This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Cheers man, will try some smoking at the weekend.

Have done a lot of indirect stuff. Did some marinated thighs last night, had them in a pan in the centre for about 40 mins, basted a little. Then stuck them on direct for a few mins each side. Did the same with wings the other night and they were incredible.

Have just about ran out of gas already lol, three weeks in.
    I thought we discussed previously not to mention thighs...
    This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Man, I detest socks.
      Always the same, the poor sock get discarded as soon as you meet a woman. I bet at one time you crawled over cold floorboards to get a comfy sock on .

I bet CourierCollie loves socks .

Comment

Drive slower in potentially dangerous situations! Windy narrow mountain road on summer day...danger..people likely to be out walking ..slow down a bit. So many accidents down to poor decisions and so avoidable.

Had a girl nearly run me over when I was walking on the Military road in the mountains. I mean she saw me walking towards her and gave a little room but I think she panicked a bit as there were cars coming in the opposite direction. So instead of slowing down a bit and comfortably negotiating the situation she maintains speed and veers towards me at the critical juncture presumably to avoid scraping a mirror. In her panic she just knee jerked pulled on the wheel.

I have seen idiots doing at least 70/80 on that road.
        Dont use it much now.

Dont how much they go into potentially dangerous situations in the current driving test but should be the most fundamental core part of it.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

You do also have to think about the career/income earning implications of stepping out of the work force for a number of years as well. Part-time working is an attractive way of keeping the second career in a family going but I find a 4 day week is needed as people on a 3 day week end up working 3.5 days anyway (and just not getting pad for it). The childcare providers aren't particularly flexible around this point though....

We were fortunate that childcare made financial sense for us regardless and it was more about what suited us (MrsV in particular as she carries the majority of the childminding load). It's pretty important to be able to have these conversations as it's not all about the money and there are a number of elements that come into it. The pandemic has allowed me to contribute a bit more but also to appreciate the amount that MrsV does to keep the show on the road.

The good news for us is that we'll be reentering the world of creches in a year or so as we have number 2 expected in September. A 6 year gap since our first may not have been wise so when I start posting at odds hours of the night in the future and am particularly snarky you'll all know why!!
          Congrats!

I agree it's not all about the most profitable in the moment. There's also a value to maintaining employment from a career progression POV. And also long service entitlements.
          Plus, I know some people who were to make a small lose on a second income and childcare for the sake of their sanity

Comment

Tightly whities only., preferably one size too small.
            You've just sent Raoul off in search of a sock.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Always the same, the poor sock get discarded as soon as you meet a woman. I bet at one time you crawled over cold floorboards to get a comfy sock on .

And sash windows.
              This too shall pass.

Comment

You've just sent Raoul off in search of a sock.
                I already have the Strewelpeter Super Salami™.

Opened up this monster at lunchtime to console myself with the shittiness of the weather.

20210528_130528.jpg
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Well I don't know what kind of filthy animal would wear any footwear, other than flip flops, without socks.
                  Person...Woman...Man......Camera..TV

Comment

wow, nice!!!

Comment

Been nice dipping back into the BBV recently but sad to see jbravado taking a break, come back soon sir.
                      "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                          Drive slower in potentially dangerous situations!

Dont how much they go into potentially dangerous situations in the current driving test but should be the most fundamental core part of it.
                          Its the vast majority of the theory test anyway. I'm only a few hours into actual driving and not killing people has been high on the instructors agenda so far.
                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Plus, I know some people who were to make a small lose on a second income and childcare for the sake of their sanity
                            I'd say that's most people tbh. kids are boring as fck and probably most people quite like their jobs.

Comment

Please avoid hetero-northern-hemisphere-seasonal terminology ty ty.

Comment

A nice humble thought to bring us into the weekend as we think of the less fortunate than us, such as the Australians braving a winter as we speak - a winter that, at 17 degrees in Sydney, is warmer than our summer.

Comment

Those ads remind me of my childhood fav programmes

The Tomorrow People and The Children of the Stones. Was terrified of the latter
                                  Continuing my lockdown obsession with largely forgotten 70s and 80s British TV shows, I bought this book (and its vol.2, 1980s companion) earlier in the week.

