This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

He said he wasn't taking you. Spurs fan wouldn't want to bring a Chelsea fan anywhere I'm sure, even someone as zen as hotspur.
    Don't want to go anywhere for the Europa Conference League anyway...
    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Do you think you might get back on the road at some point? You had a great lot of travel at one point, and it seemed (at a distance at least) that you got a lot from it.
      Good question, and one I think about at times. It was more to do with a certain mindframe I was in and the challenges and questions I had of myself when I 1st did it. I loved the first few years of it, but in the last year of it, the attraction waned. I found the answers I was looking for and don't feel the the same pull for it and age has a major part of that.

I wouldn't rule it out completely to be honest, but if I did it would be because of someone rather than something. I am in a great spot here to be honest and am happy where I am and love work because I have a boss that is brilliant to work with.

Having said that, there is a good chance I am going to South Africa for a month stay at the end of the year

​​​
      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

Good question, and one I think about at times. It was more to do with a certain mindframe I was in and the challenges and questions I had of myself when I 1st did it. I loved the first few years of it, but in the last year of it, the attraction waned. I found the answers I was looking for and don't feel the the same pull for it and age has a major part of that.

I wouldn't rule it out completely to be honest, but if I did it would be because of someone rather than something. I am in a great spot here to be honest and am happy where I am and love work because I have a boss that is brilliant to work with.

Having said that, there is a good chance I am going to South Africa for a month stay at the end of the year

​​​
        That sounds like a perfect way of looking at it tbh!
        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

That's one phrase I never seem to get. "Begging the question" is another.
          Pat Kenny uses this phrase well. Its an exclamation point phrase needing build up with context. Said in a tone of voice of 'The question seems clear and obvious but I seem to have to ask it anyway'.
          Example. "Minister, money has been set aside for this since 2017 so it begs the question.....where are the public toilets?'.

A real Irish one is 'to all intents and purposes'

Comment

Welcome back anyway SatNav, hope you keep posting as you are missed from here.
            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post

Pat Kenny uses this phrase well. Its an exclamation point phrase needing build up with context. Said in a tone of voice of 'The question seems clear and obvious but I seem to have to ask it anyway'.
              Example. "Minister, money has been set aside for this since 2017 so it begs the question.....where are the public toilets?'.

A real Irish one is 'to all intents and purposes'

Reminds me of this

I argue very well. Ask any of my remaining friends. I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don't even invite me. You too can win arguments. Simply follow these rules:

* Drink Liquor.

Suppose you're at a party and some hotshot intellectual is expounding on the economy of Peru, a subject you know nothing about. If you're drinking some health-fanatic drink like grapefruit juice, you'll hang back, afraid to display your ignorance, while the hotshot enthralls your date. But if you drink several large martinis, you'll discover you have STRONG VIEWS about the Peruvian economy. You'll be a WEALTH of information. You'll argue forcefully, offering searing insights and possibly upsetting furniture. People will be impressed. Some may leave the room.

* Make things up.

Suppose, in the Peruvian economy argument, you are trying to prove Peruvians are underpaid, a position you base solely on the fact that YOU are underpaid, and you're damned if you're going to let a bunch of Peruvians be better off. DON'T say: ``I think Peruvians are underpaid.'' Say: ``The average Peruvian's salary in 1981 dollars adjusted for the revised tax base is $1,452.81 per annum, which is $836.07 before the mean gross poverty level.''

NOTE: Always make up exact figures.

If an opponent asks you where you got your information, make THAT up, too. Say: ``This information comes from Dr. Hovel T. Moon's study for the Buford Commission published May 9, 1982. Didn't you read it?'' Say this in the same tone of voice you would use to say ``You left your soiled underwear in my bath house.''

* Use meaningless but weightly-sounding words and phrases.

Memorize this list:

o Let me put it this way
              o In terms of
              o Vis-a-vis
              o Per se
              o As it were
              o Qua
              o So to speak

You should also memorize some Latin abbreviations such as ``Q.E.D.,'' ``e.g.,'' and ``i.e.'' These are all short for ``I speak Latin, and you do not.''

Here's how to use these words and phrases. Suppose you want to say: ``Peruvians would like to order appetizers more often, but they don't have enough money.''

You never win arguments talking like that. But you WILL win if you say: ``Let me put it this way. In terms of appetizers vis-a-vis Peruvians qua Peruvians, they would like to order them more often, so to speak, but they do not have enough money per se, as it were. Q.E.D.''

Only a fool would challenge that statement.

* Use snappy and irrelevant comebacks.

