This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
    Am in the market for an e-reader / e-ink note taker. Remarkable 2.0 except not that kinda cash. Any ideas?
    Why are you asking here? No feedback from
    HH on the mini treadmill
    BCB on lazer printers
    I've forgotten what VforV's towel recommendation was.

Pretty shocked that HH has gone back to books ( first time I ever heard him mention a kindle), I imagined that he read everything on his phone.
    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Erotic short story by RDIII entitled "The Hot New Neighbour"

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      XXX Rise
      New Virgin
      XXX Drive
      I wandered down to see did they have it for me
      Girl is totally puzzled
      can't you just knock into them and get it?
      <five mins later>
      is that OK?"
      This went on for some time
      an offer of dropping it in next Tuesday
      "if you can arrange it with the neighbour"

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

Mad that we can just pop into town for a few pince coz we feel like it. Let's do this. What's to be embarrassed about?
        Well there's the 20kg I've put on in the last year, and the learning to behave in public again is probably more an issue for me than most.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
          got me 2nd jab today.
          Offically bulletproof
          Not officially bulletproof for 14 days according to the rules. Got caught myself today at lunch. My own fault for not checking but they were strictly checking documents for entry so we sat outside. At least now I know not to book a restaurant until my 14 days is up.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Well there's the 20kg I've put on in the last year, and the learning to behave in public again is probably more an issue for me than most.
            I've 9kgs of excess to get rid of thanks to 2020/2021. In hindsight we probably went over the top for lockdowns / shielding with herself being pregnant. Am looking forward to seeing a gym again and getting the eating under control.

Comment

I've 9kgs of excess to get rid of thanks to 2020/2021. In hindsight we probably went over the top for lockdowns / shielding with herself being pregnant. Am looking forward to seeing a gym again and getting the eating under control.
              Hope it's a different ballpark for you though. The qualitative difference from 108kg to 128kg literally made getting into and out of a car difficult. Have made a few dietary changes since that peak, though only down to 124kg now.

Comment

On audiobooks, the lesser effort with them can be decisive in getting through them. I'm 17 hours or something into Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov with another 20 hours to go. I listen to it while eating lunch.

There is pretty much zero chance that I wouldn't have quit reading the actual book by now. I'm not a great one for novels, and with actual books I can feel the weight of the opportunity cost of reading any other book that has ever been written instead of it. Not so with listening.

Comment

I lost 4 inches off my waist, put a bit back on since we opened. No temptation = no sin for me.
                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

no routine = everything falls apart for me

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I was 100% kindle for years, but after reading a book called Digital Minimalism earlier in the year, I've started to reintroduce paper books.
                      Wondering if you read Digital Minimalism on the kindle?

Comment

Library around the corner > kindles

Comment

It's amazing the difference a few kg makes. I started losing my neck by adding a few kg. My actual neck.
                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                            Books, audiobooks and e-readers all have their place and time. I actually own all the ASoIaF books in all 3 formats.
                            I have all the the ASOIAF books in paperback. Was slowly re-reading the series and paused to pick up a Le Carré novel I had.
                            Since then I found a free website with asoiaf on audiobook. So I’ve restarted it on audiobook, but it’s slow doing. I listen to it in bed, and takes about 3 goes to finish a chapter. As soon as I get distracted I’m out.

I feel like audio booos are for people who go to bed at 10pm whether they’re tired or not. Not people (like me) who refuse to go useless they bolloxed.

Comment

Physical books for me all the way. The tactile nature of it, the beauty of a bookshelf. The scent.

Aside from convenience E readers may well save some trees, but they're akin to chopping down a mighty 1100 year old Redwood. Not going to be party to that.

Hate the idea of kids beginning their reading journey digitally.
                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Hate the idea of kids beginning their reading journey digitally.
                                I'd guess that 90%+ of kids will grow up to be non-readers, as in that they won't read as a hobby in free time. So maybe digital is better than nothing. But you're right, I'd imagine holding a book would end up as a more firm childhood memory.

Comment

Well this is clever...

Comment

I'd guess that 90%+ of kids will grow up to be non-readers, as in that they won't read as a hobby in free time. So maybe digital is better than nothing. But you're right, I'd imagine holding a book would end up as a more firm childhood memory.
                                    Yes that's a good point, and only makes it that little bit more depressing. Books have survived during the digital revolution due to emotional connection. When that's broken they're gone.

Comment

Yes that's a good point, and only makes it that little bit more depressing. Books have survived during the digital revolution due to emotional connection. When that's broken they're gone.
                                      They said that about Vinyl and that has a tiny history in comparison Methinks books are here for a fair while longer. We've a stack of kids books .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

They said that about Vinyl and that has a tiny history in comparison Methinks books are here for a fair while longer. We've a stack of kids books .
                                        Ah of course, it's not happening suddenly. Only a couple of generations left though I fear.