Scarred For Life Volume One is an affectionate look at the darker side of pop culture in the 1970s. Public information films, scary kids' TV shows, bleak adult dramas, dystopian sci-fi, savage horror films, violent comics, horror-themed toys and sweets, and the huge boom in paranormal paraphernalia; all this and much more is covered in-depth. Prepare to relive your childhood nightmares. The things that made us... scarred for life!

What led me to it?

Anyone ever seen Johnny Jarvis? A superb slice of coming of age British kitchen sink drama set at the end of the 70s and through the early Thatcher years of the 80s. It was only released on DVD a couple of years back and just finished it last night.

Very amazing - first TV appearance for Kathy Burke and Joe McGann as well as a cast of great British character actors who were largely unknown at the time.

Highly recommended - can't believe I was only 12 when I watched it and it has stayed with me ever since AND didn't disappoint! Sex, drugs, rock n'roll, racism, homosexuality, class, criminality and domestic banality all rolled into six, tight 50 minute episodes.

And it's all the more poignant cos Mark Farmer, the blonde lead (who was a great actor and went on to do very well in a couple of season of Minder as well as a mainstream sitcom before giving up acting for music) died a few year back aged just 54.

Seek it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Christ.

I am all about helping to make people aware of things they might say that unknowingly offend people. This is a noble cause. I do it all the time and I like to be called up on it as sometimes I’m legit blind. Lots of times I’m legit blind. Lots of times I’m legit blind but also stubborn. It’s good learning and thinking.

I have no idea how misnaming a fucking season is offensive.
                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Also her woke head is Gregorian centric.

She need to be Lunar inclusive.
                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

This is how you get Trump. And Brexit.

Comment

I'd say that's most people tbh. kids are boring as fck and probably most people quite like their jobs.
                                          Ah they're not the worst tbf. Mrs has been away all week and not back till Sunday so have been experimenting on them all week. Treated them to a McDonalds for luch today for towing the line all week but stocked up on extra strawberry milkshakes which are stashed in the fridge. Slowly dripfeeding them to try hit the hyperness and crash crescendo for the nut 8pm spot to ensure a decent lie in in the morning for myself. It's all about the maths really

Comment

Its the vast majority of the theory test anyway. I'm only a few hours into actual driving and not killing people has been high on the instructors agenda so far.
                                            In my day it was road test which consisted of a bit of driving, sudden stop, hill start and reverse around a corner. The theory part was looking at road signs and guessing correctly!

Tester: "Watch out for those kids
                                            Me: "Dont worry I'll get them"

Comment

Havent even got my head around the whole "they" pronoun thing. My head is melted from Twityer and I dont even have an account.

Comment

@Solks

"Happy day"

Comment

In my day it was road test which consisted of a bit of driving, sudden stop, hill start and reverse around a corner. The theory part was looking at road signs and guessing correctly!

Tester: "Watch out for those kids
                                                  Me: "Dont worry I'll get them"
                                                  Same. Told them I could drive when a promotion came up and they threw a company car at me. Couldnt drive for shit. Had to apply for test immediately to procure a Provisional Licence as I had one 10 years before for getting into pubs

Failed first test and reapplied and got a postponment a week later, obvs failed that too after nearly wiping out a line of parked cars on the narrow Churchtown route. Pulled up between the 108 and Comans at the lights about 500 yards from making it back alive to Test Centre just as the Ireland v Saudi WC match finished and we were swarmed by a few dozen drunken fans jumping on the bonnet. Tester had lost the will to live at this stage and ordered me to swap seats.

Crashed the car the following day into our Receptionist and had to confess to the No Full Licence malarkey. MD not happy having to pay for repairs in cash, took an air swing at me and told me to have a Full Licence by end of month or else. Different times really. Passed third time thank fook.

Comment

That fucking tweet.

What do we do about timezones now.

Comment

it's amazing how triggered you all get because someone is trying to be nice

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                        Trying to be nice would simply doing as they intended without the fanfare . I'm nice but I'm not going to tweet about it. Would rather be considered a bollix. Sycophants can be triggersome.

Comment

@Solks

"Happy day"
                                                          They got you Dinekes. * Drives Cortina out of town (or similar)

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

Continuing my lockdown obsession with largely forgotten 70s and 80s British TV shows, I bought this book (and its vol.2, 1980s companion) earlier in the week.