You need an arsenal of all-purpose irrelevant phrases to fire back at your opponents when they make valid points. The best are:

o You're begging the question.
              o You're being defensive.
              o Don't compare apples and oranges.
              o What are your parameters?

This last one is especially valuable. Nobody, other than mathematicians, has the vaguest idea what ``parameters'' means.

Here's how to use your comebacks:

o You say: ``As Abraham Lincoln said in 1873...''
              Your opponent says: ``Lincoln died in 1865.''
              You say: ``You're begging the question.''

OR

o You say: ``Liberians, like most Asians...''
              Your opponent says: ``Liberia is in Africa.''
              You say: ``You're being defensive.''

* Compare your opponent to Adolf Hitler.

This is your heavy artillery, for when your opponent is obviously right and you are spectacularly wrong. Bring Hitler up subtly. Say: ``That sounds suspiciously like something Adolf Hitler might say'' or ``You certainly do remind me of Adolf Hitler.''

So that's it: you now know how to out-argue anybody. Do not try to pull this on people who generally carry weapons

Comment

Great Lazarus moment there where the Italian lad who was faking injury suddenly hops up and celebrates the goal.
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

First house bid made

Comment

First house bid made
                    Bray......?

Comment

Welcome back anyway SatNav, hope you keep posting as you are missed from here.
                      Hopefully the Flushdraws will make a reappearance. Pretty sure they just gave up on the site due to it not working properly. Would like to hear more of their covid experience.
                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Duuno what happened to Italy but they make me love footie again. Brilliant

Comment

Here's another one for you.

Being deaf is a constant challenge. All my life I could never hear/understand all the words that is said to me in a conversation. If I was to guess at the % I actually hear, it would typically be maybe low 30s. That would be an enormous gap to bridge in order to participate in a conversation, and one I constantly need to battle otherwise I become a bystander pretending to be part of a group (forget jokes, I never hear enough to get it).

So what to do? The only way to bridge it is to be a constant active listener. Being an active listener doesn't mean paying attention, it means paying attention to try understand the key words in the conversation, usually there is only two or three words in every 10 that is key to understanding the topics. And once you have those two or three words, you can train your brain to fill in the gaps.

You know when you are passively listening to someone while watching TV and following both conversations, results are kind of mixed? That is me on my very best day while giving my full attention to just one person.

It's exhausting to be honest...
                          That's pretty interesting and more than likely a damn sight (there's another one) more impressive than others who use listening as purely a method of identifying when it's their turn to talk.
                          I found I used to, probably still do, engage in anactive listening at times, where I take the first 10 words, figure out how it can be turned to a conversation about ME and then go from there

It's a ridiculously powerful source of self reproach when you start to notice it and I try to avoid it as much as possible.

I'm just so damn interesting.
                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Bray......?
                            This dodgy-looking place. Think I posted it before.
                            Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 02-07-21, 20:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                              Duuno what happened to Italy but they make me love footie again. Brilliant
                              Yeah, all this rolling around faking injury is laudable shit alright

Comment

E5SQ0geWUAcrxMs?format=jpg&name=900x900.jpg

Comment

btw I was today years old when I learned that the reason for hedges around houses is to get around the 1.2m height restriction on front walls, as there is no height restriction on hedges.

You see in this place linked above - would you be allowed to build a slightly higher fence along the side? The regulations seem to be 1.2m front and 2m back, with no information on side height.

Comment

Yeah, all this rolling around faking injury is laudable shit alright
                                    Stick to toffhockey

Comment

This dodgy-looking place. Think I posted it before.
                                      Leafy

Id set the line on that going at about €685k
                                      Last edited by Dice75; 02-07-21, 21:09.

Comment

btw I was today years old when I learned that the reason for hedges around houses is to get around the 1.2m height restriction on front walls, as there is no height restriction on hedges.

You see in this place linked above - would you be allowed to build a slightly higher fence along the side? The regulations seem to be 1.2m front and 2m back, with no information on side height.
                                        Surely you'll be knocking down at least one of those walls to put in a parking space and charging point for your car!

Comment

Stick to toffhockey
                                          Do you enjoy the fakery? In all seriousness.

I go to my son's games on a Sunday and watch 12 year olds rolling round and pretending to be hurt. Shameful stuff and they're learning it off their 'heroes'.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Leafy

BER F.

Comment

BER F.
                                              Builder looking to buy in the area will whip that into a decent 5 bed A rating at cost.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Surely you'll be knocking down at least one of those walls to put in a parking space and charging point for your car!
                                                House next door to my brother they knocked down the garden wall for car park space without requisite permission from local authority or whatever. They have been instructed to rebuild it, despite the houses on the street originally not having such walls in the plans in the first place. I saw the builder there building a wall which they will then knock back down when they get the permission.

