Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One good thing to come out of the banking crises. No longer will you hear upstairs on a bus.-> I dont know what a tracker mortgage is.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
      One good thing to come out of the banking crises. No longer will you hear upstairs on a bus.-> I dont know what a tracker mortgage is.
      Probably more likely to hear that now imo.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I'm due to be in London for first week of August and over and back a few times over the following weeks. Probably too close to know how Johnson's gamble on herd immunity is going to play out.

Seems to me that letting delta rip through a population c.60% 33 million with 86% coverage adds up to a lot of very sick people but as he says its a sacrifice he's willing to make

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I'm surprised that we are not hearing more from the virologists who think the major risk he's taking is that letting delta run wild in a population with that mix of vaccinated and unvaccinated is an ideal petri dish to create an epsilon variant that can dodge the vaccine.
          Last edited by Strewelpeter; 06-07-21, 10:13.
          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Ha! I've only a handful of birdies on my own course so getting 2 on the brabazon was quite a surprise!! i was striking my 5 fairway wood so sweetly and getting on the green from 185 yards quite regularly, and my putter was on fire. Both birdies were putts from between 15 to 30 feet (had another 2 chances for more birdies), and only 3 putt three times over the 18 holes. I really need to get rid of my triple bogeys and over (about 5 per round) though.
            Think I've had about 8 birdies since I started last year. Actually had my first ever putt for eagle a couple of weeks back, obv 3 stabbed for par. It's such an amazing game though. One week you've nutted a couple of PB 300yd drives and hit wedges crisply. At the same time, the ability to putt and strike irons disappear completely. Delightfully frustrating but that feeling when you hit a real golf shot is truly exhilarating. Not unlike scooping a big pot in a cash game or tourney.

It is just such a process of continually honing and crafting your skills through practice/lessons. Think of it as levelling up in an RPG.

Comment

On switching Mortgages. I'm at the end of a fixed period with AIB soon so i would be interested in switching BUT, would i have to give up punting online for a year similar to what i did when i applied for mortgage? Do they root through that carry on again or happy that you've been paying mortgage hassle free and have a decent sum of money spread over a few accounts?

I've no problem laying this out in front of someone in bank and asking. I do have a problem with other half over reacting on how much i punt despite it having zero negative effect on our financial situation. Deposits would be looked at. Withdrawals not so much.
              Last edited by Silver-Tiger; 06-07-21, 10:24.

Comment

I think we will look back and consider that our handling of the whole saga was amongst the best in the world . As each week goes by more and more are being fully vaccinated. It's a race . I'm not sure what's going to happen in the UK but full stadiums and fully reopening seems a bit hasty . What a mess .

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Think I've had about 8 birdies since I started last year. Actually had my first ever putt for eagle a couple of weeks back, obv 3 stabbed for par. It's such an amazing game though. One week you've nutted a couple of PB 300yd drives and hit wedges crisply. At the same time, the ability to putt and strike irons disappear completely. Delightfully frustrating but that feeling when you hit a real golf shot is truly exhilarating. Not unlike scooping a big pot in a cash game or tourney.

It is just such a process of continually honing and crafting your skills through practice/lessons. Think of it as levelling up in an RPG.
                  You sound like a natural.

Comment

Theresa Just do the Bandon trip. You'll be spending memberships fees in golf clubs for the rest of your time. Years will go by that you won't have a single golfing memory from in your club but you'll be speaking about Bandon forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                      On switching Mortgages. I'm at the end of a fixed period with AIB soon so i would be interested in switching BUT, would i have to give up punting online for a year similar to what i did when i applied for mortgage? Do they route through that carry on again or happy that you've been paying mortgage hassle free and have a decent sum of money spread over a few accounts?

I've no problem laying this out in front of someone in bank and asking. I do have a problem with other half over reacting on how much i punt despite it having zero negative effect on our financial situation. Deposits would be looked at. Withdrawals not so much.
                      They will root thought it every time unfortunately. Bank statements, revolut etc... it's still a cornerstone 'flag' for them. I was asked to identify several transactions (non-gambling) to satisfy their curiosity despite having mortgages for over 20 years.

You'll need up to six months 'clean' accounts.