Scarred For Life Volume One is an affectionate look at the darker side of pop culture in the 1970s. Public information films, scary kids' TV shows, bleak adult dramas, dystopian sci-fi, savage horror films, violent comics, horror-themed toys and sweets, and the huge boom in paranormal paraphernalia; all this and much more is covered in-depth. Prepare to relive your childhood nightmares. The things that made us... scarred for life!

What led me to it?

Anyone ever seen Johnny Jarvis? A superb slice of coming of age British kitchen sink drama set at the end of the 70s and through the early Thatcher years of the 80s. It was only released on DVD a couple of years back and just finished it last night.

Very amazing - first TV appearance for Kathy Burke and Joe McGann as well as a cast of great British character actors who were largely unknown at the time.

Highly recommended - can't believe I was only 12 when I watched it and it has stayed with me ever since AND didn't disappoint! Sex, drugs, rock n'roll, racism, homosexuality, class, criminality and domestic banality all rolled into six, tight 50 minute episodes.

And it's all the more poignant cos Mark Farmer, the blonde lead (who was a great actor and went on to do very well in a couple of season of Minder as well as a mainstream sitcom before giving up acting for music) died a few year back aged just 54.

Seek it out.

Your geekyness never fails to impress .

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

what's your thoughts on underpants?
                                                              Hate socks, hate underwear, hate gloves. Extremities need to be free!

Comment

My son is currently learning to drive, has absolutely no interest but that's another matter, we live in the country and needs to learn. I understand its more structured now with logged lessons etc but what i find bizarre is after one lesson the instructor expected me to take him on a road and help him practice !

The guy couldn't figure out the biting point, let alone understand braking.

3 lessons in and he is understanding the fundamentals but cant see why i wont take him on the road without a dual control car, would love to tell the instructor to take him out without the benefit of having pedals on his side , its like after one flying lesson the instructor says work away and sits in the back, madness !

I understand a lot of folk would have messed around in the drive etc but he came from not knowing what the pedals did, had zero interest. Im sure it will all click in someday and he can drive me home from the pub.
                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Is that Poots lad the best the DUP could russell up?

Comment

Your geekyness never fails to impress .
                                                                    Thank you for caring. I wish someone else did. Trying to find anyone to talk to about such things is largely impossible. At least I have you guys.

Currently playing a bunch of 1980s compilations and soundtracks I picked up fairly cheap during the week - Miami Vice III is a highlight as is Now Dance 1986 -The 12" Remixes.

Also reading the Boy's Own fanzine compendium from the birth of acid house when football casuals and soul boys discovered good drugs and even better records (mostly written by Andrew Weatherall and Terry Farley).

Lovely hardback, embossed edition which has already trebled in value since I bought it last summer.

Oh...and Paul Carberry's autobiography which is pretty good too.

There's not enough hours in the day to consume interesting shit!
                                                                    Last edited by BennyHiFi; 28-05-21, 18:13.

Comment

She just sounds like a complete and utter insufferable cunt of the highest order

Originally posted by Hectorjelly
                                                                      You need to work on your trolling - 2/10

Comment

Ha. Fair. What does that say about me!

But really... are you a man who will make sure he gets the person he is speaking to's relative position on earth and their local climate during a series of month mapping correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                          He is a Man Of The People and he's telling them what they want to hear.

Comment

He is a Man Of The People and he's telling them what they want to hear.
                                                                            Thought Foster getting £125k in damages over a defamatory tweet was a bigger story https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...-dr-christian/

Comment

No. It's passive aggressive nonsense.

It's designed to make people feel bad about themselves.
                                                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Mellor, any plans for Q3?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                  Mellor, any plans for Q3?
                                                                                  For fucks sake Lazare, you're such an inconsiderate prick.

Are you talking about calendar Q3 or Fiscal Q3. The tax year in Australia runs from July 1st to June 30th.

I think you need to take a good long hard look at yourself in the mirror and try put yourself in Mellors position and how he feels right now.

Mellor - Hope you're OK hun?

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

Well as your know it’s on a bend so it’s not like he crosses over to approach the cyclists, he did so to avoid cars parked there, so at some point he either crosses the white line to continue or reverses back up the road. The cyclists were in different parts of the road, and the report suggests the victim was already falling before being hit so I’m not sure how you can have such conviction that the motorists actions were worthy of a custodial sentence. No guilty mind there at all in my view.
                                                                                    Because its a solid white line and he's not allowed across it.