Comment

BER F.
                                                  I'd be more concerned about the size of the kitchen, and the limited options to extend it. Though I suppose you could knock into the adjacent living room.

Comment

I go to my son's games on a Sunday and watch 12 year olds rolling round and pretending to be hurt. Shameful stuff and they're learning it off their 'heroes'.
                                                    Honestly think that players who flagrantly and obviously dive should get red rather than a (sometimes) yellow. Cheating plain and simple and may do something to eradicate it from the game.

Comment

So we are buying 1 million vaccines off Romania.

Does this seem strange to anyone else, given we are all in the same EU procurement process? I heard a theory this is down to massive vaccine hesitancy amongst Romanians, which dates back to forced programs under the Ceaucescu regime.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Leafy

Surely not? BER F. Tiny. No available worksfolk. We're practically doing someone a favour by taking it off their hands.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

There's a gate at the back!

But, yeah, could be stuck with a tiny kitchen for a few years before the extension saves the day. Assuming we can afford an extension.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Honestly think that players who flagrantly and obviously dive should get red rather than a (sometimes) yellow. Cheating plain and simple and may do something to eradicate it from the game.
                                                            It actually gets rewarded as the players will knock the ball off the pitch to allow the 'injured' player get the attention he so direly needs as he rolls around clutching his face (why always the face) only to make a miraculous recovery once he's successfully stopped the game.

I'd love to see a manager with the balls to tell his players not to fake injury and not to stop playing if the other team does.

Comment

I can forgive the bit of fakery with the football they are playing. They are the complete package for me. A very good young goalkeeper that could hold that position for 20 years. A rock solid back four. A midfield that is able to defend well and within two seconds of winning possession launching an attack that their forwards are clinical in finishing off.

They are very un-Italian in how they are playing with breaking at speed, and not holding onto a 1-0 win. Even when they have been 3-0 up, they are full on pushing for another.

They faced a bit on an on-onslaught in the 2nd half from Belgium but they dealt with it. They rode their luck a bit and some of their play was cynical but you need that in your game. You've got to be able to have different skills/levels and be able to adapt to all situations.

Comment

By the way, I don't mean fakery by that Italian team specifically. They all do it and it detracts hugely from the sport.

Comment

So we are buying 1 million vaccines off Romania.

Does this seem strange to anyone else, given we are all in the same EU procurement process? I heard a theory this is down to massive vaccine hesitancy amongst Romanians, which dates back to forced programs under the Ceaucescu regime.
                                                                  Yeah that struck me as strange too, largely due to negative bias that Romania has something to offer us. The whole Done Deal-esque "vaccines for sale, unwanted gift" thing is weird. And why are they selling it to us They're probably gypsy tears.

Comment

I'd reckon about 70% of the football world see absolutely nothing wrong with using cynical tactics to gain an advantage. All in the game yo.
                                                                    I'm never comfortable with the crusade of a handful of western European nations (our near neighbours being self-appointed leaders) to tell everyone else that they wrong and should play in a more sporting and gentlemanly manner.

Comment

Benny's China tails has being bringing back fond memories of back packing through Asia, almost 20 years ago now - I think I may of shared some writings on this before but genuinely can't remember

Lop Buri - Part 1

There was a ringing in the distance, it seemed to be getting louder. The louder it got, the more my head hurt. I tried hard to open my eyes but there was something stuck to the right side of my face, a piece of paper. The ringing got louder. I peeled the paper from my face. There was a phone in the room and although it was still dark, I traced the sound and picked it up gingerly.

‘Haaaalooooo Sir’

‘..Eh…hello’

‘Mr Pick for you sir, he wait you now’

‘Sorry…pi..pick where…wh..what am I picking….’

‘Mr Pick sir, he wait you in reception, thank you sir’

‘Right….yeah..em….’

The phone went dead. I fumbled around for the light and read what had been stuck to my face;

WHITE GARDEN RESTAURANT

SPECIAL DAY TOUR X 2

PRICE : BAHT 300

PICK UP : 8:00 AM

MR PIK

‘Oh Shit’ – The memories of last night came flooding back; the restaurant, Thai whiskey, beer, the 7-11 store, Thai whiskey, the football, beer, Kylie, Thai whiskey, Kermit the Frog, beer and some more Thai whiskey. My head was so sore.

Last night had been the eve of Stuart’s birthday and we had just arrived in Lop Buri, an hour and a half train ride north of Ayuthaya. It was all still a bit of a haze. We had gotten a rickshaw from the station and checked into the Hotel Asia. Despite the corridors looking like the inside of a 1960’s prison situated in a Russian satellite state, the rooms were very plush indeed with en suite bathroom, marble tiled floors, a TV and now a phone. The staff emphasised the fact that the sheets were changed the morning we arrived and on that fact alone, it clearly deserved its 3 star rating from the Lonely Planet.