PS... I believe it's not impossible to get exceptions if you work in the industry or the like but I wouldn't be banking on it
                      Last edited by BennyHiFi; 06-07-21, 10:27.

Comment

You sound like a natural.
                        I'll never claim to be a natural I'm just sadly obsessed. Coming from a hurling background helps a lot at the start. Golf gives me something else to do besides failing to run around after 21 year olds on hurling pitch.

Would love to see Tar play again considering he was scratch (or almost) as an amateur. I played with a 17yo lad (off 8) at the weekend and the kid is insanely good. He's improved 6 shots on last year and will be 5 or less soon enough. He was playing in the junior inter clubs recently and two opponents were 14 and off scratch. They're the real naturals.

Comment

I see Tom Kitchin is finally getting his comeuppance.

His food is amazing (ate in Castle Terrace in Edinburgh a few years back - looks like he had to close it permanently due to the virus) but he's a despicable shite and I hope we've seen the end of him on TV.
                          Last edited by BennyHiFi; 06-07-21, 10:41.

Comment

Theresa Just do the Bandon trip. You'll be spending memberships fees in golf clubs for the rest of your time. Years will go by that you won't have a single golfing memory from in your club but you'll be speaking about Bandon forever.
                            I told myself if I break par before Aug 1 I will. Little goal and motivation for me.

Shot a 32 front the other day then was leaking oil coming in to end up with 72.

It’s been awful weather and course booked by a tournament so haven’t been able to get back out. Chomping.

Speaking of, do any of the golf nerds here listen to Chasing Scratch Podcast? Good listening.

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

If you can't reverse around a corner you shouldn't drive at all. Lets be honest with ourselves, the driving test is a piece of piss. Mostly driving super cautiously in 50/60 zones.
                              Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Ooh... I see the new Andy Weir book is out. Duly added to my summer reading list.
                                No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                  If you can't reverse around a corner you shouldn't drive at all. Lets be honest with ourselves, the driving test is a piece of piss. Mostly driving super cautiously in 50/60 zones.
                                  I nearly crashed twice in my test (neither my fault) think he felt sorry for me and passed me as I wasn’t a good driver.
                                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                    Its a standard fail to drive too slowly in 50 km zones under 'progress'. Its not a milk cart Pat.

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Its a standard fail to drive too slowly in 50 km zones under 'progress'. Its not a milk cart Pat.
                                      Cautious driving doesn't mean slow Hitch. Come back to me when you've had a few lessons and I'll explain. You seem a bit old to be only learning how to drive now. Why did you put it off for so long?
                                      Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

On switching Mortgages. I'm at the end of a fixed period with AIB soon so i would be interested in switching BUT, would i have to give up punting online for a year similar to what i did when i applied for mortgage? Do they root through that carry on again or happy that you've been paying mortgage hassle free and have a decent sum of money spread over a few accounts?

I said outright to the broker that 'there are gambling transactions on my cc, should I wait 3 months and give you a clean set?' and he said it should be fine.

Awaiting to see if this is true...

Comment

In support of Hitch I reversed around a corner today. No kerb hugging tbh. The most dangerous aspect was that I was reversing onto a road that pedestrians were crossing willy nilly oblivious to my pointless manoeuvre and that I was mostly looking out for cars. Come to think of it I forgot to indicate.

Comment

Avant is basically a cherrypicking operation - will only finance in certain areas, to low LTVs and low loan-income ratios. We'd hit all 3 so curious to see how painful\easy the process is via the broker.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                              Ooh... I see the new Andy Weir book is out. Duly added to my summer reading list.
                                              I read that and his second one recently. Both good page turners.

Also read Ready Player Two as well, which I thought was trying a bit too hard to be honest. I enjoyed the first one, but it should have ended there. Second book OK, but takes a good third of the book to even get going at all I felt.

Comment

4 weeks today since my first jab, still waiting the second appointment like a few others I know. Helix running 5 or so days behind schedule for second jabs I think, so should be before this day week anyway hopefully.

Kids coughing and high temps at the weekend meant we all got tested on Sunday, but results came back negative thankfully (22 hours after the test, which is pretty good).

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

I read that and his second one recently. Both good page turners.