Originally posted by Rules of the road
                                                                                    Single or double continuous white lines along the centre of the road: All traffic must keep to the left of the line (except in an emergency or for access).
                                                                                    Even if he considers that having to wait for mass to finish constitutes an emergency when something is coming at him he has to stop. That she was falling because the he was flying towards them at speed and they were being forced to get out of his way. Absolutely crazy but wholly expected verdict

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                      For fucks sake Lazare, you're such an inconsiderate prick.

Are you talking about calendar Q3 or Fiscal Q3. The tax year in Australia runs from July 1st to June 30th.

I think you need to take a good long hard look at yourself in the mirror and try put yourself in Mellors position and how he feels right now.

Mellor - Hope you're OK hun?
                                                                                      Fuck. Whichever Q is warmer.

Comment

My son is currently learning to drive, has absolutely no interest but that's another matter, we live in the country and needs to learn. I understand its more structured now with logged lessons etc but what i find bizarre is after one lesson the instructor expected me to take him on a road and help him practice !

3 lessons in and he is understanding the fundamentals but cant see why i wont take him on the road without a dual control car, would love to tell the instructor to take him out without the benefit of having pedals on his side , its like after one flying lesson the instructor says work away and sits in the back, madness !

I understand a lot of folk would have messed around in the drive etc but he came from not knowing what the pedals did, had zero interest. Im sure it will all click in someday and he can drive me home from the pub.
                                                                                        Three (two-hour) lessons done here also, and the idea of being able to drive after 12 hours does seem quite the reach. The first two hours was in a quiet estate where he tried to teach me how to start a car and use a clutch (wtf is with clutches), then the second lesson he says - alrighty, take a left, take a right, straight ahead, stop at the junction, and out you go. I'm there in my head thinking which is the thing for stopping the car (still not fully clear on that tbh). I feel there should be some learning level between giving a quick run-through of how to start and stop a car, and actually driving around like a driver, with all those driver responsibilities.

The best thing might be to get him some standby lessons to top up his existing lessons, rather than risking your own car, heart, and health.

Comment

I already have the Strewelpeter Super Salami™.

Opened up this monster at lunchtime to console myself with the shittiness of the weather.
                                                                                          How are the Pizza's going for you ? I've run out of Salami from the amount that are being used on them! must reload soon don't think I'll make it over before winter (errm Q4, wouldn't like to offend HJ )

Comment

Would you not bring him out to an industrial estate or the likes at the weekend or at night?

Comment

Had a close one out running with the dog on a lead on a narrow bog road today, a jeep was coming along behind me and I glanced back saw it was a neighbour and that he was keeping as far as he could over which is still fairly tight and was going to pass me and the dog slow enough. What I didn't notice was that he was towing a wide trailer and once the jeep was past me I was starting to ease out and was barely able to get out of the way, I got a tiny scrape from the wheel arch, was very lucky not to get smashed up badly.

Comment

Three (two-hour) lessons done here also, and the idea of being able to drive after 12 hours does seem quite the reach. The first two hours was in a quiet estate where he tried to teach me how to start a car and use a clutch (wtf is with clutches), then the second lesson he says - alrighty, take a left, take a right, straight ahead, stop at the junction, and out you go. I'm there in my head thinking which is the thing for stopping the car (still not fully clear on that tbh). I feel there should be some learning level between giving a quick run-through of how to start and stop a car, and actually driving around like a driver, with all those driver responsibilities.

The best thing might be to get him some standby lessons to top up his existing lessons, rather than risking your own car, heart, and health.
                                                                                                Lol, you probably don't even know the differences between four stroke and two stroke petrol engines, and diesel engines. Don't get me started on the Wankel engine.

Comment

For me the biggest lesson in the reason for a clutch was using a lathe in metalwork which didn't have one. The sound of people changing speed/gear without switching the motor off has an memorable impact.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

How are the Pizza's going for you ? I've run out of Salami from the amount that are being used on them! must reload soon don't think I'll make it over before winter (errm Q4, wouldn't like to offend HJ )
                                                                                                    Going great, the dough making was the hardest. Using Caputo Red now and got the hang of it. Got a proving box, stick the dough balls in that in a dark cupboard until ready to cook.
                                                                                                    Also learned not to cook on the top heat, too hard to control. Cook on about 400c now, about 2 mins with a good few spins.
                                                                                                    Pizza night once a week, even the vegetarian teenage dirtbag is all over it. All about the assembly line.