Being a Sunday, we found that there was not a lot to do in Lop Buri, but we managed to find a restaurant by the name of The White Garden. The owner, Mr Pik, had fed us and filled us with beer and Thai whiskey and even somehow managed to get Ste and I to sign up and pay for a tour starting at 8am. The whiskey and beer could have been part of his sales pitch, but I really can’t remember. Stuart’s powers of resistance where much greater than ours and he managed to keep saying no.

With the restaurant closed, the only other place open in Lop Buri was the local 7-11. When I was a kid, there was a 7-11 near where I lived. They used to sell Slush Puppies, green ones for a month before and after St. Patricks Day, long red strips of liquorish and ten penny bags of sweets. All of these were missing from the Lop Buri 7-11 but in their place was beer and Thai whiskey. The kid inside me was a little bit upset at the lack of nostalgia, but the adult inside of me swiftly told the kid to shut up or we wouldn’t get served.

With beer and whiskey stocks in hand, we returned to our hotel room where we had the pleasure of live premiership football, followed by ‘An Audience with Kylie Minogue’ which included a special duet with Kermit the Frog, something for both the adult and the child inside me!

After the wake up call, I somehow managed to get Ste out of his bed, stood under the shower for ten seconds and then made my way down through cell block H and into the reception area closely followed by Ste. In reception stood a man who I didn’t recall as Mr Pik but then again Thai whiskey is quite strong.

‘Mr Pik?’ I questioned cautiously

‘No sir, I Mr Pik driver, come, people wait, come, people wait’

And he was telling the truth. In the back of our tuk-tuk type taxi waiting outside were two Danish girls by the name of Stine and Anne. We managed to disguise the fact that we were still in fact drunk, introduced ourselves, took our seats and away we went. It was only at this point that I started to think about where we were actually going. What was the itinerary again?…an Aids Hospice, A Buddhist Temple, the Buddha Footprint…wait, hang on a second, an Aids Hospice? We couldn’t be going to an Aids Hospice. I must have got that wrong, picked it up from a news snippet in-between the football and Kylie.

‘Do you know where we’re going on this tour?’ It was a general question aimed at the three others in the back of the tuk-tuk

‘You’re a bit worried about the Aids Hospice?’ ventured Stine

I hadn’t got it wrong. We were going to an Aids Hospice as part of our tour of Lop Buri. There was a lengthy silence. We were all thinking the same thing, but nobody wanted to be the first to say it. Eventually I broke the silence;

‘Does anybody think that this is a kinda strange thing to be on a tourist trail?’

We all agreed that it was a bit odd. I mean, you don’t get on a Dublin Bus Tour, look down at your guide book and think: ‘Oh, I’m looking forward to seeing the Book of Kells in Trinity College, can’t wait to taste a pint of Guinness in the brewery at James Gate, and this new stop may prove interesting, the Intensive Care Unit at Beaumont Hospital.’

We hadn’t much more time to think about it as we soon arrived at the Hospice.

Comment

I'd love to see a manager with the balls to tell his players not to fake injury and not to stop playing if the other team does.
                                                                        Have mused that a bit in the past and came to the conclusion that because the whole manager world is so cut throat, where you can be sacked at a moments notice; that to give up an edge where your opponents can dive to their hearts content with minimal reprisals and where you refuse to because of your ethics would be borderline insanity.

Would be interesting if there was any study into it. i.e. difference in results if you played "straight edge" as it were vs diving/cheating.

Comment

ha! Keep em coming lao lao!!

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                            4 Months off the drink today, I'm quite proud of that achievement!
                                                                            Missed this, wasn't on all day yesterday.

​​​​​You're a warrior.
                                                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

All that fake injury stuff puts me off the Italians. Was rooting for Belgium to equalise.

2 of them went down within a few seconds of each other for fucks sake. A strong ref should card the offender afterwards. Pity they dont have the hooked up mike like in Rugby where you could hear him admonish the faker and then have a word with the captain outlining further incidents will not be tolerated.

Like the "Lazrus" lad. It could be retroactively carded as there was obviously no injury and no foul.

Sadlier and Didier were semi endorsing this type of bullshit allowing that it is cynical but an effective tactic for a winning team. Didier made the point that it's up to the ref to police and deal with it. I would love to see refs really step up to fakery with the assistant refs and VAR and make a point of dealing with it.

Diddi is it?