Comment

Have a few hundred books including a few from teenage years.

Think it's the experience of buying a book that I enjoy most.
                                          Nice leisurely stroll around town pick up a few bits and pieces and end up in Hodges Figgis.

Stop for a pint and read a chapter or two. Luxury.

Might get an e reader though.

Comment

@HH

Crypto on a nice upswing atm.
                                            I'm only down a few % now lol.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Hope it's a different ballpark for you though. The qualitative difference from 108kg to 128kg literally made getting into and out of a car difficult. Have made a few dietary changes since that peak, though only down to 124kg now.
                                              Up to 110 myself. 10 over my usual weight, and 20 over my ideal weight. Gonna go full keto from September onwards. I always manage to get the first 10 down quite easily but struggle to push through and carry on. Will be looking to get there in 2022.

Back in France now for leg 2 of my hols and off windsurfing in brittany. One of the biggest motivators to lose a lot of weight is so that the windsurf club I go to has a harness big enough to fit me,which they didn't have last year

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Wondering if you read Digital Minimalism on the kindle?
                                                This reminds me. I once spotted the CD audiobook of Digital Minimalism on the recommended selections shelf of the library in Dunlaoghaire.

I spent hours afterwards pondering who the intended audience was.

Comment

I remember as a kid begging da mudder to get a colour TV for The Olympics. She obliged and I was over the moon. I will never forget the awe I had watching the colourful Athletes and stadium with the fans etc. I watched everything . To this day I've never been so awestruck. Even now watching the 10k final the colours are still a feast for the eyes. I mostly dont notice or care about it normally. I guess that 1st feeling is imprinted on me and I watch it every time enjoying the amazing athletes and the colour. I love it.

Comment

Easiest thing for weight really is just intermittent fasting

Comment

Watching the Javelin and always get a bit antsy for the lads measuring the distance. They seem to stand right in the area where the thing lands, which doesn't seem especially smart to me.

Comment

Can confirm via visual inspection of the chilled meats cabinet in Sainsburys Armagh, that the Brexit sausage wars appear to be having a real impact.

Melton Mowbray mini pork pies available so all was not lost.
                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
                                                          Watching the Javelin and always get a bit antsy for the lads measuring the distance. They seem to stand right in the area where the thing lands, which doesn't seem especially smart to me.
                                                          They're not just standing in the middle of the pitch where the javelin lands. They would be standing off to the side and would start walking after the throw and they have an idea where it will land. We just see them on telly standing beside a landing javelin which is where you're getting the idea of the judges being some type of mad men lol

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                            Have a few hundred books including a few from teenage years.

Think it's the experience of buying a book that I enjoy most.
                                                            Nice leisurely stroll around town pick up a few bits and pieces and end up in Hodges Figgis.

Stop for a pint and read a chapter or two. Luxury.

Might get an e reader though.

Secondhand book stores are even better - Chapters is el numero uno.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
                                                              Pretty sure once it’s in the air the trajectory is not unpredictable. If they’re watching it should be fine.

But it saying that I have seen a javelin chapter on “injuries when shit goes wrong”.

Comment

Ah lad's paper books are great, lovely objects and all that but reading is about getting information from brain to brain in a thorough and efficient way.

For instance I'm currently reading a wonderful history of the penal colonies and the birth of Australia, the fatal shore by Robert Hughes, it's immensely readable and enjoyable but I would have had to put it down to reach for The dictionary on every other page except I only need to highlight the word to get the definition, also I can make proper notes and highlights without ruining the book and they are uploaded automaticallynot to mention having a font and colour scheme of my preference.
                                                                ​​​​​ Was in a bookshop the other day and thought about getting a copy to put on my shelf, what I found was pisspoor paperback costing £22 that weighs nearly a kilogram, has tiny unreadable print and badly rendered unscalable images. GTFO. Mind you I'm enjoying the book so much that I will be looking out for a good hardback edition but that is nothing more than a fetish.
                                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I was under 80kg pre covid - got up to a high of 96 . My recovery was doing well, got down to 86 but I've now being hampered by the resumption of social events. Fasting and drinking aren't easy bedfellows.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                    Mind you I'm enjoying the book so much that I will be looking out for a good hardback edition but that is nothing more than a fetish.
                                                                    That's got to be the least weird fetish I've ever heard anyone ever admit to.

Comment

Nephew , only starting out. Give him s follow . He has potential imo

Comment

Secondhand book stores are even better - Chapters is el numero uno.
                                                                        True that. .picked up the border trilogy by C McCarthy in hardback (first editions) for £1 each, must have lent out 2 of them though.
                                                                        Copy I have left was on sale for €75 in First Editions bookshop (off Waterloo Rd.)

Comment

I've gone from 67kg -> 88kg -> 86kg -> 88kg -> 84kg.
                                                                          Lost that 4kg in the last month, just walking a lot with audio books. Getting reading and exercise in as one.

