This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
    I have no idea what I did with my free time before the kids . Now iv developed into a skilled negotiator to get to the driving range . Still though , nice being a daddy.
    Ya the first 50 years fly bye.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
      FPL - Kev, DeadParrot, mdoug, hackers, roryc etc were just too fucking good at it for me to compete.
      tbf, side bets were a bit one sided last season or two
      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
        How long can this continue ? Working yourself to death slight exaggeration but it can’t be good for you. By your own words the industry is chronically short staffed at least you have a partner and get to drink fine wines nice dinners at times. I see the single women my wife is friendly with all they have is work. They get ridden but by there bosses time and work wise. One girl normally 7 in the office down to 4 works till 10 every night and uses it as an excuse to not do anything else. My wife left the financial sector and started in the public sector she loves it not worked to death and has a good work life balance money is shyte but she’s got a couple of promotions flexi 7 hours 36 mins a day. Obv I’m not one to give career advice .
        The greatest scam the rich ever did was get the private sector thinking the public sector have it too easy rather than that they have it too hard.

We're one of the few countries left in Europe who think working too hard is a virtue. Although then again if everyone else is taking it easy then working too hard is the most sure fire way to get ahead.
        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

The feeling that you are kinda seeing the edges of reality due to sleep deprevation manifesting as finding yourself in a random aisle in aldi resonated with me a lot

Felt I could see around corners at one stage
          Poker was great training for it. Actually don't think sleep deprivation ever bothered me really.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Had really wanted to go to Tanzania at the beginning of last year. Have time booked off in November but Africa is a non runner at this stage. Probably just have to take a wait and see approach for if anything in the Southern Hemisphere is a go-er.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
              Had really wanted to go to Tanzania at the beginning of last year. Have time booked off in November but Africa is a non runner at this stage. Probably just have to take a wait and see approach for if anything in the Southern Hemisphere is a go-er.
              My laat remaining friends in SA (the rest have left) were saying the covid wave is brutal now in sub-Saharan Africa.

I only went to Tanzania once, was a bit of a hole afair. Would always recommend Botswana and Namibia.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                How long can this continue ? Working yourself to death slight exaggeration but it can’t be good for you. By your own words the industry is chronically short staffed at least you have a partner and get to drink fine wines nice dinners at times. I see the single women my wife is friendly with all they have is work. They get ridden but by there bosses time and work wise. One girl normally 7 in the office down to 4 works till 10 every night and uses it as an excuse to not do anything else. My wife left the financial sector and started in the public sector she loves it not worked to death and has a good work life balance money is shyte but she’s got a couple of promotions flexi 7 hours 36 mins a day. Obv I’m not one to give career advice .

It's completely unsustainable and it's definitely not good for me long term.

In the last two weeks, I have been able to reorganise a decent bit of stuff which will take some of the pressure off me starting from this week and there is plans in motion to try do more although that will take some time.

Mrs Lao Lao absolutely helps, she can usually snap me out of the work buzz, she doesn't need encouragement to top up the wine glass!

Am off out west on Friday evening so it'll be Rancho Relaxo for 9 days solid with not even a thought about work.

Comment

Reckon it is non-runner? Am planning South Africa in December and am still hopeful.
                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

We are hoping to have people travelling in Africa and Asia again next month whether or not it happens is another thing. I've been dealing recently with an Indian guy who works for a Chinese company who has been stuck in East Africa for two years since landing in Kenya after Diwali in Oct 2019.
                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I'm going to Mexico in November, I've been to Sligo, Limerick and Donegal - that's enough Ireland for one year.
                      Last edited by Hectorjelly; 09-08-21, 22:59.

Comment

You are just a number.
                        Work-life balance is easily attained once you realise this universal truth.
                        Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                          I'm going to Mexico in November, I've been to Sligo, Limerick and Donegal - that's enough Ireland for one year.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                            Think I blocked out those memories.