Comment

Tired old subject . Every world cup/euro cup in memory has these injury feigning issues even the great Brazil and yet the memory of who won each tournament is not tarnished too much. Many famous incidents. Grealish and Harry Kane go down fairly easily. If you let this cloud your opinion of how brilliantly Italy played well then you have a short memory.

Its definitely a problem but its widespread .

Comment

Tired old subject . Every world cup/euro cup in memory has these injury feigning issues even the great Brazil and yet the memory of who won each tournament is not tarnished too much. Many famous incidents. Grealish and Harry Kane go down fairly easily. If you let this cloud your opinion of how brilliantly Italy played well then you have a short memory.

Ah the memory is grand and they do play great football no question about it.

i can comfortably compartmentalise my admiration of their skill and my annoyance at their bullshit towards the end.

Now where did I leave my slippers

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Ah the memory is grand and they do play great football no question about it.

i can comfortably compartmentalise my admiration of their skill and my annoyance at their bullshit towards the end.

Now where did I leave my slippers
                                                                                    Was not specifically directed at yerself more a general comment towards the reactions .

Comment

Will it be the first Eurovision Euros double?

Comment

Well it's definitely widespread as players dive and feign injury in pretty much every game!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                          Please don't make that a thing...

Comment

Well it's definitely widespread as players dive and feign injury in pretty much every game!
                                                                                            It's made its way down to kids football which is really where the revulsion comes from for me.

There's one boy in particular who does it in my son's team. Like clockwork, every time he's tackled he's down rolling around faking hurt. How the manager lets him away with it is beyond me.

It's scummy behaviour, end of. You get malarkey in all sports to some extent but the tolerance for it in soccer is off the charts.

Comment

Have mused that a bit in the past and came to the conclusion that because the whole manager world is so cut throat, where you can be sacked at a moments notice; that to give up an edge where your opponents can dive to their hearts content with minimal reprisals and where you refuse to because of your ethics would be borderline insanity.

Would be interesting if there was any study into it. i.e. difference in results if you played "straight edge" as it were vs diving/cheating.
                                                                                              You might find that it pays as the refs would start giving your team every marginal decision.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Yeah that struck me as strange too, largely due to negative bias that Romania has something to offer us. The whole Done Deal-esque "vaccines for sale, unwanted gift" thing is weird. And why are they selling it to us They're probably gypsy tears.
                                                                                                Did a bit of reading and apparently they're genuinely 'spare' given their low uptake (and our high).

No doubt the €€€ helps too.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                    I can only access IPB from 1 device, unable to access it from others, getting 500 error. Any insights on how to solve?
                                                                                                    There is a problem accessing www.irishpokerboards.com itself, so use www.irishpokerboards.com/forum and it should work OK.

Comment

The problem is in the application of the rules . If a player is fouled in the penalty area and doesnt go down . No peno. If a player feigns injury the rule is yellow card. The rules are there.

Comment

AJ obv having a lie in.

Comment

Lao Lao, I remember Mr Pik and hospice incident.

Comment

AJ obv having a lie in.
                                                                                                            I'm refusing to even acknowledge the concept of that double.

Comment

Tough stage in TdF today. Roglic destroyed. No chance.

Comment

Andy Farrell and Mike Catt out. Terrible selections in Carbery, Gibson park, Dillane and the tactics are akin to kids stuff. Heads up and play what you see whilst getting beaten back by good D and then kick the ball away for the past year and a half. No subtly or tactics worthy of the name…

It’s not like we don’t have world class coaches available in Leo Cullen and Stuart Lancaster.
                                                                                                                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                  I'd reckon about 70% of the football world see absolutely nothing wrong with using cynical tactics to gain an advantage. All in the game yo.
                                                                                                                  I'm never comfortable with the crusade of a handful of western European nations (our near neighbours being self-appointed leaders) to tell everyone else that they wrong and should play in a more sporting and gentlemanly manner.
                                                                                                                  Most sports have some element of gamesmanship which is celebrated. The sneaky 7 who gets away with playing the ball on the ground, the cricketers sledging to put them off, sneaky elbows in the gas etc etc

Diving is one thing but pretending to be injured after to sell it is what people hate or at least I do.

Comment

Impressive from Pogacar today. Blew them all apart. Hard not to see him winning in Paris barring a major accident.

Comment

Raoul Duke III did you venture into Swans after Tayto Park?

Comment

Impressive from Pogacar today. Blew them all apart. Hard not to see him winning in Paris barring a major accident.
                                                                                                                        Are they all still hepped up on goofballs like the auld days?
                                                                                                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

How handy would it be to get a booking in Potatos Park over the next two weeks?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X