Also read Ready Player Two as well, which I thought was trying a bit too hard to be honest. I enjoyed the first one, but it should have ended there. Second book OK, but takes a good third of the book to even get going at all I felt.
                                                  A decent two books I read over the first lockdown were Daemon and Freedom by Daniel Suarez. They're a little bit along the lines of Ready Player One / Two. Highly entertaining, if you have a gap in your reading schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                    In support of Hitch I reversed around a corner today. No kerb hugging tbh. The most dangerous aspect was that I was reversing onto a road that pedestrians were crossing willy nilly oblivious to my pointless manoeuvre and that I was mostly looking out for cars. Come to think of it I forgot to indicate.
                                                    Are you meant to indicate when reversing?

Comment

A decent two books I read over the first lockdown were Daemon and Freedom by Daniel Suarez. They're a little bit along the lines of Ready Player One / Two. Highly entertaining, if you have a gap in your reading schedule.
                                                      I'm reading Recursion by Blake Crouch now, having already read another of his called Dark Matter. Enjoyable reads.

Comment

I'm reading Recursion by Blake Crouch now, having already read another of his called Dark Matter. Enjoyable reads.
                                                        Recursion is great! Must give Dark Matter a shot.

Comment

Are you meant to indicate when reversing?
                                                          Well I had the thought that maybe I should have when reversing around the corner, but now that you mention it I don't see the purpose of doing so.

Comment

You would certainly indicate reversing into a parking space.
                                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Delphi%20Spicy%20Chickpeas%20Salad-p4ql__width_900__height_900__zoomcrop_none__bgcolour_FFF.jpg
                                                              @Tar, do you by any chance know of places to get Delphi salad pots? I have been eating them for years for lunch and only knew a couple of places which had them. One has stopped stocking them and the other are only doing so every other week for the Summer. Much easier to pick up in random shops in London.

Last edited by hotspur; 06-07-21, 13:18.

Comment

Anyone rented a car recently? Is the need for a credit card still a thing or is there a way around? looking to rent a car for a few days in August.
                                                                airport, lol

Comment

Decent queue at Aviva this morning but still in & out in 35 mins tbf.

Comment

Seems ironic that gambling transactions on a house buyer would be a big no no. Considering the live gamble you are taking on a home .

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                      Decent queue at Aviva this morning but still in & out in 35 mins tbf.
                                                                      Missus was there also . Group hug ?

Comment

Dude in front of me exiting the car park of the Aviva couldn't hill start to save his life. 2m roll back and wheel burn. Did it three or four times.

I'd concentrate on getting that down Hitch.

Comment

Delphi%20Spicy%20Chickpeas%20Salad-p4ql__width_900__height_900__zoomcrop_none__bgcolour_FFF.jpg
                                                                          @Tar, do you by any chance know of places to get Delphi salad pots? I have been eating them for years for lunch and only knew a couple of places which had them. One has stopped stocking them and the other are only doing so every other week for the Summer. Much easier to pick up in random shops in London.

Afraid I've never seen that before and I'm quite the supermarket trawler. M&S just got in like a dozen new salads that look v good, if that ameliorates. Otherwise, stick em in the freezer.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                              Dude in front of me exiting the car park of the Aviva couldn't hill start to save his life. 2m roll back and wheel burn. Did it three or four times.

I'd concentrate on getting that down Hitch.
                                                                              How do people like that survive on the roads.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                Anyone rented a car recently? Is the need for a credit card still a thing or is there a way around? looking to rent a car for a few days in August.
                                                                                Credit card still a thing, needed for insurance purposes.
                                                                                No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                  Hello!

I'm in the car rental sector.

95% of suppliers require a CC (don't ask me which ones don't) - if you use a comparison site you should see "Debit Card Accepted" thing for the ones, or maybe even a filter for that - they'll probably cost more though.

Also, almost every rental company sold 90% of their fleet last summer, to remain liquid, and for various reasons are finding it very difficult to buy new cars, so prices are off the charts at the moment anyway.

Have heard stories of prices up to 10x the 2019 prices in some destinations, and horror stories of people rocking up to desks on the balearics only to be told there are absolutely no cars in the airport at all.