Gets easier with the second lads...
                            We find the opposite, but then again #2 is multiples harder work than #1 was for us. At least with one it's easy for one person to get a break or a good nights sleep. When they get older it may be different.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

We find the opposite, but then again #2 is multiples harder work than #1 was for us. At least with one it's easy for one person to get a break or a good nights sleep. When they get older it may be different.
                              Maybe it was #3 where it gets easier....

Comment

Not a chance.

Outnumbered.
                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Yeah it’s 3. 2 was a nightmare.
                                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

We bottle fed the first as the breast feeding didn't work out, and yeah sleep deprivation was a thing.

The next two were breastfed which left nothing for me to do but sleep. In the spare room too which from a selfish pov was amazing.

Poor wife didn't sleep for months though.

Comment

Three is only a bit more difficult than two and four or more aren't any more difficult than the three, it just goes on for longer

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

I hear ya, no.1 was great. No. 2 is as crazy as a bag of culchies. To eliminate stress I’ve adopted the following approach. I pretend he is a dog that needs walking twice a day. When visiting restaurants I pretend he is my pet monkey (who would defeat me in a fight) and I’m mentally resigned to the accompanying craziness. I understand I deserve every moment of his craziness but I do look forward to him morphing into a normal person in the next few years. He handed me a fair sized stripey legged spider the other day which shows he is developing a gentle side . Ie the Spider was not destroyed.

Comment

I guess if one was to ask da mudder , her reply would be. No. 1 was great 2 was crazy 3 was crazy 4 was great 5 another crazy 6 was a bit crazy 7 was a moaner 8 , great 9 , mad but manageable 10, ok we got it sussed now .

Comment

Does anyone truly believe that the political will \ skill is there to take the 'drastic action' the IPCC are hoping for?
                                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                              Does anyone truly believe that the political will \ skill is there to take the 'drastic action' the IPCC are hoping for?
                                              No.
                                              It is unlikely to happen in western democracies where people have shown themselves willing to elect populist nationalists the likes of Trump, Johnson and Orban.

Sure we should stop pumping out carbon as soon as we can but we simply cannot do that unless we find abundant sources of cheap energy, the fallout will be far worse than the effects of climate change.

We have already done most of the damage and we can only slow down the effects, this is an issue that must be addressed realistically and practically and the focus of that has to be urgent rollout of clean energy to all the world.

Comment

Even without the the yellow vest-type backlashes it's unfeasible. Nobody's going to deliberately hamstring themselves while other countries flaunt the rules. Elon Musk has correctly identified that this is a technology problem and only technology will solve it. "A Fuckload Of Batteries" is only a starting point, but without a major advance in fusion tech it's the only way forward we have. It's not perfect, but we need to concoct a scenario where renewables + storage + nuclear + carbon backups are cheaper, equally reliable and completely available on a global scale. That only solves like 70% of the problem, and that's assuming we don't keep producing new tech like blockchains that massively increase our energy demands.
                                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Nope, itll be the next chapter of us v them. Left V right, woke libtard vs whatever. Farage and the likes articles to not listen to "woke" scientists incoming.
                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Nope, itll be the next chapter of us v them. Left V right, woke libtard vs whatever. Farage and the likes articles to not listen to "woke" scientists incoming.
                                                    You forgot to mention the Greta-worshipping hippies who think it's a choice between returning to preindustrial living standards or going extinct.
                                                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Pity nuclear power got off on the wrong foot.
                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I find the Greta thing to be like buying something from donedeal,
                                                        You have to aim way off the price you would be willing to pay and then negotiate back to what is reasonable.

If that makes sense.

If you asked the world to do exactly what is needed some would just do it, but then others wouldn't do a tap, and then you are only halfway to the target.