I think next I want to make a fancier sauce and experiment with a few more pizza styles. And start using it to cook some other stuff in a griddle pan.

But a great piece of kit and the 16" was an excellent call, ty.

Comment

The parma ham was the best thing on the pizzas imo, followed by very thinly sliced salami 'Happy'. The more flavoursome salamis don't seem to cook as well.

Comment

Wealthy is clearly 'anyone who earns more than me'.

Joking aside, we do have an awful habit of conflating income and wealth. As everyone correctly says, you can be on what seems like a high income but have fuck all disposable income, plus high debts and low assets. Remember that proper wealth formation in Ireland is a fairly recent thing.
                                                                                                        The number of houses (probably 7 figures) with brand new Tesla's and Land Rovers outside around D6 is quite something. The cashflow to service all of that.

Comment

I guess jbravado​​​​​​ never went on the DMT retreat in the end
                                                                                                          https://bigthink.com/amp/dmt-beings-...mpression=true

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                            He said the loudest No so yes he is their messiah
                                                                                                            A deluded fool leading a people into their chosen lands without borders

Comment

On the learning to drive lark, my Dad always said that our (me and my siblings) 18th birthday present would be driving lessons, if we wanted them.

One of my sisters and myself took him up on the offer (the other two regreted not doing it) so when I hit 18, I got a batch of lessons. I'm nearly sure back then (25 years ago) a lesson cost 12 punts an hour but when you bought a pack of 10, you got it for 110 quid. Could be wrong but am nearly sure that was it.

Anyway, the 10 hours wasn't enough. As far as the aul lad was concerned, you needed 200 hours of driving on top of the lessons before you sat your test. And there was to be no Tom foolery about it, all 200 hours would be in his car with him supervising the driving.

In fairness to him, it wasn't that I just drove him around to places he wanted to go to, he made the time and effort to get out for at least an hour long drive 3 or 4 times a week and every so often, we'd head off on a long drive, so for example we get up early on a Saturday morning, drive to Galway, have lunch and drive back. This was way before them there fancy motorways so that trip would get you 7-8 hours driving time.

In about 7-8 months, I'd racked up the 200 hours and went for the test. Aced it first time time round with no problems at all. At the time, as an impatient little bollix of an 18 year old, I was thinking 'what's this 200 hour shite about' but looking back, it makes total sense and was a genius idea. Either that or I'm turning into the aul lad quicker than I'm willing to admit.

Comment

Awesome! You will have to come up with another uplifting set of initials after starting strong with CLK.
                                                                                                                Prime opportunity for SLK.
                                                                                                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Because its a solid white line and he's not allowed across it.

Even if he considers that having to wait for mass to finish constitutes an emergency when something is coming at him he has to stop. That she was falling because the he was flying towards them at speed and they were being forced to get out of his way. Absolutely crazy but wholly expected verdict
                                                                                                                  How much time do you think he had to consider all these options given he was driving around a corner? I think you’re being unfairly harsh.

Comment

When everyone's grandkids are saying JFM, AMJ, JAS, OND and calling you out for saying summer (some people don't even have seasons you seasonist! Maybe months being abstracted will then follow for some tribes sake) that is when I can point to RDIII and say people do not get more conservative as they age, the youth get more liberal than the previous gen while everybody else gets stuck in their ways. It's already happening with pronouns, non-binary and whatever else.

Comment

WFH discussion is interesting. I have been in Barbados since December. Would recommend

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                                        I guess jbravado​​​​​​ never went on the DMT retreat in the end
                                                                                                                        https://bigthink.com/amp/dmt-beings-...mpression=true
                                                                                                                        Reminds me of this story.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.iri...219%3fmode=amp
                                                                                                                        He was accused of unlawfully importing 8.5kg of a substance called N,N-Dimethyltryptamine at Terminal 2 at Dublin Airport on November 13th, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

How much time do you think he had to consider all these options given he was driving around a corner? I think you’re being unfairly harsh.
                                                                                                                          He killed a woman though his driving. Is it fair to the woman family?

I really don't get your sympathy for the driver. On the wrong side of the road and going too fast. When I was learning to drive, it was hammered into me to always allow for the unexpected and drive accordingly.
                                                                                                                          ​​​​​​
                                                                                                                          it was a shocking bad verdict and an absolute disgrace.
                                                                                                                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X