much you will end up paying them over ten years.

Attached Files

Comment

Ah now lads. The base finance assumption is that they're both of equal value as there must be some upward assumption to medium term interest rates priced into the five year rate based on interest rate yield curves. So the different interest rates probably just reflect the different costs of credit. So in either case they should both be quite similar as value propositions. If you think one is a mile ahead of the other then it's time to study up on some basic things like how interest rates work, and option values, and not make any financial decisions beyond buying a sandwich without consulting a financial advisor. My question was more about what people think about what might actually happen with interest rates.
                                                                                                          We briefly touched on that subject here recently, Raoul thinks interest rates are going higher - in which case obv it makes sense to lock in cheap rates as long as possibly. Personally, I believe the opposite, there are too many deflationary factors at play. Practically speaking it won't make too much difference as even if rates go lower, as R points out the banks are unlikely to pass on much of the lower rates to Irish consumers - and you can also refinance anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Find out what fees they are charging you (I can't find out on their website) and work how much you will end up paying them over ten years.
                                                                                                            Don't forget fees compound over time!

Managed funds have to be one of the biggest scams perpetrated on Irish consumers.

Comment

Who'd be a good person to talk to or site that would make good predictions about whether a company may go public in the short/medium term?

Edit: Nevermind, google helped
                                                                                                              Last edited by Ed; 12-08-21, 16:01.

Comment

I had to drag the wife kicking-and-screaming on a two hour 'walk around the campsite with history of the campsite and area' while the kids were in the kids club. "We need to be more cultured" I exclaimed "how can we ever hope to settle into our new role in life as owners of a 70sqm house in an obscure capital city, unless we add a bit of culture to our lives?". Turned out, rarely, that I was onto something.

The tour was giving by the lady who owns the place. Who, two hours later, was showing us a lineage map her great-grandfather had commissioned, which traced their family back to, I'm fairly certain, some time in the 12th century. Although writing that now, it does seem too far in the past. At that stage she had us in the lap of her hand, and we were best friends, as she was a ridiculously charming person, but the tour itself started outside a lake and her asking "does anyone know what that is?" I swear to god a genuine adult proffered that it was a lake - as if the lady of the manor was genuinely unaware what a body of water like that was. "Its your shit" she said. I'm not even sure she had fully introduced herself at this point. She then spent 10 minutes explaining the three lake sewage water filtering system based on natural algaes that her mother had designed in the 1980s, in order to naturally filter and clean sewage waters. While noting, and it was true, that no smell ever escapes from the lake no matter that we are at the height of the season, 1500 families on the campsite, and the heat going like billy-yo.

She went on to explain how she was one of 17 families living in the campsite environs all grandkids of their grandfather who had bought the land in 1939 as he wanted independence from the family estate in a castle up the road (which we saw today on a bike ride and its a place you would definitely only reluctantly leave). Now they all live in the 200 hectacres of this campsite. Some involved in the campsite, some farming, some with side-businesses, a few in Paris and coming back at the weekends. But all essentially living there and seemingly in harmony. Another Irish person, presumably remembering the story from Kerry last week, inquired gently as to whether there was any tension as a result of everyone living off the same core resource. My own doubt was how they find partners, as this village only has a few hundred people, so they must make up a decent proportion of the potential dating pool when they are at that stage in life. Do they maybe go off to Paris and entice partners down with the promise of chateaux, but then ten years later they married and the saps who are cleaning up the pony shit after the pony rides?

She brought us deeper and deeper into the forest. Noting how they had planted certain trees, I've forgotten the name, an entire forest of them, as all their roots are at the top of the soil and each tree soaks up 300 litres of water a day. Without the forest of trees that particular piece of land would be a lake and effectively useless. It just seemed ingenious to be using trees like that. As water pumping devices.

It turns out though the real purpose of the walk was when she told us to sit on some benches made out of fallen trees and she started talking about how the Vendeens were treated after the revolution. What followed was 20 minutes of brutal scene by scene depiction of how the Pariseens had slaughtered 300,000 Vendeens a few years after the revolution and how the school history books barely mentioned it.

We were somberly leaving the forest and she points to a blank bit of land with a load of tree stumps, and in a characteristique turn of tone she says - "always plant oak trees". She said her grandfather had bought that particular plot of land because of its oak forest. 184 trees - the number was emphasised as if each oak tree was precious. As she was growing up her granddad had always said the oak forest will protect us in bad times. They eventually sold the oak trees at auction three years ago and she said a report had been released a few weeks previously claiming that white oak barrels created the best wine, so the price of the trees shot through the roof at auction. As we were going up the road the Irish guy said that when he got married 20 years ago there was a fashion then of buying old oak trees (20 years old) to plant in the garden to add value to a house. He said they cost 1000 Irish punts at the time. That had me thinking, how much would those 184 trees have been worth? She spoke about them like they were gold, and they've now replanted the forest so it will be ready for another sale in a mere 150 years. Would a fine specimen of 150 year old white oak be worth €5000 maybe? I've no idea, I'm just extrapolating from what the Irish guy said about the 20 year old Irish oak trees.

Anyway, what a talk, what a lady. vive la vendee.

Comment

Cool story Hitch.

The tragedy you referred to happend in Cork though, not Kerry for once. We've enough mental cunts of our own without lamping the mental cork cunts in on top of us.

I'll just trust you that the rest if factually sound

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                                    I'm really enjoying this overrated book.
                                                                                                                    My copy arrived today. Think it will take at least 10 days to form an opinion on it.

The Aldi pitta bread I had today was really good.

Comment

My copy arrived today. Think it will take at least 10 days to form an opinion on it.

The Aldi pitta bread I had today was really good.
                                                                                                                      That's cool. Has anyone else bought it?

Bloody thing has affected my running the last few days. Can't put it down at bedtime. Can't get up to run.
                                                                                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

That's cool. Has anyone else bought it?

Bloody thing has affected my running the last few days. Can't put it down at bedtime. Can't get up to run.
                                                                                                                        Didnt buy it, missus had it in her collection. Currently reading a book on the Scientific Revolution so will line it up after that.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                                          Cool story Hitch.

The tragedy you referred to happend in Cork though, not Kerry for once. We've enough mental cunts of our own without lamping the mental cork cunts in on top of us.

I'll just trust you that the rest if factually sound
                                                                                                                          I genuinely had it written as Cork first but then corrected it to Kerry as it seemed like more of a Kerry thing.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X