SWEDISH climate activist Greta Thunberg has been asked to 'sit this one out' following the publication of a terrifying new report on climate change, in a bid to convince climate skeptics that simply will not …

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Aren't 100 companies responsible for 70%+ of worlds emissions? China coal top of the pops on the hit list.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                            Aren't 100 companies responsible for 70%+ of worlds emissions? China coal top of the pops on the hit list.
                                                            This is a very silly way of interpreting the data. 100 companies produce whatever huge % of the world's emissions, but 100s of 1000s of people work for those 100 companies and rely on those companies for their livelihoods. And then 10s of 1000s of companies rely on the products those 100 companies produce, meaning 10s of millions of people rely on those companies for their livelihoods. And 100s of governments rely on the taxation produced by all that economic activity, meaning billions of people rely on those 100 companies for their livelihoods. We have a collective global economy and just saying it's DA CORPERATIONS and we can just make them pay instead is a load of Greta.

Comment

Where does one by a new phone that i can stick a current sim card into (for aul lad)

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                                Yeah just concrete, transport and power really.

Comment

Absolutely. If data centres in Ireland are using proportionally less energy than other countries then that should be recognised as the net win it is. Or indeed, the new Chinese factory producing shoes is probably vastly more energy efficient than the original Italian factories. Should we judge China / Ireland for these net global wins, despite their domestic energy usage rising? Or what about when Nigeria, Indonesia, Pakistan, the next emerging countries start really growing. Is it fair to proscribe cheaper dirtier energy for them when Europe / US had the benefit of that cheaper energy in the past. If we proscribe it globally in the interests of the world, should we richer countries make payments to those countries to compensate?

​​​

Comment

Yeah just concrete, transport and power really.
                                                                    Is concrete really a top three energy use? I'm a bit surprised by that. Although have no innate reason to be surprised by it.

Comment

I'm not sure what people think companies are doing, they provide people with what they want, meeting demand. So yes, people are responsible for it.
                                                                      Raising prices to meet climate change costs, by making them more environmentally friendly is not au fait with capitalism, so it has to be mandated at a very high level.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Is concrete really a top three energy use? I'm a bit surprised by that. Although have no innate reason to be surprised by it.
                                                                        US breakdown, some bleed into the others, as obviously you'dd need electricity and transportation in a lot of places:

1o1Aep7.png

Cement (not concrete) is something like 7% of CO2. There is also methane to contend with, lower cycle but more damaging.
                                                                        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 10-08-21, 17:25.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

This is a very silly way of interpreting the data. 100 companies produce whatever huge % of the world's emissions, but 100s of 1000s of people work for those 100 companies and rely on those companies for their livelihoods. And then 10s of 1000s of companies rely on the products those 100 companies produce, meaning 10s of millions of people rely on those companies for their livelihoods. And 100s of governments rely on the taxation produced by all that economic activity, meaning billions of people rely on those 100 companies for their livelihoods. We have a collective global economy and just saying it's DA CORPERATIONS and we can just make them pay instead is a load of Greta.
                                                                          I merely stated a fact in my post.

Comment

You forgot to mention the Greta-worshipping hippies who think it's a choice between returning to preindustrial living standards or going extinct.
                                                                            Therell be too terrible sides for sure. I do get a bit of a laugh to myself over how much Greta triggers cunts tho
                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

Absolutely. If data centres in Ireland are using proportionally less energy than other countries then that should be recognised as the net win it is. Or indeed, the new Chinese factory producing shoes is probably vastly more energy efficient than the original Italian factories. Should we judge China / Ireland for these net global wins, despite their domestic energy usage rising? Or what about when Nigeria, Indonesia, Pakistan, the next emerging countries start really growing. Is it fair to proscribe cheaper dirtier energy for them when Europe / US had the benefit of that cheaper energy in the past. If we proscribe it globally in the interests of the world, should we richer countries make payments to those countries to compensate?

​​​
                                                                              We talked this before with the Paris Accord which was going to force industry to move from cleaner factories to less regulated factories in China. Emission units for heavy industry in China per unit of output is far higher than in the west.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                Where does one by a new phone that i can stick a current sim card into (for aul lad)
                                                                                Cheap option but involves waiting weeks:
                                                                                online comparison site such as Kimovil.
                                                                                Amazon for popular models
                                                                                within days from your armchair.