Tread carefully

Comment

How do people like that survive on the roads.
                                                                                    It's beyond me. Almost as bad as people who put L plates on arseways.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                      Afraid I've never seen that before and I'm quite the supermarket trawler. M&S just got in like a dozen new salads that look v good, if that ameliorates. Otherwise, stick em in the freezer.
                                                                                      It might well ameliorate, might well indeed, cheers.

Also is that the ghost of Mr Farrell appearing? You never know who might be lurking on here.

Comment

It might well ameliorate, might well indeed, cheers.

Also is that the ghost of Mr Farrell appearing? You never know who might be lurking on here.
                                                                                        I can confirm it is not Mr Farrell.

Comment

tracker?!
                                                                                          2964327583_bbdf41a84d_b.jpg
                                                                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

I think we will look back and consider that our handling of the whole saga was amongst the best in the world . As each week goes by more and more are being fully vaccinated. It's a race . I'm not sure what's going to happen in the UK but full stadiums and fully reopening seems a bit hasty . What a mess .
                                                                                              They're ready to take to the streets over on Boards

Comment

My brother, his fiance and his 12 year old daughter all told me today that they aren't getting the vaccine as long term side effects are not known.

My flabber was truly gasted.
                                                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                  My brother, his fiance and his 12 year old daughter all told me today that they aren't getting the vaccine as long term side effects are not known.

My flabber was truly gasted.
                                                                                                  No doubt until they want to go on holiday at some point in the future and they're told they can't go where they want unless vaxxed. Sadly, I know a few antivaxxers who have gone down this path. God they make me mad.

Edit to add I completely understand not wanting to vax their young child. That makes complete sense at this stage.

Comment

Mancini couldn't be anything other than Italian, could he. Quite the bella figura.

Hope we get some decent soccer and no play acting.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                                      I stumbled across a really interesting collection of occult books (alchemy, magic, occult philosophy, witchcraft, mystics, sorcery) today while travelling around the west (can't divulge my source!) dating from the 1920s to the 1970s.

Many look like first editions and were priced between e20 and e50 on the inside covers. However the owner wasn't there so I left my number.

Currently texting back and forth with him - he's just found some more from the same collection which I'd missed. Also saying a lot of those prices were old so maybe setting me up for the mug off.

Now in a frantic battle with him to Google the editons and know what the hell it is I'm attempting to buy and if the price he gives me for the lot is fair or foul.

Happy to spend a few hundred on them and, bob's yer uncle, I have a new collection to work on.

Did I ever tell youse the story of how I used to regularly order occult books into my local library as a young teen in mid-Ulster in the early 80s? The library was in the council offiices and the Rev. William McCrea (DUP/Free Presbyterian) was the head of the council around this time, sitting just meters from my burgeoning Satanism collection.

Hope this is the start of a new (dark) chapter in my life!

Comment

Edit to add I completely understand not wanting to vax their young child. That makes complete sense at this stage.
                                                                                                        None of them have the option to vaccinate their child, so it's a somewhat redundant option.
                                                                                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                          Yeah, you really need to test them for 10 or 15 years to be sure, to be sure

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

None of them have the option to vaccinate their child, so it's a somewhat redundant option.
                                                                                                            Fair enough but I know a few people in the UK and France already getting their kids vaccinated, and I'm not sure I agree at this stage.

Comment

Fair enough but I know a few people in the UK and France already getting their kids vaccinated, and I'm not sure I agree at this stage.
                                                                                                              Not if they are under 18 afaik.

Comment

BennyHiFi:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKfZvkVTo4OePxWmNxffYAf1nVe-U09wjV1Q&usqp=CAU.jpg

Comment

Mrs Lao Lao's niece in Canada turns 12 in November and has got her first Pfizer vaccine. Not sure if she's got her second one yet.

Anybody born in 2009 or earlier can get it Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Not if they are under 18 afaik.
                                                                                                                    I know a few under 18s,even as young as 13

Comment

Can't see England being too bothered by either of these.

Comment

I know a few under 18s,even as young as 13
                                                                                                                        Well, I was not aware of that and feel much the same as you about it. I'm even a bit uncomfortable with the likes of Lazare being double vaxxed when there is still a supply shortage.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                                          Can't see England being too bothered by either of these.
                                                                                                                          Italy usually have their moments recently, just when you have given up on them.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X