Comment

I have gone from 4.5kg to 132kg...down to around 114 now, massive stall once i went back on the booze, havent really put much on though, still walking daily and watching what i eat, 105 by xmas is the next goal, no panic.
                                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Well this is clever...

Have that comic book! (in French). It's amazing the amount of ways they keep up the idea across the comic strips.
                                                                              Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 07-08-21, 17:27.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                                @HH

Crypto on a nice upswing atm.
                                                                                I'm only down a few % now lol.

Am a small bit worried what London Hard Fork means for the viability of polkadot, given it seems to make eth a lot stronger, but seems like a sweet time overall

Comment

Jaysis I'd love a pint in this place..

Comment

^^ Think that's Pats place...
                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

This Limerick team could easily win the next 3 all Irelands.
                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Jaysis I'd love a pint in this place..

That's class!

Was in Galloping Green for the first time recently, out near Stillorgan on the Stillorgan Road, and it has such a fantastic feel to it. Looks like you are sitting in the good-good room of a fancy house.

Comment

That's class!

Was in Galloping Green for the first time recently, out near Stillorgan on the Stillorgan Road, and it has such a fantastic feel to it. Looks like you are sitting in the good-good room of a fancy house.
                                                                                          John of Gods heads slip out the window to there when darkness decends.

Comment

My man ftw tonight, but the two other Kenyans should be right up there.

Callum Hawkins should give good value, possible medal.

Looking forward to see how Scullion performs.

Comment

Jesus lads lay off the biscuits. IPB: Irish Phat Bastards.

I wish Pats pub was even half as nice as that.
                                                                                              Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

I put on 8lbs (for some reason I don't know kg) over lockdown too. If I put it on then anyone could as I'm not into food and eat small portions. I think it was mostly just not moving that did it. So over the past 6 weeks I went on a diet for the first time in my life and lost it.

It was fascinating to watch the psychology of it from the inside. Thoughts of being deprived of being able to eat what I wanted, a vague sense of the oppressiveness of it, maybe even that something was unfair. And this is with cutting out almost nothing - small bag of crisps from a 12 pack per day, a pizza every week / 10 days, a couple of biscuits maybe every 2 or 4 days, and the odd curry chips every 4 weeks maybe.

It made me really feel for dieters about how hard it must be for them, especially if they feel hungry, their bodies are used to eating a lot of stuff, or they love food / get some emotional comfort from it.

Comment

My man ftw tonight, but the two other Kenyans should be right up there.

Callum Hawkins should give good value, possible medal.

Looking forward to see how Scullion performs.
                                                                                                  I'm almost certain this isn't about golf.

Comment

Way, way up on the Fanad penninsula for the week in an old coastguard station: insane views up\down Lough Swilly. Now to go Daniel O'Donnell hunting.

Comment

[QUOTE=hotspur;n1699526
                                                                                                      It made me really feel for dieters about how hard it must be for them, especially if they feel hungry, their bodies are used to eating a lot of stuff, or they love food / get some emotional comfort from it.
                                                                                                      [/QUOTE]

I've been mostly just eating huge portions. Can spend ages cooking a meal from a recipe that's meant for four, and find it difficult not to eat half of it. Really takes an effort for me to eat anything close to what is a normal portion.

Comment

Way, way up on the Fanad penninsula for the week in an old coastguard station: insane views up\down Lough Swilly. Now to go Daniel O'Donnell hunting.
                                                                                                        Check Majorca
                                                                                                        hes out there with cliff richard

Comment

I wonder what the % of British medals came from offspring of immigrants

Speaking of diet , irrespective of weight. I always feel great next morning when I've had a light evening food wise . My appetite is pretty ferocious but its definitely controllable. Think we all just need a target/ challenge . On it .

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post

Check Majorca
                                                                                                            hes out there with cliff richard
                                                                                                            Everybody loves a summer holiday.

Comment

Scullion pulled up. Hope he's able to handle it, poor guy has been having difficulties lately with his mental health.

Comment

GOAT

Comment

GOAT
                                                                                                                  Is it interfering with the runners.? Organisers really fucked up this Olympics

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Is it interfering with the runners.? Organisers really fucked up this Olympics
                                                                                                                    He's the GOAT and they'll be talking about him for donkeys

Comment

He's the GOAT and they'll be talking about him for donkeys
                                                                                                                      Or the drug mules

Comment

Am a small bit worried what London Hard Fork means for the viability of polkadot, given it seems to make eth a lot stronger, but seems like a sweet time overall

Rising tide floats all boats etc for the moment anyway.

Am anticipating profit taking correction coming up shortly, and have hedged accordingly which makes it a self fulfilling prophecy....hmmm

Comment

I see the Brazilian is 1.42 on BF for this boxing. Id assumed Harrington would be fav.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X