If willing to spend an afternoon on your feet
                                                                                shop called FoneZone on Moore Street
                                                                                give surprisingly good customer service
                                                                                and stock a load of new and used models.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post

Cheap option but involves waiting weeks:
                                                                                  online comparison site such as Kimovil.
                                                                                  Amazon for popular models
                                                                                  within days from your armchair.

If willing to spend an afternoon on your feet
                                                                                  shop called FoneZone on Moore Street
                                                                                  give surprisingly good customer service
                                                                                  and stock a load of new and used models.
                                                                                  Cheers, a quick inspection of said phone and it seems its just a new charger required. Old people are tough to deal with

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                    Old people are tough to deal with
                                                                                    You sound like like my daughter.

Comment

“Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift no heavy-ass weights."

This is how I feel about trying to find a technical co-founder to work on the side thing.

Now that we have some legit paying customers, and have a really big opportunity to get it into the hands of a boat load of others I'm trying to step away from writing awful awful code and start doing other parts of the business building. I am currently in lifestyle cut mode where I'm trying to figure out the least amount I can spend in a month so I can see if giving this a year worth of full time makes sense and doesn't leave me hooped.

I am trying to find someone to take over all things development. Typical start up stuff but I'm willing to pay a salary too (nothing outrageous but not slave labour) and then vest them into equity.

Trying to find someone that makes sense not only for short term but medium term and long term too is proving absolutely impossible.

Totally not the HR thing to say but everyone capable has kids and a mortgage and a high cost of living.
                                                                                      Everyone incapable but hungry and with the life circumstances to take a shot is absolutely useless and would require so much management it'd be pointless.

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                        Lazare Solksjaer! came into Newcastle via Jct 4 earlier and came upon quite the funeral. The 8 gardai at the graveyard was the first indication before I noticed all the people waiting on the funeral cortege. No 25 max limit. Came around the bend and a piper was leading a horse drawn carriage and a hearse in what seemed to be a double funeral of 2 members of the travelling community. An absolute huge funeral. Any idea what the story with it was. Seemed like it might have been something tragic?
                                                                                        No idea, I must have gotten home before it. Haven't heard anything either.

Comment

Theresa a commercially minded product or project manager might be more valuable, spend the money on freelancing. Shit code is par for the course and regardless if it works you'll be doing a full rewrite in due course anyway.
                                                                                          I am a commercially minded product manager, or at least, thats what my job title says! I am currently writing all the bad stuff and then getting a pro to help productionize it.Currently those pros have been buddies I've annoyed to death or freelancers (who really don't care about legibility or quality, more about hours and pay), I have run into some great freelancers but demand on them is nuts.

I would rather I get someone in to just handle all that. And let me do the product/sales/marketing pieces.
                                                                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Haven't heard Kellie the boxer speaking yet or know her back story, so am trying to guess from headlines alone and the look of her what is the supposed thing 'wrong' with her. Just purely from the headlines they all seem to be written in a way that suggests that journalists feel she has some great shortcoming in life. For a supposedly neutral profession journalists seem to get a lot of their own crap perspectives into articles.

My best guess from the headlines is extreme poverty combined with lesbianism? (I think I saw a mention of a female partner).

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                              “Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift no heavy-ass weights."

This is how I feel about trying to find a technical co-founder to work on the side thing.

Now that we have some legit paying customers, and have a really big opportunity to get it into the hands of a boat load of others I'm trying to step away from writing awful awful code and start doing other parts of the business building. I am currently in lifestyle cut mode where I'm trying to figure out the least amount I can spend in a month so I can see if giving this a year worth of full time makes sense and doesn't leave me hooped.

I am trying to find someone to take over all things development. Typical start up stuff but I'm willing to pay a salary too (nothing outrageous but not slave labour) and then vest them into equity.

Trying to find someone that makes sense not only for short term but medium term and long term too is proving absolutely impossible.

Totally not the HR thing to say but everyone capable has kids and a mortgage and a high cost of living.
                                                                                              Everyone incapable but hungry and with the life circumstances to take a shot is absolutely useless and would require so much management it'd be pointless.

What's the project? Which language? Frontend/backend/app/full stack? I'll ask around in my circles anyway.
                                                                                              Last edited by AndyFatBastard; 10-08-21, 21:04.

Comment

What's the project? Which language? Frontend/backend/app/full stack? I'll ask around in my circles anyway.
                                                                                                https://getbump.ca

the whole stack.
                                                                                                react/react native/some vue/firebase (NoSQL)/node/python.

Thanks Andy.

Comment

Donegal really is different, hadn't been up here for about 20 years prior to this week and had forgotten the grandeur of the landscape. Surely the most spectacular landscapes in Ireland.

My kids are enthralled with the accent. Been saying 'jollay-faash' (jellyfish) all day.

Comment

Haven't heard Kellie the boxer speaking yet or know her back story, so am trying to guess from headlines alone and the look of her what is the supposed thing 'wrong' with her. Just purely from the headlines they all seem to be written in a way that suggests that journalists feel she has some great shortcoming in life. For a supposedly neutral profession journalists seem to get a lot of their own crap perspectives into articles.

My best guess from the headlines is extreme poverty combined with lesbianism? (I think I saw a mention of a female partner).
                                                                                                    I don't think anyone is suggesting there's something 'wrong' with her?

She comes from a tough part of Dublin but it clearly hasn't stopped her.

Comment

the whole stack.
                                                                                                      So this is what people feel like when Lao Lao does a music list

Comment

Lazare Solksjaer! came into Newcastle via Jct 4 earlier and came upon quite the funeral. The 8 gardai at the graveyard was the first indication before I noticed all the people waiting on the funeral cortege. No 25 max limit. Came around the bend and a piper was leading a horse drawn carriage and a hearse in what seemed to be a double funeral of 2 members of the travelling community. An absolute huge funeral. Any idea what the story with it was. Seemed like it might have been something tragic?
                                                                                                        Saw the remnants earlier. Looked very travellery all right. No idea who died or how . Plenty of tragedy in that community.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Therell be too terrible sides for sure. I do get a bit of a laugh to myself over how much Greta triggers cunts tho
                                                                                                          She has been finally exposed.
                                                                                                          SWEDISH environmental activist Greta Thunberg has been branded a 'hypocrite' by critics around the world after a photograph of her wearing a disposable diaper surfaced online today. The 16-year-old has not yet confirmed or denied if the …

Comment

probably just well this wasn't twitter though

Comment

https://getbump.ca

the whole stack.

Thanks Andy.
                                                                                                              a good engineer is a superhero at the moment. my advice, identify a smart kid in your family / social circle, bring them in. test and learn. that's how i started before college and its much better value. when they start producing, pay them more than you want to.

Comment

I don't think anyone is suggesting there's something 'wrong' with her?

She comes from a tough part of Dublin but it clearly hasn't stopped her.
                                                                                                                All the headlines seem to be couched in sympathy. It feels like she is suffering from a terrible illness and has had a minor respite, not the winner of a gold medal.

Comment

She dropped out of secondary school very young (comparatively) and in middle-class Ireland, that's certainly seen a real tragedy! 'Poor cratur...'

Comment

Her life was never the same after someone dropped that awful statue outside her gaff

Comment

So which two of ye are in a bidding war on this one

Comment

As crazy as things are right now, I'm guessing the shell that sold in 2013 bears very little resemblance to the house currently on sale in 2021!

Comment

All the headlines seem to be couched in sympathy. It feels like she is suffering from a terrible illness and has had a minor respite, not the winner of a gold medal.
                                                                                                                          I think you are confusing sympathy with condescencion. If you are unsure which is which, read this post again.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X